PDA

View Full Version : More and more impressed with Billy Brown

Hibee_Dave
18-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I've just watched the interviews BB has done with the BBC and HTV and the more I listen to him, the more impressed I am by him. Maybe it's the novelty of hearing a Hibs manager (caretaker) who can actually conduct an interview in a witty and articulate fashion but also it's the knowledge that he is a safe pair of hands who has been a major part of success at a 'club' before now and has seen it all before.

The one thing we need now is stability and safety and then to build from there. I'm starting to think that BB could be the man. Unlike Fenlon or O'Neill he also has detailed knowledge in the Scottish game and I'm sure he also has plenty of contacts as well.

Plus, as the yams sacked him I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to thump them! :bgwa:

Speedway
18-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I've just watched the interviews BB has done with the BBC and HTV and the more I listen to him, the more impressed I am by him. Maybe it's the novelty of hearing a Hibs manager (caretaker) who can actually conduct an interview in a witty and articulate fashion but also it's the knowledge that he is a safe pair of hands who has been a major part of success at a 'club' before now and has seen it all before.

The one thing we need now is stability and safety and then to build from there. I'm starting to think that BB could be the man. Unlike Fenlon or O'Neill he also has detailed knowledge in the Scottish game and I'm sure he also has plenty of contacts as well.

Plus, as the yams sacked him I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to thump them! :bgwa:

I'm actually going the other way after listening to him. He seems a technically excellent coach and I think that he should be accomodated under a new manager if that was in any way possible.

However, I don't think he's the man for the job.

Hibbyradge
18-11-2011, 09:28 AM
He's really good at shouting at players.

He'll do for me !

Elephant Stone
18-11-2011, 09:34 AM

That's all it is really, we've got absolutely no idea how his team would perform if he was a manager so it's far too early to decide if he's the man for the job IMO. I'd like him to stay on as a coach/assistant but I think we need a guy who's got experience of managing.

TrinityHibs
18-11-2011, 09:40 AM
3 o'clock on Saturday is the first test

bingo70
18-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I've enjoyed his interviews as well, IMO it's refreshing hearing a manager who just seems to say what he thinks and isn't pussy footing round the players.

I'm sure he'd be a safe pair of hands if he does get the job, whether thats what we need now though i'm not so sure, i'd rather he stayed on as assistant with a view to taking over if the new guy is a success and eventually moves on.

Promoting an assistant from a team that is struggling isn't the answer IMO.

Andy74
18-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Both Fenlon and O'Neill have plenty knowledge of the Scottish game.

keep the faith
18-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Funny enough I was put off by his interviews. I thought the sales pitch for the job through the press was a bit full on. I would have preferred that being kept for his job interview and his public focus being on tomorrows game.

I know I'm being fickle!

Spike Mandela
18-11-2011, 10:09 AM
All the guys quoted as in with shout of the job have their merits but will be hamstrung by the quality, ability and attitude of the players.

Whoever gets the job deserves our support and the time to change it with I suspect very little cash.

I still think the target for any new man this year is to get this squad of players no worse than 11th.

alfieboi75
18-11-2011, 10:15 AM
I would like BB to get the managers job as well as good team performances, starting tomorrow.

He has got the opportunity to show his experience for tomorrows game, and the next game maybe.

I do hope it works for him as he has shown positives so far.

DC_Hibs
18-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Spot on Trinners, remember all those creaming themselves over Yogi's interviews at first.

"Oooh you can feel the passion, so inspirational, he's one of us".

Talk is cheap, lets get a succession of three points in the onion bag you flippin' fud fearing fools.

Regards

Beefster
18-11-2011, 10:27 AM
After the utter shambles of the last few managers and the need for Hibs to make the right appointment this time or it all goes tits up, folk are now wanting Brown to get the job based on a couple of media interviews? Seriously?

greenlex
18-11-2011, 10:27 AM
3 o'clock on Saturday is the first test Abso ****ing lutely

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2011, 11:22 AM
On the pitch is all that matters.

Craig_in_Prague
18-11-2011, 11:52 AM
After the utter shambles of the last few managers and the need for Hibs to make the right appointment this time or it all goes tits up, folk are now wanting Brown to get the job based on a couple of media interviews? Seriously?

Internet media folks ken what's goan on.

Musselbound
18-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Funny enough I was put off by his interviews. I thought the sales pitch for the job through the press was a bit full on. I would have preferred that being kept for his job interview and his public focus being on tomorrows game.

I know I'm being fickle!

Agree. I didn't actually here a word about tomorrow's game. Plenty talk about what he's done with JJ, which is irrelevant at the moment and I thought he let the press practically interview him again.

Witty and articulate? Sorry I didn't see that. He comes across as an honest pro which is no bad thing. Maybe a better first team coach than manager but results will tell on that if he's given a chance. Fed up hearing about how well/badly our managers come across in interviews. I'm just hoping for a big improvement on the park and will welcome whoever can provide that.

Craig_in_Prague
18-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Agree. I didn't actually here a word about tomorrow's game. Plenty talk about what he's done with JJ, which is irrelevant at the moment and I thought he let the press practically interview him again.

Witty and articulate? Sorry I didn't see that. He comes across as an honest pro which is no bad thing. Maybe a better first team coach than manager but results will tell on that if he's given a chance. Fed up hearing about how well/badly our managers come across in interviews. I'm just hoping for a big improvement on the park and will welcome whoever can provide that.

He mentioned the good old 'Soft touch' again......that Hibs are now renowned for........ Can he / will he change anything? I thought Hughes would have sorted us out......then CC was an international defender who's played in a world cup, in the top English league for years etc.......and didn't sort it............

Not sure how much impact we can expect in 1 weeks training and 1 match under BB, but fingers crossed we see some sort of additional effort, team work and committment, but we need 3 points more than anything tomorrow.

ahibby
18-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Some will say that he has had an influence on the last few games without success (barring the draw away to Celtic). Others will say Saturday will be the first sign of his influence. I go with the former thinking. Also I don't think that any new manager should be forced to keep on an assistant; they should get to bring in their own number 2.

Andy74
18-11-2011, 01:34 PM
If JJ hadn't been sacked and BB was still No 2 at Hearts how many of us would have been encouraging the Board to go out and get BB in as manager?? Not me.

Dashing Bob S
18-11-2011, 01:40 PM

No, I don't think you can judge him on that. He needs time to get his ideas across and a couple of transfer windows to get the squad he wants and then another few months to have them playing the way he wants...

JimBHibees
18-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm actually going the other way after listening to him. He seems a technically excellent coach and I think that he should be accomodated under a new manager if that was in any way possible.
However, I don't think he's the man for the job.

Personally would be really disappointed if whoever the new manager doesnt bring his own staff in to work alongside and support him. IMO it is vital they have a team of staff to help them get the best out of the squad, having an assistant who you either dont know or wouldnt choose yourself is a recipe for disaster especially one who may have originally wanted the job and might subconciously at least want you to fail.

JimBHibees
18-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Some will say that he has had an influence on the last few games without success (barring the draw away to Celtic). Others will say Saturday will be the first sign of his influence. I go with the former thinking. Also I don't think that any new manager should be forced to keep on an assistant; they should get to bring in their own number 2.

Absolutely.

At The Edge
18-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Personally would be really disappointed if whoever the new manager doesnt bring his own staff in to work alongside and support him. IMO it is vital they have a team of staff to help them get the best out of the squad, having an assistant who you either dont know or wouldnt choose yourself is a recipe for disaster especially one who may have originally wanted the job and might subconciously at least want you to fail.

Imagine that BB gets the job, hes looking to bring in a 2nd in command, who does he go for?
All his days in management have been as a no.2 to Jeffries and i would imagine a lot of the same faces will have followed them around?
Who else will he have worked with at a management type level?
John Robertson as the new no.2?

Speedway
18-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Bobby's going to have to cool it now if he wants to bring a new edition of Hibs to the table.

At The Edge
18-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Bobby's going to have to cool it now if he wants to bring a new edition of Hibs to the table.

I see what you did there! :greengrin

Stevie Reid
18-11-2011, 02:01 PM

I guess he's gonna have to take control

poolman
18-11-2011, 03:41 PM
:hmmm:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?207304-Billy-Brown-Yam-Fud&highlight=hibs+class+v+hearts+class

PeterboroHibee
18-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Id like to see what he can do over the next few games but I have been quite impressed with him so far (interviews count for nothing however if he cant get results come Saturday).

Fenlon and O'Neill are fairly uninspiring options for the next manager so would rather we at least gave Brown a chance before rushing in to appoint anyone.

Eyrie
18-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I'll wait until he's got a few games under his belt and we can judge him on performances.

Per today's Scotsman O'Neill "would be happy to work with Brown". No indication of timescale or role, but I can't see Brown settling for anything less than the assistant's job. We already know Fenlon has a regular assistant in O'Brien, but does O'Neill?

nortonhibby
18-11-2011, 07:17 PM

the spinny wheel thing he does with his hands is very impresive no sure what it means though.

Makaveli
18-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I'll wait until he's got a few games under his belt and we can judge him on performances.

Per today's Scotsman O'Neill "would be happy to work with Brown". No indication of timescale or role, but I can't see Brown settling for anything less than the assistant's job. We already know Fenlon has a regular assistant in O'Brien, but does O'Neill?

Can't answer that but O'Neill was assisted by Gareth Evans at Brechin. I don't know where that would leave Brown.