22-11-2011, 02:17 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15835359.stm

Persevere80
22-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I shouldn't, but it made me laugh. :devil:

stokesmessiah
22-11-2011, 02:45 PM

I am sure you would be laughing if it was you or one of your own as well?? What a stupid response !

Neil4Hibs
22-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Absolute class from Tony Mowbray and Middlesboro' FC. Respect to them.

SlickShoes
22-11-2011, 02:54 PM

I don't even get what is funny about it?

scott7_0(Prague)
22-11-2011, 02:58 PM

ignorant t!t.

Back to the op's post. Total respect to TM, things like this help keep the lad focused and interested in life.

givescotlandfreedom
22-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Brilliant from Boro and I hope it works well for both parties. What a horrible thing to happen to someone - particularly a former professional athlete.

hibee92
22-11-2011, 03:02 PM

have a word, clown.

top class stuff :top marks

Hibercelona
22-11-2011, 03:03 PM
A post for us .net lite users please. :wink:

Cameron1875
22-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Great guy, too nice a guy for celtic. :agree:. Glad it didnt work there, those :asshole: don't deserve success.

James70
22-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't wish something like that on my own worst enemy, especially when it happens to someone relatively young. Good on TM.

Pretty Boy
22-11-2011, 03:24 PM
A touch of class from Mowbray.

I was watching Middlesborough v Blackpool on Saturday and what I'd give to see Hibs try to play like either of those 2. The emphasis seemed to be on entertaining the punters, keeping the ball reasonably close to the ground and trying to win a game by scoring goals rather than sneak a draw by not conceding.

lapsedhibee
22-11-2011, 03:28 PM
A post for us .net lite users please. :wink:

When Blackpool head of youth development Gary Parkinson suffered a severe stroke in September 2010 that left him paralysed, it appeared his involvement in football was over.

But, despite the huge setback, Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray has found a way of tapping into the former Boro defender's football knowledge.

The 43-year-old, a former Ayresome Park team-mate of Mowbray's, suffers from locked-in syndrome.

It is an illness which leaves the sufferer fully cognitively aware but totally paralysed apart from being able to use their eyes.

Parkinson views DVDs of potential signings for Mowbray and subsequently rates the players by blinking to his wife Deborah.

"Tony and his coaching staff, like Mark Proctor and Stephen Pears, have been fantastic for Gary," Deborah told the Northern Echo.

"When Tony first came to see Gary, he could see Gary was still aware of everything that was going on around him. So he asked Gary if he wanted to do some scouting for him.

"A DVD comes down to us, with a sheet of paper. There is a description of the player, his name, his age, his position and the clubs he has played for."

As a player, Parkinson made more than 450 league appearances, the bulk of which came with Middlesbrough, Burnley and Preston.

"Gary still loves his football, knows all about youth football from his time as the youth team coach at Blackpool, and you can see he picks up when he is doing it," Deborah continued.

"I have done it with him and so has my son, Luke."

southfieldhibby
22-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Great guy, too nice a guy for celtic. :agree:. Glad it didnt work there, those :asshole: don't deserve success.

Lets not forget his 'class' when running onto Er to 'huddle' with his players or the McGeady incident...his standing with hibbys should have fell thru the floor after that.

wrt to the link, good effort there, credit where it's due.

Persevere80
22-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I shouldn't, but it made me laugh. :devil: Yes, this was a spur of the moment post while i was at work finishing up and i felt guity the minuite i posted it. i appologise to everybody on the net. im not my usual self latley.

Hibercelona
22-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Cheers RH. Great wee story there. Hope he can continue to be involved in the game for many more years.

HibeeMcGinn1
22-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Clown

HibeeMG
22-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes, this was a spur of the moment post while i was at work finishing up and i felt guity the minuite i posted it. i appologise to everybody on the net. im not my usual self latley.

Fair play. We've all done daft things in the spur of the moment.

lyonhibs
22-11-2011, 07:45 PM
That "locked-in syndrome" sounds like an absolute living hell. Well done to Mowbray and Boro - class like that is far better off away from Parkhead.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2011, 08:06 PM
That "locked-in syndrome" sounds like an absolute living hell. Well done to Mowbray and Boro - class like that is far better off away from Parkhead.

:agree: Well done to TM.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Fair play. We've all done daft things in the spur of the moment.

Yes, I remember deciding to support Hibs in a crazy moment when I was 9........... :wink:

Sir David Gray
22-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I've just finished reading this article on another website and I think that's a really brilliant thing that Mowbray has done here. It's so easy for people just to dismiss those who have this kind of disability as useless and unable to do anything but Mowbray has shown here that is not the case.

I feel so sorry for Gary Parkinson and his family and friends. I've just read a description of this "locked-in syndrome" and it sounds absolute torture. To be fully conscious and aware of what is happening around you but unable to move or communicate by speech must be total hell. That really would be my worst nightmare and as someone else has said already, I would not wish that kind of thing on my worst enemy.

It's great, though, that's he's still going to have a purpose in life and be able to contribute in something that he obviously loves and is very knowledgable about.

Good luck to him, his friends and family and Middlesbrough FC. :aok:

ScottB
22-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Sounds like the worst kind of hell to be going through, immense respect for the guy for battling on and doing something with his life.

hibsbollah
23-11-2011, 08:27 AM
As well as the obvious 'nice guy' element to the story, its good old fashioned self-interest on Mowbrays part as well. Its likely that Parkinson will be better at this job than an average player scout because he will be uniquely focussed on the task at hand in a way an able-bodied person might not be. (although we all know from the likes of Abdel Zarabi that you cant judge a player just by watching videos).It sounds like Mowbray has revolutionised the total organisational culture at Boro...even small details like this shows he's thinking 'out of the box',and with imagination,to make things better at the club. The kind of culture change we need at Easter Road.

Speedway
23-11-2011, 08:36 AM
As an aside, what a former heroes setup they've got there with Mowbray, Parkinson, Proctor, Cooper and Pears all involved.

I think he was meant to manage that club. Superb.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Irrespective of what some Hibs fans think of Mowbray after the way he left and the 'huddle incident', he is a good guy. Stuff like this just reinforces the fact.