PDA

View Full Version : Michael O' Neill on Sky

Jack Ferrigan
16-11-2011, 02:08 PM
This is on the Sky news network

Michael O'Neill has ruled himself into the race to follow Nigel Worthington as the next manager of Northern Ireland after admitting the role was "very attractive."

The Shamrock Rovers boss will go head-to-head with his mentor at the club, Jim Magilton, to take the post left vacant when Worthington stepped down last month.

The 42-year-old originally distanced himself from taking the post after leading his side to the Airtricity Premier Division title.

But O'Neill has now joined Magilton, who has been acting as a consultant to the Dublin team, as favourite for the job after revealing "My future is very much up in the air".

"I have not ruled myself in or out of any job," O'Neill said. "My contract (with Rovers) ends shortly and I'm in discussions about a new one.

"My future is very much up in the air to be honest and the Northern Ireland job is very attractive, no doubt about that.

"Whether it's too soon in my career . . . some people have said that, but I'd consider anything that comes along."

From Bohemians Fan Forum
Alltogethernow wrote:
Certain Hibs fans fairly clueless in relation to Nutsy (Fenlon) and Irish football in general. Normal 'never heard of him' reaction.

Nutsy would do a good job there IMO and would be great to get him off the wage bill although sad to see him go.....They even show less knowledge of Irish football thinking the alco (O'Neill?) would be a better appointment.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Spot the contradiction...

"Has ruled himself in..."
"I have not ruled myself in or out of any job..."

Enigma - an interesting lager from Guinness

Spike Mandela
16-11-2011, 02:36 PM
It's an"if you want me, come and get me, and pay the going rate before someone else does" announcement.

Over to you Hibs.:thumbsup:

Melvin Hibs
16-11-2011, 02:39 PM
It's an"if you want me, come and get me, and pay the going rate before someone else does" announcement.

Over to you Hibs.:thumbsup:

:agree::agree:

PatHead
16-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Wonder how Hibs salary package would compare to Norn Ireland's?

MB62
16-11-2011, 02:57 PM
From Bohemians Fan Forum
Alltogethernow wrote:
Certain Hibs fans fairly clueless in relation to Nutsy (Fenlon) and Irish football in general. Normal 'never heard of him' reaction.

Nutsy would do a good job there IMO and would be great to get him off the wage bill although sad to see him go.....They even show less knowledge of Irish football thinking the alco (O'Neill?) would be a better appointment.

To be fair, I would have to include myself in that bracket. Then again, given that what appears to be tha vast majority of them are either celtc or Man Utd fans, they are probably not that clued up on their own game either.

greenlex
16-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Spot the contradiction...

"Has ruled himself in..."
"I have not ruled myself in or out of any job..."

Enigma - an interesting lager from Guinness

Not really a contradiction. He had originally ruled himself out but has now not ruled himself in or out of any job. Therefor by definition he has in fact ruled himself in for he job.

Speedway
16-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Interesting to see that Steve Clarke has resigned as Liverpool assistant this afternoon.

MrSmith
16-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Interesting to see that Steve Clarke has resigned as Liverpool assistant this afternoon.

Interesting indeed! Got something more to add? :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
16-11-2011, 03:41 PM

apparently spotted at the balmoral:agree:

was a year or so ago mind:greengrin

MrSmith
16-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Radio Scotland reporting Pat Fenlon has an interview at ER tonight - 7pm to be precise!

green glory
16-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Where did you hear this, haven't seen it reported anywhere?

Chuck Rhoades
16-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Hmm. I could find myself conveniently down ER at 7pm tonight...

Beefster
16-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Readying himself for the Shamrock Rovers job, I heard.

oregonhibby
16-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't bother they are unlikely to advertise it. Will be somewhere deep dark and secret!

patlowe
16-11-2011, 03:55 PM
There's a lot of talk about MON being the obvious choice for Hibs but if he's in with a chance of the Northern Ireland job then surely he'd take that over us?

MrSmith
16-11-2011, 03:59 PM
The key for me in this, is the quote from Rodders about the next appointment getting bums back on seats!

Unsure about Pat Fenlon and Michael O'Neill simply due to not knowing...? McLaren?? I feel he is too much like CC! I have nothing to substantiate this just a gut instinct. The rest of the motley crew...?? Don't excite me!

J-C
16-11-2011, 04:04 PM

I spoke to Pat Nevin (son had seat beside him) I asked him about Clarke before CC got the gig, he said he'd had an interview and was waiting to hear but wages may be a problem, maybe ready to take a cut to be his own boss. :wink:

RickyS
16-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I spoke to Pat Nevin (son had seat beside him) I asked him about Clarke before CC got the gig, he said he'd had an interview and was waiting to hear but wages may be a problem, maybe ready to take a cut to be his own boss. :wink:

i can't find anything on Steve Clarke leaving liverpool? could be interesting tho!

Speedway
16-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Interesting to note that Guus Hiddinck has resigned as Turkish national manager this afternoon.

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 04:48 PM
i can't find anything on Steve Clarke leaving liverpool? could be interesting tho!

Me neither :confused:

Mark79
16-11-2011, 04:53 PM
[B]

Me neither :confused:

Single fish surely. Would be a big enough story to have heard about it. He will probably earn 4x what we could stretch to as an assistant manager.

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Single fish surely. Would be a big enough story to have heard about it. He will probably earn 4x what we could stretch to as an assistant manager.

Aye somebody must be at the lash

aljo7-0
16-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Now now Mr Speedway. Stop winding up the natives........... as my dear old Mum would say :greengrin

Keith_M
16-11-2011, 05:02 PM
In other breaking news, Arsene Wenger has yet to rule himself out of applying for the Hibs job.

In other other breaking news, Alex Ferguson has yet to rule himself out of applying for the Hibs job.

In other other other breaking news, Kenny Dalglish has yet to rule himself out of applying for the Hibs job.

In other other other other..............................

Och, ye get the idea.

Hermit Crab
16-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Interesting to note that Guus Hiddinck has resigned as Turkish national manager this afternoon.

Aye and Martin Johnson has resigned as Ingerland Rugby Coach today too. Mayber throw his name into the hat for good measure :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Radio Scotland reporting Pat Fenlon has an interview at ER tonight - 7pm to be precise!

Sun reported that he had already had an interview:hmmm:

PatHead
16-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Sun reported that he had already had an interview:hmmm:

Not ER at Bohs ground with their board. (Possibly negotiating compensation for unpaid bonus?)

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Not ER at Bohs ground with their board. (Possibly negotiating compensation for unpaid bonus?)

Must have read it wrong......Oops

matty_f
16-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Did the Sun not say he'd had the interview, with Rod Petrie being there?

stokesmessiah
16-11-2011, 05:34 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15744981.stm

PatHead
16-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Did the Sun not say he'd had the interview, with Rod Petrie being there?

I was referring to 7.00pm meeting tonight not Hibs interview.

matty_f
16-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I was referring to 7.00pm meeting tonight not Hibs interview.
:aok:

davidw
16-11-2011, 10:39 PM
"Nutsy would do a good job there IMO and would be great to get him off the wage bill although sad to see him go.....They even show less knowledge of Irish football thinking the alco (O'Neill?) would be a better appointment.[/QUOTE]"

Eh, anyone else worried why they call O'Neil "alco"? There are a few references to it on the Bohemians' forum.

Sas_The_Hibby
16-11-2011, 10:58 PM
"Nutsy would do a good job there IMO and would be great to get him off the wage bill although sad to see him go.....They even show less knowledge of Irish football thinking the alco (O'Neill?) would be a better appointment."

Eh, anyone else worried why they call O'Neil "alco"? There are a few references to it on the Bohemians' forum.[/QUOTE]

Och it just means he'll fit in fine with the culture at Easter Road! :wink:

smurf
16-11-2011, 11:00 PM

No Scottish experience.

TrickyNicky
16-11-2011, 11:07 PM
"Nutsy would do a good job there IMO and would be great to get him off the wage bill although sad to see him go.....They even show less knowledge of Irish football thinking the alco (O'Neill?) would be a better appointment."

Eh, anyone else worried why they call O'Neil "alco"? There are a few references to it on the Bohemians' forum.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is a " father figure " to the players , as in - " pop's ", therefore " Alcopops ", see, it's all harmless, you're reading too much into it !:wink:

hibsbollah
17-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Is his record at Newcastle Utd in the late 1980s really as good as wiki says? 15 goals in 48 games from midfield is pretty decent.