PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon

Pages : [1] 2

FastEddieFelson
22-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Posted by a Shamrock Rovers fan on huddleboard.net:

Fenlon To Hibs
Rumour has it he has been offered the gig. £3/4k a week plus house and car. 3 year deal.

Up to the missus now as she is reluctant to leave Dublin.

don't shoot the messenger...

Gatecrasher
22-11-2011, 11:47 AM
if this is wrong the messenger is going down :gun:

frazeHFC
22-11-2011, 11:48 AM
if this is wrong the messenger is going down :gun:

:tee hee:

Persevere80
22-11-2011, 11:52 AM
if this is wrong the messenger is going down

He is not called FastEddieFelson for nothing, you know. :gun:

Jack
22-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Not saying its not believable but it would be more believable if the salary was in line with what Calderwood was on, or even close.

Billy Whizz
22-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Not saying its not believable but it would be more believable if the salary was in line with what Calderwood was on, or even close.

What do you believe CC was on?

Posh Swanny
22-11-2011, 12:02 PM

I heard calderwood was given £5750 a week budget for him and an assistant. He took £5000, which may explain the trouble he had getting an assistant.

BEEJ
22-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Maybe, as someone coming from the Irish leagues, Fenlon commands a lower salary at this stage than CC did?

Jack
22-11-2011, 12:08 PM
What do you believe CC was on?

I heard calderwood was given £5750 a week budget for him and an assistant. He took £5000, which may explain the trouble he had getting an assistant.

I believe the figure was revealed at the AGM, were you there Posh?

smurf
22-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I hope its not true that we are giving such an appointment a three year deal on such terms.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 12:18 PM

I am not for one minute calling you a liar but I find that extremely hard to believe. Why would the club have left it to Calderwood to determine what his assistant would get paid. It wouldn't be in Hibs interest unless Calderwood agreed to take what he was actually worth and the assistant got the remaining £5749.50.

silverhibee
22-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I hope its not true that we are giving such an appointment a three year deal on such terms.

Maybe a rolling contract.

smurf
22-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Whoever is the new man needs to be given free reign to do what the hell he likes with the backroom staff and playing personnel.

It's not just a change of manager that's needed it wholesale change throughout.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe a rolling contract.

Is Tam McCourt on a rolling contract?

NOLA
22-11-2011, 12:23 PM
a 3 year deal is job security for the manager and his family, if he was offered a 1 year deal would he take the job?

smurf
22-11-2011, 12:25 PM
a 3 year deal is job security for the manager and his family, if he was offered a 1 year deal would he take the job?

What contract do you have in your work? How many years?

As Silver says a rolling contract would make sense.

Northernhibee
22-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd be delighted with Fenlon.

Golden Bear
22-11-2011, 12:29 PM
And remember that a new Manager needs at least 3 years to implement his master strategy for the Club.

:wink:

ScottB
22-11-2011, 12:29 PM

It's a rumour after all.

Could be any number of permutations. Certainly if possible I'd like some performance clauses in there, but it's unlikely we will ever know the nitty gritty of the contract itself.

GloryGlory
22-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Bohs fans seem to think it's a done deal.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Elephant Stone
22-11-2011, 12:44 PM

They seem pretty pleased as well. Worrying.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Quite possible if he were to get £3K/£4K a week which is the figure being banded around. That's about 3 times what he's apparently getting paid in Ireland.

Leave the wife and kids in Dublin in case it goes pear shaped in the next 12 months or so and if it does then to expect him home just before the Hibs AGM. Otherwise family move to Edinburgh next year.

:aok:

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Holy moses. That's the only messageboard I've come across that I've needed a torch to read.

Golden Bear
22-11-2011, 12:49 PM
IF it is a 3 year deal and Fenlon proves himself to be a successful Manager then the length of the Contract could work in Hibs favour as he would probably become a target for Clubs with bigger resources than Hibs. A hefty compensation package would then come into play.

I just hope he doesn't end up with the plastic paddies.

HibbyRod
22-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Quite possible if he were to get £3K/£4K a week which is the figure being banded around. That's about 3 times what he's apparently getting paid in Ireland.

Leave the wife and kids in Dublin in case it goes pear shaped in the next 12 months or so and if it does then to expect him home just before the Hibs AGM. Otherwise family move to Edinburgh next year.

I think it was stated by Scott/Fife at the AGM that the next Manager will have to commit to living in the Edinburgh/Lothians area.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's what was said.

RedandBlack
22-11-2011, 12:53 PM

The reason Bohs fans are so happy is because(if true) he will be off the wage bill. We can't afford him and no longer need him. We will more than likely have a very young team out next year and will not need a manager of Fenlon's experience.

We have much bigger issues then the playing side at the minute because of the complete mismanagment of our club by the board.

Fenlon is an excellent manager and good luck to him at Hibs, hopefully he steadies the ship and turns results around.

PatHead
22-11-2011, 12:54 PM

From the Bohs fans comments look like we have a good one here. but only concern is a manager away from the wife and kids again, not here for training on a Monday etc..................have we not had our fingers burnt before? Hope it is a condition of the job he moves here.

pogo
22-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Think the reason they would be pleased is due to their club being nigh on bankrupt, and this would remove a large (relatively) wage which they can't afford. Most seem to wish him well, and feel he'll do ok in the job.
Time will tell I suppose(whether he does get the job/how well he does)

Andy74
22-11-2011, 12:55 PM

For cash reasons.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I think it was stated by Scott/Fife at the AGM that the next Manager will have to commit to living in the Edinburgh/Lothians area.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's what was said.

Well I suppose there would be nothing to stop Fenlon from accepting the job on those terms and still leaving his family in Dublin until this time next year when he will no doubt either be fired or hailed as a success. Edinburgh to Dublin is a fairly easy commute and when he's up here there's always the phone and Skype.

chrisski33
22-11-2011, 12:57 PM

i read otherwise! seems they were pleased with him but he has a high wage and needed him off the books to help their financial troubles

Elephant Stone
22-11-2011, 12:59 PM
The reason Bohs fans are so happy is because(if true) he will be off the wage bill. We can't afford him and no longer need him. We will more than likely have a very young team out next year and will not need a manager of Fenlon's experience.

We have much bigger issues then the playing side at the minute because of the complete mismanagment of our club by the board.

Fenlon is an excellent manager and good luck to him at Hibs, hopefully he steadies the ship and turns results around.

Gotcha :aok: How would you compare him with O'Neill?

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Calderwood was on £285k a year i heard.

Brebners Bookie
22-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Is Tam McCourt on a rolling contract?

Why does Tam McCourt get so much stick just now? Is he not just the kit man?

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Why does Tam McCourt get so much stick just now? Is he not just the kit man?

Where are you getting that from?

I was asking if he was on a rolling contract as I wasn't sure if he was responsible for keeping the pitch in good shape. You may have to engage your brain for that one. :wink:

RickyS
22-11-2011, 01:22 PM
seems only skybet are taking bets on it and they are giving only 1/6

http://www.easyodds.com/sports-betting/football-betting/specials/next-manager/outright/next-permanent-hibernian-manager.html

Northernhibee
22-11-2011, 01:25 PM
seems only skybet are taking bets on it and they are giving only 1/6http://www.easyodds.com/sports-betting/football-betting/specials/next-manager/outright/next-permanent-hibernian-manager.html Ace. He'll do a cracking job.Pat Fenlon's Green and white army!

frazeHFC
22-11-2011, 01:26 PM
"I don't think it'd be that big a deal if Hibs were to get to the EL group stages"

Yes it bloody would!!!

I got the impression that they were pleased because they are in horrific debt and need the wage bill reduced. Most seemed sad to see him go and think he will do a much better job than "the Alche", although they will have Bohs tinted glasses on.

Holy moses. That's the only messageboard I've come across that I've needed a torch to read.

:agree: When i clicked back onto my .net tab i was nearly blinded by the brightness! :tee hee:

Twa Cairpets
22-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I am not for one minute calling you a liar but I find that extremely hard to believe. Why would the club have left it to Calderwood to determine what his assistant would get paid. It wouldn't be in Hibs interest unless Calderwood agreed to take what he was actually worth and the assistant got the remaining £5749.50.

:greengrin

However, I do believe that this is exactly what the situation was. I was told that CC was given responsibility for this area of his budget completely by someone with no axe but good connections to the board through family.

RedandBlack
22-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Gotcha :aok: How would you compare him with O'Neill?

I would be biased but I think he is a better manager.

MON achieved this year what no other manager has in Ireland in qualifying for the group stages of Europa. His 2 league titles would not be at the same level as Fenlon’s. They won the league in a year when nearly all other clubs were in disarray.

MON has done a good job with them but there seems to be constant rumbles of displeasure with him from the fans.

You won’t go wrong with Fenlon on experience, he has won 5 league titles between 2003-2009 with Bohs and Shels. He seems to get the best out of his players and he would have massive respect here in Ireland.

Im sure most Hibs fans will be disappointed with him as they feel the LOI would be a lower standard but take the OF out of it and it is not. Ward, Doyle, Hunt, Coleman, Fahey, Houlihan etc… have all gone from LOI in the last few years and done very well in the premiership

Hibby cal
22-11-2011, 01:31 PM
They obviously need to reduce there debt, most think he'll do a job for us
, so if it's to be him , let's get right behind him

Elephant Stone
22-11-2011, 01:34 PM

MON achieved this year what no other manager has in Ireland in qualifying for the group stages of Europa. His 2 league titles would not be at the same level as Fenlon’s. They won the league in a year when nearly all other clubs were in disarray.

MON has done a good job with them but there seems to be constant rumbles of displeasure with him from the fans.

You won’t go wrong with Fenlon on experience, he has won 5 league titles between 2003-2009 with Bohs and Shels. He seems to get the best out of his players and he would have massive respect here in Ireland.

Im sure most Hibs fans will be disappointed with him as they feel the LOI would be a lower standard but take the OF out of it and it is not. Ward, Doyle, Hunt, Coleman, Fahey, Houlihan etc… have all gone from LOI in the last few years and done very well in the premiership

The SPL is utter piss, we won't be turning our noses up at any league at the moment!

RickyS
22-11-2011, 01:34 PM

listen mate, the ******* we have been watching for the past 2yrs there is nowt of a lower standard:greengrin

Ollie Reed
22-11-2011, 01:38 PM
"I don't think it'd be that big a deal if Hibs were to get to the EL group stages"

Yes it bloody would!!!

I got the impression that they were pleased because they are in horrific debt and need the wage bill reduced. Most seemed sad to see him go and think he will do a much better job than "the Alche", although they will have Bohs tinted glasses on.

:agree: When i clicked back onto my .net tab i was nearly blinded by the brightness! :tee hee:

I know the bit in bold has been used from the Bohemians side of things, but any chance we could refrain from this tag...particularly when it's untrue.

iwasthere1972
22-11-2011, 01:38 PM

However, I do believe that this is exactly what the situation was. I was told that CC was given responsibility for this area of his budget completely by someone with no axe but good connections to the board through family.

Well if that is the case then it's absolutely bonkers. Hope the next manager is not offered the same deal.

Musselbound
22-11-2011, 02:03 PM
The SPL is utter piss, we won't be turning our noses up at any league at the moment!

I agree with you but many people still do. I still hear it all the time. It's laughable because I'm sure many of them are as quick to criticise the SPL as anyone else.

silverhibee
22-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I was asking if he was on a rolling contract as I wasn't sure if he was responsible for keeping the pitch in good shape. You may have to engage your brain for that one. :wink:

Dont think Tam has anything to do with looking after the pitch at ER anymore, so he wont be rolling it. :greengrin

Musselbound
22-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Maybe Calderwood didn't want the house as he was always down south? His petrol must've cost a fortune, mind you. Car probably a write off already due to the mileage it's done.:taxi

Posh Swanny
22-11-2011, 02:17 PM

To be fair, I was told by someone with a massive axe. In fact, he was sharpening it as he told me.

Spike Mandela
22-11-2011, 03:05 PM
My preference would have been MON as he is the only candidate I have ever met and found him an impressive character.

The Tony Mowbray period at Hibs taught me to ignore the excitement/disappointment felt at announcement of a new manager prior to actually seeing them at work.

If Fenlon is indeed the new manager and can improve results with the current liabilities in the squad he will deserve all the credit that would come his way.

offshorehibby
22-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Noticed Sturock's moved up to 9/2

jacomo
22-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Cheers for the info. :thumbsup:

Brebners Bookie
22-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Not you personally but i juat read someone saying TAM MCCOURT OUT on another thread. Is it another joke gone over my head or are folk serious?

KeithTheHibby
22-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Hard to get excited about either Fenlon or MoN.

Both manage in a diddy league for a start. Not even sure what league in Scotland could draw comparisons with it.

marinello59
22-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Both manage in a diddy league for a start. Not even sure what league in Scotland could draw comparisons with it.

Dearie me. Let's not get too sniffy about other leagues given the state of the SPL right now. Even if it is a lower standard isn't achieving success there the ideal apprenticeship before moving up a level?

JimBHibees
22-11-2011, 04:06 PM

The non-OF SPL ?

JimBHibees
22-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Given that only one country still has a team in Europe surely there isn't one.

Celtc still in europa league.

Elephant Stone
22-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Celtc still in europa league.

Uh oh :embarrass

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Celtc still in europa league. You can understand why people would forget they were Scottish!

JimBHibees
22-11-2011, 04:21 PM
You can understand why people would forget they were Scottish!

Indeed. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 04:42 PM
You can understand why people would forget they were Scottish!

They seem to be the only ones that consistently do that. Then they forget that they are 'Irish' when it comes to standing alongside their 'enemies' and begging to play in England.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't say I didn't tell you's. This is stick on now.

NOLA
22-11-2011, 05:26 PM
im away to find a bookie open :greengrin

number9dream
22-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Chat on Bohs message board is that Fenlon has agreed a 3.5 year contract.

Would BB stay on as assistant?

Speedway
22-11-2011, 07:48 PM
If it is to be Fat Penlon then I hope his Hibs sides are better than the team he brought here and got beat by CC's bunch of losers.

Eyrie
22-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Chat on Bohs message board is that Fenlon has agreed a 3.5 year contract.

Would BB stay on as assistant?
Fenlon has his own assistant Liam O'Brien, so I'd be surprised if he didn't bring him in. That would probably mean the end for Brown, unless he was willing to step down and be a coach.

Jonnyboy
22-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Not you personally but i juat read someone saying TAM MCCOURT OUT on another thread. Is it another joke gone over my head or are folk serious?

It's a joke BB :agree:

Hamish
22-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Fenlon has his own assistant Liam O'Brien, so I'd be surprised if he didn't bring him in. That would probably mean the end for Brown, unless he was willing to step down and be a coach.

JJ has been offered a job abroad apparently so he might have an option:greengrin

smurf
22-11-2011, 08:22 PM
If it is to be Fat Penlon then I hope his Hibs sides are better than the team he brought here and got beat by CC's bunch of losers.

Has there been a more one sided game at Easter Road in our favour since we beat the Yams 1-0 in the League Cup?

This appointment fills me with no confidence.

oneone73
22-11-2011, 08:25 PM
not like you to be downbeat!

Russ
22-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Has there been a more one sided game at Easter Road in our favour since we beat the Yams 1-0 in the League Cup?

This appointment fills me with no confidence. Coming from one of the most negative posters in message board history, your negative comment comes as no surprise.

Bostonhibby
22-11-2011, 08:26 PM
JJ has been offered a job abroad apparently so he might have an option:greengrin

:agree:Heard he has been successful in his application for the position of body double to Peter Griffin on Family Guy.

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Looks like he'll be unveiled tomorrow (Wednesday) if reports are truly.

Absolutely delighted for him, he's finally got his opportunity to manage accross the water. This is actually a much better job than the Dundee Utd one which he was denied a couple of years ago. Hibs have a top class 20,000 all seater stadium, have potentially a massive support (currently the fourth best supported side in the SPL despite years of mediocrity), have possibly the best training facilities in Scotland. I've no doubt he'll put every ounce of energy into improving a Hibs side, who to be honest, are pure ***** and horrible to watch.

Great news from Bohs, from a financial point of view of course. It will take a major strain off us over the next 3 or 4 months. Fenlon often frustrated me, he gave us so many great moments, but failure to secure the 3-in-a-row and failure in europe will be amongst my memories of his tenure.

The vast majority of Hibs fans will not be happy with this. Most of them dismiss the LoI, believing it is vastly inferior to the SPL (happily ignoring recent results between SPL and LoI teams and the awful performances of Scottish sides, OF aside, in the last 10 years or so). In their eyes, Fenlon is an unknown quantity, does not know the league, not having played or managed there before. The Hibs boo boys, much like our own equivalent, are not known for their patience and will want instant progress. Despite needing a major overhaul, Hibs under Fenlon will need to show big signs of improvement, so he may not have the luxury of a period of transition.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17224&sid=b018876c459967ce355ac6358d60fced&start=180

Springbank
22-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Behave - What does JJ know about basketball in Lithuania:confused:

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 08:29 PM
:agree:Heard he has been successful in his application for the position of body double to Peter Griffin on Family Guy.

Family Guy will never be the same now :greengrin

bingo70
22-11-2011, 08:30 PM

I think to be fair from what i can make out he had just started to rebuild a team from scratch after most of the squad were released last summer. His successfull career to date would suggest teams he manages are normally better than that.

ScottB
22-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Given that that was a team of players he cobbled together with no money just after they'd released most of their team, I wouldn't read much into it.

Sorry if that gets in the way of a good old lets find something / anything to moan about session.

smurf
22-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Coming from one of the most negative posters in message board history, your negative comment comes as no surprise.

Yeah. No doubt. I'm still going paying my money. Around 5000 are now staying away. Must be my negativity and not other issues I presume...

smurf
22-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I think to be fair from what i can make out he had just started to rebuild a team from scratch after most of the squad were released last summer. His successfull career to date would suggest teams he manages are normally better than that.

Fair comment. If this is the guy I will support him. As I did with CC despite having great concerns over his appointment.

smurf
22-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Given that that was a team of players he cobbled together with no money just after they'd released most of their team, I wouldn't read much into it.

Sorry if that gets in the way of a good old lets find something / anything to moan about session.

Not about finding something to moan about. It's about giving an honest opinion.

Hibtastic
22-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Fair comment. If this is the guy I will support him. As I did with CC despite having great concerns over his appointment.

The more I hear about Fenlon, the more I like. These negative posters and the boo boys at ER are not hibs supporters, they are a hindrance and are actually doing the team more harm than good. Fenlon will get my support and best wishes, that's for sure.

bingo70
22-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Looks like he'll be unveiled tomorrow (Wednesday) if reports are truly.

Absolutely delighted for him, he's finally got his opportunity to manage accross the water. This is actually a much better job than the Dundee Utd one which he was denied a couple of years ago. Hibs have a top class 20,000 all seater stadium, have potentially a massive support (currently the fourth best supported side in the SPL despite years of mediocrity), have possibly the best training facilities in Scotland. I've no doubt he'll put every ounce of energy into improving a Hibs side, who to be honest, are pure ***** and horrible to watch.

Great news from Bohs, from a financial point of view of course. It will take a major strain off us over the next 3 or 4 months. Fenlon often frustrated me, he gave us so many great moments, but failure to secure the 3-in-a-row and failure in europe will be amongst my memories of his tenure.

The vast majority of Hibs fans will not be happy with this. Most of them dismiss the LoI, believing it is vastly inferior to the SPL (happily ignoring recent results between SPL and LoI teams and the awful performances of Scottish sides, OF aside, in the last 10 years or so). In their eyes, Fenlon is an unknown quantity, does not know the league, not having played or managed there before. The Hibs boo boys, much like our own equivalent, are not known for their patience and will want instant progress. Despite needing a major overhaul, Hibs under Fenlon will need to show big signs of improvement, so he may not have the luxury of a period of transition.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17224&sid=b018876c459967ce355ac6358d60fced&start=180

I've heard this a few times and i just don't agree with it, i think we're pretty realistic and all we're looking for is signs of progress and recent managers have had us going the other way at the point they have been put under pressure.

Right now we're gash so i don't expect new manager to come in and start playing amazing football winning games 3 or 4 nil regularly, IMO all we're looking for is our team to be competitive and win our fair share of games, i think if he can come in this season and have us competing for top 6 while winning home games against the pish teams we'll be satisfied even if we don't quite make it and then next season i'd expect us to be more comfortable in the top 6 although 3rd or 4th would probably still be ambitious and then the season after that i'd expect us to be more competitive for a european place.

I don't think any of that is too much to ask for a club our size and budget.

ScottB
22-11-2011, 08:42 PM
During this process, a lot of people have asked for someone with experience, someone who has been successful, someone who has won things.

This guy (if it's him) ticks those boxes. He's won titles, he's managed in Europe.

Maybe it being in Ireland underwhelms some people, but let's get serious here, we are never going to get someone in who has managed teams to big trophies, because big trophies are won by clubs higher up the food chain than us, and considering the general (and misplaced) gripe about managers from the lower leagues here, picking up a guy like Fenlon seems the only realistic bet for bringing in a 'winning' manager.

On the other hand, I suspect we could have appointed Sir Alex Ferguson with Pep Guaridola as his Number 2 and some folk would still find a way to complain about it.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Why does it fill you with no confidence?

Do you look past his success in Ireland, more successful than Michael O'Neil and his experience because a put together side came to Easter Road and were bad against us? :confused:

ScottB
22-11-2011, 08:43 PM

That's fair enough, just think judging him on that one game, with a bargain bin squad that had just met is a bit unfair is all :agree:

RickyS
22-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I've heard this a few times and i just don't agree with it, i think we're pretty realistic and all we're looking for is signs of progress and recent managers have had us going the other way at the point they have been put under pressure.

Right now we're gash so i don't expect new manager to come in and start playing amazing football winning games 3 or 4 nil regularly, IMO all we're looking for is our team to be competitive and win our fair share of games, i think if he can come in this season and have us competing for top 6 while winning home games against the pish teams we'll be satisfied even if we don't quite make it and then next season i'd expect us to be more comfortable in the top 6 although 3rd or 4th would probably still be ambitious and then the season after that i'd expect us to be more competitive for a european place.

I don't think any of that is too much to ask for a club our size and budget.

spot on mate, the fans are are given the blame for hounding managers out, we all know the benefits of a longer term appointment
but we still need to show signs that things are moving in right direction. CC deserved the sack no doubt about that. Yogi has said that
he should have had more time but his 2010 record was absolutely shocking. all managers know its a results business

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 08:58 PM
The more I hear about Fenlon, the more I like. These negative posters and the boo boys at ER are not hibs supporters, they are a hindrance and are actually doing the team more harm than good. Fenlon will get my support and best wishes, that's for sure.

Yes we are. We're just negative Hibs supporters.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes we are. We're just negative Hibs supporters.

It's folk who just want the best for the club in my opinion. :aok:

Sammy7nil
22-11-2011, 09:00 PM
The more I read about him the better a prospect he looks :agree:

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 09:01 PM
During this process, a lot of people have asked for someone with experience, someone who has been successful, someone who has won things.

This guy (if it's him) ticks those boxes. He's won titles, he's managed in Europe.

Maybe it being in Ireland underwhelms some people, but let's get serious here, we are never going to get someone in who has managed teams to big trophies, because big trophies are won by clubs higher up the food chain than us, and considering the general (and misplaced) gripe about managers from the lower leagues here, picking up a guy like Fenlon seems the only realistic bet for bringing in a 'winning' manager.

On the other hand, I suspect we could have appointed Sir Alex Ferguson with Pep Guaridola as his Number 2 and some folk would still find a way to complain about it.

A completely ridiculous appointment, and I wouldn't go back until they sorted things out on that nonsense.

Guardiola would surely be number one, with Sharlex upstairs as director of football.

degenerated
22-11-2011, 09:02 PM

you just avoiding reading the ones where they praise him, wish him all the best and dare to suggest he will do a job?

Elephant Stone
22-11-2011, 09:05 PM
you just avoiding reading the ones where they praise him, wish him all the best and dare to suggest he will do a job?

Nope. The earlier posts seemed to be happier than you'd expect to see when a team was losing a good manager, turns out he's on a wage they can't afford and him going was inevitable. The latter posts look really promising from our point of view, they seem to think he's a great manager.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 09:06 PM

The one's I can see that looked pleased also state it will be good to get him off the wage bill.

The majority of there support are realistic enough to know he will probably move on because of the financial constraints within the club, acknowledge the good job he has done with them and wish him all the best. That's good enough for me :aok:

degenerated
22-11-2011, 09:07 PM

have you ever given a positive honest opinion because for the life of me i can't remember it? ever

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 09:11 PM
have you ever given a positive honest opinion because for the life of me i can't remember it? ever

To be honest degenerated, it does look a bit of an underwhelming appointment to the naked eye, but a bit of a background check shows the experience and success he has had in the game and the respect he demands/gets from his players. :aok:

leither17
22-11-2011, 09:11 PM

When things are going good there will be positive comments and for the last 2 years at least when its been going bad it will be negative thats the way i feel anyway

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 09:17 PM
When things are going good there will be positive comments and for the last 2 years at least when its been going bad it will be negative thats the way i feel anyway

Things could be on the way up again with the appointment of a new manager soon, time to get behind the new guy and leave the negativity behind for now :aok:

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 09:32 PM
We've got Paddy Fenlon, they've got sex crime felons, na na na na, na na na na

smurf
22-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Yes I have many times. However, sadly there's not been much to be positive about in the last four years.

If you do empty positivism then jolly good for you.

smurf
22-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Things could be on the way up again with the appointment of a new manager soon, time to get behind the new guy and leave the negativity behind for now :aok:

With respect that's naive in the extreme. Empty positivity that's actually quite dangerous for the new guy whoever he is.

We could appoint Sir Alex Ferguson and it would IMHO be absurd to expect things to be "...on the up soon".

Thinking just CC was the problem is just stupid. As it was with Hughes and indeed with Mixu.

There needs to be fundamental change in a hell of a lot before we see us punching at our weight. We may well see a wee lift from the new appointment but I honestly don't expect to. The facts are we have a very poor side. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous when looking at our home record in the last couple of years for example.

Therefore, unless there was deterioration in results and performances (surely that's not possible!) then I will be backing the guy. I certainly won't be expecting the new guy (regardless to whether I champion his appointment or not) to perform miracles in the short term.

I suspect we will see (if the new guy is the real deal and to succeed) an overhaul of the backroom structure and yet again huge turnover in a squad that is nowhere near good enough.

I may be a negative so and so for not going orgasmic at his possible appointment, but expecting a sudden upturn through the dismissal of one man and the appointment of another, is just rudiculous, and setting dangerous expectations for the new guy IMHO.

Hibby70
22-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I believe he is the "special" one. He'll lead us to the precious.

Mibbes Aye
22-11-2011, 10:02 PM

I know we've disagreed before but I thought you were very creditable re CC :agree:

We've got a club that appears undoubtedly well-resourced - manager's salary, the player budget, the stadium, East Mains - but we've not been able to deliver on the field in the way that we have off the field.

I don't think a 'big' name would guarantee we could fix that. It might, but it's more about personality for me. It could be that Fenlon has that going for him - I don't know, but it needs someone who can recognise the winners in the squad, recognise those who we can turn into winners, and get shot of those who won't be part of that, whoever they are.

It sounds like Fenlon has done that in Ireland - he's found success with the resources available to him. If it's to be him, then let's hope he can do it here too.

Mibbes Aye
22-11-2011, 10:08 PM
And another thing :greengrin

It's been ages since we had a good flag debate on here. They were great. Fifteen pages of fun for all the family :greengrin

Hopefully the appointment of a manager with a 'proper' Hibs name will trigger a resurgence in appropriate memory of our club's roots and spark all sorts of heady and rancorous debate about whether it's acceptable to fly a tricolour at ER etc etc etc :thumbsup:

Thecat23
22-11-2011, 10:17 PM
With respect that's naive in the extreme. Empty positivity that's actually quite dangerous for the new guy whoever he is.

We could appoint Sir Alex Ferguson and it would IMHO be absurd to expect things to be "...on the up soon".

Thinking just CC was the problem is just stupid. As it was with Hughes and indeed with Mixu.

There needs to be fundamental change in a hell of a lot before we see us punching at our weight. We may well see a wee lift from the new appointment but I honestly don't expect to. The facts are we have a very poor side. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous when looking at our home record in the last couple of years for example.

Therefore, unless there was deterioration in results and performances (surely that's not possible!) then I will be backing the guy. I certainly won't be expecting the new guy (regardless to whether I champion his appointment or not) to perform miracles in the short term.

I suspect we will see (if the new guy is the real deal and to succeed) an overhaul of the backroom structure and yet again huge turnover in a squad that is nowhere near good enough.

I may be a negative so and so for not going orgasmic at his possible appointment, but expecting a sudden upturn through the dismissal of one man and the appointment of another, is just rudiculous, and setting dangerous expectations for the new guy IMHO.

:top marksThat is spot on Smurf.

Hibby70
22-11-2011, 10:19 PM
So whose "green and white army" will it be?

Phone 01 for Paddy Fenlon's
02 for Patrick Fenlon's
03 for Nutsy Fenlon's

Calls cost a minimum of 50p and 25p will go to the Tache Majal foundations.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 10:41 PM

I agree with a lot of this Smurph.

It's not "empty" though, this guy has the background and track record to get the best out of players in any situation be in going for the league or in turmoil.

I'm hoping Pat, WHEN appointed will be more of a GJP than a TM to be honest, we need a guy who is his own man, who brings in his own management team to build his own team and I'm hoping, with the background of Fenlon he will be this man and that's why I'm a lot, lot more optimistic with Fenlon than I was with Hughes (dream job) or CC (dummy).

Fenlon, Butcher or Sturrock I would be delighted with. Much rather Fenlon than O'Neil too :aok:

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 10:42 PM

02 for Patrick Fenlon's
03 for Nutsy Fenlon's

Paddy Fenlon's green and white army :not worth

The_Horde
22-11-2011, 10:43 PM

02 for Patrick Fenlon's
03 for Nutsy Fenlon's

wee mad nutsys green and white army!

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I wasn't convinced but I'm doing a shameless u-turn and backing PF all the way, if he shows real commitment to the task. Calderwood forfeited that right with his summer shenanigans. We need a to give a committed man with a track record some time to revamp the side. From what I can gather Fenlon will weed out the wasters and build a strong team spirit. He'll be working with better facilities and better, if not more committed, players. (Whatever our Boh's and Rovers chums say about the SPL, and it is ******, but there is simply no way that the likes of even Pallson, Osbourne and Thornhill, who have hardly set the heather on fire here, would be seen dead in the LOI.) So it is a step up. But we need a hungry man who wants to work this job, and in Fenlon, I think we have exactly that.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I wasn't convinced but I'm doing a shameless u-turn and backing PF all the way, if he shows real commitment to the task. Calderwood forfeited that right with his summer shenanigans. We need a to give a committed man with a track record some time to revamp the side. From what I can gather Fenlon will weed out the wasters and build a strong team spirit. He'll be working with better facilities and better, if not more committed, players. (Whatever our Boh's and Rovers chums say about the SPL, and it is ******, but there is simply no way that the likes of even Pallson, Osbourne and Thornhill, who have hardly set the heather on fire here, would be seen dead in the LOI.) So it is a step up. But we need a hungry man who wants to work this job, and in Fenlon, I think we have exactly that.

Exactly, and if the Bohs forum is to believed he will give 100% to the job, be in around the club all the time, not pissing off down to see his family (who I would imagine come with him) all the time and will work tirelessly to make this job a complete success.

I'm same as you, I though underwhelmed but looking into his background and his history as well as the views of his current side I'm excited about what he can bring to the club.

One things for sure though, he has to be allowed to manage the club his way. Not Petrie's or anyone else's.

Bohstron
22-11-2011, 11:05 PM
so if the reports are to be believed it looks like you have gone for "Nutsy", a superb appointment for you and fear not he wont let you down, the man is a winner in everything he does.

If he gives you half the memories as Hibs gaffer as he has given us a Bohs fans it will be a job well done.

Credit to your Board for "thinking outside the box" (i hate that expression but its actually true in this case) and going with Nutsy, he's unknown in Scottish Football but give him 6 months or a year and you'll be wondering where he's been all you're life!! (not in a gay way of course)

go to 2.20 in this vid just to get an idea how much we idolised the man....good luck we'll be following the fortunes of Hibs under Pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ytMxWvG1w&feature=autoplay&list=PL628EA7 DFFE712494&lf=results_video&playnext=3

NOLA
22-11-2011, 11:10 PM
just read this from there forum and had to post, made me laugh :wink:
Looking critically at his record I don't think his greatest asset is his tactical knowledge. He has had an average record in Europe and in the big games at home his record against the other top managers, mon and Stephen Kenny hasn't been great. This may explain why he has only won one FAI cup despite having had so many league winning squads.

Kammy1875
22-11-2011, 11:10 PM
so if the reports are to be believed it looks like you have gone for "Nutsy", a superb appointment for you and fear not he wont let you down, the man is a winner in everything he does.

If he gives you half the memories as Hibs gaffer as he has given us a Bohs fans it will be a job well done.

Credit to your Board for "thinking outside the box" (i hate that expression but its actually true in this case) and going with Nutsy, he's unknown in Scottish Football but give him 6 months or a year and you'll be wondering where he's been all you're life!! (not in a gay way of course)

go to 2.20 in this vid just to get an idea how much we idolised the man....good luck we'll be following the fortunes of Hibs under Pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ytMxWvG1w&feature=autoplay&list=PL628EA7 DFFE712494&lf=results_video&playnext=3

I like you guys, best of luck with whoever you get in to replace Fenlon. :hibees

Dashing Bob S
22-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Great stuff. Where does the nickname 'Nutsy' come from?

degenerated
22-11-2011, 11:24 PM

i'm sure i read that as a player he had a penchant for nutmegging opponents, whether its true or not i have no idea

SteveHFC
22-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I think that if Nutsy settles well over there, then Hibs will be on the up. I think he's a great manager. He is also well in the know of good decent players and will have a budget of sorts.

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17224&sid=d54ee3620d0897cc20c17af19d7cdfe9&start=180

I have a feeling that he could be a great manager for us :thumbsup:

Bohstron
22-11-2011, 11:28 PM

When he played at Schoolboy level it seems he was an expert at "Nutmegging" his oppenents, not sure if it will follow him to Scotland it might be just a Dublin thing, I'm sure he'll be just "Wee Pat" for a while with him being so vertically challenged :wink:

Northernhibee
22-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I think he is the best of every single world. He's away to take a step up and so will bring enthusiasm and new ideas to the table. He is experienced, he has a proven track record, he knows how to win, he will take no ****, he will look to get a real team spirit going and he looks to have the full backing of the Bohs fans.

I think we've gotten the best candidate here.

Nutsy Fenlon's Green and White Army!

Dashing Bob S
23-11-2011, 12:03 AM
When he played at Schoolboy level it seems he was an expert at "Nutmegging" his oppenents, not sure if it will follow him to Scotland it might be just a Dublin thing, I'm sure he'll be just "Wee Pat" for a while with him being so vertically challenged :wink:

How vertically challenged are we talking here? Just a bit short-arsed, or worried-if-he's-left-outside-a-school-in-Gorgie-short?

Bohstron
23-11-2011, 12:16 AM
How vertically challenged are we talking here? Just a bit short-arsed, or worried-if-he's-left-outside-a-school-in-Gorgie-short?

yeah just a bit short-arsed, probably the main reason he didnt make it when he went to Chelsea, he was a lovely player in his day, never could figure out how he never made the grade in England, so always guessed his height had something to do with it?

Northernhibee
23-11-2011, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrJeSJYnXqI

I've been watching post match interviews from both victories and defeats, very impressed with how frank he is. Clearly more switched on than CC, I think he's what we need.

Bohs are a good side, this won't be as big a step up as some on here are predicting. I can see him being great for the likes of Booth, Spoony, Palsson, Hanlon. It'll be interesting to see who he has as captain.

The_Horde
23-11-2011, 12:38 AM
yeah just a bit short-arsed, probably the main reason he didnt make it when he went to Chelsea, he was a lovely player in his day, never could figure out how he never made the grade in England, so always guessed his height had something to do with it?

What kind of football do his teams play? Is he a build it from the back sort of guy or does he prefer a more direct, quick counter attacking style?

Been trying to work it out from the highlights but all I've taken from them really is that a lot of Bohs goals come from set plays and crosses into the box.

Hibs fans don't tolerate 'hoofball'. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
23-11-2011, 05:06 AM

Oh, oh! I'm sensing another u-turn Sir Bob!

Beefster
23-11-2011, 06:53 AM
From today's Scotsman:

"But it is understood that, by last night, there had still been no follow-up contact between the Irishman and the Easter Road club following their talks last week"

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/caretaker_brown_hints_at_new_hibs_manager_this_wee k_1_1979746

down the slope
23-11-2011, 07:20 AM
From today's Scotsman:

"But it is understood that, by last night, there had still been no follow-up contact between the Irishman and the Easter Road club following their talks last week"

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/caretaker_brown_hints_at_new_hibs_manager_this_wee k_1_1979746

That means it's a certainty to happen then !, The Scotsman-the paper that tells you nowt in a thousand words.

GreenCastle
23-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Speaking with a friend who is very knowledgeable and follows Irish football he says Fenlon would do a great job-bit of a crazy character but would bring leadership and knows how to get the best of players-something Mowbray did.Wasn't crazy about him when I heard the name but trust my friend and would happily back him if giving a chance at ER

Beefster
23-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Anyone any idea what time today that this is being announced?

J-C
23-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Anyone any idea what time today that this is being announced?

Still all speculation, looking more likely though.

KeithTheHibby
23-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Dearie me. Let's not get too sniffy about other leagues given the state of the SPL right now. Even if it is a lower standard isn't achieving success there the ideal apprenticeship before moving up a level?

Well based on that would be accept a manager who previously had only managed in the Scottish first or second division?

Hardly exciting stuff is it.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 09:47 AM
It will be Pat Fenlon. Will be announced tomorrow or Weds :aok:

Someone who advised me to stick as much as I have on this appointment this evening who I trust when it comes to Irish betting and now Paddy Power and Stan James have closed the books :wink:

No idea on that flash, no inside info or whatever. Good appointment though if it's true.

Still all speculation, looking more likely though.

I'm confused. Kammy1875 seemed to be claiming it as fact (although later adding 'if true').

Posh Swanny
23-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Well based on that would be accept a manager who previously had only managed in the Scottish first or second division?

That's pretty much how the fans at Burnley felt approximately 21 months before they beat Man Utd at home in the Premier League.

And its pretty much the opposite of how the fans at Bristl City felt when Steve Coppell came in and made David James his first signing.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 09:52 AM
That's pretty much how the fans at Burnley felt approximately 21 months before they beat Man Utd at home in the Premier League.

And its pretty much the opposite of how the fans at Bristl City felt when Steve Coppell came in and made David James his first signing.

You can find countless examples of fans liking an appointment and it going tits up, fans hating an appointment and it going great, fans liking an appointment and it going great and fans hating an appointment and it going tits up. All it proves is that appointing a manager is not an exact science.

Clubs should be able to get one right every so often though.

Andy74
23-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Hearts took Craig Levein from Cowdenbeath and he was pretty decent.

I'd certainly accept a guy from the lower leagues particuallry if he'd won 7 or 8 trophies in 10 years.

Don Giovanni
23-11-2011, 10:03 AM
That's pretty much how the fans at Burnley felt approximately 21 months before they beat Man Utd at home in the Premier League.And its pretty much the opposite of how the fans at Bristl City felt when Steve Coppell came in and made David James his first signing. Sorry, Posh Swanny but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make? Are both clubs not struggling in the Championship at present?

BarneyK
23-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Posh Swanny but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make? Are both clubs not struggling in the Championship at present?

He's referring to Owen Coyle, and how the Burnley fans may have been underwhelmed by his appointment at the time. Coyle was away to Bolton before they were relegated again.

Russ
23-11-2011, 10:27 AM

You have a selective memory, Mixu could well have been that man had he been given time, but you and your cronies demanded he be emptied, indeed threatening to not go back til he was. Now you say the backroom staff and squad have to be overhaued again?, the mind gobbles as to what goes on between your ears.

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 10:31 AM
A few tweets saying that Pat Fenlon to be announced as Hibs manager today at 2pm.

Phil MaGlass
23-11-2011, 10:31 AM
If it is Fenlon, will he stick with BB as coach? Hope so bags of experience.

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Fenlon's Bohemians Record: 141 league games,Won:87, Draw:28, Lost:26.

I'll take that in a nanosecond.

If he can repeat anything like that with Hibs he'll be the new mesiah. :not worth

c31
23-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Fenlon's Bohemians Record: 141 league games,Won:87, Draw:28, Lost:26.

I'll take that in a nanosecond.

If he can repeat anything like that with Hibs he'll be the new mesiah. :not worth

If he can repeat that with Hibs then I bet that manky mob from glasgow will be along to try and steal him as they have done for years

haagsehibby
23-11-2011, 10:42 AM
If he can repeat that with Hibs then I bet that manky mob from glasgow will be along to try and steal him as they have done for years

It would make a change to lose a manager because he is winning games rather than the other way around.

7Hero
23-11-2011, 10:47 AM
i have a mole, he is never wrong with these things has just emailed me to say fenlon has the job..

and will be announced at 2pm indeed..

welcome pat !

frazeHFC
23-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Definately going to McDermaid Park now. Hopefully a good support. 'Paddy Fenlons Green and White Army!' :thumbsup:

That is if it is all true. :greengrin

YehButNoBut
23-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Fenlon still 1/3 with Skybet, is this buying money?? :confused:

Bayern Bru
23-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Hibs media manager confirming there's no media conference set for 2pm today.

Might Fenlon yet turn out to be the new Steve Clarke?

Posh Swanny
23-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry, Posh Swanny but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make? Are both clubs not struggling in the Championship at present?

The first post below was the direct point. The second one was the general point - i.e. the fans being excited or otherwise at the appointment of a new manager is about as good a barometer of potential success as whether or not the appointment was made on a Tuesday or a Thursday. Even pressure placed on them by an over enthusiastic feel good factor or overly negative doom-mongering has little effect. Managerial success is very much hit & miss and as Beefster points out - the Hibs board have been so far out on the last three occasions that they're surely due to hit the bullseye! :wink:

He's referring to Owen Coyle, and how the Burnley fans may have been underwhelmed by his appointment at the time. Coyle was away to Bolton before they were relegated again.

You can find countless examples of fans liking an appointment and it going tits up, fans hating an appointment and it going great, fans liking an appointment and it going great and fans hating an appointment and it going tits up. All it proves is that appointing a manager is not an exact science.

Clubs should be able to get one right every so often though.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 11:19 AM
i have a mole, he is never wrong with these things has just emailed me to say fenlon has the job..

welcome pat !

First time for everything.

Paisley Hibby
23-11-2011, 11:20 AM

If that's the case then I hope that who we do end up appointing does not turn out to be the new Colin Calderwood!

Shaggy
23-11-2011, 11:39 AM
.......... did anybody seriously know much about Mobry when he was announced ??

Welcome Pat, now get tae fking work !!

smurf
23-11-2011, 11:41 AM
You have a selective memory, Mixu could well have been that man had he been given time, but you and your cronies demanded he be emptied, indeed threatening to not go back til he was. Now you say the backroom staff and squad have to be overhaued again?, the mind gobbles as to what goes on between your ears.

IIRC polls on here had it at around 90% wanting Mixu out.

SteveHFC
23-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Hibernian have offered a three-and-a-half-year contract to lure Bohemians' Pat Fenlon to the manager's chair at Easter Road. (Daily Express)

WeAreHibs
23-11-2011, 11:51 AM

welcome pat !

I've heard this also, oh wait, it was you that told me. We're both snookered. :wink:

M'Well 4 !!!!!!!!!

Judas Iscariot
23-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Hibernian have offered a three-and-a-half-year contract to lure Bohemians' Pat Fenlon to the manager's chair at Easter Road. (Daily Express)

They should try some real reporting instead of lifting stuff from here :cb

cabbageandribs1875
23-11-2011, 11:54 AM

boggles ?:confused:

ScottB
23-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I'd have thought if there was a press conference in less than an hour, it'd be being reported...

Hibby D
23-11-2011, 12:09 PM

That'll do me P (:greengrin)

NeilOrrSquareBa
23-11-2011, 12:11 PM
I'd have thought if there was a press conference in less than an hour, it'd be being reported...

To be fair the poster didn't suggest a Press Conference. Could be Hibs will post news on their website then announce Press Conference to introduce the new man or woman!

andrew70
23-11-2011, 12:13 PM

No need for a press conference today. There will be an announcement made, by all accounts, with regards to Fenlon being made Hibernian Manager.

I'd assume he'll be officially unveiled at the normal pre match press conference tomorrow.

Nailrod
23-11-2011, 12:15 PM
And remember that a new Manager needs at least 3 years to implement his master strategy for the Club...

Fortunately the last three were fired before they'd even got us as far as the First Division. :agree:

NOLA
23-11-2011, 12:26 PM
No need for a press conference today. There will be an announcement made, by all accounts, with regards to Fenlon being made Hibernian Manager.

I'd assume he'll be officially unveiled at the normal pre match press conference tomorrow.

i'd think so too as this weeks thursday press conference still hasnt been confirmed to the media.

Don Giovanni
23-11-2011, 12:38 PM
He's referring to Owen Coyle, and how the Burnley fans may have been underwhelmed by his appointment at the time. Coyle was away to Bolton before they were relegated again. Yes, but as Beefster also pointed out whether supporters praise or decry the appointment of managers makes little difference to on-field success. In the example quoted by Posh Swanny both clubs are now in a similar position at the wrong end of the Championship so I don't see the significance. (FWIW I don't think Coyle would have kept Burnley up either).

Don Giovanni
23-11-2011, 12:47 PM
The first post below was the direct point. The second one was the general point - i.e. the fans being excited or otherwise at the appointment of a new manager is about as good a barometer of potential success as whether or not the appointment was made on a Tuesday or a Thursday. Even pressure placed on them by an over enthusiastic feel good factor or overly negative doom-mongering has little effect. Managerial success is very much hit & miss and as Beefster points out - the Hibs board have been so far out on the last three occasions that they're surely due to hit the bullseye! :wink: :agree: about time they got an appointment right. Although I'm not sure the law of averages is an adequate recruitment tool!

BarneyK
23-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Yes, but as Beefster also pointed out whether supporters praise or decry the appointment of managers makes little difference to on-field success. In the example quoted by Posh Swanny both clubs are now in a similar position at the wrong end of the Championship so I don't see the significance. (FWIW I don't think Coyle would have kept Burnley up either).

Yeah, but in the case of Coyle, whilst perhaps underwhelming to them at the time, he got them promoted to the Premiership. On the other hand, Bristol City fans would have been chuffed to land Steve Coppell, only to see it go sour very quickly. I think regardless of whether Coyle would have kept Burnley up or not, he would have been seen as a success for them.

Nailrod
23-11-2011, 12:51 PM
:agree: about time they got an appointment right. Although I'm not sure the law of averages is an adequate recruitment tool!

I don't know. I'm very much hoping that the new appointment has been made by the lady Director throwing darts at a board while wearing a blindfold. Much improved chances of success, I would think... :agree:

Speedway
23-11-2011, 12:59 PM

02 for Patrick Fenlon's
03 for Nutsy Fenlon's

:top marks

--------
23-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Do we actually KNOW anything, or is this just he-said/she-said/a-wee-birdy-told-me stuff?

Heck of a let-down if it doesn't happen now....

Speedway
23-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Well, it's 2pm and according to the fishy, it's McDonaugh.

one day maybe...
23-11-2011, 01:02 PM
If Fenlon is the man being appointed then he has to be left to get on with the job. Encouragement is what is needed, neither booing or berating the players will do anyone any good, least of all players lacking in confidence. Let the guy sort it out, stand up at the games, be counted and known as a supporter of Hibernian. Sometimes the ride is as flat as the coke in a month old opened bottle, but you never know with the Hibs, the fizz may just be round the corner.
So whether its Fenlon or someone else, lets back them.
We are Hibernian.

mickki40
23-11-2011, 01:13 PM
If Fenlon is the man being appointed then he has to be left to get on with the job. Encouragement is what is needed, neither booing or berating the players will do anyone any good, least of all players lacking in confidence. Let the guy sort it out, stand up at the games, be counted and known as a supporter of Hibernian. Sometimes the ride is as flat as the coke in a month old opened bottle, but you never know with the Hibs, the fizz may just be round the corner.
So whether its Fenlon or someone else, lets back them.
We are Hibernian.

Damn right. Back him to the hilt.

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 01:20 PM

welcome pat !

Unless my watch is broken, I make it twenty past now :greengrin

Northernhibee
23-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Damn right. Back him to the hilt.I think Fenlon will be class anyway, you can see he commands respect amongst the Bohs fans.

scott7_0(Prague)
23-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Tick Tock.... :na na:

http://18sonsu.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/tick-tock-clock.jpg

ScottB
23-11-2011, 01:26 PM
It was never going to be 2pm, Petrie will wait till after half 6 to ensure free parking :greengrin

Speedway
23-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Has a Hibs manager ever been announced via the Website first with press conf to follow?

Leithenhibby
23-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, it's no Danny :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15853673.stm

scott7_0(Prague)
23-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, it's no Danny :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15853673.stm

We know - http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?221375-Danny-Lennon-agrees-deal-with-St-Mirren

Leithenhibby
23-11-2011, 01:32 PM
We know - http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?221375-Danny-Lennon-agrees-deal-with-St-Mirren

You may but no everybody does :greengrin But they do now :na na:

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Has a Hibs manager ever been announced via the Website first with press conf to follow?

I think CC was.

It jogs my memory about Mowbray's appointment though, I got a text from an in the know person to tell me it was him about five minutes before he was unveiled at a press conference. No-one had any clue it was going to be him, and even the media bods were scratching their heads wondering how they hadn't heard about it.

Speedway
23-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I think CC was.

It jogs my memory about Mowbray's appointment though, I got a text from an in the know person to tell me it was him about five minutes before he was unveiled at a press conference. No-one had any clue it was going to be him, and even the media bods were scratching their heads wondering how they hadn't heard about it.

That was a gone 5pm press conference wasn't it? Don't remember the fishy telling us ahead of time.

You might want to text mr in the know just now.

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 01:51 PM
You might want to text mr in the know just now.

It was via a journo who was sat at ER waiting for the press conference to start. Apparently there was much dropping of jaws from them all when they realised who it was :greengrin

It just goes to show, they've been able to keep it quiet before so they may be able to do it again this time.

Beefster
23-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Has the Hibs website ever announced anything sooner than two days after everybody knew anyway?

PatHead
23-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Must admit the longer this is going on the more I wonder if it will be Fenlon. He saw his own board a week ago, so if he was such a "shoe in" what is the delay unless the board are still considering other candidates?

Jones28
23-11-2011, 02:03 PM
An explanation from those "in the know" as to why he hasn't been announced yet?

Really pisses me off when people post stuff claiming to have inside knowledge or whatever :boo hoo:

Elephant Stone
23-11-2011, 02:04 PM
An explanation from those "in the know" as to why he hasn't been announced yet?

Really pisses me off when people post stuff claiming to have inside knowledge or whatever :boo hoo:

Me too. The 2pm brigade should be making a humble apology.:grr:

Speedway
23-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Must admit the longer this is going on the more I wonder if it will be Fenlon. He saw his own board a week ago, so if he was such a "shoe in" what is the delay unless the board are still considering other candidates?

:agree: There was some talk about his missus not wanting to move to Edinburgh and that's the only thing I can think of.

Jones28
23-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Me too. The 2pm brigade should be making a humble apology.:grr:

:agree:

And a sympathy card to my dead dreams of having a manager called Nutsy :violin::greengrin

--------
23-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Likesay - is this thread based on anything solid, or is it just a "he-said-she-said-let's-just-make-it-up-as-we-go-along" affair? :bitchy:

ScottB
23-11-2011, 02:09 PM
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/hibs-continue-their-search-as-oneill-rules-out-move-to-scotland-286552-Nov2011/?utm_source=shortlink

I (http://thescore.thejournal.ie/hibs-continue-their-search-as-oneill-rules-out-move-to-scotland-286552-Nov2011/?utm_source=shortlink)nteresting, if that is an actual quote from the club, nothing coming today folks...

Geo_1875
23-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Apparently Fenlon changed his mind when Rod said " No Pat, you get that every year, not every month....".

smurf
23-11-2011, 02:26 PM
If there is hesitation for family reasons then the board will surely steer well clear following the debacle of CC?

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I said all along I wasn't in the know. I was told Fenlon will be the new manager of Hibernian and I still believe this to be the case.

I'm willing to bet anyone, right this minute £100 that Pat Fenlon will be the next manager of Hibernian. I know now more than I have in the last few days this to be the case. Job was offered, job has been accepted. :aok:

People on here just can't wait to shoot people down with any info, it's pathetic. It must stop people posting what they have heard all the time when other fans like to hear.

Bohemian_Hibee
23-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Hearing 2 of the 7 directors are not too keen on Fenlon and that's why things are dragging along.

12 Angry Men comes to mind :greengrin

For the record, Fenlon (and Bohs) are happy for things to progress.

Elephant Stone
23-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I said all along I wasn't in the know. I was told Fenlon will be the new manager of Hibernian and I still believe this to be the case.

I'm willing to bet anyone, right this minute £100 that Pat Fenlon will be the next manager of Hibernian. I know now more than I have in the last few days this to be the case. Job was offered, job has been accepted. :aok:

People on here just can't wait to shoot people down with any info, it's pathetic. It must stop people posting what they have heard all the time when other fans like to hear.

"Don't say I didn't tell you's. This is stick on now." :hmmm:

JimBHibees
23-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Hearing 2 of the 7 directors are not too keen on Fenlon and that's why things are dragging along.

I would be amazed if that sort of information went outwith the Boardroom walls. If someone is saying that maybe an excuse for something not happening is being made up.

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 03:41 PM
"Don't say I didn't tell you's. This is stick on now." :hmmm:

It is a stick on certainty, it doesn't mean I'm in the know though. I have information that leads me believe it's a certainty, to the tune of £100 to any poster who wants to be smart arsey that Fenlon has been offered and accepted the Hibernian position.

Fenlon is now 1/8 on and all other betting has closed on it from Sky Bet being 1/3 this morning.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/hibernian-specials/next-permanent-manager

Elephant Stone
23-11-2011, 03:45 PM
It is a stick on certainty, it doesn't mean I'm in the know though. I have information that leads me believe it's a certainty, to the tune of £100 to any poster who wants to be smart arsey that Fenlon has been offered and accepted the Hibernian position.

How can you say it's a certainty if you're not "in the know"? Not tying to be arsey, as you say, just wouldn't want to see any of the "in the know" folk wriggling free if this doesn't come to fruition. :greengrin

Beefster
23-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Whether you've done it or not is irrelevant but what's pathetic is the amount of attention-seekers who come on here posting stuff that they've heard in the pub or by text (which we all do at one point or another) but posting it as fact.

There are posters on here whose information doesn't get questioned because they have proven that they can be relied upon and they post speculation as just that so folk don't just get shot down as a matter of course.

Other than that, dry your eyes and man up. The Internet can sometimes be a wee bit harsh.

stubru59
23-11-2011, 03:58 PM
How can you say it's a certainty if you're not "in the know"? Not tying to be arsey, as you say, just wouldn't want to see any of the "in the know" folk wriggling free if this doesn't come to fruition. :greengrin

He's willing to wager £100 on the back of hearsay. That's not certainty, that's placing a bet on a horse that's not yet turned up.

Sammy7nil
23-11-2011, 04:07 PM
He's willing to wager £100 on the back of hearsay. That's not certainty, that's placing a bet on a horse that's not yet turned up.

I think you will find he is trying to bet a 1/8 chance at Evens
I am even less in the know than he is but if any wants to lay me evens about any 1/8 shots please PM me :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Whether you've done it or not is irrelevant but what's pathetic is the amount of attention-seekers who come on here posting stuff that they've heard in the pub or by text (which we all do at one point or another) but posting it as fact.

There are posters on here whose information doesn't get questioned because they have proven that they can be relied upon and they post speculation as just that so folk don't just get shot down as a matter of course.

Other than that, dry your eyes and man up. The Internet can sometimes be a wee bit harsh.

I'm not the one almost greetin' about people claiming to know stuff then it turns out false.

Posting info is a thankless task with idiots almost waiting to shoot you down, fortunately I'm posting what info I have for other hibees that may appreciate it and that info is Fenlon will be appointed the new manager of our club.

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Breaking news in Ireland Bohs have confirmed we were given permission to speak to Fenlon.

PaulSmith
23-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Bohemians confirm Hibs approach for Fenlon.

He is our new manager in waiting

RickyS
23-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Breaking news in Ireland Bohs have confirmed we were given permission to speak to Fenlon.

where did u see it mate?

Engels74

:agree:

http://www.bohemians.ie/news/4-club-news/1443-bohemians-statement-on-pat-fenlon.html

ozzie

surely we would ask for permission to speak to all candidates we interview :wink:

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:23 PM
where did u see it mate?

Got a text mate sorry, at work so can't do much a search.

Aldo
23-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not the one almost greetin' about people claiming to know stuff then it turns out false.

Posting info is a thankless task with idiots almost waiting to shoot you down, fortunately I'm posting what info I have for other hibees that may appreciate it and that info is Fenlon will be appointed the new manager of our club.

Kammy idiots indeed. Welcome to the Hibs.net main message board. Don't let it deter you from posting mate it happens to us all. Just don't take it personal.

Tin hat at the ready and all that.

:D

PaulSmith
23-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Who Tweets as Sect43 on here?

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:25 PM
surely we would ask for permission to speak to all candidates we interview :wink:

Do you think it's a complete coincidence that since Monday when I posted the betting has stopped and now an approach has been made official?

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Kammy idiots indeed. Welcome to the Hibs.net main message board. Don't let it deter you from posting mate it happens to us all. Just don't take it personal.

Tin hat at the ready and all that.

:D

Cheers man, I don't think I'll have many more info on club stuff in the time I post here, just complete coincidence to be honest.

ozzie
23-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Do you think it's a complete coincidence that since Monday when I posted the betting has stopped and now an approach has been made official?

sorry that was not ment as i dig at you rather a dig at the under handed way management positions have been handled by other (mainly glasgow) clubs. a touch of sarcasim thats why i included the wink.

EasterRoad4Ever
23-11-2011, 04:34 PM

:agree:A curious statement. Maybe at the interview, he did all the talking, so technically Hibs weren't speaking to him :wink:. Then again, going by previous incumbents' records there has been very little communication (or understanding) before appointment.

Golden Bear
23-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Beeb radio just reporting that Hibs have approached Bohemians for further talks with Fenlon.

HibbyAndy
23-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Hibs have been giving permission from Bohms to speak to Fenlon.

keep the faith
23-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Beeb radio just reporting that Hibs have approached Bohemians for further talks with Fenlon.

The "further" bit seems to be the significant word.

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:42 PM
sorry that was not ment as i dig at you rather a dig at the under handed way management positions have been handled by other (mainly glasgow) clubs. a touch of sarcasim thats why i included the wink.

I would guess and yes that's a guess that Fenlon will go with the blessing of Bohs and had let him speak with us before hand, the official approach will be down to compo etc when the deal is confirmed.

R'Albin
23-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Looking like it's him then? Would rather it have been Billy Davies or Michael O'Neill but oh well.. Hope this one goes better anyway :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I think you will find he is trying to bet a 1/8 chance at Evens I am even less in the know than he is but if any wants to lay me evens about any 1/8 shots please PM me :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin That crossed my mind too!

Golden Bear
23-11-2011, 04:49 PM
The "further" bit seems to be the significant word.

Ah well now --------- it was a three second "breaking news" job and it caught me on the hop but I THINK that's what was said.

Kammy1875
23-11-2011, 04:54 PM
That crossed my mind too!

That's all well and good if I didn't post my info when he was 4/5.

Anyway I'm out, welcome to the football club Pat. All the luck in the world.

pogo
23-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I just got a text from my son saying it was on TV3 news over here that we had permission to speak to Fenlon, and that there would be no fee involved if he went to Hibs.

I'm watching RTE news just now to see if there is anything else on this.

SteveHFC
23-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Good Luck to Him

Pat Fenlon's Green & White Army!

Hibbyradge
23-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Paddy Fenlon's green and white army. :wink:

Gatecrasher
23-11-2011, 05:27 PM
wonder if he will be in for the St Johnstone game if terms are agreed, I think the appointment (if it becomes a reality) sounds like a promising one :agree:

pogo
Confirmation from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1123/fenlonp.html

Elephant Stone
Speaking to ExtraTime.ie (http://www.extratime.ie/) just before the statement was released Fenlon said:

“ I have not spoken to them (Hibernian) yet. It’s between the two clubs.

“To be honest I don’t know what is going to happen just yet, I think we will have a better idea in the morning.”

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/7097/hibs-swoop-for-fenlon

ScottB
23-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Sounds like if he is appointed he will probably be in the stands at the weekend, rather than the dugout.

CraigHibee
23-11-2011, 05:37 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/281834-bohemians-give-hibs-permission-to-talk-to-pat-fenlon/

looks like it could be him then

WhileTheChief..
23-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Ah well now --------- it was a three second "breaking news" job and it caught me on the hop but I THINK that's what was said.

Sounds like HIbs and Bohs have had talks and it's only now that Hibs will speak with Fenlon. Richard Gordon saying that Hibs were after another SPL manager but not sure who (ruled out Danny Lennon), Craig Brown perhaps??

Posh Swanny
23-11-2011, 06:07 PM
It is a stick on certainty, it doesn't mean I'm in the know though. I have information that leads me believe it's a certainty

I'm just intrigued to find out what your definition of "in the know" is!!

Mikey
23-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Sounds like HIbs and Bohs have had talks and it's only now that Hibs will speak with Fenlon. Richard Gordon saying that Hibs were after another SPL manager but not sure who (ruled out Danny Lennon), Craig Brown perhaps??

Lennon signed a 2 year contract extension today. Perhaps interest from Hibs brought that on.

Mikey
23-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm just intrigued to find out what your definition of "in the know" is!!

Folk who ken whit's gawn on :cb

Barney McGrew
23-11-2011, 06:10 PM

It would either have been Lennon or Butcher. The fact that Lennon signed a new contract with St Midden today and we then approach Bohemians for Fenlon suggests it may have been him.

Spike Mandela
23-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Stuart McCall more likely.

Westie1875
23-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Stuart McCall more likely.

Got to be :agree:

snooky
23-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Folk who ken whit's gawn on :cb
:greengrin:

Speedway
23-11-2011, 08:33 PM

7 eh?

Petrie
Hyland
Lindsay
Langham
Jones
O'Hagan
Marwick

Do Marwick and Jones even get a say?

Sounds like if he is appointed he will probably be in the stands at the weekend, rather than the dugout.

Don't think so, clubs approach other clubs 'officially' when:

1. They've decided who they want and

2. The package on offer has been accepted by the agent of the wanted person.

Hibs approaching Bohs officially and it being publicised will probably mean that we're down to formalities now. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see his mug at ER tomorrow.

The Green Goblin
23-11-2011, 09:19 PM
The post match interview that was posted on page 3 or 4 was impressive: honest, talks straight, coherent, fielded some pretty blunt questions skillfully, not afraid to drop underperforming players and stand by his decision, looks like he doesn't suffer fools gladly (bad news for some of our players then) and I can imagine him being pretty scary when he's angry.

GG

Eyrie
23-11-2011, 09:37 PM
The post match interview that was posted on page 3 or 4 was impressive: honest, talks straight, coherent, fielded some pretty blunt questions skillfully, not afraid to drop underperforming players and stand by his decision, looks like he doesn't suffer fools gladly (bad news for some of our players then) and I can imagine him being pretty scary when he's angry.

Pretty much the anti-Calderwood then :aok:

James70
23-11-2011, 09:50 PM
If Fenlon does get the job I can see it panning out in one of two ways.

a) He will be just as bad as the previous incumbents and will be heading back to Ireland before next year's AGM.

b) He will be so impressive that with his Irish background he will be installed as the next Celtic manager after they finally get rid of Lennon.

Still, I suppose that's football for you. :greengrin

Podge
23-11-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW16BnpbAkc

capitals_finest
23-11-2011, 10:32 PM

You gotta love the irish. :greengrin

Topographic Hibby
23-11-2011, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW16BnpbAkcDid Ally McLeod not do that once for us? Score a free kick & a re-take, that is.....

TH

basehibby
24-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Did Ally McLeod not do that once for us? Score a free kick & a re-take, that is.....

TH

I believe he did - vs the huns at ER - I wasn't there but it's the stuff of legend!

I'm sure Boh's fans must feel the same about Felon's goal there - he fairly got clattered there by that keeper with the porno moustache but he made him pay for it - twice! :gun::cb

sadtom
24-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Did Ally McLeod not do that once for us? Score a free kick & a re-take, that is.....

TH

He did. I remember being there and seeing it but cant remember who it was against. Don't think it wiz the huns though. Morton or st johnstone, summat like that.

Peevemor
24-11-2011, 05:41 AM
He did. I remember being there and seeing it but cant remember who it was against. Don't think it wiz the huns though. Morton or st johnstone, summat like that.

Dundee.

Barney McGrew
24-11-2011, 05:56 AM

That was never a free kick in the first place, diving bassa :greengrin

LEaston87
24-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Is that not Corrie's Jim MacDonald in goals

Gatecrasher
24-11-2011, 07:55 AM
A newly-formed fans' protest group has urged Hibernian to recruit Michael O'Neill as their next manager rather than fellow League of Ireland boss Pat Fenlon. 'Hibsforchange' On Fenlon, 'Hibsforchange' organiser Keith Sands said: "He is currently the second best manager in the Irish league, which is the equivalent of the Scottish First Division. Surely if the board are looking to the Irish league for our new manager they would go for Michael O'Neill, who is currently and, for the last two years, has been the best manager in Ireland." Sands added: "He also knows the Scottish game, and our famous club, having played here." Around a dozen members of the group gathered outside Easter Road last week ahead of the club's AGM to protest against the Hibs board and chairman Rod Petrie. Sands added: "We would, as Hibs fans, all be behind Pat Fenlon, Michael O'Neill or whoever the board choose. "But just remember this - [owner] Tom Farmer put his neck on the line and publicly backed Rod Petrie, who in turn backed Scott Lindsay [executive director] and Fife Hyland [managing director]. "If this next appointment goes wrong, and as a Hibs fan, like all Hibs fans, I sincerely hope it doesn't, then all I can say to the board is 'You can run but you can't hide.'"

This was posted by "hibsforchange" on the Scotsman comments section, :rolleyes:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/fenlon_in_line_to_take_over_at_hibs_as_bohemians_a pprove_approach_1_1981678

The article states Hibs have a pre math press conference today but no note of who is taking it :wink:

Andy74
24-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Intersting step if it happens in appointing a foreign manager with no previous link to the club or SPL. Have we done that before? Mixu and Franck were foreign but played with us.