PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen 17th December

BS44
16-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Looking at getting the choo choo to this match. Anyone tell me how long it takes to walk from Pittodrie to the station? Game should finish
roughly 14.15, the cheap train home is 14.50. Would I make the 14.50 train OK?

Nakedmanoncrack
16-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Looking at getting the choo choo to this match. Anyone tell me how long it takes to walk from Pittodrie to the station? Game should finish

Assuming leaving Pittodrie at 14.15 you would catch the train in 35 mins.

Barney McGrew
16-11-2011, 08:11 PM
It's a good couple of miles from the ground to the station, I reckon you'd be cutting it pretty fine

bigstu
16-11-2011, 08:37 PM

about a 20-25 minute walk

Nakedmanoncrack
16-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Roughly the same as Easter Road to Waverley, 12.30 KO though so maybe after 14.15 when you get out, would still be confident of catching it even if you need to break into a jog to be sure.

iwasthere1972
16-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Aberdeen train station is over two miles from the ground and is quite a walk (around 25-30 mins). Best to jump in a taxi up to the ground. However if you want to brave the walk:

Upon leaving the station turn left and walk across the bridge and then turn right. This brings you into Union Street, where you should walk down until its end, where you will reach Castle Gate. Home supporters should bear left into King Street (A956) and continue down this street before turning right into Merkland Road for the ground. Away supporters should proceed through the Castle Gate and into Park Street. This street eventually becomes Golf Road and you will come to Pittodrie on your left.

Obviously you would have to do that journey in reverse. It's 10 years since I was last at Pittodrie (night match and got beat 2-0). Down 1-0 with a few minutes to go and Nick Colgan came up to join the attack. He shouldn't have bothered as an Aberdeen player gathered the ball in his own half, ran past Nick Colgan and slotted it in for 2-0. :hilarious It's not a bad walk but if you're pressed for time then you would be better jumping in a :taxi or borrowing Sproule's running boots.

BS44
16-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Roughly the same as Easter Road to Waverley, 12.30 KO though so maybe after 14.15 when you get out, would still be confident of catching it even if you need to break into a jog to be sure.

Is the route straight forward? I will be walking to the stadium before the match but I need the quickest route back.

And I don't mind jogging back. If Hibs get beat I could punch the first (smallest/oldest/weakest) Aberdeen fan I see and get a chase up the
road. :whistle:

iwasthere1972
16-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Is the route straight forward? I will be walking to the stadium before the match but I need the quickest route back.

And I don't mind jogging back. If Hibs get beat I could punch the first (smallest/oldest/weakest) Aberdeen fan I see and get a chase up the
road. :whistle:

Go on Google Street View and do a virtual walk. Mind and stop for a breather and grab yourself a bottle of water on Union Street. :aok:

It's not Land's End to John O'Groats. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
16-11-2011, 10:13 PM
about a 20-25 minute walk

Yup - easily done with a brisk walk

Irish_Steve
16-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I used to live near the ground and could easily walk in in 20 mins but then again, I knew all the wee short-cuts. The main problem you`ll have will be bumping into fans or even the possibility of the police directing you away from King street. I remember having to walk for miles around the ground and it was no good showing police officers my driver`s license with my home address it in!

DAVE1875
16-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Follow the crowd, away fans heading for the train station usually tend to stick together, plus I'd think most of them would be wanting to get the same train. I'll probably be walking to Union Square after the match as well but that would be to get to the bus station instead.

Once you get out of the away stand follow Park Street south until you get to the roundabout, cross over to Justice Street which leads you onto Union Street, walk to the Vue Cinema entrance and continue left along Shiprow until you get to Market Street and then just walk along Guild Street until you get to the Union Square entrance. Should take you about 20-25 minutes, depends how fast a walker you are. You probably know they way anyway but I've found for me that that is the quickest route walking.

Baldy Foghorn
17-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Get a supporter's bus, they park next to the ground and much easier...........

wearethehibs
17-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Get a supporter's bus, they park next to the ground and much easier........... Yeah but you don't get to do your own thing and you can't sit back and have a casual beer. Train is always better than bus imo.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah but you don't get to do your own thing and you can't sit back and have a casual beer. Train is always better than bus imo.

:agree:

Train always more enjoyable, don't be surprised if there is a strictly enforced alcohol ban on return journey though.

Billy Whizz
17-11-2011, 07:27 PM

The game is unlikely to finish much before 2.25pm so unless you have a taxi outside the ground you're unlikely to catch the 2.50pm