PDA

View Full Version : losing interest

djs69
19-11-2011, 05:47 PM
There is clearly a growing lack of interest in hibs on a match day. Is it purely due to team performances? Are older regulars using their hard earned cash for more important things ? Is Scottish football in general losing the publics imagination? Football attendances are reducing generally across the "smaller" teams. Supporting a football team generally disappoints the average fan. 91, the 3-0 at tynie,huns,mixus hat-trick and the5-1 win but having less than 10000 at Easter road more regularly worries me. The atmosphere is all but gone , no disrespect to those in the east trying, but there is little to cheer about, little to get excited about. I bet we all know season ticket holders who don't go to matches. What can we, the club and the team do to turn around this very low point in our history? We need more of the the old green blood mentality or is it just me

edwards
19-11-2011, 05:50 PM
There is clearly a growing lack of interest in hibs on a match day. Is it purely due to team performances? Are older regulars using their hard earned cash for more important things ? Is Scottish football in general losing the publics imagination? Football attendances are reducing generally across the "smaller" teams. Supporting a football team generally disappoints the average fan. 91, the 3-0 at tynie,huns,mixus hat-trick and the5-1 win but having less than 10000 at Easter road more regularly worries me. The atmosphere is all but gone , no disrespect to those in the east trying, but there is little to cheer about, little to get excited about. I bet we all know season ticket holders who don't go to matches. What can we, the club and the team do to turn around this very low point in our history? We need more of the the old green blood mentality or is it just me

We need the right manager

Paul Sturrock

Frogga
19-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Scottish football in general is suffering due to the success of English football, however these things come and go and our national league will recover.

Emerald
19-11-2011, 05:58 PM
There is clearly a growing lack of interest in hibs on a match day. Is it purely due to teget intam performances? Are older regulars using their hard earned cash for more important things ? Is Scottish football in general losing the publics imagination? Football attendances are reducing generally across the "smaller" teams. Supporting a football team generally disappoints the average fan. 91, the 3-0 at tynie,huns,mixus hat-trick and the5-1 win but having less than 10000 at Easter road more regularly worries me. The atmosphere is all but gone , no disrespect to those in the east trying, but there is little to cheer about, little to get excited about. I bet we all know season ticket holders who don't go to matches. What can we, the club and the team do to turn around this very low point in our history? We need more of the the old green blood mentality or is it just me

If the team was creating chances and getting stuck in all over the park, the atmosphere would generate on its own. We need to play with fire, tackle, close down and attack with pace. Basically 'get into them'. :rockin:

Hakim Sar
19-11-2011, 06:01 PM
A 50% reduction in matchday costs. Summer football at 3pm on Saturdays. Bigger league to stop the fear of relegation permeating negative minded football and also to stop teams getting gubbed 6-8 times a season from the old firm.

Then hibs and Scottish football will be fine. I can handle the standard being relatively mediocre so long as it's hard working youngsters being given the chance

Jamesie
19-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Today one of my friends left after 35 minutes, just after Kilmarnock's goal. He often leaves early but this was a record I think. At half time I saw probably somewhere in the region of 30 - 40 fans leaving the East at half time; being told by the stewards they wouldn't get back in again they continued on their way. I was bored out of my skull for parts of today's game. If the players aren't interested it makes it difficult to be interested as a fan.

skipster7
19-11-2011, 06:05 PM
If the team was creating chances and getting stuck in all over the park, the atmosphere would generate on its own. We need to play with fire, tackle, close down and attack with pace. Basically 'get into them'. :rockin:

:agree:couldn't agree more, but these things seem a million miles away at the moment.every team we play seems to be have better movement,passing ,fight and skill:grr:

ScottB
19-11-2011, 06:11 PM
We have a team that is struggling and a support that increasingly boos them every time they go near the ball. So we are stuck in a self fulfilling cycle of players not feeling like they want to try and a support that's turned on them.

People often put the case forward that it's the Board, or the players, or East Mains or whatever that is the cause of our rut, but I'd say we are an increasingly big problem. Frankly I fully expect the new manager to get booed if we aren't 2 nil up inside his first 20 minutes.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Scottish football in general is going down the pan, 25-30 notes for the privilege of watching it in person, no thanks! €10 for Cyprus v Scotland, whatever you think about the national team puts things into perspective.

MrSmith
19-11-2011, 06:20 PM
It pains me to say but ... yes I am/have lost interest. I have been attending Edinburgh Rugby (Gunners) home games for the last few months. The atmosphere is terrific, the team are doing pretty well - all guts and glory - and it is much cheaper!

smurf
19-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Bored yet again at ER today... how many attempts at goal first half? Awful.

Wembley67
19-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Should the title not be 'Lost Interest'.

Emerald
19-11-2011, 06:33 PM
We have a team that is struggling and a support that increasingly boos them every time they go near the ball. So we are stuck in a self fulfilling cycle of players not feeling like they want to try and a support that's turned on them.

People often put the case forward that it's the Board, or the players, or East Mains or whatever that is the cause of our rut, but I'd say we are an increasingly big problem. Frankly I fully expect the new manager to get booed if we aren't 2 nil up inside his first 20 minutes.

You seriously cant be blaming the fans for that utter garbage we have been watching for almost two years now. I've been going to Easter Road for 40 years and have NEVER, yes NEVER seen such rubbish in my life. Its £400 for a season ticket and £20 odd quid to get in for walk up fans. We are being played off the park with teams that have a fraction of our resources. You cannot blame the fans for this, we turned up when asked to back the team a few years ago with 14000 average attendances. Give me f strength, :confused:

sleeping giant
19-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I changed my mind at the last minute about going today.
Thats 3 home matches i've missed so far this season that i've already paid for.

I just couldn't be ersed. Wasn't motivated in the slightest.
Ended up playing F1 2011 all afternoon with my laddie who also has a ST but was not bothered in the slightest about going.

I'm normally really optimistic about Hibs but i'm struggling to talk myself out of not renewing next season for the first time in years.

Hopefully get some mojo rising when we get a new manager but at the moment.................meh.

ScottB
19-11-2011, 06:54 PM
You seriously cant be blaming the fans for that utter garbage we have been watching for almost two years now. I've been going to Easter Road for 40 years and have NEVER, yes NEVER seen such rubbish in my life. Its £400 for a season ticket and £20 odd quid to get in for walk up fans. We are being played off the park with teams that have a fraction of our resources. You cannot blame the fans for this, we turned up when asked to back the team a few years ago with 14000 average attendances. Give me f strength, :confused:

Not at all, it's not our fault by any means. But I can't think relentlessly booing them is helping things either. Hell there were people flocking on here to post abuse inside 10 minutes today. It's like a sizeable chunk of the support are actually more excited by having something to whinge about.

Saorsa
19-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Seats! Team/players wi nae passion!

This was fitba when it was fun :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdesakrwn0

Emerald
19-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Not at all, it's not our fault by any means. But I can't think relentlessly booing them is helping things either. Hell there were people flocking on here to post abuse inside 10 minutes today. It's like a sizeable chunk of the support are actually more excited by having something to whinge about.
The OP is asking about fans loosing interest. It is soul destroying watching Hibs go down hill so far. A few bad performances and the odd bad season is not what we're talking about here. The fans are so frustrated with the rubbish they are watching. We have supported them, and are desperately trying to keep it going but what is getting served up now is so poor it cannot be justified. I try to applaud at every chance I get and never get on individuals backs. However, the fans have a right to their opinion and there seems no end to the demise.

Even getting the basics right, passing closing down, tackling and playing your heart out might get a better response from the fed up fans.

We live in hope :thumbsup:

SneakersO'Toole
19-11-2011, 07:18 PM
We need someone to capture the imagination of the support again akin to Mowbray.

The Hibs fans have proved numerous times in the past that we are a loyal bunch. But the inspiration and excitment has got to come from within.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd love to give Hibs my money again for a ST, but until there's dramatic change they won't be getting it.

Jamesie
19-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Having watched the Souness incident again it really highlights the sea change we've seen in attitudes of our playing staff over the past 20 years. Those players were playing for the jersey. Can you name one player who did so today?

Emerald
19-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I was right on the half way line in the east that day. We didnt need a singing section then! :flag:

jdships
19-11-2011, 07:48 PM
It pains me to say but ... yes I am/have lost interest. I have been attending Edinburgh Rugby (Gunners) home games for the last few months. The atmosphere is terrific, the team are doing pretty well - all guts and glory - and it is much cheaper!

That goes for me likewise also !
I too have been watching club rugby on a Saturday afternoon - plenty of commitment and passion .
It will take a lot to persuade me to be a regular at ER again

:rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Never a good time for a team to hit a lull but to be playing the way we are just now in the current financial climate is a real double dunt. Going to the game has always been a given, but if you add in the prospect of another winter on a par with the one just gone, there are getting to be more compelling reasons not to go.

Saorsa
19-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Having watched the Souness incident again it really highlights the sea change we've seen in attitudes of our playing staff over the past 20 years. Those players were playing for the jersey. Can you name one player who did so today?and that is it, I've seen some rubbish in the years I've been watching Hibs but no matter how bad they were they always looked like they gave a *****, they got stuck in and were disappointed (and looked it) when they lost. They seemed connected better with the fans, it always seemed more like just us rather than us and them, well that's how it was tae me anyway. For me the attitude seems really tae have take a turn for the worse about 4 seasons ago tae what it is now.

Greenblood70
19-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Dragged myself along today against my better judgment. Best part of the day was my 5 min nap in the first half.

Was bored out ma tits the day.

Saorsa
19-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I was right on the half way line in the east that day. We didnt need a singing section then! :flag:I started off in the middle of what was the gantry section, ended up somewhere else though and had tae make my way back :greengrin

you wouldnae fall asleep in there. :agree:

fat freddy
19-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I was right on the half way line in the east that day. We didnt need a singing section then! :flag:

i was just over to your left...it doesn't seem like 25 years ago!....christ, im getting old...

itchy07
19-11-2011, 08:00 PM
That goes for me likewise also ! I too have been watching club rugby on a Saturday afternoon - plenty of commitment and passion . It will take a lot to persuade me to be a regular at ER again :rolleyes:↲By the way lads, if you register your kids in the free gunners/scotland online fan club they'll send you an adult and child ticket for nowt! Wanted to take my boy to ER for the first time this season but don't want to put him off for life. Friday night rugby for me.

Duffys13
19-11-2011, 08:03 PM
A 50% reduction in matchday costs. Summer football at 3pm on Saturdays. Bigger league to stop the fear of relegation permeating negative minded football and also to stop teams getting gubbed 6-8 times a season from the old firm.

Then hibs and Scottish football will be fine. I can handle the standard being relatively mediocre so long as it's hard working youngsters being given the chance

I haven't stoppped going recently but totally agree there's nothing on offer just now. I do think the crowd would get behind a bunch of local young men far more than Joe Average from the ageing ranks of journeymen we employ at the moment. They would also cost a lot less in wages. Aye and a 16 team league at least please.

marinello59
19-11-2011, 08:04 PM
A first half that would have got fitba shut down.
A decent second half, I actually enjoyed it. I may have my expectations constantly lowered but I will never lose interest. Roll on the next match, things can only get better. Can't they?

Jamesie
19-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I see despite getting rid of Calderwood the attendance today was 1,400 lower than it was against Dunfermline. Granted, Killie don't carry the same number of travelling fans as Dunfermline but I can only see that number decreasing even further. Our next home game is against Rangers, with a 12:30 kick off and on television. The overall attendance may mask how many Hibs fans don't turn up but as things stand there is little on offer to make me want to keep going, other than the social aspect of seeing my mates, even with a season ticket.

saltandsauce
19-11-2011, 08:17 PM
A first half that wouldo have got fitba shut down.A decent second half, I actually enjoyed it. I may have my expectations constantly lowered but I will never lose interest. Roll on the next match, things can only get better. Can't they? well said john,ill maybe see you in perth

Speedway
19-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I would honestly like to see this shower play Hibernian Ladies. I predict a late equalizer for Brown's men.

For me, the worst thing is that the players don't actually seem to understand what the problem is. They certainly look incapable of sorting it out and we can only hope that a new manager can.

CC's 'Soft as ****' comment was bang on.

djs69
19-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Lowest league attendance of the season, not good at all. I've been travelling 400 miles round trips for last 3 years and today was the first time I didn't go just because I didn't want to, and it hurts me to say that

I see despite getting rid of Calderwood the attendance today was 1,400 lower than it was against Dunfermline. Granted, Killie don't carry the same number of travelling fans as Dunfermline but I can only see that number decreasing even further. Our next home game is against Rangers, with a 12:30 kick off and on television. The overall attendance may mask how many Hibs fans don't turn up but as things stand there is little on offer to make me want to keep going, other than the social aspect of seeing my mates, even with a season ticket.

The Harp Awakes
19-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I've had a season ticket for 25 years and this pre-season was the 1st I seriously thought of not renewing. I'm the last of a group of 6 mates who used to attend games together. It won't be for much longer though as I'm bored ****less watching hibs now and it's been that way for years. If the hibs board don't make an inspiring managerial appointment & back him financially, we could be playing in front of crowds of 3000 soon. Sad days indeed.

IWasThere2016
19-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree with M59 - dire first 45 and better/enjoyable second half but without us showing any real class tbh.

I hear what folks are saying re inspirational manager/Board backing him etc but who'd want the gig that was truly inspirational? The club don't have the money!

STF "100 Rodders" - no! We need a Blackley, a Stanton, a Cropley and an O'Rourke!!!

For me it has to be Fenlon - an he needs to get some young Irish talent with fight and ambition in to lift the place!

We're in a bl**dy mess!

Newhaven
19-11-2011, 08:59 PM
We need someone to capture the imagination of the support again akin to Mowbray.

The Hibs fans have proved numerous times in the past that we are a loyal bunch. But the inspiration and excitment has got to come from within.

:agree:

The next managerial appointment is crucial. If we get another dud like Clueless Colin were looking at 5,000 punters on a good day for home games.

Today was murder and I for one wont be renewing unless there is a vast improvement. How walk up fans can justify £22 for watching us just now is amazing..

...WentToMowAnSPL
19-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Paul Sturrock

Ear Ear :-)

tony
19-11-2011, 09:09 PM

The Hibs fans have proved numerous times in the past that we are a loyal bunch. But the inspiration and excitement has got to come from within.

:top marks

Just read the Middlesborough - Blackpool report. Sounded like a cracker. Two managers who play football like the actually believe the game is meant to be enjoyed, playing and watching.

Both managers will probably never get to the 'heights' of the game, but they care about the sheer bammy joy of the game, the best blend of youth, experience and tactics. We need more managers like that throughout the game, giving us something to make the crazy prices more acceptable. Not, please, another hard working tried and tested bore to lift us two places in the league........because, as is becoming all too clear, no one really cares any more with this crap we watch, or did watch. Watching the English and Spanish makes our stuff like a dark parody.

Me, I go to my sons games. Under 14's with Bonnyrigg Rose: great group of folk, great, spirited and skilfull players - and all the other teams too, makes you wonder how we manage to bugger all that talent up - and a great day at an enjoyable game of football. Then, up to the local park, to watch the local team kick lumps out of another team: hilarious and noisy 'crowd', spirited mad football of no quality whatsoever, and another great time out watching football.

Easter Road. You have got to be having a laugh. At the moment I'll get my pro football from elsewhere until we all - every team in this country - start to find a way back to the beautiful game.

Steve-O
19-11-2011, 09:43 PM
It's incredible just how much apathy there is right now, and I feel it all the way over here in NZ as well. These days it doesn't even cross my mind to stay up and watch Hibs games online whereas 3 years ago I was watching quite a few.

It seems the players just don't give a monkeys, but why is this, and why is it allowed to continue??? :confused:

Once again it has to be asked WTF they do on the training field all week?

Matty_Jack04
19-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I have lost all interest all passion and the thought of going down doesn't even cross my mind anymore if I'm being totally honest.

I don't think it's all hibs fault either the set up is so out dated and tedious it's no real 4 times a season not counting cup games it's horrible 12 teams is awful and once the league gets split there's more often than not a lack of competitive edge to the games as ur either safe from the drop or too far behind for Europe, add that too the fact the standard of player and level of football is on a rapid decline right across the league and your still expected too stump up £20+ per game.

I seriously feel that if there isn't a good solid managerial appointment made in the coming weeks then I probably won't ever be back, the blazers are in no hurry to change the set up all they seem to be doing is making up fancy roles with nice job descriptions so to get fans going to ER the board somehow have to create a buzz themselves

joebakerforever
19-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Afraid a whoever is appointed Manager is unlikely to remedy the abyss of mediocrity we are now in.

The continuous policy of failing to reinvest a reasonable chunk of the transfer income in some quality replacements is now taking it's toll.

And don't let's have the usual crap that we have invested sizeable sums in the likes of O'Brien & Makalamby etc.

In terms what Petrie has coined in fees, what percentage has been returned to the incumbent managers to reinvest ?

To my knowledge no official figures are ever published on transfers in/out, but i stand to be corrected by the bean counters who can provide the actual fees paid for say O'Brien & Makalamby, and the source of this information.

Now that the attendances are dwindling, perhaps Rod should have paid more attention to Abe Lincoln's maxim :-

"You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

Newhaven
19-11-2011, 10:56 PM
It's incredible just how much apathy there is right now, and I feel it all the way over here in NZ as well. These days it doesn't even cross my mind to stay up and watch Hibs games online whereas 3 years ago I was watching quite a few.

It seems the players just don't give a monkeys, but why is this, and why is it allowed to continue??? :confused:

Rendall - one thing they dont practice is throw in's. Its just a throw up the line hoping to win a flick on :rolleyes:

Steve-O
19-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Rendall - one thing they dont practice is throw in's. Its just a throw up the line hoping to win a flick on :rolleyes:

That's been happening since I started watching them in the 80's though! :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
19-11-2011, 11:20 PM

Walking out the ground today Steve that was the same question which was ringing in my ears. What do they do in training:confused: Hibs set plays have been shocking for a long time now whether from corners or free kicks. Under the Calderwood era (and again witnessed today) the lack of running off the ball and poor workrate is so obvious to see. Opposition teams visiting Easter Road without exception work harder than our players which is totally unacceptable when it happens time and time again.

HibbyAndy
20-11-2011, 07:15 AM

I was there with my dad as a 10 year auld laddie :agree:

Can still remember it clear in my head 25 years later Stevie Cowan scoring from close in, Check oot the East terracing man!!! Thats when it was a mans game, Now its full of woman moaning at you and looking at you as if you have 2 heids when you attempt to sing.

The gid auld days :agree:

Stuarty27
20-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Id rather go and watch my local junior team at the mintute, £4 to watch players who actually give 100% every week rather swaning about thinking they are big time charlie's who are actually only slightly better players that at that level.

The problem with todays scottish football is the price we pay as fans and the wages that are handed out to medicore players means there is no value for money at the minute. You have players get paid far too much money to care and you cannot relate to them. Least with the jnr players its the electrican that you have or the guy who sells you your bacon roll at the bakers.

Beefster
20-11-2011, 08:00 AM
:agree:

The next managerial appointment is crucial. If we get another dud like Clueless Colin were looking at 5,000 punters on a good day for home games.

Today was murder and I for one wont be renewing unless there is a vast improvement. How walk up fans can justify £22 for watching us just now is amazing..

Me neither. Sometimes I'm already looking for reasons not to go to games.

Which is unbelievable considering we've been terrible at throw-ins for years.

cad
20-11-2011, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Steve-O;2996075]

That's been happening since I started watching them in the 80's though! :greengrin

The 70s had Shades he could bung it a bit , after him tho its been awfi bad best part of 35/36 ish years now :rolleyes: :brickwall

Betty Boop
20-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I was there with my dad as a 10 year auld laddie :agree:

Can still remember it clear in my head 25 years later Stevie Cowan scoring from close in, Check oot the East terracing man!!! Thats when it was a mans game, Now its full of woman moaning at you and looking at you as if you have 2 heids when you attempt to sing.

The gid auld days :agree:

Sexist ! :greengrin

Nailrod
20-11-2011, 08:27 AM
My brother has been a Hibby and a regular walk-up for 50 years. This season was the first time he's ever invested in a full season, as it's a big outlay in a oner. We are now 15 league matches into the season, and he has yet to see a Hibs victory (he works evenings, so he missed St J). Realistically, his chances of avoiding getting to 2012 without seeing a win rest on Caley on 28th December, and at current levels of performance they will kick out erses. Even supposing we do contrive a win in that match, that will be more than half-way through the season.

I live on the other side of the world, so am spared the need to go to matches. It's not the guys who have lost interest who baffle me, it's the ones who keep turning up. By the end of 2011 we will have gone TWO FULL YEARS without ONE SINGLE memorable performance at Easter Road, and precisely ONE (3-0 at Ibrox) elsewhere. We've won one home match against SPL opposition since effing FEBRUARY. How in the name of God do fans manage to maintain any level of enthusiasm in the face of pitiful statistics like these? They have my unconditional admiration.

Craig_in_Prague
20-11-2011, 08:36 AM

Likewise, used to watch nearly all home games live (and for me it's at 4pm), but now I prefer to watch soccer saturday, rugby, darts or whatever else is on TV. Or go out and about with the wife if we've plans. Anything but watch Hibs........... Never used to be like that, the weekend would be worked around the game. I did get sucked in once to watch this season, Aberdeen at home........0-0....... I suppose it was a little reminder as to why I don't bother anymore.

In fact under Mowbray and then Collins, I'd make the effort to fly home for 4-5 games a season..........not been back since St J put us out the league cup in Sept 2009 under Yogi. The way we're heading I can't see me rushing back anytime soon either. It's depressing..

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Theres some really sad tales on here, unfortunately, i can relate entirely to almost all of them, sad times indeed.

sidjames
20-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I used to plan my visits around home games at ER. Last visit there was a home game on and I didn't go. I attend La Liga games regularly now and the games as well as crowds and atmosphere are so superior it is becoming harder to see Scottish Football as a serious professional league. I want my Hibs back.

NAE NOOKIE
20-11-2011, 09:24 PM
If Carlsberg did football fans.

It sure as hell widnae include most o' you lot ya spineless whinging fairweather baw bags.

I would rather spend my Saturdays with the 7 odd thousand who are prepared to stick with their team through this admittedly rubbish period than watch Edinburgh Rugby, or Bonnyrigg Rose or sodding Barcelona on the telly like you lot.

GGTTH

:flag:

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2011, 10:42 PM

It sure as hell widnae include most o' you lot ya spineless whinging fairweather baw bags.

I would rather spend my Saturdays with the 7 odd thousand who are prepared to stick with their team through this admittedly rubbish period than watch Edinburgh Rugby, or Bonnyrigg Rose or sodding Barcelona on the telly like you lot.

GGTTH

:agree: :top marks

Newhaven
20-11-2011, 10:48 PM

GGTTH

Well said that man!

jacomo
20-11-2011, 11:09 PM

GGTTH

All credit to you.

Hibs are a poor team, in a poor league. As well as our own troubles, the SPL's failure to try and change things is plain depressing.

Someone needs to knock the Old Firm off their mediocre ****ing perch.

Beefster
21-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Well said that man!

Em, didn't you just say that you wouldn't be renewing unless things improved?

Andy74
21-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I think all the cost, economic position, Scottish football standard and all that is interesting but ultimatley largely irrelevant.

The fact is we have been dire to watch at home now for a couple of years and over the last year in particular we are not making chances, getting stuck in or encouraging people in any way to come to the game and enjoy it.

I am now pretty isolated in my seat at the top of the East and it's a knock on effect, less people go, the atmosphere and enjoyment go down and you are sat there with no-one around making the experience even worse.

This is what I was trying to say about giving Billy Brown the job even as early as a half hour into the game.

We need something new, different and interesting to get people back. A totally new approach on the park.

Start providing a bit of entertainment and be competitive at home and all the other issues people might have will go away.

A creative player or two with a wee spark wouldn't go amiss. We might have slagged off the likes of Boozy, Benji and Zemmama when we had them but we are in dire need of a creative personality with a bit of flair.

I don't think that's Billy Brown's type!

Beefster
21-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I think all the cost, economic position, Scottish football standard and all that is interesting but ultimatley largely irrelevant.

The fact is we have been dire to watch at home now for a couple of years and over the last tear in particular we are not aking chances, getting stuck in or encouraging people in any way to come to the game and enjoy it.

I am now pretty isolated in my seat at the top of the East and it's a knock on effect, less people go, the atmosphere and enjoyment go down and youa re sat there with no-one around making the experience even worse.

This is what I was trying to say about giving Billy Brown the job even as early as a half hour into the game.

We need something new, different and interesting to get people back. A totally new approach on the park.

Start providing a bit of entertainment and be competitive at home and all the other issues people might have will go away.

A creative player or two with a wee spark wouldn't go amiss. We might have slagged off the likes of Boozy, Benji and Zemmama when we had them but we are in dire need of a creative personality with a bit of flair.

Couldn't agree more.

Andy74
21-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Afraid a whoever is appointed Manager is unlikely to remedy the abyss of mediocrity we are now in.

The continuous policy of failing to reinvest a reasonable chunk of the transfer income in some quality replacements is now taking it's toll.

And don't let's have the usual crap that we have invested sizeable sums in the likes of O'Brien & Makalamby etc.

In terms what Petrie has coined in fees, what percentage has been returned to the incumbent managers to reinvest ?

To my knowledge no official figures are ever published on transfers in/out, but i stand to be corrected by the bean counters who can provide the actual fees paid for say O'Brien & Makalamby, and the source of this information.

Now that the attendances are dwindling, perhaps Rod should have paid more attention to Abe Lincoln's maxim :-

"You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."

The likes of Benji, Zemmama, Boozy, Stokes, Miller, Sproule, Murphy, Shiels, Jones, Riordan and Bamba have all been achieved for free or small fees.

The real issue is that most of the recent managers haven't got enough of these types in and the most recent manager didn't get any.

We need a a manager to come in and do their job and really get the right quality in. we've shown in the past we can get players on our budget, we've just been going for the wrong ones.

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 12:09 PM

The fact is we have been dire to watch at home now for a couple of years and over the last year in particular we are not making chances, getting stuck in or encouraging people in any way to come to the game and enjoy it.

I am now pretty isolated in my seat at the top of the East and it's a knock on effect, less people go, the atmosphere and enjoyment go down and you are sat there with no-one around making the experience even worse.

I am not sure that's owt to do with the recession or football though :wink: :greengrin

MB62
21-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I am not sure that's owt to do with the recession or football though :wink: :greengrin

I've not lost interest to the point I wont be back, I am looking for a reason to go back. However, I have lost interest in paying £22 to watch crap fitba, played by a bunch of over paid prima donna's who look as though they don't give a stuff.
Even as a source of personal pride, I would expect more from our players, although sometimes I feel it is not a case of lack of effort rather than lack of intelligence.
For the umpteenth time, under various managers, we yet again need a clear out and start again policy as it seem the present lot are mostly not up to the job.

Give me something to shout about, not shout at, and I will be back in a shot.

Andy74
21-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Shut it you! :greengrin

Come and keep me company next time you are at ER. Wait a minute....

IWasThere2016
21-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Shut it you! :greengrin

Come and keep me company next time you are at ER. Wait a minute....

Oh drat! I was there Saturday in the East too - AA 101 (for some high altitude training!) - the sun was blinding 'til just after ko! PETRIE! :grr:

weecounty hibby
21-11-2011, 06:24 PM
It's not about losing interest but losing a will to turn up week after week to watch rubbish. I last had an ST five years ago and since then I can honestly say that I do miss going to ER and when I do go I get that buzz of excitement, but all too often lately I have left disappointed. Not only by results but by performances and the all round experience of ER nowadays. It just doesn't make you want to rush back.

I will always care about Hibs and will always go to ER back and forward but the drive to go every week has been taken away from me.

sahib
21-11-2011, 06:45 PM
It's not about losing interest but losing a will to turn up week after week to watch rubbish. I last had an ST five years ago and since then I can honestly say that I do miss going to ER and when I do go I get that buzz of excitement, but all too often lately I have left disappointed. Not only by results but by performances and the all round experience of ER nowadays. It just doesn't make you want to rush back.

I will always care about Hibs and will always go to ER back and forward but the drive to go every week has been taken away from me.

The new stand is looking like a bit of an errror to me now. Something smaller or two tier and close the top most games, would have been the way to go. Atmosphere is poor now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2011, 06:46 PM
The last paragraph of wee county hibees last post sums it up perfectly for me. Hibs - cannae live with them, cannae live without them!

Dashing Bob S
21-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Paul Sturrock

That will arouse about as much interest as a hairy minge in Gorgie.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2011, 06:51 PM
DBS - Thats very funny!

Newhaven
21-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Em, didn't you just say that you wouldn't be renewing unless things improved?

I know but I couldnt be bothered giving a full blown reply at the time :aok:

I admire the guys passion/commitment etc. but the botton line is that fans (and revenue) are decreasing atEaster Road. Thats not just my view but a stone cold fact.

On Saturday I went through the cash turnstille with my ST and myself and Hibby Paul noticed that for an adult and child to go to the game it would be £34. £22 adult and £12 concession. I defy anyone to say that £34 represents good value.