PDA

View Full Version : Not another ex player

Monkey Harris
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
How many times have we went down this route. But "he's one of our own".

We need an experienced manager to steady the ship.

Michael O'Neil is still a young manager, and has never managed at a club this size.

I think stability is needed at this time, and an old hand is needed as we sit at the wrong end of the SPL. Even if only till the end of the season.

Hibby Kay-Yay
12-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Michael O'Neil is still a young manager, and has never managed at a club this size.

I think stability is needed at this time, and an old hand is needed as we sit at the wrong end of the SPL. Even if only till the end of the season.

Just like when we announced Tony Mowbray...he done alright

hibsbollah
12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Balls. It needs to be someone Hibernian Minded®...that means an ex-player without a doubt. If Sammy Morrow or Thierry Gathuessi arent at the very least on the shortlist i will ambush Petrie at Behind the Goals and remove his moustache with a blunt pair of secateurs.

SquashedFrogg
12-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Steady mate. You'd better batten down the hatches. Don't you know what happens when you make statements like that? Brace yourself for being a yam sympathiser and not good enough to support the club :aok:

Michael O'Neil is a far better candidate than any experienced manager will ever be. :agree:

down the slope
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
As i said on another thread last week, ET was an ex player. Won the cup for Aberdeen and he had previously managed Queens park before that so it has been done, we just have to pick the right one !.

bingo70
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Calderwood was experienced but failed.

Any experienced manager we could get would have failed at least one club so why are they less likely to fail at us than a young manager thats only ever been successfull wherever he's been?

SquashedFrogg
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Balls. It needs to be someone Hibernian Minded®...that means an ex-player without a doubt. If Sammy Morrow or Thierry Gathuessi arent at the very least on the shortlist i will ambush Petrie at Behind the Goals and remove his moustache with a blunt pair of secateurs.

:tee hee:

Andy74
12-11-2011, 05:05 PM

The recent experienced managers we've had have been the worst of the lot.

wazoo1875
12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
The recent experienced managers we've had have been the worst of the lot. Exactly Andy, I would much rather have someone young, enthusiastic with good ideas that's desperate to prove himself over 2 or 3 years in order to move up to the next level. Supporting Hibs under Mowbrays stewardship was excellent, every single person that went ER back then were all behind the team and the club 100%. We need to get back to something of the same standard and soon, otherwise we will be going to ER as a chore and not because we want to. It's MON for me and I'd like him to bring Jim Magilton with him. GGTTH

Aldo
12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Exactly Andy, I would much rather have someone young, enthusiastic with good ideas that's desperate to prove himself over 2 or 3 years in order to move up to the next level. Supporting Hibs under Mowbrays stewardship was excellent, every single person that went ER back then were all behind the team and the club 100%. We need to get back to something of the same standard and soon, otherwise we will be going to ER as a chore and not because we want to. It's MON for me and I'd like him to bring Jim Magilton with him. GGTTH

MON and JM would be an excellent pairing IMHO. We shall hopefully find out in the next week or so.

bingo70
12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Calderwood was experienced but failed.

Any experienced manager we could get would have failed at least one club so why are they less likely to fail at us than a young manager thats only ever been successfull wherever he's been?

Exactly Andy, I would much rather have someone young, enthusiastic with good ideas that's desperate to prove himself over 2 or 3 years in order to move up to the next level. Supporting Hibs under Mowbrays stewardship was excellent, every single person that went ER back then were all behind the team and the club 100%. We need to get back to something of the same standard and soon, otherwise we will be going to ER as a chore and not because we want to. It's MON for me and I'd like him to bring Jim Magilton with him. GGTTH

Am i on your ignore list Wazoo ya throbber?????!!!!!

Seriously though, completely agree, why people are so determined to get another williamson instead of potentially another Mowbray I'll never know.

greenlex
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Sam Morrow is flying high at Ross County in the first division. What has happened to Darren McCormack? Anyone know?

Aldo
12-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Sam Morrow is flying high at Ross County in the first division. What has happened to Darren McCormack? Anyone know?

Did Darren not break his leg or something. Serious one I think.

greenlex
12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Did Darren not break his leg or something. Serious one I think.

Not sure. I was checking RossCounties squad on their website to make sure Morrow was still there and noticed McCormack wasnt and just wondered.

wazoo1875
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Am i on your ignore list Wazoo ya throbber?????!!!!!Seriously though, completely agree, why people are so determined to get another williamson instead of potentially another Mowbray I'll never know. Did someone say something? Sorry Beans

HKhibby
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
No way Michael O Neil!...no experience and another novice because he has done well with Shamrock Rovers!...no thanks!

wazoo1875
12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
No way Michael O Neil!...no experience and another novice because he has done well with Shamrock Rovers!...no thanks! Make your mind up he's either got no experience and therefore a novice or he's done well as a manager at another club ;-)Out of curiosity can you say who you'd like to manage us.

jdships
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM

90% of me agrees with you :greengrin
The other 10% says can we afford , the state Hibs are in, to appoint a young manager ?
$64000 question for those in charge whoever they might be :wink:

:flag:

Andy74
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
90% of me agrees with you :greengrin
The other 10% says can we afford , the state Hibs are in, to appoint a young manager ?
$64000 question for those in charge whoever they might be :wink:

:flag:

It's just the right manager that counts.

jdships
12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
It's just the right manager that counts.

Agree with you 100% this time :agree::thumbsup::greengrin

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2011, 08:09 PM

What's the point in appointing somebody for a few months? I'd rather see us risk failure/success rather settle for the mediocrity of the usual uninspiring names that get bandied around.

lyonhibs
12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Couldn't care less if they are or aren't an ex-player. what's most important is that the board show a modicum of bravery and imagination and don't just go for one of the usual "Scottish Football" suspects (although, being specific I mean JJ or Tango Man)

ronaldo7
12-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Kicks the **** out the yams:greengrin

Brebners Bookie
13-11-2011, 03:01 AM
I would rather the board appointed someone who is potentially great than someone who is 'steady'. Not the hibs way.

JimBHibees
14-11-2011, 09:12 AM
What I think is paramount for the next appointment is that they are allowed to bring in their own staff also, none of this having to do with people who are already there. The Adams Assistant role was bizarre in the extreme IMO and must not happen again if the manager is given the best chance to succeed.

Twa Cairpets
14-11-2011, 09:33 AM
The two ends of the spectrum are not "experienced" and "inexperienced".

There are loads of experienced managers who arent particularly good, and there will be younger/inexperienced managers who are very good.

There's a cliched saying that it's better to seek success than to avoid failure, and the apppointment of Tangoman or someone of his ilk would be very much the latter. MON for me - the fact he once played for Hibs is irrelevant.

Saorsa
14-11-2011, 10:59 AM
What I think is paramount for the next appointment is that they are allowed to bring in their own staff also, none of this having to do with people who are already there. The Adams Assistant role was bizarre in the extreme IMO and must not happen again if the manager is given the best chance to succeed.:agree: or any other kind of interference, fat chance. IMO the manager is the most important person at the club in fitba matters, others seem tae think it's them.

As for the ex Hibs player thing, rubbish IMO. Maybe they failed because they werenae very good, maybe they failed because they were working with one hand tied behind their back, or both, naebody failed because of who they used tae play for.

Albion Hibs
14-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Given the rate that we go through managers I think it is a bit silly to be ruling out certain ones as they have been involved in the club before. I will take the best man for the job, if that means he has been involved in the club before then fine.

Experienced managers come with a price tag, especially those ones that have been successful so I think we need to be realistic.

I would more than happily take someone who wants to make a name for themselves and understands Hibs and the requirements we have.