PDA

View Full Version : Paul McBride on Sportsound

Frazerbob
14-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone hear this clown tonight on Jim Traynor's show? Whist discussing the Old firm and their love of songs glorifying murderers he stated that Hibs and Hearts fans also sing sectarian songs. When challanged by a listener via text to tell when he had heard these songs coming from Hibs fans he stated that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". I haven't heard a single song that mentions the IRA from Hibs fans since the very early 80's. That's over a quarter of a century FFS.

Furious doesn't even begin to describe my mood.

Hibtastic
14-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Who listens to that fud anyway!!

Elephant Stone
14-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Paul McBride is an absolute dick.

Cabbage East
14-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Bellend. Good luck proving that.

PatHead
14-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Seriously as I don't know- who is Paul McBride?

clerriehibs
14-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Anyone hear this clown tonight on Jim Traynor's show? Whist discussing the Old firm and their love of songs glorifying murderers he stated that Hibs and Hearts fans also sing sectarian songs. When challanged by a listener via text to tell when he had heard these songs coming from Hibs fans he stated that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". I haven't heard a single song that mentions the IRA from Hibs fans since the very early 80's. That's over a quarter of a century FFS.

Did anyone else pull up this twat, such as the presenters? Or was he allowed to spout his *****? Anything to take the heat off the poisonous shower he follows.

Westie1875
14-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyone hear this clown tonight on Jim Traynor's show? Whist discussing the Old firm and their love of songs glorifying murderers he stated that Hibs and Hearts fans also sing sectarian songs. When challanged by a listener via text to tell when he had heard these songs coming from Hibs fans
he stated that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". I haven't heard a single song that mentions the IRA from Hibs fans since the very early 80's. That's over a quarter of a century FFS.

So presumably he gave an example then? Thought not, what a liar. :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2011, 07:23 PM
He really needs to asked to prove that statement because as FB says, i have not heard any of that **** in the home end at easter road since the early 80s.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Neil Lennon's lawyer

Outrageous comments and the club should take him to task over making them

DH1875
14-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Me either :confused:.

SteveHFC
14-11-2011, 07:28 PM
What a ******* cock.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Me either :confused:.

See post #9

Saorsa
14-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I'd like him tae find any recording at ER made within the last 20 odd years with any of those songs on them coming from the home end. What a twat. Just cannae take the responsibility for their own ****my behaviour.

JimBHibees
14-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Heard this was genuinely amazed by it. The presenter read out a couple of texts one from a Yam one from a Hibby and he restated what he had said. He sounded very adamant to counter the Heats fans comment but to me less so re Hibs. Typical OF trying to spread the blame.

Hainan Hibs
14-11-2011, 07:31 PM
The club should definitely take him to task.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have the email address for this clown? I feel he needs to be inundated with emails letting him know just how wrong he is, and asking him to prove his ridiculous statement.

hibsbollah
14-11-2011, 07:33 PM
The club HAS to respond to that. The normal Hibs 'dignified silence' schtick just won't do this time.

hibee92
14-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Did anyone else pull up this twat, such as the presenters? Or was he allowed to spout his *****? Anything to take the heat off the poisonous shower he follows.

the man is an absolute clueless pr1ck.

my auld man phoned in but never got through and they never read out his text.

but if anyone feels like venting the second post on their facebook page is getting a fair few pelters.

http://www.facebook.com/BBCSportsound?sk=wall

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Heard this was genuinely amazed by it. The presenter read out a couple of texts one from a Yam one from a Hibby and he restated what he had said. He sounded very adamant to counter the Heats fans comment but to me less so re Hibs. Typical OF trying to spread the blame.

It's a blatant case of him trying to deflect attention from the charges currently hanging over Celtc - a 'we're not the only ones but they're picking on us again' approach. He's a lawyer, that's what they do when defending a client.

I'm not surprised he's done it but I am surprised, and angry that no-one from the BBC has taken him to task over it.

PeeKay
He came over as an arrogant twat. When challenged by a listener to provide evidence of pro-IRA songs at Easter Road his response was "get a hearing aid". FFS a lawyer for whom evidence is an optional extra :rolleyes:

greenlex
If this guy is an employee of Celtic then Hibs should approach them on this issue and ask for an exploration. If not they should be hounding the BBC for clarification and then finally take the guy himself to ask. Minimum.:agree:

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:36 PM
If this guy is an employee of Celtic then Hibs should approach them on this issue and ask for an exploration. If not they should be hounding the BBC for clarification and then finally take the guy himself to ask. Minimum.:agree:

He's not a Celtc employee A. He's Lennon's lawyer.

As I said in my last post he's carrying on the Celtc 'victim' mentality by trying to deflect attention onto others

silverhibee
14-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Neil Lennon's lawyer

Outrageous comments and the club should take him to task over making them

:agree: :agree:

Carheenlea
14-11-2011, 07:38 PM
You would have thought that a lawyer would be more aware than others of the implications on making false statements and accusations in public.

I hope Hibs will have their legal advisors onto this first thing tomorrow morning and take appropriate action.

Barney McGrew
14-11-2011, 07:39 PM
He's not a Celtc employee A. He's Lennon's lawyer

He was employed by Celtc as their lawyer during the whole Dougie McDonald fiasco IIRC, and has also acted for other Celtc players.

Kaiser1962
14-11-2011, 07:39 PM
He's not a Celtc employee A. He's Lennon's lawyer.

As I said in my last post he's carrying on the Celtc 'victim' mentality by trying to deflect attention onto others

Did he not also claim some sort of societal conspiracy against Celtic but stated that he made the claim as a private individual and not as a lawyer or as an employee of Celtic, following the Tannadechie Incident?

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:40 PM
He was employed by Celtc as their lawyer during the whole Dougie McDonald fiasco IIRC, and has also acted for other Celtc players.

True but he's still not a Celtc employee :greengrin

greenlex
14-11-2011, 07:42 PM

I am sure he was one of the targets of sectarian bomb postings last season too.

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Did he not also claim some sort of societal conspiracy against Celtic but stated that he made the claim as a private individual and not as a lawyer or as an employee of Celtic, following the Tannadechie Incident?

I think that's right aye :agree:

This whole 'everybody is out to get us' paranoia is wearing a bit thin now. At long last somebody is standing up to these clubs and they don't like it

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I am sure he was one of the targets of sectarian bomb postings last season too.

:agree:

Him, Lennon and that Scottish MP who arrived at Holyrood one day wearing a Celtc top

Paisley Hibby
14-11-2011, 07:44 PM
He came over as an arrogant twat. When challenged by a listener to provide evidence of pro-IRA songs at Easter Road his response was "get a hearing aid". FFS a lawyer for whom evidence is an optional extra :rolleyes:

Presumably he has only ever been at Easter Road when the great unwashed plastic paddies visit. So he will have heard pro-IRA songs sung - but not by Hibs supporters.

Future17
14-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Certainly well worth a complaint to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (complaint form available here - http://www.scottishlegalcomplaints.com/how-to-complain/complaint-form.aspx) as he should not be allowed to get away with remarks like that.

Even if nothing else comes off it, he will be duty bound to reply to each complaint that is made to the SLCC (or passed to the Faculty of Advocates by the SLCC) which wouldn't be the case if you were to write to him directly.

oneone73
14-11-2011, 07:46 PM
True but he's still not a Celtc employee :greengrin

He's a QC. Good luck finding a lawyer to take him on!

Barney McGrew
14-11-2011, 07:51 PM

It wouldn't be the first time he's had to back down. He publicly apologised to the SFA over accusing them of bias when they threatened legal action and complaints to the Faculty of Advocates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13150935.stm

Jonnyboy
14-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Maybe Hibs should report him to the Law Society. They'd take him on :wink:

woody47
14-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I would hope, AND EXPECT, that Hibs take him to task over his comments regarding US, the fans. He has openly made a slanderous statement which, as a fan, I do not accept. I would love to see/hear his proof because if he cannot prove what he said, we could, everyone of us Hibees, actually sue him in court.

.Sean.
14-11-2011, 07:55 PM
That's slanderous. Could the club sue him?

johnrebus
14-11-2011, 07:56 PM
It wouldn't be the first time he's had to back down. He publicly apologised to the SFA over accusing them of bias when they threatened legal action and complaints to the Faculty of Advocates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13150935.stm

He cannot be allowed to get away with this.

There really must be a proper response from the club for what is an unfounded attack on the whole Hibs support.

What a prick

greenginger
14-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Probably hears pro IRA songs every time he is at Easter Road because he will only ever be there when his beloved bigot 11 are playing and he hears the soap-dodging supporters pour out their sectarian bile.

Has anyone got his E-Mail address ? I think it is time McBride was informed what FOOTBALL supporters think of his Slanderish Bullsh*t

easty
14-11-2011, 08:01 PM
He cannot be allowed to get away with this.

There really must be a proper response from the club for what is an unfounded attack on the whole Hibs support.

What a prick

I haven't heard what he said so I can't say too much until I hear/read exactly what was said (don't want to be one of those jump on the bandwagon types), but what I will say is that if what's being said on .net so far is correct then we must take action against him.

If he'd made outrageous and totally unfounded claims against Rangers fans then they'd be kicking off big-time, and the people in charge at BBC Scotland would be tripping over themselves in trying to distance themselves from the comments already.

Golden Bear
14-11-2011, 08:02 PM
You would have thought that a lawyer would be more aware than others of the implications on making false statements and accusations in public.

I hope Hibs will have their legal advisors onto this first thing tomorrow morning and take appropriate action.

It's a slur against Hibernian supporters as opposed to the football club but its I agree that some form of formal complaint should be lodged.

Kaiser1962
14-11-2011, 08:04 PM

I would imagine STF's lawyers are not exactly wet behind the ears.

Elephant Stone
14-11-2011, 08:06 PM

That's unbelievable! Hibs need to challenge this, he can't be allowed to lie like that so publicly and get away with it. He's a filthy, lying, horrible creep of a man and he needs to apologise and take that back.

weecounty hibby
14-11-2011, 08:08 PM
He may not actually be employed on Celtics books but he is representative of the total twats that follow them and the inane drivel they will spout trying to defend the indefensible. Classless club in every respect, from board level to fan level they are blinkered to the truth and constantly revise history and facts to suit their own agenda.

calumb
14-11-2011, 08:14 PM
He is a typical old firm apologist, thats what they do is try to spread the blame around.

Unfortunately our friends across the city do behave like mini huns so its then easier to say that Hibs fans behave the same way.

silverhibee
14-11-2011, 08:14 PM
The Board would be daft not to take this idiot to task for what he has said about our club, the Board should show a bit of backbone here and show us the fans that they care about the club, Hibs should go the full hog with this, a press conference should be called for tomorrow lunch time and Hibs demand an apoology from Mr McBride, also Hibs should have there own legal advisers looking in to what was said, our club do not sing pro ira songs, trying to tar us with the same brush as them, what a tosser.

He should be concentrating on getting his own emloyees house in order first, before telling lies about HFC.

johnrebus
14-11-2011, 08:15 PM
He is a typical old firm apologist, thats what they do is try to spread the blame around.

Unfortunately our friends across the city do behave like mini huns so its then easier to say that Hibs fans behave the same way.

Yeah, but we don't, that's the whole point....,

Barney McGrew
14-11-2011, 08:16 PM
He is a typical old firm apologist, thats what they do is try to spread the blame around

He's so stuck in his OF bubble that he probably does actually believe that we do sing these songs. He's that disinterested in every other club in Scotland outside of them that he won't even lower himself to pay any attention to what's going on outside Glasgow.

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2011, 08:21 PM
They really are pieces of work. First they call us traitors for not joining in their perverse love-in with themselves by singing that sectarian drivel, now they're claiming we're actually 'as bad' as them.

Well no, we're not.

I smell shee-ite and a great deal of it is coming out the mouth of a smarmy lawyer.

PatHead
14-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Hibs have a great opportunity here to distance ourselves from this sectarian drivel by taking this clown to task.

I agree with the suggestion of a press conference requesting an apology from Mr McBride but would also request the BBC apologise for not correcting this immediately. If this fails legal action should follow.

lucky
14-11-2011, 08:38 PM
That's slanderous. Could the club sue him?

Could us as season ticket holders sue? As season ticket holders we are recognised as the support ( not a dig at any non ST holding Hibbie), could be a case there. But at the very least Hibs should publicly challenge him on this lie. I have not heard a pro IRA song at ER for over 25 years from the home support.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Wonder why the beeb gave him a platform to talk about this if he is not a Celtc employee? I suppose that if anyone knows what constitues sectarianism then a lawyer that follows the Old Filth is supremely qualified. No doubt he reported those involved to the authourities?

Frazerbob
14-11-2011, 08:41 PM
E-mail to Fife sent........

"Hi Fife

This evening I was listening to Radio Scotland's Sportsound program. The discussion was centred around sectarian and offensive singing at football. One of the guests was Paul McBride, who i am sure you are aware off. During the discussion, Mr McBride stated that Hibs fans can often be heard singing sectarian songs. This was later challenged by a listener who asked Mr McBride to tell the audience when he had heard these songs. Mr McBride then cleary stated that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". I was shocked and angered at this statement. Whilst we have our idiots, like every club and I accept that certain songs sung by sections of our support are inappropriate, I can honestly say I have never heard any song relating to the IRA from our fans. This coming from a fan who had a season ticket in the old East Terrace from 1985 until it was replaced by the new East Stand. I am sure the show is available to listen on BBC iPlayer if you want confirmation.

I would like the club to request that Mr McBride retract his statement. Thousands of people listen to that particular show and now many of them will believe that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". This can only damage our club.

Thanks for your time again."

FranckSuzy
14-11-2011, 08:43 PM
The BBC should be making a public apology re his comments. They are, after all, a public body which is funded by us all.

PatHead
14-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Can you let me know his email address. Would like to send one as well

"Hi Fife

This evening I was listening to Radio Scotland's Sportsound program. The discussion was centred around sectarian and offensive singing at football. One of the guests was Paul McBride, who i am sure you are aware off. During the discussion, Mr McBride stated that Hibs fans can often be heard singing sectarian songs. This was later challenged by a listener who asked Mr McBride to tell the audience when he had heard these songs. Mr McBride then cleary stated that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". I was shocked and angered at this statement. Whilst we have our idiots, like every club and I accept that certain songs sung by sections of our support are inappropriate, I can honestly say I have never heard any song relating to the IRA from our fans. This coming from a fan who had a season ticket in the old East Terrace from 1985 until it was replaced by the new East Stand. I am sure the show is available to listen on BBC iPlayer if you want confirmation.

I would like the club to request that Mr McBride retract his statement. Thousands of people listen to that particular show and now many of them will believe that "Hibs fans sing IRA songs". This can only damage our club.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Absolute sc"m. Predictably crass attempt to deflect away from the latest trouble their verminous support find themselves in.

I would be deeply disappointed if the club do no challenge this on our behalf as this is directed at you and me, the Hibs support.

Frazerbob
14-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Can you let me know his email address. Would like to send one as well

fhyland@hibernianfc.co.uk

PaulSmith
14-11-2011, 08:54 PM
As someone who has been going to Easter Road and Hibs away games for near on 25 years I cannot recall any songs ever being sung about the IRA. To suggest otherwise is slanderous, disgusting and I hope that Hibernian FC take him to task and ask him to give one, just one incident where he has heard this happen.

fatbloke
14-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have the email address for this clown? I feel he needs to be inundated with emails letting him know just how wrong he is, and asking him to prove his ridiculous statement.

slaveringgob*****@hotmail.co.ck

givescotlandfreedom
14-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm disgusted about this it shows up his own sterotypical Weegie attitude of us being like them. Also disgusted the BBC didn't take him apart over it. Horrible lying individual.

Alfred E Newman
14-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Irish rebel songs were sung regularly by Hibs supporters, even by protestant supporters like myself, but they stopped instantly when the troubles started in Ulster in the late 60`s and the whole Irish Republican thing took on a new meaning. To say that they are still sung now is a nonsense and the Club should be asking this clown to provide evidence or withdraw his statement immediately.

Sir David Gray
14-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I didn't hear this but if that is true and he has said this then the club should be demanding a complete retraction of his statement along with a full apology. Failure to do this should result in the club making it known that they intend to seek legal advice over this matter.

I have never heard a single Hibs fan sing a song in support of the IRA in the 17 years or so that I've been going to watch Hibs. It just doesn't happen. I've always said that the day I hear Hibs fans singing these types of songs will be the day that I give it all up. Thankfully our support seems to have grown up as far as that's concerned.

There's only one club in Scotland, whose fans are guilty of singing songs in support of the IRA. I know who that team is, everyone on this board knows who that team is and even Paul McBride knows who that team is, he just isn't prepared to admit it. It sounds a lot better if it's portrayed that his team aren't the only ones who sing these songs. Thankfully they're now being taken to task over this behaviour and hopefully they will be shown up for what they really are.

I just hope that the club gives a response to these comments. After all the bad press that the board has been given in recent months, this would be a chance for them to get the support back onside by publicly backing the fans and defending our name and our reputation.

As for Paul McBride, if he happens to be reading this thread, I welcome you to provide any evidence to support your claim that Hibs fans are responsible for singing IRA songs. Any footage from the last 20 years will do.

Good luck. :aok:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-11-2011, 09:07 PM

He doesn't give a **** though, he's made comment on live radio where he knew there would not be effective right to reply.

The club have to pursue this through the media, demand that he recant that statement and expose him for the erse he is.

HibeeMcGinn1
14-11-2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

around the 11th minute is one of the claims.

hibs0666
14-11-2011, 09:09 PM
McBride is a very senior figure in the legal establishment and he cannot be allowed to be allowed to make these utterances unchallenged.

The club must make this ignorant clown apologise to the Hibernian support for this crap.

Allant1981
14-11-2011, 09:11 PM
As much as id love to see the club taking this idiot to task i just cant see them doing anything about it

TheEastTerrace
14-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Email has gone into the club. This cannot go unchallenged. We may have our problems at the moment but there is no ****in danger we are a group of IRA apologists

johnrebus
14-11-2011, 09:15 PM
As much as id love to see the club taking this idiot to task i just cant see them doing anything about it

I can't see STF being very happy about it.

Would be surprised if the club did nothing.

Future17
14-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Maybe Hibs should report him to the Law Society. They'd take him on :wink:

What's even worse than the slur on the Hibs support is that McBride quotes your signature in that podcast. :wink:

millarco
14-11-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

around the 11th minute is one of the claims.

23 mins for the next reference.

PatHead
14-11-2011, 09:18 PM
fhyland@hibernianfc.co.uk

Thanks, replied as follows

I am sure you are busy with other pressing matters including the sourcing of a new manager, however, I thought it important to bring your attention to a programme aired on Radio Scotland this evening.
In the course of tonight's Sportsound programme a guest, Paul McBride, stated that Hibernian supporters were guilty of singing Pro-IRA songs. The presenter did not correct or qualify Mr McBride's comments which would lead me to believe they agreed with him. As a regular match attender at Easter Road I take great exception to this accusation. Doubtless many other supporters and, I would hope, our club would do likewise.
Could you therefore arrange for someone from Hibs to contact the appropriate person at BBC and Mr McBride to ensure suitable apologies are forthcoming and our great club and its supporters are not blackened with this slur?
I would add that I believe this has provided Hibs with a great opportunity to distance itself from this sectarian disease which has attached itself to certain football clubs, finally exploding the West of Scotland myth that Hibs are still a Pro-IRA Catholic club.
Thanking you in anticipation and wishing you and the rest of the board every success in the appointment of our new manager.

down-the-slope
14-11-2011, 09:20 PM

"Hi Fife

:top marks top marks Bob....i was thinking much the same. We do have stuff sung that I disalike / am not proud of.....but we are inoccent of this particular rubbish

Future17
14-11-2011, 09:22 PM

"I've heard songs being sung at Hibs about the IRA". :bitchy:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Irish rebel songs were sung regularly by Hibs supporters, even by protestant supporters like myself, but they stopped instantly when the troubles started in Ulster in the late 60`s and the whole Irish Republican thing took on a new meaning. To say that they are still sung now is a nonsense and the Club should be asking this clown to provide evidence or withdraw his statement immediately.

I'm sure he could find instances of some fuds in a Hibs top singing republican songs on Youtube.

That's the game he's playing, "look they do it too".

What we, as a club, need to impress is that very isolated instances are in no way comparable to the regular and vocal sectarian bile emanating from his clubs' support every time a TV camera is pointed at them.

IWasThere2016
14-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I've emailed SL and FH. McBride MUST be challenged, and made to retract this slur.

givescotlandfreedom
14-11-2011, 09:32 PM
We (Hibs) cannot let this lie. There's no point in making a statement against Yogi talking rubbish (albeit relatively harmless stuff) about us but letting this individual make vile accusations about us. Statements like his could damage the name of the club and create animosity towards us as the stuff he's accusing us of singing is disgusting.

H18sry
14-11-2011, 09:33 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/ fill it in I have sent this..

I urge the BBC to make Paul McBride QC,apologise and retract his statement, in which he stated that Hibernian fans sing sectarian songs at football games, I have followed Hibs home and away for 40 years and the type of songs that he is referring to have not been sung by Hibernian fans for over 30 years,our club has a proud heritage and the way he has dragged our proud name through the sewers is diabolical. The only time Pro IRA songs are sung at Easter Road is when his lowlife football team come calling and they are sung by the away support.

joebakerforever
14-11-2011, 09:41 PM
The BBC have broadcast covert exposes of sections Celtic, Rangers and Heart supporters singing these obnoxious songs during matches.

To my knowledge no footage of Hibs fans indulging in this stuff has ever been broadcast.

I'm sure if it existed the Beeb would have publicised it.

If McBride is unable to verify his accusation, I would imagine the Law Society of Scotland would consider this to be disreputable behaviour by one of it's members.

Future17
14-11-2011, 09:46 PM
The BBC have broadcast covert exposes of sections Celtic, Rangers and Heart supporters singing these obnoxious songs during matches.

To my knowledge no footage of Hibs fans indulging in this stuff has ever been broadcast.

I'm sure if it existed the Beeb would have publicised it.

If McBride is unable to verify his accusation, I would imagine the Law Society of Scotland would consider this to be disreputable behaviour by one of it's members.

Faculty of Advocates but it amounts to the same thing. :agree:

HibeeMG
14-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks, replied as follows

I am sure you are busy with other pressing matters including the sourcing of a new manager, however, I thought it important to bring your attention to a programme aired on Radio Scotland this evening.
In the course of tonight's Sportsound programme a guest, Paul McBride, stated that Hibernian supporters were guilty of singing Pro-IRA songs. The presenter did not correct or qualify Mr McBride's comments which would lead me to believe they agreed with him. As a regular match attender at Easter Road I take great exception to this accusation. Doubtless many other supporters and, I would hope, our club would do likewise.
Could you therefore arrange for someone from Hibs to contact the appropriate person at BBC and Mr McBride to ensure suitable apologies are forthcoming and our great club and its supporters are not blackened with this slur?
I would add that I believe this has provided Hibs with a great opportunity to distance itself from this sectarian disease which has attached itself to certain football clubs, finally exploding the West of Scotland myth that Hibs are still a Pro-IRA Catholic club.
Thanking you in anticipation and wishing you and the rest of the board every success in the appointment of our new manager.

That, sir, is how to right a well structured, to the point, e-mail. Top marks.

clerriehibs
14-11-2011, 10:00 PM

very clever lawyer-speak at that point ... he said he's heard the pro-IRA songs at ER ... not that we sung them ... and he most certainly has (just as he has heard pro-UVF songs at ER). The obvious, and for many years WRONG, implication is that it was US doing the singing.

Pat Nevin should get on the case. He articulates extremely well why he gave up following celtc and started following Hibs.

heretoday
14-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't think Hibs should get involved but should preserve a lofty disdain. Don't get drawn into a slanging match with the great unwashed.

givescotlandfreedom
14-11-2011, 10:08 PM
very clever lawyer-speak at that point ... he said he's heard the pro-IRA songs at ER ... not that we sung them ... and he most certainly has (just as he has heard pro-UVF songs at ER). The obvious, and for many years WRONG, implication is that it was US doing the singing.

Pat Nevin should get on the case. He articulates extremely well why he gave up following celtc and started following Hibs.

If that was his get out he'd have to say every SPL ground as they bring their bil everywhere so why focus on just us and Hearts outside the OF?

Sir David Gray
14-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I've just sent off an e-mail through the BBC complaints form. I've requested a reply so I'll post when I receive something.

I'll be e-mailing Hibs in a minute.

joe breezy
14-11-2011, 10:13 PM
This is not just a passing remark, this is an accusation that Hibernian are breaking strict UEFA rules that could get the club banned from competitions - this guy should be taken to court

clerriehibs
14-11-2011, 10:15 PM
If that was his get out he'd have to say every SPL ground as they bring their bil everywhere so why focus on just us and Hearts outside the OF?

Because there's a slavvering belief in the weej that we're the "wee celtc" and that hearts are the "wee rankgers" ... might be closer to the mark with that latter one, to be fair, but until the bile in glasgow is sorted, no way should he be spreading the muck.

nonshinyfinish
14-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't think Hibs should get involved but should preserve a lofty disdain. Don't get drawn into a slanging match with the great unwashed.

I disagree, there's no need to get involve in a slanging match - Hibs can simply say that they regard his statements to be false, and demand that he either proves them or apologises. It would be foolish to enter the debate about what is political and what is sectarian and so on, but that is not what's called for IMO. Just force him to back up his claims with some evidence - evidence that we all know doesn't exist.

Kato
14-11-2011, 10:23 PM

It was the late 70's when it started dieing out and wasn't instant, took a few years. Not heard any IRA stuff at ER since the mid 80's. As other posters say well over 20 years ago. Hibs celebrate the Irish part of their history on the club's badge - not every celebration of things Irish have an IRA connotation. The way Celtic fans seem to concentrate on a single aspect of that countries history/culture is called "over-compensating".

Dumb lawyer's. Always entertaining.

Part/Time Supporter
14-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't think there's any point in pursuing it legally, demanding apologies, etc. He only said that he has heard IRA songs at Easter Road. He could refer back to the 70s if it ever came to a legal argument. It may be worthwhile trying to get the BBC to make a clarification of what he said, to straighten the record.

PatHead
14-11-2011, 10:40 PM
That, sir, is how to right a well structured, to the point, e-mail. Top marks.

Thanks, made me blush!

Sir David Gray
14-11-2011, 10:45 PM

There's no slanging match to be had here. Paul McBride has made some pretty basic allegations against the Hibs support, namely that we engage in singing songs that are in support of a terrorist organisation.

It's not something that is a matter of opinion, it is either a claim that is right or is wrong and if it is right then it should be very easy to verify.

Hibs have to defend their position on this one and strongly fight these claims. Allegations of this nature, if allowed to go unchallenged, can quickly affect various aspects of the club, in respect of its potential sponsorship deals and also in future when the issue of sectarianism in Scottish football is raised, more and more people are going to link Hibs into this whole debate, particularly if the club is not seen to be fighting tooth and nail to distance itself from the whole issue, which it should be doing because we simply do not sing IRA songs at Easter Road.

Hibs must respond to these claims and the more people who urge Hibs to act the more likely they are to do something about this.

Sir David Gray
14-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I don't think there's any point in pursuing it legally, demanding apologies, etc. He only said that he has heard IRA songs at Easter Road. He could refer back to the 70s if it ever came to a legal argument. It may be worthwhile trying to get the BBC to make a clarification of what he said, to straighten the record.

I think it's fairly clear, particularly with his comments around the 11th minute, that he is referring to current cases where Hibs fans are singing these songs, rather than referring to songs from 40 years ago.

"It (the problem of these songs) is not merely confined to Celtic and Rangers. We've got Hearts fans singing Rangers-lite songs, we've got some Hibs fans singing that as well. It's not merely confined to the west of Scotland."

He is clearly implicating Hibs in this whole issue and accusing us of having an issue with singing IRA songs.

Brebners Bookie
14-11-2011, 11:09 PM

Email the board then.

I have, and complained to the BBC. Never done either before but this is slander directed at the hibs fans. The club dont often reply to criticism of the board or club as a whole and tbh i respect them for it.

But when it comes to some self-serving, biased idiot attcking not the club but the fans, the club should consider it their duty to issue a counter-statement.

As said previously thousands of fans around the country who dont know much about hibs will now think we sing sectarian songs.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2011, 11:10 PM
There's no slanging match to be had here. Paul McBride has made some pretty basic allegations against the Hibs support, namely that we engage in singing songs that are in support of a terrorist organisation.

It's not something that is a matter of opinion, it is either a claim that is right or is wrong and if it is right then it should be very easy to verify.

Hibs have to defend their position on this one and strongly fight these claims. Allegations of this nature, if allowed to go unchallenged, can quickly affect various aspects of the club, in respect of its potential sponsorship deals and also in future when the issue of sectarianism in Scottish football is raised, more and more people are going to link Hibs into this whole debate, particularly if the club is not seen to be fighting tooth and nail to distance itself from the whole issue, which it should be doing because we simply do not sing IRA songs at Easter Road.

Hibs must respond to these claims and the more people who urge Hibs to act the more likely they are to do something about this.

I concur. :agree:

Mixu62
14-11-2011, 11:10 PM

But the allegation that "hibs fans sing pro-IRA songs" (apologies if mis-quoted) implies a present tense.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 12:08 AM
This is the e-mail that I've just sent off to Fife Hyland;

Dear Mr Hyland

I am writing to you with regards to a programme which was aired this evening (Monday 14th November 2011) on Radio Scotland and the impact that it may have on our club. I understand that you may have received other e-mails/letters tonight, from other supporters who have also listened to this programme and who are also very unhappy at the claims which have been made.

The programme was discussing the problem of sectarianism in Scottish football, following the news that Celtic will face a UEFA investigation over their alleged chants against Rennes a couple of weeks ago.

One of the guests on the show, Paul McBride QC, was clearly heard saying that he has heard fans of Hibernian singing songs in support of the IRA. In my time following the club both at home and away (which is now at almost 20 years), I have NEVER heard any Hibs fan sing a song that could be thought of as being supportive of the IRA and I am very angry that my club has been implicated in this whole debate, relating to sectarian chanting. We undoubtedly have some fans who behave inappropriately at times, but then I have yet to come across a football club which does not have this problem. I have also heard various things shouted over the years, from the stands, which I would rather not have heard.

However, one thing that I can honestly say is that I have never heard a song sung by the Hibs support that is pro-IRA or supports that type of activity in any way. It is something that, as a Hibs fan, I am very proud of that fact and I hope it stays that way for as long as I am going to Easter Road. I am proud that my club has matured into an organisation that does not forget its roots but is also one which does not feel the need to enter into singing songs which are supportive of groups which are banned terrorist organisations in this country.

What Paul McBride said tonight on national radio was completely untrue and totally without foundation and I believe that it is in the club's best interests to come out and strenuously deny the claims which have been made tonight. Unfortunately these claims were not challenged by any of the show's presenters, even when they read out a text from a Hibs fan, and I have written a complaint to the BBC this evening in relation to this.

However, I strongly believe that there has to be some form of statement made by the club, asking for Paul McBride, or someone on his behalf, to retract the claims he's made with regards to Hibernian FC and to offer the club and its supporters a full apology via Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme at the next available opportunity.

If allegations of this nature against the club are allowed to go unchallenged then Hibs, as a club, will continue to be implicated in the debate surrounding sectarianism and an increasing amount of people will wrongly assume that songs in support of the IRA are not only on the increase at Easter Road, but that they are also condoned and accepted by the club.

I am sure that, once you have been able to hear Mr McBride's comments for yourself, you will share my concerns and I trust that you will act in the best interests of Hibernian FC and also wish to defend the reputation of the club and its supporters.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter and I hope you fully understand the reasons why I, and several others, have felt the need to raise this issue directly with the club.

I'll post any response that I get, either from him or anyone else from Hibs on this matter.

MrSmith
15-11-2011, 07:37 AM
If you don't mind, I'll copy and paste your email onto my boys Hibernian facebook site.

1two
15-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.

'Group' being the key word.

It's slander and we need to make a stand against it.
He would be the first to jump on it had celtc fans been accused of something thats not true.

GieTheBaTaeReilly
15-11-2011, 08:42 AM
But the allegation that "hibs fans sing pro-IRA songs" (apologies if mis-quoted) implies a present tense.

Agreed, in all this there's the implication that the singing is of the kind that you could hear on the telly, e.g a large number of the Hibs support singing it. There is of course the possibility that he has seen/heard ONE peeshed up idiot crossing the line.

All it takes, as Mixu says is, evidence from whenever of some sectarianism for the Hibs case to be blown out of the water.

It's probably a lot easier to prove that in 50, or however many, years that someone DID sing something inappropriate, than to prove that thousands, if not millions, didn't.

The spirit of McBride's statement is clear for all to see, trying to deflect blame away from Celtic, to take him to task on the detail is potentially damaging.

M

Andy74
15-11-2011, 08:50 AM
There was one away bus in particular that was still playing 'rebel' tapes and singing the songs until quite recently (last 10 years). I'm not sure it even runs now.

I think it would be tricky to prove that no Hibs fans at all sing songs that could be construed as pro IRA, although I have never heard it inside the ground.

Tha Cabbage Kid
15-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I strongly agree with people on here.

this is something which beens to be stamped out and quickly. I am also a very proud hibs supporter and that we are a people not interested in this rubbish!

news like this can travel and can travel very fast. the next thing we will hear will be songs about us being sectarian and thats just NOT on!

Andy74
15-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.

'Group' being the key word.

It's slander and we need to make a stand against it.
He would be the first to jump on it had celtc fans been accused of something thats not true.

In Scotland it would simply be defamation you were trying to prove. There is no separate slander or libel.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-11-2011, 09:07 AM
so McBride, the serial self-publicist, now evens things up with Donald Findlay from the other side, and the bigot-barristers Karaoke roadshow line up is complete? This is not just a slur on our club, but a personal insult to us all, and I think that it is fair that we look to boardroom of our club to speak up for us. IMO doing nothing is not an option. Indeed, if the board don't look for an apology, then is that their tacit acceptance of what McBride has said?

Geo_1875
15-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Didn't hear it but if he claimed that he heard Hibs fans singing pro-IRA songs at games it is possibly true, if he attended Hibs v Gers or Hibs v Hertz games in the 70s. I doubt he did though.

Sylar
15-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Regardless to his opinions, the question still remains - who, really, is Paul McBride? He's no different to anyone else who phones into these call-in shows in that he has no official ties to Celtic Football Club or Scottish Football as a governing body. He's a fan, no different to you or I and his profession is neither here nor there.

He didn't go onto the programme to represent his employers - he phoned/was phoned by the programme, made an outrageous comment and has caused (understandably) a fiery response from the general Hibs support.

However, his claims were levelled at the fans, by nothing more than a punter who happens to be well qualified - his profession is wholly irrelevant and he's no more or less contemptible than any other mutant who happens to phone the show on a weekly basis.

As a result, I doubt Hibs will either take action or lose too much sleep over him and his statement as in the grand scheme of things, his comment is no more valid than Wee Jock fae doon the road. He's well qualified and therefore, should be a bit better educated on the subject, but Donald Findlay is a cracking example of where qualification doesn't necessarily equate to intellect.

His comments are out of order and inaccurate, but then again, so are a lot of the knuckle-dragging Rangers or Tim sympathisers who phone in regularly - his professional status is by the by in my eyes.

easty
15-11-2011, 10:07 AM
There was one away bus in particular that was still playing 'rebel' tapes and singing the songs until quite recently (last 10 years). I'm not sure it even runs now.

I think it would be tricky to prove that no Hibs fans at all sing songs that could be construed as pro IRA, although I have never heard it inside the ground.

Surely he should have to prove that Hibs fans do....rather than us trying to prove we dont.:confused:

Paisley Hibby
15-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Agreed, in all this there's the implication that the singing is of the kind that you could hear on the telly, e.g a large number of the Hibs support singing it. There is of course the possibility that he has seen/heard ONE peeshed up idiot crossing the line.

All it takes, as Mixu says is, evidence from whenever of some sectarianism for the Hibs case to be blown out of the water.

It's probably a lot easier to prove that in 50, or however many, years that someone DID sing something inappropriate, than to prove that thousands, if not millions, didn't.

The spirit of McBride's statement is clear for all to see, trying to deflect blame away from Celtic, to take him to task on the detail is potentially damaging.

M

You talk a lot of sense here. While I've heard Hibs fans signing stuff I don't like (I particularly dislike the Wallace Mercer song) I've never heard Hibs fans signing pro IRA songs. But, as you point out, it's almost impossible (and potentially dangerous) to try to prove a negative. I guess the best point to make to this trumpet McBride is that there's no doubt that groups of Celtc fans sing pro IRA songs. His "but we're not the only ones doing it" is a school playground level of argument that does him no credit.

hughio
15-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Regardless to his opinions, the question still remains - who, really, is Paul McBride? He's no different to anyone else who phones into these call-in shows in that he has no official ties to Celtic Football Club or Scottish Football as a governing body. He's a fan, no different to you or I and his profession is neither here nor there.

He didn't go onto the programme to represent his employers - he phoned/was phoned by the programme, made an outrageous comment and has caused (understandably) a fiery response from the general Hibs support.

However, his claims were levelled at the fans, by nothing more than a punter who happens to be well qualified - his profession is wholly irrelevant and he's no more or less contemptible than any other mutant who happens to phone the show on a weekly basis.

As a result, I doubt Hibs will either take action or lose too much sleep over him and his statement as in the grand scheme of things, his comment is no more valid than Wee Jock fae doon the road. He's well qualified and therefore, should be a bit better educated on the subject, but Donald Findlay is a cracking example of where qualification doesn't necessarily equate to intellect.

His comments are out of order and inaccurate, but then again, so are a lot of the knuckle-dragging Rangers or Tim sympathisers who phone in regularly - his professional status is by the by in my eyes.

Good post.

Answer..he is a fud with a great tip for himself.
He was a great Labour man...then he became a Tory when he thought he'd get the Lord Advocate's job.Then the SNP got a majority and his ambitions were scuppered.
So now hes resigned from the tory party and is slagging them off.

He is an ego with a big gob.

These views are mine and not those of hibs.net

Hibby Kay-Yay
15-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Surely he should have to prove that Hibs fans do....rather than us trying to prove we dont.:confused:

innocent until proven guilty

Elephant Stone
15-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Andy74
15-11-2011, 10:25 AM

I was referring to suggestions we should claim him for defamation. We'd have to show he was wrong.

MB62
15-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Far from it Andy, I think the onus would have to be on McBride to prove he has heard us singing these songs and that would be a damn sight more difficult to prove I would suggest. He would have to produce evidence of such songs being sung by us at Hibs games and I don't know how he could do that.

Golden Bear
15-11-2011, 10:30 AM
McBride should ask Pat Nevin on his views.

As I recollect he and his family stopped going to Celtic park because of some of the pro IRA songs. He's had no such misgivings at Easter Road.

Sometimes the truth hurts Paul eh?

Andy74
15-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Far from it Andy, I think the onus would have to be on McBride to prove he has heard us singing these songs and that would be a damn sight more difficult to prove I would suggest. He would have to produce evidence of such songs being sung by us at Hibs games and I don't know how he could do that.

As noted above, this isn't a trial of Hibs fans!

If we wanted to turn it around to claim defamation then we'd have to show he was wrong. Very tricky.

As a quick example as above I've been on supporters buses where Hibs fans travelling to a Hibs game have been signing these songs and so in certain circumstances, quite recently, Hibs fans can be said to have been singing these songs.

This is just to point out the difficulty in anyone taking action over what has been said.

Part/Time Supporter
15-11-2011, 10:41 AM

That's all true of Celtic and McBride personally, but the BBC has a charter obligation to provide balance in its coverage. He made an allegation which was flimsily challenged by a text message, after which he repeated the allegation. I think the BBC is obliged to correct the record at the next opportunity.

1two
15-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Is this show on every night?

Sylar
15-11-2011, 10:50 AM
That's all true of Celtic and McBride personally, but the BBC has a charter obligation to provide balance in its coverage. He made an allegation which was flimsily challenged by a text message, after which he repeated the allegation. I think the BBC is obliged to correct the record at the next opportunity.

But we hear a lot of unbalanced views being put forth on the BBC, particularly on Traynor's show post-Sportsound on a weekly basis. The very point of the progamme is that It's an opinions show and although the BBC have some responsibility to monitor and censor (to a degree) the views being put forward, part of the point is also to generate discussion amongst the others who chose to phone/text/email in.

The BBC can't be held accountable for the opinions of those who chose to call in to their shows - they probably feel that as one of the listeners was given an equal platform to challenge his opinion was enough.

I vehemently disagree with his opinion, but there are so many a*******s who call in with warped ideals and opinions, that it would get really tedious to get upset and demand some form of apology or reprimand for each of them.

Elephant Stone
15-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I was referring to suggestions we should claim him for defamation. We'd have to show he was wrong.

If someone's been defamed the onus is on the other person to prove it's true.

greenginger
15-11-2011, 10:55 AM
His comments are out of order and inaccurate, but then again, so are a lot of the knuckle-dragging Rangers or Tim sympathisers who phone in regularly - his professional status is by the by in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Fine ,if McBride just wants to be considered an ordinary Joe Public, but that's not the way he sees himself. He's a Q.C. (Queen's Counsel :greengrin ) and always insists on his qualifications being emphasised in the belief his opinions and statements are more valid those of mere mortals like ourselves.

He is also answerable to the Faculty of Advocates for his comments and behavior at all times and I'm sure they'll not approve of one of their own simulating a Knuckledragger . Bad for the image :greengrin.

easty
15-11-2011, 10:57 AM
As noted above, this isn't a trial of Hibs fans!

If we wanted to turn it around to claim defamation then we'd have to show he was wrong. Very tricky.

As a quick example as above I've been on supporters buses where Hibs fans travelling to a Hibs game have been signing these songs and so in certain circumstances, quite recently, Hibs fans can be said to have been singing these songs.

This is just to point out the difficulty in anyone taking action over what has been said.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I have no legal background at all so really just don't know, doesn't sound right though.

If he'd said Hibs fans were racists or homophobes, then would we have to take along our gay ethnic minority friends to court to prove we weren't??

kennyh
15-11-2011, 11:12 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/ fill it in I have sent this..

I urge the BBC to make Paul McBride QC,apologise and retract his statement, in which he stated that Hibernian fans sing sectarian songs at football games, I have followed Hibs home and away for 40 years and the type of songs that he is referring to have not been sung by Hibernian fans for over 30 years,our club has a proud heritage and the way he has dragged our proud name through the sewers is diabolical. The only time Pro IRA songs are sung at Easter Road is when his lowlife football team come calling and they are sung by the away support.

Thats my complaint gone to the BBC, he and others must not be allowed to draw Hibernian into the sectarian debate.

TheEastTerrace
15-11-2011, 11:14 AM

These are valid points I have to agree.

However, I guess where I see it slightly differently is that whilst you and I may understand that Paul McBride's claims were a manifestation of his own personal opinion on Hibs supporters, there are a number of people who may have listened to the programme and not made this link in their own mind.

In that regards, I believe that some may view him as some sort of public spokesperson/representative for Celtic FC, given his high profile defence of the club last year, and being targeted by the 'bullets in the post' campaign that recieved widespread media reporting. If you asked the average punter on the street who Paul McBride is, I'd bet good money on the majority making reference to the Celtic connection.

Either way, none of it paints our club in a good light and I think the club should at least respond in some way to his claims.

hibs0666
15-11-2011, 11:25 AM
These are valid points I have to agree.

However, I guess where I see it slightly differently is that whilst you and I may understand that Paul McBride's claims were a manifestation of his own personal opinion on Hibs supporters, there are a number of people who may have listened to the programme and not made this link in their own mind.

In that regards, I believe that some may view him as some sort of public spokesperson/representative for Celtic FC, given his high profile defence of the club last year, and being targeted by the 'bullets in the post' campaign that recieved widespread media reporting. If you asked the average punter on the street who Paul McBride is, I'd bet good money on the majority making reference to the Celtic connection.

Either way, none of it paints our club in a good light and I think the club should at least respond in some way to his claims.

Just saw this on twitter from some yam fud...

So the wee Celtic truely are the wee Celtic. A top lawyer confirms on Sportsound that he has heard pro-IRA from Hibs fans. Disgraceful.

Comments like this are the reason why this needs to be nipped in the bud right now.

TheEastTerrace
15-11-2011, 11:29 AM

So the wee Celtic truely are the wee Celtic. A top lawyer confirms on Sportsound that he has heard pro-IRA from Hibs fans. Disgraceful.

Comments like this are the reason why this needs to be nipped in the bud right now.

:agree: Totally agree, and with the power and reach of social media enabling the reinforcement of these inaccurate claims, the club needs to act.

Part/Time Supporter
15-11-2011, 11:37 AM
But we hear a lot of unbalanced views being put forth on the BBC, particularly on Traynor's show post-Sportsound on a weekly basis. The very point of the progamme is that It's an opinions show and although the BBC have some responsibility to monitor and censor (to a degree) the views being put forward, part of the point is also to generate discussion amongst the others who chose to phone/text/email in.

The BBC can't be held accountable for the opinions of those who chose to call in to their shows - they probably feel that as one of the listeners was given an equal platform to challenge his opinion was enough.

I vehemently disagree with his opinion, but there are so many a*******s who call in with warped ideals and opinions, that it would get really tedious to get upset and demand some form of apology or reprimand for each of them.

When some bam calls into Traynor, he cuts them off and/or challenges their opinion. McBride's opinion wasn't challenged sufficiently.

Smidge
15-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Like so many posting, I am outraged at the statements of Paul McBride QC. At the very least, a complaint to the Faculty of Advocates by the club should be made. However, I do wonder if there is mileage in a claim for defamation.

A few people have posted wondering how you would prove a negative. If my recollection from my law studies is correct, you do NOT have to prove the negative. All a pursuer has to do is prove that, if the accusation/statement was false, it is defamatory. If is then up to the defender (Scots law term for a defendent in civil cases) to prove that the statement is founded in truth.

In this case, I am sure Mr McBride would bring out his mates to say that they heard Hibs supporters singing pro-IRA songs, but we/the club would have thousands of witnesses to the contrary. The only difficulty I would foresee (if my memory on the legal technicalities is correct) is accurately identifying the "group" that has allegedly been defamed. It might need HSA or some other "official" body to be a representative.

It would make an interesting case, but I would suspect that apologies would be issued well in advance of it reaching court.

bruno
15-11-2011, 12:12 PM

In terms of worrying what some random Hearts fan says on twitter I wouldn't worry.

Look at the McBride thread on kickback and those that actually go to games are as mystified as yourselves re McBride's ridiculous comment.

I think the main problem is people are confused as to who he speaks for. Is it Celtic, no, is it the SFA , no, he's really only giving his personal opinion. An opinion that he is entitled to but not entitled to air unopposed on a national public funded radio station.

If you or I were asked to appear,would what we have to say be allowed to be broadcast unopposed, of course not as we may have an agenda. Clearly this is what this man has. However I didn't listen to the programme and can only go on comments from those that did but if you read the online report it puts a completely different spin on it.

Have the BBC realised their radio programme was misrepresentative and they are now trying to offer a more balanced view. In my opinion yes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15730417.stm

The media in this country really do have to ask themselves how proffessional they are in relating the true problems we have in Scottish Football and start to report it accurately and balanced. Until they do so we will continue to be frustrated at the continual doffing of caps to the Old Firm.

As an aside I do realise that Hearts also have a problem but that's for another debate

TheEastTerrace
15-11-2011, 12:52 PM
In terms of worrying what some random Hearts fan says on twitter I wouldn't worry.

Look at the McBride thread on kickback and those that actually go to games are as mystified as yourselves re McBride's ridiculous comment.

I think the main problem is people are confused as to who he speaks for. Is it Celtic, no, is it the SFA , no, he's really only giving his personal opinion. An opinion that he is entitled to but not entitled to air unopposed on a national public funded radio station.

If you or I were asked to appear,would what we have to say be allowed to be broadcast unopposed, of course not as we may have an agenda. Clearly this is what this man has. However I didn't listen to the programme and can only go on comments from those that did but if you read the online report it puts a completely different spin on it.

Have the BBC realised their radio programme was misrepresentative and they are now trying to offer a more balanced view. In my opinion yes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15730417.stm

The media in this country really do have to ask themselves how proffessional they are in relating the true problems we have in Scottish Football and start to report it accurately and balanced. Until they do so we will continue to be frustrated at the continual doffing of caps to the Old Firm.

As an aside I do realise that Hearts also have a problem but that's for another debate

Judging by the replies to the related posts on sportsound's Facebook page, the message has hit home with those at BBC Scotland that Hibs fans are up in arms about this. I suspect someone at the club may have contacted sportsound to clarify the claims made by Paul McBride on air.

Your last point about the media in this country is spot on. Too many regurgiate press releases or have an agenda that supports one club or another (normally one of OF) on the basis that they'll get in on the odd exclusive in return for not upsetting the applecart. Murray handled the media like this for years at Rangers. We've also had the same faces for some time now - Traynor, Keevins, Young for example. It's the same old, same old each season.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 01:02 PM

He was a guest on this show, he didn't phone in like wee Tam from Castlemilk. He was there because of his links with Celtic and because of the fact that he was targeted by the parcel bombs last season.

What Paul McBride stated last night wasn't an opinion, it was relating to a matter of fact. That means that what he said is either right or it is wrong and if it is wrong, which it is, then the accusation should not have been made.

As for the BBC, I heard a couple of weeks ago that they issued an apology because Neil Warnock said in a Match of the Day interview that his team had "defended like fairies". According to their statement, what he had said was completely unacceptable and it was "a matter of regret that his comments had gone unnoticed by the programme makers and therefore without comment or apology at the time".

If they can get involved in something so trivial as this kind of matter, then I don't see why they can't express "regret" that McBride's completely false allegations made against the fans of a football club were not noticed and challenged by the programme makers.

Future17
15-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Like so many posting, I am outraged at the statements of Paul McBride QC. At the very least, a complaint to the Faculty of Advocates by the club should be made. However, I do wonder if there is mileage in a claim for defamation.

A few people have posted wondering how you would prove a negative. If my recollection from my law studies is correct, you do NOT have to prove the negative. All a pursuer has to do is prove that, if the accusation/statement was false, it is defamatory. If is then up to the defender (Scots law term for a defendent in civil cases) to prove that the statement is founded in truth.

In this case, I am sure Mr McBride would bring out his mates to say that they heard Hibs supporters singing pro-IRA songs, but we/the club would have thousands of witnesses to the contrary. The only difficulty I would foresee (if my memory on the legal technicalities is correct) is accurately identifying the "group" that has allegedly been defamed. It might need HSA or some other "official" body to be a representative.

It would make an interesting case, but I would suspect that apologies would be issued well in advance of it reaching court.

NAE NOOKIE
15-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Would agree that this bell end of a man should be made to justify his statements.

The discussion was on the subject of Celtic being reported to UEFA for a section of their support singing songs in support of the IRA during a match. I dare say you can find examples ( on You Tube for instance ) of dafties calling themselves Hibbies ranting on about this stuff.

But Mr McBride's obvious inference was that he has personally been to ER and heard sections of the home support singing pro IRA songs, which is patently untrue. Unless he was talking about the 70s which he clearly was not.

No, in this instance Hibs should issue a statement deploring Mr McBride's comments and asking him if he can provide any form of evidence to back up what he said. With the obvious proviso that he will issue a public apology if he cant.

It will be to the detriment of us and Hibs as a club if we dont call him out on this.

Billy Whizz
15-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Club statement here
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/LatestNewsIndex/0,,10290,00.html

Saorsa
15-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Havenae read through all of todays posts so dinnae ken if this link has been posted yet but this has gotten a mention on the official site.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111115/club-statement_2262950_2516574

Hope they take the pr!ck tae task over his remarks.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Club statement here

Well done Hibs.

It's a statement that had to be made and hopefully it will be aired on the BBC news and also on Sportsound at the weekend.

Really pleased with the club over this issue. :aok:

s.a.m
15-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Well done Hibs.

It's a statement that had to be made and hopefully it will be aired on the BBC news and also on Sportsound at the weekend.

Really pleased with the club over this issue. :aok:

:agree: I'd like them to ask the BBC to air it.

PatHead
15-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Well done the board. Good to see they have taken the opportunity to denounce secratian singing. Hope it gets well reported through the press. Now I hope they can get the necessary apologies

TheEastTerrace
15-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Good to see the club respond.

I'd like BBC to report the club's response in the interests of fair and balanced sports journalism

GloryGlory
15-11-2011, 02:21 PM
:agree: I'd like them to ask the BBC to air it.

Trouble is, the BBC will probably spin it like there is sectarian singing at ER by Hibs fans - "Hibs denounce sectarian singing at stadium" for instance.

smurf
15-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Well done to the club but I wish we had requested a retraction of the comments and apology.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Has anyone who contacted the club received a response to their e-mail?

I've not, although there's probably been so many who have been in touch last night and this morning, that it's not been possible to reply.

IWasThere2016
15-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Club statement here

See now that makes me proud of my club! :thumbsup: Well said RP! :agree:

:hibees

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Well done to the club but I wish we had requested a retraction of the comments and apology.

Hibs have almost certainly been in touch with the BBC today and I wouldn't be surprised if they have done just that and we hear a retraction and a full apology at the start of Saturday's Sportsound programme, especially since there's apparently been quite a few people who have also been in touch with the BBC since last night to complain.

They probably just don't want to get into that type of debate in public.

TheEastTerrace
15-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Has anyone who contacted the club received a response to their e-mail?

I've not, although there's probably been so many who have been in touch last night and this morning, that it's not been possible to reply.

Not as yet mate, but suspect that a fair few sent an email. Would imagine the club probably wanted to discuss internally first as to how they wanted to respond and also speak to those involved at the BBC.

hibee92
15-11-2011, 03:09 PM
good stuff to hear that from rod :top marks:flag:

Jones28
15-11-2011, 03:13 PM
The Tache gets it SORTED :flag:

Think before spouting further pish Mcbride :bye:

PatHead
15-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Hibs comments appear on Sky newsbar now. More publicity the better

Golden Bear
15-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I hear that the SPL are investigating pro IRA chanting at the recent Celtic v Hibs game. No doubt Mcbride will be trying to pin this on Hibs fans!

Andy74
15-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Hibs comments appear on Sky newsbar now. More publicity the better

I'd have thought the opposite. I can understand the desire to deny this but that also happens to draw attention to the fact and that creates a link with even more people than heard the original suggestion.

hibsbollah
15-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I seem to be at odds with the general opinion on here but Rods statement doesnt go nearly far enough for me. I would have liked him to be MUCH stronger in his condemnation of McBride and much clearer that these songs just dont get heard at ER, and havent for more than 30 years.

jodjam
15-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm happy they have done this. Paul McBride comes across as a right tool. Only trouble is that RP has taken this opportunity to rename the ground Easter Stadium :wink:

ehf
15-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Just catching up with this and am absolutely incensed. It's been a matter of great pride to me that the Hibs support has voluntarily eradicated sectarianism over the last quarter-century or so and a matter of great sorrow and resentment that we seldom receive any credit for doing so. For this buffoon to undermine this with his desperate lies, and for the BBC to allow him to do so, it totally unacceptable.

It is good that the Club has made a statement but (for reasons that I understand) it does not go far enough. We have to inundate the BBC with complaints - please fill in the online form here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?id=TRFT19Q3GVE1JCU9CBJ2QONVNC

Elephant Stone
15-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I seem to be at odds with the general opinion on here but Rods statement doesnt go nearly far enough for me. I would have liked him to be MUCH stronger in his condemnation of McBride and much clearer that these songs just dont get heard at ER, and havent for more than 30 years.

Me too.

"Any supporter attending Easter Road Stadium who indulges in offensive behaviour, is immediately dealt with by the Police and Club, as the swift action against eleven individuals following the Sunderland match earlier this season clearly demonstrates" makes it sound like we are actually answerable to this liar. What he's said is a shameless lie and an attempt to deflect the attention from the OF, where it should be. I am glad Rod's made a statement but Hibs should in no way be justifying the way it conducts itself and should be unequivocally telling Paul McBride he is wrong.

500miles
15-11-2011, 04:42 PM
What I would say, however, is that the "Edinburgh is Wonderful" song raised it's head for a while a couple of seasons ago. Thankfully, it went as suddenly as it came and I've not heard it for a while, because it's these sorts of songs that give clowns like McBride an excuse.

WhileTheChief..
15-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Hibs have almost certainly been in touch with the BBC today and I wouldn't be surprised if they have done just that and we hear a retraction and a full apology at the start of Saturday's Sportsound programme, especially since there's apparently been quite a few people who have also been in touch with the BBC since last night to complain.

They probably just don't want to get into that type of debate in public.

I think it's much more likely to be discussed on Sportsound tonight. It's on at 6.10 on 810mw if you want to listen in.

I'm hoping maybe someone from Hibs will finally go on air and nip this one in the bud. Disgraceful allegations and completely unfounded.

Whilst RPs statement is welcome I agree with another poster on here that it didn't go far enough. We are always too damn nice as a club, I want to see some fight!

PatHead
15-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Now covered on bbc website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15746873.stm

No apology though

N.Wales Hibby
15-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Good to see a response from the club. Just listened to the interview with Paul McBride . I have been going to Easter Road since the seventies. The days when supporters where not segregated and even then I did not hear sectarian songs. What Mr McBride fails to understand is that in Edinburgh we are lucky, you can be a Hibs or Hearts supporter whatever religion you are it does not matter. Thats one of the reasons I am proud of my club:flag:

Golden Bear
15-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Bearing in mind that McBride is a QC, I'm sure the Board would have put some considerable thought into the wording of the statement prior to it being issued.

H18sry
15-11-2011, 05:02 PM
It's on Scotland Today soon :wink:

HibeeMG
15-11-2011, 05:22 PM
It's on Scotland Today soon :wink:

Pretty much glossed over it. They read out RP's statement but offered no 'journalistic' opinion either way. Not surprised.

hibee92
15-11-2011, 05:31 PM
was just on sky sports news, just went over the statement basically.

Persevere80
15-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Just catching up with this and am absolutely incensed. It's been a matter of great pride to me that the Hibs support has voluntarily eradicated sectarianism over the last quarter-century or so and a matter of great sorrow and resentment that we seldom receive any credit for doing so. For this buffoon to undermine this with his desperate lies, and for the BBC to allow him to do so, it totally unacceptable.It is good that the Club has made a statement but (for reasons that I understand) it does not go far enough. We have to inundate the BBC with complaints - please fill in the online form here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?id=TRFT19Q3GVE1JCU9CBJ2QONVNC Good shout. I will be filling in the form first thing tomorrow morning.

huggie1875
15-11-2011, 05:53 PM
not a thing on reporting Scotland though this may be for legal reasons

Barney McGrew
15-11-2011, 05:56 PM
not a thing on reporting Scotland though this may be for legal reasons

More likely they're just ignoring it and hoping it will go away

greenlex
15-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Thinking about this the whole episode will die a death. The BBC will say its not their view but a guest on their programme. They will not retract anything.Hibs will back down as he isn't really dissing the club but the supporters. Nothing to see here I'm afraid.

silverhibee
15-11-2011, 06:03 PM
More likely they're just ignoring it and hoping it will go away

Beanz
15-11-2011, 06:08 PM
bloody shocking and i hope everyone goes to town on him!!

in all the years i've been going to football, never in any derby have i heard you lot singing the kinda of guff that sprews out the mouths of the unwashed!

its smacks of aye i called you a name, but he called me a worse one, playground behaviour. typical of the man though, and typical of sellick.... always the victim, never in the wrong, and always bullied.

urgh, even typing about them makes me shudder!

Malthibby
15-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks, ehf, I've sent of a complaint about this pash.
GG

Emerald
15-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Just catching up with this and am absolutely incensed. It's been a matter of great pride to me that the Hibs support has voluntarily eradicated sectarianism over the last quarter-century or so and a matter of great sorrow and resentment that we seldom receive any credit for doing so. For this buffoon to undermine this with his desperate lies, and for the BBC to allow him to do so, it totally unacceptable.

It is good that the Club has made a statement but (for reasons that I understand) it does not go far enough. We have to inundate the BBC with complaints - please fill in the online form here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?id=TRFT19Q3GVE1JCU9CBJ2QONVNC

Complaint sent. Get them sent in folks. :protest:

CraigHibee
15-11-2011, 06:17 PM
its just mcbride clutching at straws, celtic are finally being brought to task over their mutant, biggoted, buckfast drinking, shower dodging supporters and then all of a sudden it's
"everyone else does it"

can't really defend our maroon bafoon neighbours as yes they do sing that particular song on occasions!

but mcbride.. get your facts right son!

CmoantheHibs
15-11-2011, 06:19 PM
As much as I understand the situation(cannot get bbc here so relying on quotes from the forum)he has been very misleading with his words but hasnt actually said Hibs fans have been singing IRA songs but he has heard IRA songs sung at Hibs.His words had the intention to imply that it was Hibs fans singing the songs but never actually stated that which restricts the board in their reply.Personally I think it is sad that the media attention is now deflected from the real issue.It seems every time the OF are accused of anything they just cry foul/conspiracy/whatever rather than face the real issues.They need to be held accountable for their supporters in the same way every other club does.

CapitalHibs
15-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Surprised Jack Reagan hasnae put in his two cents worth yet - was he banned or realised he was flogging a dead horse?

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-11-2011, 06:41 PM
not a thing on reporting Scotland though this may be for legal reasons Not so much legal reasons but more to do with getting back up the trouser legs of the Old Filth. They have deviated from the script and upset both strains of the Glasgow virus.

Barney McGrew
15-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Surprised Jack Reagan hasnae put in his two cents worth yet - was he banned or realised he was flogging a dead horse?

He's still around, but surely even he can't defend the indefensible? :wink:

CapitalHibs
15-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Tries it all the time IIRC:wink:

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 07:02 PM

I think the club will have been in touch with the BBC today to complain about the comments and they'll have been a lot stronger in their criticism than they were when they've made that statement.

I would certainly hope that the club will have asked for an apology to be made and for McBride to retract his statement.

I think it's much more likely to be discussed on Sportsound tonight. It's on at 6.10 on 810mw if you want to listen in.

I'm hoping maybe someone from Hibs will finally go on air and nip this one in the bud. Disgraceful allegations and completely unfounded.

Whilst RPs statement is welcome I agree with another poster on here that it didn't go far enough. We are always too damn nice as a club, I want to see some fight!

Has anything been mentioned on this programme tonight?

silverhibee
15-11-2011, 07:05 PM

:fishin: :stirrer: :devil: :greengrin

greenginger
15-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Bearing in mind that McBride is a QC, I'm sure the Board would have put some considerable thought into the wording of the statement prior to it being issued.

Perhaps it is time McBride was'nt a Q. C. I think he's trying to get himself on the celebrity martyr circuit.

Maybe a couple of appearances in River City might be a start. A weegie in a Soap ! :rolleyes:

gringojoe
15-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Complaint sent to BBC and I didn't even revert to calling him names.:na na:

The Harp
15-11-2011, 07:48 PM

Spot on Mr B. My sentiments entirely. Irish rebel songs were belted out regularly in the early 60's by myself and many others - some of us with Irish roots and some not, but all Hibees. Most of us probably didn't know much about what we were singing about to be honest.
However, when regular sectarian atrocities by both sides in Ulster became a feature of news bulletins in the late 60's I reckon we all wised-up.
We may have our fair share of numpties among our support of late, but we're certainly not guilty of this charge. It's obviously a scurrilous attempt by Paul McBride to take the heat off Celtic by dragging Hibs into the equation.
If this man is regarded as a leading QC it only illustrates how low the standards of the legal profession in Scotland has sunk to.
I'm pleased Rod Petrie has responded to this accusation but I'd have preferred something a little more hard-hitting.

WhileTheChief..
15-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Has anything been mentioned on this programme tonight?

They read out the statement and made reference to last nights program then moved on to discuss Celtic fans being reported to the SPL for singing offensive songs at, you guessed it, the recent Hibs game at Celtic Park!

They didn't make any sort of comment on McBride's chat form last night.

PapillonVert
15-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I am very disappointed with Paul McBride's remarks. For someone who is a QC and therefore a supposed leading member of society, they smack of being cheap, ill-thought-out, and inflammatory and, worst of all, inaccurate. If you are going to make accusations of such a serious nature, you need to be sure of your ground.

I have been attending ER for years. Any singing of this type was consigned - rightly - to the bins very many years ago. What Paul McBride claims is just not part of the current scene at ER and has not been for very many years. Shame on him for trying to imply it is!

For someone in his position, this attempt to displace responsibility and include others - unjustifiably - into an area of shame - is appalling.

In my opinion, he is not worthy of the honourable office of a QC if he thinks this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

Jonnyboy
15-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I am very disappointed with Paul McBride's remarks. For someone who is a QC and therefore a supposed leading member of society, they smack of being cheap, ill-thought-out, and inflammatory and, worst of all, inaccurate. If you are going to make accusations of such a serious nature, you need to be sure of your ground.

I have been attending ER for years. Any singing of this type was consigned - rightly - to the bins very many years ago. What Paul McBride claims is just not part of the current scene at ER and has not been for very many years. Shame on him for trying to imply it is!

For someone in his position, this attempt to displace responsibility and include others - unjustifiably - into an area of shame - is appalling.

In my opinion, he is not worthy of the honourable office of a QC if he thinks this kind of behaviour is acceptable.

Well said J :top marks

I've a mind to write to his officiating body - is it the Faculty of Advocates or the Law Society?

PapillonVert
15-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Well said J :top marks

I've a mind to write to his officiating body - is it the Faculty of Advocates or the Law Society?

Hi, John, he is an advocate and so his professional body is the Faculty of Advocates.

IWasThere2016
15-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I just got this email from Fife:

Thanks for getting in touch regarding last night’s programme on Radio Scotland. Your thoughts and comments on the programme were noted by everyone at the Club.
As the Chairman said, neither religion nor politics play any part in the fabric of Hibernian, and the Club is proud of the work it does with supporters in eradicating offensive behaviour of any sort at Easter Road Stadium.
You will hopefully have seen the Club’s response via the statement released this afternoon:
I apologise for the generic response, but you will appreciate we are very busy on other matters at the moment, and I wanted to note receipt of your email and assure you that action had been taken to address Mr McBride QC’s comments.
Thanks again for your email.
Fife

random sub
15-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Shame on Paul McBride- as has been said before, a QC should know better.

weecounty hibby
15-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I have filled in the Beebs complaint form. I am a bit disappointed in the club response and hoped that they would be stronger in the condemnation of this guy and his poisonous words. It is very noticeable that I don't even think Jack Regan has been on trying to defend this idiot.

PapillonVert
15-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I have filled in the Beebs complaint form. I am a bit disappointed in the club response and hoped that they would be stronger in the condemnation of this guy and his poisonous words. It is very noticeable that I don't even think Jack Regan has been on trying to defend this idiot.

and
I agree - as a supporter, I feel that the Club's response has been muted and understated, to say the least. This was an unjustified attack on the good name of the club and its supporters and the Club seems not to care all that much.

The good name of the Club is being gradually eroded but no-one in the management seems to care that much.

Jonnyboy
15-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi, John, he is an advocate and so his professional body is the Faculty of Advocates.

Ta :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
15-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I just got this email from Fife:

Thanks for getting in touch regarding last night’s programme on Radio Scotland. Your thoughts and comments on the programme were noted by everyone at the Club.
As the Chairman said, neither religion nor politics play any part in the fabric of Hibernian, and the Club is proud of the work it does with supporters in eradicating offensive behaviour of any sort at Easter Road Stadium.
You will hopefully have seen the Club’s response via the statement released this afternoon:
I apologise for the generic response, but you will appreciate we are very busy on other matters at the moment, and I wanted to note receipt of your email and assure you that action had been taken to address Mr McBride QC’s comments.
Thanks again for your email.
Fife

I've just received that too.

Fair play to Fife, I have written to/e-mailed him now on a couple of matters and although I haven't always been satisfied with how's he's handled my concerns, he has always responded in a very prompt manner.

IWasThere2016
15-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I've just received that too.

Fair play to Fife, I have written to/e-mailed him now on a couple of matters and although I haven't always been satisfied with how's he's handled my concerns, he has always responded in a very prompt manner.

I've responded with a thank you forr the reply and the club's statement.

PatHead
15-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Received the same email from FH

darwenhibby
15-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I managed to pick up a clear reception driving between Birmingham and Manchester last night.

Was raging, I have never heard so much pish.

We are too busy moaning at our own players to have time to sing songs of that nature.

Spike Mandela
16-11-2011, 10:34 AM

What is disappointing wch is I was listening to the show on the way home from work and up till the point he brought Hibs in to it I was agreeing with everything he said about getting tough on the sectarianism at Celtic and Rangers and he was making sense.

He clearly however hasn't done his research as you and I know the only time we hear the IRA mentioned at ER is when Celtic or Rangers visit. This weakens his argument. He should have been holding Hibs up as an example of a club with Irish roots proud of it's Scottishness that has steadily eradicated this vile stuff gradually since the late 70's

As a support we aren't angels and do have one or two tasteless songs but when it comes to sectarian chants we are leagues and leagues ahead of Mr McBride's club.

LancashireHibby
16-11-2011, 10:42 AM
He clearly however hasn't done his research as you and I know the only time we hear the IRA mentioned at ER is when Celtic or Rangers visit. This weakens his argument. He should have been holding Hibs up as an example of a club with Irish roots proud of it's Scottishness that has steadily eradicated this vile stuff gradually since the late 70's

As a support we aren't angels and do have one or two tasteless songs but when it comes to sectarian chants we are leagues and leagues ahead of Mr McBride's club.

Absolutely spot on.

I went for a few beers in Leigh when I got back from the Dunfermline game the other week and had a bloke asking me if I was a Catholic and if Celtc were my 'real' team. Proudly told him that HFC have had absolutely nothing to do with this sort of rubbish for decades and that we're so much better than the Old Firm in that sense. McBride's quotes have wound me up no end and I feel it should have been a much stronger statement from the club to distance ourselves from such crap and reiterate that we are a club for everyone, regardless of creed, colour or religion. No Yams though.

bawheid
16-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I've responded with a thank you forr the reply and the club's statement.

How did you get on with emailing the club about the major anomaly you unearthed in the club's accounts wrt what was reported at the AGM?

Gatecrasher
16-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Is this the same guy that kicked off the Neil Lennon stuff last year?

To me he just sounds like a ill informed **** stirrer trying to save his clubs face by blaming other and it aint working :bye:

Moulin Yarns
16-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Come on guys, he is a QC, you don't expect them to tell the god's honest truth, ever!

Lendo
16-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Stumbled upon this on the Shortlist website. It's the 7 "Greatest" Football Songs, number 2 on the list is Smeltic fans Nakamura song.

This is to the tune of Winter Wonderland: “There’s only one Nakamura / One Nakamura / He eats Chow Mein / He votes Sinn Fein / Walking in a Nakamura wonderland”

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/7-greatest-football-chants

Morons the lot of them. They've managed to get both Race and Politics into a song about a Japanese winger.

--------
16-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Stumbled upon this on the Shortlist website. It's the 7 "Greatest" Football Songs, number 2 on the list is Smeltic fans Nakamura song.

This is to the tune of Winter Wonderland: “There’s only one Nakamura / One Nakamura / He eats Chow Mein / He votes Sinn Fein / Walking in a Nakamura wonderland”

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/sport/7-greatest-football-chants

Morons the lot of them. They've managed to get both Race and Politics into a song about a Japanese winger.

Where do they get their Chow Mein from? A sushi bar? :rolleyes:

PolmontHibby
16-11-2011, 04:18 PM
To be fair to Paul McBride, maybe I do need a hearing aid.
I thought I just heard on Radio Scotland Scotland that Neil Doncaster has stated that recent controversies could help to attract a new league sponsor.

Aye - nothing like a bit of sectarianism, attacks on managers, paedo scandals, clubs going bust, etc etc to help drum up business.

But I must have misheard?

Baldy Foghorn
16-11-2011, 04:23 PM

:agree: :agree: :top marks:

Well done to the Hibs Board for coming out promptly and making a statement, Paul McBride and Sportsound should be held to account over these slanderous remarks....

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2011, 04:38 PM
If he is a defence lawyer, then the truth of any matter is not really the issue, it is more important to float the idea of reasonable doubt. McBride is a country mile away from the oppressed minority that he uses as his stock-in-trade and is more a well heeled media savvy professional, very much at home as part of the establishment. His words are a legal move to dilute the issue by claiming that everyone is at it. I am hoping that this backfires, but I sense that the press and the broadcasters are beginning to lose their nerve with this. The Daily Record's attempt to cover this today with " Murdo's agenda" was pitifull.

Andy74
16-11-2011, 04:45 PM
How did you get on with emailing the club about the major anomaly you unearthed in the club's accounts wrt what was reported at the AGM?

I didn't get a response from TQM to my suggestion to clear this one up quickly by phone or email either!

Maybe if I mention John Hughes he'll notice! :greengrin

Joe Baker II
16-11-2011, 05:02 PM
What is disappointing wch is I was listening to the show on the way home from work and up till the point he brought Hibs in to it I was agreeing with everything he said about getting tough on the sectarianism at Celtic and Rangers and he was making sense.

As per post on another thread heard some Hibs fans shout Up the Ra when we played Hearts last season - stress do not have a problem with this but like it or not McBride is not wrong.

And saying Hibs is a " club with Irish roots proud of it's Scottishness" is just a euphemsim for eliminating our Irish identity that panders to anti-Irish racism, shamefully a view held by many Hibs fans and boards who wish to ignore our history. The fact that Celtic and some of their fans often sign up to a flawed version of their history does not excuse trhe attitude of Hibs boards and fans.

Spike Mandela
16-11-2011, 05:08 PM
As per post on another thread heard some Hibs fans shout Up the Ra when we played Hearts last season - stress do not have a problem with this but like it or not McBride is not wrong.

And saying Hibs is a " club with Irish roots proud of it's Scottishness" is just a euphemsim for eliminating our Irish identity that panders to anti-Irish racism, shamefully a view held by many Hibs fans and boards who wish to ignore our history. The fact that Celtic and some of their fans often sign up to a flawed version of their history does not excuse trhe attitude of Hibs boards and fans.

:yawn::bye:

sidjames
16-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Well on a lighter note, I knew a Paul McBryde who was a lawyer from Glasgow. He was the usual suiteried Ned defender,but he had without doubt the smallest ***** ever seen in the changing rooms of the gym in this world or the next. He was known to the rest of the profession simply as "The Fanny" Couldn't be surely, could he?

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-11-2011, 05:21 PM
As per post on another thread heard some Hibs fans shout Up the Ra when we played Hearts last season - stress do not have a problem with this but like it or not McBride is not wrong. And saying Hibs is a " club with Irish roots proud of it's Scottishness" is just a euphemsim for eliminating our Irish identity that panders to anti-Irish racism, shamefully a view held by many Hibs fans and boards who wish to ignore our history. The fact that Celtic and some of their fans often sign up to a flawed version of their history does not excuse trhe attitude of Hibs boards and fans. and with that piece of drivel, thread closed maybe?

Franck Stanton
16-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Just adding my two-pence worth, in that I am outraged by this clowns outragous, unfounded statements. I have sent a complaint to the BBC telling them exactly what I think of the way he was allowed to spout such bile and not be challenged by the presenters of the show. I have been attending Hibs games for over 50 years and have never heard any pro-IRA songs sung BY HIBS SUPPORTERS since the late 70's possibly early 80's at latest. Heard plenty sung by the knuckle-dragging unwashed neanderthals who support the same team as the idiot making the claims. Just because he is a QC doesn't make him right or even clever, if anything, he should know better than make statements of this magnatude which he cannot substanciate. In fact , sshould he read this - I challenge you to review TV footage of any Hibs game, against anybody, to come up with ONE, JUST ONE, pro IRA chant/song. Good luck with that one because you will certainly need it. Doesn't exist.

Hibby D
16-11-2011, 05:45 PM

What an absolute crock of nonsense!! A "euphemism for eliminating our Irish identity..."??? :faf:

Ha ha ha ha....... (ad infinitum) :hilarious

mixumatosis
16-11-2011, 05:45 PM
There's an episode of The West Wing where a rogue congressman suggests that 1 in 3 White House Staff uses drugs. It's rampant nonsense, but it's an attempt to flush out a senior official who has a history of drug & alcohol abuse but is now a reformed and sober individual.

The staff's response is to laugh it off and deny the story, call it a bizarre claim and have the press secretary refute it immediately.

The press secretary points out that if she denies such activities go on amongst White House officials and the press subsequently find out someone was taking drugs then her position is fundamentally undermined.

The club's statement has to take account of the fact that they cannot discount the possibility that some fans have sung pro IRA songs in Paul McBride's experience (ie. the recent past). They simply cannot come out and say such songs are not sung at ER, because they can't verify that beyond their own experience.

The club's response is as robust as it can be given that they can only respond to the allegations that McBride has made. Imagine if they said "No such behaviour goes on at Easter Road" and one clown was filmed waving a tricolour and singing about the IRA ? They couldn't stand by their statement and would have to concede the point made by McBride might be true.

It shouldn't stop any and all from disputing the allegations and the weight of opinion should be enough to refute what i agree is a flagrant attempt to deflect the attention from Celtc's own problems.

This is a battle that will be won & lost by our own behaviour. We know that there are idiots in our support, even if they are not guilty of the specific behaviour described by Paul McBride. If we encounter behaviour that is objectionable then the only force with the will & means to overcome and remove it from ER is those around them.

Paisley Hibby
16-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Are you having a laugh?

Our Irish Catholic origins are reflected in our name, our colours and the harp on our badge. Is that not enough for you?

I don't believe you heard what you claim. But if you did and didn't have a problem with it then I'm gobsmacked. McBride has been an idiot about this but even he has a problem with the pro IRA stuff - so where does that put you?

Saorsa
16-11-2011, 05:55 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies 2/turd4.gif

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies/turd4.gif

Westie1875
16-11-2011, 06:30 PM

You sir are an embarrassment, I am astonished that this has come from a Hibernian supporter, you are in a very small minority of what seems to be one judging by this thread.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you but the FACT is that Hibs are a Scottish club with Irish roots and the vast majority of our fans see no reason to put on the plastic paddy nonsense which many Celtc fans associate themselves with. To suggest we are displaying anti-Irish racism because we are proud to be a Scottish club is pathetic and delusional, we are based in Leith FFS and unless someone has changed the map Leith is not in Ireland.

marinello59
16-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Not like you to pop up to defend the Old Firm view point is it?. Hold on, it is. Maybe one day we will get a positive post about Hibs and their fans from you.

Saorsa
16-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Not like you to pop up to defend the Old Firm view point is it?. Hold on, it is. Maybe one day we will get a positive post about Hibs and their fans from you.I've no found a " dinnae haud yer breath smilie " yet, this would have been the perfect post for it

Kato
16-11-2011, 08:16 PM
just a euphemsim for eliminating our Irish identity that panders to anti-Irish racism, shamefully a view held by many Hibs fans and boards who wish to ignore our history.

I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Hibernian's historical identity is preserved with it's name, on it's badge and in the family's around Edinburgh and beyond whose ancestor's were there at the start, either as players or fans. The fact that one narrow aspect of Irish culture/history (the IRA) is no longer celebrated/sung about at Easter Road doesn't doesn't and can't dilute Hibs history as that is there for everyone to see.

Broken Gnome
16-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Possibly the first thing Joe Baker II doesn't actually mind about Hibs - when he hears pro-IRA chants. Everything else seems to be met with outrage and embarrassment.

keep the faith
16-11-2011, 08:43 PM

One of the greatest ever achievements of this club and fans is how we completely distanced ourselves from sectarianism and eliminated it entirely about 20 years ago. We pride ourself on leaving that nonsense to the bigot brothers and the yams. Mcbride has no idea about our club or our ethos but posts like yours giving his lies credit beggars belief and is so damaging.

As said in earlier posts our past in proudly displayed on our badge and that's it. You want Irish folk songs, parkhead is your place.

basehibby
16-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm happy to say I can't remember ever hearing songs being sung at ER in praise of the IRA (with the exception of when that shower of odiously gullible obsequious plastic tossers visit from the west).

It's something that makes me quite proud of my fellow Hibees that we as a support have pretty much gotten rid of sectarian/twatish paramilitary chants ourselves over the years through
a) acknowledging our collective conscience and letting sense prevail over moronic tribalism, and...
b) self policing

I hope the idiot McBride is made to fully and publicly apologise to the Hibs support for this insult and slur on our name - if he'd made this allegation against an individual he would be legally liable - why should it be so different when he's slurred the character of thousands???

Bishop Hibee
16-11-2011, 09:12 PM

I'll bite.

You must have been the only one who heard that as I've never heard a pro-IRA chant at ER for years. Plenty rebs in the 70's although I was only a nipper but they fizzled out and the last dob chants were over 20 years ago.

While Hibs have a catholic, cultural and practicing, support mainly of Irish decent second only to Celtc in size, we do not wallow in Irishness. Proud of our Irish heritage and the Irish-linked history of our club we are also comfortable with Hibs' Scottishness and the clubs' place in Edinburgh/Leith.

To call this racist is utterly ridiculous.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2011, 09:15 PM

I know you're probably just fishing for a reaction here (at least I hope you are, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here) but I couldn't let that one go without replying.

How can a club called HIBERNIAN who play in green strips and have a harp on its badge possibly eliminate its Irish identity and ignore its roots and history?

Just because we don't go about waving Irish tricolours en masse and we don't sing The Boys of the Old Brigade about ten times every game doesn't mean that we have forgotten our roots.

I watched Ireland play Estonia last night and their fans managed to get through a full 90 minutes without paying homage to the IRA or any of that nonsense. Does that mean that they are shamefully ignoring their history and pandering to anti-Irish racism? :confused:

clerriehibs
16-11-2011, 09:19 PM
It's hardly surprising he's attracted trouble from the extreme element of the rankgers "support" in the past if this antagonism is normal from mcbride.

oldbutdim
16-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Oh dear.
:rolleyes:

Oh dear.
:rolleyes:

Quite quite incredible.

I'm glad that there are few Hibs fans who share your views.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-11-2011, 10:04 PM
What an absolute crock of nonsense!! A "euphemism for eliminating our Irish identity..."??? :faf: Ha ha ha ha....... (ad infinitum) :hilarious I concur!

Hibercelona
17-11-2011, 01:00 AM

I really hope your account was hacked or accessed by a plastic paddy or a yam. No Hibby in their right mind would spout such mindless nonsense. Not even hidden behind a PC screen.

Being only 21 myself, I can proudly say that i've never heard anything remotley pro-IRA or Anti-Irish at Easter Road. I've never heard or saw anything remotely secterian in any shape or form, or any form of racism for that matter.

At just about any other ground in Scotland i've been to, I've heard some disgusting things, although thankfully rarely at most of these grounds, but never at Easter Road, not once.

We're not the greatest fans in the world (like the mighty celtc) but we're certainly one of the best behaved support in Scotland and probably Britain.

TRC
17-11-2011, 01:58 AM
I've been going to ER for 20 odd years. I have never heard any pro IRA chants from Hibs fans. We as a club are of Irish origin not IRA or Catholic origin but Irish although founded by catholics. I myself am of Irish origin and very proud of that (i can hammer tons of Guinness in one, sitting thanks Granddad) but I,we are Scottish and we should all be proud of the fact. This moron should not have spouted a 9 page thread on the matter we shouldn't have given him a reaction, we know we are not sectarian, I also seem to remember a few years ago a Fifa/uefa site proclaiming us and the yams were the equivalent to celtic/rangers in the east i.e the Catholic Protestant version from the east. seem to remember they had to withdraw the article because it was not correct! :aok:

StokePogesHibs
17-11-2011, 02:42 AM
It is a big leap to suggest that having Irish heritage automatically meant pro ira. It's a bit like saying all people in Scotland are SNP or England are tories. Keep politics and bigotry out of Hibs. The comments were defamatory and the club should push for a public apology.
Our badge says it all. Proud of where we have come from (harp), proud of where we are (ship) in Leith, Edinburgh's rock solid team (castle), and football (ball) is all we are interested in. GGTH