PDA

View Full Version : The Fenlon Friday Burning Question - Did he arrive in time for the cake orders?

bigkenny
25-11-2011, 04:00 PM
And if so, when asked what cake he'd like, how did he respond?

Bishop Hibee
25-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Definite German biscuit man. No chance he'd want cream or custard spilt down his tie.

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I heard Garry O asked him if he wanted sorted.

Peevemor
25-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I heard Garry O asked him if he wanted sorted.

:tsk tsk:

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Definite German biscuit man. No chance he'd want cream or custard spilt down his tie.

Correct.

Could go a German biscuit myself, but it's near impossible to find them down here.

jarre1875
25-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry guys, theyre not german biscuits anymore. Theyve been called empire bisciuts for ages now :agree:

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry guys, theyre not german biscuits anymore. Theyve been called empire bisciuts for ages now :agree:

I realise that the name was changed during the war to avoid association with Germany, but they were still always called German biscuits when I was growing up (quite a wee while after the war).

I wonder if there's a Glasgow/Edinburgh aspect as well - I know lots of Embra people who say German biscuit, but when I lived in Glasgow none of my friends would accept the term, and I was regularly mocked by the operator of my local mobile snack emporium when I asked for one. I didn't cave in though, even when you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.

Kaiser_Sauzee
25-11-2011, 04:40 PM
The German biscuit swapped the word 'German' with the word 'Empire' from British Empire in 1996.

--------
25-11-2011, 04:47 PM
They were German Biscuits up till 1914 and the outbreak of the Great War, then they became 'Empire Biscuits', just as German Shepherd dogs became 'Alsatians'.

Alsatians are now back to being 'German Shepherds', so it follows that Empire Biscuits should also go back to being 'German'.

I mean, we don't have an 'Empire' any more, do we?

In the Schloss Doddie they are and always have been German Biscuits.

And they are a particular favourite among the membership of the Doddiekameradschaft...

BEEJ
25-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I wonder if there's a Glasgow/Edinburgh aspect as well - I know lots of Embra people who say German biscuit, but when I lived in Glasgow none of my friends would accept the term, and I was regularly mocked by the operator of my local mobile snack emporium when I asked for one. I didn't cave in though, even when you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.
Sounds like there could be. I've only ever known them as Empire Biscuits.

The Krauts did clobber Clydebank during the blitz, right enough. :wink:

Godsahibby
25-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I am so glad I read this post, I thought I was the mad one, for years I have called them German Biscuits and have been been looked at strange when asking for them Always been German Biscuits to me!

Peevemor
25-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Always 'german' for me too. :agree:

Bishop Hibee
25-11-2011, 05:53 PM
A German biscuit must be adorned with a glace cherry. None of this jelly tot/jelly bean nonsense.

--------
25-11-2011, 05:55 PM
A German biscuit must be adorned with a glace cherry. None of this jelly tot/jelly bean nonsense.

Indeed, bishop.

I salute you. You are a purist - a man after my own heart.

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm now absolutely gasping on a German biscuit, and I'm hundreds of miles from where I could get one. :grr:

Twa Cairpets
25-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Are we talking about round sandwich biscuits with jam in the middle, icing and a we glacé cherry? If so, then I have always called them Belgian biscuits, not German. I think this came from my Dundonian grandmother...

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 06:38 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Belgian, German whatever next?

Maybe we should just call them european biscuits!

Bishop Hibee
25-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Are we talking about round sandwich biscuits with jam in the middle, icing and a we glacé cherry? If so, then I have always called them Belgian biscuits, not German. I think this came from my Dundonian grandmother...

We are indeed. Biscuits must be shortbread type of course. Preferably raspberry jam in the middle. I've heard of Belgian buns but not Belgian biscuits.

Excellent German biscuits from Caroline's Takeaway in Restalrig village :yum yum: Unfortunately they have a jelly bean on top but they are only 50p :not worth Nutsy will be sent a delivery upon getting his first victory in charge :wink:

ballengeich
25-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I think you're right about this further regional variation. I've also known them as Belgian biscuits through relatives from that part of the country. Still good whatever you call them.

SkintHibby
25-11-2011, 08:24 PM
First time I've heard the term 'German Biscuit' in my life and I'm 42! Empire biscuit on the other hand I've heard of! Is this a geographical thing?

Gatecrasher
25-11-2011, 08:27 PM
First time I've heard the term 'German Biscuit' in my life and I'm 42! Empire biscuit on the other hand I've heard of! Is this a geographical thing?
its the same thing, they used to be called German biscuits until WW1 then changed to Empire biscuits to show patriotism IIRC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_biscuit

a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_biscuit)s long as he eats up the jam tarts im happy :wink:

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Don't know, where are you from?

So far, our assembled body of evidence says: Edinburgh - German; Glasgow - Empire; Dundee - Belgian.

its the same thing, they used to be called German biscuits until WW1 then changed to Empire biscuits to show patriotism IIRC

Do keep up. :wink:

s.a.m
25-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Me too, and I'm 44. Grew up on the West Coast.

When the OP mentioned German biscuits, I assumed it was those cinnammon, spicy type things they were on about.

Gatecrasher
25-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Don't know, where are you from?

So far, our assembled body of evidence says: Edinburgh - German; Glasgow - Empire; Dundee - Belgian.

Do keep up. :wink:
its Friday, im allowed to be a bit slow :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
25-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I conducted a little bit of straw-polling amongst my English colleagues this afternoon. None of them recognised the baked delight under any name, with the exception of one who knew what it was because apparently I once expounded their virtues at some length while steamboats.

Seems to be mainly a Scottish thing.

The Harp
26-11-2011, 06:52 AM
I'd never heard of Belgian Biscuits until a couple of years ago. I was employed as a housing support worker and regularly took a lovely, elderly guy, who was a wheelchair user, out and about, ending in going for a coffee and a bun.
One day I got him, what I've always called, a German biscuit, but he referred to it as a Belgian biscuit. From then on, whenever we had exhausted the fitba banter (he was an auld Yam) we would debate what we thought was the reason for the different 'nationality' of these biscuits. We eventually arrived at the conclusion ... that we didnae know! Both of us reckoned though that it must have had something to do with the war.
The thing is, he was a retired baker and used to work for Harry Swan in his shop at the top of Leith Street, so his opinion on the matter should've carried some weight - mind you he was an auld Yam, so maybe not.:wink:

E10 Rifle
26-11-2011, 08:20 AM
It was a Empire Biscuit for me and always made with Royal Scot biscuits (whatever happened to them?). It may be one for the EU to sort out though

fiolex1
26-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Defo called German biscuits in Gorebridge, but then again the people form Nitten did call us Germans for some resaon?

lyonhibs
26-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I conducted a little bit of straw-polling amongst my English colleagues this afternoon. None of them recognised the baked delight under any name, with the exception of one who knew what it was because apparently I once expounded their virtues at some length while steamboats.

Seems to be mainly a Scottish thing.

:faf: "and you sheeee, there are theshe fantastic things called......haud oan a minute <tactical vom>.......... German bischuits"

I've not got much of a sweet tooth, so would only know them by Empire biscuits. I thought "German biscuits" implied some sort of ginerbread based delicacy to be bought at Xmas markets

ALF TUPPER
26-11-2011, 02:29 PM

He responded ....... " bejeeezzuz, let all demolish some o deez jam terts" :greengrin