PDA

View Full Version : Time to take a chill pill

lucky
19-11-2011, 09:55 PM
As supporters we need to chill a fair bit. The anger from the stands is effecting the players. They are playing with no confidence. Every mistake is greeted with howls of derision from us. Yes the standard of football is ***** but this shower really need our support. I'm not a happy clapper and get just as angry at the lack of effort and poor play at most of the support. But we need to give them a lift.

c31
19-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah I agree, Wortherspoon hit a bad free kick just before the break and the laddie is only young and some people around me looked like they would have attacked him if he was within reach. We're close to ruining these guys with the abuse.
Changes are being made and I hope some slack will be shown to the young lads.

Tricla
19-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Couldn't agree more.

ScottB
19-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Agreed. Hell the abuse started on here almost straight away. Folk posting after 30 minutes proclaiming that Brown had 'had his chance,' I mean come on!

Then we get folk wanting us to put out a team of youngsters, can you imagine throwing kids into that!! So they can be soundly booed and branded as mince for the slightest mistake!

The team is rank rotten certainly, but the fact that large sections of the support are ready to boo them just for taking to the pitch is becoming a serious problem. That Brown seems to have went from someone greeted with general positivity to the new public enemy no 1 after a single game makes me really worried how the eventual new manager will be treated. No doubt the booing will kick in if we aren't 2 nil up inside 20 minutes of his first game and playing silky football.

Matty_Jack04
19-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah I agree, Wortherspoon hit a bad free kick just before the break and the laddie is only young and some people around me looked like they would have attacked him if he was within reach. We're close to ruining these guys with the abuse.
Changes are being made and I hope some slack will be shown to the young lads.

There being paid hundreds of pounds A WEEK to be fit healthy athletic men and play football on a Saturday, there doing none of it and haven't for at least 2 years, they deserve all there getting IMO they should be bursting a gut to prove these folk wrong not hiding away from it like little lost babies. If they don't want critised or can't see there deserving of it there in the wrong job

lyonhibs
19-11-2011, 11:31 PM
If the players gave the vaguest impression of giving a *****e, then I'd agree. However, consistent lack of effort and basic ability does not deserve to be tolerated in silence by those whose hard earned £££ pay these imposters wages.

Sir David Gray
19-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I personally don't scream and bawl during games, I moved well beyond the anger stage months ago, almost to the point where poor performances and results aren't really affecting me anymore.

However, I cannot and will not criticise anyone who shouts and screams at the players at the moment. If we were just talking about a sticky patch of about five or six matches then I would say that the criticism was harsh. However, that's not what we're talking about. This poor form has been going on now for almost two years and people have continually handed over their hard earned money in return for practically nothing.

These guys are professional footballers. When fans see them not being able to perform even the most simple of tasks, such as passing a ball five yards without it going out of play, then I think they're more than entitled to get a bit angry at the thought that they are paying for that.

As for it ruining the players, if they aren't able to handle stick from the stands, without them turning into nervous wrecks, then professional sport is probably not for them.

I would hope that, after a bad performance, whatever stick they're getting from the fans, it is ten times worse when they get into the dressing room and meet the manager.

Tricla
19-11-2011, 11:35 PM
There being paid hundreds of pounds A WEEK to be fit healthy athletic men and play football on a Saturday, there doing none of it and haven't for at least 2 years, they deserve all there getting IMO they should be bursting a gut to prove these folk wrong not hiding away from it like little lost babies. If they don't want critised or can't see there deserving of it there in the wrong job

No-one is suggesting that under performing footballers shouldn't be criticised. I, like many others, have criticised players and managers in the past.

I agree. We are guff at the moment and have been for a while.

It's the personal abuse and mindless aggression towards the players that has no place IMO.

It has NO positive connotations whatsoever.

Matty_Jack04
20-11-2011, 12:04 AM
No-one is suggesting that under performing footballers shouldn't be criticised. I, like many others, have criticised players and managers in the past.

I agree. We are guff at the moment and have been for a while.

It's the personal abuse and mindless aggression towards the players that has no place IMO.

It has NO positive connotations whatsoever.

I understand what your saying but you can't expect people to sit through what's on offer without getting frustrated its dire times and the players aren't working hard enough, 2 managers have lost there jobs the players are not blameless for that.

In the days after CC was emptied wotherspoon was tweeting about having 2 days off 'chilling with the mrs' we're hanging around the foot of the table a mans lost his job for it and the squad have days off whilst we're all grafting away to pay there wages every week too watch misplaced 5yard passes no desire or effort to get us out of the mess we're in, that's what angers people if they pulled the finger out and battled for 90mins they'd get the encouragement from the stands win lose or draw, they don't do that too easily beaten and not an ounce of fight between them

Saorsa
20-11-2011, 12:07 AM
As supporters we need to chill a fair bit. The anger from the stands is effecting the players. They are playing with no confidence. Every mistake is greeted with howls of derision from us. Yes the standard of football is ***** but this shower really need our support. I'm not a happy clapper and get just as angry at the lack of effort and poor play at most of the support. But we need to give them a lift.That's the one thing that should not be tolerated under any circumstances IMO. I've seen some rubbish in my time but they've tried. I've never seen so many non trying disinterested losers as I have in the last few seasons. Mistakes happen, fine. If players are poor then that's what they are. They can all try.

Lack of effort and not trying there is nae excuse for, ever, for the money they are getting paid and I am paying.

Tricla
20-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I understand what your saying but you can't expect people to sit through what's on offer without getting frustrated its dire times and the players aren't working hard enough, 2 managers have lost there jobs the players are not blameless for that.

In the days after CC was emptied wotherspoon was tweeting about having 2 days off 'chilling with the mrs' we're hanging around the foot of the table a mans lost his job for it and the squad have days off whilst we're all grafting away to pay there wages every week too watch misplaced 5yard passes no desire or effort to get us out of the mess we're in, that's what angers people if they pulled the finger out and battled for 90mins they'd get the encouragement from the stands win lose or draw, they don't do that too easily beaten and not an ounce of fight between them

We are all frustrated and have a right to criticise. The players have to shoulder a huge part of the responsibility for the rut we are in. They don't deserve the personal abuse they get though. Especially young guys like Spoony, Hanlon & Booth. They need encouragement. Look at how Spoony and Hanlon performed for the Scotland U21's. IMO this was largely due to being able to express themselves away from the baying hoards at ER.

In regards to Spoony's tweet - I can't see how we can chastise the players for having time off that will have been ordered by BB or RP or some other senior club member in the aftermath of CC's sacking.

No doubt this was done to give everyone some space to think and adjust. I don't think we should look too far in to this.

Beefster
20-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Normally, I'd be one of the first to jump on the booing or some of the muppets who start abusing the players from the first minute. Not this time though. Considering how apathetic I feel, I can understand that some would have turned to anger rather than apathy. The club, players and management are going to have to take some responsibility for the atmosphere.

PS OT but judging by the amount of folk that were getting massively pissed off waiting 20 minutes to be served in BTG, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys went straight in to the ground and raged at the players.

Hibs_SW
20-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I understand where everyone is coming from here yeah they get paid a lot of money but maybe they feel a bit like us with all the behind doors stuff and finding a new manager etc or having to work with a manager that didn't have a clue! The getting the two days off had absolutely nothing to do with anyone there now as was already addressed a week or so ago RP confirmed this was nothing to do with the board it was authorised by CC before he was sacked therefore stood when he did go! Hardly fair cause he got the sack to say oh well ur days off are scrapped! It's extremely frustrating the state of play just now but calm down just a bit there's passion and there's taking aggression and violence against the players to another level!!!!

JimBHibees
20-11-2011, 10:59 AM
As supporters we need to chill a fair bit. The anger from the stands is effecting the players. They are playing with no confidence. Every mistake is greeted with howls of derision from us. Yes the standard of football is ***** but this shower really need our support. I'm not a happy clapper and get just as angry at the lack of effort and poor play at most of the support. But we need to give them a lift.

Completely agree some Hibs fans are the worst on the planet and arent as happy as when they are moaning and they are usually the same folk that dont appreciate anything good. Some need to get a life. Opposition teams must love playing at ER.

silverhibee
20-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Yep, once again it is the Hibs support fault that the team are playing so badly, think its the players that having been taking this chill pill your talking about, that first 45mins yesterday was woeful and the players deserved everything that came there way from the stands, passing was poor, how hard is it to pass the ball five yards without giving it to an opposition player, throw ins have been a joke for ages, our set pieces, delivery in to the box are horrible to watch, we dont press the opposition when they have the ball, killie made us look like school boys (sorry to any school boys reading this) in that first half yesterday, these players get paid good money to do there job on the park and they were not earning there crust with that performance yesterday.

silverhibee
20-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Completely agree some Hibs fans are the worst on the planet and arent as happy as when they are moaning and they are usually the same folk that dont appreciate anything good. Some need to get a life. Opposition teams must love playing at ER.

Yeah they must do, but it will have nothing to do with the fans and more to do with the crap that they are playing against, home or away i think every other team in the SPL will be thinking that they can take points of us.

St Johnstone and Motherwell up next away from home and then Rangers after the that, no points from these games which is a strong possibility and Hibs are in a relagation battle, are the players Hibs have just now up for a battle, it doesn't look like it.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2011, 03:35 PM
If you chase shadows all game, you will get much more tired that those passing the ball around you.

silverhibee
20-11-2011, 07:49 PM
If you chase shadows all game, you will get much more tired that those passing the ball around you.

:top marks

And thats what the players were doing, chasing shadows most of the game, my son said after 20 minutes that the players were puffing oot there backsides and looked unfit,my answer to him is what you have said, they weren't unfit just tired chasing after nothing it was embarassing to watch so it was.

blackpoolhibs
20-11-2011, 07:57 PM

And thats what the players were doing, chasing shadows most of the game, my son said after 20 minutes that the players were puffing oot there backsides and looked unfit,my answer to him is what you have said, they weren't unfit just tired chasing after nothing it was embarassing to watch so it was.

I have no doubt every player we have could probably get fitter, yet saying that i dont think fitness is that much of a problem?

Lack of ability is, and as i said, chasing around after the bloody thing does make you so tired, that when they do manage to get hold of the ball, lack of ability and tiredness means they are too knackered to make the right passes imo.

weonlywon6-2
20-11-2011, 07:57 PM

JimBHibees
21-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah they must do, but it will have nothing to do with the fans and more to do with the crap that they are playing against, home or away i think every other team in the SPL will be thinking that they can take points of us.

St Johnstone and Motherwell up next away from home and then Rangers after the that, no points from these games which is a strong possibility and Hibs are in a relagation battle, are the players Hibs have just now up for a battle, it doesn't look like it.

It is both we are very poor that is true however the fans are in many cases desperate to get on the players back especially the young ones it appears which is really helpful.

marinello59
21-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I have no doubt every player we have could probably get fitter, yet saying that i dont think fitness is that much of a problem?

Lack of ability is, and as i said, chasing around after the bloody thing does make you so tired, that when they do manage to get hold of the ball, lack of ability and tiredness means they are too knackered to make the right passes imo.

I don't think it is either. We could argue about the general ability of the squad but are we really any worse in that respect than any other SPL side outside the Old Firm? The main problem is lack of confidence with players treating the ball like a hot potato. We have a group of footballers who are to scared to play football at the moment. Getting on their backs during the game will only make things worse.

Gatecrasher
21-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm of the opinion that the players are well paid to play football, they spend hours per week on a well built training centre that cost millions, and when they can't put a simple Pass through or a decent cross I can see why some people have a go.

hibs0666
21-11-2011, 12:18 PM
If we want our players to hate playing at Easter Road, and want the opposition players to love it, then we as a support are doing a brilliant job.

marinello59
21-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm of the opinion that the players are well paid to play football, they spend hours per week on a well built training centre that cost millions, and when they can't put a simple Pass through or a decent cross I can see why some people have a go.

I can see why they do it. It's counter productive though. Before anybody jumps on me I am not blaming the fans for the state we are in, merely expressing my opinion that getting on the players backs during the game does not help the situation.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Neither is leaving after the Killie goal .. 35 mins in - WTF?!?

:agree:

I don't think it is either. We could argue about the general ability of the squad but are we really any worse in that respect than any other SPL side outside the Old Firm? The
main problem is lack of confidence with players treating the ball like a hot potato. We have a group of footballers who are to scared to play football at the moment. Getting on their backs during the game will only make things worse.

I agree - but why is it that simple 5-10 yeard passes, easy 1-2s, or a lay offs back to the thrower seem to be beyond us!! For professional players to be missing such basic technique/skills is staggering.

s.a.m
21-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I can see why they do it. It's counter productive though. Before anybody jumps on me I am not blaming the fans for the state we are in, merely expressing my opinion that getting on the players backs during the game does not help the situation.

:agree:

Gatecrasher
21-11-2011, 12:52 PM

I agree, i dont personally take part in such acts, But i see why people go a bit a bit nuts when things like that happen.

Paisley Hibby
21-11-2011, 03:43 PM
If we want our players to hate playing at Easter Road, and want the opposition players to love it, then we as a support are doing a brilliant job.

Totally agree with you. I heard Pat Nevin being interviewed on Radio a couple of weeks ago. He was asked why Celtic were having so many second half comebacks despite playing so badly at the start of games. He said it was down to their fans continuing to give them support and not getting on the players backs. I did wonder at the time if he was contrasting that with Easter Road?

I can understand the reaction of many Hibs fans - I get totally frustrated with our players too. But I really believe that by getting on the players backs we are making things even worse.

JimBHibees
21-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Totally agree with you. I heard Pat Nevin being interviewed on Radio a couple of weeks ago. He was asked why Celtic were having so many second half comebacks despite playing so badly at the start of games. He said it was down to their fans continuing to give them support and not getting on the players backs. I did wonder at the time if he was contrasting that with Easter Road?

I can understand the reaction of many Hibs fans - I get totally frustrated with our players too. But I really believe that by getting on the players backs we are making things even worse.

I agree fair enough for booing at end of the game or at half time however the growling and baying when a pass is misplaced is counter productive and usually given out by someone who would be struggling to have any idea about football IMO.

--------
21-11-2011, 04:24 PM

I think you're right, lucky.

Watching Sportscene last night, Rob Maclean asked the renta-plooks for the evening (one was an intellectually-challenged Jimmy and the other one was Dodds, IIRC - I'm honestly blanking a lot of this stuff out at the moment) the actual question - would that result have got Billy Brown the job?

The question was triple-basement stupid, stupid, stupid - the sort of question you'd expect a big lump of wood to ask - but Jimmy of the Single Brain Cell answered it seriously instead of falling of his chair laughing, or just reaching over and poking Maclean's eyes out. The result, he thought, would have done Brown's chances no harm, and for one he (Jimmy) hoped BB would get it as he had so much experience in the game and was a nice bloke and a good chum to boot. Jimmy was the one needing booted.

Thinking of how some of the more intelligent MotD panellists would have answered makes me want to cry. This is the level Scottish football operates at - round about Primary 3 level, and a seriously ungifted P3 at that.

What was scary was my reaction - white rage at them and their total unwillingness to engage with the troubles my football team had got itself into.

There are much deeper questions to be answered about he situation at ER, not least the effectiveness of the communication and co-operation between Board and management/coaching staff. There's also the question - still unanswered IMO - of just how ambitious Farmer and Petrie are, how committed they are to really putting a team on the pitch worthy of the stadium and of the history of Hibernian FC.

Rage isn't helping - not the anger and frustration we all feel at the situation in the team and the club we follow, spilling out onto the park and being vented on the team. Why should the players play for a support who constantly abuse them?

Saying, "They're paid to play" doesn't really hack it. None of them is paid enough to make up for some of the stuff they're getting now - as you say, we need to cool it and give them a lift.

There are a lot of wounds to be healed before we can feel really optimistic about our team again.

I mentioned it in another thread just now - Alex Miller has apparently expressed interest in the job. How about mending fences with him and John Collins - Alex as Director of Football and John as Team Manager and Chief Coach - and giving them a free hand to sort things out? (No midnight sneaking round to Rod's house to complain about the coaching, for instance...)

We could do worse. It would allow RP to take a big step back from the line of fire - he's done us a lot of good over the years and continuity is important as well as a new beginning. And we'd have a good team boss in JC backed by a man with all the experience in the world, one who saw us through another major crisis 20 years ago. It might just work...

Septimus
22-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Even more worrying is the fact that recently I have taken to shouting abuse at my computer monitor. It seems unlikely that this will effect the performance of the players but it seems to ease the sheer disgust I feel for several of the so called players presently employed at ER.

Septimus
22-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Quoted for DODDIE.I mentioned it in another thread just now - Alex Miller has apparently expressed interest in the job. How about mending fences with him and John Collins - Alex as Director of Football and John as Team Manager and Chief Coach - and giving them a free hand to sort things out? (No midnight sneaking round to Rod's house to complain about the coaching, for instance...)

We could do worse. It would allow RP to take a big step back from the line of fire - he's done us a lot of good over the years and continuity is important as well as a new beginning. And we'd have a good team boss in JC backed by a man with all the experience in the world, one who saw us through another major crisis 20 years ago. It might just work...[/QUOTE]

I would be happy with this arrangement. A couple of years ago we had an award winning team of youngsters who seem to have been allowed to dissapate without any attempt beeing made to help them to make the transition to first team players. Whoever comes has to understand the need to build from youth.