PDA

View Full Version : Rod Petrie Please read this !

Jack Ferrigan
25-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Welcome to Easter Road Pat!

Pat will do a good job for Hibs and possibly a great job for them if he is given

a) A proper budget to build a solid defence.

b) A decent amount of time to achieve a proper rebuilding of our team.

c) A chance to hold onto our good young players .

I have watched Pat Fenlon's progress as a manager and he has the skill and passion to build a good team for us at Hibs .

So to sum up briefly lets give him the money, the time, the players and as much support as possible to get our team playing the type of football we are famed for.

GGTTH!

Andy74
25-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Pat will do a good job for Hibs and possibly a great job for them if he is given

I have watched Pat Fenlon's progress as a manager and he has the skill and passion to build a good team for us at Hibs .

So to sum up briefly lets give him the money, the time, the players and as much support as possible to get our team playing the type of football we are famed for.

GGTTH!

What money?

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 11:59 AM

GGTTH!

The new manager will get every penny of what's available.

He will get as long as he needs assuming we're not bottom of the league in a year's time.

He will be able to hold on to all the young players he wants to, assuming richer clubs don't offer them huge wages.

Currently, we're famed for dull, shapeless and ineffective football. I sincerely hope he doesn't get us playing like that. :wink:

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 12:04 PM
The new manager will get every penny of what's available.

He will get as long as he needs assuming we're not bottom of the league in a year's time.

He will be able to hold on to all the young players he wants to, assuming richer clubs don't offer them huge wages.

Currently, we're famed for dull, shapeless and ineffective football. I sincerely hope he doesn't get us playing like that. :wink:

That amount should be outlined to him then by the board who then allow him to spend his budget however he see's fit. None of this pass a list on to Petrie and hope for the best any more.

One of Fenlon's main attributes is how he is able to build a team, building a team both on and off the pitch should be all down to him. :agree:

CropleyWasGod
25-11-2011, 12:11 PM
That amount should be outlined to him then by the board who then allow him to spend his budget however he see's fit. None of this pass a list on to Petrie and hope for the best any more.

One of Fenlon's main attributes is how he is able to build a team, building a team both on and off the pitch should be all down to him. :agree:

Sorry, no.

That was what started the whole HMFC financial slippery slope. JJ was given the SMG money to spend as he saw fit. The result was agents and third-rate players running financial rings around someone who had no experience in those kind of negotiations.

By all means, PF should identify the players that he wants, and be involved in the process of negotiation.... but, no way should he do that on his own.

ScottB
25-11-2011, 12:30 PM

No, frankly.

Fenlon should be identifying players, but it his not his job to do the financial side, if he identifies players and the club is unable to reach agreement with their club or whatever, so be it. We should not be handing the manager a stack of cash and leaving him to it. I can't think of any club in the world that would do such a thing anyway.

He will know his wage budget, he will know his player budget, that's more than enough info for him to go on!

lyonhibs
25-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Thank ye gods you're not in charge at ER then. Fenlon's main job is getting whatever players are playing for HFC at any given moment in time, playing like they actually give a flying *****e. Yes, he should have full control over his wish-list and no-one should be signed over his head, but a football manager should not be spending his time haggling over appearance fees/win bonuses etc.

Say what you will, but Petrie's skills as a negociator in the transfer market are not up for questioning IMO

HibbyKeith
25-11-2011, 01:08 PM
The one comment i take from John Hughes time at the club is...

"Hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work hard enough"

If Pat Fenlon can get our team working hard, then thats a massive step in the right direction for me, our players while not world beaters are not the worst in the league, so with collective hard work we will win our fair share of games and move out the hole we have been in for 2 years.

Glory Glory and best of luck to everyone behind the scenes at our fantastic football club.

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Sorry, no.

That was what started the whole HMFC financial slippery slope. JJ was given the SMG money to spend as he saw fit. The result was agents and third-rate players running financial rings around someone who had no experience in those kind of negotiations.

By all means, PF should identify the players that he wants, and be involved in the process of negotiation.... but, no way should he do that on his own.

So you would rather Petrie picks the players of the list and signs them? Sorry but Petrie should have no input at all in what playing staff OR management staff come to the club. That's where it's wrong.

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 01:14 PM
No, frankly.

Fenlon should be identifying players, but it his not his job to do the financial side, if he identifies players and the club is unable to reach agreement with their club or whatever, so be it. We should not be handing the manager a stack of cash and leaving him to it. I can't think of any club in the world that would do such a thing anyway.

He will know his wage budget, he will know his player budget, that's more than enough info for him to go on!

Ok, fair enough. He should tell Petrie what players he wants and Petrie goes and gets them. There shouldn't be a list.

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank ye gods you're not in charge at ER then. Fenlon's main job is getting whatever players are playing for HFC at any given moment in time, playing like they actually give a flying *****e. Yes, he should have full control over his wish-list and no-one should be signed over his head, but a football manager should not be spending his time haggling over appearance fees/win bonuses etc.

Say what you will, but Petrie's skills as a negociator in the transfer market are not up for questioning IMO

Fair do's. Like I say though, Petrie should have ZERO input on what players come to the club to play for Fenlon.

jacomo
25-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Costly mistake with Calderwood excepted, of course.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 01:52 PM
So you would rather Petrie picks the players of the list and signs them? Sorry but Petrie should have no input at all in what playing staff OR management staff come to the club. That's where it's wrong.

So you think Rod just goes through the list with no further discussion with the manager and just picks whatever ones he fancies?

RIP
25-11-2011, 02:05 PM
At the Supporters Forum it was stated categorically that these days the manager picks the target and it's Scott's job to go get them if he can. There is zero interference from the board in the choice of players

Rod's name wasn't mentioned but with Scott running the football operation at East Mains this last year, I'm not sure why it should be

Saorsa
25-11-2011, 04:16 PM
At the Supporters Forum it was stated categorically that these days the manager picks the target and it's Scott's job to go get them if he can. There is zero interference from the board in the choice of players
So the manager picks the targets and gives Lindsay the list and there is zero interference from the board in the choice of players put on that list. Who decides the maximum wage any player on that list will be paid even if a higher amount would still be within the overall budget? If the (quality) player at the top of the list wants 4.5k PW does the manager get him? Or does he get the 1st one off the list that'll come for 2k PW. I would class that as interference, it may not directly be picking the players but would be severely limiting the manager in his choices. We keep hearing that there is nae limit but I find that extremely hard tae believe due tae the huge quantity of average/poor/dross players we seem tae end up with rather than any of decent/reasonable quality.

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 04:18 PM
So the manager picks the targets and gives Lindsay the list and there is zero interference from the board in the choice of players put on that list. Who decides the maximum wage any player on that list will be paid even if a higher amount would still be within the overall budget? If the (quality) player at the top of the list wants 4.5k PW does the manager get him? Or does he get the 1st one off the list that'll come for 2k PW. I would class that as interference, it may not directly be picking the players but would be severely limiting the manager in his choices. We keep hearing that there is nae limit but I find that extremely hard tae believe due tae the huge quantity of average/poor/dross players we seem tae end up with rather than any of decent/reasonable quality.

What if the player at the top of the list wants £12-15k? Or more.

Should the board not intervene then?

HibeeMG
25-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Text message from <insert director's name here> to <insert manager's name here>:

I'm with <no.1 target>. He wants to sign but will only come for 4.5k pw. That'll stretch your budget. What do you want to do?

Text message back:

GO FOR IT! / F*** HIM! <delete as appropriate>

It's quite easy to communicate these days you know. They don't have to rely on pigeon post.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Text message from <insert director's name here> to <insert manager's name here>:

I'm with <no.1 target>. He wants to sign but will only come for 4.5k pw. That'll stretch your budget. What do you want to do?

Text message back:

GO FOR IT! / F*** HIM! <delete as appropriate>

It's quite easy to communicate these days you know. They don't have to rely on pigeon post.

Indeed. Some of this chat about how Hibs work is quite bizarre.

down-the-slope
25-11-2011, 05:50 PM

Only some....significant amount of keek Andy....

Listen to Geoff Brown interview...money on its own not the answer...but growing the business is...

snooky
25-11-2011, 05:57 PM

GGTTH!

d) and the power to discipline the shirkers without interference or clandestine home cocktail parties :wink:

Saorsa
25-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Indeed. Some of this chat about how Hibs work is quite bizarre.I dinnae really give a ***** about the ins and out of how it works or how exactly the deals get done, only the final result. We keep hearing about how we'll be going for quality over quantity but we've kept ending up with the quantity, an endless stream of dross for years now, and there's reason for that.

Saorsa
25-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Only some....significant amount of keek Andy....

Listen to Geoff Brown interview...money on its own not the answer...but growing the business is...Well this board have been doing a good job of that haven't they? that's why folk have left in droves.

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Why are Scott Lindsay and Fyfe Hyland not parading new manager Pat Fenlon today at ER, i thought Rod Petrie was taking a back seat from things at Hibs and wouldn't be involved that much in the running of things, but yet there he is today doing the interviews and that with the press, it would have been nice to give the credit to SL and FH for finding the new manager and hearing from them on how they tempted PF to Hibs. :cb

CropleyWasGod
25-11-2011, 06:35 PM

By Petrie, I presume you mean the Board, particularly those who have more of an input in the daily running of the club than RP does.

I think it's entirely right that the Board has a say in who comes to the club. If PF says... okay, i want this player, but he's going to cost the wages of two average players...... then the Board would be quite right to say "okay, justify that to us".

To give the manager carte blanche to spend the budget, with no control or supervision over that process, would be irresponsible.

marinello59
25-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Why are Scott Lindsay and Fyfe Hyland not parading new manager Pat Fenlon today at ER, i thought Rod Petrie was taking a back seat from things at Hibs and wouldn't be involved that much in the running of things, but yet there he is today doing the interviews and that with the press, it would have been nice to give the credit to SL and FH for finding the new manager and hearing from them on how they tempted PF to Hibs. :cb

Who cares? The show is Pat Fenlon and the team.

snooky
25-11-2011, 06:39 PM

In Rod we rust. :wink:

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Does this not happen at other clubs? Only Hibs?

RIP
25-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I dinnae really give a ***** about the ins and out of how it works or how exactly the deals get done, only the final result. We keep hearing about how we'll be going for quality over quantity but we've kept ending up with the quantity, an endless stream of dross for years now, and there's reason for that.

Of course there is a reason but unless we supporters take an interest in the cause, this merry go round will be repeated season after season. That is unless Scott Lindsay has learned from the mistakes of Petrie.

Why the fluck did we stand idly by while the well meaning suits that knew hee haw about fitba hand the 'manager of the year' carte blanche to get rid of half the squad that the last guy brought in, possibly paying compensation in the process.

Manager and squad turnover has been at the core of our recent failures. Hibs will hopefully learn to build a longer term squad-building strategy rather than play a hostage to the fortunes of the latest temp coach . Otherwise the churn will continue

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Quite. :agree:

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 06:55 PM

SL and FH should care, because if things dont go the right way for Hibs with Fenlon then SL and FH will not be at the next AGM. :greengrin

:pfgwa :flag: :pfgwa

silverhibee
25-11-2011, 06:58 PM
In Rod we rust. :wink:

All hail Rod. :cb

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2011, 07:00 PM

I think some folk might care, some folk think Petrie has been a big part of why we have been so poor?

They would say his appointments have been poor, and may have been glad he said he was taking a back seat, and letting the others make this new managers appointment.

Now i might be wrong, but todays press conference seems to me by the way Petrie has spoken, that what he said at the AGM was not really true.

And this only gives those against Petrie more ammunition imo.

Kaiser1962
25-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I think some folk might care, some folk think Petrie has been a big part of why we have been so poor?

They would say his appointments have been poor, and may have been glad he said he was taking a back seat, and letting the others make this new managers appointment.

Now i might be wrong, but todays press conference seems to me by the way Petrie has spoken, that what he said at the AGM was not really true.

I think Petrie is only doing the press stuff to piss off The Quiet Man. :agree:

marinello59
25-11-2011, 07:10 PM

There is plenty of ammo already. What Petrie says or deosn't say from now on what change anybody's opinion will it? I listened intently to what the new manager said, I switched the radio off when Petrie came on.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2011, 07:14 PM
There is plenty of ammo already. What Petrie says or deosn't say from now on what change anybody's opinion will it? I listened intently to what the new manager said, I switched the radio off when Petrie came on.

Yip there is plenty, i cant understand why he'd add more? :confused:

IWasThere2016
25-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Petrie is only doing the press stuff to piss off The Quiet Man. :agree:

:greengrin

I stopped taking RP's word for gospel a long, long time ago :wink:

Hibbyradge
25-11-2011, 07:27 PM

Petire has to ignore the folk who are set against him.

There is nothing he could do to make them happy. Everything he does or says offers ammunition to people who refuse to behave rationally.

Incredibly, some folk are trying to make a credible argument against the building of the new East stand and the training complex. I mean, FFS! It's like they want to hold HOMFC up as a footballing model or something because they spent millions on their team. Crazy.

It wouldn't matter if RP had been away visiting alien friends on Mars during the recruitment of Pat Fenlon. If he's not a success then RP will be to blame. He shouldn't have allowed Fife and Lindsay so much freedom, he is the senior executive etc etc.

If he hadn't welcomed Fenlon, I can assure you, folk would be on here calling him a bottler or saying that he'd somehow reneaged on his responsibility.

Nah, he's right to ignore his detractors.

Gaun yersel, The Mighty Tash.

IWasThere2016
25-11-2011, 07:41 PM

A lack of self awareness. Which arguably he does not need as co-owner.

However when it goes wrong RP will blame the manager. When fans starting calling for RP to go recently - CC got the bullet. That said, that's very common in the game ..

He'll retire soon hopefully.

BEEJ
25-11-2011, 08:18 PM
It wouldn't matter if RP had been away visiting alien friends on Mars during the recruitment of Pat Fenlon. If he's not a success then RP will be to blame. He shouldn't have allowed Fife and Lindsay so much freedom, he is the senior executive etc etc.
The CEO is the senior 'executive' in an organisation - or should be. But RP's shareholding possibly tops that in the case of Hibs.

I think you're missing the point here. Had RP kept out of the limelight today then if it all were to go horribly wrong with Fenlon, Rod could honestly say to his detractors, "I had little to do with the selection of PF as Manager. He was the candidate recommended by the Executive Team tasked with the recruitment exercise and the Board accepted their recommendation."

That's not an argument he would be able to make after taking the lead at today's press conference.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 08:22 PM
A lack of self awareness. Which arguably he does not need as co-owner.

However when it goes wrong RP will blame the manager. When fans starting calling for RP to go recently - CC got the bullet. That said, that's very common in the game ..

He'll retire soon hopefully.

You give the impression that everyone wanted RP out and what he did sack RP.

I'd suggest the fans really wanted CC to go as the first priority.

IWasThere2016
25-11-2011, 11:20 PM
You give the impression that everyone wanted RP out and what he did sack RP.

I'd suggest the fans really wanted CC to go as the first priority.

That doesn't make sense, and you've got the wrong impression.

Andy74
25-11-2011, 11:29 PM
That doesn't make sense, and you've got the wrong impression.

If I'd been able to type it might have worked!:greengrin