PDA

View Full Version : Brown to go down as the most successful manager this century...

Nailrod
23-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Undefeated throughout his reign. What's not to like about that? :agree:

francobaresi
23-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Sir Alex, eat your heart out... BBGAWA...

mglancy23
23-11-2011, 12:25 PM
He done it with Calderwood's team though......

frazeHFC
23-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Are Gareth Evans and Alastair Stevenson not more successful? :dunno:

Nailrod
23-11-2011, 12:43 PM
He done it with Calderwood's team though......

This post should get a small prize. :top marks

The "done" sets it off perfectly. :not worth

--------
23-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Bob Shankly left very abruptly after the opening League match of season 1969-70 - a game we lost 3-0 to Ayr United at Somerset Park on Saturday the 30th of August. Ayr had just been promoted, and the result was considered a shocker, thought Ayr actually proved themselves to be a very handy side that season.

Anyhow, the board went looking for a successor. It took them some time, the lucky winner being Willie McFarlane, who took over in time to take the team to Ibrox on the 11th of October - a game we won 3-1 with Peter Marinello scoring twice.

Between those two games we had no manager.

We played 6 games.

The results were as follows: St Mirren H 2-1 W; Partick Th H 5-1 W; Celtic A 2-1 W; Raith H 3-1 W; Hearts A 2-0 W; Morton H 1-0 W.

Which means that No One successfully guided the team to 6 wins out of six, scoring 15 goals and conceding 4, and winning at Parkhead and Tynecastle in the process.

Personally, I consider that No One deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame RIGHT NOW!

Unless, of course, Someone can think of Anyone who's done better....​

Kato
23-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Wilson Humphries was unbeaten while in charge of Hibs during Ediie Turnbull's illness - middish 70's.

Dunno the stats for that one, probably a few draws in there.

Steve20
23-11-2011, 01:24 PM

So far. That could change on Saturday against St Johnstone.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Bob Shankly left very abruptly after the opening League match of season 1969-70 - a game we lost 3-0 to Ayr United at Somerset Park on Saturday the 30th of August. Ayr had just been promoted, and the result was considered a shocker, thought Ayr actually proved themselves to be a very handy side that season.

Anyhow, the board went looking for a successor. It took them some time, the lucky winner being Willie McFarlane, who took over in time to take the team to Ibrox on the 11th of October - a game we won 3-1 with Peter Marinello scoring twice.

Between those two games we had no manager.

We played 6 games.

The results were as follows: St Mirren H 2-1 W; Partick Th H 5-1 W; Celtic A 2-1 W; Raith H 3-1 W; Hearts A 2-0 W; Morton H 1-0 W.

Which means that No One successfully guided the team to 6 wins out of six, scoring 15 goals and conceding 4, and winning at Parkhead and Tynecastle in the process.

Personally, I consider that No One deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame RIGHT NOW!

Back then the Yams were cannon fodder for us and this was probably the least impressive of that string of results. (Though perhaps the most satisfying.)

Musselbound
23-11-2011, 01:54 PM

0% win ratio. :taxi

wearethehibs
23-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Ill be the 1 to point it out. The other suggestions people are making are in a different century. Apart from evans and stevenson :)

--------
23-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Ill be the 1 to point it out. The other suggestions people are making are in a different century. Apart from evans and stevenson :)

This is irrelevant, as the zoo-keeper said to the wee boy who wanted to know what the big gray thing with the long nose and the big ears was.

Personally, I count "this century" as "in the last one hundred years" or alternatively, "within my memory" - which, while perhaps beginning to fail in accordance with my advancing years, still allows me to enjoy memories of days when Hibernian weren't the laughing-stock of Scottish football.

Having the best record as Hibs manager since 2001 means the absolute square-root of precisely nothing. Not worth mentioning.

I was simply endeavouring to draw attention to historical fact in an effort to add interest and relevance to an otherwise struggling and incipiently boring and futile discussion.

So sue me! :devil:

ScottB
23-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Are Gareth Evans and Alastair Stevenson not more successful? :dunno:

I'd probably blame those two for much of our p*sh results of the last few years! :wink:

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I would hardly call Jim Jeffries the most successful manager this century.

Oh, sorry, I misread. It says, 'Brown to go down AS the most successful manager...'

wearethehibs
23-11-2011, 04:35 PM
This is irrelevant, as the zoo-keeper said to the wee boy who wanted to know what the big gray thing with the long nose and the big ears was.Personally, I count "this century" as "in the last one hundred years" or alternatively, "within my memory" - which, while perhaps beginning to fail in accordance with my advancing years, still allows me to enjoy memories of days when Hibernian weren't the laughing-stock of Scottish football.Having the best record as Hibs manager since 2001 means the absolute square-root of precisely nothing. Not worth mentioning.I was simply endeavouring to draw attention to historical fact in an effort to add interest and relevance to an otherwise struggling and incipiently boring and futile discussion.So sue me! :devil: You'll be hearing from my lawyer :wink:

ballengeich
23-11-2011, 06:40 PM
You'll be hearing from my lawyer :wink:

Is it McBride or Findlay? Just asking so that Doddie knows to get the other one for the defence.