PDA

View Full Version : Levein trying further afield!

frazeHFC
16-11-2011, 12:29 AM
We all know Levein has got a fair few Englishmen playing for us, which i have little problem with. It's not ideal but it is improving things.

Well it has come out now that he made an attempt to get Uruguays (Copa America player of the tournament!) Sebastien Coates, now on Liverpool. He had qualified through his grandfather but now it is too late, as in the summer he made his full debut. Levein has also now tried to get Jonjo Shelvey for Scotland, who has a Scottish father. Shelvey is on loan at Blackpool from Liverpool.

Coates for Scotland would have been strange! What is peoples opinions of us going global for players?

Haymaker
16-11-2011, 12:33 AM
We all know Levein has got a fair few Englishmen playing for us, which i have little problem with. It's not ideal but it is improving things.

Well it has come out now that he made an attempt to get Uruguays (Copa America player of the tournament!) Sebastien Coates, now on Liverpool. He had qualified through his grandfather but now it is too late, as in the summer he made his full debut. Levein has also now tried to get Jonjo Shelvey for Scotland, who has a Scottish father. Shelvey is on loan at Blackpool from Liverpool.

Coates for Scotland would have been strange! What is peoples opinions of us going global for players?

Everyone else does it.

In fact Italy won a world cup with at least 4 uruguayans who had won the previous world cup. And IIRC an argentinian.

Musselbound
16-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Personally no problem with it if he qualifies through the current rules. In my opinion Levein is right to cast the net as everyone else has been doing. How many of France's World Cup winning team were born in Europe? Not all that many I'd wager. Unlikely that Coates was ever going to turn down World Cup semi-finalists and twice winners Uruguay to play for Scotland though!

TRC
16-11-2011, 01:08 AM
France won a world cup with something like 9 players that were born out with France, I couldn't care less if they're from outer space as long as they win!

Ozyhibby
16-11-2011, 04:09 AM
The sfa should be sending Mark Wotte over to Uruguay ASAP to see what they have bben doing the last 10 years with regard to youth development. They have a smaller population than Scotland yet are copa America champs and world cup semi finalists.

Lucius Apuleius
16-11-2011, 05:09 AM
If they are eligible through FIFA rules and of course they are good enough, play them, don't care which planet they come from.

500miles
16-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Players should put thier National Team in thier documents at 21. They should be allowed to play for no other national side other than that one.
This playing for your second choice national team is killing the pride in International football, which was always it's greatest attraction, and therefor, why it is now dying a slow death.

steakbake
16-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Football has been apparently dying a death for years, which I think is a bit over dramatic.

I think Levein's global search for talent seems to be a far better one than Vogts' attempt. Looks like he's on to a winner with that Rhodes fella, for example. If they can pull on a jersey and do a job, then I don't care how they qualify to play for us.

Gus
16-11-2011, 09:16 AM
What about International Identity that I keep on hearing about, hence the NO to a Team GB Football team.

Surely a Scotland team that it's first 11 consists of half English born players is more damning to the Identity of the home nations.......................

SlickShoes
16-11-2011, 09:26 AM
We should be sending our best ex-footballers to countries with a a much better grass roots and teenage infrastructure for football to impregnate the women of that country and then promptly leave. We can then reap the benefits when these kids that have learned skills in the football schools of holland and the streets of Rio de Janeiro turn 18 and fly to Scotland to meet back up with there estranged father.

Lucius Apuleius
16-11-2011, 09:36 AM
We should be sending our best ex-footballers to countries with a a much better grass roots and teenage infrastructure for football to impregnate the women of that country and then promptly leave. We can then reap the benefits when these kids that have learned skills in the football schools of holland and the streets of Rio de Janeiro turn 18 and fly to Scotland to meet back up with there estranged father.

I tried that. Guess I wasn't a good enough football player though.:greengrin

Stevie Reid
16-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I think Levein is a bit of a t!t and have some major issues with his past behaviour (Mowbray outburst, no forwards v Czech Republic, Fletcher issue), but I do think Scotland have improved a fair bit under him - one thing he always had as a club manager was an eye for a player, and if he can translate this to the National team then we can go places under him.

In fact, if he was to be a man and sort out the Fletcher situation, I would be rather optimistic about our chances of progression in our WC group. It's easily resolved, as Scotland manager it is Levein's job to pick the best players available to him, and he should pick Fletcher for the next squad for that reason - if Fletcher then turns round and says that he doesn't want to play, then that's the situation sorted once and for all; if Fletcher joins the group, we have a far stronger squad.

This nonsense that Fletcher needs to be the one to contact him to say that he is available for selection is exactly that - nonsense. Would Ryan Stevenson have phoned him to say that he was available and wanted to be picked? Anyone else in the squad? Of course not. He went cap in hand to McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd, despite their behaviour being miles away from what Fletcher has done, and it's this inconsistency that bugs me more than anything.

Grow up, show the necessary maturity, and give us the best chance we possibly have of going to Brazil - it's your job after all.

jdships
16-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Much as I dislike HP as a manager ( I know nothing about Levein the man !!) I say good luck to him on this .
All he is doing , surely, is " playing to the rules" !
FIFA/UEFA set up and pass the regulations therefore let's use them to our advantage .

:thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
16-11-2011, 10:17 AM
What about International Identity that I keep on hearing about, hence the NO to a Team GB Football team.

Surely a Scotland team that it's first 11 consists of half English born players is more damning to the Identity of the home nations.......................

Uh, why?

There are about 500,000 Scots living in England at any one time. Multiply up by the number of children and grandchildren they have (or will have). If you look at it that way, it is almost a statistical certainty that you will have Anglo-Scots in the Scotland team.

The_Exile
16-11-2011, 10:30 AM
You can say that again

Imagine Ronaldinho had actually joined St Mirren, we might have had a team of of them in a few years if he'd put it about a bit in Paisley, those Paisley birds, phwoaaaar. Brazilliant.

Phil D. Rolls
16-11-2011, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36BCNgH9As&feature=player_detailpage

brog
16-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I think Levein is a bit of a t!t and have some major issues with his past behaviour (Mowbray outburst, no forwards v Czech Republic, Fletcher issue), but I do think Scotland have improved a fair bit under him - one thing he always had as a club manager was an eye for a player, and if he can translate this to the National team then we can go places under him.

In fact, if he was to be a man and sort out the Fletcher situation, I would be rather optimistic about our chances of progression in our WC group. It's easily resolved, as Scotland manager it is Levein's job to pick the best players available to him, and he should pick Fletcher for the next squad for that reason - if Fletcher then turns round and says that he doesn't want to play, then that's the situation sorted once and for all; if Fletcher joins the group, we have a far stronger squad.

This nonsense that Fletcher needs to be the one to contact him to say that he is available for selection is exactly that - nonsense. Would Ryan Stevenson have phoned him to say that he was available and wanted to be picked? Anyone else in the squad? Of course not. He went cap in hand to McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd, despite their behaviour being miles away from what Fletcher has done, and it's this inconsistency that bugs me more than anything.

Grow up, show the necessary maturity, and give us the best chance we possibly have of going to Brazil - it's your job after all.

:top marks

poolman
16-11-2011, 12:50 PM

:confused: I must be watching some other team then

hibeedonald
16-11-2011, 01:10 PM
:confused: I must be watching some other team then

They have definitely improved, but thats more down to players hitting form like Adam than Leveins management, which in my opinion is very poor with his negative tactics which is holding a good attacking team back.

ALF TUPPER
16-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Aye ..........Levein's very own Team GB ! :stirrer:

:bye:

H18sry
16-11-2011, 01:38 PM
How many English players do we want in the national team? He tried to get Jonjo Shelvey http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/dundee-united/278956-craig-levein-wants-liverpool-starlet-to-switch-to-scotland/ the picture in this article say's it all, CL is degrading the nation by trawling the lower reaches of English football, for anybody who has tasted shortbread on Hogmanay and asking if they would like to enhance there CV by getting capped. We are looking at players whose 1st choice is not Scotland.

Rhodes is different he feels Scottish having been brought up here from a very young age so I can see where he is coming from, but Morrison,Gilks,CMS,Commans and Bardsley who only play for us because England never came calling is bollocks to me.

woodythehibee
16-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I hate to see non Scots playing for us. However, if they all show the passion that Rhodes shows then I have no issue. If the player has that passion, and feels proud to wear the dark blue and this is shown through his commitment during matches then he is Scottish enough for me. (obviously with the necessary background)

Stevie Reid
16-11-2011, 03:39 PM
If we achieved the same levels of success that Jack Charlton's Republic of Ireland team managed by adopting a similar plan, I couldn't give a toot.

Dunbar Hibee
16-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Playing players that aren't from Scotland - partly why I couldn't give a rats arse about national football.

SquashedFrogg
16-11-2011, 05:19 PM
How many English players do we want in the national team? He tried to get Jonjo Shelvey http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/dundee-united/278956-craig-levein-wants-liverpool-starlet-to-switch-to-scotland/ the picture in this article say's it all, CL is degrading the nation by trawling the lower reaches of English football, for anybody who has tasted shortbread on Hogmanay and asking if they would like to enhance there CV by getting capped. We are looking at players whose 1st choice is not Scotland.

Rhodes is different he feels Scottish having been brought up here from a very young age so I can see where he is coming from, but Morrison,Gilks,CMS,Commans and Bardsley who only play for us because England never came calling is bollocks to me.

Explain why this is different?

hibeemikey21
16-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I think that it should just be the country of your birth. Its just becoming a bit too much like club football now for my tastes, with the heavyweights being able to poach players. Much of Germany's recent success, for example, can be attributed to two Poles; Podolski and Klose. Its such a shame, using that example, that Poland have missed out on such a talented strikeforce just because they are a bit crap in comparison. Who is to say how different their successes could have been if they had those two to call upon (Klose is one goal off being the highest goalscorer in World Cup history!)

We have lost out on McCarthy and McGeady purely because they knew they have a better chance of playing at a World Cup/the Euros. It has (im almost certain) nothing to do with the reasons they gave. As it has turned out, if we had those two in our squad, I dont think we would be too far off Ireland tbh. Can't do anything about that now!

This then leaves the "wee teams" like us to pick up whatever is left and get second rate footballers who have no proper connection to our country, purely because they want to play international football and they are slightly better than any Scots in those positions.

I hate seeing half the team silent during the national anthem.

Rant over.

Haymaker
16-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I think that it should just be the country of your birth. Its just becoming a bit too much like club football now for my tastes, with the heavyweights being able to poach players. Much of Germany's recent success, for example, can be attributed to two Poles; Podolski and Klose. Its such a shame, using that example, that Poland have missed out on such a talented strikeforce just because they are a bit crap in comparison. Who is to say how different their successes could have been if they had those two to call upon (Klose is one goal off being the highest goalscorer in World Cup history!)

We have lost out on McCarthy and McGeady purely because they knew they have a better chance of playing at a World Cup/the Euros. It has (im almost certain) nothing to do with the reasons they gave. As it has turned out, if we had those two in our squad, I dont think we would be too far off Ireland tbh. Can't do anything about that now!

This then leaves the "wee teams" like us to pick up whatever is left and get second rate footballers who have no proper connection to our country, purely because they want to play international football and they are slightly better than any Scots in those positions.

I hate seeing half the team silent during the national anthem.

Rant over.

You can be Scottish and not be born in Scotland. You should see how I react when people call me "english".

--------
16-11-2011, 05:47 PM

I never have had any problem with players moving south to play in England and being picked for Scotland - we'd have been hard-pressed in the past if we'd refused to play guys like Dave Mackay, Denis Law, Billy Bremner or Archie Gemmill. They were real 'Anglo-Scots' - Scots who played in England.

The old rules could be pretty stupid, too - our Joe Baker was an English international, even though his father and mother were both Scots and he was 6 weeks old when they brought him back to Scotland from Liverpool where he was born. His brother Gerry (ours too) was qualified to play for the USA, but not Scotland. Their dad was in the Army, I think. Puskas played for both Hungary and Spain; Di Stefano was born in Argentina, but played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain at different times; Italy selected players from South America for the 1934 WC - Guarisi was Brazilian, DeMaria, Monti and Orsi were all Argentinian. I think all four played for their 'home' countries as well as for the Azzuri. And look at France's squads over the past while - how many were born in former French African colonies? France was stroing at the expense of the African nations whose players they poached.

I personally feel that the present rules are too lax - qualification through grandparents makes for a very tenuous link between the players and the country they represent. But that's international football these days.

But you don't have to like it. I don't.

hibeemikey21
16-11-2011, 05:56 PM
You can be Scottish and not be born in Scotland. You should see how I react when people call me "english".

Im sure it wouldn't kill you to walk out in front of 90 odd thousand at Wembley and play for England though. At the end of the day, you are getting to play international football, which should be an honour in itself. What I proposed is probably the easiest way to draw a line under it. The connecting factor rules are too airy-fairy. Remember there was talk not too long ago of Nacho Novo getting a Scotland call-up?!! What a joke!

Its not about finding players who are passionate about the shirt necessarily, its more about giving countries a chance to benefit from their best players and to give fans a chance to see their team in a major tournament once in a while.

Arch Stanton
16-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Im sure it wouldn't kill you to walk out in front of 90 odd thousand at Wembley and play for England though. At the end of the day, you are getting to play international football, which should be an honour in itself. What I proposed is probably the easiest way to draw a line under it. The connecting factor rules are too airy-fairy. Remember there was talk not too long ago of Nacho Novo getting a Scotland call-up?!! What a joke!

Its not about finding players who are passionate about the shirt necessarily, its more about giving countries a chance to benefit from their best players and to give fans a chance to see their team in a major tournament once in a while.

Can't agree with you - the FIFA rules are good enough for me.

Scotland wouldn't be a country if it wasn't for the people who fought and died in it's battles, and it's not like English or French soldiers were turned away if they were prepared to pledge their allegiance - after all, there were a goodly number of Scots wearing English shirts on these occasions!. So, it doesn't seem to me that being born in Scotland is particularly relevant.

Haymaker
16-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Yes it would. I would never represent England. I am not English. I am Scottish. The only time I would walk out in front of 90k at Wembley would be to play for Scotland.

And I am pretty sure my family would disown me too :greengrin