PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will You Give The New Manager?

Speedway
24-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Whether it's Fenlon or the board see sense and appoint Sandy Clark, regardless of results, how long do you think a new manager needs to get us back into the top 5?

greenlex
24-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Unless we are in danger of relegation he should see out a the very minimum two years. We need a wholesale change in culture to winning mentality and professionalism. It will take at least that to instill whoever it is.

ScottB
24-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Realistically, this season is a right off already. If he can get us into the top 6 he will be hailed as a hero, as long as we see an upturn in performance, fitness, commitment etc i think most folk will be happy with that in the short term.

Next season I would be expecting top 6 as a minimum.

matty_f
24-11-2011, 09:10 AM
If he's not confirmed by lunchtime he'll already be in my bad books.

New manager GTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down with everything!

Beefster
24-11-2011, 09:11 AM
He should be given at least a year and probably more but let's not kid ourselves, unless there is a major difference to performances before the end of the season the ST sales are going to crash again in the summer.

So, in reality, he has until the end of the season to make a difference.

easty
24-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Realistically, this season is a right off already. If he can get us into the top 6 he will be hailed as a hero, as long as we see an upturn in performance, fitness, commitment etc i think most folk will be happy with that in the short term.

Next season I would be expecting top 6 as a minimum.

I dont agree that this season is a right off at all. I dont even think top 6 should be that difficult. The standard of teams in the SPL is low, any team playing well will move up the table. There isnt much between teams in the actual standard of player.

.Whitey.
24-11-2011, 09:16 AM
i will support the new manager who ever it may be - but it wont make much difference as they will be sacked within 18 months :rolleyes:

francobaresi
24-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Whether it's Fenlon or the board see sense and appoint Sandy Clark, regardless of results, how long do you think a new manager needs to get us back into the top 5?

Sandy Clark with Robbo no 2...:hmmm:

PeeJay
24-11-2011, 09:17 AM
If he is any good as a manager we should see evidence of it from day one - no more nonsense (IMO) about waiting a few transfer windows, years, until he's got rid of all CC's players and found his own players.

OK - I'm not expecting us to be world beaters at the flick of a switch - but I do expect him to make a difference from the word go - if he can't make a difference now, he won't make it later on: no more excuses. We're only playing against a poor bunch of SPL teams - OF included. Can't be that difficult to organise a team, make them work hard and get a few results. :cb

matty_f
24-11-2011, 09:18 AM
i will support the new manager who ever it may be - but it wont make much difference as they will be sacked within 18 months :rolleyes: You are Mystic Meg and I claim my ten pounds.

Kammy1875
24-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm going to support the manager and his plans for the club for as long as he wants to be here.

When he starts going on about bags of sweeties or isn't committed long term to the club then he can GTF. :cb

KeithTheHibby
24-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I fully intend to boo him from start to finish of his first game and would encourage all Hibbies to join me.

Pat Fenlon, a big name?? only has 9 letters to his name for a kick off.

Fenlon must go...

Alan62
24-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I fully intend to boo him from start to finish of his first game and would encourage all Hibbies to join me.

Fenlon must go...

Surely Pat is short for Patrick which gives him a reasonable 13 letters in his name. Not exactly big like Sir Alexander Ferguson with 17 to his credit or 20 if you include the title (his career is characterised by titles after all) but on a par with Michael O'Neill.

As for a response to the serious question of how long does he get, well, he has to get the rest of this season to show the small improvements (fitness, organisation, tactical awareness) and he has to have the January and Summer transfer windows to display some talent for spotting a player. After that he probably has next season before he can really be judged. Hopefully after that he'll have sorted things out and have the football side of the club going in the right direction.

JimBHibees
24-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Fenlon must go...

Probably Patrick so a few more letters can be thrown in. :greengrin

IMO any manager worth his salt should be able to get short term improvement whether that be in the style of play, fitness, passion, confidence and aggression of the team. I want to see clear signals of progress in the short term appreciating that the job itself will likely take a couple of years to get where he wants Hibs to be.

KeithTheHibby
24-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Surely Pat is short for Patrick which gives him a reasonable 13 letters in his name. Not exactly big like Sir Alexander Ferguson with 17 to his credit or 20 if you include the title (his career is characterised by titles after all) but on a par with Michael O'Neill.

As for a response to the serious question of how long does he get, well, he has to get the rest of this season to show the small improvements (fitness, organisation, tactical awareness) and he has to have the January and Summer transfer windows to display some talent for spotting a player. After that he probably has next season before he can really be judged. Hopefully after that he'll have sorted things out and have the football side of the club going in the right direction.

We made the mistake appointing someone called Jim Duffy all those years ago, I mean for FFS his name only had 8 letters! Petrie the warning signs are there, be it on your head if Pat 'small name' Fenlon doesn't work out. Pfft.

Northernhibee
24-11-2011, 09:44 AM
And what happens when Nutsy fails?

This is just a ploy to get Jimmy Calderwood in.

Tangoman, GTF! :taxi

PETRIE! :slipper:

Chibs
24-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I think he will lead us to scottish cup glory this season.

You heard it here first.

One slightly worrying thing is his nickname.

Can anyone enlighten me to why he is called Nutsy

Northernhibee
24-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I think he will lead us to scottish cup glory this season.

You heard it here first.

One slightly worrying thing is his nickname.

Can anyone enlighten me to why he is called Nutsy

He has three baws.

ScottB
24-11-2011, 09:58 AM
I dont agree that this season is a right off at all. I dont even think top 6 should be that difficult. The standard of teams in the SPL is low, any team playing well will move up the table. There isnt much between teams in the actual standard of player.

I would think top 6 is a decent target to have, but our issues are deeper than someone just coming in and being able to pick a team and formation that works, will take time to get them up to proper levels of fitness and the like.

Top 6 would be a good finish for us this year, given the hopeless state we've been in thus far, I'd be happy with that.

Cropley10
24-11-2011, 10:01 AM
If he is any good as a manager we should see evidence of it from day one - no more nonsense (IMO) about waiting a few transfer windows, years, until he's got rid of all CC's players and found his own players.

OK - I'm not expecting us to be world beaters at the flick of a switch - but I do expect him to make a difference from the word go - if he can't make a difference now, he won't make it later on: no more excuses. We're only playing against a poor bunch of SPL teams - OF included. Can't be that difficult to organise a team, make them work hard and get a few results. :cb

Although I think you could have a world-class coach and it wouldn't make much if any difference. Michael Hart isn't suddenly going to become a right back because Pat Fenlon has come in.

James70
24-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I voted for 12 months simply because we should be seeing some sign of improvement after that length of time. Not expecting to win any trophies or play scintillating football but our previous two managers would have had us relegated if we had given them 2 years.

--------
24-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Until he starts to speak.

If i don't like his accent (I understand he's an Irishman of some sort so he probably speaks with a horrible thick brogue) then I'll withdraw my support for him immediately.

One cannot underestimate the need for the clear enunciation of one's consonants.

Dear Sir Alf Ramsey went to elocution lessons, and HE won a World Cup. :not worth

PeeJay
24-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Until he starts to speak.

Dear Sir Alf Ramsey went to elocution lessons, and HE won a World Cup. :not worth

I guess Germans would suggest it wasn't his elocution, but rather because they didn't have goalline technology back then - :rolleyes:

patlowe
24-11-2011, 12:00 PM
It's a tough one as though I disagree with the rate at which managers are fired these days, I still went for 12 months. The Calderwood experience shows that if things are clearly not working you need to have the courage to get rid. Some kind of improvement by the end of the season and significant progress by Christmas next year - too much to ask?

BEEJ
24-11-2011, 12:03 PM
PF will have my full backing until the point I feel the supporters have given him more leeway than they ever did Yogi.

:spider:

hibby67
24-11-2011, 12:06 PM
He's got my full support indefinitely unless we go backwards (which would be near impossable at the moment).......

smurf
24-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I would hope for a bit better than what we've had so far this season but expecting a dramatic turnaround just isn't realistic with the squad that we have.

--------
24-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I guess Germans would suggest it wasn't his elocution, but rather because they didn't have goalline technology back then - :rolleyes:

Not so much elocution as a lack of electrocution, you mean? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
24-11-2011, 12:12 PM
The first sign of any Under Armour clothing and he can f right off. :agree:

J-C
24-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I said 2 yrs as this should give him ample time to get in his own players, this season is done as far as I'm concerned, players out and in come january and hopefully a bit more stability. Next season is the deciding one, we gave CC time after his initial first few months to get his own team together, after doing so it was plain to see he didn't want to be here, we should've got rid and got someone in the summer, not doing so has left us in this state.

nortonhibby
24-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Hes got at least until the day before the next AGM.

Dashing Bob S
24-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think you pluck a time out off the air, it depends on a) results b) performances c) signs of sustained progress taking place. Calderwood, for example had neither a nor b, and it's debatable if there was any sign of c. He had to go. But he was a terrible appointment in the first place, it was an error of judgement by both him and RP, and he should never have been at ER. That one was different to previous managers where it 'didn't wrk out'. This one was doomed to fail as soon as the summer nonsense started.

I think Fenlon will be a dedicated manager who will have his eyes on the road, so I'll be inclined to give him more time in the drivers seat.

Benny Brazil
24-11-2011, 01:11 PM
He's got until Saturday to get us into the top six or else................

--------
24-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think you pluck a time out off the air, it depends on a) results b) performances c) signs of sustained progress taking place. Calderwood, for example had neither a nor b, and it's debatable if there was any sign of c. He had to go. But he was a terrible appointment in the first place, it was an error of judgement by both him and RP, and he should never have been at ER. That one was different to previous managers where it 'didn't wrk out'. This one was doomed to fail as soon as the summer nonsense started.

I think Fenlon will be a dedicated manager who will have his eyes on the road, so I'll be inclined to give him more time in the drivers seat.

:agree:

This isn't something I had thought about, Bob now you mention it it's obvious that Calderwood was a different case from the other three.

Calderwood was a particularly unwise appointment - as you say, it was a failure of judgement on his part to come north when his home and family were clearly firmly settled in the Midlands of England, just as much as it was a mistake on RP's part.

Hibs manager needs to be living in the Edinburgh area - Hibs aren't a part-time outfit that can be run on the basis of three days a week. CC's absences down south wouldn't have helped anyone - Brown, Evans, whoever - to instil a committed and professional attitude into the players.

If the boss isn't at the club full-time, what does that say about how he perceives the club?

And come to think of it - if RP or the board needed to speak to him urgently on a day he was away from base....

Not the way to run a major football club - which is what Hibernian is, or at least has the potential to be with the right management.

And the summer nonsense WAS nonsense - in hindsight, RP should have grabbed the compensation and booted him out as soon as McLaren and Forest appeared over the horizon. But then hindsight's always 20/20, and maybe Rod felt he couldn't lose ANOTHER manager so soon after Hughes.

The more I read about and hear of Fenlon, the more I tend to agree with your assessment of him, Bob. :agree:

basehibby
24-11-2011, 02:07 PM

I think 2 years is fair for that target. That said, I'll be hoping to see an improvement a lot earlier than that.

Skanko79
24-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Im giving him till christmas........

MrSmith
24-11-2011, 05:48 PM
None of the above Speedy!

He has my immediate support. I also hope again, he rids us of the pretenders within this team! Hopefully come the January window, he will have identified players and further, onto summer, he will be in a position whereby we will have a new set of players being put through their paces at the start of pre-season.

Eyrie
24-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Already said I'm giving him twelve months.

It's not just about looking for an improvement in performances over the rest of this season from the players he inherits but about the players that he brings in. There may be a couple of new faces in January, but he won't be able to do much until next summer. Give the new faces a few months to settle in and we can then judge him.

Of course if he turns out to be as bad as Calderwood then he should only get to the end of tomorrow's press conference, but based on his record I have every confidence in Fenlon and predict that in twelve months we'll be judging him to be a good appointment.

Aldo
24-11-2011, 06:05 PM
None of the above Speedy!

He has my immediate support. I also hope again, he rids us of the pretenders within this team! Hopefully come the January window, he will have identified players and further, onto summer, he will be in a position whereby we will have a new set of players being put through their paces at the start of pre-season.

Spot on MrS

CC didn't have a clue bout nowt IMHO.

As for the new manager... If he is as dedicated as he was at the Bohs job then I don't think we will have a problem.

TBH I am also sure he will have a few players in mind, ones we haven't heard of but for mr as long as they improve the team and don't hide then that will do for me (at the moment).

Let's get behind the man FFS.

Franck Stanton
24-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Voted 2 years, that is providing he shows that the team is showing signs of improvement, better fittness, organisation, willingness to fight for the cause and a top 6 is a given and more ptrobably fighting for a top 4 every season. The Board have to do their bit as well and genuinely back the new guy.