PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Champions league games

R'Albin
22-11-2011, 07:49 PM
United 0-1 down to Benfica, Phil Jones OG!

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Phil Jones is over-rated :agree:

R'Albin
22-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Apart from that error I think he has done quite well. Though I think is better utilized in midfield, quite pacy and is good at making forward runs:agree:

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 08:03 PM
1-0 Napoli :thumbsup:

Love the Green
22-11-2011, 08:20 PM
1-0 Napoli :thumbsup:

1-1 Mainboy
:na na:
keep thenfaith

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Surprisingly no mention so far of Real Madrid, who were four up after 20 minutes.

Love the Green
22-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Surprisingly no mention so far of Real Madrid, who were four up after 20 minutes.

Real Madrid 4 pathetic excuse for a CL team 0

nonshinyfinish
22-11-2011, 08:33 PM

I don't support any EPL team, but Jones has been really good this season. One mistake doesn't change that.

3-0 after nine minutes...got a bit slow after that. :wink:

R'Albin
22-11-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm on sky player so don't have goal alert, so never took notice:rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Real Madrid 4 pathetic excuse for a CL team 0

Zagreb haven't been great, but Madrid have steam rollered them. Some of their build up play has been as good as you would see from Barca.

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 08:51 PM
5-0 Madrid

YehButNoBut
22-11-2011, 08:57 PM
2-1 Napoli v Man City

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 08:58 PM
2-1 Napoli v Man City

:thumbsup:

YehButNoBut
22-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Fletcher puts Man Utd 2-1 up

R'Albin
22-11-2011, 08:59 PM
2-1 United, somehow he almost managed to miss! :wink:

R'Albin
22-11-2011, 09:00 PM
2-2 Benfica now!!

Almost managed to miss as well!

YehButNoBut
22-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Back to 2-2 now poor defending by Man Utd

H18sry
22-11-2011, 09:08 PM
6-0 Madrid

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Six for Madrid

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 09:24 PM
The Zagreb comeback is on. 6-1 :greengrin

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Another one for Zagreb, 6-2

Man Utd v Benfica finishes 2-2

Barney McGrew
22-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Citeh lose 2-1 in Naples

AFKA5814_Hibs
22-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Top 2 in England but struggling in Europe.

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Citeh lose 2-1 in Naples

****in tragic. If ah were cited ah'd bah t' whole Munich side before t'game next week.

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 09:58 PM
It would be funny if City don't go through to the Last 16 :faf:

Wotherspiniesta
22-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Do you rate anyone?

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 10:04 PM
It would be funny if City don't go through to the Last 16 :faf:

Not only do they have to beat Bayern Munich but they also have to hope that Villareal beat Naples if they are to go through to the knock out stage.

It will be tough. Very tough. :greengrin

I would love it if none of the Manchester sides make it through.

YehButNoBut
22-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Not only do they have to beat Bayern Munich but they also have to hope that Villareal beat Naples if they are to go through to the knock out stage.

It will be tough. Very tough. :greengrin

I would love it if none of the Manchester sides make it through.

Quite possible that the 2 Manchester clubs could go out, Man Utd just need a draw but it will be tough in Basel and if they lose they are out.

Man City will have to beat Bayern Munich and even if they do could still go out if Napoli win in Villareal who are pointless and will hardly be up for it.

HH81
22-11-2011, 10:14 PM
If Manchester city don't go through next week how much will they walk the premiership by? 10 points? Now that would be funny.

YehButNoBut
22-11-2011, 10:22 PM
If Manchester city don't go through next week how much will they walk the premiership by? 10 points? Now that would be funny.

They would still be in the Europa Cup if failing to qualify for CL.

Would be favourites to win it I would think.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 10:26 PM

They would probably prefer not to be in the Europa Cup if it's going to get in the way of lifting their first Premier League title.

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Ah'd take domestic treble n Europa at pinch, then do Barca or Real int super cup next year on t'route to CL.

heretoday
22-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Them and Spurs. Neither of them would be fielding top teams though. It's crazy.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Another really poor result at Old Trafford for United, failing to win from a winning position just like it was against Basel.

It will be tough for them to qualify now. They're now having to go to Basel, with the home team knowing exactly what they have to do, i.e. win and they will definitely go through to the last 16 and if they do that then United will be eliminated.

Of course United only require a point in Switzerland to qualify but I'm not liking their chances to be honest.

The defending tonight for their two goals, the second one in particular, was a joke and extremely amateurish.

They definitely missed Vidic and Rooney tonight and hopefully they'll both be playing against Basel.

As for City, it looks as if they are going out which, considering how much money they have spent and the squad that they have assembled, is ridiculous really.

PISTOL1875
22-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Another really poor result at Old Trafford for United, failing to win from a winning position just like it was against Basel.

It will be tough for them to qualify now. They're now having to go to Basel, with the home team knowing exactly what they have to do, i.e. win and they will definitely go through to the last 16 and if they do that then United will be eliminated.

Of course United only require a point in Switzerland to qualify but I'm not liking their chances to be honest.

The defending tonight for their two goals, the second one in particular, was a joke and extremely amateurish.

They definitely missed Vidic and Rooney tonight and hopefully they'll both be playing against Basel.

As for City, it looks as if they are going out which, considering how much money they have spent and the squad that they have assembled, is ridiculous really.

Hardly ridiculous. The group City are in didn't do them any favours. That fact that you lot haven't qualified is nothing more than a joke...

Sir David Gray
22-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Hardly ridiculous. The group City are in didn't do them any favours. That fact that you lot haven't qualified is nothing more than a joke...

United haven't qualified YET.

I won't be defending United, they should have wrapped up qualification from that group ages ago. Benfica are obviously no mugs but they should have been able to get more than 2 points against them over the 2 games, Basel should have been beaten at home after being 2-0 up inside 20 minutes and the other team I had never even heard of before the draw was made.

It won't be easy but at least it's still in their own hands, which isn't the case for City, who have to rely on Villarreal (who have no points from five matches) to get something against Napoli, whilst Manchester City must also beat Bayern Munich, who are undefeated so far.

HH81
22-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Isn't Manchester United's group the easiest group ever in the Champions league? They should be on 15 points by now.

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I think City while always wanting to win every game, might just be thinking the CL has come maybe a year or two early for them. If they dont get the right results and drop into the europa league, they will rest players, and while the rest are plugging away in the CL, City will be pulling away in the premiership.

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I think we have to realistic and acknowledge that the winners of the CL will come from Spain and rest are makeweights.

PeeJay
23-11-2011, 07:09 AM
I think we have to realistic and acknowledge that the winners of the CL will come from Spain and rest are makeweights.

Think you have to realistically rate the Bayern team this year, much as it pains me to say it.

nonshinyfinish
23-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Think you have to realistically rate the Bayern team this year, much as it pains me to say it.

:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but Benfica are already qualified. As it stands, Benfica and Man United are both on 9 points, Basel are on 8 and Otelul are on 0. With 1 game remaining, I thought it was interesting that Benfica are already down as qualified because they have the same points as United, a worse goal difference than United, and can still be caught by Basel. The two games with United were both drawn, so they don't have a better head to head than United, so why is it that they're top (and qualified) :confused:

dolphan
23-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but Benfica are already qualified. As it stands, Benfica and Man United are both on 9 points, Basel are on 8 and Otelul are on 0. With 1 game remaining, I thought it was interesting that Benfica are already down as qualified because they have the same points as United, a worse goal difference than United, and can still be caught by Basel. The two games with United were both drawn, so they don't have a better head to head than United, so why is it that they're top (and qualified) :confused:

They're ahead of Utd because they scored more away goals in the matches between them (it goes: points in those matches, GD in those matches, goals scored in those matches (the difference between these three is only if >2 teams level), then away goals in those matches). They'll be ahead of Basel if they end up on the same points because they won and drew against them. They can only drop below one or other of Utd and Basel because those two play each other, so they're through.

iwasthere1972
23-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Maybe because Benfica scored 2 in Manchester and United only scored 1 over there. If Basel beat United then Benfica and Basel will qualify. If it's a draw then United will go through. If Benfica lose and the other game is a draw then Basel won't go through despite them having the same points as Benfica as they have a worse head to head.

I think and I'm in a hurry.

hibsbollah
23-11-2011, 12:45 PM
People are getting a bit over excitable about Real Madrid IMO. It was a good win, yes, but Belgrade are in total meltdown, Ajax humped them 4-0 the previous round of matches. I think we might get a surprise finalist this year...Napoli are good enough.

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2011, 02:32 PM
They're ahead of Utd because they scored more away goals in the matches between them (it goes: points in those matches, GD in those matches, goals scored in those matches (the difference between these three is only if >2 teams level), then away goals in those matches). They'll be ahead of Basel if they end up on the same points because they won and drew against them. They can only drop below one or other of Utd and Basel because those two play each other, so they're through.

Maybe because Benfica scored 2 in Manchester and United only scored 1 over there. If Basel beat United then Benfica and Basel will qualify. If it's a draw then United will go through. If Benfica lose and the other game is a draw then Basel won't go through despite them having the same points as Benfica as they have a worse head to head.

I think and I'm in a hurry.

I thought about that, but thought surely a head to head wouldn't be decided by away goals in the group stages.

Surely if the head to heads are level then the next stage should be goal difference, not away goals.

Clutching at straws as a Man Utd supporter maybe, but that seems a daft rule. But then again, since when did what UEFA do need to make any sense? :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
23-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I thought about that, but thought surely a head to head wouldn't be decided by away goals in the group stages.

Surely if the head to heads are level then the next stage should be goal difference, not away goals.

Clutching at straws as a Man Utd supporter maybe, but that seems a daft rule. But then again, since when did what UEFA do need to make any sense? :rolleyes:

Benfica and United are separated by number four on the tiebreaker list and it's Benfica who come out on top;

1-Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question. (Benfica-1, Man Utd-1) LEVEL
2-Superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question. (Benfica-0, Man Utd-0) LEVEL
3-Higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question. (Benfica-3, Man Utd-3) LEVEL
4-Higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question. (Benfica-2, Man Utd-1)

Benfica have qualified already because;

If they lose to Galati and Man Utd beat Basel, they will finish above Basel by one point.
If they lose to Galati and Man Utd and Basel draw, they will finish above Basel because Benfica have 4 points from that head-to-head and Basel only have 1 point.
If they lose to Galati and Basel beat Man Utd, they will finish above Man Utd because Benfica have scored two goals in Manchester and Man Utd have only scored one goal in Lisbon.

Hope that's as clear as mud! :greengrin

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Looking forward to AC Milan v Barca tonight, Barca have strong team out and fancy them for an away win at skinny odds of 8/11.

Milan are 4/1 to win at home, must be the longest odds they have been for a home game. :agree:

Barça starting XI (v Milan): Valdes, Puyol, Mascherano, Busquets, Abidal, Keita, Xavi, Thiago, Cesc, Messi and Villa.

Subs Pinto, Maxwell, Piqué, Fontàs, JDS, Alexis and Pedrito.

SteveHFC
23-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Dortmund fans :top marks

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Celtic 1-0 after 6 mins

Valencia 1 Genk 0

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 07:59 PM
1-0 Barca

Valencia 2 up

Celtic 2 -0 over Dunfermline

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Milan v Barca has been superb so far, now 1-1 :thumbsup:

Biggie
23-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Milan v Barca has been superb so far, now 1-1 :thumbsup:

what a great game eh ?.....Seedorf just strolls it...nice trap on his arse and neat wee pass for Ibra to equalise....should be 2-2 already...no bad atmosphere either...oh for nights like that again.

SteveHFC
23-11-2011, 08:15 PM
2-1 Messi

YehButNoBut
Pen to Barca

Messi takes it and scores 2-1 Barca

Defender only booked but should have been sent off

ref is making hime retake it as he stopped his run, takes it again and scores again still 2-1

This is top quality stuff.

Barney McGrew
2-1 Barca, Messi with a retaken penalty.

hibsbollah
23-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Leverkusen playing some good stuff vs Chelsea. Ballack excellent so far, clearly with a point to prove.

Biggie
23-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Need to get Pato on for the 2nd half......Robinho or "prince" off

NOLA
23-11-2011, 08:32 PM
chelski are awful to watch, damm cooncil tele:boo hoo:

Sylar
23-11-2011, 08:53 PM
The referee in the Milan vs Barcelona game has been pretty poor thus far, but it's been a decent game.

Aquilani should have been off for the penalty, but he booked Nesta, who then got away with a deliberate handball on the halfway line 5 minutes later.

Also can't understand why Abate wasn't booked for that tackle on Fabergas...

hibsbollah
23-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Chelsea and the Arse both go 1-0 up simultaneously. Come on OM!

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Milan make it 2-2 great goal by the Prince

hibsbollah
23-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Cech unbelievable save #3.

Sylar
23-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Milan 2-3 Barcelona

Unbelievable football.

Barney McGrew
Xavi puts Barca 3-2 up with a fantastic team goal

YehButNoBut
3-2 Barca, brilliant fooball, Xavi goal

Iggy Pope
23-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Working away and not near Sky TV - anyone know if there is a CL Highlights package on tonight on ITV?

Hiber-nation
23-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Working away and not near Sky TV - anyone know if there is a CL Highlights package on tonight on ITV?

Aye, 11-12 on STV but 10.35-11.35 in England.

Sylar
23-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Whatever happened to either Genaro Gattuso or Matthieu Flamini at AC Milan?

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Chelsea and the Arse both go 1-0 up simultaneously. Come on OM!

Need a Marseille win for a winning bet tonight. :pray:

Come on OM :aok:

Only around 15 mins to go still 0-0

Iggy Pope
23-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Aye, 11-12 on STV but 10.35-11.35 in England.

Thanks - in England so an early night it is. ...Is it on ITV 1, 2, 3 or 4????

EDIT: ITV 1 it is....

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Valencia :7: Genk :0:

Porto 1 up over Shaktar

Marseille 0 Olympiakos 1

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Milan are very, very lucky they've still got 11 men on the park

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Chelsea lose 2-1 and have to play Valencia at home in the next round, if they lose they are out (Leverkuson will surely beat Genk and top the group) even if they draw they will be on the same points as Valencia, so not sure how that will work.

Could end up with Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs not qualifying. :greengrin

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Could end up with Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs not qualifying

That's impossible, the Premiership is the best league in the world donchaknow.

Iggy Pope
23-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Chelsea lose 2-1 and have to play Valencia at home in the next round, if they lose they are out (Leverkuson will surely beat Genk and top the group) even if they draw they will be on the same points as Valencia, so not sure how that will work.

Could end up with Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs not qualifying. :greengrin

Given the way the season started what an outcome that would be for the Arsenal.

Biggie
23-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Whatever happened to either Genaro Gattuso or Matthieu Flamini at AC Milan?

Gattuso is recovering from a serious eye injury where he was in danger of losing his eye I believe....on the way back but a real serious one.....Flamini ?....who cares, he's no where good enough for where Milan want/need to be...major surgery required for Milan

IberianHibernian
23-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Could end up with Chelsea and the 2 Manchester clubs not qualifying. :greengrinChelsea will go through if they win or it`s a goalless draw at home to Valencia . Any other result and Valencia will go through . On current form , there`ll only be 1 or 2 English teams in last 16 , with several countries probably having more teams .

Hermit Crab
23-11-2011, 10:44 PM
That injury time winner for bayern got my coupon up :greengrin

BEEJ
23-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Van Persie getting both the goals for The Gunners tonight means he's now scored 33 goals in his last 30 games!

:dizzy:

--------
23-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Milan are very, very lucky they've still got 11 men on the park

The referee is dreadful. :agree:

PeeJay
24-11-2011, 08:57 AM
That injury time winner for bayern got my coupon up :greengrin

Bayer Leverkusen:greengrin