PDA

View Full Version : Response from the BBC to complaint about Paul McBride

Sir David Gray
22-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Below is an e-mail that I received earlier today to my complaint which I sent in last week about Paul McBride and his comments about pro-IRA singing at Easter Road;

“Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

During the Sportsound programme of Monday 14th November, Paul McBride QC condemned a section of the Celtic support that indulges in pro-IRA chanting. He explained that under proposed legislation fans indulging in this will be arrested and prosecuted.

Mr McBride also voiced his personal view that offensive chanting was not an issue confined to the West of Scotland. He said that Hearts fans, in his view, sang Rangers light sectarian songs, some Hibs fans singing as well.

Mr McBride was directly challenged by our presenter who read out the following two comments from our audience:

"Can Paul McBride tell me when he's ever heard Hibs fans singing these songs? As a season ticket holder I haven't heard these songs being sung at Easter Road for years."

"Can Paul McBride please enlighten me, a season ticket holder of 16 years at Tynecastle, as to what exactly he refers to as Rangers lite songs being sung at our stadium? I would argue he cannot come up with one single Rangers-esque song. He should be embarrassed that he's trying to deflect blame from his own disgraced club. Have Hearts ever been investigated by UEFA? No."

Paul McBride responded: "I do offer an apology. I didn’t mean to say Rangers light songs. I actually meant to say Rangers songs. I've heard them at Tynecastle singing we're up to our knees in Fenian blood and I've heard that being sung so I'm not listening to that rubbish. I've heard songs being sung at Hibs about the IRA as well so I'm not buying any of that."

Several other comments were read out during the show...

"Utter nonsense to suggest that Hibs fans sing sectarian songs at Easter Road, many years since that was last heard. To claim otherwise is quite deceitful."

"Tell Paul McBride he's talking rubbish. I challenge him to tell me when he's heard these songs at Hibs"

"Mr McBride needs to back up his comments and state exactly what songs he heard at Easter Road supporting the IRA and when he heard them. I have supported Hibs for over 40 years and have never once heard a pro-IRA song being sung."

Paul McBride responded "Tell him to buy a new hearing aid and gies peace."

Our presenter then asked Tom English if he went along with that. He responded that he'd heard such singing at Tynecastle, but not Easter Road.

Jim Traynor agreed that he had heard this at Tynecastle.

It is inaccurate to suggest that Paul McBride QC was allowed to make these statements without being challenged. He was challenged and he defended his view. That is his personal opinion, which is not the view of the BBC.

I hope this helps to address your concerns and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.”

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

Thoughts?

H18sry
22-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Dear MR H18sry

Thank you for your comments, which were passed to the Producer of Sportsound, who has asked that I forward his response as follows:

“Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

During the Sportsound programme of Monday 14th November, Paul McBride QC condemned a section of the Celtic support that indulges in pro-IRA chanting. He explained that under proposed legislation fans indulging in this will be arrested and prosecuted.

Mr McBride also voiced his personal view that offensive chanting was not an issue confined to the West of Scotland. He said that Hearts fans, in his view, sang Rangers light sectarian songs, some Hibs fans singing as well.

Mr McBride was directly challenged by our presenter who read out the following two comments from our audience:

"Can Paul McBride tell me when he's ever heard Hibs fans singing these songs? As a season ticket holder I haven't heard these songs being sung at Easter Road for years."

"Can Paul McBride please enlighten me, a season ticket holder of 16 years at Tynecastle, as to what exactly he refers to as Rangers lite songs being sung at our stadium? I would argue he cannot come up with one single Rangers-esque song. He should be embarrassed that he's trying to deflect blame from his own disgraced club. Have Hearts ever been investigated by UEFA? No."

Paul McBride responded: "I do offer an apology. I didn’t mean to say Rangers light songs. I actually meant to say Rangers songs. I've heard them at Tynecastle singing we're up to our knees in Fenian blood and I've heard that being sung so I'm not listening to that rubbish. I've heard songs being sung at Hibs about the IRA as well so I'm not buying any of that."

Several other comments were read out during the show...

"Utter nonsense to suggest that Hibs fans sing sectarian songs at Easter Road, many years since that was last heard. To claim otherwise is quite deceitful."

"Tell Paul McBride he's talking rubbish. I challenge him to tell me when he's heard these songs at Hibs"

"Mr McBride needs to back up his comments and state exactly what songs he heard at Easter Road supporting the IRA and when he heard them. I have supported Hibs for over 40 years and have never once heard a pro-IRA song being sung."

Our presenter then asked Tom English if he went along with that. He responded that he'd heard such singing at Tynecastle, but not Easter Road.

Jim Traynor agreed that he had heard this at Tynecastle.

It is inaccurate to suggest that Paul McBride QC was allowed to make these statements without being challenged. He was challenged and he defended his view. That is his personal opinion, which is not the view of the BBC.

I hope this helps to address your concerns and thank you for taking the time to get in touch.”

Kind Regards

BBC Complaints

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

A cop out by the beeb
:rolleyes:

scott7_0(Prague)
22-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Below is an e-mail that I received earlier today to my complaint which I sent in last week about Paul McBride and his comments about pro-IRA singing at Easter Road;

Thoughts?

Thoughts... I think it is a good reply from the BBC. You challenged them, they have proven they are not in the wrong and whilst doing that pointed out that they in no certain terms agree with the points being made by Paul McBride.

DC_Hibs
22-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Good response from the BBC. The issue lies with McBride.

Jack
22-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Well that’s the fullest transcript I’ve seen and I have to say it would appear that he was sufficiently challenged in the environment he was in.

The fact that he made a flippant remark and chose not to answer those who challenged him would seem to show the man as is a liar, a bounder, and a cad.

He will have done his reputation no good whatsoever.

Well done on writing.

Andy74
22-11-2011, 03:42 PM
It's as much as you can expect.

He was a guest giving his personal views and he was challenged by the presenters and also by a section of the listeners who's views were read ouit to him for comment.

I don't think there is anyhting for the BBC to apologise for.

killie-hibby
22-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Thoughts?

The evidence confirms my long held belief of Mr McBride being a Paranoid Schizophrenic. The auditory hallucinations could be subdued by full concordance with a prescribed anti psychotic. Hopefully he has insight into his condition and has the motivation to seek from his GP an early appointment with a Psychiatrist.

Spike Mandela
22-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I got the same reply so I presume there were enough complaints worded similarly to merit a block reply.

JeMeSouviens
22-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Tom English actually said he'd heard such singing at Tynecastle but not at Easter Road "but I don't go there much". Jim Traynor agreed he'd heard the songs at Tynecastle. He didn't mention ER at all. So McBride's views were basically allowed to go unchallenged by the pundits.

The presenter (Kenny McIntyre I think) did put the listener challenges to McBride which he responded to with his hearing aid put down. No comeback from anyone.

They should get him back on and if (when) he can't give a specific instance of a song from the Hibs support referencing the IRA, invite him to apologise.

Hibbyradge
22-11-2011, 04:21 PM
A cop out by the beeb
:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what more you wanted them to say, R.

McBride said he has heard Hibs fans sing IRA songs and he stands by that statement.

The BBC can't declare that he no longer holds that view or that he actually made it up.

Calling a lawyer a liar on the air or in writing isn't a particularly clever strategy!

We know the truth and so it seems does Tom English and Jim Traynor.

Hibbyradge
22-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Tom English actually said he'd heard such singing at Tynecastle but not at Easter Road "but I don't go there much". Jim Traynor agreed he'd heard the songs at Tynecastle. He didn't mention ER at all. So McBride's views were basically allowed to go unchallenged by the pundits.

The presenter (Kenny McIntyre I think) did put the listener challenges to McBride which he responded to with his hearing aid put down. No comeback from anyone.

They should get him back on and if (when) he can't give a specific instance of a song from the Hibs support referencing the IRA, invite him to apologise.

Neither Tom English or Jim Traynor, to my knowledge, are Hibs season ticket holder.

How could they have the personal knowledge to individually challenge McBride? :dunno:

He was directly challenged though, because the pundits put the various emails to him and stated that they had never heard such chants.

He stood by his comments.

RIP
22-11-2011, 06:28 PM

I supported Hibs home and away during the 1970's and I can categorically say that Irish republican tunes were regularly sung during that time. Anyone who says otherwise needs a new hearing aid.

That's not the same as Pro-IRA tunes though - is it?

Seveno
22-11-2011, 06:38 PM
For a QC to respond in such a childish rather sums up the man.

ballengeich
22-11-2011, 06:48 PM
McBride is Celtic's answer to Donald Findlay. One's as pompous and self-important as the other.

The Green Goblin
22-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I think it's a fair response, FH, and they have clearly put some thought and detail into it.

GG

fat freddy
22-11-2011, 07:37 PM

I supported Hibs home and away during the 1970's and I can categorically say that Irish republican tunes were regularly sung during that time. Anyone who says otherwise needs a new hearing aid.

That's not the same as Pro-IRA tunes though - is it?

i went home and away during the seventies and there was plenty of i.r.a. songs sung at the matches, on the football special trains, organised supporters coaches and the s.m.t. buses that ran from st. andrews square....it simply cant be denied...but it stopped a long time ago and i haven't heard anything sympathetic to the i.r.a. at easter road in the last two decades...apart from when celtic visit.

Arch Stanton
22-11-2011, 07:56 PM
It's true McBride was challenged but it was a pretty feeble challenge in my view. What is more relevant than what McBride reckons he heard (and I really have no interest in his cognitive processes) is whether BBC microphones recorded the alleged offensive material.

If the BBC have such a record then they should be letting us hear it. If they have no such material then they should be categorically stating that fact!

Jonnyboy
22-11-2011, 08:05 PM
It's true McBride was challenged but it was a pretty feeble challenge in my view. What is more relevant than what McBride reckons he heard (and I really have no interest in his cognitive processes) is whether BBC microphones recorded the alleged offensive material.

If the BBC have such a record then they should be letting us hear it. If they have no such material then they should be categorically stating that fact!

:agree:

kennyh
22-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I got the same reply so I presume there were enough complaints worded similarly to merit a block reply.

Same reply to me also.

mickki40
23-11-2011, 02:29 AM
I for one am glad folks challenged this piece of tripe. Well done Falkirk. :thumbsup:

linlithgowhibbie
23-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Same reply has just winged its way to me as well, at least someone at the Beeb has had to sit down, listen and transcribe the show, so presumably someone higher up in the organisation has noted our thoughts/complaints. Hope he never gets another invite onto the Beeb unless its to either apologise or to prove his point

gav71
23-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Thoughts... I think it is a good reply from the BBC. You challenged them, they have proven they are not in the wrong and whilst doing that pointed out that they in no certain terms agree with the points being made by Paul McBride.personally think the bbc are more or less covering up for mcbride when will they realise that we don't prefer one half of the old firm we can't stand either!!!

Posh Swanny
23-11-2011, 10:13 AM
"I do offer an apology. I didn’t mean to say Rangers light songs. I actually meant to say Rangers songs. I've heard them at Tynecastle singing we're up to our knees in Fenian blood and I've heard that being sung so I'm not listening to that rubbish. I've heard songs being sung at Hibs about the IRA as well so I'm not buying any of that."

While it is obvious to all, including the BBC by the looks of it, that it was McBride's intention to smear the supporters of Hibs and Hearts, and that he was probably successful in that aim - now I see the transcript it is quite clear that the clever ******** hasn't actually accused Hibs or Hearts fans of anything and would be able to argue that in court. How very "Old Firm" of him. The despicable erse.

Sylar
23-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Thoughts?

Exactly what I said they'd resort to if challenged and I think it's a fair comment.

His opinion was exactly that - an opinion of his. It wasn't representative of his employers, any of his clients, Celtic Football Club or the BBC.

As a phone-in programme, the responses were put to him by the presenter, from those who texted or emailed into the show and he responded. In the instance, that's ALL the BBC really need to do.

Golden Bear
23-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Waddyaknow? Is Paul McBride the new man?:greengrin

Wrong thread eh!

Post duly deleted ------- **loody computer or something like that!

:doh:

Wotherspiniesta
23-11-2011, 11:57 AM
While it is obvious to all, including the BBC by the looks of it, that it was McBride's intention to smear the supporters of Hibs and Hearts, and that he was probably successful in that aim - now I see the transcript it is quite clear that the clever ******** hasn't actually accused Hibs or Hearts fans of anything and would be able to argue that in court. How very "Old Firm" of him. The despicable erse.

Not exactly.

After one daft Hearts fan e-mailed in to say " we don't sing rangers-esque songs" McBride said that he had heard them singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood, to which Traynor agreed with. Thereafter no Hearts fans had a word to say..... because they know its true.

But he also stated, when answering the poor deluded Jambo, that Hibs fans sing pro IRA songs, which (rightfully) provoked more responses from Hibs fans....because we know thats bull****.

The man is an imbecile, and I'd absolutely love for the BBC to invite him back on so he could give a reasonable response to when he's heard such nonsense from Hibs fans. It won't happen though.

capitals_finest
23-11-2011, 01:01 PM
This slimey twat is one very naive little man coming out with completely unfounded rubbish in an attempt to tarnish the good name of Hibernian.

Fair play to the people who followed his comments up but everyone in the game knows this man is nothing short of a tit and his comments are embarrassing. The man doesn’t have a clue.

DCI Gene Hunt
23-11-2011, 01:09 PM
This slimey twat is one very naive little man coming out with completely unfounded rubbish in an attempt to tarnish the good name of Hibernian.

Fair play to the people who followed his comments up but everyone in the game knows this man is nothing short of a tit and his comments are embarrassing. The man doesn’t have a clue.

:agree:

Usual Old Firm trick both on and off the park - find themselves in the sewers so chuck lots of sheecht around in the vain hope that some will stick to someone else and they will be dragged down to their level to make them look less bad.

A quarter of a century I have supported Hibs and not once, never, have I ever heard any mention at all of the IRA nor any religious bigotry/mention of the Irish troubles from Hibs fans.

Best not giving this animal the publicity he so craves. Perhaps his efforts as a lawyer/self-made moral crusader would be better spent dealing with the very obvious and very disgusting problems with his own club that continue to perpetually heap shame upon this country.

Gene

PatHead
23-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Wish Hibs would ask him to clarify his comments or face a ban from Easter Road.

Brizo
23-11-2011, 01:15 PM
By their very nature complaints of any sort are usually responded to in a pretty general generic way.And of course those responding know that in tinternet days if the complaints about something controversial particularly fitba any reply will immediately appear on a website somewhere.

Given these factors and the fact theyre dealing with a lawyer with McBridfes profile I think the BBCs reply is pretty good. Well done the hibbies who phoned and emailed the BBC which prevented McBride from achieving his goal of spreading the blame and deflecting attention away from his half of the infirm.

soupy
23-11-2011, 01:15 PM
We can ask Vlad for a shot of his lie detector, that'll sort the ***ker oot. :-)

brog
23-11-2011, 01:26 PM
It's a reasonable response but there's no doubt the presenter failed to follow up properly to McBride's hearing aid nonsense. He should have specifically asked him to name the occasion on which he heard Hibs fans singing pro IRA songs. Another reasonable question may have been to ask McBride the last time he attended ER other than to see Celtc. I don't think there's any conspiracy going on, just the usual incompetence from the Scottish sports media. And this from the land of Hugh McIlvanney, John Rafferty & Ian Wood!

JohnScott
23-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Like other fans who attended games in the 70's at Easter road I well remember Hibs fans singing pro IRA songs (not just republican). However a wee history lesson for Mr McBride:

In 1979 Lord Mountbatten was killed by an IRA bomb on his boat while on holiday in Ireland. Also murdered was his 14 year old grandson and a local 15 year old hired as a deckhand. (The following day 82yr old Lady Brabourne died of her injuries)

Later in the day at Warrenpoint, 18 British servicemen were blown up in two explosions.
In the weeks that followed a section of the Hibs support sang the following song at matches:

"Lord Mountbatten had a boat, ee i ee i oh, and on that boat he had a bomb, ee i ee i oh, with a bang bang here, a bang bang there, Lord Mountbatten everywhere........"

Then Hibs chairman, Tom Hart was so disgusted he took the decision to ban the singing of Irish Republican songs and the flying of the Irish Tricolour inside Easter Road. To achieve this he needed the help of the vast majority of Hibs fans. They did so by booing any pro-republican singing when it started. From that time onwards sectarian chants dwindled and ceased inside Easter Road. I can assure Mr McBride that my hearing requires no amplification and was perfect during the eighties and up to the present day.

The reason I personally felt so insulted by his remarks was for the memory of Tom Hart and the Hibs supporters from that time. You have to remind yourself that I'm talking about 32 years ago. Yet Celtic fans still sing about their support for the IRA six years after they ceased armed conflict.

capitals_finest
23-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Like other fans who attended games in the 70's at Easter road I well remember Hibs fans singing pro IRA songs (not just republican). However a wee history lesson for Mr McBride:

In 1979 Lord Mountbatten was killed by an IRA bomb on his boat while on holiday in Ireland. Also murdered was his 14 year old grandson and a local 15 year old hired as a deckhand. (The following day 82yr old Lady Brabourne died of her injuries)

Later in the day at Warrenpoint, 18 British servicemen were blown up in two explosions.
In the weeks that followed a section of the Hibs support sang the following song at matches:

"Lord Mountbatten had a boat, ee i ee i oh, and on that boat he had a bomb, ee i ee i oh, with a bang bang here, a bang bang there, Lord Mountbatten everywhere........"

Then Hibs chairman, Tom Hart was so disgusted he took the decision to ban the singing of Irish Republican songs and the flying of the Irish Tricolour inside Easter Road. To achieve this he needed the help of the vast majority of Hibs fans. They did so by booing any pro-republican singing when it started. From that time onwards sectarian chants dwindled and ceased inside Easter Road. I can assure Mr McBride that my hearing requires no amplification and was perfect during the eighties and up to the present day.

The reason I personally felt so insulted by his remarks was for the memory of Tom Hart and the Hibs supporters from that time. You have to remind yourself that I'm talking about 32 years ago. Yet Celtic fans still sing about their support for the IRA six years after they ceased armed conflict.

Excellent post.

green leaves
24-11-2011, 11:07 AM
My comlaint with the Scottish legal complaints council is ongoing,aint letting this arrogant wee phrick away with it.

connerg
24-11-2011, 09:54 PM
McBride is Celtic's answer to Donald Findlay. One's as pompous and self-important as the other.

:top marksTwo poisoned individuals both obsessed with their own agenda. OFGTF!!!!!!

connerg
24-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Agreed, Hibs made an effort to stamp it out and they did. Apart from paying lip service to the problem while getting 250k from the Scottish Government, what have Celtic done? They discretely encourage it! They call it being Celtic minded!!!

Jonnyboy
24-11-2011, 10:25 PM

Well said JS :agree:

Jacobite
24-11-2011, 10:30 PM
The last time songs about Ireland and the IRA were sung in Easter Road stadium was in the 1980's. I know this as a fact because I went to school with some of the Celtic fans who went to Easter Road to watch Hibs at home because they were too young to go to Glasgow. Young Hibs and Celtic fans used to sing these songs. The singing stopped when the Celtic fans started going to Glasgow and the Hibs fans grew up and learned what the songs were about. Celtic fans still sing the songs while Hibs don't. McBride obviously has not done any research to back his statement.

Arch Stanton
24-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I really have to wonder - when McBride heard pro-IRA songs being sung at Easter Road as he claims were Hibs playing Celtic by any chance?

Edit: In fact it could be that it is eyesight that is the problem and not other peoples hearing - should he have gone to SpecSavers perhaps?

clerriehibs
24-11-2011, 11:01 PM
The last time songs about Ireland and the IRA were sung in Easter Road stadium was in the 1980's. I know this as a fact because I went to school with some of the Celtic fans who went to Easter Road to watch Hibs at home because they were too young to go to Glasgow. Young Hibs and Celtic fans used to sing these songs. The singing stopped when the Celtic fans started going to Glasgow and the Hibs fans grew up and learned what the songs were about. Celtic fans still sing the songs while Hibs don't. McBride obviously has not done any research to back his statement.

Thre's always been young Hibs fans, at least since 1875, longer than there's been young celtc fans.

It's nothing to do with any particular generation growing up.

As a previous poster said, Tom Hart took a grip and sorted it out from the top - and that'll never happen from celtc park.

Oh - special mention due to bus conveners such as Jimmy (Marriott?) of Carlton(!), for his ear piercing "nae party songs" on HIS bus.