PDA

View Full Version : Hyland on Sky Sports News

Prawn Sandwich
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I just caught the end of the interview with Fife Hyndland MD of Hibs and he seemed to rule out Jim Jefferies for Manager with some wriggle room. When pressed if Jefferies was in with a shout he just repeated that the Board is in constant contact with the support or words to that effect?

silverhibee
10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Fyfe just been on SSN, the reporter was asking him the question about FFJK becoming the next Hibs manager, the reporter must have asked Fyfe about five times if FFJK would be considered for the Hibs job, Fyfe wouldn't rule it out and came over as a bit annoyed regarding the questions about FFJK.
Worth a we watch.

PeterboroHibee
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Sounds as if it was just the typical responses you see in football, he cant really confirm or deny anything about anyone whilst they are going through the interview process (and tbh, why should, its an internal matter for the board at the moment).

Cabbage East
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Based on the events of the AGM I would say there is very little chance of FJK getting the gig but it wouldn't be professional for Fyfe to rule it out.

WindyMiller
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Obviously the lack of support, and constant undermining, any manager can expect from our Board hasn't put people off applying.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11792/7301424/Berg-keen-on-Hibs-job

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Fair enough consider JJ if he applies - and even then....!

But for us to go after him or invite him to apply... Are there not other candidates out there who could do at least the same if not better? I dunno the stats as I'm not a yam but BB aside could the attracton be

1) no compo
2) no change for #2
3) knows the importance of the derby and how to go on a winning streak
4) strengths and weaknesses of the yams
5) is he the only spl manager who has consistently manager to get his team into high positions in the top 5?

Still think if he wants to he should apply from his own volition or maybe for both sides to save face bump into each other in the changing rooms at Football Nation?

SquashedFrogg
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Fair enough consider JJ if he applies - and even then....!

But for us to go after him or invite him to apply... Are there not other candidates out there who could do at least the same if not better? I dunno the stats as I'm not a yam but BB aside could the attracton be

1) no compo
2) no change for #2
3) knows the importance of the derby and how to go on a winning streak
4) strengths and weaknesses of the yams
5) is he the only spl manager who has consistently manager to get his team into high positions in the top 5?

Still think if he wants to he should apply from his own volition or maybe for both sides to save face bump into each other in the changing rooms at Football Nation?

Regardless of who get's the job I would be very worried if our board made managerial appointments based on the opinions of irrational supporters.

Cabbage East
10-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Regardless of who get's the job I would be very worried if our board made managerial appointments based on the opinions of irrational supporters.

I'd be more worried if they didn't consider the feelings of the fans when making what would be an extremely unpopular appointment.

Beefster
10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd be more worried if they didn't consider the feelings of the fans when making what would be an extremely unpopular appointment.

They've listened to supporters for 3 of the last 4 managers. We don't have a clue.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
They've listened to supporters for 3 of the last 4 managers. We don't have a clue.

This unfortunately is true. How can we possibly know if someone would make a good Hibs manager?

It's all guess work, starry eyes and hope.

However, we do know who we don't want and we do know who would divide and lose the fans.

MrSmith
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM

I agree! :na na:

Part/Time Supporter
10-11-2011, 12:58 PM

:agree:

The views of supporters should only be considered in the sense of ruling out certain individuals who would clearly be unpopular and would be fighting an uphill battle from day one, ie Jefferies. The rest of it should be up to the board.

scottp1875
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
This unfortunately is true. How can we possibly know if someone would make a good Hibs manager?

However, we do know who we don't want and we do know who would divide and lose the fans.

Can I just say that i'm definately not saying that I favour Jeffries but Villa did a similar move for McLeish and so far their doing alright after initial fears.

thats all I'm saying though as I think I would still rather take someone else

euro Hibby
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Can't believe the love in with JJ. Can you imagine what flak he would take if he did not win a game in the

first 4 weeks ! There are loads of other guys which are an easier choice because whoever comes needs

12 months to get a chance make more progress. I also don't think JJ plays a brand of football which Hibs

aspire to even if we have been crap over the last 12 months and well short of our standard !

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Can I just say that i'm definately not saying that I favour Jeffries but Villa did a similar move for McLeish and so far their doing alright after initial fears.

McLeish never played and captained Birmingham, managed them for several years on 2 occasions or supported them all his life.

Saorsa
10-11-2011, 01:25 PM
They've listened to supporters for 3 of the last 4 managers. We don't have a clue.I've seen the fans blamed for a lot of things on but now we're responsible for Petrie picking crap managers?

And for the record I want neither Hughes or Mixu.

Calvin
10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I've seen the fans blamed for a lot of things on but now we're responsible for Petrie picking crap managers?

I don't think the suggestion was that the fans were to blame for the appointments, just that they had the popular support of the fans.

Elephant Stone
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I've seen the fans blamed for a lot of things on but now we're responsible for Petrie picking crap managers?

Nobody's saying that, I think people are just trying to suggest that it's maybe a more difficult job than people give the board credit for. We're demanding that they predict what seemingly no one else can.

Saorsa
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think the suggestion was that the fans were to blame for the appointments, just that they had the popular support of the fans.

Nobody's saying that, I think people are just trying to suggest that it's maybe a more difficult job than people give the board credit for. We're demanding that they predict what seemingly no one else can.Of course their Hibs connection would make them popular with the fans and we would hope they would succeed but they passed Petrie's interview criteria (whatever qualifies him for that) and he is responsible for their being in the job.

BEEJ
10-11-2011, 01:56 PM
As Hibbyradge says, there is just no comparison here. This would not simply be someone flitting across the city having worked for the Yams for a couple of seasons. Nothing like it.

Take a moment to read JJ's wiki page (yes, even he has one) and understand how during virtually all his playing career and much of his managment career he has eat, slept and breathed HoMoFC.

What would be his motivation for taking the ER job? Why would we even entertain the idea?

Beefster
10-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I read an article somewhere recently about how their crowds have plummeted and the fans are divided. Maybe the anti-Jefferies folk are right?

I didn't say that.

Nor did I.

Edit: That sounds like a split personality having a conversation with itself!

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I read an article somewhere recently about how their crowds have plummeted and the fans are divided. Maybe the anti-Jefferies folk are right?

I didn't say that.

Nor did I.

Edit: That sounds like a split personality having a conversation with itself!

:hilarious :thumbsup:

scoopyboy
10-11-2011, 02:15 PM
McLeish never played and captained Birmingham, managed them for several years on 2 occasions or supported them all his life.

Nor did he play in a derby where he lost 7-0 on new years day or lose 6-2 in an Edinburgh derby when he manager.

For these two games alone I will always look at Jeffries and have a nice wee smile to myself.

One of my favourite pictures is Alan Gordon heading in the seventh with Jeffries simply standing and admiring him.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Nor did he play in a derby where he lost 7-0 on new years day or lose 6-2 in an Edinburgh derby when he manager.

For these two games alone I will always look at Jeffries and have a nice wee smile to myself.

One of my favourite pictures is Alan Gordon heading in the seventh with Jeffries simply standing and admiring him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBDHez9yuI

madabouthibs
10-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Rather worryingly, my wife seen JJ hanging about Jenners today, with his moby in hand......

green glory
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Rather worryingly, my wife seen JJ hanging about Jenners today, with his moby in hand......

Are you sure she didn't say boaby? Remember he's a jambo.

KWJ
10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
As Hibbyradge says, there is just no comparison here. This would not simply be someone flitting across the city having worked for the Yams for a couple of seasons. Nothing like it.

Take a moment to read JJ's wiki page (yes, even he has one) and understand how during virtually all his playing career and much of his managment career he has eat, slept and breathed HoMoFC.

What would be his motivation for taking the ER job? Why would we even entertain the idea?

I certainly think he'd have the motivation going by the way that mad Vlad has treated him and he'll have seen that some of the fans were apparently quite happy with his dismissal.

He's got a point to prove.

He's not my first choice mind but I wouldn't be foaming at the mouth if it happened.

marinello59
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Can't believe the love in with JJ. Can you imagine what flak he would take if he did not win a game in the

first 4 weeks ! There are loads of other guys which are an easier choice because whoever comes needs

12 months to get a chance make more progress. I also don't think JJ plays a brand of football which Hibs

aspire to even if we have been crap over the last 12 months and well short of our standard !

Love in? :hilarious I haven't seen any great outpouring of adoration for him from anybody. Personally I wouldn't want him anywhere near Easter Road but after Calderwood's disastrous reign I can understand why some would consider the previously unthinkable.

hibsitis
10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think JJ is a realistic possibility. The board is under huge pressure to get this right. If JJ flopped it would be ,a huge double whammy for them and lead to even greater alienation. Same goes for other high risk appointments such as Tango Man.

Part/Time Supporter
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM

As long as he wasn't in the Hibs club shop toilets you'll be okay.

:wink:

EasterRoad4Ever
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Main criteria is someone who can do a decent job and, if they do, won't jump ship at the first offer from a bigger club (or start all that Calderwood sweetie nonsense). Jeffries probably fits into that category as he's been around the block, been Yam manager twice and tried England. In saying that, IMHO JJ would be too dangerous an appointment. It is patently obvious that the guy has been emotionally scarred by Hibs over the years. 0-7, 6-2 and a 5-1 Cup Final humping has made the guy seriously bitter about everything connected to Hibs. I would go as far to say if things started going tits up for him at ER, he would deliberately sabotage matches against his Yams in the hope that they could run up a 7 or 8-0 scoreline, and would walk away happy. With ANY other manager, even any other ex-Yam, I'd have no fears about this but Jeffries is a nut-job when it comes to Hibs.

HibsMax
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM

So very, very true. I was talking to my wife last night about hiring people. Neither one of us works for a football team or any team but we've both been involved in hiring people. Without giving her any context I asked her how much blame she would put on someone if they hired someone who turned out to be useless. Her answer was the same as mine. Very little. Some people interview very well, they flatter to deceive. And if that person has good references then why wouldn't you hire them? I was partially responsible for hiring a guy a couple of years ago. Everyone who spoke with him was blown away. Some thought he was over-qualified. He turned out to be a dud who could just talk the talk. She told me that her company's interview process is very rigourous, including aptitude tests, but they still hire some total failures. It happens and there is very little you can do about it. That's why I won't join the lynch mob that wants to oust RP et al. If anyone thinks they have a foolproof hiring process then they should publish it and make a lot of money.

I am making a couple of assumptions, assumptions that I think are fair:
1. all candidates WERE vetted rigourously, and
2. all references checked out

HKhibby
10-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Would take JJ, he has the experience in the spl and scottish football in general, yes he may have a point to prove to Romanov!, but that could well work in our favour too!, he isnt a guy that will get us relegated, more likely mid table/top 6, Billy Brown is with us already, and the two of them have worked at 3/4 clubs or times together and had reasonable success, not to mention winning a scottish cup! although with them!
Dont want Jimmy Calderwood, he is a short time manager, although would take us up the table and win some good points both home and away, is still very short term, remember his previous jobs apart from the good run at Dunfermline he had, Michael O neil is a non starter to me, good at Shamrock Rovers? the Scottish league isnt that good or has a reputation, but the irish league? worse if you ask me and alot of people!, did ok at Brechin, but that isnt the Spl, too inexperienced!, this time we need somebody with experience, not a youngster or inexperienced novice!
Thats why the likes of JJ, Strachan, Butcher?...maybe!, missed out on Mcinnes!...unfortunatly!, Adams wont come back, Mcall at Motherwell wont leave and would cost alot in compensation, so yes thats why we really need someone with not just experience but with Spl experience and alot of it!

ancienthibby
10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=HKhibby;2982484]Would take JJ, he has the experience in the spl and scottish football in general, yes he may have a point to prove to Romanov!, but that could well work in our favour too!, he isnt a guy that will get us relegated, more likely mid table/top 6, Billy Brown is with us already, and the two of them have worked at 3/4 clubs or times together and had reasonable success, not to mention winning a scottish cup! although with them!
Dont want Jimmy Calderwood, he is a short time manager, although would take us up the table and win some good points both home and away, is still very short term, remember his previous jobs apart from the good run at Dunfermline he had, Michael O neil is a non starter to me, good at Shamrock Rovers? the Scottish league isnt that good or has a reputation, but the irish league? worse if you ask me and alot of people!, did ok at Brechin, but that isnt the Spl, too inexperienced!, this time we need somebody with experience, not a youngster or inexperienced novice!
Thats why the likes of JJ, Strachan, Butcher?...maybe!, missed out on Mcinnes!...unfortunatly!, Adams wont come back, Mcall at Motherwell wont leave and would cost alot in compensation, so yes thats why we really need someone with not just experience but with Spl experience and alot of it![/QUOTE

LTYF.

Dearie me, how long do we have to put up with drivel??

The only place for FJK at ER is cleaning out the stadium toilets!!

bawheid
10-11-2011, 04:05 PM
LTYF.

Dearie me, how long do we have to put up with drivel??

The only place for FJK at ER is cleaning out the stadium toilets!!

Precisely. Spotting them on the various JJ threads is like shooting fish in a barrel. Round them all up and get them launched.

Jim Jefferies as Hibernian manager. Dear, oh dear...

Pretty Boy
10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I think the quote 'we need someone to unify the club and unify the support' was ruling FJK out without explicitly saying so.

It just isn't going to happen

scottp1875
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
As Hibbyradge says, there is just no comparison here. This would not simply be someone flitting across the city having worked for the Yams for a couple of seasons. Nothing like it.Take a moment to read JJ's wiki page (yes, even he has one) and understand how during virtually all his playing career and much of his managment career he has eat, slept and breathed HoMoFC.What would be his motivation for taking the ER job? Why would we even entertain the idea? Simple fact he would be going from city rivals direct to city rivals without the comp. That's the comparison. If you want to talk about his history then as someone else said was he not part of our history for being on the end of 2 of our biggest wins.Regarding poster who said villa crowds have went down since mcleish went there. Remind me what has happened since we brought in someone with no affiliation to them, crowds have been terrible. Simple fact whoever takes over, if they start winning games we won't care where they came from and crowds will return. End off.Anyway I would like strachan but unlikely

StevieC
10-11-2011, 05:32 PM

But the flip side is that JJ was instrumental in two of our best ever derby victories. :wink:

hibsbollah
10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
So very, very true. I was talking to my wife last night about hiring people. Neither one of us works for a football team or any team but we've both been involved in hiring people. Without giving her any context I asked her how much blame she would put on someone if they hired someone who turned out to be useless. Her answer was the same as mine. Very little. Some people interview very well, they flatter to deceive. And if that person has good references then why wouldn't you hire them? I was partially responsible for hiring a guy a couple of years ago. Everyone who spoke with him was blown away. Some thought he was over-qualified. He turned out to be a dud who could just talk the talk. She told me that her company's interview process is very rigourous, including aptitude tests, but they still hire some total failures. It happens and there is very little you can do about it. That's why I won't join the lynch mob that wants to oust RP et al. If anyone thinks they have a foolproof hiring process then they should publish it and make a lot of money.I am making a couple of assumptions, assumptions that I think are fair:1. all candidates WERE vetted rigourously, and2. all references checked out Thats a very good point.

BEEJ
10-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Simple fact he would be going from city rivals direct to city rivals without the comp. That's the comparison. If you want to talk about his history then as someone else said was he not part of our history for being on the end of 2 of our biggest wins.
:Ummm:

And why, exactly, would that fact make him a good candidate for the ER post? :greengrin

hugo boss
10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
HYLAND is a F**D petrie's muppet

nortonhibby
10-11-2011, 07:06 PM
I just caught the end of the interview with Fife Hyndland MD of Hibs and he seemed to rule out Jim Jefferies for Manager with some wriggle room. When pressed if Jefferies was in with a shout he just repeated that the Board is in constant contact with the support or words to that effect?

Could you see the strings attached to the puppeteer RP.

hugo boss
10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Could you see the strings attached to the puppeteer RP.

yes i could they were all tongue twisted at the AGM they got of lightly in my eyes

Baldy Foghorn
10-11-2011, 07:56 PM
The club has aked for unity, IMO appointing someone like JJ would be totally divisive and for that reason I can't see it happening.....

Springbank
10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
HYLAND is a F**D petrie's muppet i like to be 'street' as much as the next mofo, but dude, i can't work out what letters you're blanking. Do not feed petrie's muppet? Do not find Petrie's muppet? Does anyone have the Haps on this crucial aspect of our managerial situation?

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2011, 08:32 PM
The club has aked for unity, IMO appointing someone like JJ would be totally divisive and for that reason I can't see it happening.....

:agree: for that reason alone i cant see them giving that fud the job.:pray:

nortonhibby
10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
HYLAND is a F**D petrie's muppet
really i would never have guessed:confused:

hibsbollah
10-11-2011, 08:34 PM
i like to be 'street' as much as the next mofo, but dude, i can't work out what letters you're blanking. Do not feed petrie's muppet? Do not find Petrie's muppet? Does anyone have the Haps on this crucial aspect of our managerial situation? Flid? Fred?Street...its all greek to me.

Irish_Steve
10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Flid? Fred?Street...its all greek to me.

All geek to me, n`all

lapsedhibee
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
i like to be 'street' as much as the next mofo, but dude, i can't work out what letters you're blanking. Do not feed petrie's muppet? Do not find Petrie's muppet? Does anyone have the Haps on this crucial aspect of our managerial situation?

Fond. Petrie is fond of Hyland. In a manly way likes.

scottp1875
11-11-2011, 01:31 PM
:Ummm:

And why, exactly, would that fact make him a good candidate for the ER post? :greengrin

if you read my post and the reply, at no point did I said he would be a good candidate just comparing to what went on at Villa in the summer.

Would rather stay clear of him if I had my way but hey the board have made strange decisions in the past