PDA

View Full Version : Mike Reilly, chairman Hibs Supporters' club - who are you?

Capt Mainwaring
25-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Never met the guy and he's never asked for my views on anything to do with Hibs. I resent therefore the perception that he speaks for the general body of Hibs supporters.

Heard him gripe at the AGM about conversations he said he had with Hyndland and it appears he has a personal axe to grind with the Board and the club.

So I'm more than a little peeved when his rentaquotes appear in the Sun around the new manager and options that were frankly never on the table

"Mike Reilly, chairman of the Hibs Supporters' club, said: "It seems to be that the cheap option is the answer to them.

"They had a big option to get Gordon Strachan and there was a rumour going round that Alex Miller was going to be the director of football. They had the opportunity to steady a ship and they've not taken it." Really? Gordon Strachan was a big option? Alex Miller was an opportunity that should have been taken? ( and welcomed by the supporters?)

Don't think so Mike. Wake up son and get real. He does not speak for me nor the general body of Hibs supporters.

CallumLaidlaw
25-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I do often wonder who these people think they are speaking on behalf of the whole hibs support.

Personally, althoughI don't know much about Fenlon, I'd rather give him a chance than a strachan, miller,Jeffries, jimmy calderwood.

WellingtonHibby
26-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Whoever he is, he come across as an ill-informed trumpet who gets all his opinions and "facts" from message boards and hearsay and formulates knee jerk, reactionary opinions on the basis of them. He certainly dosent represent my views and i certainly wouldnt be crass enough to second guess the actions board of a football club, in a national newspaper based upon "text messages fae ma pals" - in fact, i would go as far to say as he seems the cheap option, for the chairman of the HSC.

WellingtonHibby
26-11-2011, 12:59 AM
....and, as this has really got my goat, would he not take the chance to unite his members behind the club once more, move forward and wipe the slate clean and give the guy the benefit of the doubt? Why create unncecessary division and be critical? Thats not what supporters do, pal. They support, they trust and they have faith, the guy has no reason to be critical of PF, Hibs or how we have gone about landing him, he has just shot his mouth of, imagining himself to be a billy big baws and worthy of passing judgement on something he clearly knows very little about,

aplogies if you post on here Mike, but its bloody poor form and i resent your personal views being passed off representative of the Hibs support.

Fife-Hibee
26-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Nor does he represent me, infact ive never even heard of him ! Where do they find these people !:confused:

Pete
26-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Never met the guy and he's never asked for my views on anything to do with Hibs. I resent therefore the perception that he speaks for the general body of Hibs supporters.

Heard him gripe at the AGM about conversations he said he had with Hyndland and it appears he has a personal axe to grind with the Board and the club.

So I'm more than a little peeved when his rentaquotes appear in the Sun around the new manager and options that were frankly never on the table

"Mike Reilly, chairman of the Hibs Supporters' club, said: "It seems to be that the cheap option is the answer to them.

"They had a big option to get Gordon Strachan and there was a rumour going round that Alex Miller was going to be the director of football. They had the opportunity to steady a ship and they've not taken it." Really? Gordon Strachan was a big option? Alex Miller was an opportunity that should have been taken? ( and welcomed by the supporters?)

Don't think so Mike. Wake up son and get real. He does not speak for me nor the general body of Hibs supporters.

I wouldn't take this at face value. This Mike Riley might be fairly pleased with the appointment for all we know but they have the ability to twist words and quote out of context.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 01:28 AM
We've heard from Mr Reilly and Mr Sands in recent days, and it seems a worrying development. Hibs fans reps have generally had the class to shut up about such matters, unlike their Yam counterparts, who generally love to make a fool of themselves.

Very few people I know consider the Strachan option as either feasible or desirable, and Lex as DOF seems one of those strange rumors rather than real options.

A lot of people, on the other hand, seem to consider Fenlon a decent appointment.

Auckland Hibs
26-11-2011, 02:19 AM

I read this also and TBH it really pissed me off - if the bloke has been misquoted or part of his comments have been isolated into the above statement then fair play. However, I can't believe that he's going on about Alex Miller and Strachan as being realistic options for the hot seat at ER!?

If you post on here Mike then I'd like to hear why you thought the statement above would improve the current atmosphere at ER? Also, it certainly does not represent most of the posts I have read on here in the last week where we are keen to give the new manager a clean slate and our full support.

E10 Rifle
26-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Makes you wonder whether the biggest problem at Easter Road is not the players but us, the fans:hide:

euro Hibby
26-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Agree / they are not the right comments to make. The club has made its selection and its of no

use wimpering ! In football there have been many instances when the expensive solution of

appointing a high profile manager fails miserably , so there is nothing wrong in todays economic climate

of taking a prudent approach. If our squad is so bad, not even Sir Alex would improve them much !!

I am also not sure that Directors of Football are necessary in clubs with so few playing staff ! For me

it would be a waste of a wage !

pentlando
26-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Makes you wonder whether the biggest problem at Easter Road is not the players but us, the fans:hide:

:agree:Take a look at our home record, speaks volumes

Hibby70
26-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Makes you wonder whether the biggest problem at Easter Road is not the players but us, the fans:hide: We certainly dont help matters. Time for a real change in attitude I hope - but its the players that need to lead by example.

Beefster
26-11-2011, 07:26 AM

The sooner we drive the rest of the fans away, the better by the sounds of it.

N.Wales Hibby
26-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I would be interested in how many people does Mr Reilly speaks for. I do not share his views and am sure the vast majority of Hibs fans are of the same opinion. Ok Pat Fenlon may not have been most peoples first choice as discussed on the forums but the decision has been made and we have to give him a chance and back him 100%. Mr Reilly is entitled to have his opinion as we all are but as a Hibs supporter he does not speak for me.

Hibbyradge
26-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I didn't want Strachan and I'm led to believe, he doesn't want us.

Miller is hated by a large percentage of Hibs fans so I'm baffled with the suggestion that he could return.

SouthamptonHibs
26-11-2011, 07:55 AM

We can't blame the fans, there's not enough of us left going to games! 7,500/8,000 we can boo, moan and jump around all day there's hardly enough of us to make a noise.
The problem with Easter road is it has a large green area in the middle of four stands and the players we have are no good at playing on the green bit

lyonhibs
26-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Aye, it's ****in' diabolical, thanks to the limp wristed efforts of our players. What's your point caller?

And to these (self??) appointed fans chirfs of nebulous (made up??) fans bodies that no-one has either heard of, let alone is a member of, please do shut the hell up. The sample group fro which you draw your "me and most Hibs fans" conclusions are laughable and totally unrepresentative.

Beefster
26-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Before folk get on their high horses, presumably this Reilly character speaks for all the various supporters' assoc? If so, he's probably got more of a mandate to speak on behalf of Hibs fans than anyone else.

hibiedude
26-11-2011, 07:59 AM

You make a great point then spoil it by making the same mistake as Mike- see the bit underlined unless your speaking for general body of Hibs supporters.

Betty Boop
26-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Its hardly Mike Reilly's fault if he is approached for his comments from the press. He is only giving his opinion, I can't see where he claims to speak on behalf of all Hibs fans. :confused:

Judas Iscariot
26-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Have we got a 100% away record like?

Naw..

That's ***** tae

Reaper
26-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Nor does he represent me, infact ive never even heard of him ! Where do they find these people !:confused:

:top marks

HibeeMG
26-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Its hardly Mike Reilly's fault if he is approached for his comments from the press. He is only giving his opinion, I can't see where he claims to speak on behalf of all Hibs fans. :confused:

The problem is that the press didn't approach him as just a regular Hibs fan.

If the press approached an MP for an opinion, it wouldn't be treated as the opinion of a regular Joe Bloggs.

With great power comes great responsibility! :greengrin

CentreLine
26-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Is it just me that thinks it is sad that there seem to be a noisy group of people who think that supporting our club means to run it down at every opportunity? Whatever happened to "We'll Support You Ever More"? It is so unhealthy, when the club has just appointed a new manager with fresh ideas and there has been so much positivity on this message board and on others, that a national rag can still find a down in the mouth who is prepared to give them a headline to put a damper on the whole thing.

The man arrived in the door yesterday FFS and has not even had time to hang his coat up yet people are running to the press with negativity. Personally I hope that this minority is forced to come round by success on the pitch but I would much prefer if they would put their energies behind the team and the club in the first place.

So come on Hibees, let's circle the wagons and support the team and the club
:flag::flag::flag::pfgwa:flag::flag::flag:

MSK
26-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Why are folk getting their knickers aw twisted over this ..?...its Reilly's opinion & his only ..certainly doesnt speak for me..seems like just another excuse for hibbies tae moan ..:blah:

Geo_1875
26-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Mike is giving HIS opinion. His position is a matter of fact and gives no weight to HIS opinion. However, due to his position, I would imagine that he comes into contact with more Hibs supporters than the majority of posters on this forum, in particular those based abroad, and as such will have an idea of their feelings towards the club and the managerial appointment. While I can state that Mike doesn't speak for me I know other Hibs supporters who agree with him.

Stantons Angel
26-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I am a member of the Hibernian Supporters Association that Mr Reilly is chairman of and no one has asked me for my views?

If he is giving his personal views then the media should say that and not quote him as giving the views of all members.

Everyone is entitled to their own views on all matters Hibernian IF they support the team and thats what this is all about.

The media are always going to look to someone as "speaking on behalf of the supporters" who ever it is will still be contradicted.

Last night i attended a function that was a true expression of the "Hibernian family ethic" supporters got together to get behind one cause
and because of having everyone of a like mind the goal of the evening was achieved through unity!

We have yet another new manager and we .... the Hibs SUPPORTERS ...should be uniting behind him and giving him our support instead of sitting back waiting on another failure.! Again this is MY opinion and you may think differently, who knows?

We are all Hibs supporters so get on with the job of supporting and like me get off this notice board, get ready and get to Perth and
support your team!!

GGTTH!!!!

Hibernia Na Eir
26-11-2011, 08:44 AM

I, for one, have certainly heard of Mike Reilly. I wouldnt think im alone either.

Hibs Supporters Club is a club thats been around a heck of alot longer than Hibs.Net

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Is this me picking things up wrong - who is this Mike REILLY - has the Sun newspaper (sic) perhaps got his name wrong?

Do they (and you) perhaps actually mean Mike RILEY Chairman of the Southern branch of the Hibs Supporters club?

Why do so many on here have his name wrong - and why are so many wrongly assuming he is the Chairman of Hibs Supporters Clubs, i.e. all of them - why are so many het up that he claims to be speaking for all Hibs supporters - where does he actually say that, isn't he just voicing his own opinion - perhaps even on behalf of his branch members? Anyone on here actually from his branch?

Have I missed something - is there really a Mike Reilly who is chairman of all the Hibs Supporters Clubs?

The name Mike Reilly certainly does not appear on the official Hibs site, although Mike Riley is there as Chairman of the Southern branch of the Hibs Supporters club - as are all the other supporters clubs and their different chairmen.

Why should any Hibs supporter believe an article written by the cxxx that is the Sun (that gets the name and the position he holds wrong)?:confused:

Maybe we should find out if there really is a Mike Reilly in charge of some Hibs supporters club somewhere who speaks for all Hibs fans...

... of course, it could be that the official Hibs site has actually posted his name wrong - maybe he's not called Mike?

Jack
26-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I know Mike well and we have spoken in the past about his media interviews. He tells me he starts off by explaining he can only give his own view to the questions asked. The Hibs Supporters Association has almost 2000 members, like dotnet the members views are as diverse as they are here.

He also has no say over what or how this is written and published - a problem for anyone dealing with the media believe me :-@

I mean how unlikely is it Mike gave the most glowing story around Paddy only to be quoted as he was?

I don't know what he said this time round. I do know the guy bleeds as green as the greenest amongst us.

No he doesn't come on here or the Bounce.

Beefster
26-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Is this me picking things up wrong - who is this Mike REILLY - has the Sun newspaper (sic) perhaps got his name wrong?

Do they (and you) perhaps actually mean Mike RILEY Chairman of the Southern branch of the Hibs Supporters club?

His name is Mike Reilly, according to the Hibs Club's website. He's the Chairman of the Hibs Club.

Edit: I think it is the same guy but their site has both spellings.

Aldo
26-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Well Mr Reilly o and if your reading Mr Sands

Please do not speak for me ( and TBH) the majority if folk I know ( only 2)) when you are in telly and Radio and say things like

Hibs supporters this and that cos I am big enough and ugly enough to make up my own mind.

O and if your no happy with what's going on at ER then dont bloody go back till your happy with what's going on.

FFS the man isn't even in the job a day a guys like you too spouting this and that.

O and make sure you tell them it's Your opinion.

Rant over

Ray_
26-11-2011, 09:05 AM

This is the same old reaction when big Frank was asked for similar quote's, of course the papers will go to people within such organisations such as the supporters club for quotes, at times like this, is it really such a big deal?

As for the gripes at the AGM, I would hope a lot of people had gripes at the AGM, after all the performances have been nothing short of shocking for the best part of two years.

As for "director of football", you see countless people on here rightly [IMHO] go on about accountants Carte Blanche running the club & somebody like Alex Miller would be a sensible option. He was good enough to have the assistant managers job at one of the biggest clubs in Europe, & saw them winning the champions league to boot & his good buys for Hibs far outweighed the bad ones.

As for the managerial appointment, having not been part of the selection process & interviews, I'm personally happy to see how it pans out, however, the boards record has been pretty dire on making such appointments, therefore I certainly wouldn't pan somebody for having a different view than mine.

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 09:07 AM
His name is Mike Reilly, according to the Hibs Club's website. He's the Chairman of the Hibs Club.

Edit: I think it is the same guy but their site has both spellings.

Cheers - thanks for clearing up my obvious confusion:greengrin - I think!
I still can't find him on the site, but some posters are confirming he does in fact exist - wonder what he actually said...?

MSK
26-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I know Mike well and we have spoken in the past about his media interviews. He tells me he starts off by explaining he can only give his own view to the questions asked. The Hibs Supporters Association has almost 2000 members, like dotnet the members views are as diverse as they are here.

He also has no say over what or how this is written and published - a problem for anyone dealing with the media believe me :-@

I mean how unlikely is it Mike gave the most glowing story around Paddy only to be quoted as he was?

I don't know what he said this time round. I do know the guy bleeds as green as the greenest amongst us.

No he doesn't come on here or the Bounce.Is a member & has posted on here although been inactive for a while, would be good if he came on & gave his account..if only just to appease those of whose knickers are getting twisted ..:wink:

500miles
26-11-2011, 09:08 AM
The fans are partly culpable. Certainly we sacked Mixu because of fans' unrealistic expections of a team which was being disassembled (out of necessity), and unwilling to accept that competing for Europe until the last couple of games of the season, while maintaining top six status, was, in actuality, quite a success. Fans created that pressure - the board shouldn't have buckled. Once bitten, however, and you're stuck with the likes of CC for 3 months more than we should have been.

Similarly, Aberdeen fans never took to Jimmy Calderwood, so, despite European achievements and actually qualifying for Europe that seasons, the board sacked him. The Board shouldnt have given in, but the fans were becoming disgruntled by a couple of cup embarrassments, which, when compared to Euro qualification and last 32 status in the UEFA cup, was meaningless. They couldn't see the bigger picture - which fans rarely do, because of emotional involvement, which often makes a team or manager only as good as their last game.

Look at Celtic as well. Do you really think that a penniless Rangers team would have won the league against a Strachan Celtic team? But he wasn't Celtic-minded, so the fans never really took to him. He followed Martin O'Neill, and after his first game in Bratislava, he was always going to struggle to get some of the support behind him. He was a successful manager, but the bigger picture was forgotton, and the Board buckled.

The fans have a lot more power these days. The internet is so widely spread that a personal opinion becomes a soapbox speech, and this amateur publication, originally intended as one man's personal thoughts, becomes written word, and is given a bit of the gravitas that comes with that.

MSK
26-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Well Mr Reilly o and if your reading Mr Sands

Please do not speak for me ( and TBH) the majority if folk I know ( only 2)) when you are in telly and Radio and say things like

Hibs supporters this and that cos I am big enough and ugly enough to make up my own mind.

O and if your no happy with what's going on at ER then dont bloody go back till your happy with what's going on.

FFS the man isn't even in the job a day a guys like you too spouting this and that.

O and make sure you tell them it's Your opinion.

Rant overKeith Sands has registered, Im sure we will read his views soon if he wishes to post ..

Aldo
26-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Keith Sands has registered, Im sure we will read his views soon if he wishes to post ..

Thanks for that HH. We shall see in the coming minutes, hours, days and weeks.

Very open to discussion

ronaldo7
26-11-2011, 09:26 AM
....and, as this has really got my goat, would he not take the chance to unite his members behind the club once more, move forward and wipe the slate clean and give the guy the benefit of the doubt? Why create unncecessary division and be critical? Thats not what supporters do, pal. They support, they trust and they have faith, the guy has no reason to be critical of PF, Hibs or how we have gone about landing him, he has just shot his mouth of, imagining himself to be a billy big baws and worthy of passing judgement on something he clearly knows very little about,

aplogies if you post on here Mike, but its bloody poor form and i resent your personal views being passed off representative of the Hibs support.

This is what he should be doing and putting his efforts into uniting the fans behind the club, and supporting once again. We never got Strachan or Lexo(and probably never spoke to them), so let's move on and support.

:pfgwa

Ray_
26-11-2011, 09:31 AM
]The fans are partly culpable.[/B] Certainly we sacked Mixu because of fans' unrealistic expections of a team which was being disassembled (out of necessity), and unwilling to accept that competing for Europe until the last couple of games of the season, while maintaining top six status, was, in actuality, quite a success. Fans created that pressure - the board shouldn't have buckled. Once bitten, however, and you're stuck with the likes of CC for 3 months more than we should have been.

Similarly, Aberdeen fans never took to Jimmy Calderwood, so, despite European achievements and actually qualifying for Europe that seasons, the board sacked him. The Board shouldnt have given in, but the fans were becoming disgruntled by a couple of cup embarrassments, which, when compared to Euro qualification and last 32 status in the UEFA cup, was meaningless. They couldn't see the bigger picture - which fans rarely do, because of emotional involvement, which often makes a team or manager only as good as their last game.

Look at Celtic as well. Do you really think that a penniless Rangers team would have won the league against a Strachan Celtic team? But he wasn't Celtic-minded, so the fans never really took to him. He followed Martin O'Neill, and after his first game in Bratislava, he was always going to struggle to get some of the support behind him. He was a successful manager, but the bigger picture was forgotton, and the Board buckled.

The fans have a lot more power these days. The internet is so widely spread that a personal opinion becomes a soapbox speech, and this amateur publication, originally intended as one man's personal thoughts, becomes written word, and is given a bit of the gravitas that comes with that.

I think the fans have been pretty good myself, from the playing platform the club had, the club has replaced thoroughbreds with donkeys & initially for the first couple of years or so the crowds still didn't desert en mass, despite the sky high prices & dross being played.

IWasThere2016
26-11-2011, 09:54 AM

That's a shame - he'd have greater intelligence on which to base his views if he did.

Iain G
26-11-2011, 10:14 AM

So s.

Look am sorry to pick on your post at this point but I am getting a bit fed up with us not being able to get people's names correct, the guy is called Hyland, not this weird Hyndland that has for some really odd reason become commonplace, any chance we can do him the decency to get his name right? :greengrin

Was bad enough when you get 4 different versions of Riordan on here, usually on the same thread... :wink:

Iain G
26-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Keith Sands has registered, Im sure we will read his views soon if he wishes to post ..

I do hope he hasn't called himself Sunshine on Keith :wink:

Andy74
26-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Before folk get on their high horses, presumably this Reilly character speaks for all the various supporters' assoc? If so, he's probably got more of a mandate to speak on behalf of Hibs fans than anyone else.

Clubs and committees. To hell with that, we are all Hibs fans. Can't be bothered with all these people that want to be in some kind of 'position' when it's not needed.

poolman
26-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I, for one, have certainly heard of Mike Reilly. I wouldnt think im alone either.

Hibs Supporters Club is a club thats been around a heck of alot longer than Hibs.Net

Well thats OK then :rolleyes:

deek1875
26-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Hear Hear jinty well said greeting faced bunch that we are

I am a member of the Hibernian Supporters Association that Mr Reilly is chairman of and no one has asked me for my views?

If he is giving his personal views then the media should say that and not quote him as giving the views of all members.

Everyone is entitled to their own views on all matters Hibernian IF they support the team and thats what this is all about.

The media are always going to look to someone as "speaking on behalf of the supporters" who ever it is will still be contradicted.

Last night i attended a function that was a true expression of the "Hibernian family ethic" supporters got together to get behind one cause
and because of having everyone of a like mind the goal of the evening was achieved through unity!

We have yet another new manager and we .... the Hibs SUPPORTERS ...should be uniting behind him and giving him our support instead of sitting back waiting on another failure.! Again this is MY opinion and you may think differently, who knows?

We are all Hibs supporters so get on with the job of supporting and like me get off this notice board, get ready and get to Perth and
support your team!!

GGTTH!!!!

forthhibby
26-11-2011, 11:09 AM
That's a shame - he'd have greater intelligence on which to base his views if he did.

those views being if we lose we are suicidal and the manager must be sacked and if we win it's party time, manger gets a 5 year contract extension and this will be the year we win the scottish cup.

Sioux
26-11-2011, 11:10 AM

If he knows his 'story' may not be reported verbatim or as close as, he should keep his mouth shut then. Could be accused of courting publicity.

lapsedhibee
26-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Look am sorry to pick on your post at this point but I am getting a bit fed up with us not being able to get people's names correct, the guy is called Hyland, not this weird Hyndland that has for some really odd reason become commonplace, any chance we can do him the decency to get his name right? :greengrin

Was bad enough when you get 4 different versions of Riordan on here, usually on the same thread... :wink:

:agree: Quite right Ian.

tamig
26-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Eh, that'll be Iain :wink:

--------
26-11-2011, 11:31 AM

:agree: Totally agree. Sometimes I can't make out who exactly people are talking about.

Eh, that'll be Iain :wink:

:faf:

On the main topic of the thread, it should be obvious to anyone who's contacted by a tabloid paper to be very careful indeed about what he/she says to that paper. It's very easy for a paper to distort what you've said, or to select the most contentious part of what you've said and print that as your solid opinion.

This may be what has happened here.

Or it may be that Mr Reilly/Riley, chairman of whatever Hibs Supporters' Club he happens to be chairman of, decided to take the opportunity to sound off to the paper and put over his personal opinion as the opinion of his members, and indeed of the majority of the Hibs support. Even the briefest visit to the Net would have made it very clear to him that Alex Miller as Director of Football and Gordon Strachan as manager was an option almost entirely unsupported by Hibs fans. I can't recollect anyone suggesting that particular option.

The board have gone through a selection process that has resulted in Pat Fenlon being appointed. I have no idea how things will pan out under his leadership, but the day after his appointment and the day before the first match he'll attend as Hibs manager (thoughg not in charge of the team) seems to be a particularly inappropriate moment to cast doubts on his appointment.

Something along the lines of, "The board have made their decision. I hope the fans will get behind Pat and the team and do everything to encourage them in their efforts to get the club back on an even keel." Brief and non-committal.

And I don't care what shade of green he bleeds (I bleed a darkish shade of emerald myself), he shouldn't have said something like that to a paper like that at a time like this.

WellingtonHibby
26-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Well thats OK then :rolleyes: aye..as you were then. I suppose you provided one of the disgruntled text messages he has based his oponion on?

poolman
26-11-2011, 11:44 AM
aye..as you were then. I suppose you provided one of the disgruntled text messages he has based his oponion on?

Have a look, my posts are there for all to see

Hibiza
26-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Who's mike reilly ????????????????

WellingtonHibby
26-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Have a look, my posts are there for all to see apologies poolman, it was directed at the chap you were responding to.

poolman
26-11-2011, 11:57 AM
apologies poolman, it was directed at the chap you were responding to.

Nae probs :greengrin

Brizo
26-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I cant work out if representatives of the HSA or other fan groups who are contacted by the media are naive to the point of stupidity or if theyre on such a blazerati ego trip that they actually believe they speak for "the fans".

Im guessing they dont announce themselves as "fan chiefs" or whatever ... thats just journalistic short hand for their full title in the HSA or wherever. But if any of them think theyre gonna be quoted verbatim and accurately by the red tops whose whole agenda is to put a sensationalistic spin on any news then theyre an idiot. Im more inclined to think the minute someone gets a blazer they also get an over inflated opinion of their own importance ; and the prospect of appearing in the media has them creaming themselves.

Only Mr Riley knows if his personal opinion has been twisted by the media into representing the view of the fans. If it has ive no sympathy for him ... who did he think he was dealing with:brickwall.

Like others im a member of the club and will be asking my branch delegates to question him on this at the next delegates meeting.

H18S NX
26-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Mike is indeed chairman of the hibernian supporters ass,he has never asked my view or my fellow branch members (stanton),so i guess he is speaking for himself,good luck PAT,and welcome to the hibernian family.GGTTH.:thumbsup:

judas
26-11-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm totally with you. This guy is quoted everywhere - spouting single fish. This man does not represent my views and I object to him speaking on behalf of the clubs support.

judas
26-11-2011, 12:30 PM
You make a great point then spoil it by making the same mistake as Mike- see the bit underlined unless your speaking for general body of Hibs supporters.

hibiedude is saying that MR does not represent his views. He is correct.
hibiedude is saying that MR does not represent the views of the main body of Hibs fans. He is correct.
You are diverting the discussion away from the central point for some reason?!?!

Gatecrasher
26-11-2011, 12:56 PM
As a chairman of a Supporters Club being asked by the media, IMO he should be asking the fans to back the manager instead of saying what he did. One thing we need right now is the Hibs fans to support the club and manager 100%. Saying things like that doesnt help.

and suggesting Alex Miller and Gordon Strachan :rolleyes:

James70
26-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Clueless Calderwood wasn't exactly a cheap option was he?

The new manager deserves the support of all the fans for a decent length of time rather than putting him down when he's hardly in the door.

poolman
26-11-2011, 01:08 PM
As a chairman of a Supporters Club being asked by the media, IMO he should be asking the fans to back the manager instead of saying what he did. One thing we need right now is the Hibs fans to support the club and manager 100%. Saying things like that doesnt help.

The thing about what this numpty has said is that everyone is picking up on it

I've heard the phrase "cheap option " on the radio, read it in the papers and even heard it on the street

One quote from this idiot and now I'ts everywhere, great start to Pat Fenlon's Hibs career because of this guy :bitchy:

--------
26-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Exactly.

To characterise Pat Fenlon as "the cheap option" when he's less than 24 hours in the job and when as far as I know no one but PF and the board know the financial details of the agreement is simply trying to undermine the man before he's started.

As Brizo says, whatever his position, when the Sun (of all papers!) contacted him he should have either given out a non-contentious "let's all get behind the new manager" message, or just said "No comment".

He speaks for no one but himself.

Andy74
26-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Exactly.

To characterise Pat Fenlon as "the cheap option" when he's less than 24 hours in the job and when as far as I know no one but PF and the board know the financial details of the agreement is simply trying to undermine the man before he's started.

As Brizo says, whatever his position, when the Sun (of all papers!) contacted him he should have either given out a non-contentious "let's all get behind the new manager" message, or just said "No comment".

He speaks for no one but himself.

Yep. He should be talking about unity and getting behind him. This cheap option nonsense sounds just like the type of stuff the yams throw at us and it sticks. No need for our own support to be public ally saying this.

Doesn't say much when wallopers like this are heading our supporters clubs.

Beefster
26-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Clubs and committees. To hell with that, we are all Hibs fans. Can't be bothered with all these people that want to be in some kind of 'position' when it's not needed.

Me neither. I'm too opinionated to have someone speak for me. But if he is the top dog in Supporterassocationland then he's got the right to speak on behalf of his organisation.

hibiedude is saying that MR does not represent his views. He is correct.
hibiedude is saying that MR does not represent the views of the main body of Hibs fans. He is correct.
You are diverting the discussion away from the central point for some reason?!?!

You've got your posters mixed up.

The point was about the OP assuming that he knows what the 'main body' of Hibs fans think when he's complaining about someone doing exactly that in the first place.

Saorsa
26-11-2011, 03:16 PM
:agree:Take a look at our home record, speaks volumesAre the home fans responsible for today then? or will you be puting the blame on those who are really responsible?

marinello59
26-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Are the home fans responsible for today then? or will you be puting the blame on those who are really responsible?

The away supporters?:greengrin

Saorsa
26-11-2011, 03:36 PM
The away supporters?:greengrin:wink: :greengrin

yekimevol
26-11-2011, 03:58 PM

dont ever want gordon strachan !! he has got two team relegated, made a mess of Middlesbrough and was good at celtic but rangers had the likes of paul le guen and the end of big ecks time

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2011, 04:06 PM
dont ever want gordon strachan !! he has got two team relegated, made a mess of Middlesbrough and was good at celtic but rangers had the likes of paul le guen and the end of big ecks time

:confused: Who are these two teams he took down?

C/NauldHibby
26-11-2011, 04:07 PM
This guy doesn't and never will speak for me. I've followed Hibs all my life and I don't need an ill-informed self promoting twat expressing opinions on my behalf!

HNA6
26-11-2011, 04:10 PM
This guy doesn't and never will speak for me. I've followed Hibs all my life and I don't need an ill-informed self promoting twat expressing opinions on my behalf!Can we keep the personal stuff out of this please, really no need ..

RIP
26-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Hibs Supporters do not need anyone to speak on their behalf, it's impossible anyway as all our opinions are different

Supporters groups need different degrees of organisation but these well-meaning and honourable volunteers (like Mike Riley) are but mere servants - they do not govern

Capt Mainwaring
26-11-2011, 06:20 PM
We certainly dont help matters. Time for a real change in attitude I hope - but its the players that need to lead by example.

Hibiedude - I believe my general point about him not speaking for the general body of Hibs supported has been vindicated by the general responses on this thread.

When Mr Reilly talks to the press he needs to realise that his official capacity gives him no mandate to speak for else. If he's providing personal opinion fine, but he's got to realise that the Media will not report it like that so has to be mindful of how his views will be portrayed. My particular gripe with him yesterday was on the day that the new Manager was appointed, a more positive statement of fans
support would have been a better welcoming message for Pat Fenlon.

Baldy Foghorn
26-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Tend to sympathise with Mike Riley on this occasion.....

Lets be honest out of so many candidates, we chose one who we do not need to pay compensation for? Call me a cynic but:hmmm::hmmm:

chrisski33
26-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Perhaps a banner saying he doesnt represent hibs fans should be.made for the nxt home match?

HibeeMG
26-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Lets be honest out of so many candidates, we chose one who we do not need to pay compensation for? Call me a cynic but:hmmm::hmmm:

And who would we have paid compensation to for the services of Gordon Strachan? The Beeb?

ancient hibee
26-11-2011, 06:36 PM

There would have been no compensation for Brown.
There would have been no compensation for O'Neill.
There would have been no compensation for Jefferies.
There would have been no compensation for Strachan.
There would have been no compensation for Calderwood.
There would have been no compensation for Lazlo.

You're a cynic.

archiebald
26-11-2011, 08:46 PM
He will ignore all this,and get one of his invisable men to answer. :wink:

Zondervan
27-11-2011, 02:47 AM
"Mike Reilly, chairman Hibs Supporters' club - who are you?"

The best-ever thread title in the History of football message boards. Mike's ill-informed mutterings to the press totally undermined our new Manager's appointment. Of all the positives to come out of the press conference yesterday, the main feature the rags have picked up on is Mike's utter drivel and slavouring.

To use Mike's logic, I aksed 149 Hibs fans today if they had heard of this "Kaiser Soze" type character who dwells in the underbelly of Sunnyside; only 2 people responded in the affirmative.

In other words YOU SPEAK FOR NOBODY YOU FLAP!!!! :na na:

So, please do not present yourself to the media ever again; you are a hindrance and nothing less. :aok:

Zondervan
27-11-2011, 03:02 AM
I am so annoyed about this issue. 1m28s in - you know the score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0

ANDY McGEECHAN
27-11-2011, 06:50 AM
This guy doesn't and never will speak for me. I've followed Hibs all my life and I don't need an ill-informed self promoting twat expressing opinions on my behalf!

Well said mate.

Steve-O
27-11-2011, 06:57 AM
I wish I was the 'cheap option' at my work if I was getting paid about 250k or whatever the manager's job pays at Hibs...

matty_f
27-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Tend to sympathise with Mike Riley on this occasion.....Lets be honest out of so many candidates, we chose one who we do not need to pay compensation for? Call me a cynic but:hmmm::hmmm: He was also the option that at least one other SPL side couldn't afford not too long ago...Just because we didn't have to pay a fee doesn't make him the cheap option.

Aldo
27-11-2011, 08:39 AM
He was also the option that at least one other SPL side couldn't afford not too long ago...Just because we didn't have to pay a fee doesn't make him the cheap option.

Spot on Matty. Here's one for you

Just cos the guy cost nowt doesn't mean to say he's pants..... See Mowbray.

I will say this though.... Fenlon has a massive job ahead of him .... Cos CC has taken us about 20 steps back. I would say nearly all his signings are not good enough and will need to be emptied.

I am not looking for world beaters just guys with a bit of leadership and fight about them. Team players.

invisible man
27-11-2011, 09:54 AM
He will ignore all this,and get one of his invisable men to answer. :wink:

You mean me? :greengrin

Not this time

archiebald
27-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Never saw that coming :wink:

Hibs On Tour
27-11-2011, 09:24 PM
FFS will you lot no gie me peace?

The guy gets interviewed and asked for his [personal] opinion - he gives it. At no stage does he claim to represent the Hibs support either entirely or the majority. If its not the same as your opinion suck it up - wtf difference does it make?

A wee bit different from how a lot of you are painting it...

PS - yes I know Mike and yes he does a hell of a lot for the Hibs club and is a 100% dyed in the wool hibby like the rest of us. Deserves a far fairer hearing than he's getting on here with some of the single fish being thrown his way.

For the record I don't agree with his viewpoint [assuming also he's been accurately quoted] and the further away from ER that both Strachan and El Snoozo are kept the better. Sure Mike would be delighted to have Pat prove him wrong too ;)

Andy74
27-11-2011, 11:21 PM
FFS will you lot no gie me peace?

The guy gets interviewed and asked for his [personal] opinion - he gives it. At no stage does he claim to represent the Hibs support either entirely or the majority. If its not the same as your opinion suck it up - wtf difference does it make?

A wee bit different from how a lot of you are painting it...

PS - yes I know Mike and yes he does a hell of a lot for the Hibs club and is a 100% dyed in the wool hibby like the rest of us. Deserves a far fairer hearing than he's getting on here with some of the single fish being thrown his way.

For the record I don't agree with his viewpoint [assuming also he's been accurately quoted] and the further away from ER that both Strachan and El Snoozo are kept the better. Sure Mike would be delighted to have Pat prove him wrong too ;)

Nah, he's not so daft surely that he thinks press contact him because he's just a random Hibs fan. He knows in what circumstances he is being asked.

As someone in his position it also does matter if he is publically being critical at a time when we need some unity.

silverhibee
28-11-2011, 12:25 PM

It aint got nothing to do with the fans, they are paying good money to watch the dross on show, yeah take a look at our home record and the only people you can point the finger at is the players in the Hibs strip, about time they rolled up there sleeves and got stuck in for the whole ninety minutes of a game and then maybe the fans will get of there back and give them our backing during the game.

This blame the fans is a crock of keek so it is.

GieTheBaTaeReilly
28-11-2011, 12:38 PM
It isnae me.

Ta,

M

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I am so annoyed about this issue. 1m28s in - you know the score:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2lqY3Nuk0)

You sound like a flap

Allant1981
28-11-2011, 03:15 PM
You sound like a flap As do you, everyone is entitled to their opinion as you say so how does it make someone on here a gimp for disagreeing with what he says?

tamig
28-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Mike Riley is chairman of the hibs supporters club which is just of Easter road for yous who don't where it is. He is also chairman of the southern branch. He gets phoned by the press because he's in this position and it was the old treasurer or chairman not sure of the supporters club that gave his number to the papers. He is asked for his opinion no1 else's and he is entitled to it. Or is he to phone and speak to all the jokers on here 1st when asked. Pitty the papers don't phone every hibs fan it would mayb help the folk who sound like they would love to be in the paper. Gimps

Don't start calling names on here. As some have said he knows the score. If the press call him, he knows what for. He should know fine well how "his opinions" will be reported. Now, away and bile yer heid. :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Gie the quote tae Reilly!

Glory, glory to the Hibees etc etc

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:18 PM
If you can't call names read back and tell the rest that

tamig
28-11-2011, 03:21 PM
If you can't call names read back and tell the rest that

So are you the man then - or just a similar user name? Would be interesting if he could come on here and respond to some of the posts on this thread.

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:26 PM
He wouldn't waste his time on here. Why should he answer to folk on here he has just gave his opinion in the paper. And what would yous do if he did clear it up there would be nothing for yous to talk about. And it's not me no

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm Mike Reilly!

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Let's hope fenlon does well though otherwise the deluded hibs fans that think we are better than we r will want him out. Like the managers before.

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Good 4 u

tamig
28-11-2011, 03:32 PM
He wouldn't waste his time on here. Why should he answer to folk on here he has just gave his opinion in the paper. And what would yous do if he did clear it up there would be nothing for yous to talk about. And it's not me no

as said before, he knows how negatively his view is going to be reported. We don't need that when the new man is just in the door.

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Don't c the big deal though if that's his opinion which it may not even b what he said. But folk don't realise that they just jump on here and start talking Riley.

CentreLine
28-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm Mike Reilly!

No No he's Sparti........MIKE REILLY!

FranckSuzy
28-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Gie the quote tae Reilly!

Glory, glory to the Hibees etc etc

Allant1981
28-11-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm Mike Reilly! no im mike reily

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 05:06 PM
no im mike reily

Really?

No, Reilly.

RIP
28-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I can just see the back page headline in the Sun tomorrow

"Hibs Fans Reilly Get On Mike Hunt"

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I can just see the back page headline in the Sun tomorrow

"Hibs Fans Reilly Get On Mike Hunt"

It's very reilly you see a group of supporters harassing one of their own in this manner.

Andy74
28-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Don't c the big deal though if that's his opinion which it may not even b what he said. But folk don't realise that they just jump on here and start talking s&@t.

Does he hold the same pleasant attitude to his fellow Hibs fans as you do?

Wouldn't waste his time on the biggest supporters web site. That's evident.

mikeyriley
28-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm mike Riley Reilly

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm mike Riley Reilly

Really?

Bostonhibby
28-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Really?

No, Reilly

WellingtonHibby
28-11-2011, 08:34 PM
i used to be Mike Reilly,...

.Sean.
28-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm Mike Reilly! We are all Mark Reilly!

Saorsa
28-11-2011, 10:22 PM
We are all Mark Reilly!I'm not Mark Reilly, I'm his brother, Mike :wink:

.Sean.
28-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm not Mark Reilly, I'm his brother, Mike :wink: Really?My dog's called Reilly. Talks less shight than his namesake aswell.

WellingtonHibby
28-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm not Mark Reilly, I'm his brother, Mike :wink: O'reilly? are you?

Gerard
29-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm not Mark Reilly, I'm his brother, Mike :wink:

and he's not heavy:wink:

ancient hibee
29-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Really?My dog's called Reilly. Talks less shight than his namesake aswell.

I thought he was barking.