PDA

View Full Version : A bit of realism?

Ferryhibby
21-11-2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/opinion/analysis/anthony_brown_time_to_let_go_of_mogga_years_1_1977 318

Article in todays evening news, kinda agree with a lot of it

Sas_The_Hibby
21-11-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/opinion/analysis/anthony_brown_time_to_let_go_of_mogga_years_1_1977 318

Article in todays evening news, kinda agree with a lot of it

Kinda disagree with most of it actually.

Whilst this isn't the first time we've been in a dire situation, and we have no right to expect scintillating devastating football every week, we do have the right to ask why a club, probably the fourth best resourced in Scotland, regularly manages to finish so far down the table, whilst consistently failing, spectacularly at times, in the cup competitions.

Sammy7nil
21-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Some decent points but totally lost me when he said - "Hughes left with the club toiling in the bottom half, there’s an argument, strengthened in hindsight, that he should have been allowed more time to try and turn the tide."

We would be in Div 1 if Yogi was in charge. Maybe we have had two "blips" but I think it is what we should expect and not settle for mediocrity.

Musselbound
21-11-2011, 08:09 PM
There is some truth in it. In retrospect, Mixu for instance deserved to be given more time for the reasons stated in the article. A sixth place finish should not be a sackable offence for a Hibs manager when you look at our track record in the modern era. Calderwood's level of mediocrity could not be accepted and Hughes had also slid to seriously worrying levels. I do think we need to be more results focussed at times, giving a manager two or three seasons at least to try to build a more attractive side.

SmokieJoe
21-11-2011, 08:14 PM
There is some truth in it. In retrospect, Mixu for instance deserved to be given more time for the reasons stated in the article. A sixth place finish should not be a sackable offence for a Hibs manager when you look at our track record in the modern era. Calderwood's level of mediocrity could not be accepted and Hughes had also slid to seriously worrying levels. I do think we need to be more results focussed at times, giving a manager two or three seasons at least to try to build a more attractive side.

I remember Alex Smith getting the heave ho and th sheep ****gers whilst they were in 4th place, what a wise move that turned out to be for them.........:no way:

HibsMax
21-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Some decent points but totally lost me when he said - "Hughes left with the club toiling in the bottom half, there’s an argument, strengthened in hindsight, that he should have been allowed more time to try and turn the tide."

We would be in Div 1 if Yogi was in charge. Maybe we have had two "blips" but I think it is what we should expect and not settle for mediocrity.

Playing devil's advocate here for a second.................

I know that CC brought in some players over the winter break and then we had that good run in February, but is it not possible that Hughes might also have taken the team on such a run? Just wondering if we had had the stomach to stick with him and skipped the whole CC debacle, might we been in a better position now? The reason I ask this is because we, in my opinion, need to give the manager time. To me this means that we HAVE to endure some crappy football and crappy results. I'm not suggesting that if he did stick with Yogi that everything would be hunky dory but I wonder if he could have done a better job than CC AND continued to improve as a manager i.e., would more time have worked for him?