PDA

View Full Version : Previous Short-Arsed Managers

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Already heard some Yam muppet predictably describe our new man as 'Pat Fenian'. That's the level of inspiration those p-r-i-c-k-s operate at.

Nutsy's small frame has been mentioned, is he perhaps the titchiest Hibs manager of our modern era? I can't think of any other wee chaps in the Emerald Office.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Already heard some Yam muppet predictably describe our new man as 'Pat Fenian'. That's the level of inspiration those p-r-i-c-k-s operate at.

Nutsy's small frame has been mentioned, is he perhaps the titchiest Hibs manager of our modern era? I can't think of any other wee chaps in the Emerald Office.

Only an asst. manager but Donald Park was shorter than Auld Mummy Beefster and she's only 4ft 9in.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Only an asst. manager but Donald Park was shorter than Auld Mummy Beefster and she's only 4ft 9in.

Yes, he was a wee guy. What's he doing these days?

Willie Ormond was no giant, don't remember much about him as manager though.

Part/Time Supporter
23-11-2011, 02:01 PM

I think he's some high head-yin in the SFA. Last time I saw him, he was watching a Scotland v Englandshire yoof game at the PBS.

poolman
23-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Bertie Auld wisny that tall a chap if I mind

.Sean.
23-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Johnny Collins.

heretoday
23-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Walter Galbraith was a "slim" man. Not tall, not small. Raincoat, rakish moustache and hat.

High-tailed it with the petty cash leaving a leaky fountain pen and a broken-hearted secretary.

Brought through Stanton and O'Rourke though.

Bohemian_Hibee
23-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Nothing original there from the Jambos, Nutsy was christened 'Pat Fenian' by the Linfield fans when he played for them. He was also called 'Billy Fenlon' by them.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Walter Galbraith was a "slim" man. Not tall, not small. Raincoat, rakish moustache and hat.

High-tailed it with the petty cash leaving a leaky fountain pen and a broken-hearted secretary.

The smooth Clark Cable lookalike certainly knew how to dress - I've seen the pictures. My style template for all Hibernian bosses, totally out on his own till John Collins came along.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Nothing original there from the Jambos, Nutsy was christened 'Pat Fenian' by the Linfield fans when he played for them. He was also called 'Billy Fenlon' by them.

Now why does that not surprise me?

hibbybrian
23-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Walter Galbraith was taller than Jim Easton (5'10") who was our centre-half at the time :wink:

Walter also signed Willie Hamilton, Peter Cormack, Neil Martin, Pat Quinn, John Parke, Tommy Leishman and Billy Simpson - so he could certainly spot a player - getting the team to perform to their capabilities was more of a problem though :greengrin

--------
23-11-2011, 10:52 PM

He died in 1984, Bob. He wasn't a well man when he came to Hibs, so we never got the best of him by a long way.

The job he did on St Johnstone was amazing - League Cup Final, third in the League ahead of Rangers, European football beating SV Hamburg and Vasas Budapest before losing to Sarajevo. That was the high spot for him.

And I consider him the best Scotland manager of my lifetime - even if he did nearly lose Jinky Johnstone in the Firth of Clyde.

Great guy - genuinely great left-winger, good manager badly treated by the SFA, the only thing was, I think he lacked a couple of skins - took the crap he was handed too seriously and that broke him down in the end.

Nil carborundum illegitimis, as my old dad used to say.

Hibbyradge
23-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Nil carborundum illigetimis.

But, unfortunately, they do.

The Green Goblin
23-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Is he our new manager though? Not confirmed yet.

GG

Cropley10
24-11-2011, 10:05 AM
I wonder if Pat will wear the black suit, white shirt and Club tie combo sported by Calderwood, Hughes, Mixu, Collins and Mowbray. Strange how so many managers have all chosen to dress exactly the same for match days.

I'd like to see wee Pat in the Paul Lambert-esque sweatshirt and trackies combo; ready for business.

Bayern Bru
24-11-2011, 11:04 AM
I wonder if Pat will wear the black suit, white shirt and Club tie combo sported by Calderwood, Hughes, Mixu, Collins and Mowbray. Strange how so many managers have all chosen to dress exactly the same for match days.

I'd like to see wee Pat in the Paul Lambert-esque sweatshirt and trackies combo; ready for business.

A quick Google Images search returns many photos of Nutsy in trackies.

Remember when Calderwood wore trackies and we beat Rangers 3-0? It's the way forward. :agree:

Calvin
24-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Any Hibs manager who fails to wear a suit on matchday will not have my support. Not Hibs class.

degenerated
24-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Any Hibs manager who fails to wear a suit on matchday will not have my support. Not Hibs class.

:agree: bespoke tailoring and hand made shoes should be the staple of any hibs manager.

CyberSauzee
24-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Nil carborundum illigetimis, as my old dad used to say.

What a cultured place this is at times. And swearing in Latin gets round the filters.

--------
24-11-2011, 01:31 PM
What a cultured place this is at times. And swearing in Latin gets round the filters.

Alas, not so cultured that I didn't mis-spell 'illegitimis'... :boo hoo:

But as Mr Radge so accurately observes, the *******s do grind you down eventually, and poor Willie got the treatment in full, IIRC.

The mandarins in Park Gardens wanted Ally Macleod as manager - Macloed was openly touting himself for the job while Willie was still in post, btw - so they pushed Willie out without a 'thank-you' and appointed their blue-eyed boy.

Ain't karma a bitch, sometimes? :devil:

.Sean.
24-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd prefer to see the manager of Hibs in a suit. Leave the club tracksuit to jakies like Lennon and Jumbo Jim.

Eyrie
24-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Should he wear a fedora as well?

Bostonhibby
24-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Ach, size isn't everything Bob as many of us know, but you have to appreciate where they are coming from when you look at the comparative success they have enjoyed from some of their ahem, lets call it "larger" appointments - Jumbo, KK, and the legendary Nade spring to mind

Since90+2
24-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Really coudnt care less if he wears a suit , a tracksuit or even a mankini aslong as he gets results :agree:

stu in nottingham
24-11-2011, 06:15 PM
The mandarins in Park Gardens wanted Ally Macleod as manager - Macloed was openly touting himself for the job while Willie was still in post, btw - so they pushed Willie out without a 'thank-you' and appointed their blue-eyed boy.

I had never realised that Willie Ormond was pushed out of the Scotland job in such a way Doddie. Kind of makes sense now what you say though. I'd also say that Willie was the best Scotland manager in my time watching the game. He built a very good side out of some very talented individuals and left a good team behind him. The rest is history as they say though. Always came over as a thoughtful and dignified person when interviewed I thought. A credit to Scotland and to Hibs.

heretoday
24-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Hibs' manager should be like Cloughie and stride about in an old sweatshirt cuffing people on the earhole.