PDA

View Full Version : Billy Brown has been interviewed

Stevie Reid
17-11-2011, 01:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15744981.stm

Beefster
17-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy, decent coach and everything but would be the wrong appointment at the moment.

Sir David Gray
17-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I've heard worse suggestions over the past few days.

Cabbage East
17-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Not going to happen.

--------

Only right he should be. Now we wait to see what effect he has on the players when he's working on his own...

I know Fenlon and O'Neill won't suit some here, but their teams have been playing in Europe and aren't disgracing themselves (not like we've done the last few times we've been in...), so I just wonder if that's the direction the board are moving in.

Photo of O'Neill there - he doesn't look like a softy to me...

silverhibee

Hope Hibs can get better than BB to be the next manager.

Stevie Reid
17-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Hope Hibs can get better than BB to be the next manager.

If Brown is appointed I would support him 100%, but he would not be my first choice.

I would ideally like him to remain on the coaching staff, if the new man wishes him to be there - I've nothing against Gareth Evans but I am unsure how he is still at ER, and would think that BB would be a far better first team coach.

Diclonius
17-11-2011, 01:59 PM
He'd better prove himself on Saturday then.

Purehibee_MYB
17-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see him stay on in some sort of role, because I do believe there have been glimpses of improvement since he joined, he gives a bit of firepower and passion, but I wouldn't like him as manager...of course if he is appointed he will get 100% of my support!

Albion Hibs
17-11-2011, 02:32 PM
For me it should be his to lose. He came to us when we were in a poor league position getting as much of a hard time from our own fans as we were the media. To simply turn round and bump him off for some fans constant quest for just having something new would be wrong in my opinion.

I am not saying he should be given a three year contract, but the job until the end of the season. If we are going to get another manager, then chances are it might be one that is out of work, and generally I would think that is as a result of poor performance in their previous job. If BB does well then we have landed our man, if not we get a new manager in towards the end of the season, meaning less comp if he is already in a job, and the chance to build from the start of a transfer window.

Andy74
17-11-2011, 04:18 PM
23 years and no-one has given him a manager's job yet. Why would we at a time when the right manager is critical for us? I'd think it is more of a courtesy than anything.

Big Frank
17-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see him stay on in some sort of role, because I do believe there have been glimpses of improvement since he joined, he gives a bit of firepower and passion, but I wouldn't like him as manager...of course if he is appointed he will get 100% of my support!

Agreed.

He showed more passion for our club in 10mins in the dugout than clueless did in a year!

He's not our next manager, but there is definately a place for BB at Hibernian imo

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Brown appears to be an effective second in control and without question, he had a positive impact on the team when he was brought in. Whoever comes in will want the backroom set up to their own liking. Sentiment should be set aside, because the existing coaches that were there under Calderwood, were not able to do what Brown did, and I am led to believe that what he did wasn't exactly rocket surgery.

Jones28
17-11-2011, 05:30 PM
He should have been without question.

Lets not say that BB for manager is a poor choice until we've actually seen him in action :agree:

Seveno
17-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Brown did nothing to get our defence organised. Losing the same type of goal week after week smacks of poor organisation.

HKhibby
17-11-2011, 06:02 PM
at least give Billy Brown 3/4 games! to prove himself!, the guy knowes the inside outs of Scottish football, yes maybe as an Assistant but that doesnt take it away from him, leave him in the caretakers job for now, see how he does!, can do no worse in my opinion than Calderwood or Hughes!, he has a bit of get up about go about him too! not like the idiots we've had in recent years!, if he does ok in that time leave him there until the end of the season...sure as hell he wont get us relegated!...maybe not win much! apart from mid-table or maybe just maybe 6th place, but if i were Hibs board....definatly would not be going after O Neil or Fenlon!, may be wrong but i dont think so!

bingo70
17-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Brown did nothing to get our defence organised. Losing the same type of goal week after week smacks of poor organisation.

TBF we don't know what his role was with the defence at east mains, for all we know CC maybe insisted on working with the defenders while Brown did work with the attackers or CC maybe had specific drills he wanted BB to do, there's also the possibility we've been playing with players that Brown wouldn't play.

I don't think we can blame Brown for not being able to turn it round himself since he came in while CC had the final say on everything that can be done, all we could ask for was for us to improve and i think we did.

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Have to say that after watching his interview I would like to see him given the job. At least until the end of the season.

He comes across as committed, buoyant, up front and up for the challenge.

If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but I'd like to see him given the job :agree:

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 06:19 PM

What a stupid statement to make :confused:

Brown has clearly stated that he took training sessions as per CC's instructions and that he would do things differently.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2011, 06:24 PM
If Brown was not at the club, who in their right mind would want him appointed as our new manager? Its ludicrous he's even in the frame imo.

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy, decent coach and everything but would be the wrong appointment at the moment.

We all have our own thoughts, which is fair enough, but could you explain why it would be the wrong appointment "at the moment"?

I'd have thought, given what's happened to us over the last few years that he's exactly what we need at the moment.. IMHO of course.

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 06:34 PM
If Brown was not at the club, who in their right mind would want him appointed as our new manager? Its ludicrous he's even in the frame imo.

But he is at our club :agree: That's why he's being considered :agree:

If he's deemed good enough to be employed by the club as assistant manager to the first team, why shouldn't he be considered?

:confused:

Andy74
17-11-2011, 06:44 PM

If he's deemed good enough to be employed by the club as assistant manager to the first team, why shouldn't he be considered?

Two very different jobs. Who is the current Man U assistant? Will they get the big gig when Fergie goes?

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Is Gareth Evans in the frame? I have no doubt he's been doing a decent job as number 2 to Jeffries over the years, but i'd like someone else please.

bingo70
17-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Two very different jobs. Who is the current Man U assistant? Will they get the big gig when Fergie goes?

I think Houston getting the job at Dundee Utd after a career as assistant manager is maybe a better comparison and he's done a pretty good job.

That said i do share your concerns about giving him the job, i've been really impressed by everything he's had to say and he appears to have a great attitude, however IMO assistants are better taking over jobs when they'd just be continuing good work done by the previous manager and providing continuation, i'm not so sure it works so well for an assistant to take over a job where the clubs been struggling, is he really the new voice the changing room needs to freshen things up? I genuinely don't know.

All that said i think he's bound to better than the clown and i think at the very least he'd be a safe pare of hands so i really wouldn't be dissapointed if he gets the job.

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Two very different clubs :agree:

You can't compare Sir Alex to Colin Calderwood :agree:

Plenty of examples where assistants have taken over and done a good job...

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Is Gareth Evans in the frame? I have no doubt he's been doing a decent job as number 2 to Jeffries over the years, but i'd like someone else please.

Gareth Evans hasn't been/wasn't an assistant manager :agree:

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Two very different clubs :agree:

You can't compare Sir Alex to Colin Calderwood :agree:

Not true, whenever a manager is having a hard time, and results are not what we would like. Ferguson is always quoted, imaging if Robins had not scored that goal against Nottingham Forrest? He'd have been sacked if he'd lost that game. Even though thats been denied by the chairman at the time, Edwards i think?

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Not true, whenever a manager is having a hard time, and results are not what we would like. Ferguson is always quoted, imaging if Robins had not scored that goal against Nottingham Forrest? He'd have been sacked if he'd lost that game. Even though thats been denied by the chairman at the time, Edwards i think?

I have no idea what your statement is supposed to mean :confused:

What I am sure of is that you can't compare the first team management role at Man Utd with the same position at Hibs. Of course Mike Phelan is very unlikely to appointed manager when Sir Alex retires. What a stupid suggestion?

The size of the club would suggest that they need someone of greater managerial experience and status when you consider they compete at the top end of all competitions (Champs league/english premiership) and are littered with top class international players.

We on the other hand are currently languishing down the foot of the table in the spl. With that in mind it wouldn't be unreasonable to consider our current caretaker manager.

Andy74
17-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I have no idea what your statement is supposed to mean :confused:

What I am sure of is that you can't compare the first team management role at Man Utd with the same position at Hibs. Of course Mike Phelan is very unlikely to appointed manager when Sir Alex retires. What a stupid suggestion?

The size of the club would suggest that they need someone of greater managerial experience and status when you consider they compete at the top end of all competitions (Champs league/english premiership) and are littered with top class international players.

We on the other hand are currently languishing down the foot of the table in the spl. With that in mind it wouldn't be unreasonable to consider our current caretaker manager.

Alright for us though eh? I think that's rubbish. Different clubs but different standard of people accordingly. The same principles apply. We should be getting the best available to us. I'd question whether someone who has been 23 years an assistant should get one of the top jobs in the country now.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Alright for us though eh? I think that's rubbish. Different clubs but different standard of people accordingly. The same principles apply. We should be getting the best available to us. I'd question whether someone who has been 23 years an assistant should get one of the top jobs in the country now.

This

SquashedFrogg
17-11-2011, 08:37 PM

I'm not suggesting he's the best available, just not prepared to compare the Hibs job in the same terms as the Man Utd job. Yes, we should be getting the best available to us. But who that person is could be selected from dozens of candidates. Most of which have won next to hee haw as managers so therefor could be classed as a gamble. (MO'N, Davies, Calderwood, etc)

What I am suggesting is that there's probably only 2 or 3 managers in world football who would be the 'best available' when the Man Utd job comes up. And I'd suggest those candidates have won various honours as managers. (Pep, Mourihno, etc)

Hence my reason for stating why you can't compare the two clubs when it comes to appointing managers.

Countless assistant managers have been promoted into the managers position over many years and will continue to do so.

Aldo
17-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Seveno

Why should Brown be blamed for this. We had a manager who played international level and for Spurs at CH and yet he couldn't sort it.

Sorry but this isn't Browns mess ENDOF.

CC didn't have a scooby bout the Back 4.

Sir David Gray
17-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Maybe he just got too comfortable in his role as being number two to Jefferies over the years and in the short time that he's spent at Hibs, away from Jefferies for the first time in such a long time, perhaps has made him re-evaluate his ambitions within football and he wants to have a crack at being the main man.

I don't think the fact that he's never been a manager before, necessarily means that we would be hiring someone who had never been considered for a management job before.

Albion Hibs
17-11-2011, 09:57 PM

23 years experience, not bad is it...quite bizarre that many of the same people that are saying no to brown are ones that have said they want someone with experience. Does not really add up for me.

The reality is for a long time he has been part of a successful management team, he no longer is and perhaps sees this as his opportunity. I guess it comes does to how much value you place on 23 years experience, mostly in scotland, versus a few achievements in the irish league over a period of 3 or 4 years. I know which CV I would find more impressive, you?

As I said in my first post on this thread there are some that want a constant change and the "oh I wonder if..." to feature constantly at Hibs, I am not surprised to see a few of them on here stating they have no interest in brown.

ekhibee
17-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I would never rule Brown out of this job, I think he could very well have more than enough ability to undertake the Hibs job at the moment. During his interview on the BBC website, he more or less touched on the fact that whoever is in charge has got these players whether they like or not, the manager just has to make the most of what is currently available to him. I would be very surprised if he was given the manager's job and didn't try to make at least some changes to the squad in the winter break, and the next transfer window after that (if he was to become manager). Wouldn't rule out either Fenlon or O'Neill, but would maybe give Brown a chance, at least till the winter break, to see what he can do. O'Neill seemed to spend big in Ireland, although I'm not sure what qualifies as big in the Irish transfer market, and Fenlon was good a couple of years ago, but Bohemians only finished 5th in the Irish League last season, so to me anyway, the jury's out on both of them. Would love to have seen Strachan as manager but it's a total non-starter, as is Davies IMO, he might well want to stay in championship or even lower Premiership level.

Andy74
18-11-2011, 09:45 AM
23 years experience, not bad is it...quite bizarre that many of the same people that are saying no to brown are ones that have said they want someone with experience. Does not really add up for me.

The reality is for a long time he has been part of a successful management team, he no longer is and perhaps sees this as his opportunity. I guess it comes does to how much value you place on 23 years experience, mostly in scotland, versus a few achievements in the irish league over a period of 3 or 4 years. I know which CV I would find more impressive, you?

As I said in my first post on this thread there are some that want a constant change and the "oh I wonder if..." to feature constantly at Hibs, I am not surprised to see a few of them on here stating they have no interest in brown.

It's not difficult is it. He has experience as an assistant manager but none as a manager. Very different jobs and Brown has already been saying as Assistant he just had to go along with what CC wanted and he would now change things.

Brown is in the papers this morning saying he has been an assistant so long because no other jobs had been bigger than the assistant ones he had been in.

So, the Hibs job had been available several times during that period. I'm assuming what he is saying is the Hibs job is not as big as the assistant jobs at Killie and Hearts and it's only bigger now because he doesn't have any other job than here?

--------
18-11-2011, 04:58 PM
It's not difficult is it. He has experience as an assistant manager but none as a manager. Very different jobs and Brown has already been saying as Assistant he just had to go along with what CC wanted and he would now change things.

Brown is in the papers this morning saying he has been an assistant so long because no other jobs had been bigger than the assistant ones he had been in.

So, the Hibs job had been available several times during that period. I'm assuming what he is saying is the Hibs job is not as big as the assistant jobs at Killie and Hearts and it's only bigger now because he doesn't have any other job than here?

It isn't difficult to quote the man fully and accurately either, Andy. You completely misinterpret what the man says - to his detriment.

If this is the interview you're thinking of, I think you'll see that he doesn't say that assistant at Killie or Hearts is a bigger job than managing Hibs - he says that every job he had a chance of gettingwasn't as good as the one he was in at the time. There's a difference. Not least that if he knew he had no chance of a particular job, he must at least have been considering it, possibly even put out some feelers.

Besides, he must have got on well with Jefferies or they wouldn't have been together 23 years. That's part of what makes up a person's 'job'.

And a lot depends on how the two of them interacted - I've never thought that Brown was no more than JJ's water-boy. I can fully understand that at the times the Hibs job was available he found himself in a situation he didn't want to leave right then. But now the opening's there, and he's available. That's all.

This the quote you're thinking of?

He said: "Look, when I started off with Jim 23 years ago with Berwick, I didn't intend to be an assistant manager all that time. But every job I had a chance of getting wasn't as good as the job I was in at the time.

"If people thought it was lack of ambition, I didn't think it was. If you know me, I've always been ambitious, but there weren't any bigger jobs I could get. Being the assistant manager of Hearts is a big job. But now, the manager of Hibs is better than the assistant manager of Hibs.

"I never ever thought it had passed me by. I always wanted to do it. And you know the way Jim and I ran our clubs - I have been very instrumental in all the decisions. So here's my chance if I get it."

Andy74
18-11-2011, 05:10 PM
It isn't difficult to quote the man fully and accurately either, Andy. You completely misinterpret what the man says - to his detriment.

If this is the interview you're thinking of, I think you'll see that he doesn't say that assistant at Killie or Hearts is a bigger job than managing Hibs - he says that every job he had a chance of gettingwasn't as good as the one he was in at the time. There's a difference. Not least that if he knew he had no chance of a particular job, he must at least have been considering it, possibly even put out some feelers.

Besides, he must have got on well with Jefferies or they wouldn't have been together 23 years. That's part of what makes up a person's 'job'.

And a lot depends on how the two of them interacted - I've never thought that Brown was no more than JJ's water-boy. I can fully understand that at the times the Hibs job was available he found himself in a situation he didn't want to leave right then. But now the opening's there, and he's available. That's all.

This the quote you're thinking of?

He said: "Look, when I started off with Jim 23 years ago with Berwick, I didn't intend to be an assistant manager all that time. But every job I had a chance of getting wasn't as good as the job I was in at the time.

"If people thought it was lack of ambition, I didn't think it was. If you know me, I've always been ambitious, but there weren't any bigger jobs I could get. Being the assistant manager of Hearts is a big job. But now, the manager of Hibs is better than the assistant manager of Hibs.

"I never ever thought it had passed me by. I always wanted to do it. And you know the way Jim and I ran our clubs - I have been very instrumental in all the decisions. So here's my chance if I get it."

I didn't see the full quote, just the reporting of it.

The full quotes don't look much better for him. So he has never had a sniff of a job that was better than the assistant ones he had.

It's really saying the only chance he has of this one is because he happens to have found himself here as Assistant at this time.

I find it difficult to see why he has a chance this time after 23 years of never having got close to a decent manager's position?

hibsbollah
18-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Theres plenty of examples in world football of number 2s going on to better things as managers in their own right after years and years being assistants to someone else. Being an assistant for years shouldnt preclude Brown from being considered as a serious candidate.