PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton

Tom Hart RIP
11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I would like to see Pat Stanton on the Hibs board, and for him to have a say in the new manager. Pat, (along with Lawrie Reilly) is the greatest living Hibby, with a vast number of contacts in the game, yet he is used to meet and greet people in the hospitality lounge.

For those who never saw him play, Pat was world class who could have moved to any of the top English clubs at his peak. Indeed, I think Tommy Docherty claimed he was better than Bobby Moore. Despite this he stayed at Easter Road and only left under protest in the twylight of his career.

After hanging up his boots, Alex Ferguson chose him as his first assistant manager and he could still have been with him today had he not decided to try his luck at management. In his autobiography, Fergie still talks highly of Pat, and given his comments about others like Brian Kidd and Gordon Strachan, he wouldn'd have said it if he hadn't meant it. Pat was actually invited to Fergie's 25th aniversary party earlier this week.

Pat's time at Easter Road was during the Kenny Waugh era and no-one could have succeeded with the budget then. (Kenny Waugh makes Rod Petrie look liKe Roman Abramovitch) Despite poor results, Pat helped bring through a golden generation of kids including John Collins, Micky Weir, Gordon Hunter, Paul Kane, Eddie May, Kevin McKhee.

Up until recently, John Greig was on the Rangers board whilst Billy McNeill is on Celtic's. In fact Bobby Charlton was the man who first suggested Fergie for the Man U job, and argued to keep him when the fans wanted him out.

With Pat's contacts in the game, and his love of all things Hibs and the way we should play, I for one would have far more confidence in his choice than Hyland and Lindsay's. I accept they may talk to him during the process, but I think he should have the final say.

fat freddy
11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Pat knows more about the game than hyland and lyndsay could know if they lived to be a thousand...that we allow non footballing people to decide our managers is perhaps the reason why we've had so many in the last decade...the board have said that they will be consulting with football people about our next appointment and im pretty sure Pat will be sounded out about his views which is reassuring.

ScottB
11-11-2011, 12:14 PM
It's worth pointing out Pat was recently talking up Jefferies for the job...

Not that I'd hold that against him by any means, but more an illustration that getting the much mooted 'football man' on the Board doesn't guarantee he'll pick folk that the fans want either...

PeeJay
11-11-2011, 12:20 PM

....guarantee he'll pick folk that the fans want either...

We don't really need what the fans want, surely? We need a manager that knows what he is doing; whoever can take us forward as a club should be considered. Maybe we should listen to Pat Stanton, after all?

I'm all for giving Stanton more influence at the club...

Tom Hart RIP
11-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Not that I'd hold that against him by any means, but more an illustration that getting the much mooted 'football man' on the Board doesn't guarantee he'll pick folk that the fans want either...

I listened to the interview with Pat on Radio Scotland. He didn't suggest JJ for the job, but was asked directly whether he thought that he could do a job for us and said that he thought that he could. He also accepted that a significant proportion of Hibs fans wouldn't want him and this would be a problem.

For me I think it's not so much identifying suitable candidates, but rather having trusted contacts in the game who would warn you off appointing certain people. There are many managers out there who are loved by the press and even sections of the fans, but should not be trusted. People in the game know who they are where we, the fans probably don't. I think Pat would have more chance of spotting the 'bluffers' that our board.

Gingertosser
11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if he could be bothered to turn up for meetings, he doesn't seem to turn up for much :rolleyes:

Tom Hart RIP
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I emailed the board a few times during the Calderwood era (I never felt the need before) pointing out the dwindling crowds and apathy surrounding the club, and received patronising and condecending replies from Hyland. He continually lied to me, claiming that I was in a very small minority and how the vast majority were totally behind Calderwood. He also claimed to spend time speaking to the fans in the Behind the Goals bar before every game. I usually go there and have seen him twice. On both occasions he spent about 5 minutes speaking to a friendly face. (Give Petrie his due, he goes round the tables and actually speaks to the fans).

When I pointed out that Hibs should have had players in mind before last years January window and should not be rushing around on 31st January signing anyone who was left (Sodje), he assured me that this was not the case, and Sodje had been on the radar for some time.

His biggest lie was to state that the board had never criticised John Hughes. What part of 'unworkable legacy left by the previous incumbant' was meant to be a compliment.

My point is that I wouldn't believe Hyland if he told me it was Friday. If Pat replied to my emails, I would be confident that whatever he told me was the truth.

Andy74
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Other than knowing he was a talented footballer I have no idea if Pat Stanton is Director material for a football club or any other Board.

In that respect the only thing that is evident to me is that it would be a good symbolic thing to do and would go some way to getting the fans onside with the Board.

The one problem, and this goes for fans on Boards too, is that sometimes difficult decisions need to be made and would a figurehead or a fans rep be expected to do the popular thing or the right thing?

All in all I think it would be a decent touch but I don't think it would add anyting meaningful to Board decisions. In terms of appointing a manager I don't know what a talented player a few years ago would add anything more to the process bearing in mind it is refered to quite a lot that people within the game currently are spoken to for their views during the process.

ScottB
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I emailed the board a few times during the Calderwood era (I never felt the need before) pointing out the dwindling crowds and apathy surrounding the club, and received patronising and condecending replies from Hyland. He continually lied to me, claiming that I was in a very small minority and how the vast majority were totally behind Calderwood. He also claimed to spend time speaking to the fans in the Behind the Goals bar before every game. I usually go there and have seen him twice. On both occasions he spent about 5 minutes speaking to a friendly face. (Give Petrie his due, he goes round the tables and actually speaks to the fans).

When I pointed out that Hibs should have had players in mind before last years January window and should not be rushing around on 31st January signing anyone who was left (Sodje), he assured me that this was not the case, and Sodje had been on the radar for some time.

His biggest lie was to state that the board had never criticised John Hughes. What part of 'unworkable legacy left by the previous incumbant' was meant to be a compliment.

My point is that I wouldn't believe Hyland if he told me it was Friday. If Pat replied to my emails, I would be confident that whatever he told me was the truth.

Ultimately, some things just have to be said, true or not, and if Pat was a functioning member of the Board, he'd have to do so too. Obviously the party line is going to be 'the fans back CC' to suggest otherwise would have sparked a storm if we had Board members publicly suggesting that he's losing it etc. It's like the stock vote of confidence days before the sack.

Secondly, I don't think we as fans know whether Sodje was a CC target long term or a last minute buy, it's their word against ours frankly, and I don't recall the Board saying anything about Yogi, I recall Petrie hinting at him alone.

Folk seem to want Pat purely because they imagine him to be trustworthy and open, but simply being involved in Board matters, many of which need to be kept behind closed doors, he'd end up having to do much of what the clubs current public faces do anyway.

Tom Hart RIP
11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Ultimately, some things just have to be said, true or not, and if Pat was a functioning member of the Board, he'd have to do so too. Obviously the party line is going to be 'the fans back CC' to suggest otherwise would have sparked a storm if we had Board members publicly suggesting that he's losing it etc. It's like the stock vote of confidence days before the sack.

Secondly, I don't think we as fans know whether Sodje was a CC target long term or a last minute buy, it's their word against ours frankly, and I don't recall the Board saying anything about Yogi, I recall Petrie hinting at him alone.

Folk seem to want Pat purely because they imagine him to be trustworthy and open, but simply being involved in Board matters, many of which need to be kept behind closed doors, he'd end up having to do much of what the clubs current public faces do anyway.

Fair enough, but I would trust Pat to do the best for Hibs, whereas I do not trust Hyland, and suspect that he would do the best for himself. Obviously he is not going to say that the fans were losing faith with Calderwood, but he did not have to say the opposite. The usual ' Thanks for taking the time to write' email would have been fine.

With regard to Sodje, we went virtually the whole of January without a striker and ended up signing him during the evening of 31st January after Sky Sports news had been linking us with another player whose name escapes me. We went out of the cup on 18th January, and my point was that we should have had players identified before the window opened, not waited until we went out of the cup.

With regard to Yogi, Rod Petrie said on the club website that Calderwood was getting rid of ' the unworkable legacy left by the previous imcumbant.' In another interview after the announcement that we had lost 900k Petrie said that the loss was due to going out of 3 cups at the first attempt and that the Scottish Cup Exit was before Calderwood could get in his own players. There is no doubt in my mind that this was a dig at John Hughes.

ScottB
11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Fair enough, but I would trust Pat to do the best for Hibs, whereas I do not trust Hyland, and suspect that he would do the best for himself. Obviously he is not going to say that the fans were losing faith with Calderwood, but he did not have to say the opposite. The usual ' Thanks for taking the time to write' email would have been fine.

With regard to Sodje, we went virtually the whole of January without a striker and ended up signing him during the evening of 31st January after Sky Sports news had been linking us with another player whose name escapes me. We went out of the cup on 18th January, and my point was that we should have had players identified before the window opened, not waited until we went out of the cup.

With regard to Yogi, Rod Petrie said on the club website that Calderwood was getting rid of ' the unworkable legacy left by the previous imcumbant.' In another interview after the announcement that we had lost 900k Petrie said that the loss was due to going out of 3 cups at the first attempt and that the Scottish Cup Exit was before Calderwood could get in his own players. There is no doubt in my mind that this was a dig at John Hughes.

But that's my point, maybe we were locked in negotiations with him till the month's end, maybe we just missed out on someone better. We don't know. Just because we want guys in on January 1st doesn't mean it will happen sadly.

Yeah, Petrie has made a few digs at Yogi, but that's Petrie alone, I haven't seen any comments about him whatsoever attributed to the Board in general.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-11-2011, 04:24 PM
If you are going to get someone onto the board there has to be a viable reason for it. When I look at Bobby Charlton at Man Utd, I wonder as an outsider, what he actuallu does other than being the greatest living United player?

Andy74
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
But that's my point, maybe we were locked in negotiations with him till the month's end, maybe we just missed out on someone better. We don't know. Just because we want guys in on January 1st doesn't mean it will happen sadly.

Yeah, Petrie has made a few digs at Yogi, but that's Petrie alone, I haven't seen any comments about him whatsoever attributed to the Board in general.

It wasn't on Rod Petrie.com.

Rod Petrie, the Chairman of Hibs, made those statements on the Hibs website and in a Hibs press release so you can say that it was on behalf of Hibs or in his capacity as Hibs Chairman.

James70
11-11-2011, 04:34 PM
If you are going to get someone onto the board there has to be a viable reason for it. When I look at Bobby Charlton at Man Utd, I wonder as an outsider, what he actuallu does other than being the greatest living United player?

Was it not Bobby Charlton who was the major influence behind Manchester United going for Fergie ?

basehibby
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I would like to see Pat Stanton on the Hibs board, and for him to have a say in the new manager. Pat, (along with Lawrie Reilly) is the greatest living Hibby, with a vast number of contacts in the game, yet he is used to meet and greet people in the hospitality lounge.

For those who never saw him play, Pat was world class who could have moved to any of the top English clubs at his peak. Indeed, I think Tommy Docherty claimed he was better than Bobby Moore. Despite this he stayed at Easter Road and only left under protest in the twylight of his career.

After hanging up his boots, Alex Ferguson chose him as his first assistant manager and he could still have been with him today had he not decided to try his luck at management. In his autobiography, Fergie still talks highly of Pat, and given his comments about others like Brian Kidd and Gordon Strachan, he wouldn'd have said it if he hadn't meant it. Pat was actually invited to Fergie's 25th aniversary party earlier this week.

Pat's time at Easter Road was during the Kenny Waugh era and no-one could have succeeded with the budget then. (Kenny Waugh makes Rod Petrie look liKe Roman Abramovitch) Despite poor results, Pat helped bring through a golden generation of kids including John Collins, Micky Weir, Gordon Hunter, Paul Kane, Eddie May, Kevin McKhee.

Up until recently, John Greig was on the Rangers board whilst Billy McNeill is on Celtic's. In fact Bobby Charlton was the man who first suggested Fergie for the Man U job, and argued to keep him when the fans wanted him out.

With Pat's contacts in the game, and his love of all things Hibs and the way we should play, I for one would have far more confidence in his choice than Hyland and Lindsay's. I accept they may talk to him during the process, but I think he should have the final say.

Not a bad shout - I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Pat having a bigger role at Hibs - his presence on the board would instill a lot more trust among the support, not to mention his obvious and much needed footballing expertise.

cam2644
11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting Pat Stanton run the club but adding a real football voice to the Board would be a good idea.Such a voice is sadly lacking at present.He could be outvoted but at least they would have to listen to his advice from time to time which might help them a bit.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I dont think Pat should be involved at the club until the next manager is appointed, if its true he would not mind jumbo as our next man?

oconnors_strip
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
After listening to pat talk at a book launch last night I would get him in the dressing room to give motivational speeches every week.

Jonnyboy
11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I dont think Pat should be involved at the club until the next manager is appointed, if its true he would not mind jumbo as our next man?

Pay attention you :wink:

Pat was asked "Do you think JJ could do a job for Hibs?" He answered "yes"

He never said he wouldn't mind he simply said the Hibs fans would have to adjust to it if he was appointed

All of the above is true (apart from your bit) :greengrin

Bearders
11-11-2011, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Andy74;2983736]Other than knowing he was a talented footballer
Try one of the greatest ever to where the shirt "talented" ?

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Pay attention you :wink:

He never said he wouldn't mind he simply said the Hibs fans would have to adjust to it if he was appointed

All of the above is true (apart from your bit) :greengrin

Thats ok John, i thought he'd said he wanted him? Get him involved straight away, let him give these losers an insight on what it should mean to play for the club, he's a living legend and should be involved at the club.:not worth

Baker9
12-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Pat would be a tremendous board appointment. Director of Football and all round ambassador for Hibs. The question has to be would Pat want to do it if asked? He's intelligent, he has a football brain, is very personable and a good communicator so why would he want the hassle of joining our board?:greengrin

Big Ed
12-11-2011, 01:23 PM
So what is being suggested is that Pat Stanton should be on the Hibs board because he is a die hard Hibby, was a great player back in the day and because he understands football.
Maybe we could make him Chairman and have Jimmy O’Rourke, Jackie McNamara, Ralph Callachan and Kano on the board too. That way, when it all went tits up; we could be comforted by the fact that the board were hurting too.
I’d be interested if they could address some of the following points:
• How can you keep your best players when the attendances and turnover at Easter Road will never be big enough?
• How can you guarantee that the next manager will be successful?
• Will you be in a position to hand out nappies and dummies to all the fans the next time we lose to Hearts?
I have met Pat several times and find him to have both a deep love for the club and some informed insight into why we are not playing well, but the idea that he is somehow the secret to getting us back to where we want to be is nonsense.
As for a pre match speech; we would be as well asking the players to read 100 Years of Hibs before the start of the season.

matty_f
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Thats ok John, i thought he'd said he wanted him? Get him involved straight away, let him give these losers an insight on what it should mean to play for the club, he's a living legend and should be involved at the club.:not worth

Said something similar on the PM board a couple of weeks back. We definitely need someone of that caliber in there to let folk know exactly what it means to represent Hibernian F.C.

PeeJay
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I have met Pat several times and find him to have both a deep love for the club and some informed insight into why we are not playing well, but the idea that he is somehow the secret to getting us back to where we want to be is nonsense.
As for a pre match speech; we would be as well asking the players to read 100 Years of Hibs before the start of the season.

Bayern Munich - a truly successful football club, have several ex-players in the Board - Hoeneß, Rummenigge, Nerlinger, Beckenbauer - hasn't done them any harm - maybe the principle isn't quite the nonsense you think it is???

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Said something similar on the PM board a couple of weeks back. We definitely need someone of that caliber in there to let folk know exactly what it means to represent Hibernian F.C.

I'd bring back Benny Brazil too.

Just to show the current lot that they aren't so bad.

PatHead
12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Playing the devil's advocate I understand Aberdeen legend Willie Miller (could be argued he is "their Pat Stanton") is the biggest problem at the club. We have also had a number of ex players as manager and they couldn't see the wood for the trees due to their love of Hibs. That may carry on if the legend went onto the board.

Personally I would rather have a "football" man such as Alex Miller or Pat Nevin who has a wide range of sources to call on and could support the manager with their experience. Couple this with a fans representative on the board (nothing to stop Pat here) to represent fans views which we always feel are lacking.

Big Ed
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Bayern Munich - a truly successful football club, have several ex-players in the Board - Hoeneß, Rummenigge, Nerlinger, Beckenbauer - hasn't done them any harm - maybe the principle isn't quite the nonsense you think it is???

Bayern are the biggest club in Germany with resources to match. Sure they have been successful, but I suspect that their status in both German and World football has more to do with the fact that when it goes wrong (as it has done for Bayern in the past) they have the financial clout to do something about it.

PeeJay
12-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Bayern are the biggest club in Germany with resources to match. Sure they have been successful, but I suspect that their status in both German and World football has more to do with the fact that when it goes wrong (as it has done for Bayern in the past) they have the financial clout to do something about it.

They may be now, BUT they weren't always the biggest club in Germany, and they didn't always have the financial resources - they worked at becoming the biggest club. I suspect having former players involved is a major part of their successful development both off and on the field.

Big Ed
12-11-2011, 02:21 PM
They may be now, BUT they weren't always the biggest club in Germany, and they didn't always have the financial resources - they worked at becoming the biggest club. I suspect having former players involved is a major part of their successful development both off and on the field.

Being based in Germany; you’ll know more about this than me, but in my lifetime, I cannot recall a time when Bayern weren’t the dominant force in Germany. Hoeness and Beckenbauer were certainly not involved at boardroom level when the club were in the ascendancy in the early seventies; they were on the pitch.

ScottB
12-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Problem is, coming at fit rom a cold / logical stand point, would todays players respond?

There's a big disconnect between Pat and the guys today, in terms of age, I'd imagine certainly the non Scottish ones wouldn't have a clue who he was, wouldn't surprise me if even some of the Scottish lads didn't either, which of course would diminish his impact. Bayern were used as an example, I'm sure every German player knows who Beckenbauer is without having to be told, and he's closer in terms of age, era too.

Secondly, the club has changed drastically since Pat's day, when he played for us we fought for titles and battled in Europe, experiences that when compared to today's realities he may as well be talking about playing for Man Utd to our current boys! In his day playing for us was obviously considered at or near the top for a footballer, today we are, at best, a stepping stone to Championship / low end Premeriship sides.

I'm deliberately being a bit grim about this, but the fact that we as fans have a lot of respect for Pat, because we know who he is and what he did, doesn't mean that a bunch of 20 somethings from all over the place who have no idea who he is, hell in some cases probably have little idea about the club itself are going to pay much attention to him. At the end of the day, a squad of professional footballers shouldn't need inspirational pep talks about the days of yore to keep them fit and motivated, if they can't do that off their own back they should be kicked out the door.

killie-hibby
12-11-2011, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyboy;2984503]Pay attention you :wink:

All of the above is true (apart from your bit) :greengrin[/QUOTE

What PS did say was, "You hear people talking about Jim Jefferies as well. We know Jim's connections with Hearts, but you cant be too parochial about the whole thing. If you can get a man to come in and do the job then it doesnt matter to me. His background doesnt matter at all, and he's proved himself that he can do things in this league. If thats the case then I dont see the problem. Some Hibs supporters will, but I dont. I'd rather see the job given to a man who's capable and experienced, rather than a newcomer."
Basically,Pat Stanton has no objections to Jim Jefferies managing Hibs.

Eaststand
12-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Pat would be a tremendous board appointment. Director of Football and all round ambassador for Hibs. The question has to be would Pat want to do it if asked? He's intelligent, he has a football brain, is very personable and a good communicator so why would he want the hassle of joining our board?:greengrin

I'd be delighted if this was to happen, as Pat Stanton (and Lawrie Reilly) are living legends at our club and are both men that we can all trust.
Appointing Pat to the board would be a great way to help to rebuild bridges between the board and the support.

GGTTH