PDA

View Full Version : Supporters Forum on Saturday - my (gash notes)

RIP
21-11-2011, 05:30 PM
With apologies in advance for omissions as I was trying to pay attention and write at the same time

Place and time
Forthview Suite above BTG, 10.30 am to noon

Invites
If you filled in the Hibernian FC questionnaire and said yes to the question about attending the forums you name went into the hat. Names out the hat were then invited. That said my invite only came through the day before and the founder of Hibernians for Change only got his at the same time. Maybe we were late subs. We have to remember that a lot of folk do family stuff, work, coach fitba on Saturday morning so inviting 50 and getting 14 is maybe just what it takes

Attendance
Hibs: Fife Hyland (MD), Jamie Marwick (Finance), Andrew Sleight (Media), David Forsyth (PR)
Supporters: I didn't ask permission to publish names so I won't. They were a really motivated and passionate group. Almost all had been in written correspondence with Fife and it was clear that from the invites to protest groups the club weren't afraid to talk to us face to face. Participants included folk from the following groups - Hibs Supporters Association Council, HSA Branch convenor, HibeesBounce, Hibs.Net, hibs12thMan, Sect43, The Hibernians, Hibs Disabled Association/U19 reporter. I should stress that no-one was there in an official capacity on behalf of any group - just as ordinary supporters - but it made for a guid spread of views

See part 2

TowerHibs
21-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Pretty gash so far :wink:

RIP
21-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Part 2 - Fitba stuff - ideas put forward

What makes us who we are - we need as a family to focus on the characteristics that make us proud to be Hibbies
How do we get that culture into everything we do from the ground up and the top down?
Would the club consider supporter representation on the board?
Shouldn't we have an ex-player or senior football figure on the board Bobby Charlton was one such example
We don't get enough realistic vision from the club - it's always 'top six and Europe'. Not much good when we are in the relegation zone
Why not realistic targets e.g. Youth Policy & mid table then next year top six then see
Fife 100% adamant they don't seek to influence the football operation. This wasn't too well received as some weren't happy with a non-football board handing over 'carte blanche' to the 'manager of the year' Could explain squad churn
David said when John Park was at club there was a clear Academy strategy. Fife said Scott is creating a more permanent structure that doesn't change so much manager to manager. I'm not sure how convinced we were of an accountant's ability to do this effectively
Do we want to win ugly or see attractive football. Jury was divided on this one
More consensus on recruiting exciting players e.g. Sauzee, Latapy, Zouma. Does wage structure limit this?
We all remember Franck losing his teeth. We miss that 'never say die' spirit
It's been a long time since any of us saw a Hibs team we recognised as a Hibs team. More like a collection of individuals

RIP
21-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Part 3 - Managers and players

Club officials looked to the heavens when the topic of a media-savvy manager was raised. CC flunked that one and they know it
We stressed it was a critical requirement of a modern manager to be good at interviews - whose passion engages the support
The manager must be seen with the players, directors and supporters - true engagement - not just lip service
Club must act swifter to refute rumours on messageboards - Calderwood's summer rumours were a farce of inactivity
Andrew told us about players who were active in the community. Sean OHanlon and ?? off to Sick Kids. Ian Murray on Poppy Day (No Hearts rep "even though they won the war" (Chuckles all round :greengrin) We pointed out we need to see this more
Officials said Ian Murray told players they were responsible for managers getting the sack
Some guys went on the Holland Tour and met players - not one said hello
There was mention of Ian Murray being quoted (or mis-quoted) in press (Sorry Baldy - ma note taking let me doon here)
Players must acknowledge supporters at every game - not just one or two but the whole team
The more the new manager, players mingle with supporters the more of a family we will become. Otherwise it's just talk

RIP
21-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Part 4 - Hibs TV

We have the largest group of subscribers outside the Old Firm
More supporters should use it to find out what goes on
Sound on interviews is poor quality - club needs to use boom mike
All interviews are solo - no 'family' feel
Need group interviews and fun interviews e.g, training days. Someone mentioned a great interview at EM with McBride and Miller
We need to see evidence of team spirit - not just on TV but also squad/coaches unity on website, on pitch
Players talking to manager or manager talking to board through the Press - wot's that about?
Use Hibs TV to feature community activities, feature supporters and families
Use Programme and Hibs TV to feature the wider 'Family' not just club staff

RIP
21-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Part 5 - General discussion points

Details of Supporters Buses need to go in the Club Programme
A managers and players forum would be popular - not regular but a couple of times per season
We need to genuinely engage with minority band ethnic groups and be active in those communities.
We need a presence at community events e.g. Leith Festival, Mela
A bigger scoreboard is needed but ideal costs £600K and cheapest £150K. We agreed the team is the priority :-)
Club will be introducing new electronic advertising boards
Asked club to consider Twitter service - cheaper than text
Website needs to be up to date although admitted it's resource hungry - Hibs have small team
Use traditional engagement with non-internet supporters - face to face, main streets, pub and shop posters in local areas
More Hibees Reunited, Green Day deals. Examples of 16 supporters travelling together from Dalkeith down to 3 or 4
Messageboards could act as communication vehicle by working with club on supporters Q&A
We need Willie Docherty to be more passionate, learn players names. He doesnae do anything to rise to the occasion
Supporters gave a set list to Hibs last season and replaced inane pop with more raucous tunes, Club dug it and would welcome another list

RIP
21-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Final part - where do we go from here

Creation of a Shadow Board
Members of Hibs Board will participate
Shadow Board will communicate back to Support
Club won't just accept all our recommendations but will challenge and debate
Forums must cast a wide net of particpants and welcome protest groups
Regular forums must be part of the way the club is run
Lottery to fund players - we have The Hibernians - is it just this or more?
Prizes could be meet players, visit East Mains, travel with the team
There will be another Forum before the Rangers game
Club will publish outcome and announce next steps of an action plan

That's the bare bones - anyone else who was there - please add what I missed oot
Feedback welcome folks
Awa fer a cuppa!!:greengrin

Sammy7nil
21-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Good stuff

Thanks for the info.

BEEJ
21-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Some good stuff in there for the Board to review and move forward with - well done to all who attended and contributed to the forum.

And grateful thanks to S43 for the summary! :aok:

RIP
21-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh aye - can George who put the 'Shadow Board' proposal in - please get in touch by pm. I'd like to buy you a pint at the next game