PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dunfermline to close North Stand

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Just seen on SSN that Dunfermline are to close their North Stand for cost cutting measures. That's the over spill stand we get with the car park behind it. Could Dunfermline be in financial trouble too or is this purely a prevention. Raith Rovers have went the same way by closing their Railway Stand and removing the seats from it. This has all come about since the SFA bullied these clubs into redeveloping their grounds to make them 10,000 all seater's minimum requirement's to get into the SPL years ago. Now these clubs toil to get 3000 a week and are having to close Stands to save money which they should never really have been forced to build anyway. Several other clubs are in the same situation with stands that never get used Airdrie, Clyde for example. SFA bully tactics have backfired on them with this ruling years ago now clubs could go down the pan because of it. Scottish Football really is in a sorry state of affairs.

The question is what can be done about it??:dunno:

horseflesh
16-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I was told that they based the finances for this year on average crowds of 6000 but they are apparently averaging 4000, cant see that cusing too much of a black hole though. Will they open the stand when the OF come calling?

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I was told that they based the finances for this year on average crowds of 6000 but they are apparently averaging 4000, cant see that cusing too much of a black hole though. Will they open the stand when the OF come calling?

They already did open it against Rangers but i guess they cant rely on OF crowds to steady the ship. It doesn't help that most of Dunfermline and surrounding area support one of the OF anyway. :rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I had wondered if we were facing something along the same lines.

connerg
16-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Just seen on SSN that Dunfermline are to close their North Stand for cost cutting measures. That's the over spill stand we get with the car park behind it. Could Dunfermline be in financial trouble too or is this purely a prevention. Raith Rovers have went the same way by closing their Railway Stand and removing the seats from it. This has all come about since the SFA bullied these clubs into redeveloping their grounds to make them 10,000 all seater's minimum requirement's to get into the SPL years ago. Now these clubs toil to get 3000 a week and are having to close Stands to save money which they should never really have been forced to build anyway. Several other clubs are in the same situation with stands that never get used Airdrie, Clyde for example. SFA bully tactics have backfired on them with this ruling years ago now clubs could go down the pan because of it. Scottish Football really is in a sorry state of affairs.

The question is what can be done about it??:dunno:

Only concerned about Hibs, not bothered about other clubs living out with their means!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jones28
16-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Based on Hibs' current attendance would it make sense for them to do the same with Easter Road? Barely half filling the stadium as it is, why not give all but the Old Firm and Hearts a small section of the West towards the South End?

Neither for nor against the idea and by no means want to see it happen, but times are tough!

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Only concerned about Hibs, not bothered about other clubs living out with their means!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living out their means?? Please explain how they are doing that ?

connerg
16-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Living out their means?? Please explain how they are doing that ?

By paying wages they can't afford just like that mob in Gorgie!!!!!

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 09:34 PM
By paying wages they can't afford just like that mob in Gorgie!!!!!

LOL :doh:

Joe Baker II
17-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Based on Hibs' current attendance would it make sense for them to do the same with Easter Road? Barely half filling the stadium as it is, why not give all but the Old Firm and Hearts a small section of the West towards the South End?

Neither for nor against the idea and by no means want to see it happen, but times are tough!

And fans like me might actually get season ticket again if prospect of stadium being near full and knock-on effect of imporved atmosphere. In any normal organisation this should be a no-brainer but not expecting any action from club - sadly Petrie/Hyland view strikes a chord with some fans prefer a half empty stadium and the likelihood of getting nearer a third full soon.

happiehibbie
17-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I think we could also do this for most of our games too seems a good idea to me

IWasThere2016
17-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Arguably we are now - and will do more so in the current year.

MB62
17-11-2011, 11:59 AM
There are far too many teams in Fife and the central area e.g. Falkirk, Stirling etc. I have long thought and said that clubs nead to amalgamate in that area, Scotland has always toiled to support this amount of clubs and in this present economic crisis, even more so.

On the other topic of Hibs, I don't think it will be long before we are shutting down the South stand and housing most away fans in the West Stand South for Cat B games, we need to start saving money too.

oregonhibby
17-11-2011, 12:07 PM
2000 lost seats at £20 a pop is c£400,000 lost revenues a year against which they based their spending budget.

To Dunfermline that will be a big hole.

Gatecrasher
17-11-2011, 12:19 PM
More good publicity for Mr Doncaster to cash in on.

Beefster
17-11-2011, 12:23 PM
And fans like me might actually get season ticket again if prospect of stadium being near full and knock-on effect of imporved atmosphere. In any normal organisation this should be a no-brainer but not expecting any action from club - sadly Petrie/Hyland view strikes a chord with some fans prefer a half empty stadium and the likelihood of getting nearer a third full soon.

You'd get an ST if Hibs close a stand?

LancashireHibby
17-11-2011, 12:49 PM

And in reality the only stand we'd be closing is the South Stand, which has no Hibs fans anyway. The only people affected would be those who have season tickets in the West Stand (South) section.

Moulin Yarns
17-11-2011, 12:52 PM

Judging by your recent comments on songs etc. fans like you might not be welcome.

AndyM_1875
17-11-2011, 01:04 PM
There are far too many teams in Fife and the central area e.g. Falkirk, Stirling etc. I have long thought and said that clubs nead to amalgamate in that area, Scotland has always toiled to support this amount of clubs and in this present economic crisis, even more so.

On the other topic of Hibs, I don't think it will be long before we are shutting down the South stand and housing most away fans in the West Stand South for Cat B games, we need to start saving money too.

Can't speak for Central Scotland area but you are wrong re Fife. There are FOUR professional football clubs in Fife. The two biggest represent the two biggest towns and only one of these is a totally full time club and the Pars have the smallest squad in the SPL. The two smaller clubs actually live within their means and are proper community clubs. In the case of Cowdenbeath they have an admirable youth policy and are looking to sell Central Park for development and move to a new community stadium - probably just off the A92.

You'll get Hell to freeze over before you will get East Fife & Cowdenbeath or the Pars and Raith to merge.

Joe Baker II
17-11-2011, 02:50 PM

But if away allocation increased there should be no need to consider this. Just seems bizarre decision to increase capacity by 4,000+, then only consider filling it with 1 section of fans.

Joe Baker II
17-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Judging by your recent comments on songs etc. fans like you might not be welcome.

Sorry for divergence from topic - I agree to an extent but only by the dimwit fans who did not read the comments you refer to properly!

MB62 - think it is just impossible to close clubs down and bring any benefit, know you are not meaning this but is the same argument as Mercer and apologists (remember Mile Aitken!) did in 1990

jdships
17-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Arguably we are now - and will do more so in the current year.

Think you are proibably nearer the truth than not !!
As to not worrying about other clubs problems personally I think we should take note Given the set up in Scotland we are in prospective danger of a " Domino Effect" .
If one SPL club goes down etc etc
It seems to be more than media talk that D Utd, Don's, Dunfermline Dundee are all having problems " making ends meet" and getting worse . This along with Rangers and Hearts ongoing problems makes for a a gloomy short term future .
This plus Directors of some smaller clubs paying bills out of their own pockets to keep the doors open .
The game needs to be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st C., with the realisation that football clubs are part of the
" entertainment business "

The $64000 question is who has the brains and business acumen to do that . I can't see anyone around in SPL/SFA at this time who fits the bill

:rolleyes:

Jones28
17-11-2011, 03:59 PM
And in reality the only stand we'd be closing is the South Stand, which has no Hibs fans anyway. The only people affected would be those who have season tickets in the West Stand (South) section.

Relocation surely isn't that big a deal, if they were offered a seat of there choice and then first pick of any seat in the ground if they were to re-new?

LancashireHibby
17-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Relocation surely isn't that big a deal, if they were offered a seat of there choice and then first pick of any seat in the ground if they were to re-new?

I just said they would be the only ones affected, not that it would be a particular problem to move them :wink:

Jones28
17-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I just said they would be the only ones affected, not that it would be a particular problem to move them :wink:

Gottcha :aok: