PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Cyprus vs Scotland and Play-Offs

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Scotland Team to Face Cyprus in the meaningless Friendly.

Scotland team: McGregor, Whittaker, Berra, Caldwell, Bardsley, Mackie, Cowie, Fletcher, Morrison, Robson, Miller.

Substitutes (from): Gilks, Samson, Crainey, Hanley, MacKenzie, Conway, McArthur, Snodgrass, Stevenson, Goodwillie, Mackail-Smith, Rhodes.

Rhodes should be starting :bye:

silverhibee
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Scotland Team to Face Cyprus in the meaningless Friendly.

Scotland team: McGregor, Whittaker, Berra, Caldwell, Bardsley, Mackie, Cowie, Fletcher, Morrison, Robson, Miller.

Substitutes (from): Gilks, Samson, Crainey, Hanley, MacKenzie, Conway, McArthur, Snodgrass, Stevenson, Goodwillie, Mackail-Smith, Rhodes.

Rhodes should be starting :bye:

Think he is on the bench because he will be starting for the under 21s on Monday.

What is Rhodes Scottish link. ?

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Think he is on the bench because he will be starting for the under 21s on Monday.

Rhodes is eligible to play for Scotland because he attended school there for more than five years

Sir David Gray
11-11-2011, 01:38 PM

He went to school up here whilst his dad, Andy, played in Scotland in the early 90s.

silverhibee
11-11-2011, 01:57 PM
He went to school up here whilst his dad, Andy, played in Scotland in the early 90s.

Yeah i am sure all Hibs fans remember his dad, :greengrin.

So no Scottish connection apart from he went to school in Scotland for five years here, nothing against the young lad he seems to be banging in the goals down South, it wont be long before Potter has a team full of English men playing for Scotland.

And i see the code of conduct that Potter has implemented regarding players with outstanding court cases has been dumped already, its not as if he now knows about Goodwillie's upcoming court case.

Potter is fud.

H18sry
11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah i am sure all Hibs fans remember his dad, :greengrin.

So no Scottish connection apart from he went to school in Scotland for five years here, nothing against the young lad he seems to be banging in the goals down South, it wont be long before Potter has a team full of English men playing for Scotland.

And i see the code of conduct that Potter has implemented regarding players with outstanding court cases has been dumped already, its not as if he now knows about Goodwillie's upcoming court case.

Potter is fud.

:top marks

Scottish schooling does not mean you are Scottish,Potter if a fud :agree:

Calvin
11-11-2011, 02:10 PM
:top marks

Scottish schooling does not mean you are Scottish,Potter if a fud :agree:

I would much prefer someone who has gone to school here and learned some of their football here played for the country than someone who just has a Scottish granny and has never set foot in the country.

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd like to see 'Pep Guardiola' Potter revert back to that exciting 6-4-0 formation that served us so well in Prague and captured the imagination of the global footballing community. C'mon Potttaaahhh, you know you want to!

greenlex
11-11-2011, 02:32 PM
The laddie is banging the in for tge U21 team. If you saw his interview you would realise there was no competition for his skills. It was always gonna be scotland even if engerland came calling. Potter us still a fud though.

silverhibee
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I would much prefer someone who has gone to school here and learned some of their football here played for the country than someone who just has a Scottish granny and has never set foot in the country.

How old would he have been when he spent his time up here, and would it have been old enough to be playing football.

I would rather that the Scotland players were Scottish and born in Scotland and there parents being Scottish too, thinking about it he must have been a baby when he stayed up here so i doubt he would have learned any of his football up here.

Fud Potter.

Sir David Gray
11-11-2011, 02:57 PM
How old would he have been when he spent his time up here, and would it have been old enough to be playing football.

I would rather that the Scotland players were Scottish and born in Scotland and there parents being Scottish too, thinking about it he must have been a baby when he stayed up here so i doubt he would have learned any of his football up here.

Fud Potter.

His dad played for Dunfermline between 1990-1992 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 0-2 years old at this time)
He played for St Johnstone between 1992-1995 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 2-5 years old at this time)
He played for Airdrie between 1995-1998 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 5-8 years old at this time)

So he was in Scotland until around 8 years of age.

H18sry
11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Not just Rhodes,it is also Bardsley who's grandmother was on holiday in Scotland and gave birth to Bardsley's dad,before going south again,Mackie yet again a distant grandparent and Makail Smith also, add to that list Gilks and Morrison, and you can see why the Scottish fan's are against it.

Great article in the Times yesterday from Graham Spiers
It used to be that the phrase “Anglo-Scots”, when appearing on the sports pages, referred to Scottish footballers who were playing in England. In the days of my childhood, when 1970s Scotland were capable of licking any international team in sight (including England), Billy Bremner and Joe Jordan were always “Anglo-Scots” on the back pages.
Well, not any longer. The phrase has become redundant, mainly because any Anglo-Scot now, such as Jordan Rhodes, of Huddersfield Town, is an Englishman based in England who plays for Scotland.
Rhodes, a fine goal-grabbing striker, will make his full Scotland debut tomorrow night against Cyprus in Larnaca. That in itself is no crime, and Lord knows, Craig Levein and Scotland need all the firepower they can lay their hands on. But Rhodes’s imminent induction for Scotland is one more step in this watering-down process of Scotland actually being represented by Scottish players on the field.
There is no argument about it: Rhodes, aged 21, is English. He was born in England and both his parents are English. Indeed, all of his grandparents, so far as we can glean, were English. But what he did do, when his goalkeeping father, Andy, moved from Oldham Athletic to Dunfermline Athletic in 1990, was live in Scotland for seven years. Rhodes thus qualifies to play for Scotland via the “schooling rule” that the four Home Nations recently introduced.
This is a growing trend with Scotland in recent times. For smaller football nations, the grandparent rule, which has been in place for years under Fifa, has been gratefully deployed. But, in Scotland’s case, you surely don’t need to be a xenophobe to start feeling a little uneasy about the anglicisation of the national team.
When you add Rhodes to Matt Gilks, Phil Bardsley, James Morrison, Jamie Mackie, Craig Mackail-Smith and others, the roster of non-Scots being selected for Scotland seems to be swelling steadily. Indeed, it is perfectly possible that a Scotland team littered with English accents is not too far away on the horizon.
Levein is openly sworn to finding as many “adopted Scots” as possible for his squad in time for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers. He had, for example, openly courted Shola Ameobi, of Newcastle United, a Nigerian-born striker who, despite winning 20 England Under-21 caps, still qualified to play for any of the four home nations, before that particular quest bit the dust. Levein has also been thwarted in his attempts to sign up Andy Carroll, the Liverpool striker, for Scotland.
Last season, the Scotland manager also inquired about grabbing the defender, Craig Gardner, then of Birmingham City, now with Sunderland, when Levein felt his defensive options were depleted. Gardner, another Englishman, it was believed would have qualified via the grandparent rule.
It is quite a strange business. Levein is widely admired for his passion about his country, which is totally genuine. Yet he feels absolutely no compunction about grabbing as many Englishmen as he can under international football’s highly flexible rules.
There are two grounds for feeling cynical about this attempted patching–up of Scotland. The first is rooted in an unalloyed Scottish supporter’s feeling of patriotism.
The second is to do with the footballer’s own rather dubious instincts.
First, there is no doubt that a Scotland team with half an outfield of transplanted Englishmen makes some among the Tartan Army feel a little queasy. In this vein you cannot help asking: “When does Scotland cease to be Scotland?” Second, from the player’s point of view, in many cases there is a brazen opportunism at work.
No one seriously believes that Morrison, Rhodes or Mackie have any genuine prospect of being capped by their native country. More to the point, we know that they know this.
Thus, when you hear such a player say, “I couldn’t wait to play for Scotland”, what this actually means is, “I couldn’t wait to get the chance to play international football.” Whatever else this is, it is not nationalism or patriotism.
The argument against all this has to be crafted carefully. There can be a latent racism in objecting to the way so many Englishmen are being selected for Scotland squads, which is the last accusation the Tartan Army needs. But I don’t believe for a second that it is anglophobia which is at work when you hear Scotland supporters raising their concerns.
Instead, I think there is a feeling of creeping fraud at work: a bit of fraud on the pitch, in terms of “Scotland”; and even a feeling of fraud in the stands, amid all the cheering for a team that has such a diluted blood-type.
It was far less complicated in the old days, when Bob Wilson and Bruce Rioch popped up for Scotland. At the time, they seemed rare and appreciated exceptions. It is when it starts to resemble a mini-invasion that some Tartan Army queasiness sets in.

hibee_girl
11-11-2011, 03:05 PM
His dad played for Dunfermline between 1990-1992 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 0-2 years old at this time)
He played for St Johnstone between 1992-1995 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 2-5 years old at this time)
He played for Airdrie between 1995-1998 (Jordan Rhodes would have been 5-8 years old at this time)

So he was in Scotland until around 8 years of age.

That's only 3 years of schooling though

greenlex
11-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe if the scots would stay of the piss long enough to become modern day footballers and athletes we could name a squad from home grown talent?

R'Albin
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM

If he started at 4 (which some do if their birthday is late) So it could be 5 years I suppose?

Sir David Gray
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Yep, that's correct.

His dad must have stayed up here, even after he went back down to England to play.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Maybe if the scots would stay of the piss long enough to become modern day foitballets and athletes we could name a squad from home grown talent?

McGregor

Hutton
Caldwell
Berra
Wallace

Adam
Fletcher
Dorrans
Snodgrass

McCormack
Goodwillie

Subs:
Gordon
Hanley
McManus
McArthur
Bannan
Murphy
Miller

Sorted :wink:

R'Albin
11-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe if the scots would stay of the piss long enough to become modern day footballers and athletes we could name a squad from home grown talent?

And if they actually sorted out youth football so that kids from 13/14 onwards actually want to continue football.

greenlex
11-11-2011, 03:14 PM
McGregor HuttonCaldwell BerraWallace Adam Fletcher Dorrans SnodgrassMcCormack GoodwillieSubs:GordonHanley McManus McArthurBannan MurphyMillerSorted :wink: Thats no a squad. Half them make it look like the guest list for Lulus

Spudster
11-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I used to believe firmly that players should be 100% Scottish but in doing so we're never going to progress.

France 98 World Cup teams ethnicity

Fabien Barthez
Lilian Thuram born Guadeloupe
Marcel Desailly born Ghana
Frank Leboeuf
Bixente Lizarazu
Didier Deschamps
Emmanuel Petit
Christian Karembeu born New Caledonia
Zinedine Zidane Algerian parents
Youri Djorkaeff Polish and Almerian parents
Stéphane Guivarc'h

Substitutes:
Alain Boghossian Almerian parents
Christophe Dugarry
Patrick Vieira born Senegal

Pretty Boy
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
To be fair to Rhodes I'm sure his old man was in the paper saying the boys always considered himself Scottish and has never considered playing for England as a real option.

I would take that over some born and bred son of Jimmy and Senga McWeedgie who plays for Rangers but pulls out every friendly squad with a sore toe.

Hibernia Na Eir
11-11-2011, 04:26 PM
what's the Cyprus starting xi?

HibeeMG
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
To be fair to Rhodes I'm sure his old man was in the paper saying the boys always considered himself Scottish and has never considered playing for England as a real option.

I would take that over some born and bred son of Jimmy and Senga McWeedgie who plays for Rangers but pulls out every friendly squad with a sore toe.

And that's all that matters to me!

I'd much rather have someone in who considers themselves Scottish than someone who is only playing for Scotland because they're no good enough to play for England!

The laddie was raised in Scotland, see's himself as Scottish. I'm not going to argue.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Can't see any who aren't legitimate French Internationals, this is completely different, in some cases exact opposite from what is happening with the Scotland team. Only Viera & Desailly weren't born on French territory and both arrived as young children making France their home. I think Viera already had French Nationality from birth anyway, to be honest if any of these players hadn't played for France but for someone else it would have been closer to what we are seeing in our national team

I used to believe firmly that players should be 100% Scottish but in doing so we're never going to progress.

France 98 World Cup teams ethnicity

Fabien Barthez
Lilian Thuram born Guadeloupe (Guadeloupe is an overseas French region)
Marcel Desailly born Ghana (arrived in France as a four-year-old immigrant)
Frank Leboeuf
Bixente Lizarazu
Didier Deschamps
Emmanuel Petit
Christian Karembeu born New Caledonia (New Caledonia is French overseas territory)
Zinedine Zidane Algerian parents (born Marseille, France)
Youri Djorkaeff Polish and Almerian parents (born Lyon, France)
Stéphane Guivarc'h

Substitutes:
Alain Boghossian Almerian parents(born Digne, France)
Christophe Dugarry
Patrick Vieira born Senegal (arrived in France as an eight-year old immigrant)
l

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
The ground is empty.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd pay both commentators not to speak for the rest of the game

Sylar
11-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Jesus wept - should be 1-0 to the Cypriots.

I've watched 17 minutes of this and I'm now going to go find something else to do - this is truly God awful.

Pretty Boy
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Jesus wept - should be 1-0 to the Cypriots.

I've watched 17 minutes of this and I'm now going to go find something else to do - this is truly God awful.

Pity the Ireland game wasn't on at the same time

Both Ireland and Estonia are quite decent teams and its a competitive game so its bound to be better than this.

Sylar
11-11-2011, 05:24 PM
There's utterly no atmosphere, no exciting football, no goals thus far, no "edge" to the game and nothing riding on the outcome.

I've never been "anti-Scotland" - I like watching the national side, despite having very little expectation, but this is a pointless exercise in which the players are being matched by a team the equivalent quality of Brechin City.

Edit: Or not - 0-1 Miller.

Barney McGrew
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
1-0 Scotland, Kenny Miller

hibee_girl
1-0 Kenny Miller :thumbsup:

frazeHFC
Peach! :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Whatabeautifullgoal. :top marks

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Brilliant Goal :agree:

MWHIBBIES
11-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Now watch him miss a sitter :greengrin

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
That Efram boy has done well :agree:

Zazu62
11-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Why is goodwillie in the squad if he has a court case hanging over him? I don't understand this????

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
HT

Wotherspiniesta
11-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Why is goodwillie in the squad if he has a court case hanging over him? I don't understand this????

Apparently Levein didn't know about it.

Brilliant eh? So basically you're allowed in the squad if your terrible off field behaviour isn't front page news.

Zazu62
11-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Apparently Levein didn't know about it.Brilliant eh? So basically you're allowed in the squad if your terrible off field behaviour isn't front page news. It's actually laughable mate

R'Albin
11-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Because he played for Dundee Utd:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
11-11-2011, 06:01 PM
It's actually laughable mate

:agree:

I like that he's punishing players for their off field behaviour, but its got to be fair for everyone. And his spat with Steven Fletcher is just pathetic.

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I really hope Rhodes comes on! :agree:

easty
11-11-2011, 06:03 PM
:agree:

And his spat with Steven Fletcher is just pathetic.

It is, but not just from Leveins side.

Saorsa
11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Apparently Levein didn't know about it.

Brilliant eh? So basically you're allowed in the squad if your terrible off field behaviour isn't front page news.And what a bare faced lie that was. Even supposing he didnae :fibber: ( :hilarious ) he does now and did before this game was played and he had time tae do something about it yet the player in question is still involved.

Levein is a complete and utter http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/smilies/jerkoff.gif

Wotherspiniesta
11-11-2011, 06:15 PM
It is, but not just from Leveins side.

:aok:

Fletcher was silly for doing what he did, no doubt.

HH81
11-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Just watched 5 mins of it. Why do Scotland play the ball around quite well at the back then just knock it long and lose it? 3 times in a row they just done that.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
2-0 Mackie

Onceinawhile
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
:aok:Fletcher was silly for doing what he did, no doubt. I'm sure I read peter houston hasn't travelled as he wants. To concentrate on Dundee united. I am assuming he will never be allowed back either?Fletcher also extended an olive branch in the press recently. Its just been ignored though.

HibeeMG
11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
2-0 Mackie

That's another peach. Can't remember Scotland scoring two goals of this calibre in a game.

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Another brilliant goal!!! :thumbsup: :not worth

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Another terrific goal, this time from Mackie. :top marks So pleased for him after his terrible leg break last season. :not worth

2-1 now.

frazeHFC
Another good goal!

SteveHFC
Cyprus Score

.Sean.
11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
C'mon Cyprus.I'm not giving my suypport to English donkeys led by a bespectecled Hearts-minded bawbag.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Cyprus Score

Bardsley sleeping, and i thought the hun keeper should also have done better.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Rhodes not on yet :bye:

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
C'mon Cyprus.I'm not giving my suypport to English donkeys led by a bespectecled Hearts-minded bawbag.

Is this serious? :confused:

Wotherspiniesta
11-11-2011, 06:31 PM

:wtf:

Saorsa
11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
It is, but not just from Leveins side.What is it that Fletcher has done? Worse than anything those huns Levein went groveling after? Worse the anything the ned Goodwille is in trouble for? Nah Levein is just a tosser and He's denying the country the use of one of it best talents with his pathetic behaviour.

.Sean.
11-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Players like Rhodes, Morrison, Gilks, Bardsley etc are English, not Scottish so should never play for this country. Levein is a negative, boring manager who should not be in the position he's in. He's also petulant, two-faced and biased and he's proved that. International football is *****, I'm being deadly serious so away and ram the 'WTF' sign.

HibeeMG
11-11-2011, 06:36 PM
For God's sake man.... put Rhodes on!

He put him in the squad, dragged him out to Cyprus, knowing full well that the U-21's have a competitive game coming up. There was no point if he was only going to give him less than 15 minutes! :confused:

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Players like Rhodes, Morrison, Gilks, Bardsley etc are English, not Scottish so should never play for this country. Levein is a negative, boring manager who should not be in the position he's in. He's also petulant, two-faced and biased and he's proved that. International football is *****, I'm being deadly serious so away and ram the 'WTF' sign.

So is Steven Fletcher. :wink:

Sylar
11-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Can't agree with the sentiment of the first part of your post, but I certainly understand the lack of interest a) in Levein's Scotland (as they're absolutely dire to watch) and b) International football - I used to like it, but I find it very difficult to get enthused about these days. The last time I managed to get excited about it was going to the opening 2 games of the Gold Cup in Detroit earlier this year, where there were 2 games played back to back, the closing one being USA vs Canada.

Since then, I find it very difficult indeed to get interested.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Conway on

Get Rhodes on FFS

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I would rather Rhodes never came on but did well on Monday. I hope he comes on but i can understand. :agree:

Onceinawhile
11-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I always find it strange that Christophe berra never gets abuse in there situations despite being french. A lot of it seems to be anti English sentiment.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Rhodes is on :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
Rhodes on.

Can't see the point with a few minutes left.

Unless of course he scores. :greengrin

greenlex

You are probably too young (and immature) to remember Andy Goram. He fits that category.

SteveHFC
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
1-0 Ireland :thumbsup:

pogo
11-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Estonia now down to 10 men

pogo
11-11-2011, 07:37 PM
HT in Tallin, still 0-1

sambajustice
11-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Frontrunner for most ridiculous post, well, ever! What a crock of pish!

silverhibee
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM

Dont forget he tell's porkies to Sean. :greengrin

Eire hibs
11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Ireland are a Great British team who play eye bleeding football. If they get to the Euros (as seems likely now) they will be like Switzerland and draw 3 games of boring football that will add nothing to the tournament.

I could go on about who pays at least half of Traps wages and the irony of this to the Irish tax payer (including me) but I"m on the BB.

The only team I'd like to see less at the Euros is Scotland. How that fud never got the boot after the Czech game is still a mystery to me.

pogo
11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Ireland are a Great British team who play eye bleeding football. If they get to the Euros (as seems likely now) they will be like Switzerland and draw 3 games of boring football that will add nothing to the tournament.

:confused:

I could go on about who pays at least half of Traps wages and the irony of this to the Irish tax payer (including me) but I"m on the BB.

The only team I'd like to see less at the Euros is Scotland. How that fud never got the boot after the Czech game is still a mystery to me.

They're 2 up now anyway

pogo
11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
3 now

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
3-0 Ireland :thumbsup:

hibbytam
11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

pogo
11-11-2011, 08:22 PM
9 men now, Estonian captain off for deliberate hand ball, second booking

carnoustiehibee
11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
take note levein,

when teams play attacking football and go out to win then goals are scored.

ive no interest in international football but id rather go watch ireland than boring,slow,tedius scotland

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't understand how people, especially those that like football, don't give a toss about their country? :confused: Not an insult or anything, just don't get it?

greenlex
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM

The British Isles includes Ireland.:wink: I think you must be getting confused with the United Kingdom that they are not a member of.:agree:

pogo
11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
The British Isles includes Ireland.:wink: I think you must be getting confused with the United Kingdom that they are not a member of.:agree:

The original post states Ireland are a Great British team, not that they are a team from the British Isles.

4 now anyway!!!

Eire hibs
11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Funnily enough they didn't get a good press at HT from Dunphy, Brady and Giles on rte 2. They can be annoying panelists but they aren't fooled by the quality of football Ireland play and aren't shy about saying it. If you ever get the chance you should watch them, there's no sitting on the fence.

Oh, and by GB side I mean that at least half the squad have never set foot in Ireland before playing for them, that can't be right even if technically it is allowed.

pogo
11-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Funnily enough they didn't get a good press at HT from Dunphy, Brady and Giles on rte 2. They can be annoying panelists but they aren't fooled by the quality of football Ireland play and aren't shy about saying it. If you ever get the chance you should watch them, there's no sitting on the fence.

Oh, and by GB side I mean that at least half the squad have never set foot in Ireland before playing for them, that can't be right even if technically it is allowed.

Thought that might be what you meant:greengrin

Have to admit I'm not really a fan of Trapps style of play, find it normally fairly boring to watch. Having worked on a few of the matches, I find I'm easily distracted from what's happening on the pitch.

Anyway, game over now, FT 0-4. There'll be some party in Dublin on Tuesday!!!
:thumbsup:

.Sean.
11-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Frontrunner for most ridiculous post, well, ever! What a crock of pish! Why?

ballengeich
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I always find it strange that Christophe berra never gets abuse in there situations despite being french. A lot of it seems to be anti English sentiment.

Berra is a Scot. He was born and raised in Edinburgh.

frazeHFC
11-11-2011, 08:58 PM

His dad is French. He is just as much Scottish as me. Born and raised Scottish, just technically half Scottish.

Ireland fans moan about defensive football, can they imagine being a Scot! :greengrin

hibbytam
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM

I'm well aware of that, just using the term 'great british' to refer to Ireland is a bit...odd.

Dashing Bob S
11-11-2011, 10:02 PM

Why do they call it 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?' I think you're kind of right though, Great Britain is Scotland, England and Wales (and the other wee islands) while the 'British Isles' is an non-official slightly imperialist title used to include Ireland.

R'Albin
11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Frontrunner for most ridiculous post, well, ever! What a crock of pish!

Obviously never read any of NortonHibby's posts :wink:

:taxi

Bishop Hibee
11-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought we played ok in what was a decent game for a friendly. Second half fizzled out a bit. We need a fit Scott Brown and Adam/Bannan in midfield though. Plenty fire power to choose from up front for a change but lacking quality at centre half. Pains me to say it but from a Scotland point of view we could do with Lee Wallace playing regularly at LB for the huns and improving his game.

Lucius Apuleius
12-11-2011, 04:20 AM
I really cannot understand this reluctance to play players who are eligible to play for Scotland. Scotland do not make the rules, FIFA do. We have a duty in my opinion to find the best players eligible and to play them.

This is not to say I have any support at all for the prick Levein, I don't, but we play within the criteria set out by FIFA, no wahalla.