PDA

View Full Version : Realistic ambition for rest of the season.

andy1875
13-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Afternoon all, I've been reading the numerous posts on here over the last week or so and I myself still can't decide who I want as our next manager. Do we go for the experienced head in the mould of JJ or Jimmy Calderwood or do we go for the younger inexperienced Mikey O'Neill. One things for sure, the fans seem pretty split on this front.

With this decision in mind, what would be seen as good progress between now and end of the season? Mid table? Avoid relegation? Just what affect will gettin rid of CC have?

I guess time will tell but jus wondered what everyones thoughts were. I can't stand the idea of another season of "transition"

My own view is 5th-6th would be a decent return and hopefully a decent run in the Scottish.

Cheers guys

Hail Hail

Keith_M
13-11-2011, 02:59 PM
It depends on the appointment and how much he's backed by the board but I don't think top 6 is unrealistic, even in the position we are at the moment.

What I don't want to see is some guy coming in and winning the 7 games or so that it would take to avoid relegation and then thinking his work is done. Finishing the season in 10th/11th is just not good enough.

I really hope the players realise this as well, or the ones that don't should be emptied in January. Sorry for the cliche but they really have to either "shape up or ship out".

hibsbollah
13-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Win the Scottish Cup.

Phil MaGlass
13-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I think we can still make the top 4 masel, squad is good enough, i think the team just misses aggression and leadership.

jdships
13-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Afternoon all, I've been reading the numerous posts on here over the last week or so and I myself still can't decide who I want as our next manager. Do we go for the experienced head in the mould of JJ or Jimmy Calderwood or do we go for the younger inexperienced Mikey O'Neill. One things for sure, the fans seem pretty split on this front.

With this decision in mind, what would be seen as good progress between now and end of the season? Mid table? Avoid relegation? Just what affect will gettin rid of CC have?

I guess time will tell but jus wondered what everyones thoughts were. I can't stand the idea of another season of "transition"

My own view is 5th-6th would be a decent return and hopefully a decent run in the Scottish.

Cheers guys

Hail Hail

Given the situ we are currently in I personally would settle for a " top six " finish :agree:

brydekirk
13-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Things r tight so 5th or 6th is still a possible, would be disapionted with bottom 6 again.

Aldo
13-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Not to get relegated. ENDOF There are quite a few games between now and the next transfer window. All cup finals IMHO.

iwasthere1972
13-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Whoever comes in and takes the reigns should give priority to kicking ass and telling the players that they need to pull their fingers out and get results. 100% is needed and we haven't been getting that from anyone for the past couple of years.

This league is so bad this season that it's not impossible to claim 4th spot (3rd place is probably asking too much). Rod should summon them all to his office and take £80,000 (in £20 notes) out the safe and say "look you load of layabouts, each place in the SPL costs us this much so sort yourselves out"

4th spot and a good run in the Scottish Cup. That's the aim. Anything less is not enough.

SteveHFC
13-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Win the Scottish Cup.

:faf:

Sir David Gray
13-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Given that we are just 6 points behind 4th place at the moment, if we actually end up with a manager who has the faintest clue about what he is doing then I don't see why a top six place should be outwith the realms of possibility.

nortonhibby
13-11-2011, 03:29 PM
It depends on the appointment and how much he's backed by the board but I don't think top 6 is unrealistic, even in the position we are at the moment.

What I don't want to see is some guy coming in and winning the 7 games or so that it would take to avoid relegation and then thinking his work is done. Finishing the season in 10th/11th is just not good enough.

I really hope the players realise this as well, or the ones that don't should be emptied in January. Sorry for the cliche but they really have to either "shape up or ship out".

Good post and it mirrors my thoughts its all down to who gets the job and the financial backing the new management team get in the Jan Window.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2011, 03:30 PM
We still have no midfield and an awful defence, just staying up is the first priority imo.

scuttle
13-11-2011, 03:43 PM
An attack minded new manager that knows what he is doing,climbing the table and winning a derby for a change

hibee bouncer
13-11-2011, 03:56 PM
About 5/6th.

Spike Mandela
13-11-2011, 03:58 PM
The new guys target is 11th place, it is that grim!

Hopefully he will survive to be judged next year.

greenlex
13-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Realistic? If the defence was to get a bit meaner then top 4 is attainable.

Hibercelona
13-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I think staying up is our main aim this season. We've got some talented players amongst some dross. I'm doubtful that we'll make the top 6 this season.

Eyrie
13-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I prefer the positive view that we're six points behind fourth in a league where everyone is inconsistent to the negative take that we're one point above the relegation place. A new manager has to set positive targets to turn things round, so the first priority is a decent run of results to move us up the table. After that, we can think about consolidating a top six finish and a challenge for a European place.

I'd always prefer a Scottish Cup win however.

Dashing Bob S
13-11-2011, 04:31 PM
The Scottish Cup is a low-level tournament, when you consider the dross that's won it over the years. That our record is perversely and flukey-bad awful, merely compounds the embarrassment but it shouldn't be beyond us.

Nor should third still, in this terrible league, is Motherwell hit a bad patch.

yekimevol
13-11-2011, 04:46 PM
a run in the cup and 6th in the league.

thou that depends on who the new gaffer is if its jimmy calderwood, jj, or any other have decent gaffer they should make the split. but its another inexperienced or no knowledge of the spl. ill take avoiding relegation.

smurf
13-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Top six.

.Sean.
13-11-2011, 05:04 PM
A win against Hearts for a change would be nice.

nortonhibby
13-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Realistic? If the defence was to get a bit meaner then top 4 is attainable.

Agreed any club that goes on an unbeaten run of games will quickly climb the table CC Is gone now clean sheet of paper time for the players to perform.

Its top 4 for us i agree.

PISTOL1875
13-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Stay up..

Franck Stanton
13-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Whilst I would be delighted with a top six spot, have to admit we are in the same position as this time last year and avoiding relegation will have to suffice. As for us only being 6 points from 4th, another month from now [had we not binned CC] and i think this gap would have been a lot more. Need to start winning our home games at least.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Can't believe people are saying staying up is the ambition for the season, certainly explains some of the ridiculous shouts for the new manager.

If our players are that bad was cc really doing such a bad job then that even by bringing someone else in we don't expect us to improve?

Think we need to get some perspective here, its mid November, plenty time to start picking up points and with enough decent players currently in the squad plus any January additions ill confidently put my cock on the block and say there's no danger we'll go down.

Competing for a top 6 place would be an acceptable start for a new manager

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Can't believe people are saying staying up is the ambition for the season, certainly explains some of the ridiculous shouts for the new manager.

If our players are that bad was cc really doing such a bad job then that even by bringing someone else in we don't expect us to improve?

Think we need to get some perspective here, its mid November, plenty time to start picking up points and with enough decent players currently in the squad plus any January additions ill confidently put my cock on the block and say there's no danger we'll go down.

Calderclown brought 14 players to the club since he walked through the door. Yet only 5, less than half were deemed good enough to start his last disaster against Dunfermline.

Yes he was doing a bad job, and there was nothing ridiculous about wanting that idiot away from the club.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Completely agree, that's why its ridiculous to think we won't improve now he's gone.

Those that think staying up is the realistic ambition now, are you really telling me if the new manager comes in and we finish 11th you'll honestly think he'll have done a good job?

bingo70
13-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry blackpool, just realised what u meant, just to clarify I meant some of the suggestions to be the new manager were ridiculous

Spike Mandela
13-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Completely agree, that's why its ridiculous to think we won't improve now he's gone.

Those that think staying up is the realistic ambition now, are you really telling me if the new manager comes in and we finish 11th you'll honestly think he'll have done a good job?

I think we have a large bunch of duds at the club and the new guy has his work cut out as did Calderwood.

Honestly hope you are right bingo but having watched us all season I can't see which team in the league has worse players than us with a few honourable exceptions.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 07:08 PM
So you honestly think if we finish the season in 11th and win maybe 4 or 5 games between now and the end of the season the new guy will have done a good job?

Spike Mandela
13-11-2011, 07:21 PM
So you honestly think if we finish the season in 11th and win maybe 4 or 5 games between now and the end of the season the new guy will have done a good job?

I am saying that any manager is going to have his work cut out with this group of players.

To say it is realistic to acheive 4th spot just by changing the manager is asking a lot .Performances have been dire and we have too many poor players imo.

I think the board feared relegation and this is why CC was cut not because they think we should be 4th although I understand that is their target at the beginning of every season.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree, top 4 is too much for this group of players, however, if we go on a good run and manage to organise and motivate them then top 6 should be the realistic target, if we fall short of that target then so be it as long as there's sign of improvement ill be satisfied.

To say 11th is our realistic ambition is ridiculously pessimistic imo, even by hibs.net standards

Spike Mandela
13-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I agree, top 4 is too much for this group of players, however, if we go on a good run and manage to organise and motivate them then top 6 should be the realistic target, if we fall short of that target then so be it as long as there's sign of improvement ill be satisfied.

To say 11th is our realistic ambition is ridiculously pessimistic imo, even by hibs.net standards

Pessimistic, yes......ridiculous I'm afraid not.

We shall agree to differ and I sincerely hope you are right.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't think the idea of us being relegated is ridiculous, I know that can happen, especially if we appoint a dud, I'm saying that our realistic ambition should be greater than 11th!

nortonhibby
13-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Agreed 11th place ambition is not on the menu in my book we are far to big a club to be thinking that way.

Top 4 and The Sottish cup hear me out all we need is a good draw a home tie in each round, this season still has a lot to offer.

With CC Gone we have hope.

Aldo
13-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Let's face facts... And cold hard facts at that

12 wins in 49 matches with only 1 win at home all year... That is relegation material in my eyes.

We really are in a fight and TBH if we continually give away goals then we are screwed. I honestly thought we would beat Dunfy but they wanted it more ENDOF.

At the moment it's about rolling up the sleeves and fighting for our SPL survival.

Yes I do realise that it is early in the season but sorry the signs are all there ( including the facts) to see.

Pushovers .... No fight leadership or organisation.

We are rank rotten and I can only hope the other teams around us go on very bad runs (fingers crossed).

Time to see who has the bottle and show the fans what the club means to them

bingo70
13-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Do you not expect it to get better with a new manager though aldo? Isn't that why we sacked coco?

I'll ask u the same question I asked earlier, if we finish 11th you'll honestly be pleased with the job the new guys done?

SteveHFC
13-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Top 6

andy1875
13-11-2011, 09:07 PM
So the general consensus is that we can still do well this season if we get the right man in the job!

I wish I shared that optimism! Just getting one over the daydreamers from Gorgie sometime soon would be a start. Been faaaaaaaaar to long!

Hail Hail

hibsbollah
13-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Win the Scottish Cup. I've changed my mind. The Cup isnt enough. We need to beat Celtc, Huns and yams on the way, yams in the final if at all possible with Ian Black sustaining a nasty decapitation and Franck Sauzee being a guest of honour in the hibs box and being allowed to hold the cup aloft at the final whistle. Followed by a champagne fuelled post match party with lifelong hibby Aliona from strictly come dancing.Anything less must be considered a failure.

3pm
13-11-2011, 09:49 PM
3rd.

Septimus
14-11-2011, 06:57 AM
It seems totally unrealistic to hope for anything other than survival this year. A couple of Saturdays ago our team proved that they could not score at home against Dunfermline and hardly looked like scoring. Even if the new manager can persuade the prima donnas to extract their fingers it seems unlikely that the basic skill is there to mount a challenge in the league or the cup.

Keep them up this year and start to exploit the youth coming through as soon as possible. No more journeymen on the slide........PLEASE

matty_f
14-11-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm with you on this one, Bingo.

Top 6 should still, and always be, the absolute minimum expectation. 4th should be the realistic target for the new manager.

Craig_in_Prague
14-11-2011, 08:47 AM
I said when hughes was punted that we can't get any worse.
I'll never say that, ever again.

We could get worse even now, we could easily be relegated. We're easy to beat, especially at ER, which is worrying.

I'd like to think we will become more stable post new manager, play better football and finish mid table at worse, but there's no guarentee's of that and unlike last season - there's no obvious team that appear worse than the rest..........

--------
14-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Cheers guys

Hail Hail

If we sign up an experienced manager who gets the fans on hios side and looks like he's capable of mid-to-long-term planning and bringing younger guys into the team, I'll be happy - providing we stay up.

First priority HAS to be SPL survival. Cup run would be nice.