PDA

View Full Version : Billy Brown has six games to prove himself (merged)

Chuck Rhoades
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
From what im hearing, off two different people who both have connections with a well known Hibs and Hearts player respectively.

frazeHFC
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Until Shamrock Rovers European games are done? :hmmm:

hibbill2002
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
From what im hearing, off two different people who both have connections with a well known Hibs and Hearts player respectively.

Scottish Cup games?

Future17
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Until Shamrock Rovers European games are done? :hmmm:

And O'Neill's contract is up. :pray:

edwards
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Another six games could see us in a dire position one which we may not get out of, O'Neills contract if up next month would be peanuts. Although I feel for Billy Brown and would like him to stay as assistant to the next manager I honestly can't see Billy as the way forward.

ScottB
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Another six games could see us in a dire position one which we may not get out of, O'Neills contract if up next month would be peanuts. Although I feel for Billy Brown and would like him to stay as assistant to the next manager I honestly can't see Billy as the way forward.

O'Neill has previously stated he wouldn't leave Shamrock till they were out of the Europa League, the group stages of that finish around the 15th of December I think.

I don't think anyone could fault him for that desire, nor would it be an issue of cash.

I for one have no problem with Brown being given the reins for a bit. If nothing else he'll spend the next few weeks kicking ars*s and working the shower of lazy ********s we have masquerading as footballers into the ground.

PatHead
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
The only flaw with this theory is - What if Hibs won all 6 games? Do we keep Brown or appoint the man who he was keeping the seat warm for?

Sas_The_Hibby
10-11-2011, 10:26 PM

I'd tend to believe the one who knows a Hibs player but not the one who knows a Hearts player.......... :greengrin

ScottB
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM
The only flaw with this theory is - What if Hibs won all 6 games? Do we keep Brown or appoint the man who he was keeping the seat warm for?

Not a bad problem to be facing :wink:

PatHead
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
]O'Neill has previously stated he wouldn't leave Shamrock till they were out of the Europa League[/B], the group stages of that finish around the 15th of December I think.

I don't think anyone could fault him for that desire, nor would it be an issue of cash.

I for one have no problem with Brown being given the reins for a bit. If nothing else he'll spend the next few weeks kicking ars*s and working the shower of lazy ********s we have masquerading as footballers into the ground.

Are they not out already as they are 7 points behind anyone else?

mca
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
O'Neill has previously stated he wouldn't leave Shamrock till they were out of the Europa League, the group stages of that finish around the 15th of December I think.

Reckon this " New Manager " Thingy - Will be strung out for a few Months at least !!! - they did WARN us that they would be seeking outside influence etc and consultants and the likes... to bide some time as well eh ..

i Fully expect this managerial merry go round to bore us to to brink.. of whatever is left to love hibs for !!!...

Me Dont Think We Getting A Brand Spanking New Manager - Before Xmas... anyway... :agree:

but i ken **** all anyways eh :wink:

Kato
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM

a few Months

Nah

heretoday
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM
C'mon the Broon man!

pogo
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Reckon this " New Manager " Thingy - Will be strung out for a few Months at least !!! - they did WARN us that they would be seeking outside influence etc and consultants and the likes... to bide some time as well eh ..

i Fully expect this managerial merry go round to bore us to to brink.. of whatever is left to love hibs for !!!...

Me Dont Think We Getting A Brand Spanking New Manager - Before Xmas... anyway... :agree:

but i ken **** all anyways eh :wink:

Would hope it's sorted before that, as whoever comes in will need a bit of time to assess the playing squad and decide on what areas he wants to strengthen in January.

Could believe the OP though, as I do think MON would want to see through Rovers european adventure to the end, regardless of outcomes.

If this is the only stipulation on us landing him, then I think it's worth doing. Hopefully though he could be doing some work behind the scenes during this time, possibly even targetting possible signings? (Ritchie Ryan rumour?)

GGTTH

nortonhibby
11-11-2011, 08:13 AM

There simply has to be an improvement as it was at the bottom of the barrel when CC Was finally canned.
Lets give the guy a chance and see how he fares a string of good results and performances will bring back confidence.

Beefster
11-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I'd be well worried and a little bit pissed off if the club don't appoint a permanent manager until right before the January window. ****ing joke, tbh, and gives the new guy (unless it's Brown) little time to prepare for changes.

And it had better not be Brown (not that much will happen other than Mrs Beefster suffering because I'm pissed off, mind you).

FifeeHibee
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM

I think that if he wins 2 or 3 early games, we've got Brown for keeps. Doesn't seem very exciting but may be no bad thing. It's highly possible that we'll start next season with Brown at the helm so we'd better get used to it!

Kaiser_Sauzee
11-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Billy, this is your chance. If you are good enough, now is the time to prove it.

hibiedude
11-11-2011, 09:10 AM
It will be interesting to see what team he puts out and see what tactics he uses during the game because the past it appears to have been stick the team out and leave them even though the game was running away from us.

Hibbyradge
11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
What makes people think that he could do the job?

Also, why would he suddenly want to be number one having been happy as an assistant for 20 odd years?

Has he got an eye for a player?

Can he manage a multi million pound budget?

Has he got people skills other than bawling at folk?

Has he got any tactical nous?

Maybe he has all the skills to be hugely successful, but I've seen no evidence of it so I'm not joining in the clamour to have him appointed.

Billy Whizz
11-11-2011, 09:46 AM
The uncertainty of the situation is not good for all.
The club need to make a statement to let us know what is happening

Hibbyradge
11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
The uncertainty of the situation is not good for all.
The club need to make a statement to let us know what is happening

The club have made their statement. They have started a recruitment process.

The uncertainty comes from people making up rumours and spreading them. I don't believe that any decision has been made about Billy Brown other than he is is in charge until we appoint a permanent manager.

If he has applied for the job, he will be interviewed along with everyone else on the short list.

Hibs will make a statement when they have something to say.

Andy74
11-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Billy Brown has been arround the game for a number of years as an assistant. Why has he never got a top job? Why would he suddenly get one of the top jobs in Scotland?

Up and coming coaches is one thing but I'm not sure about long term assistants getting bumped up to managers. Has it ever worked out well?

The Voice Of Reason
11-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Also, why would he suddenly want to be number one having been happy as an assistant for 20 odd years?

Maybe he has all the skills to be hugely successful, but I've seen no evidence of it so I'm not joining in the clamour to have him appointed.

I agree with Hibbyradge - I also am not joining the "clamour" to have Brown appointed as manager.

Billy Brown has been a career number 2, so it would therefore be much better to have Jeffries as manager and Brown as his number 2. :agree:

Well said Hibbyradge :thumbsup::wink:

Speedway
11-11-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/hibs_caretaker_boss_brown_i_ll_be_doing_things_my_ way_1_1961077

Strong words from Bobby but that's his perogative.

Biggie
11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/other-sport/hibs_caretaker_boss_brown_i_ll_be_doing_things_my_ way_1_1961077

Strong words from Bobby but that's his perogative.
I like the sound of this man....sounds like they'll be run off their feet, told how to perform...and if his initial interview is anything to go by, we might see a different hibs team in the next few games.
He wasn't my first choice, but he talks a good game...and if he can get some of the desire to win games he helped generate in hearts, he'll do for me.

Quite excited about the killie game now..

Part/Time Supporter
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Billy Brown has been arround the game for a number of years as an assistant. Why has he never got a top job? Why would he suddenly get one of the top jobs in Scotland?

Up and coming coaches is one thing but I'm not sure about long term assistants getting bumped up to managers. Has it ever worked out well?

There was the Liverpool boot room example (Paisley / Fagan / Evans) but obviously that was a very different situation (those guys had been there for pretty much their whole careers).

bingo70
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Totally agree, words are cheap but I've been waiting for years to hear a manager say the players need to get the finger out, we've been pussyfooting around the players for far too long imo.

As for him getting the job full time, I don't think promoting an assistant to manager from a struggling team to stop the rott is a good idea, I think we should bring in a young manager like MoN then have BB ready to take over from him once he moves on, assuming the next guy is a success, basically provide continuity from a successful spell rather than an unsuccessful spell

Andy74
11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
I like the sound of this man....sounds like they'll be run off their feet, told how to perform...and if his initial interview is anything to go by, we might see a different hibs team in the next few games.
He wasn't my first choice, but he talks a good game...and if he can get some of the desire to win games he helped generate in hearts, he'll do for me.

Quite excited about the killie game now..

I'm never sure about this kind of chat from someone who was already there and in many ways responsible for helping implement this anyway.

From what I heard from the AGM about the recognition that we need a leader and someone that everyone can realte with and follow i just can't see Brown being considered in that way.

This is a time to pull in someone that we would all do anything for is it not?

Take Sauzee, regardless of the situtation he was in most of us would have been there with him for a long time. The atmosphere for his first game at EEP was amazing.

We are missing a few thousand people right now and probably most of the ones still going are a bit apathetic and this appointment needs to look at addressing that.

Persevere80
11-11-2011, 12:28 PM
He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? It would be typical of hibs to give a guy a chance. I am confident in him taking over temporary but i feel the board are going to have to take a bit of time over this one, so giving BB untill January might be a good shout.

Jack
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I'd be well worried and a little bit pissed off if the club don't appoint a permanent manager until right before the January window. ****ing joke, tbh, and gives the new guy (unless it's Brown) little time to prepare for changes.

And it had better not be Brown (not that much will happen other than Mrs Beefster suffering because I'm pissed off, mind you).

If it was to be, MON, then I dare say the contractual bits and bobs could be sorted out fairly quickly and he would have ample opportunity to assess the squad and identify players, or positions he wanted filled, before formally taking over the reins, whenever that might be.

Biggie
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm never sure about this kind of chat from someone who was already there and in many ways responsible for helping implement this anyway.

From what I heard from the AGM about the recognition that we need a leader and someone that everyone can realte with and follow i just can't see Brown being considered in that way.

This is a time to pull in someone that we would all do anything for is it not?

Take Sauzee, regardless of the situtation he was in most of us would have been there with him for a long time. The atmosphere for his first game at EEP was amazing.

We are missing a few thousand people right now and probably most of the ones still going are a bit apathetic and this appointment needs to look at addressing that.
Andy, we've tried bringing in exciting up and coming Managers before...many times, and look where it's got us. The only thing (I think) will get the punters back in is an exciting team on the park...of if they can't excite us, one that works it's bollocks off and gets results the hard way (don't think I've ever seen a hibs team win the hard way)....
So maybe, just maybe BB can instill this work ethic into these boys, and that will hopefully get results, which in turn will get the fans back.......

We've got to try something different...lets wait and see how BB does in his games...maybe he's exactly the type of guy we need.

Who did you have in mind as a leader who would have us all do anything for ?

Andy74
11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Andy, we've tried bringing in exciting up and coming Managers before...many times, and look where it's got us. The only thing (I think) will get the punters back in is an exciting team on the park...of if they can't excite us, one that works it's bollocks off and gets results the hard way (don't think I've ever seen a hibs team win the hard way)....
So maybe, just maybe BB can instill this work ethic into these boys, and that will hopefully get results, which in turn will get the fans back.......

We've got to try something different...lets wait and see how BB does in his games...maybe he's exactly the type of guy we need.

Who did you have in mind as a leader who would have us all do anything for ?

I didn't say they should be up and coming but actualy where did that get us previously?

The ones I can think of in that category are Mowbray who was a realtive success and got people through the gates, JC, who won a trophy and Mixu who at least got us top six finishes.

Hughes maybe sneaks into that category and was fourth in his furst full year before it went badly.

In terms of experience Bobby W and now Calderwood could both be described as disasters in terms of people losing interest and having little success.

So, as I said I think it comes down to the skills of leadership and being able to bring us together in support.

In terms of who I'm not so sure but I'd be more sure of who that wouldn't be and I think Billy Brown would be in that category.

Of the names mentioned O'Neill and Strachan would have a chance of being inspirational if they were able to come in and say and do the right things.

Persevere80
11-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Dont say Billy Stark, i have only had 5 replies to my suggestion, with Billy Brown as his assistant.

The two Billys for me. :aok:

Beefster
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Dont say Billy Stark, i have only had 5 replies to my suggestion, with Billy Brown as his assistant.

The two Billys for me. :aok:

Has Billy Stark done anything in management?

Persevere80
11-11-2011, 01:39 PM
He has never won any cups, gained promotion or helped manage a team out of a relegation battle if that's what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Stark

Albion Hibs
11-11-2011, 08:25 PM

That seems a little farcical even for Hibs.

joe breezy
12-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Unfortunately he'll never have to at Hibs...

Northernhibee
12-11-2011, 07:31 AM
That seems a little farcical even for Hibs. I think it's a great idea, BB has a huge opportunity to show he can lead and to give Vlad a proper GIRFUY.

KeithTheHibby
12-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Sounds like bollox to me.

I may be wrong but were the players not off for a few days? How would they even know who was taking over considering the board were not discussing the applicants till Wednesday at the earliest?

Re MoN; if his contract is up in a few weeks then it should not make one bit of difference to Hibs - if he is the man that the club want then we should not have to wait until a few weeks time.

lucky
12-11-2011, 08:09 AM
BB is an assistant end of. If MoN wants the job he comes now not after 2 more euro games with a side that can't qualify. It's hardly showing commitment by waiting 6 weeks

Peevemor
12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
BB is an assistant end of. If MoN wants the job he comes now not after 2 more euro games with a side that can't qualify. It's hardly showing commitment by waiting 6 weeks

It is showing commitment, but to his current team - I don't see a problem with that.

During one of my few changes of job, I gave 3 months notice instead of one so as not to leave my employer in the keech, It didn't mean I was any less committed or excited about my new job.

smurf
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Dangerous game to play if true. We did this with Jocky Scott in 1996....

We either appoint a guy until the summer or get a guy in on a longer term contract.

The guy we should be talking to is Billy Davies the outstanding available candidate.

greenlex
12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Dangerous game to play if true. We did this with Jocky Scott in 1996....

We either appoint a guy until the summer or get a guy in on a longer term contract.

The guy we should be talking to is Billy Davies the outstanding available candidate.

Without a doubt Smurf but only if Davies is indeed a candidate.

Monkey Harris
12-11-2011, 12:44 PM
BB is an assistant end of. Houstan had the same thing said about him and went on to win a cup & finish 3rd. And again the same thing was said about some Walter Smith fella, not like he ever won **** all.

Sas_The_Hibby
12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
It is showing commitment, but to his current team - I don't see a problem with that.

During one of my few changes of job, I gave 3 months notice instead of one so as not to leave my employer in the keech, It didn't mean I was any less committed or excited about my new job.

I presume your new job wasn't managing Hibs then? :greengrin

smurf
13-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Without a doubt Smurf but only if Davies is indeed a candidate.

No doubt he sees himself longer term down south. He's an ambitious guy who certainly has faith in his abilities.

All good as far as I'm concerned if he viewed Easter Road as a passport to a big championship job or the national side.

He's on record saying a few weeks back that he would consider a job in Scotland.

I really hope he's applied or that the club will invite him to and sell their vision of the opportunity at Easter Road.

Beefster
13-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Houstan had the same thing said about him and went on to win a cup & finish 3rd. And again the same thing was said about some Walter Smith fella, not like he ever won **** all.

Houston took over a decent side, playing well and hasn't been able to sustain that longer-term. Whoever gets the Hibs job will take over a crap side, playing crap and will have to dramatically improve that in the short and long-term.

Beefster
13-11-2011, 08:54 AM
No doubt he sees himself longer term down south. He's an ambitious guy who certainly has faith in his abilities.

All good as far as I'm concerned if he viewed Easter Road as a passport to a big championship job or the national side.

He's on record saying a few weeks back that he would consider a job in Scotland.

I really hope he's applied or that the club will invite him to and sell their vision of the opportunity at Easter Road.

I'd take him in a minute, even if it was only for a season or two. He's far too independent and out-spoken for the club though.

smurf
13-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I'd take him in a minute, even if it was only for a season or two. He's far too independent and out-spoken for the club though.

The board want a leader and if they are serious then...

I'm far from convinced of any evidence to suggest Michael O'Neil is a 'leader of men'.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 09:03 AM

I think Davies would be in a similiar boat to CC in that he's always have half an eye on down south knowing he's already got a reputation down there so even if he did fail here it probably wouldn't effect his chances of getting a job down there again when the right one came up for him, so essentially he'd be killing time until he got a job he actually wanted.

I think this is different to a young up and coming manager who sees improving hibs as a passport to making his name as a manager and therefore getting a move down south so has to succeed and will do whatever it takes to make sure he does.

bingo70
13-11-2011, 09:10 AM
The board want a leader and if they are serious then...

I'm far from convinced of any evidence to suggest Michael O'Neil is a 'leader of men'.

All previous managers that you would consider to be a leader of men had to be given the opportunity at a bigger club at sometime.

I don't know Michael O'neill personally obviously but he struck me as a player as the sort of player that wouldn't take any ****, since then he's gone against the grain of most footballers and educated himself, opened up a business outside of football before going on to be successfull in both jobs he's been in. I think this shows he's the sort of person who should be leading and an intelligent person (which he appears to be) has a far better chance of being 'a leader' than someone that can get really angry and shout at people to intimidate them.