PDA

View Full Version : Close a stand.

murray26
20-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Is it about time we copied Dunfermline and closed a stand to save costs, unless RP has a grand plan on how to entice people back i really dont see the point in having our stadium over 50 % empty on match day. p.s that 3 for 2 deal lol, think again Rod its not going to work.

Cabbage East
20-11-2011, 02:46 PM
No.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Will never happen and nor should it! Invest in a new stand and then close one, that would be ridiculous and make us a laughing stock.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Wont be long before we can close 2 stands and get everyone in the east.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-11-2011, 02:55 PM
The clubs that have done this already have not had the luxury of thinking, " This will look terrible", but have had to face reality. St Johnstone are already talking about closing the away end for good and demolishing it for an access road. We could have gone all season with either the FF or the south shut.

murray26
20-11-2011, 03:08 PM
It was a waste of millions building the new stand, i would rather have seen it spent on keeping Brown Thompson Murphy Caldwell, O'conner and Riordan an investment in a decent keeper and had a bash at winning the league.

Spike Mandela
20-11-2011, 03:18 PM
It was a waste of millions building the new stand, i would rather have seen it spent on keeping Brown Thompson Murphy Caldwell, O'conner and Riordan an investment in a decent keeper and had a bash at winning the league.

I agree but a 72 page thread drooling over the new stand would suggest we are in a minority on here.

We wouldn't have held on to the names you mention but surely would be able to operate in a higher standard transfer market when looking at replacements.

Elephant Stone
20-11-2011, 03:20 PM

Those players wanted to go, the money we spent on a new stand would not have kept them at ER. A "waste" of millions would've been paying them wages we couldn't really afford and not winning the league. The stand is here to stay, it will serve us for a long time, it was not a waste of money.

Spike Mandela
20-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Will never happen and nor should it! Invest in a new stand and then close one, that would be ridiculous and make us a laughing stock.

You mean like turning down £300k compo for our manager then sacking him 3 months later? Surely not:wink:

IWasThere2016
20-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I agree but a 72 page thread drooling over the new stand would suggest we are in a minority on here.

The minority were correct however. It was not needed nor will it be going forward ..

greenlex
20-11-2011, 05:47 PM
The minority were correct however. It was not needed nor will it be going forward ..

No you weren't and yes it will. Give it time.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2011, 05:47 PM
:hmmm:

Kammy1875
20-11-2011, 05:52 PM
No you weren't and yes it will. Give it time.

Agreed. It was then or never for the stand. Especially with the Jambo loving council who would have denied us permission due to the flats behind the stand. :rolleyes:

Cabbage East
20-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I think having the old east stand would have made this season so much more bearable.

Kammy1875
20-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I think having the old east stand would have made this season so much more bearable.

Na, the East was gash under Blobby. It would be like that again now.

I think if we have a team like TM's again anytime in the future the next East will be bouncing. :agree:

iwasthere1972
20-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Can you imagine the dross we would have brought in if we still had the old east stand. It's the new east stand that sells the club to the players. :greengrin

Kammy1875
20-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Can you imagine the dross we would have brought in if we still had the old east stand. It's the new east stand that sells the club to the players. :greengrin

Na, thats the training complex :aok:

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't see the point in anybody still moaning about building the east stand. It's not going to be unbuilt any time soon. It's not the stadium that's the problem, it's the team and the management, or lack off. Let's focus on getting that right.

We built a great stadium for fifty years. I'd be happy to see us build a decent team for five.

Twa Cairpets
20-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Yes, because that would have happened

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth we've got rid of a stand that was, frankly, minging on the basis that we will in the future be able to get towards a good level of occupancy as a result of squad on the park that will challenge. Not suggesting for a minute that we're there yet, but the East (and speaking as a ST Holder there for years) was howfing. The occasional good bounce didnt make up for the fear of contracting something merely by walking into the cludgie.

We've not been close to having a game where the stadium can really get going since the new stand has been up due to the crud out out by Hughes and the tedium created by Calderwood. When we get a game where the fans can go mental (in a positive way) we'll see what the atmosphere is like. Jan 2nd seems like a good time to start.

iwasthere1972
20-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Na, thats the training complex :aok:

What. We have a training complex? When does it open?

smurf
20-11-2011, 06:12 PM
The way we are going only the famous five lower will be required next season.

Kammy1875
20-11-2011, 06:16 PM
What. We have a training complex? When does it open?

Between 0900 & 1230 - then it's off to the bookies in Tranent for the afternoon :aok:

iwasthere1972
20-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Between 0900 & 1230 - then it's off to the bookies in Tranent for the afternoon :aok:

I think you're confusing training complex with inferiority complex. :wink:

Kammy1875
20-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I think you're confusing training complex with inferiority complex. :wink:

Yep, this is quite possible :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2011, 08:36 PM
You mean like turning down £300k compo for our manager then sacking him 3 months later? Surely not:wink:

Never happened :wink:

soupy
20-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Is it about time we copied Dunfermline and closed a stand to save costs, unless RP has a grand plan on how to entice people back i really dont see the point in having our stadium over 50 % empty on match day. p.s that 3 for 2 deal lol, think again Rod its not going to work. Surely it'll still be half empty if they did close a stand :-)

Brebners Bookie
20-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Yeah but the re-development needed done at some point. Im no expert but would guess that ER and the training centre wont need major re-development for 20-30 years? Meaning that all disposable income in that time has to be invested in the team. IMO we are the only club outside Glasgow in that position. It may not have had an immediate effect but it has given us so much potential growth.

lucky
20-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Hibs have a first class ground and training complex. These things are building blocks for the club for the foreseeable future. Players come and go but it is ridiculous to say we should have kept a few players to try and win the league. We have never challenged in close on 60 years so why would holding on a few players going change that? We are a club that has under achieved for years 3 league cup wins in 39 years is poor for the 3/4/5th biggest team in the country. Hopefully the new manager will be build the club up again. There are some decent players in the Under 19's and if you add to the experience that Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Stevens, Booth and Welsh are getting just now we as a club might start to go forward again. Hindsight is a exact science but we should stop looking back and start looking forward. the club made the right decisions with the infrastructure and we were all delighted.

LeithBoozy
20-11-2011, 09:14 PM
If I remember right, the money for the East-stand was ring fenced. So it would not have been spent on players, or enything bar the East-stand.

lapsedhibee
20-11-2011, 09:39 PM
It was a waste of millions building the new stand

One three-stand ground in Edinburgh with a crumbling *****heap on the fourth side is quite enough, thanks anyway.

Elephant Stone
20-11-2011, 09:41 PM
One three-stand ground in Edinburgh with a crumbling *****heap on the fourth side is quite enough, thanks anyway.

That's generous.

Speedway
21-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Accountants cost cut, entrepreneurs make it work.

Judas Iscariot
21-11-2011, 11:03 AM

What? More than we are now?

happiehibbie
21-11-2011, 11:15 AM
YES YES YES

we need to stop thinking things can last for ever at the moment the crowd we are getting is not letting us break even, that can not last no business in the world can continue like that we need to reduce cost the same as any company you might work for simple terms are Too much going out not enough comming in close one of the stands I would say Dunbar end and savings will be made and will help possibly pay a wage .Think of this shut the stand and open it when we need it and we could afford to get a player in with quality

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I have said it before, the FF stand should be emptied, and those who sit in there asked to move to the east or west.

Then we should be putting the singing section, section 43 or whatever its called, plus all those who want to sing or go mad at the games in there.

It would imo catch on more if it was in a smaller stand, away from those who maybe dont want to get involved in that kind of thing?

There's nothing worse than watching that away end going radge, when the bigots or the yams are in. The east is too big for that sort of thing i think, and we should aim for something smaller just now.

Doing this would imo give it the boost it needs.

Andy74
21-11-2011, 11:16 AM

It was needed a couple of times before your man came in and ensured we don't need it currently.

Get the manager and the players doing their jobs and we will be back up to numbers again.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2011, 11:19 AM
It was needed a couple of times before your man came in and ensured we don't need it currently.

Get the manager and the players doing their jobs and we will be back up to numbers again.

:tee hee:

Renfrew_Hibby
21-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Safe standing ares are now back on the agenda, with both Celtic and Motherwell now looking at how we could impliment it.
I think the FF lower would be perfect for a standing area at Easter Road. It could safely hold 2,000 to 2,500 standing safely and would be brilliant IMO.
Only a season ticket or some other sort of membership scheme would grant you access to the area and seating would easily be put in should it be needed for european games or whatever as is the case at every Bundesliga ground.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 01:06 PM

:faf: Check your facts - as surprise surprise you're havering pish again.

It has been needed twice since it's construction. One under Yogi and once under CC.

Both times v them for a few hundred seats.

Dashing Bob S
21-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I have said it before, the FF stand should be emptied, and those who sit in there asked to move to the east or west.

Then we should be putting the singing section, section 43 or whatever its called, plus all those who want to sing or go mad at the games in there.

It would imo catch on more if it was in a smaller stand, away from those who maybe dont want to get involved in that kind of thing?

There's nothing worse than watching that away end going radge, when the bigots or the yams are in. The east is too big for that sort of thing i think, and we should aim for something smaller just now.

Doing this would imo give it the boost it needs.

This a very simple, yet, I think, excellent idea.

The East is too big to be a purely 'radge stand', it just leads to moaning-faced cheapskates complaining about the singing section. If all the singers were given free reign in the FF and the families decanted to perhaps the lower tier of the the west, you could have a great home 'end' with atmosphere. As I understand it, this was the end the traditional vocal Hibs fans congregated at pre the days of the east. You could have the top tier for the squeaky-voiced younger chaps who like to filch songs from what they hear other fans doing on the telly, and lower deck for the crusty old stalwarts who believe that any deviation from the same five or six numbers constitutes high treason.

Andy74
21-11-2011, 02:16 PM
:faf: Check your facts - as surprise surprise you're havering pish again.

It has been needed twice since it's construction. One under Yogi and once under CC.

Both times v them for a few hundred seats.

I think you'll find the second time was for Yogi's team. (And my smiley's aren't working!)

At The Edge
21-11-2011, 03:11 PM
As a fully paid up member of the older gentlemans section of S43, but not in the oldest age bracket, i.e above 20 i would love for us to be shifted into a standing section behind the goals in the lower FF, i do think it would create a better atmosphere and less moaning between our fellow fans,
Plus the folk in FF now, should experience the joys of not getting out of the ground at fulltime until 5pm ish :greengrin

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I think you'll find the second time was for Yogi's team. (And my smiley's aren't working!)

Try this - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10290,00.html

The two largest home attendances in seasons 2009/10 and 2010/11 were v Hearts in November 2010 and April 2011 - both were under CC in actual fact.

Phil MaGlass
21-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Now is the time for the club to act, move everyone to the East stand from the FF, fill the FF with kids fitba clubs,even if its just for one game,and as i have repeatedly said before, give out thousands of free tickets to these clubs and schools and especially give out free tix in deprived areas, just fill the stadium and get an atmosphere going. get the kids young enough they will want to come back as they will be spending an afternoon with other kids, wether they watch the fitba is another thing, but if a kid enjoys the day out theres always a good chance they will want to come back.

Andy74
21-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Try this - http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10290,00.html

The two largest home attendances in seasons 2009/10 and 2010/11 were v Hearts in November 2010 and April 2011 - both were under CC in actual fact.

Didn't know the Rangers game for opening the stand as less than those two - there you go, apologies.

Still, you've come up with some reasons why, until people were eventually turned off by our poor home form, the stand and the additional capacity has been handy and really should have been the base to build on had the management of the team not failed so dismally.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Didn't know the Rangers game for opening the stand as less than those two - there you go, apologies.

Still, you've come up with some reasons why, until people were eventually turned off by our poor home form, the stand and the additional capacity has been handy and really should have been the base to build on had the management of the team not failed so dismally.

Crowds have been in decline steadily since Mowbray. The crowds fell under every manager spell from their start till their departure. Sad state of affairs.

tamig
21-11-2011, 07:57 PM

That's a ridiculous short-sighted view. As some have said, with the right man in place and results going well again it won't take long for the crowds to shoot back up.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 08:24 PM
That's a ridiculous short-sighted view. As some have said, with the right man in place and results going well again it won't take long for the crowds to shoot back up.

Nonsense. The capacity was 17k pre the new East. Even under TM - 3rd place, thrilling and winning football we didn't sell out so where/when will we need another 3.5k (that's +20% on TM levels) week in week out???

Would you buy a 5-bed hoose as a single man in case you needed it 10-15 years on?

3pm
21-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Nonsense. The capacity was 17k pre the new East. Even under TM - 3rd place, thrilling and winning football we didn't sell out so where/when will we need another 3.5k (that's +20% on TM levels) week in week out???

Would you buy a 5-bed hoose as a single man in case you needed it 10-15 years on?

Depends how many burds you have.

Kato
21-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Now is the time for the club to act, move everyone to the East stand from the FF, fill the FF with kids fitba clubs,even if its just for one game,and as i have repeatedly said before, give out thousands of free tickets to these clubs and schools and especially give out free tix in deprived areas, just fill the stadium and get an atmosphere going. get the kids young enough they will want to come back as they will be spending an afternoon with other kids, wether they watch the fitba is another thing, but if a kid enjoys the day out theres always a good chance they will want to come back.

Far better idea than the op's, who sounds a tad jumblified to me.

Kato
21-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Using that (useless) analogy we'd be moving around every know and then and end up in a nursing home.

LancashireHibby
21-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I know from experience with a certain Premier League club that throwing free tickets at schools/junior teams is a long, downward spiral. All it does is annoy season ticket holders and the kids (and more importantly their parents) rarely become paying fans because it's so easy to get their hands on a freebie.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Depends how many burds you have.

:greengrin

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I know from experience with a certain Premier League club that throwing free tickets at schools/junior teams is a long, downward spiral. All it does is annoy season ticket holders and the kids (and more importantly their parents) rarely become paying fans because it's so easy to get their hands on a freebie.

Correct. The only lasting USP is on the park. Not a comfy seat.

I'm watching Spuds-Villa - not a free seat and its on tv in the same recession - because they are worth watching.

Alfred E Newman
21-11-2011, 09:41 PM
If Billy Broon gets the job they can shut all the stands

tamig
21-11-2011, 10:11 PM

I've been an East ST holder since the 80s. It was always going to need replacing. I trust the board in their reasons as to why they did it when they did. Doesn't really matter if a 20k capacity is too big - at the moment or anytime soon. It's an investment in the future. And we could have had some real difficulty getting teh planning permission again if we'd allowed it to lapse.

We could do with more paying punters getting back to ER. Maybe one day when your schedule is less busy would be good to see you maybe half a dozen times a season. Every little helps.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Was there Saturday - every little helps :wink: - dunno when the other near 12,000 are coming though.

smurf
22-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Crowds have been in decline steadily since Mowbray. The crowds fell under every manager spell from their start till their departure. Sad state of affairs.

IIRC the average under JC was higher than under Mogga.

Septimus
22-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I have never been able to understand why people might like to watch football from the ends of the park but obviously some do. Talk of moving some from the FF to the East seems hard on those who have sat in the FF for years.

southern hibby
22-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Now is the time for the club to act, move everyone to the East stand from the FF, fill the FF with kids fitba clubs,even if its just for one game,and as i have repeatedly said before, give out thousands of free tickets to these clubs and schools and especially give out free tix in deprived areas, just fill the stadium and get an atmosphere going. get the kids young enough they will want to come back as they will be spending an afternoon with other kids, wether they watch the fitba is another thing, but if a kid enjoys the day out theres always a good chance they will want to come back. I phoned HIBS a while back suggesting this and they were dead against it. QUOTE It will not happen as we have kids who pay and why should they when we are giving outfree tickets. I suggested giving out 1000 tickets to 13 year olds and 1000 to 14 year olds and trying to get them hooked by the time they were 16 and you could keep on doing this every year adding another 1000 to 13 year olds as last years 13 year olds turned 14 and 14 year olds turned 15. I also said give them to kids whos parents were unemployed, single parents. NOT INTERESTED. I also suggested as a reward scheme for kids who do well at school, give x amount to schools in the area and let them give them them out to the kids who have shown a comitment to time keeping studying etc. Again a no goer.As i suggested to HIBS if we got 100 (10%) of each years 1000 kids who turn 16 buying a season ticket its 100 more in the stadium. NOT INTERESTED. Also suggested the money that could be made from shop sales. GUESS WHAT, NOT INTERESTED. HOWEVER i did suggested a SEASON TICKET that you could give (Transferable) to another member of your family if you could not make the game due to Work or Holiday commitments, AND WAS ASKED IF I COULD BUY SUCH A TICKET WOULD I BE INTERESTED IN PAYING EXTRA FOR IT>GGTTH.

IWasThere2016
22-11-2011, 08:41 AM
IIRC the average under JC was higher than under Mogga.

SPL crowds?

Scouse Hibee
22-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I phoned HIBS a while back suggesting this and they were dead against it. QUOTE It will not happen as we have kids who pay and why should they when we are giving outfree tickets. I suggested giving out 1000 tickets to 13 year olds and 1000 to 14 year olds and trying to get them hooked by the time they were 16 and you could keep on doing this every year adding another 1000 to 13 year olds as last years 13 year olds turned 14 and 14 year olds turned 15. I also said give them to kids whos parents were unemployed, single parents. NOT INTERESTED. I also suggested as a reward scheme for kids who do well at school, give x amount to schools in the area and let them give them them out to the kids who have shown a comitment to time keeping studying etc. Again a no goer.As i suggested to HIBS if we got 100 (10%) of each years 1000 kids who turn 16 buying a season ticket its 100 more in the stadium. NOT INTERESTED. Also suggested the money that could be made from shop sales. GUESS WHAT, NOT INTERESTED. HOWEVER i did suggested a SEASON TICKET that you could give (Transferable) to another member of your family if you could not make the game due to Work or Holiday commitments, AND WAS ASKED IF I COULD BUY SUCH A TICKET WOULD I BE INTERESTED IN PAYING EXTRA FOR IT>GGTTH.

Why? People have been giving their tickets to other folk for years if they couldn't make a game (it's hard to even give a ST away these days though). It's not as if they have pictures on them that prevent other folk from using them???

blackpoolhibs
22-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I have never been able to understand why people might like to watch football from the ends of the park but obviously some do. Talk of moving some from the FF to the East seems hard on those who have sat in the FF for years.

I agree it would be hard on those who have sat behind the goals for years. I suggested they make behind the goals the dedicated singing section, historically its where the main singing used to come from at easter road.

I feel its whats needed to get this whole singing thing off the ground big style. It wont happen imo, most folk will just argue for the sake of it these days, nobody really seems to want whats best for the majority, just themselves it seems to me.

I'd like to see this happen, even just giving it a trial for a season. I think it would take off, and make the atmosphere better, and not annoy anyone who does not want to sing or go a bit mad on matchdays.

southern hibby
22-11-2011, 12:27 PM
[/B]Why? People have been giving their tickets to other folk for years if they couldn't make a game (it's hard to even give a ST away these days though). It's not as if they have pictures on them that prevent other folk from using them??? ScouseHibee, I was totally Gobsmacked I really was. I really thought the board would be doing all it could to get crowds up. Not alienate them. I suggested this to them because of my Job (work in Bristol, live in oxford) I used to be a season ticket holder and wrote to HIBS asking for permission to give it to my sister so she could sit next to my mates when I couldn't get up. which they did allow for a while then one season about 2 weeks after I renewed they sent me a letter to say I couldn't do it anymore.This is the reason I suggested it to them. All they seemed interested in was making money, quickly and not long term. GGTTH.