PDA

View Full Version : Coverage of the IRA songs story in The Times

Paisley Hibby
16-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Sorry if posted elsewhere but has anyone else read the article in today's Times? Can't post a link because you need to pay to get access to their website.

The article is headed "SPL to investigate more claims of pro-IRA chants" and has the sub-heading "Hibernian have been dragged into the Celtic row". It refers to the SPL investigating complaints that songs supporting the IRA were sung at the Celtic v Hibs game on 29 October. It also says that Hibs were yesterday "forced to defend their fans over suggestions that they, too, sing songs glorifying the IRA". My problem is that anyone reading this who does not know the background will be left with the impression that Hibs Fans are included in the SPL investigation. Hopefully this is just sloppy journalism rather than deliberate but I'm going to be e-mailing the journalist, Tom Moodie, to complain - just as soon as I can find out how to do that!

hibsbollah
16-11-2011, 03:22 PM
We're being besmirched by association. Thats what happens when you're defamed in the media and the interviewer doesnt defend your position.

In a lot of peoples minds (especually south of the border) we'll just be the 'Edinburgh tims' now. It just confirms my feeling that Petrie should have responded much more aggressively.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry if posted elsewhere but has anyone else read the article in today's Times? Can't post a link because you need to pay to get access to their website.

The article is headed "SPL to investigate more claims of pro-IRA chants" and has the sub-heading "Hibernian have been dragged into the Celtic row". It refers to the SPL investigating complaints that songs supporting the IRA were sung at the Celtic v Hibs game on 29 October. It also says that Hibs were yesterday "forced to defend their fans over suggestions that they, too, sing songs glorifying the IRA". My problem is that anyone reading this who does not know the background will be left with the impression that Hibs Fans are included in the SPL investigation. Hopefully this is just sloppy journalism rather than deliberate but I'm going to be e-mailing the journalist, Tom Moodie, to complain - just as soon as I can find out how to do that!

There was always going to be the danger that some journalists with an agenda were going to turn Hibs' statement around to suit their own angle but the club had to issue that statement yesterday, they were left with no choice following on from what Paul McBride said, and how the journalists choose to report this story is really up to them.

I haven't read this particular article but it would seem that this journalist is trying to manipulate the facts here and really should be brought to task over it.

Elephant Stone
16-11-2011, 03:38 PM
You've got what you wanted, Paul McBride.