PDA

View Full Version : Good Irish managers?

sesoim
24-11-2011, 11:59 PM
With the likely arrival of Fenlon, I was just thinking what Irish managers have done well in Britain (Martin O'Neill doesn't count because he's from NI). David O'Leary was ok, but Roy Keane was awful, as was Liam Brady, Stephen Kenny and a few others. Even the Irish international team has only done well with English born/foreign managers.

I'll reserve judgement on Fenlon as this appointment is an unpredictable one. His interview (if he does join us) will let us know a bit more about him. But it disappoints me that with all the good managers Scotland produces, we have to appoint someone from outside the SPL, who will probably need a few months just to get used to the league and evaluated what signings to make. More precious time wasted!

Somebody like Jimmy Calderwood would have known what to do straight away, but the snobbery of some Hibs fans towards him (despite his excellent record) meant he was probably never an option for the board.

steakbake
25-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Poor shout to link the guy's nationality to an assessment he inherently may not be up to the job.

Aubenas
25-11-2011, 12:24 AM
(Martin O'Neill doesn't count because he's from NI).

Eh????

Also Brian Kerr (no not that one), Eoin Hand, Mick McCarthy all had a reasonable record as national team manager.
And successful club managers darn sarf would include Chris Hughton, Sammy McIlroy, Billy Bingham.

Given soccer is second to GAA in most parts of Ireland, that's not a bad record

oneone73
25-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Ridiculous thread. But FWIW, Sam Allardycce started his managerial career with Limerick.

Kammy1875
25-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Can I use this thread to say the amount of ignorant folk that have slagged of Stephen Kenny is unreal. Not Hibees as such but a lot of folk since we have been linked with O'Neil and now Fenlon.

Kenny went to Dunfermline with Calderwood left, they were in real financial turmoil and there was nothing he could do.

Bohemians knocked Aberdeen out of Europe recently and Derry absolutely shat on Premier League Gretna in Europe too, the same Gretna who, in the SPL beat Hearts 3 times out of 4 before any of they twats start.

The LOI is a lot closer to SPL standard than most people think, saying that I don't think Fenlon will bring lots of players over from Ireland, I expect a few loan signings from the Championship for guys who have moved from the LOI previously.

frazeHFC
25-11-2011, 02:00 AM
If he finds us gems like Kevin Doyle on the cheap i am all for him bringing some Irish players over. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2011, 03:27 AM
I've watched a lot of LOI over the years, and while I don't think it generally does have a better all-round standard of player, its a far more exciting league, because any team can win it, and therefore more teams try to play expansive football.

Irish teams do reasonably okay in Europe because of the duration of their season. Particularly the early games, they are fired up and competitive when Scottish players have just staggered off Mediterranean beaches and barstools.

Fenlon has been the best manager in Ireland over the last ten years at Shels and Bohs. He had money at both clubs, but he also had strong opposition, with Cork, Derry and occasionally Drogheda being decent around this period.

I really don't think we could have done much better.

Beefster
25-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Somebody like Jimmy Calderwood would have known what to do straight away, but the snobbery of some Hibs fans towards him (despite his excellent record) meant he was probably never an option for the board.

You need to give up on the Jimmy Caldewood man-crush. He's likely to never be Hibs manager.

Jack Ferrigan
25-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Pat will do a good job for Hibs and possibly a great job for them if he is given

a) A decent budget to build a solid defence.

b) A decent amount of time to achieve a proper rebuilding of our team.

c) A chance to hold onto our good young players .

I have watched Pat Fenlon's progress as a manager and he has the skill and passion to build a good team for us at Hibs .

So to sum up briefly lets give him the money, the time, the players and as much support as possible to get our team playing the type of football we are famed for.

Hibernia Na Eir
25-11-2011, 07:59 AM
I think the English premiership wouldn't be what it is without some of the Irish greats, both management and players. History shows they have produced quality in abundance.
Paddy Fenlon's Green n white army!!!

J-C
25-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Eh????

Also Brian Kerr (no not that one), Eoin Hand, Mick McCarthy all had a reasonable record as national team manager.
And successful club managers darn sarf would include Chris Hughton, Sammy McIlroy, Billy Bingham.

Given soccer is second to GAA in most parts of Ireland, that's not a bad record

Erm, think Mick is Irish purely through parentage ( dad ), Barnsley lad :greengrin

basehibby
25-11-2011, 11:13 AM
You need to give up on the Jimmy Caldewood man-crush. He's likely to never be Hibs manager.

:agree: His record is not bad over the piece, but the style of football he produced at Aberdeen would not be likely to win many plaudits from the Hibs support.

Not as bad as he is often painted on here (or even as bad as the oompa loompa stylee in which he paints his own coupon) but he would hardly excite the masses so he has been rightly overlooked IMO.

Scouse Hibee
25-11-2011, 11:26 AM
With the likely arrival of Fenlon, I was just thinking what Irish managers have done well in Britain (Martin O'Neill doesn't count because he's from NI). David O'Leary was ok, but Roy Keane was awful, as was Liam Brady, Stephen Kenny and a few others. Even the Irish international team has only done well with English born/foreign managers.

I'll reserve judgement on Fenlon as this appointment is an unpredictable one. His interview (if he does join us) will let us know a bit more about him. But it disappoints me that with all the good managers Scotland produces, we have to appoint someone from outside the SPL, who will probably need a few months just to get used to the league and evaluated what signings to make. More precious time wasted!

Aye right then, obviously the board didn't do their homework in appointing an Irish manager!!! WTF are you really going on about?