PDA

View Full Version : More than 40 applicants...

francobaresi
10-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Have applied for the current vacancy at ER according to BBC Sport website... Guesses as to who has applied from the professional managerial world of soccer and when is the closing date...?

PISTOL1875
10-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Have applied for the current vacancy at ER according to BBC Sport website... Guesses as to who has applied from the professional managerial world of soccer and when is the closing date...?

Jimmy Calderwood.
Mark McGhee..

SteveHFC
10-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Michael O'Neil
John Collins
Danny Lennon
Gary Bollan
George Burley

The Green Man
10-11-2011, 12:22 AM
It's alot of applicants, but Petrie's has told each of them that they'll all get a shot and not to be disapointed if they don't get it this time round!

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Collins will not have applied.

O'Neill and Calderwood, probably.

John Robertson and the yam from Raith as well.

Can't think of any other credible candidates who would have applied.

Shaun Lawson???? (I applied for the Hearts job more than once!)

.Sean.
10-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Zola
Lennon
Pressley
Jefferies
Gannon
A whole host of English-based candidates none of us will have heard of.

Hibercelona
10-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Those mentioned + Everybody who posted in the "If you were the Hibs manager" thread. :agree:

iwasthere1972
10-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Aidy Boothroyd
Dave Jones

PISTOL1875
10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Derek Adams ??

francobaresi
10-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Zola
Lennon
Pressley
Jefferies
Gannon
A whole host of English-based candidates none of us will have heard of.

Yeah, that's the worrying part, those we have not heard of but have made the right moves worthy of a move to HFC... As long as it aint a knee jerk reaction to appease us....

iwasthere1972
10-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Eduard Maloveev
Graham Rix
Shaun Lawson
Wee Airdrie Jambo

Hibercelona
10-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Eduard Maloveev
Graham Rix
Shaun Lawson
Wee Airdrie Jambo

:tsk tsk:

iwasthere1972
10-11-2011, 01:04 AM
:tsk tsk:

Good news. Shaun Lawson has pulled out. He couldn't find Edinburgh on his map.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Good news. Shaun Lawson has pulled out. He couldn't find Edinburgh on his map.

If the rumours are true he's yet to put it in nevermind pull out ;)

hibby67
10-11-2011, 03:55 AM
I WOULD NOT TOUCH ANYMANAGER THAT APPLIES
I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IF YOU WERE A TOP MANAGER EITHER IN OR OUT OF WORK THEN THE CLUB (HIBS ON THIS OCCASION) WOULD COME LOOKING FOR YOU....
TO ME APPLYING FOR THE JOB SOUND LIKE DESPERATION.....

ON ANOTHER NOTE HOW DO YOU APPLY FOR A FOOTBALL MANAGERS JOB...
IS IT AS SOON AS IT'S ANNOUNCED ON THE MEDIA ANYONE WHO THINKS HE IS A MANAGER RINGS THE CLUB TO SAY I AM AVAILABLE...

BECAUSE LETS FACE IT IT WAS ONLY ANNOUNCED ON SUNDAY THAT CC WAS AWAY AND BUY TUE NIGHT WE HAD 40 APPLICANTS FOR THE JOB......IF THEY HAD NOT RANG THE CLUB THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO SEND THEIR APPLICATIONS IN VIA POST

I'D SAY WELL DONE TO THE ROYAL MAIL FOR DELIVERING ALL THE APPLICATIONS SO QUICKLY...WISH MY TICKETS FOR MATCHES CAME AS QUICK.....:greengrin

Niffy
10-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Eh ... Email ?

hibby67
10-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Eh ... Email ? :not worth

Geo_1875
10-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Eh ... Email ?

Fax, telephone, courier?

Jimmy Calderwood probably delivered his in person.

Russian Hibs Fan
10-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Eduard Maloveev

No. I think he is retired even from Russian team because of his age.

At The Edge
10-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Same view as Hibby67 although i'll not shout!:wink:

Guy at work said pretty much the same, if you have to apply for the managers job then its a pretty good chance you're not in the frame.
Hibs will know who they want and have a short list, i would also think that they had feelers out or were keeping an eye on things during the final period of CC's time when it was looking likely that he couldn't/wouldn't turn fortunes around for Hibs.

That is unless Sir Alex or Pep Guardiola have stuck a sneaky cv in! :greengrin

Andy74
10-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Didn't Mowbray apply when he got it?

stokesmessiah
10-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I WOULD NOT TOUCH ANYMANAGER THAT APPLIES
I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IF YOU WERE A TOP MANAGER EITHER IN OR OUT OF WORK THEN THE CLUB (HIBS ON THIS OCCASION) WOULD COME LOOKING FOR YOU....
TO ME APPLYING FOR THE JOB SOUND LIKE DESPERATION.....

ON ANOTHER NOTE HOW DO YOU APPLY FOR A FOOTBALL MANAGERS JOB...
IS IT AS SOON AS IT'S ANNOUNCED ON THE MEDIA ANYONE WHO THINKS HE IS A MANAGER RINGS THE CLUB TO SAY I AM AVAILABLE...

BECAUSE LETS FACE IT IT WAS ONLY ANNOUNCED ON SUNDAY THAT CC WAS AWAY AND BUY TUE NIGHT WE HAD 40 APPLICANTS FOR THE JOB......IF THEY HAD NOT RANG THE CLUB THEY WOULD HAVE HAD TO SEND THEIR APPLICATIONS IN VIA POSTB

I'D SAY WELL DONE TO THE ROYAL MAIL FOR DELIVERING ALL THE APPLICATIONS SO QUICKLY...WISH MY TICKETS FOR MATCHES CAME AS QUICK.....:greengrin

You may of heard of a new invention called the internet which brings with it a new form of mail called Electronic Mail or Email if i may?:wink:

Sioux
10-11-2011, 09:22 AM
The combined "ah ken mare aboot fitba than any professional" mob from hibs.net.

Non fitba folk ken whits gaun oan!

hibby67
10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Ok so email slipped my mind but in my defence I posted it at the end of 10 straight nightshifts
But who applies for a job buy email unprofessional and not hibs class
Also how would you know where it came from anyone can make up a false email address Alex.Ferguson@hotmail.com
With that I will bid you good night

AllyT
10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok so email slipped my mind but in my defence I posted it at the end of 10 straight nightshifts
Also how would you know where it came from anyone can make up a false email address Alex.Ferguson@hotmail.com

Most companies accept email applications nowadays :wink:

flash
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I cant take the recruitment process seriously until Jim Gannons mate gets involved again.

Those were the days.

Beefster
10-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Paul Dalglish.

Allant1981
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I honestly dont care who gets the job as long as they give the players a boot up the ring and get them winning again, hopefully doing that playing good football but just now we need wins rather than fancy football

Hainan Hibs
10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Can't wait for the next edition of The Scotsmans "Nevio Scala throws his name into the ring for (insert name of Scottish club here) gig" article.

carnoustiehibee
10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Henning berg

CyberSauzee
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Henning berg

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/11/10/ex-rangers-man-utd-star-henning-berg-let-me-boss-hibs-86908-23551063/

Keith_M
10-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Stuart Baxter?

He surely must be linked to the job at some point.

Lucius Apuleius
10-11-2011, 11:54 AM

The only way anybody does apply for jobs nowadays in my industry:wink:

Gettin' Auld
10-11-2011, 12:23 PM
If the rumours are true he's yet to put it in nevermind pull out ;)
:tee hee:

Franck is God
10-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Didn't Mowbray apply when he got it?

Yes he did along with a number of others who I'm sure were in jobs too.

A name that hasn't been mentioned is Paul Ince. Great record with MK Dons twice and Notts County. It didn't work for him at Blackburn as well but his teams certainly play nice football and score loads of goals, he talks very well about football, popular around the game (apart from West Ham fans) and will have contacts everywhere.

James70
10-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I would doubt that anyone currently employed by another club will have applied but that wouldn't rule out Hibs making approaches for someone they consider to be a suitable prospective manager.

It will be the usual bunch of out of work ex managers who will have applied and unless there is someone exceptional there I would think it a strong possibility that our new manager will not be one of the 40 applicants.

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I would doubt that anyone currently employed by another club will have applied

:confused:

What leads you to that conclusion?

I'd have thought the Hibs job was a step up for dozens of managers and assistant managers across the UK.

James70
10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
:confused:

What leads you to that conclusion?

I'd have thought the Hibs job was a step up for dozens of managers and assistant managers across the UK.

I do not dispute what you say but when they are under contract to another employer is it not proper ettiquette to wait to be approached rather than apply for another job behind their employer's back, or am I being a tad naive?

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I do not dispute what you say but when they are under contract to another employer is it not proper ettiquette to wait to be approached rather than apply for another job behind their employer's back, or am I being a tad naive?

I think you've answered your own question! :greengrin

Of course people will apply whilst working for other clubs. That's why the process has to be confidential.

For example, Tony Mowbray wasn't headhunted. He applied for the job.

Calvin
10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/11/10/ex-rangers-man-utd-star-henning-berg-let-me-boss-hibs-86908-23551063/

Interesting. He seemed to have a decent record with Lyn but a truly abysmal one this season at Lillestrom. Not a lot to inspire confidence really.

SteveHFC
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM

He was sacked from Lillestrom. No Thanks :bye:

EasterRoad4Ever
10-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Not surprised there have been loads of applicants. The last 2 managers have received decent salaries and comp pay offs for doing 12-18 months work not very well. If I was a young budding manager, failed manager or just generally on the make, I'd apply for the job. Easy money, easy gig.

freddie m
10-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Andy Watson.
Whoever gets the job has to be given the time to turn things around this time.

Glory glory
:flag::flag::flag:

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm fed up with all this 'give the next manager time' nonsense. I expect instant victories followed by the Scottish Cup and a top three finish. Next year the flag, CL qualification, the Scottish Cup retained and the League and Europa Cups won. Anything less would be a dismal failure.

EasterRoad4Ever
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Andy Watson.

Glory glory

With the caveat that they show SOME early signs of progress with the team spirit, structure, selection and performance. Whoever gets the job needs to hit the ground running and show signs of promise. IMHO Hibs fans have little to no patience left for underperfoming players, managers or Board members. This is last chance saloon for Petrie and his cohorts and they need to deliver the goods for a change !

Keith_M
10-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Andy Watson.

Glory glory

How about if that means being relegated?

heidtheba
10-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Most companies accept email applications nowadays :wink:

I got a spam email the other day from the head of CIA offering me millions in a 'sting' operation they were doing. Must have been real as his addy was hedofcia@hotmail.com - not even 'head'
!

francobaresi
11-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm fed up with all this 'give the next manager time' nonsense. I expect instant victories followed by the Scottish Cup and a top three finish. Next year the flag, CL qualification, the Scottish Cup retained and the League and Europa Cups won. Anything less would be a dismal failure.

Not asking too much us supporters are we :top marks

greenlex
11-11-2011, 10:41 AM
How about if that means being relegated?

If its the right appointment then so be it. If the club needs a root and branch reform and relegation is the short term outcome then longer term it might not be a bad thing. Instead of bringing in journeymen pros to eep us up and change nothing long term then it may be a price worth paying.

Martinez says e s under no pressure rapt Wigan as there is a long term plan he s implementing. He has been told even if relegated he won't be fired. The longer term goal is more important to Wigan than merely staying up.

greenlex
11-11-2011, 10:43 AM
He was sacked from Lillestrom. No Thanks :bye:

If we are narrowing it down to managers that haven't been sacked it will be a very short list.:greengrin

Speedway
11-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Interesting. He seemed to have a decent record with Lyn but a truly abysmal one this season at Lillestrom. Not a lot to inspire confidence really.

I'd rather have an Ice Berg manage us.

Alan Irvine has thrown his ring into the hat.

GreenCastle
11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Serious question -

So where is the job being posted ?

If 40 people applied - then surely the 40 people must have visited a website to fill in an application then send it via email to Hibs?

Or do these managers have agents who submit info to Hibs as soon as a position becomes available ?

Surely Hibs have a job description of the role - which includes leadership skills which was mentioned at the AGM.

Would be interesting to see if they actually do have a breakdown of the managers roles at HFC or it's just a causal process they use to find the right person for a very important job.

Thoughts ?

Andy74
11-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Serious question -

If 40 people applied - then surely the 40 people must have visited a website to fill in an application then send it via email to Hibs?

Or do these managers have agents who submit info to Hibs as soon as a position becomes available ?

Surely Hibs have a job description of the role - which includes leadership skills which was mentioned at the AGM.

Would be interesting to see if they actually do have a breakdown of the managers roles at HFC or it's just a causal process they use to find the right person for a very important job.

Thoughts ?

I'm sure they will have a description agreed and certainly when it comes to looking at the applications and CVs they will be looking against criteria agreed by the Board.

The job won't be advertised as such there will be people and agents just applying when they know there is a vacancy.

We will also have our own list of people that won't have aplied but we would like to talk to.

surreyhibbie
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Serious question -

Thoughts ?

Maybe they were all in the club shop when it was announced.... :greengrin

ginger_rice
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
If its the right appointment then so be it. If the club needs a root and branch reform .

Has Alan Titchmarsh applied? :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd rather have an Ice Berg manage us.

Alan Irvine has thrown his ring into the hat.

I would take him! :agree:

iwasthere1972
11-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Has Alan Titchmarsh applied? :greengrin

No. He's on gardening leave from his present club so can't apply.

nortonhibby
11-11-2011, 10:10 PM

This is good news:flag:

Mark79
11-11-2011, 10:37 PM

Is that you vlad?

FitbaFolkKen
12-11-2011, 01:47 AM
I would be reasonably happy with Alan Irvine, although his record isn't amazing roughly 40% win ratio with Preston and Sheff Weds. Apparently when he got sacked from Preston the fans weren't happy which is always a good sign!

Dashing Bob S
12-11-2011, 02:29 AM
O'Neil is the man. Let's not pick any more stodgy losers, get a guy whose star is on the rise, rather than the usual assortment of clapped-out underachievers we're constantly linked with.

Melvin Hibs
12-11-2011, 09:33 AM
O'Neil is the man. Let's not pick any more stodgy losers, get a guy whose star is on the rise, rather than the usual assortment of clapped-out underachievers we're constantly linked with.

Agree with this 100%. All the talk about Jefferies and Tango man mistifies me. We all want whats best for Hibs and surely that has got to be O'Neill. He has done very good things at Rovers and given some of the manager appointments we have had over the last few years it does not surprise me in the least where we are now. The manager appointments we have had only struck me as being hopeful, never as this is the one and can honestly say that none of them excited me in the least. O'Neill does buck that trend for me and if he is given the nod :pray: I think he will get us back where we belong.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm starting to become a little unsure about MO'N. Have a look at Stephen Kenny, he's done really well in Ireland- winning the league and going on European adventures but really struggled and got sacked at Dunfermline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_(footballer)

:hmmm:

CallumLaidlaw
12-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm starting to become a little unsure about MO'N. Have a look at Stephen Kenny, he's done really well in Ireland- winning the league and going on European adventures but really struggled and got sacked ad Dunfermline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_%28footballer%29

I have pars fans that wanted him to get more time tho. He made some good signings. The problem with Scottish football is we expect instant results.

Eyrie
12-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Fair point, but there is also a time as we saw with Calderwood when a quick decision is needed.

Personally I'd like to see O'Neill (or whoever) be guaranteed eighteen months (ie Easter 2013) before the Board even review his performance, which would give him plenty of time to sort out the current squad, establish his own system and bring in his own players. Even if we remain near the foot of the SPL this season then we can blame the unworkable legacy of his predecessor and I'd expect an upturn in fortunes far sooner than that.

Cropley10
12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm starting to become a little unsure about MO'N. Have a look at Stephen Kenny, he's done really well in Ireland- winning the league and going on European adventures but really struggled and got sacked at Dunfermline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_(footballer)

:agree: Sunk without trace.

MON wouldn't even be quoted if he'd played for Hearts. He's done well in a pub league. Now all this noise about him being our Boss.

bingo70
12-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm starting to become a little unsure about MO'N. Have a look at Stephen Kenny, he's done really well in Ireland- winning the league and going on European adventures but really struggled and got sacked at Dunfermline.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Kenny_(footballer):hmmm:Calderwood came from England and failed, does that mean we shouldn't employ anyone from England? Likewise with yogi coming from Scotland, that mean we shouldn't go for a Scottish manager?

smurf
12-11-2011, 10:20 AM
:agree: Sunk without trace.

MON wouldn't even be quoted if he'd played for Hearts. He's done well in a pub league. Now all this noise about him being our Boss.

Agreed. I don't at all get this re MON.

Spike Mandela
12-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I think we should be less concerned with who the new manager is and more concerned with the bunch of duds the poor sod has to work with.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Calderwood came from England and failed, does that mean we shouldn't employ anyone from England? Likewise with yogi coming from Scotland, that mean we shouldn't go for a Scottish manager?

No, we know quite a lot about the standard in England and Scotland and we know that there are many managers who would be capable of doing well in one job but not another. With Ireland not many, if any of us, know what the standard is like. The few examples like Stephen Kenny who have managed in both leagues will give us an idea of how good a manager needs to be to achieve success in these leagues. It's not a definitive comparison, they will obviously be completely different managers. All I'm saying is that being a success in Ireland may be easier than in Scotland, as it seems in Stephen Kenny's experience.

bingo70
12-11-2011, 10:43 AM
No, we know quite a lot about the standard in England and Scotland and we know that there are many managers who would be capable of doing well in one job but not another. With Ireland not many, if any of us, know what the standard is like. The few examples like Stephen Kenny who have managed in both leagues will give us an idea of how good a manager needs to be to achieve success in these leagues. It's not a definitive comparison, they will obviously be completely different managers. All I'm saying is that being a success in Ireland may be easier than in Scotland, as it seems in Stephen Kenny's experience.Yeah, I know what you mean, I just think there's no exact science to it, he can only be successful in the country he's coming from and he's done well wherever he's been so there's no reason to think he wouldn't be a success here, compare that to some of the experienced candidates being mentioned that have a history of failure.I also like the fact he's educated outside football.

BT58
12-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I see that Jackie macnamara jr is being touted by John Hartson in todays sun
Hartson himself denies he has applied for job at hibs
At least J Mac would have a fan in his dad,, who could give him a good insight to the players at ER at the moment
Him and BB ????
Bt

CallumLaidlaw
12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
No, we know quite a lot about the standard in England and Scotland and we know that there are many managers who would be capable of doing well in one job but not another. With Ireland not many, if any of us, know what the standard is like. The few examples like Stephen Kenny who have managed in both leagues will give us an idea of how good a manager needs to be to achieve success in these leagues. It's not a definitive comparison, they will obviously be completely different managers. All I'm saying is that being a success in Ireland may be easier than in Scotland, as it seems in Stephen Kenny's experience.

The other difference with Kenny and O'Neil is Kenny had spent his whole Career in Ireland. o'Neil playing career covered Scotland, England, USA & Ireland as well as playing at international level for Northern Ireland, and cut his teeth in Scotland as manager of Brechin.
I wasn't too keen on an "ex-player" when he was linked when CC got the job, but to me, what he's done in Europe shows he knows what he's doing.