PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone happy with the appointment of Pat Fenlon.

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Thoughts everyone.

Cant say i have heard much of Pat Fenlon before last week, but seems to have done very well in his management career so far, hope this is the next step for him at Hibs and he can start moving the team up the table and hopefully add to the squad in January to bolster the team, a playmaker in the midfield would be a great welcome.

C'mon the Hibs. :pfgwa :flag: :pfgwa

Leithenhibby
25-11-2011, 01:57 PM
In a word, yes. I'm willing to sit back give the guy some space and enjoy the ride :wink:

To support a team like HIBERNIAN FC you have to go with it sometimes ....:aok:

Bob Box Fish
25-11-2011, 02:02 PM
His record looks good only time will tell.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Thoughts everyone.

Cant say i have heard much of Pat Fenlon before last week, but seems to have done very well in his management career so far, hope this is the next step for him at Hibs and he can start moving the team up the table and hopefully add to the squad in January to bolster the team, a playmaker in the midfield would be a great welcome.

:agree: Would have preferred Strachan or Davies, but that was probably never going to happen?

I dont know much about Fenlon other than whats been said on here, but if he's a success, the fans will love him.

cocopops1875
25-11-2011, 02:03 PM
In a word NO have you read this board before ? No chance of everyone being happy. I however think this was a very difficult appointment and hope he is the man as I always do and have no reason based on his record to think he won't do well

MrSmith
25-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Actually, I'm quite happy and quietly confident! I like how he talk, analyses the situation and is humble in approach to the solution. I really think for the firdst time in years we have a good yin!

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Delighted.

ShanksSaidNo
25-11-2011, 02:08 PM
I’m treading carefully with this one! Not diving in with a 'great appointment' pat on the back for the board but at the same time its rekindled a bit of interest..

His managerial record over the past 9 years has been excellent – 5 league titles and 3 cups. But then that needs to be tempered with the fact that he has achieved this on a big budget relatively speaking - in the League of Ireland - a league / standard of football most of us know very little about. However as they say a winning mentality is a winning mentaility and if he can bring that to Hibs then it can only be a good thing. In his first quote on the Hibs website this morning he made a couple of positive comments straight off the bat about instilling that winning mentality and making some major changes. Exactly what we wanted to hear. I have seen a few interviews on youtube of him from years back and he seems quite fiery and takes no sh*t. I like that – Calderwood was absolute powder puff!

One concern is the Billy Brown situation. Will he remain? If he does then right away Fenlon doesn’t have the scope to bring his own men in and ring the changes! I think BB has a lot to offer but I don’t think it works when the board picks your management team – Fenlon needs to be given total control.

All in all I’m intrigued by this appointment and hope to god he turns out to be a Mowbray!

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 02:10 PM
In a word NO have you read this board before ? No chance of everyone being happy. I however think this was a very difficult appointment and hope he is the man as I always do and have no reason based on his record to think he won't do well

Naw this is my first time on Hibs.net. :na na:

Fat Stu
25-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Have to admit to knowing very little about him which makes this appoint very underwhelming for me. Not been to many game this year and the appointment isn’t really inspiring me to go back anytime soon.

I felt the same about Mowbray so I sincerely hope this works out the same.

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Delighted.

Take it you have collected your winnings from the bookie. :thumbsup:

basehibby
25-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm happy enough with what looks to be an astute appointment. I was scratching my head when Calderwood signed but I can definately see the logic in Fenlon's appointment.

Michael O'Neill was my favourite and Fenlon seems to be in a similar mould - young, ambitious and driven with a track record of winning in his career thus far. If anything in fact, Fenlon's CV is probably slightly more impressive than O'Neill's so I really have no grounds for complaint.

Sir David Gray
25-11-2011, 02:19 PM
I know next to nothing about him so I'll be reserving judgement on him for the time being.

On paper, Colin Calderwood arguably had a more impressive CV before coming to Hibs than Fenlon does, with his promotion with Nottingham Forest and Northampton in the English leagues and also considering that he was the assistant manager with Newcastle Utd before being appointed Hibs manager. He went on to become one of the worst managerial appointments that the club has ever made.

It just goes to show that it all depends on how an individual fits in with a particular club. Hopefully Fenlon will be the ideal fit for Hibs.

If not, and he ends up being a failure as well, then the positions of the senior board members really will have become untenable.

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Take it you have collected your winnings from the bookie. :thumbsup:

:greengrin :cb

Yeah mate, the weekend before pay day will be all the much sweeter now :thumbsup:

DC_Hibs
25-11-2011, 02:23 PM
On paper, Colin Calderwood arguably had a more impressive CV

"arguably" being the operative word.
Stevie Wonder could have got Forest out of that league (at the first attempt).

I put a lot of weight on fans opinions of a manager and the Bohs fans are a lot more complimentary of Fenlon than Forest are of Calderwood.

Onwards and upwards Heebs.

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm nuts about Nutsy! Count me in! The revolution starts here! No time for losers, whingers, half-hearted cynics and naysayers. When I get enthusiasm from a Hibernian manager, that gets me on board. No time for Calderwood or the series of red-faced tried-and-found-mediocre serial SPL buffoons. We got the right man.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Very happy. Just seems the right guy at this time and should be a popular character.

I don't think his and O'Neill's records are similar at all actually. I think Fenlon's is far better over a prolonged period.

Stevie Reid
25-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I’m treading carefully with this one! Not diving in with a 'great appointment' pat on the back for the board but at the same time its rekindled a bit of interest..

His managerial record over the past 9 years has been excellent – 5 league titles and 3 cups. But then that needs to be tempered with the fact that he has achieved this on a big budget relatively speaking - in the League of Ireland - a league / standard of football most of us know very little about. However as they say a winning mentality is a winning mentaility and if he can bring that to Hibs then it can only be a good thing. In his first quote on the Hibs website this morning he made a couple of positive comments straight off the bat about instilling that winning mentality and making some major changes. Exactly what we wanted to hear. I have seen a few interviews on youtube of him from years back and he seems quite fiery and takes no sh*t. I like that – Calderwood was absolute powder puff!

One concern is the Billy Brown situation. Will he remain? If he does then right away Fenlon doesn’t have the scope to bring his own men in and ring the changes! I think BB has a lot to offer but I don’t think it works when the board picks your management team – Fenlon needs to be given total control.

All in all I’m intrigued by this appointment and hope to god he turns out to be a Mowbray!

Pure conjecture. It's perfectly possible that Fenlon will wish to keep BB as his assistant - and it's perfectly possible that Fenlon may wish to keep him but Brown may wish to go anyway.

Brown staying doesn't necessarily mean that Fenlon had no say in the matter, just as Brown leaving doesn't necessarily mean that Fenlon didn't want him.

HKhibby
25-11-2011, 02:39 PM
No never fancied him did not want him or Oneil, he may do well, but a bit of a nobody, dont know much about him apart from managing in the LOI!, if people can say the SPL is garbage! well i would love to here their opinions on the LOI! ...in my opinion 10 times worse!

PeeJay
25-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Neither happy, nor unhappy - but surely all Hibs fans will get behind him at the start of his time with us? I knew nothing about him before his name cropped up, he's given one or two good interviews - but results alone will tell if he's the right man for the job. I hope to see some evidence of changes for the good once he takes over - I don't expect him to get everything right, so he will need some time, but surely we ought to see improvements in fitness, tactics, motivation and the enjoyment of playing for Hibs amongst the guys we've got right away: we shouldn't have to wait for it, some progress should be apparent right from the start. Looking forward to seeing how he copes with the situation.

I wish him all the best, and hope he is a success - he's a Hibby now!:greengrin

Dalianwanda
25-11-2011, 02:51 PM
No never fancied him did not want him or Oneil, he may do well, but a bit of a nobody, dont know much about him apart from managing in the LOI!, if people can say the SPL is garbage! well i would love to here their opinions on the LOI! ...in my opinion 10 times worse!
So you have watched a lot of the loi games to make that call..:rolleyes:

At The Edge
25-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Didn't know much about the guy before he signed up for his tour of duty, but with what i've watched today, i'm very pleased, seems keen, and will hopefully weed out the non triers at east Mains,

plus Paddy Fenlons Green and White army sounds good! :greengrin

:pfgwa

Bishop Hibee
25-11-2011, 02:57 PM
As always, I'm prepared to give the new manager time. For this season, I'll be happy if he can comfortably keep us up.

He'll have to go some to be worse than the previous two numpties.

marinello59
25-11-2011, 02:57 PM

How many LOI games have you watched recently? In fact how many SPL games have you been at recently? I am guessing None and None.

MyJo
25-11-2011, 02:59 PM
a few positives that are going in his favour.

1 - No previous connection with the club, decision made without green tinted glasses on.
2 - Not the choice the fans were calling for. We seen where that got us with Yogi and Mixu
3 - Has actually acheived something with previous teams winning titles, cups and european football.
4 - Has a decent nickname already rather than being assigned one like Mixup, Clueless or CoCo by us
5 - His name fits into the green & white army song
6 - He isnt Jim Jeffries.

cocopops1875
25-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Naw this is my first time on Hibs.net. :na na:

Ye ken what I meant :-)

cheltenhamhibee
25-11-2011, 03:06 PM

I'm so glad you've enlightened me on that fact, now i can see why the L.O.I is 10 times worse than the SPL, especially as our Scottish teams continually out perform them in European qualification !!!!

ahibby
25-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Happy enough with out knowing anything about him. I'm interested to see how he does, hopefully he'll take no nonsense from the players or any of the directors either. Like all the other managers I'll go along and support him. Having said that I don't know if I could have dragged myself along to watch if BB had got the job, I just don't think he has what it takes to be number 1.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I wonder if Man U fans complained about the appointment of Shiralex because he came from a weaker league.

hibsfan7
25-11-2011, 03:12 PM
An annagram of his name is nanet flop

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wilson
25-11-2011, 03:16 PM
An annagram of his name is nanet flop

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Teflon Pan.

ShanksSaidNo
25-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Pure conjecture. It's perfectly possible that Fenlon will wish to keep BB as his assistant - and it's perfectly possible that Fenlon may wish to keep him but Brown may wish to go anyway.

Brown staying doesn't necessarily mean that Fenlon had no say in the matter, just as Brown leaving doesn't necessarily mean that Fenlon didn't want him.

It's also perfectly possible (verging on probable) that Rod Petrie will say Billy Brown is staying.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Listening to Fenlons interview, i get the impression he's after his own number 2, and wee billy is toast.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I am more than happy. I thought that United were making a very shrewd appointment when it looked like they had signed him. In retrospect, the fact that they didn't was more down to their lack of funds to do so, rather any question of this boy's ability. There will be one or two players looking for new clubs come January I think.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 04:03 PM
It's also perfectly possible (verging on probable) that Rod Petrie will say Billy Brown is staying.

Brown will only stay if Fenlon wants him to stay.

There is no chance that Petrie will want to fall out with the new manager before he's even in the door.

Fenlon has said as much in his interviews today. Or is he already a liar?

Andy74
25-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Listening to Fenlons interview, i get the impression he's after his own number 2, and wee billy is toast.

Yep and he's not waiting long. Looking to talk on Sunday morning by the looks if things.

calumb
25-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Yep and he's not waiting long. Looking to talk on Sunday morning by the looks if things.

To me thats what most impressed me about what he has said today, sounds like he is going to get stuck into the job right away.
Our last one would have been at home with his wife in Southern England on a sunday morning probably not giving the last dismal performance a second thought.

Really excited by this appointment sounds like he can already see whats wrong at the club.

Lofarl
25-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Reading a bohemians fans forum they all seem sad to see him go and wish him well. I have a feeling we may have a real gem here.

--------
25-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Thoughts everyone.

Of course not. there'll be some grumpy wee git along in a minute or two to explain why he's the worst of all possible choices in the worst of all possible worlds.

This is THE NET.

BEEJ
25-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Trying to root out the anti-Fenlon brigade before he's even started, Silver? :greengrin

I am in no position to judge whether he will be a success at Hibs or not. And after so many disappointments in recent years, I'm reluctant to go overboard on any new Manager at this stage.

If he can rekindle a passion for the game amongst the players and the supporters and instil some much needed belief and fight for the cause, then ER will be a stronger, happier place and PF will be deemed a success.

It sounds like he has the personal qualities and experience to do that. So here's hoping! :flag:

Teflon Pan.
Best anagram yet. :greengrin Though slightly worrying.

murray26
25-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I,ve got a good feeling about him, hopefully he gets the fans interested again because the place has been pretty depressing lately, welcome aboard Pat, Paddy Fenlon....he's one of our own, i was singing this to a Hun at work today, quite pissed him off.

Just Alf
25-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Trying to root out the anti-Fenlon brigade before he's even started, Silver? :greengrin

I am in no position to judge whether he will be a success at Hibs or not. And after so many disappointments in recent years, I'm reluctant to go overboard on any new Manager at this stage.

If he can rekindle a passion for the game amongst the players and the supporters and instil some much needed belief and fight for the cause, then ER will be a stronger, happier place and PF will be deemed a success.

It sounds like he has the personal qualities and experience to do that. So here's hoping! :flag:

Best anagram yet. :greengrin Though slightly worrying.

Fingers crossed!....

I hope this quote from the Beeb ends up being accurate :-)

"in time, the Hibernian fans can expect to see an attractive brand of football, with some added steel."

:flag:

Gatecrasher
25-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Im pleased with the appointment, he seems like a down to earth guy who wants to do his best for the club. Fingers crossed it works out :aok:

LancashireHibby
25-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Hopefully a fresh broom and more than happy to give him a chance at putting his stamp on things. Confident that we'll be better for the change. Good luck Paddy!

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Stevie Wonder could have got Forest out of that league (at the first attempt).

I doubt that he could have but what makes you think so?

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Of course not. there'll be some grumpy wee git along in a minute or two to explain why he's the worst of all possible choices in the worst of all possible worlds.

This is THE NET.

Thats why he's the "cheap option" :greengrin

snooky
25-11-2011, 05:09 PM
My opinion of Nutsy's appointment? ...... Ask me in January.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Was it just me or did he seem chuffed to be here (hibstv) ?

The Falcon
25-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Not possible BH. We have recently been told that the manager has absolutely no say whatsoever in who the coaches or his assistant is. Its become a well known fact.

Unless........:hmmm:

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Not entirely for the simple reason I don't know that much about him and with respects I don't rate Irish football but he comes across OK and seems determined to change things, hopefully he can instill a bit more grit about us and perhaps get a few players in the January window...we'll see

:flag:

lucky
25-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Hoping for the best but knowing Hibs something will muck it up.

Good luck Pat. Welcome to the family but be aware you could be dumped as quickly as we welcomed you

Hibby70
25-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Teflon Pan. That nickname will never stick.

Golden Bear
25-11-2011, 05:33 PM
My opinion of Nutsy's appointment? ...... Ask me in January.

Apparently he's nicknamed "Nutsy" not because he's a complete basket case but because of his penchant as a player to nutmeg his opponents.

The Falcon
25-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Apparently he's nicknamed "Nutsy" not because he's a complete basket case but because of his penchant as a player to nutmeg his opponents.

So it's not his unfeasibly large gonad's then?

snooky
25-11-2011, 06:28 PM
So it's not his unfeasibly large gonad's then?
Naw, that rumour proved to be a load of bo11ocks :wink:

Feed McGraw
25-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I`m happy.

ronaldo7
25-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Burnt:aok:

judas
25-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Thoughts everyone.

I does not matter any more.

All initial feelings must be superseded with total support.

snooky
25-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Burnt:aok:

Naw, just Browned on one side? :wink:

Capt Mainwaring
25-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Like any new Hibs Manager, he has my full support and backing.

He's saying the right things, he seems to understand what's required and he's used to winning. That'll do for starters.

Welcome on board Pat

The Green Goblin
25-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I am happy with him. "Hard work" seems to be his mantra. Quite a few of the players are in for a shock, I think, and not before time. I suspect that anyone who doesn't shape up will find themselves oot the door sharpish. So, yes, I think he'll be great based on that alone.

GG

Dalianwanda
25-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Well just chatting to my mate here whos a sports journo...He thinks we wont conceed much as Fenlons teams never do..He does great getting the best out of average players..Was best manager in league & thinks he will do well..

Jonnyboy
25-11-2011, 07:32 PM
He'll be judged by the performances on the park and rightly so. I've a feeling he won't disappoint in providing us with a team worth watching again

tamig
25-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Thoughts everyone.

Yes I'm happy.

Green_one
25-11-2011, 07:47 PM
He seems to have some energy and I like his accent. He looks like he has won a watch.

Basically I have no idea. :greengrin Lets see what he does. Hopefully he is grand

One thing. We are an impressive club and its about time any doubters in the team thought about that. Hope he gets that point over. :flag:

EasterRoad4Ever
25-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately, I think the majority of Hibs fans will give PF a cautious welcome to ER because of the failures of the previous incumbents. False promises, same old problems not addressed, hollow words, and lack of ambition by the Board. Sadly, Fenlon doesn't have the gravitas to start calling the shots with the Board. It's highly likely that Petrie and his cohorts will want to bide their time to see how Felnon gets on before they give him any money - as they did with previous appoints. That says more about the Board's ability to find the right man (and back him) as anything.

Fenlon may well turn out to be a good manager - and I'd be delighted if he does - but there's just too many unknowns to expect the best.

Steve-O
25-11-2011, 08:41 PM
No never fancied him did not want him or Oneil, he may do well, but a bit of a nobody, dont know much about him apart from managing in the LOI!,
if people can say the SPL is garbage! well i would love to here their opinions on the LOI! ...in my opinion 10 times worse!

Aye, all those SPL teams in Europe are proving that...oh wait a minute :rolleyes:

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, I think the majority of Hibs fans will give PF a cautious welcome to ER because of the failures of the previous incumbents. False promises, same old problems not addressed, hollow words, and lack of ambition by the Board. Sadly, Fenlon doesn't have the gravitas to start calling the shots with the Board. It's highly likely that Petrie and his cohorts will want to bide their time to see how Felnon gets on before they give him any money - as they did with previous appoints. That says more about the Board's ability to find the right man (and back him) as anything.

Fenlon may well turn out to be a good manager - and I'd be delighted if he does - but there's just too many unknowns to expect the best.

You do at your place of work I suppose?

E10 Rifle
25-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes, but I reserve the right to want his head-on-a-stick prior to the AGM next year

nortonhibby
25-11-2011, 09:40 PM

We must back him 3rd time lucky for RP:cb

NAE NOOKIE
25-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Got a good feeling about Mr Fenlon.

I dont subscribe to the "he will get these lazy buggers trying" stuff though. IMO the players do try, thats the problem, its not lack of effort its lack of ability.

Lack of the ability to move the ball around the pitch at anything other than a slow laboured pace.

Lack of the ability to pass the ball more than 3 yards with any accuracy.

Lack of the ability to make good moves in midfield or in and around the box.

Lack of ability to defend corners and free kicks.

Lack of ability to see and move into space. For instance, a midfielder has the ball in the centre circle and nobody moves beyond him into the oppositions half to take a pass. Ye gods, the number of times that has happened in the last 2 seasons.

The list is endless.

Thats his problem. Teaching the players he has at his disposal how to play like a football team.

Its just the basics. Hell just about every team we have played at ER this season have passed and moved better and quicker than us.

Good luck Pat.

Spike Mandela
25-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I am happy with him. "Hard work" seems to be his mantra. Quite a few of the players are in for a shock, I think, and not before time. I suspect that anyone who doesn't shape up will find themselves oot the door sharpish. So, yes, I think he'll be great based on that alone.

GG

Every manager we have ever had, especially after a defeat says the only way to improve things is getting back on the training ground and 'hard work'.

It's such a cliche and not exactly visionary, I wouldn't read to much in to it.

The Green Goblin
25-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Every manager we have ever had, especially after a defeat says the only way to improve things is getting back on the training ground and 'hard work'.

It's such a cliche and not exactly visionary, I wouldn't read to much in to it.

I know what you mean, but I think he went further than just trotting out a cliche in his interview on hibs tv. His line was (very roughly from memory) "any success you have in life is down to hard work....that goes for everyone; players, officials, staff...you can have all the perfect facilities you like, but if you're not prepared to put in the work etc...you get what you deserve in life" and so on. The word I used was "mantra" because it was clear to me that he doesn't just talk about these things, it's the way he approaches his life. That's much more than saying an oft-repeated empty phrase for effect imo.

GG

The Harp
25-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Don't know much about Pat but the little that I've heard makes me cautiously optimistic.
One thing that concerns me though - does he have the same knowledge of sweeties as the previous incumbent? :hmmm:

Lucius Apuleius
26-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Happy? Dunno.
Satisfied? Yep.

We have not gone down the route of some failed miserable old Largs mafia dickhead. We have not gone for an ex player. We have been totally unsentimental(is that a word?) Trying something different and for that I applaud the board (not Sir Rod obviously as he had nothing to do with it :wink:)

Pete
26-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Delighted! Really optimistic for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

huggie1875
26-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Yes :pfgwa

HKhibby
26-11-2011, 06:51 AM
How many LOI games have you watched recently? In fact how many SPL games have you been at recently? I am guessing None and None.

I have actually i run a bar!, can pick up most leagues in the world!, the Loi games look just as tedious as some of the spl games, infact alot worse! thanks, and i have a couple of irish customers that will sy the same if asked! thanks

HKhibby
26-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Aye, all those SPL teams in Europe are proving that...oh wait a minute :rolleyes:

SPL teams in Europe?, which the old firm? for a couple of rounds! maybe one year one of them gets a bit of a run!, then the third place or fourth place team gets knocked out at qualifying stages! very big runs indeed! and all the SPL teams in Europe!, but you all just miss the point, what im trying to say, every hibs supporter wants their club to succeed, and maybe we are wrong! but maybe not!, im not saying they guy is rubbish, but he has come from a league that is renowned for being rubbish, by most in the world! even worse than the SPL!, now, i for one admit if you take time to watch football from different leagues around the world which i have done, and you can see where the vierws come from! yes you can watch a very good football match in some of these games, but you can tell instantly they would never make it elsewhere, with the defending, midfield, attack etc.., but if he does well, then thats ok, but he doesnt you will just here the same old same old moans and groans etc... etc...

bingo70
26-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Got a good feeling about Mr Fenlon.I dont subscribe to the "he will get these lazy buggers trying" stuff though. IMO the players do try, thats the problem, its not lack of effort its lack of ability. Lack of the ability to move the ball around the pitch at anything other than a slow laboured pace. Lack of the ability to pass the ball more than 3 yards with any accuracy. Lack of the ability to make good moves in midfield or in and around the box.Lack of ability to defend corners and free kicks.Lack of ability to see and move into space. For instance, a midfielder has the ball in the centre circle and nobody moves beyond him into the oppositions half to take a pass. Ye gods, the number of times that has happened in the last 2 seasons.The list is endless.Thats his problem. Teaching the players he has at his disposal how to play like a football team.Its just the basics. Hell just about every team we have played at ER this season have passed and moved better and quicker than us.Good luck Pat. If the players couldn't perform the basics they wouldn't have become footballers, they can do those things, imo they are just struggling in believing in themselves, that's why passes aren't going on front of players for example, they're trying to go for the easy option or they're making bad decisions trying to force the issue.If fenlon can install belief, get them enjoying their football, motivate and organise them I'm sure you'll see this squad suddenly being able to do the basics again

Barney McGrew
26-11-2011, 07:25 AM
SPL teams in Europe?, which the old firm? for a couple of rounds! maybe one year one of them gets a bit of a run!, then the third place or fourth place team gets knocked out at qualifying stages! very big runs indeed! and all the SPL teams in Europe!, but you all just miss the point

I think it's you that's spectacularly missing the point! SPL teams don't do well in Europe either! In fact, the LOI has done better this year than the SPL!

:rolleyes: (!)

Wyatt.S.Earp
26-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Yip.....will sit back and see what happens....seems a good choice...but lets not forget he is coming into one of the worlds "crap"leagues....no talent available ,no crowds ,anybody any good does not want to play in Scotland,there is no money up here...Celtic are crap....Hearts on the "brink"..the Huns...about to go tits up...!!,the rest pretty unexciting,hardly a must see on a Saturday...refereeing a joke...(geez I sound boring),but Scottish football is sick big time....if he gets players that are any good along comes the old firm and snaffles them up....indeed if he is a success at E.R....and I hope he is...he may be head hunted as well.....Its the nature of being a Hibs fan....(I was born many moons ago),so have seen it all happening ,the good ,the bad and the ugly.......Till the S.F.A and the S.P.L...(run by numpties),get sorted the product we know as Scottish Football will always be second rate...where can I buy a L.A Galaxy scarf.....................?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: cb

Beefster
26-11-2011, 08:47 AM
You do at your place of work I suppose?

Pretty irrelevant point unless the guy is in charge of a critical function.

Fenlon's the senior manager in charge if the only function that really matters. Most businesses that want to succeed would listen to that guy and, largely, let him run things the way he wants to.

BEEJ
26-11-2011, 10:06 AM
If the players couldn't perform the basics they wouldn't have become footballers, they can do those things, imo they are just struggling in believing in themselves, that's why passes aren't going on front of players for example, they're trying to go for the easy option or they're making bad decisions trying to force the issue.If fenlon can install belief, get them enjoying their football, motivate and organise them I'm sure you'll see this squad suddenly being able to do the basics again
:agree: That's a lot to do with it.

As folks reach for simplistic answers to our current problems, suddenly we're hearing again the shouts that virtually our whole squad lacks basic footballing ability when, in fact, confidence (or lack of it) is the largest factor in our current on-field problems.

And those looking for a big turnaround in playing staff during the January transfer window ought to lower their expectations. I can't see any of our players moving on voluntarily; so unless we pay them off (at a cost) there will be no room to bring anyone in. It could well be one of the quieter January windows of recent seasons.

Fenlon's the senior manager in charge if the only function that really matters. Most businesses that want to succeed would listen to that guy and, largely, let him run things the way he wants to.
:agree:

Andy74
26-11-2011, 10:12 AM

So Fred Goodwin wasn't responsible for what happened to RBS for example as there were Divisional Chief Execs below him?

Captain Trips
26-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I am on the surface not happy about it, I felt we needed somebody whom was able to take club by scruff of neck board included so on surface I don't think it is right and I am concerened IMO we have an eager manager whom has a shot at the bigger time and may be more easily led than a manager with experience at higher level.

That all said above maybe Pat is that type of guy to do what I hope, maybe he is the guy to tell RP etc its his way, all we have just now is a hope at everyone has that hoe, we have folk who think good some unsure bit nobody can know, all I think is I am left very unsure.

I am again not going to go down it is not his players route, I expect to see some sort of change at the club no matter who the players were signed by, I am not expecting 10 wins on the bounce but I do want to see he makesa difference, CC made none and the excuse was it wasnt his players, you have to take what you have and improve on it.

All the best Pat hope you can sort this mess out and take us on to 4th/3rd asap.

Kaiser1962
26-11-2011, 06:53 PM

So the employee then "calls the shots with the board"?

Thats why Hearts are doing great because it's the only function that matters right enough.