PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher Dark horse?

The Hurricane
18-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Heard a snippet from very good source that Terry Butcher is well in the frame for the job. Tried to get a bet on today at Macbet but their book has been closed saying Fenlon is nailed on. He was 12 to 1.
Great value if what I hear is right.

easty
18-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I wanted Butcher last time.....since then though he hasn't impressed much.

1987green
18-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Butcher is 12/1 with McBookie and they are still takin bets :greengrin

The Hurricane
18-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I wanted Butcher last time.....since then though he hasn't impressed much.

I would take him in a crack. Would take no sh-- from prima donnas and non triers

YehButNoBut
18-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Currently 6/1 with Paddy Power after being 20/1 a few days ago.

Must have been some money on him to cause this move.

The Hurricane
18-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Butcher is 12/1 with McBookie and they are still takin bets :greengrin

Who are Mcbookie?

YehButNoBut
18-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Who are Mcbookie?

http://www.mcbookie.co.uk/mcbookie

http://www.mcbookie.co.uk/mcbookie?action=GoEvClass&ev_class_id=195

:greengrin

Golden Bear
18-11-2011, 04:56 PM
The Beeb have just said that they know that neither Michael O'Neil nor Pat Fenlon have been interviewed for the job.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if at the end of the interview process, a total dark horse is appointed.

Aldo
18-11-2011, 05:11 PM
The Beeb have just said that they know that neither Michael O'Neil nor Pat Fenlon have been interviewed for the job.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if at the end of the interview process, a total dark horse is appointed.

GB how do the Beeb know anything about this.... Grasping at straws me thinks. Who knows whose been interviewed for the job. The club are playing their cards very close to their chest at the mo.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a choice between 3. I will say this however TB was an excellent leader on the park but has got most of his teams relegated or finished near the bottom. Not for me mate.

The Hurricane
18-11-2011, 05:20 PM

I have been told there has been defo contact

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Apart from leading Inverness to 7th, what has Butcher achieved as a manager?

CapitalHibs
18-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I have been told there has been defo contact

With the Dark Horse....or O'Neil/ Fenlon?

The Hurricane
18-11-2011, 05:25 PM
With the Dark Horse....or O'Neil/ Fenlon?

Butcher

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 05:30 PM
What has Terry Butcher done that would merit him being Hibs manager?:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-11-2011, 05:34 PM
What has Terry Butcher done that would merit him being Hibs manager?:confused: He knows how to get a relegated team out of the SFL and back into the SPL in one season.

Andy74
18-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Mainly failure. But he will sort people out? Great.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 05:37 PM
He knows how to get a relegated team out of the SFL and back into the SPL in one season.

I will bare that in mind should we ever get relegated.

Scorrie
18-11-2011, 05:40 PM

My point as well. Was reasonably Ok at Motherwell and ICT (though did get them relegated) Been murder elsewhere and soon punted. Agree that he is a no nonsense bloke and talks up Scottish fitba but not overwhelmed by his managerial career to date.

Wheat Hound
18-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I had heard a while back, pre CC being punted that Butcher was very much in the frame for the Hibs job. This came via a friend of Ewan Murray (Guardian Scottish football reporter) who I've no reason to doubt. I would not be at all surprised if TB was indeed appointed, as it would be in keeping with the recent trend of the bookies favorite not being appointed and a dark horse getting the gig (CC, Mowbray).

FWIW, I like TB. He has done well on tight budgets at both well and ICT (their being relegated under him was very similar to our situation with McLeish). OK, he has had poor spells at Brentford, Coventry and in Australia, but he has done well in the Scottish game and is definitely a 'leader of men.'

For well, he cultivated talents like McFadden, Pearson and Hammill, and got ICT promoted first time in style as well as following this up with a record breaking unbeaten away run last season and almost getting ICT in the top six on their first season back. OK, this year ICT have done poorly, but he did lose some key players and for me success for ICT is keeping them in the SPL. Additionally, he has beaten the OF a good few times with both well and ICT, and sets up his teams positively.

We shall see this week I suppose............................

ginger_rice
18-11-2011, 06:11 PM

A dark horse I can cope with just so long as it's not another horses arse :greengrin

roondheid
18-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Have always liked him, would be my preference over over Mon and PF.

To take a smaller club like ICT unbeaten on the road for a whole year, he has to have something about him

The Green Goblin
18-11-2011, 06:34 PM
This was the name I wondered about when Petrie said they were looking for a "leader" (former England WC Captain) and that they were prepared, if necessary, to go for someone "already in employment".

Not sure how he would fare at Hibs though. I can see one attraction being that he would probably stick out his contract and not jump ship early doors if things went well.

I leave it to others to judge whether or not he would be good for us. As I say, I am not sure.

GG

Eyrie
18-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd be underwhelmed by Butcher, although I'd hope he does us proud.

The Green Goblin
18-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Still, it leaves the possiblility open for the following sinister headline:

"Butcher axes first team squad"

:greengrin

GG

Jonnyboy
18-11-2011, 06:58 PM

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=dark+horse&hl=en&biw=1272&bih=833&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=71WxuQ0Rpk70sM:&imgrefurl=http://whatsyourbirthday.blogspot.com/2010/08/dont-date-him.html&docid=G5CREk1oXGqagM&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qRXRhleax4k/TMWwzJMeiNI/AAAAAAAAAM0/h4YPI9PVPOA/s1600/DarkHorse.gif&w=794&h=581&ei=vbjGTq_FDs2n8gOS59yCAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=179&vpy=190&dur=968&hovh=192&hovw=263&tx=163&ty=88&sig=107232263895233833641&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=181&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0

Dinnae get much darker than this :wink:

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Butcher would have us back amongst the top 5 rather than where we've been hovering the last 18 months.

One of the few names out do far who I'd actualy feel confident with.

Your all right though, anyone could have been interviewed, find out soon enough.

...WentToMowAnSPL
18-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Dinnae get much darker than this :wink:[/QUOTE]

Hibs unveil new manager ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flvxbw8YYM8

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Butcher would have us back amongst the top 5 rather than where we've been hovering the last 18 months.

One of the few names out do far who I'd actualy feel confident with.

Your all right though, anyone could have been interviewed, find out soon enough.

What do you base that opinion on?

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 09:31 PM
What do you base that opinion on?

WHat do you base any opinion on, your own thoughts and feeling on it, I think he would do well, he knows the game, is a leader, likes his team to play good football and can spot a player, with better resources at Hibs in a pish league like the SPL he should do fine.

Out of all candidates that I think we could attract we should be looking at guys like Butcher, experienced, commited, maybe be here longer than a season.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 09:39 PM
WHat do you base any opinion on, your own thoughts and feeling on it, I think he would do well, he knows the game, is a leader, likes his team to play good football and can spot a player, with better resources at Hibs in a pish league like the SPL he should do fine.

Out of all candidates that I think we could attract we should be looking at guys like Butcher, experienced, commited, maybe be here longer than a season.

Thats fine, yet after all you say, he's been sacked from every job he's had. Never won anything and been relegated too. He signed Hogg and Gatheussi, great player spotting, he did lead Inverness to the 1st division, or were they 2nd? Never the less great leadership i suppose. And he's finished 7th once in the SPL.

There are much better candidates than butcher, unless i have missed something else he's done in his managerial career?:confused:

edwards
18-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Butcher done well at Motherwell before going abroad a move he probably regrets he didn't see eye ot eye with the owner at all. he was a Scotland coach and also won the first division with Inverness.
He lost a few crucial players and hasn't got off to the best of starts. I was one who was prepared to give him a go based on the fact he spent time wi the OF and has a winning mentality.
He has had to work on lesser budgets at Motherwell and ICT and think he would make a good manager at a bigger club, the fact is if CC had been given the chance to see out his contract to the end of the season and we were or are still in a dog fight to stay up my money would be on Terry Butcher.

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats fine, yet after all you say, he's been sacked from every job he's had. Never won anything and been relegated too. He signed Hogg and Gatheussi, great player spotting, he did lead Inverness to the 1st division, or were they 2nd? Never the less great leadership i suppose. And he's finished 7th once in the SPL.

There are much better candidates than butcher, unless i have missed something else he's done in his managerial career?:confused:

Was he sacked by Motherwell, I thought he chose to leave for Brentford/

I can't think of any manager we're going to hire that has the experience and leadership qualities we need that's not been sacked, it's the market we're in.

Hogg, decent player for Caley's level so that's who he could attract, he managed to get Rooney also too. Gatheussi, well aye, I agree:greengrin

I'm not saying he's the best candidate, I hope we can get better but he wouldn't be a bad choice, all my opinion of course.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Was he sacked by Motherwell, I thought he chose to leave for Brentford/

I can't think of any manager we're going to hire that has the experience and leadership qualities we need that's not been sacked, it's the market we're in.

Hogg, decent player for Caley's level so that's who he could attract, he managed to get Rooney also too. Gatheussi, well aye, I agree:greengrin

I'm not saying he's the best candidate, I hope we can get better but he wouldn't be a bad choice, all my opinion of course.

This is his 20 year record as a manager.

Coventry - sacked
Sunderland - sacked
Motherwell - led them to mediocrity
Sydney FC - sacked
Partick Thistle Assistant - whoohoo
Brentford - sacked
Scotland assistant - sacked
ICT - relegated and then promoted then a whopping seventh.

Again, what do you see in that, that says he's the man for the job at Hibs?

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Coventry - sacked
Sunderland - sacked
Sydney FC - sacked
Brentford - sacked

Have my previous two posts not explained it enough for you? and you've posted this exact same post up on the PM board not that long ago, your thoughts are pretty clear, his record down south has been pretty poor, done well up here though, look at the size and budgst of Motherwell and ICT, mediocrity is good for Motherwell, ICT should be fighting to stay in the league, it's about relative success with these teams.

I'm not going to keep going over the same thing though, I'm not championing his cause, it's a choice of manager I'd be happy with but we'll see what comes of it.

Edit: Apologies it wasn't you, it was a re-post of one by Speedway. rest still stands though:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Have my previous two posts not explained it enough for you? and you've posted this exact same post up on the PM board not that long ago, your thoughts are pretty clear, his record down south has been pretty poor, done well up here though, look at the size and budgst of Motherwell and ICT, mediocrity is good for Motherwell, ICT should be fighting to stay in the league, it's about relative success with these teams.

I'm not going to keep going over the same thing though, I'm not championing his cause, it's a choice of manager I'd be happy with but we'll see what comes of it.

Dont see it myself, i certainly dont want a manager who's best work is mediocrity. If he'd made these clubs better, and had them punching above their weight then fine, i could see your point.

Not for me.

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Dont see it myself, i certainly dont want a manager who's best work is mediocrity. If he'd made these clubs better, and had them punching above their weight then fine, i could see your point.

Not for me.

So who is for you?

sixtwo
18-11-2011, 10:19 PM
More like a White donkey than a dark horse

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 10:22 PM
So who is for you?

I have no idea to be honest, its a lot easier saying who you dont want, than who you would like? I'd not mind Billy Davies or even Dave Jones, both are out of work at the moment but not sure they'd want to come to Scotland?

Strachan would do, decent record down south, took celtc further in europe than Martin O'neil with much less spending, beat Man U and drew with them away. Beat Milan too, but again, not sure he'd want the job?

HibeeSince85
18-11-2011, 10:27 PM
I have no idea to be honest, its a lot easier saying who you dont want, than who you would like? I'd not mind Billy Davies or even Dave Jones, both are out of work at the moment but not sure they'd want to come to Scotland?

Strachan would do, decent record down south, took celtc further in europe than Martin O'neil with much less spending, beat Man U and drew with them away. Beat Milan too, but again, not sure he'd want the job?

This is it, I actualy can't see any of them coming, and i'd take all before Butcher, that's why this time round, 'cause we've had loads of practise i'm trying to think of who we can get to do the job of rebuilding us, taking us back to where we should be in the top 4, to put something in place so that when it comes to the next guy, we can attract better, thats the logic i'm going with on this one.

If we do appoint any of the above I would be delighted:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Gary, would you be happy with Pat Fenlon or Michael O'Neill who have both done well with their respective Irish Clubs?

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Gary, would you be happy with Pat Fenlon or Michael O'Neill who have both done well with their respective Irish Clubs?

To be fair to them, i have no knowledge at all about Irish football. I have never watched one game, so have no real idea on how good or bad their achievements have been. I did watch spurs against shamrock rovers though, and they did put up a good show for an hour or so.

Listening to Fenlon, and what a Boh's fan said on another thread sounds better than i first thought, but as i said, i just dont know enough about them to have any real opinion on them?:dunno:

3pm
18-11-2011, 10:38 PM

Strachan! No more CL points than M O'N?

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Strachan! No more CL points than M O'N?

I never said he did, i said he took them further in europe. He took them out of the group and into the knockout stages, O'Neil did not. And Strachan had his budget slashed compared to O'Neils.

Dashing Bob S
18-11-2011, 10:43 PM

Coventry - sacked
Sunderland - sacked
Sydney FC - sacked
Brentford - sacked

Nutshell. Why is that so many people on this board think that we have to operate in bandwidth somewhere between mediocrity and failure? I'd much rather take a punt on excellence in the form on O'Neill, or even Fenlon, though I'm less convinced about him, than be certain of mediocrity with the possibility of failure by the Butchers, Jeffries, Jim Calderwoods etc.

Baldy Foghorn
18-11-2011, 10:44 PM
To be fair to them, i have no knowledge at all about Irish football. I have never watched one game, so have no real idea on how good or bad their achievements have been. I did watch spurs against shamrock rovers though, and they did put up a good show for an hour or so.

Listening to Fenlon, and what a Boh's fan said on another thread sounds better than i first thought, but as i said, i just dont know enough about them to have any real opinion on them?:dunno:

Agree, although I caught most of Shamrock v Spurs and O'Neill had them playing well......

3pm
18-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I never said he did, i said he took them further in europe. He took them out of the group and into the knockout stages, O'Neil did not. And Strachan had his budget slashed compared to O'Neils.

Agree re the budget.

The qualification was lucky if you compare both. 9 points is still a record in a CL group. The 'taken further' argument is a pile of ****, GS was luckier re the points needed.

Still a good achievement I hasten to add...

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Agree re the budget.

The qualification was lucky if you compare both. 9 points is still a record in a CL group. The 'taken further' argument is a pile of ****, GS was luckier re the points needed.

Still a good achievement I hasten to add...

Lucky i dont know, unless Strachan had managed the team O'Neil had we will never know? I dont know how lucky you have to be to beat Man United, i thought you made your own luck in football?

IFONLY
19-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Heard a snippet from very good source that Terry Butcher is well in the frame for the job. Tried to get a bet on today at Macbet but their book has been closed saying Fenlon is nailed on. He was 12 to 1.
Great value if what I hear is right.

Is it not his sister Pat Butcher from Eastenders, that I.M.O. would be a better choice

joe breezy
19-11-2011, 06:37 AM
He's done well given the resources available to him, are Inverness really a top flight side? Not a club you'd expect to be in the SPL on a regular basis really..

And he did pretty well at Motherwell.

You just can't tell with some managers - their record doesn't always reflect how they will perform in their next job.

I wouldn't mind if Butcher got it and made Hibs successful - I think we'd have a better chance with him than a Bohemians manager or the likes of Calderwood or Brown.

MrRobot
19-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Not for me at all. I'd rather we paid good money and got in somebody most other seems couldn't afford.

Strachan or Billy Davies would be good.

smurf
19-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Not for me at all. I'd rather we paid good money and got in somebody most other seems couldn't afford.

Strachan or Billy Davies would be good.

I will be really disappointed if we haven't approached these two. I think both are realistic and achievable targets.

keep the faith
19-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Butcher done well at Motherwell before going abroad a move he probably regrets he didn't see eye ot eye with the owner at all. he was a Scotland coach and also won the first division with Inverness.
He lost a few crucial players and hasn't got off to the best of starts. I was one who was prepared to give him a go based on the fact he spent time wi the OF and has a winning mentality.
He has had to work on lesser budgets at Motherwell and ICT and think he would make a good manager at a bigger club, the fact is if CC had been given the chance to see out his contract to the end of the season and we were or are still in a dog fight to stay up my money would be on Terry Butcher.

Good post. I would have no problem with butcher in charge.

Eyrie
19-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Butcher is Jimmy Calderwood without the tan. A good appointment if you want mid-table mediocrity, but not someone with a track record of achieving much more than that.

An established candidate has to have a good track record (ie Strachan, who I'd guess isn't interested in leaving his media work). Davies don't interest me because I can see him falling out with the board very quickly, and would only be looking to keep himself busy until he can get another job down south.

The alternative is a promising young manager like O'Neill or Fenlon, which would be my preference.

MrRobot
19-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Butcher is Jimmy Calderwood without the tan. A good appointment if you want mid-table mediocrity, but not someone with a track record of achieving much more than that.

An established candidate has to have a good track record (ie Strachan, who I'd guess isn't interested in leaving his media work). Davies don't interest me because I can see him falling out with the board very quickly, and would only be looking to keep himself busy until he can get another job down south.

The alternative is a promising young manager like O'Neill or Fenlon, which would be my preference.

I think the problem with them though is that they are from the Irish leagues and instead of going for somebody who is promising, to make sure we don't make the same mistakes, we should try to get somebody established. With Fenlon he is somebody that other SPL clubs tried to get and I want us to go above that level and get somebody other teams wouldnt be able to get. Strachan and Davies I think are realistic.

fatbloke
19-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Terry Butcher Dark Horse[/B]

Chris Hogg/Shelton Martis/Colin Murdock

Absolute donkeys