PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill wonder goal

HibsMax
11-11-2011, 09:51 PM
With all the talk of possible managerial appointments and with Michael O'Neill's name being in the mix, it reminded me of this wonderful goal.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA

Go to about 2:45 and start from there.

Lofarl
11-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I mind that goal. One of the best I have saw at ER.

Spike Mandela
11-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I remember I was walking back from the old pie hut at back of east stand with two pies and missed that fantastic goal. Greedy barsteward!:greengrin

Saorsa
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Absolutely fantastic strike. :thumbsup: He was one of my favourite players at Easter Road back in the days when I used tae have favourite players.

HibsMax
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
almost one touch football.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Great to watch again and resurrect some very happy memories :thumbsup:

greenlex
11-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Possibly the most telling thing about that clip is that every payer in green and white would walk into the current team . So would most ofthe Motherwell players.

Godsahibby
11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Possibly one of the most exciting line ups that I've watched at ER with O'Neill and Crunchie on the wings, McGinley in midfield and Jackson and Wright up front.

Barney McGrew
11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
My favourite goal we've ever scored at ER.

Sublime finish, he never even broke stride.

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Great goal :thumbsup:

The atmosphere looked class aswell as the football, i can only wonder if i will get to see this for myself (that i can remember).

Look at the cross from Mickey Weir. First time and brilliant. Our players have to take a touch and still do a rubbish one.

Thanks for posting the video. :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Brilliant Goal :thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
11-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Look at the cross from Mickey Weir. First time and brilliant

Take another look, I think you might need to go to Specsavers.

Unless Mickey developed a pretty good suntan back then :wink:

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Take another look, I think you might need to go to Specsavers.

Unless Mickey developed a pretty good suntan back then :wink:

Not for the goal, for a cross that was headed clear. :greengrin

Godsahibby
11-11-2011, 10:49 PM

The atmosphere looked class aswell as the football, i can only wonder if i will get to see this for myself (that i can remember).

Look at the cross from Mickey Weir. First time and brilliant. Our players have to take a touch and still do a rubbish one.

Mickey Weir must have been blasting the sunbeds!

Edit, beat me to it!

lyonhibs
11-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Look even closer - that Harper fellae couldn't half cross a ball............ :na na::greengrin

--------
11-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Huh! Bloomin' Route One football.... :rolleyes:

That was Alex Miller for you.

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 11:05 PM
@godsahibby and @lyonhibs too slow :na na:

hibeedonald
11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
What volley was better, this or Stewart's?

Hin10
11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
One of my best memories at Easter Road back in the day.

Saorsa
11-11-2011, 11:54 PM
What volley was better, this or Stewart's?Stewart's was a great finish but for me O'Neill's was in a different class.

ALF TUPPER
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Quality stuff - thanks for that. Remember it well.

7Hero
12-11-2011, 12:24 AM
ill never forget...

i was in a shoe shop in blackhall.....

and in walked eddie turnbull...

he said to me "son, theres only 1 player worth a sh** at hibs and thats the magician Michael O'neill..."

"That boy is different class....."

and he was right...

Can he be a manager ? Is life that kind..... ? oh i wish it was......

J-C
12-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Great goal and just shows that we were vying for 2nd/3rd with Motherwell at the time, both teams playing good attractive football on the deck.

The stadium was unrecognisible from todays ground and the strips with the green/white stripes down the sleeves, a great blast from the past.
:greengrin

sven nil
12-11-2011, 04:27 AM
yes please rod go get him for manager please watching that i would love him at e.r scored a good goal and what an engine he had,hes got a good managerial record .wee willie miller was lucky not to be sent off for that tackle on him :wink:

PS I would take Mon also

FRes Hibbie
12-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Looked like an excellent game to be honest. I don't think I've ever seen a clearer yellow card-worthy foul than the one Willie Miller got away with right at the end! :greengrin

Niffy
12-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Goal against Hearts on New Years day was fairly well received as well... we came from a goal down I think to win 2-1.
I was rather rather drunk.

Alfred E Newman
12-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Huh! Bloomin' Route One football.... :rolleyes:

That was Alex Miller for you.

Aye, grim stuff from the Mogodon days. Makes the present lot of duffers look like Brazil. :greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
12-11-2011, 07:48 AM
I was a ball boy then, along with Ian Murray - but that side was full of very decent players.

As someone said, Hibs v Well, 2nd and 3rd playing out a great game and footy on the deck. They are producing good stuff at the moment, but as for Hibs.......we've got a long way to get ER back to being an exciting place like it has been for large periods in our history.

Nice 1st goal too for anyone that started from 2.45mins like OP suggested.

basehibby
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Great goal - great game - great attacking line up from the oft criticised Alex Miller - great atmosphere in a 2nd vs 3rd clash - this is what we want :drool:

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes, a great game, nice football, etc etc but were we really any happier back then than we are now?

Franck Stanton
12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, a great game, nice football, etc etc but were we really any happier back then than we are now?

Nope, we as a support wanted rid of "boring" Alex Miller, seems to prove you never miss what you have till it's gone. For the record I wanted Miller out as well. From this clip and games I still have on dvd of that era, we had much more tempo about us and not short of skill also.

aberhibsfc
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Say what you like about Miller but this was a decent team he assembled. One of the best 3 in my times as a Hibby.

The other two being McLeish & Mowbray teams although Mowbray's goalkeeper selection held the team back a bit.

TheEastTerrace
12-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Probably not, but at least we weren't being fleeced £450 per season for the privilege - granted I was only 13 but my ST back then only cost a mere £45 IIRC.

HibbyAndy
12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Screamer :agree:

But my favourite MON goal was against Raith at Easter rd in a 5-0 win i think?..Where he delicately chipped the goalkeeper from just outside the 18 yard box, Absolute sublime :agree:

BTW that was with his Right foot..Great 2 footed player :agree:

Kaiser Sauzee
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Remember the well goal from the o.p. Was there that day too, think it might have been a hibs kids game.
Seem to recall a beauty he scored against Dundee utd

frazeHFC
12-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Probably not, but at least we weren't being fleeced £450 per season for the privilege - granted I was only 13 but my ST back then only cost a mere £45 IIRC. Now you would get 2 games for that! :na na:

heidtheba
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Ah happy days! One of my favourite matches of all time. What a team - Harper, o'Neill, Jackson and McAllister.
Dear God what I'd do to get that type of player now.

stu in nottingham
12-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Fond memories of that era. Some great entertainers and real quality in the team.

Spike Mandela
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Say what you like about Miller but this was a decent team he assembled. One of the best 3 in my times as a Hibby.

Certainly was one of the best Hibs teams but it took him around 8 turgid years to arrive at it. nobody can ever accuse the board of not giving Miller time.:greengrin

--------
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Stewart's was a great finish but for me O'Neill's was in a different class.

One-touch from Harper as well as O'Neill. Magical.

edwards
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Some great players in both teams and hopefuly another candidate Billy Davies scoring for Motherwell

GreenCastle
12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the memories :agree:

Players looked much sharper / fitter than this current lot - strange as diet and fitness have changed so much over the years.

Looking forward to the day when we start to play attacking free flowing football again - wonder when it will be.. :rolleyes:

Cabbage East
12-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Reminds me of why I love the Hibs. Loved those days. Proper fans, players that cared.

ekhibee
12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Goal against Hearts on New Years day was fairly well received as well... we came from a goal down I think to win 2-1.
I was rather rather drunk.
It was a good goal, but Harpers was even better-volley from the edge of the box.

jabis
12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Probably not, but at least we weren't being fleeced £450 per season for the privilege - granted I was only 13 but my ST back then only cost a mere £45 IIRC.

so,17 years ago,paying a junior price(what are they now ?)to "sit" in the pissing rain in an uncovered "stand"........................:rolleyes:

sorry,just being grumpy...again.

Steve-O
13-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Nope, we as a support wanted rid of "boring" Alex Miller, seems to prove you never miss what you have till it's gone. For the record I wanted Miller out as well. From this clip and games I still have on dvd of that era, we had much more tempo about us and not short of skill also.

That season was decent, and of course so was 91/92, but other than that, we were the very definition of mediocre most of the time. And who can forget the 22 in a row that Miller presided over...?

basehibby
13-11-2011, 02:17 AM

At the time absolutely YES!!!

Even if Auld Lexo got it tight from some quarters he was widely acknowledged to have put together a pretty exciting team that season.

As always seems to be the case though, it didn't last for long as the likes of Jackson and O'Neill were tempted away and Wright and McAllister put out to pasture. Then it was back to normal and we were all miserable again :sairhead::I'm waiti:worried::furious::panic::wtf::boo hoo:

basehibby
13-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Screamer :agree:

But my favourite MON goal was against Raith at Easter rd in a 5-0 win i think?..Where he delicately chipped the goalkeeper from just outside the 18 yard box, Absolute sublime :agree:

BTW that was with his Right foot..Great 2 footed player :agree:

Twas a 3-2 win IIRC with great goals all round including a cracker from Crunchie McAllister after he beat just about every player on the pitch twice. O'Neill's was indeed a thing of beauty though - aah the memories :smokin

Steve-O
13-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Twas a 3-2 win IIRC with great goals all round including a cracker from Crunchie McAllister after he beat just about every player on the pitch twice. O'Neill's was indeed a thing of beauty though - aah the memories :smokin

Think you are right. Considering I was only about 12 at the time, I bizarrely remember that game as when one of the goals was scored a full Bovril went flying over my head in the cowshed and hit someone right in the back down nearer the front! Obviously I thought this was hilarious at the time :greengrin

HibbyAndy
13-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Your spot on :aok:...Was a midweek game :agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
13-11-2011, 08:25 PM
At the time absolutely YES!!!

Even if Auld Lexo got it tight from some quarters he was widely acknowledged to have put together a pretty exciting team that season.

As always seems to be the case though, it didn't last for long as the likes of Jackson and O'Neill were tempted away and Wright and McAllister put out to pasture. Then it was back to normal and we were all miserable again :sairhead::I'm waiti:worried::furious::panic::wtf::boo hoo:

Though the Skol Cup win was the highpoint of what was generally a miserable tenure, this team was the best assembled by Lexo, even then the crowds were poor that season. Missing out on second place by a mere point, finishing above Celtic sounds good but my strongest feeling at the time was disappointment and I still feel that way looking back, we had a great chance to win the cup that season but blew it in the semi (with Airdrie awaiting the winners) against a p**h poor Celtic team who we had been above all season and were certainly a weaker team than us

Mixu62
13-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Think you are right. Considering I was only about 12 at the time, I bizarrely remember that game as when one of the goals was scored a full Bovril went flying over my head in the cowshed and hit someone right in the back down nearer the front! Obviously I thought this was hilarious at the time :greengrin

Although O'Neill did chip the keeper in the 5-0 rout of Dundee Utd on the opening day of the season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_uPJIGkus Might you be thinking of that one? Also a great display. At about 3:15 on the attached clip.

KWJ
14-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Though the Skol Cup win was the highpoint of what was generally a miserable tenure, this team was the best assembled by Lexo, even then the crowds were poor that season. Missing out on second place by a mere point, finishing above Celtic sounds good but my strongest feeling at the time was disappointment and I still feel that way looking back, we had a great chance to win the cup that season but blew it in the semi (with Airdrie awaiting the winners) against a p**h poor Celtic team who we had been above all season and were certainly a weaker team than us

Was that the year we played them at Ibrox for a 0-0 and then lost 2-1 in the replay? Remember being at Ibrox for Hibs Celtic certainly.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Was that the year we played them at Ibrox for a 0-0 and then lost 2-1 in the replay? Remember being at Ibrox for Hibs Celtic certainly. Yes, first game was on a Friday night and Jim Leighton saved a penalty.

I'm_cabbaged
14-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Yes, first game was on a Friday night and Jim Leighton saved a penalty. After mcstay dived about two yards outside the box.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-11-2011, 06:25 AM
After mcstay dived about two yards outside the box.
:agree:
Another memory of that Semi was en-route to the replay the side blew off my mates car as we went along the bypass, undeterred after pulling up for a quick look we continued on to Ibrox, unsurprisingly the wingless wonder got some curious looks.

Speedway
14-11-2011, 08:50 AM

:agree: Spent all my time in the east in those days. 'Miller out' and 'Hamilton, yer a puff' and 'Gonnae dae some work Jackson?' were all regular shouts in that era.

I maintain that we've always been a miserable bunch of bandstanders and the same goes for the Mowbray era, there was scant praise available. We spent a lot of time of Shiels being unable to find a green shirt, Murphy being too slow to get back, Whitty trying to take on a player too many and attacking the defence in general for being lightweight and scared.

Scant praise in the east. That said, Weir and Riordan were untouchable, never a bad word said about those two.

With regard to that video, look at the tempo, look at the work rate, look at the fight. We still wanted Miller out.

Definiately more poisonous these days though.

Andy74
14-11-2011, 09:10 AM
More chances in that clip than we've made for a couple of years.

Don't let it fool anyone about the Miller era though!

By that stage we had some cracking players but they were generally badly used and out position.

calumb
14-11-2011, 09:15 AM
:agree: Spent all my time in the east in those days. 'Miller out' and 'Hamilton, yer a puff' and 'Gonnae dae some work Jackson?' were all regular shouts in that era.

I maintain that we've always been a miserable bunch of bandstanders and the same goes for the Mowbray era, there was scant praise available. We spent a lot of time of Shiels being unable to find a green shirt, Murphy being too slow to get back, Whitty trying to take on a player too many and attacking the defence in general for being lightweight and scared.

Scant praise in the east. That said, Weir and Riordan were untouchable, never a bad word said about those two.

With regard to that video, look at the tempo, look at the work rate, look at the fight. We still wanted Miller out.Definiately more poisonous these days though.

yes but that team was a blip in Millers tedious reign as manager. Someone once told me that Miller's record as Hibs manager was that he won a third, lost a third and drew a third and that on average the team scored 1 goal a game and lost 1 goal a game. Not sure how accurate this is but i reckon its pretty close. Despite having some cracking attacking players during his time in the likes of Weir, Wright, Jackson and O'neill most games tended to be dour defensive battles.
It used to do my nut that he used to pull every man back into the box when we were defending corners, we were right to shout Miller out in my opinion.

roondheid
14-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Interview and goals from Crunchy & Mon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XKPNht7EvU&

sambajustice
14-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Leightons Save at about 6:35!

Brilliant!!

Speedway
14-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Leightons Save at about 6:35!

Brilliant!!

Bandy is my all time fave keeper, not Hibs keeper, but keeper full stop.

JustSimplyHibs
14-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Willie Miller's tackle towards the end mwhaha excellent, followed up by a quality photographic save from the free kick by Leighton.

IWasThere2016
14-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I must've been charmed under Lexo because I don't recall seeing many defeats. I didn't attend Derbies right enough! The painful ones were 2-1 v Huns in LC, and a SC semi v the Sheep.

But I also some cracking games/victories especially with Keith, Jacko, Crunchie, MON - regular 5 past Pars, Jags etc.

Great 3-2 late fight back from 0-2 v Arabs at ER midweek, the OP game and many more. Hampden v Pars was amazing as was the LC semi v Arabs at Tynie when Jacko got the winner. I always felt Lexo wasn't given enough credit from our support personally. The 22 games run was IMHO as on many occasions we were the better team but they got the breaks!

Budgie, Leighton, Murdo, Archie etc also - great days!

Billy McKirdy
15-11-2011, 12:04 AM
This is also my all-time favourite goal that I've seen at Easter Road :greengrin

Been looking on YouTube for this for years though havent checked recently (uploaded in June)

It's been KeepVidded http://keepvid.com/ already lol

Glory Glory :thumbsup:

reservoir hibee
15-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Although O'Neill did chip the keeper in the 5-0 rout of Dundee Utd on the opening day of the season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_uPJIGkus Might you be thinking of that one? Also a great display. At about 3:15 on the attached clip.

i would pay to see that type of football again!!