PDA

View Full Version : Aidan Smith: Is this Hibs team a bunch of fondant fancies or a meringue?

grunt
13-11-2011, 07:15 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport-columnists/aidan-smith/aidan_smith_is_this_hibs_team_a_bunch_of_fondant_f ancies_or_a_meringue_1_1963723

Interview with CC after "couple" of months as Hibs manager. Quote, “This team are soft as s**t,” he said. “In all my time in football I’ve never come across one like it.”

cammy1969
13-11-2011, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=grunt;2986323]http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport-columnists/aidan-smith/aidan_smith_is_this_hibs_team_a_bunch_of_fondant_f ancies_or_a_meringue_1_1963723

Interview with CC after "couple" of months as Hibs manager. Quote, “This team are soft as s**t,” he said. “In all my time in football I’ve never come across one like it.”[/QUOTE but the thing that will get a lot of fans is that a year on this hibs team is still soft as s*%t

Beefster
13-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Calderwood's ultimately failure was not making the team harder IMO. The team needed a complete clear-out in the summer and, for whatever reason, he didn't make enough changes (whoever made the decision to keep Stevenson and Galbraith deserved the sack). The squad is still full of players who are pushed off a ball and crumble too easily.

ano hibby
13-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Calderwood's ultimately failure was not making the team harder IMO. The team needed a complete clear-out in the summer and, for whatever reason, he didn't make enough changes (whoever made the decision to keep Stevenson and Galbraith deserved the sack). The squad is still full of players who are pushed off a ball and crumble too easily.

Good aRticle that:agree:

Spike Mandela
13-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Maybe if he hadn't made the statement off the record people might have had a different opinion of him.

Beefster
13-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Maybe if he hadn't made the statement off the record people might have had a different opinion of him.

In his defence, we also might have ended up relegated.

Alfred E Newman
13-11-2011, 08:50 AM
We have been a soft touch for years. Having a bit of steel about the side doesnt have to turn the team into a bunch of cloggers and hoofball merchants though. Eddie Turnbulls side were a brilliant footballing side but no one could ever call them soft.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-11-2011, 09:33 AM
We have been a soft touch for years. Having a bit of steel about the side doesnt have to turn the team into a bunch of cloggers and hoofball merchants though. Eddie Turnbulls side were a brilliant footballing side but no one could ever call them soft.

Not soft physically, but not strong enough mentally at times, i.e. with a bit more consistency they would have won the league once, even twice. IIRC their record against the OF was relatively poor, considering the quality they had.

Aberdeen in the eighties, on the other hand, were hard on the pitch but also hard mentally. I think the manager they had at the time, whatever his name was, may have had something to do with it.

Niffy
13-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I think this is quite an interesting statement.
Lots of folk have said similar things like since East Mains was opened we've been worse.

Could it be that a top training facility will only really benefit really gifted players who just want to do some warm gym work... while our typical shower see it as
some more comfort for their already lazy ***** ?

Could be setting a really soft & lazy mentality, whilst in the old days of beach & Arthurs seat running the players were hard as nails and used to some crazy graft ?

hibsbollah
13-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I know we're all supposed to like Aidan Smith but his writing is as clumpy as a big clumpy thing. And the denouement of heartfelt where he starts to want the yams to win gives me the dry boak.

Phil MaGlass
13-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Thing is we have a grafter and hard tackler in Murray, just apity he,s not a hard bassa that can kick his team mates lazy asses. Mibbe we do miss a hardass captain

Baader
13-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Calderwood once told me that his ideal was "tough to crack, very hard to get through but with a good, consistent centre. A perfect balance structured around that touch of class in the middle that takes over and will be sure to have people coming back for more."

Unfortunately he was talking about sweeties again...

CraigK
13-11-2011, 04:45 PM
I know we're all supposed to like Aidan Smith but his writing is as clumpy as a big clumpy thing. And the denouement of heartfelt where he starts to want the yams to win gives me the dry boak.

You're 100% correct, terrible writer, Heartfelt is a piece of crap and he comes acrosss as a total :asshole:

However, i think his analysis is spot on here.

blackpoolhibs
13-11-2011, 04:53 PM

I tried to read that pile of crap, but gave up after about 25 pages. There's something just not right about a Hibs fan going to watch them.

SkintHibby
13-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I tried to read that pile of crap, but gave up after about 25 pages. There's something just not right about a Hibs fan going to watch them.

Jeez, I thought I was the only one who struggled with that book! Could not get into it at all and gave up!:rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
13-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Not a bad article but didn't really recognise the team in the heading, I'd have gone for a blacmange, wobbly on the outside and soft in the middle.

hibsbollah
13-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Not a bad article but didn't really recognise the team in the heading, I'd have gone for a blacmange, wobbly on the outside and soft in the middle. I'd say we're more like a tiramisu. A bit classier than your average pudding but soft, prone to sudden collapses and soaked with booze :greengrin

Bostonhibby
13-11-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd say we're more like a tiramisu. A bit classier than your average pudding but soft, prone to sudden collapses and soaked with booze :greengrin

:faf: :not worth definitely the one

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-11-2011, 05:57 PM
The original quote is still valid. All you need to do is take the words " soft as " from it.

--------
14-11-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday/sport-columnists/aidan-smith/aidan_smith_is_this_hibs_team_a_bunch_of_fondant_f ancies_or_a_meringue_1_1963723

Interview with CC after "couple" of months as Hibs manager. Quote, “This team are soft as s**t,” he said. “In all my time in football I’ve never come across one like it.”

He's no wrang - they're a bunch of wimps who give up as soon as something goes wrong. The question is, WHY?

flash
14-11-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd say we're more like a tiramisu. A bit classier than your average pudding but soft, prone to sudden collapses and soaked with booze :greengrin

Just quoting this as it made me laugh on a crap Monday morning at work.

--------
14-11-2011, 12:22 PM

How very, very true. :agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
14-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Thing is we have a grafter and hard tackler in Murray, just apity he,s not a hard bassa that can kick his team mates lazy asses. Mibbe we do miss a hardass captain

Is Martin Scott not a hard bassa, maybe O'Hanlan as well. Can't think of any others that would intimidate the opposition. We need a Maty Jack.

I thought Heartfelt was alright and quite funny. There were parts where he did seem a bit too comfy watching the ****bos but he was probably trying to appeal to hearts fans and double his sales.

Andy74
14-11-2011, 04:31 PM
CC signed 14 players and made no difference to this fact.

Just kicking people now and again is not being hard or brave. Neither is shaving your head.

3pm
14-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Re your point about clearing decks.

I posted in the summer that, IMO, that was the opportunity to change the mindset of the club and bring in a degree professionalism....training and approach to name the obvious things but we blew that opportunity. Saying that, we'll get the chance again in the summer with the amount of contracts due to expire.