PDA

View Full Version : NHC Goal Line Technology

francobaresi
24-11-2011, 10:37 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15866363.stm

Personally I'm all for it... Which begs the question, when was the last time, or anytime, we could have benefited from goal line technology...? As the link explains "the entire process takes less than a second, ensuring there is no delay to the game"...

PeeJay
24-11-2011, 11:45 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15866363.stm

Personally I'm all for it... Which begs the question, when was the last time, or anytime, we could have benefited from goal line technology...? As the link explains "the entire process takes less than a second, ensuring there is no delay to the game"...

What worries me is that some clubs/leagues may have it and some not - particularly the further down the leagues one goes - not sure it's the right road to go...

... your question is a valid one: how often will it be used? Is it really worth it? Not convinced...

... as to no delay, I'm not convinced about that either - surely a protest has to be lodged, then someone has to decide if it's accepted, then the evidence has to be viewed and finally a decision made - that won't happen in 1 second - it's not "disciplined" RU, after all, is it?

Gus Fring
24-11-2011, 12:21 PM
What worries me is that some clubs/leagues may have it and some not - particularly the further down the leagues one goes - not sure it's the right road to go...

... your question is a valid one: how often will it be used? Is it really worth it? Not convinced...

... as to no delay, I'm not convinced about that either - surely a protest has to be lodged, then someone has to decide if it's accepted, then the evidence has to be viewed and finally a decision made - that won't happen in 1 second - it's not "disciplined" RU, after all, is it?

I would assume it would be like in Ice Hockey, when the ball crosses the line a light or sound is omitted from somewhere letting everyone know it was a goal.

PeeJay
24-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I would assume it would be like in Ice Hockey, when the ball crosses the line a light or sound is omitted from somewhere letting everyone know it was a goal.

Should have read the Beeb's link beforehand...still not convinced we need it though

--------
24-11-2011, 12:42 PM
FIFA CRITERIA

1. The technology applies solely to the goal-line and only to determine whether a goal has been scored or not.
2. The system must be accurate.
3. The indication of whether a goal has been scored must be immediate and automatically confirmed within one second.
4. The indication of whether a goal has been scored will only be communicated to the match officials (via the referee's watch, by vibration
and visual signal).

I'm trying to work out what this would achieve that training officials to run fast enough to keep up with the play wouldn't achieve equally well?

You can have all the technology in the world, but if the guy operating it happens to be a plook, you'll still get bad decisions.

Caversham Green
24-11-2011, 12:46 PM

The 'FIFA Criteria' panel in the report says that the goal should be signalled to the ref via his watch through vibration and a visual signal. That suggests a chip in the ball type of technology without using TV pictures.

The technology was tested in practice matches here at the Madejski a few seasons back and during an EPL match V Sunderland there was an incident where their spotted goalkeeper howked the ball out from near the line and the ref gave a goal. I had a decent view and would have called no goal, the BBC used 'Hawkeye' type graphics to show that the ball hadn't crossed the line and Sky used similar to show that it had. Sadly, the technology that could have given an unequivocal answer was switched off so we'll never know.

If it was in general production I doubt whether the system would cost a huge amount - certainly less than paying extra match officials for every game - and the lower down the football ladder you go the less financially important these decisions become.

If it's reliable the system should be used to help the ref make a decision, not make the decision for him.

Caversham Green
24-11-2011, 12:51 PM
FIFA CRITERIA

1. The technology applies solely to the goal-line and only to determine whether a goal has been scored or not.
2. The system must be accurate.
3. The indication of whether a goal has been scored must be immediate and automatically confirmed within one second.
4. The indication of whether a goal has been scored will only be communicated to the match officials (via the referee's watch, by vibration
and visual signal).

I'm trying to work out what this would achieve that training officials to run fast enough to keep up with the play wouldn't achieve equally well?

You can have all the technology in the world, but if the guy operating it happens to be a plook, you'll still get bad decisions.

As in my reply to PeeKay, the system I'm talking about uses electronic sensors rather than the human eye to decide whether the ball has crossed the line so it becomes more a question of fact rather than conjecture. The ref still has to decide whether there was an offside, handball etc, but it takes one very important uncertainty out of the equation.

Stevie Reid
24-11-2011, 12:52 PM
This should go ahead, goals are the most important thing in football.

--------
24-11-2011, 12:57 PM
As in my reply to PeeKay, the system I'm talking about uses electronic sensors rather than the human eye to decide whether the ball has crossed the line so it becomes more a question of fact rather than conjecture. The ref still has to decide whether there was an offside, handball etc, but it takes one very important uncertainty out of the equation.

So it would relate simply to whether the ball has completely broken to plane of the goalposts/goal-line?

And when it does the referee gets a clear signal via his watch or a pager device by sight, sound or vibration? (Or all three?)

Hmm. I could see some refs getting quite excited in high-scoring games if they kept the pager in their shorts.... :devil:

(Sorry, I shouldn't have even THOUGHT that thought. :slipper:)

Caversham Green
24-11-2011, 01:17 PM
So it would relate simply to whether the ball has completely broken to plane of the goalposts/goal-line?

And when it does the referee gets a clear signal via his watch or a pager device by sight, sound or vibration? (Or all three?)

Hmm. I could see some refs getting quite excited in high-scoring games if they kept the pager in their shorts.... :devil:

(Sorry, I shouldn't have even THOUGHT that thought. :slipper:)

:agree: It was explained in an article in the local papers at the time. There's a transmitter suspended by elastic bands right in the centre of the ball, and when it passes a receiver in the goalpost by the radius of the ball it sends a signal to the ref. By all accounts it didn't affect the flight of the ball, but I've no idea how successful the tests were.

As for the rest of your post.....shame on you!

WindyMiller
24-11-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/news/19494/7330732/

C (http://www1.skysports.com/news/19494/7330732/)ould be successful

nonshinyfinish
24-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm torn on this...on one hand, if it works properly in the manner described with disrupting play at all, then it's a good idea.

On the other hand, Lampard's 'goal' in the World Cup had me sobbing with laughter.

It's a tough one.

Posh Swanny
24-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm torn on this...on one hand, if it works properly in the manner described with disrupting play at all, then it's a good idea.

On the other hand, Lampard's 'goal' in the World Cup had me sobbing with laughter.

It's a tough one.

But for every Lampard there is a Hurst.