PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have Pat Fenlon as our manger... (flag content)

--------
25-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Will it be appropriate for the Irish tricolour to be on display at ER? :devil:

:fishin:

BroxburnHibee
25-11-2011, 05:54 PM

:tsk tsk:

CallumHibs07
25-11-2011, 06:01 PM
:tsk tsk:

why not

Tiocfaidh Ar La
25-11-2011, 06:02 PM
It's always appropriate... Prefer the Erin go bragh flag though tbh.

Paddy Fenlon's green and white army!!!

JustSimplyHibs
25-11-2011, 06:21 PM
first home game against rangers as well

Cabbage East
25-11-2011, 06:34 PM
How about a giant tricolour with paddy fenlon in the middle wearing full papal robes standing over a cowering Ally McCoist?

Antifa Hibs
25-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Was about to ask the sectarian polis that aswell.

Always acceptable. Even more so now.

And when the huns give us the famine song what better defiance than seeing the green, white and gold flying all over Easter Road :cb

Www1875hfc
25-11-2011, 06:38 PM
It's always appropriate... Prefer the Erin go bragh flag though tbh.

Paddy Fenlon's green and white army!!!

Wonder if we could get away with singing :singing: Paddy Fenlon's Fenian Army :singing: :devil:

Cabbage East
25-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I predict someone getting offended soon...

RIP
25-11-2011, 06:55 PM
At Green Day we had eight tricolours on show. And a few harps. Cannae remember any fuss that day

Dinkydoo
25-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't think displaying tricolours at ER would be a good idea, full stop.

However IMO, there technically wouldn't be anything wrong with it.

Would anyone be offended by fans flying the Finland flag during Mixu's reign; I severely doubt it. So being offended about having the Irish flag at ER would be stupid and contradictory.

The problem is, if we don't want to be labelled as "tims without a bus far", we'd be best to leave them at home.

Antifa Hibs
25-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think displaying tricolours at ER would be a good idea, full stop.

However IMO, there technically wouldn't be anything wrong with it.

Would anyone be offended by fans flying the Finland flag during Mixu's reign; I severely doubt it. So being offended about having the Irish flag at ER would be stupid and contradictory.

The problem is, if we don't want to be labelled as "tims without a bus far", we'd be best to leave them at home.

To hell with them then. 'And if you know your history...'

Unlike the pink wearing dafties across the road we have our own identity. We didn't just lift it from Glasgow.

Malthibby
25-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Allow me to be offended. Let's leave the Irish flag stuff to Celtic. We have managed 'to know our history'
without the tricolour all over the place up 'till now & I'd like to keep it that way.
GG

Dinkydoo
25-11-2011, 07:21 PM
To hell with them then. 'And if you know your history...'

Unlike the pink wearing dafties across the road we have our own identity. We didn't just lift it from Glasgow.

I know, and agree, to a certain extent.

I'm just concerned that the West of Scotland sectarian problem is proving difficult enough to deal with, without us bringing tricolours to ER which would give fannies like QC McBride all the ammunition they need to make out as if it's a national problem with Scottish football. That's not even touching upon the fact that the yams have gotten even more vile over the past couple of years with their "up to their knees" routine.

Even if the OF's problems never get dealt with, I'd rather not jeopardise our good reputation.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Allow me to be offended. Let's leave the Irish flag stuff to Celtic. We have managed 'to know our history'
without the tricolour all over the place up 'till now & I'd like to keep it that way.
GG

Though surely the problem society has is that people equate such things as the Irish flag as things to be offended about?

Doesn't that say a lot more about those with the issue?

Others might use it to offend. That's not our problem.

Nakedmanoncrack
25-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Though surely the problem society has is that people equate such things as the Irish flag as things to be offended about?

Doesn't that say a lot more about those with the issue?

Others might use it to offend. That's not our problem.

:agree:
Anyone who gets offended by the Irish flag is very confused or are bigots themselves.

Lago
25-11-2011, 07:38 PM
GG

Totally agree.

Greentinted
25-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Cannae say I'm moved either way on this bearing in mind nobody bothered flying a St George Cross during Mowbray's tenure or a Finnish flag during Mixu's. :greengrin

Reaper
25-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Anyone who gets offended by the Irish flag is very confused or are bigots themselves.

Like most posters I agree that it isn't something that anyone should get offended about. However, I'm also aware the adverse publicity we'll get as a club should it happen. Whether you agree or disagree with certain things, the bigot brothers too often get offended by whatever the other is doing, whilst believing they are the innocent victims among all the wrong doings (Rangers fans flying Union Jacks, Red Hand flags or Celtic fans flying Tricolours). I personally do not give a stuff by people utilising the freedom of expression and certainly don't get offended by it, provided it's in good taste and not forced upon me BUT in an instance like this flying a Tricolour would just give certain people an excuse to paint the club in a Negative light.

If people choose to do it however, it won't offend me, but prepare for the petty backlash that will inevitably follow.

Dinkydoo
25-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Like most posters I agree that it isn't something that anyone should get offended about. However, I'm also aware the adverse publicity we'll get as a club should it happen. Whether you agree or disagree with certain things, the bigot brothers too often get offended by whatever the other is doing, whilst believing they are the innocent victims among all the wrong doings (Rangers fans flying Union Jacks, Red Hand flags or Celtic fans flying Tricolours). I personally do not give a stuff by people utilising the freedom of expression and certainly don't get offended by it, provided it's in good taste and not forced upon me BUT in an instance like this flying a Tricolour would just give certain people an excuse to paint the club in a Negative light.

If people choose to do it however, it won't offend me, but prepare for the petty backlash that will inevitably follow.

:top marks:

You've put it so much better than I ever could.

gorgie_harp
25-11-2011, 07:43 PM

:agree::agree:

lyonhibs
25-11-2011, 08:07 PM
How about a giant tricolour with paddy fenlon in the middle wearing full papal robes standing over a cowering Ally McCoist?

I must admit, I'm no fan of the tricolour at ER - just a personal thing, not political or because it "offends me" - but I would ****ing pish myself laughing if someone made that flag as described.

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Was about to ask the sectarian polis that aswell.

Always acceptable. Even more so now.

And when the huns give us the famine song what better defiance than seeing the green, white and gold flying all over Easter Road :cb

I thought it was green, white, and orange. :dunno:

DAVE1875
25-11-2011, 08:29 PM
We could lob potatoes at the huns in the away end :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2011, 08:45 PM
In a sane world, yes. But this isn't a sane world, especially this wee corner of it. Ordinarily I would say 'go for it', but there are elements in the West Coast (as we saw with Paul McBride) who are desperate to drag us into the sectarian debate in order to provide a smokescreen for their favored institution's vile behavior.

The Irish flag is not a sectarian symbol, far from it, and to paraphrase the Yams 'no club has more right...etc' but my concern would be that it provides the green light (no pun intended) for a less reflective bunch of souls to start 'winding up' Huns and Yams by re-introducing rebel songs. I've no worries about the reaction from Huns/Yams to such a flag- let them expose themselves as the bigots they are, and I'd love to see them foam at the mouth. But having got that reaction, I'd be totally demoralized if we took it a stage further and started with the IRA/rebel songs no-nonsense, even if it was done 'ironically'. After all, that the excuse the bigots in west use. Police stats on the weekend of the uglies derby suggests stabbings, glassings and wife-beatings are also done 'ironically'.

So, unless we can guarantee that it won't be a gateway drug to rebel/IRA songs from a section of our support, I'd say no. Maybe though, I'm underestimating the sophistication of our supporters.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Unless you're Irish, I see no reason to attach yourself to the Irish tricolour.

I have never flown any flag apart from a Lion Rampant or a Saltire and that's the way I'll always be.

I won't be offended if I see an Irish flag at Easter Road, I think anyone who is offended by such things must lead a very sad life. However it won't be for me.

I never flew the Finnish flag for Paatelainen and I never flew the French flag for Sauzee either. It's just the way I am.

FifeeHibee
25-11-2011, 09:26 PM
:confused:The Irish Tricolour is as offensive to some as the Union Jack is to others- largely due to our OF friends and the filthies from Dalry. There's nothing wrong (to some!) with either flag used in it's proper context, but at a football ground they are inflammatory and just as bad as the bigot brothers' offensive chanting.

Fortunately there will be legislation soon to curb these animalistic practices. Let's not copy these assholes now. Most of us have managed fine without parading (perfectly legitimate but potentially troublesome) Irish Tricolours. In a few months you'll get lifted anyway, so why start now? Wave the green and white instead.:flag::flag:

Sir David Gray
25-11-2011, 10:00 PM
:confused:The Irish Tricolour is as offensive to some as the Union Jack is to others- largely due to our OF friends and the filthies from Dalry. There's nothing wrong (to some!) with either flag used in it's proper context, but at a football ground they are inflammatory and just as bad as the bigot brothers' offensive chanting.

Fortunately there will be legislation soon to curb these animalistic practices. Let's not copy these assholes now. Most of us have managed fine without parading (perfectly legitimate but potentially troublesome) Irish Tricolours. In a few months you'll get lifted anyway, so why start now? Wave the green and white instead.:flag::flag:

I don't see how anyone could ever be arrested for waving a national flag in public. The idea that this could ever be the case is just absurd.

Sammy7nil
25-11-2011, 10:06 PM

Totally agree but the same applies to anyone offended by a Northern Irish flag or Union Jack

Personally I think National flags should be flown at International games and Hibs flags at Hibs games.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 10:08 PM

They are only inflammatory if that's what you intend.

Flying whatever flag you want in a supportive manner is not copying what they do and if we are being forced tobthinknthis way then the idiots have won and nothing will change.

The Harp Awakes
25-11-2011, 11:06 PM

The only national flag I will ever take to a football match is the lion rampant or the saltire.

Having said that, of course it is appropriate to fly the Irish tricolour at ER and always has been. To take any other view IMO is an insult to our founders and the not insignificant following Hibernian FC have on the Emerald Isle:not worth

mickki40
26-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Flags are always contentious due to politics being attached to them. I am an English Hibby who does not Fly a St George's flag with Hibs plastered across it, as folks would purely see it as Political. I reckon only Saltires and Hibs Flags should be flown to ensure Hibs do not get dragged into the West Coast arguments. GGTTH

500miles
26-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Much like the term "Paki" used in casual conversation, the Irish tricolour used in Scottish football is marred, not by what it actually is, but by it's connotative qualities.
Keep the Harp, and acknowledge our roots, but be wise enough to keep ourselves removed from the nonsense that blights the East Coast, and Gorgie.

magnificent_seven
26-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Of course there is nothing wrong with it. There never has been. Tin hat on here, Hibs missed a trick by forgetting their Irish heritage. The amount of Irish who support Celtic is unbelievable. Now, I don't agree with all the sectarian BS that comes with Celtic FC but if Hibs had remained proud of their Irish roots then we would have had a much bigger fan base than we do just now and we would be a bigger club commercially because of it.

Cabbage East
26-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Of course there is nothing wrong with it. There never has been. Tin hat on here, Hibs missed a trick by forgetting their Irish heritage. The amount of Irish who support Celtic is unbelievable. Now, I don't agree with all the sectarian BS that comes with Celtic FC but if Hibs had remained proud of their Irish roots then we would have had a much bigger fan base than we do just now and we would be a bigger club commercially because of it.

We are proud and you're wrong, we never forgot it. We just didn't cynically cash in like the weejie thieves. Half the folk you talk about are glory hunters. For the same reason maist of the folk in Ireland support English teams these days. Pathetic. We've done things the right way. The Hibs way and I'm proud of that.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2011, 12:50 AM

We play in green, the name of the club is the Latin name for Ireland and we have a harp on our badge. How is that showing anything other than pride for our Irish roots? :confused:

I happen to think that we have "remained proud of our Irish roots" but if you're suggesting that we should have played on them a lot more in order to have a much bigger fanbase and be a bigger club commercially then I ask you, at what cost would this have come at?

I put it to you that we would now just be the Edinburgh version of what Celtic currently are, with rebel songs belting out of the tannoy at Easter Road and the club's fans being investigated for singing IRA songs. I would not be willing to be associated with such a club and I am proud that we are nothing like them in the slightest.

First and foremost, Hibs are a Scottish football team, which has Irish roots. We shouldn't need to rely on citizens from another nation to build the club up. If we become successful and start challenging for honours, we will grow as a club and the fanbase will increase too. We don't need to play on our heritage to do that.

Cabbage East
26-11-2011, 12:54 AM
We play in green, the name of the club is the Latin name for Ireland and we have a harp on our badge. How is that showing anything other than pride for our Irish roots? :confused:

I happen to think that we have "remained proud of our Irish roots" but if you're suggesting that we should have played on them a lot more in order to have a much bigger fanbase and be a bigger club commercially then I ask you, at what cost would this have come at?

I put it to you that we would now just be the Edinburgh version of what Celtic currently are, with rebel songs belting out of the tannoy at Easter Road and the club's fans being investigated for singing IRA songs. I would not be willing to be associated with such a club and I am proud that we are nothing like them in the slightest.

First and foremost, Hibs are a Scottish football team, which has Irish roots. We shouldn't need to rely on citizens from another nation to build the club up. If we become successful and start challenging for honours, we will grow as a club and the fanbase will increase too. We don't need to play on our heritage to do that.

Sometimes less is more buddy. This isn't your blog.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Sometimes less is more buddy. This isn't your blog.

Eh? :confused:

Hibercelona
26-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I'd much rather see my own countries flag being waved around. :agree:

Cabbage East
26-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Eh? :confused:

All your posts are about 4 paragraphs long in the style of a recently unemployed local news reporter. Do you actually talk like that?

Springbank
26-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I support a football team.

I don't think Scottish football needs any more politics.

It needs more football.

Hibercelona
26-11-2011, 01:06 AM

:top marks

Like you say, we have the harp on our badge which IMO is more out of respect for our founders than for Ireland itself.

No need for the "Erin go bragh" and Tri-Colour flags. It just gives idiots like McBride an excuse to say "They do it too".

CmoantheHibs
26-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Unless you're Irish, I see no reason to attach yourself to the Irish tricolour.

I have never flown any flag apart from a Lion Rampant or a Saltire and that's the way I'll always be.

I won't be offended if I see an Irish flag at Easter Road, I think anyone who is offended by such things must lead a very sad life. However it won't be for me.

I never flew the Finnish flag for Paatelainen and I never flew the French flag for Sauzee either. It's just the way I am.

:agree:Well put and echos my sentiments.I could never imagine myself flying another countrys flag.Why would I, Im Scottish, but each to their own as long as the religious bull that is associated with it in this country isnt brought also.

hibbiedon
26-11-2011, 05:28 AM
why not

We are a Scottish Football Club :flag::flag::flag:

hibbiedon
26-11-2011, 05:33 AM
We are a Scottish Football Club :flag::flag::flag:

if its not trying to be sectarian will we have red hand of ulster flags for Ivan ?

lyonhibs
26-11-2011, 09:02 AM
All your posts are about 4 paragraphs long in the style of a recently unemployed local news reporter. Do you actually talk like that?

:faf::faf: