PDA

View Full Version : How many managers has Petire sacked that went on to be successful?

Hibbyradge
13-11-2011, 11:30 PM
It's almost a rhetorical question.

HibeeDave
14-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Mixu

hiberniaaah
14-11-2011, 06:33 AM
I can only think of one. Mowbray. Most definately Petries best appointment, and i'll be surprised if he can find another. Fair enough, he wasn't successful at Celtic, but he got West Brom moving. I think, given time, he'll acheive success at Middlesbrough too. They're lucky to have him

hiberniaaah
14-11-2011, 06:34 AM
My mistake. Mowbray wasn't sacked, my bad!

PeeKay
14-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Mixu

Mixu might have been pressurised, but he resigned. In fact it is largely media hype that Hibs have a record of sacking managers. Certainly in the post-Mcleish era at Easter Road.

BEEJ
14-11-2011, 08:02 AM
And if the answer is 'none', should they have been recruited for the ER post in the first place?

Broken Gnome
14-11-2011, 08:58 AM
And the Mixu who was sacked/pushed/asked to leave was, by self-admission, nowhere the same Mixu that turned Killie around.

Ray_
14-11-2011, 09:06 AM
And if the answer is 'none', should they have been recruited for the ER post in the first place? :agree:

IWasThere2016
14-11-2011, 09:08 AM
And if the answer is 'none', should they have been recruited for the ER post in the first place?

:agree:

Pretty Boy
14-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Has Petrie sacked a manager before Calderwood?

Sauzee was sacked but Rod argued to keep him. Blobby and Mowbray left to go down south, Collins resigned, Mixu is a murky one but the official line is mutual consent, likewise with Hughes.

Keith_M
14-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Has Petrie sacked a manager before Calderwood?

Sauzee was sacked but Rod argued to keep him. Blobby and Mowbray left to go down south, Collins resigned, Mixu is a murky one but the official line is mutual consent, likewise with Hughes.

Surely that's just a polite way of saying sacked. You're not wanted by your employer any more so they make an agreement with you to leave with as little fuss as possible.

Don Giovanni
14-11-2011, 09:50 AM
It's almost a rhetorical question. The answer is Calderwood. Its been posted on here that "he has walked into a better job" (refering to Birmingham Assistant post - although I'm not sure he has been appointed anywhere yet). So that must be success.

Hakim Sar
14-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Was lexo müller sacked? Went to Liverpool and did well for himself!!

Hibbyradge
14-11-2011, 05:30 PM
The argument that they shouldn't have been appointed in the first place is a cheap shot, imo.

Most of the appointments received support and approval from the majority of posters on this messageboard.

Mowbray didn't, but he was a success and went on to further his career in Glasgow and in England.

CC was more of an uninspiring appointment, particularly when folk had got themselves into a frenzy about Steve Clarke, but some of the folk knocking Petrie about his appointment now, supported Calderwood until fairly recently and thought he was going to do great things.

It's ironic that Vlad sacks managers as often, but their fans applaud him for doing so. We blame RP for appointing the wrong people in the first place.

Most clubs have to sack some of their managers, but they're not accused of incompetence. Yes, we've had a few managers in the last decade, too many for any continuity imo, but several of them left of their own volition.

Hopefully the next one will be a huge success although if he is, he'll get poached by a bigger club and we can blame RP again. :wink:

greenlex
14-11-2011, 05:38 PM

If they interviewed well and were among the better candidates for the post then yes why not?

SkintHibby
14-11-2011, 05:43 PM
It's ironic that Vlad sacks managers as often, but their fans applaud him for doing so. We blame RP for appough if he is, he'll get poached by a bigger club and we can blame RP again. :wink:

Big difference. The mad one sacks managers when they are doing well!

Franck Stanton
14-11-2011, 05:49 PM
The argument that they shouldn't have been appointed in the first place is a cheap shot, imo.

Most of the appointments received support and approval from the majority of posters on this messageboard.

Mowbray didn't, but he was a success and went on to further his career in Glasgow and in England.

CC was more of an uninspiring appointment, particularly when folk had got themselves into a frenzy about Steve Clarke, but some of the folk knocking Petrie about his appointment now, supported Calderwood until fairly recently and thought he was going to do great things.

It's ironic that Vlad sacks managers as often, but their fans applaud him for doing so. We blame RP for appointing the wrong people in the first place.

Most clubs have to sack some of their managers, but they're not accused of incompetence. Yes, we've had a few managers in the last decade, too many for any continuity imo, but several of them left of their own volition.

Hopefully the next one will be a huge success although if he is, he'll get poached by a bigger club and we can blame RP again. :wink:

Hear Hear, good honest post.:thumbsup:

BEEJ
14-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Well it would be as you're obviously trying to make a point in support of RP by way of this thread.

Unfortunately you can't have it both ways. If he has been correct to rid us of certain Managers in so far as they have not subsequently been 'successful', then he was wrong to hire them in the first place as they came to us with little or no track record of 'success'.

If they interviewed well and were among the better candidates for the post then yes why not?
I'm not pretending that this is an exact science. However, if they haven't subsequently made it elsewhere in football management then, in terms of a recruitment gamble, they were the wrong choice for Hibs as well.

Hardly controversial.

Lang Toun Hibs
14-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Was lexo müller sacked? Went to Liverpool and did well for himself!!

No he resigned - had Dougie Cromb in tears.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Well it would be as you're obviously trying to make a point in support of RP by way of this thread.

It's a cheap point because it's a cheap point. I did go on to explain why it's a cheap point, but you've ignored that in order to justify the cheap point again.

This whole anti-Petire thing is folk needing to have a bogey man to blame.

That makes thing nice and simple and easy to understand. Good guys and bad guys. Cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians. Petrie's bad but someone else will be good.

Except reality just isn't like that.

BEEJ
15-11-2011, 11:48 AM
It's a cheap point because it's a cheap point. I did go on to explain why it's a cheap point, but you've ignored that in order to justify the cheap point again.
Sorry to disappoint you, but its just logic - as would have been clear had you read the rest of my post. :wink:

This whole anti-Petire thing is folk needing to have a bogey man to blame.

That makes thing nice and simple and easy to understand. Good guys and bad guys. Cops and robbers. Cowboys and Indians. Petrie's bad but someone else will be good.

Except reality just isn't like that.
Precisely. But you're probably as guilty of this over-simplification on this thread by highlighting his successes while ignoring the related failures.

Hibbyradge
15-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Precisely. But you're probably as guilty of this over-simplification on this thread by highlighting his successes while ignoring the related failures.

Carling's the best lager in the world. Probably. :wink:

If people only post negatives about RP, the only way to achieve balance, is to post the positives.

It's just too easy to blame him for all the club's woes and very unfair.

No-one knows if there is anyone on the planet who could have done a better job than Petrie. Just saying "There must be" doesn't make it so.

Until someone can name a candidate who could, and who would want to, it's just bitching at an easy target for the sake of it.

I'm 100% certain that everything RP does is intended to help the club. I'm certain he's doing the best he can with the resources at his disposal. The hatred he gets in return isn't justified. The "lining his own pockets" allegations are malicious and nonsense.

Those are the main reasons I defend the guy.