PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers fans take on Michael O Neill....

Hibernia Na Eir
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
fair slating the Hibees!

http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS (http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS).

Judas Iscariot
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
You'd think he was managing an EPL team with they way some of them are talking :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
09-11-2011, 02:24 PM
fair slating the Hibees!

http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS (http://srfcultrasforum.eu/forum/showthread.php?3156-O-Neill-I-m-happy-at-ROVERS).

"Calderwood was on close to 300,000k" :shocked: Kind of sweeties does he actually eat that he needed a £300m salary?

Makaveli
09-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Interesting how many of them are familiar with Petrie and our perceived boardroom troubles. I know next to nothing about any other chairmen aside from Vlad and the mega-rich English sides.

Prawn Sandwich
09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Interesting to see some comments about Hibs being poison challis, Petrie on his last chance and Hibs being a stepping stone to England? If I was Shamrock Rovers fan I would be p****d off at the manager was being linked to another job after winning the league two years in a row. But then again I support Hibs. Come on Michael.....move to Hibs! You know it's the right thing to do.

Jack
09-11-2011, 02:32 PM
3 users and over 150 guests. I wonder why that is B-)

green glory
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Interesting to see some comments about Hibs being poison challis, Petrie on his last chance and Hibs being a stepping stone to England? If I was Shamrock Rovers fan I would be p****d off at the manager was being linked to another job after winning the league two years in a row. But then again I support Hibs. Come on Michael.....move to Hibs! You know it's the right thing to do.

Someone on here was saying his mate saw MON at Edinburgh Airport yesterday. Any other fictional but entertaining sightings of prospective Hibs managers?

givescotlandfreedom
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM
"Calderwood was on close to 300,000k" :shocked: Kind of sweeties does he actually eat that he needed a £300m salary?

Franck Stanton
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
fair slating the Hibees!

Cannae really argue wi' any o' the critisisms being made about us though, now can we ?

Cabbage East
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Cannae really argue wi' any o' the critisisms being made about us though, now can we ?

Actually, I think you probably can, quite easily.

Franck Stanton
09-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Actually, I think you probably can, quite easily.

Really ? Which ones ?

Cabbage East
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Really ? Which ones ?

The claim that English league one would be a better option for him, for starters.

Also..."standard of fitba in the SPL outside the gruesome twosome is no better than the LOI"

I'll do the jokes.

Franck Stanton
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
The claim that English league one would be a better option for him, for starters.

Dont see how that statement is a direct critisism of us but as for standard of football currently being played in SPl - is it really that much better than Eng league one? IMO the poster claiming this was making the point bthat O'Neil would be more in the spotlight of Championship/EPL teams looking for future managers.

J-C
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Someone on here was saying his mate saw MON at Edinburgh Airport yesterday. Any other fictional but entertaining sightings of prospective Hibs managers?

He still owns a house here remember, plus some business interests I'd presume, hopefully though he's here to see the board and put pen to paper. I'd expect him here after the group stages of Europa league, he did say he wanted to see out that part with Rover before he made any decisions re his contract with them.

J-C
09-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Also..."standard of fitba in the SPL outside the gruesome twosome is no better than the LOI"

I'll do the jokes.

How many of the Europa starters have gotten to the group stages, apart from Celtic with a hand from their opponents playing non eligible players. I'd say the top 2-3 teams in Ireland would do reasonably well in the SPL.

Joe
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
They say that Shamrock Rovers, gates of about 3,000 when they win the league are a bigger club than Hibs, gates of 8,000 when batteling relegation. Makes sence to me :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Irish Football is rubbish. End Of :agree:

Beefster
09-11-2011, 04:08 PM

I saw Stuart Baxter in Greggs in Tranent this morning having a whispered conversation with Sir Tom and Fifi Hymen whilst Rodders got in the steak-bakes.

Musselbound
09-11-2011, 04:49 PM

I'll do the jokes.

If we were sitting here with Hibs knocking out Partizan Belgrade from Europe and giving teams like Juve and Spurs a run for their money then we'd be creaming our pants. I think this claim is spot on. The SPL might have been significantly better than the League of Ireland as recently as 10 years ago but it isn't now. Our other clubs get nowhere near the Europa League stages most of the time and are being humbled by nobodies. I'm amazed people are still in denial about this - and by the law of averages some of them must be people who spend plenty of time slagging off our league.

Wilson
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM

I saw Bobby Williamson in Uganda - that is encouraging.

Musselbound
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
They say that Shamrock Rovers, gates of about 3,000 when they win the league are a bigger club than Hibs, gates of 8,000 when batteling relegation. Makes sence to me :rolleyes:

Undoubtedly Scotland has bigger clubs - even now Hibs are way bigger than Shamrock in terms of attendances - but I'm talking about the standard of the football.

Hibbyradge
09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
There are loads of smaller countries that Scotland with a better standard of football.

Slovenia, for example, has less than half our population but Maribor recently humiliated Hibs and Rangers.

If we continue to arrogantly assume we're better than smaller countries, like Ireland, we'll keep getting embarrassed by their teams.

pogo
09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
If we were sitting here with Hibs knocking out Partizan Belgrade from Europe and giving teams like Juve and Spurs a run for their money then we'd be creaming our pants. I think this claim is spot on. The SPL might have been significantly better than the League of Ireland as recently as 10 years ago but it isn't now. Our other clubs get nowhere near the Europa League stages most of the time and are being humbled by nobodies. I'm amazed people are still in denial about this - and by the law of averages some of them must be people who spend plenty of time slagging off our league.

I wonder though how much of a difference playing Summer football makes to the equation? LOI is finishing up now, with all the European qualifying matches having been played after the mid way point of their season. In Scotland however, as we know, some of the first matches played in our season are qualifiers. Lack of match fitness/sharpness has to play some part.
Would be interesting to have some LOI vs SPL matches at about this time of the respective seasons.
:hmmm:

greenlex
09-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I saw Stuart Baxter in Greggs in Tranent this morning having a whispered conversation with Sir Tom and Fifi Hymen whilst Rodders got in the steak-bakes. Ya Bugger I was believing you till you said Rodders was getting in the Steak Bakes.

frazeHFC
09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
On the SPL and LOI debate, the SPL is bigger and we are a bigger club, but football wise we are getting worse while they are getting better.

libernian
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
the odds thing that is on their forum is interesting...

neil lennon 67/1

martin o'neil 101/1

paul hartley 15/1

think those are missing a couple of zeros!!! though i would fancy martin o'neil :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
the odds thing that is on their forum is interesting...

neil lennon 67/1

martin o'neil 101/1

paul hartley 15/1

think those are missing a couple of zeros!!! though i would fancy martin o'neil :thumbsup:

Wouldn't take him under any circumstances. He's made an erse of Celtic to the extent that a crippled Huns outfit have established an effortless ascendency over them. On any other side outside the OF budget, he'd lead them straight into div one.

libernian
09-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't take him under any circumstances. He's made an erse of Celtic to the extent that a crippled Huns outfit have established an effortless ascendency over them. On any other side outside the OF budget, he'd lead them straight into div one.

lol yeah just thought it was funny that he was linked with us. would make hearts games more interesting anyway.

just finished reading through the shamrock forum. tbf that hibs does kind of slag them off and is then like "but im not starting any arguments" lol.

what is michael oneils financial services company anyway?

Big_Franck
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM

The LOI is very poor standard from what I've seen, which admittedly isn't that much. However, I notice that Craig Sives and Jim Paterson are regulars for Shamrock the irish champions 2 years running. I seriously doubt that either of them would get a game for anyone in the SPL. Likewise Gary Twigg.

The commentators during the tottenham game stated that their annual squad budget was 600,000 Euros, which equates to 11,000 Euros per week. I'd say that's Scottish Division 1 level. And you do tend to get what you pay for.

Saying that, the SPL is pish. The teams outside the old firm aren't head and shoulders above the Irish teams, but they are better.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
They do seem to have an over inflated opinion of themselves, but then again so do we. I can honestly say I have never watched a match from there league, in fact it must be one of the only football leagues that would make me think about cancelling sky sports.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
for a part time to beat P Belgrade is quite a big deal. Could we have done that?

O'Rourke3
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Whether their league is better or not than ours, clearly history says a step to Scotland is a step up. Players like Towell, Stokes, Salmon etc are easily good enough for the LOI but moved to Scotland to raise their exposure and increase their income. When we had Mowbray we were also wary about bigger clubs coming in a nicking the manager. WBA were simply richer and in a league that made reputations. I've no truck with Shamrock supporters but it's going to take decades to turn that history round so regardless of their current respective reputations and abilities, Hibs, Hearts, Dunfermline Athletic and St Mirren and the rest are all a step up for any of their managers because the league here comes with a proven track record.

The fact that we've p*ssed that up against a wall for the last 20 years is the thing we should be addressing at all levels of the game, but that's a different thread.

erin go bragh
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Never seen a league of irleland team in any europeon final , have you ?
Spl is poor but still a step above them .

ggtth

calumb
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I was impressed with there knowledge of Hibs and paticuarly what petrie like. Until the happy hibee turned up most of them seemed to think the spl was a step up for a LOI manager but that maybe Hibs, because of the clubs problems, was not the best place for MON to go too which i think is a fair comment.

NGH
09-11-2011, 08:51 PM

I saw the ghost of Willie Ormond pulling a pint in the Hayweights bar in Musselburgh. Does that count?

AlbertK86
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
The interesting bit for me was a rake of their players are out of contract next month as well. Some of them must be reasonable to have got them to where they are in Europa.

Sounds like they all play through the barrier for him. Maybe he'll bring 2 or 3 of them with him and hopefully their attitude might rub off on the lazy barstewards we have the now

IWasThere2016
09-11-2011, 11:32 PM

:agree:

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Football wise, there is now little to choose between the SPL and LOI. In fact, I'd say there were more skillful, young players in the LOI.

Club wise, both Hibs and Shamrock Rovers are actually in quite a similar situation. We are both stuck in small, peripheral European Leagues where clubs can't grow to the 'natural' size of city that clubs in bigger leagues can. Within those crappy leagues we're in, we both have constraints. Hibs have the sectarian/glory hunting problem with fans all over the East of Scotland 'following' (albeit mainly by TV) the OF, while Shamrock have the same issue with 'pround Irishmen' creaming themselves (again mostly be TV) over the football clubs of the much-hated English oppressors.

But the bottom line is always money, and Hibs are currently a far bigger club than Rovers, simply because it's inconceivable that if the roles were reversed, then Shamrock would be able to lure such a successful manager from Hibs to the LOI.

Hibernia Na Eir
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Football wise, there is now little to choose between the SPL and LOI. In fact, I'd say there were more skillful, young players in the LOI. Club wise, both Hibs and Shamrock Rovers are actually in quite a similar situation. We are both stuck in small, peripheral European Leagues where clubs can't grow to the 'natural' size of city that clubs in bigger leagues can. Within those crappy leagues we're in, we both have constraints. Hibs have the sectarian/glory hunting problem with fans all over the East of Scotland 'following' (albeit mainly by TV) the OF, while Shamrock have the same issue with 'pround Irishmen' creaming themselves (again mostly be TV) over the football clubs of the much-hated English oppressors. But the bottom line is always money, and Hibs are currently a far bigger club than Rovers, simply because it's inconceivable that if the roles were reversed, then Shamrock would be able to lure such a successful manager from Hibs to the LOI. I think you'll find the reason Shamrock and the other bigger LOI clubs don't get big crowds is nothing to do with the natives choosing English football. the fact is, soccer is way down the sports pecking order in Eire. it makes the situation more galling in that an Irish (part-time) club can defeat one of the Slavic regions top teams, whilst clubs like ours can only look on and admire....

ScottB
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I think you'll find the reason Shamrock and the other bigger LOI clubs don't get big crowds is nothing to do with the natives choosing English football. the fact is, soccer is way down the sports pecking order in Eire. it makes the situation more galling in that an Irish (part-time) club can defeat one of the Slavic regions top teams, whilst clubs like ours can only look on and admire....

But in the battle of one offs, Aberdeen got past Christmas and drew with Bayern Munich.

Ultimately, once in a blue moon, a club from these sort of leagues (ignoring the Old Firm) are going to have a decent run in Europe, by fluke or by design. I wouldn't take them into account as a factor for which is the better league unless it was happening a lot. Compare Ireland or Scotland to how the Norwegians, Danes, Portuguese, Dutch etc clubs get on in Europe and we are not even worth considering. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Czech, Croatian etc teams are doing better than our sides in Europe.

JimBHibees
10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I think you'll find the reason Shamrock and the other bigger LOI clubs don't get big crowds is nothing to do with the natives choosing English football. the fact is, soccer is way down the sports pecking order in Eire. it makes the situation more galling in that an Irish (part-time) club can defeat one of the Slavic regions top teams, whilst clubs like ours can only look on and admire....

I dont want tio understimate their achievement as it is obviously a massive one however they also do have the significant advantage of playing during the summer which really should be taken into account especially comparing against teams in Scotland for example.

edinburghhibee
10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
REMOVED BY ADMIN

What a silly comment to make. school must be finished.

Wilson
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Whether their league is better or not than ours, clearly history says a step to Scotland is a step up. Players like Towell, Stokes, Salmon etc are easily good enough for the LOI but moved to Scotland to raise their exposure and increase their income. When we had Mowbray we were also wary about bigger clubs coming in a nicking the manager. WBA were simply richer and in a league that made reputations. I've no truck with Shamrock supporters but it's going to take decades to turn that history round so regardless of their current respective reputations and abilities, Hibs, Hearts, Dunfermline Athletic and St Mirren and the rest are all a step up for any of their managers because the league here comes with a proven track record.

The fact that we've p*ssed that up against a wall for the last 20 years is the thing we should be addressing at all levels of the game, but that's a different thread.

:top marks

Ich liebe Deek
10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Having seen a good few LOI games over the last few seasons I'd say the standard in both leagues is extremely poor.Rovers won a league riddled with clubs on the brink of extinction(Rovers play in a council leased stadium) after cherry-picking the best players from the league.Sligo Rovers and themselves are the only decents clubs in the league(Sligo a better team to watch btw).Their heroics in Europe equates to one good away win against Partizan whose European record of late is honking.I've no doubt summer football would have our European entrants pulling off similar shocks before an inevitable pumping from a half-decent side.Hibs will always be a bigger club than Shamrock Rovers but at the moment the proof of that is only the fact we draw 4 times as many fans when were bottom of the league as they do while top.On the field the difference is marginal.Sad really.

They play in rip-off cellic strips so ***** em

Hibbyradge
11-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Why do their fans object to people calling their team "Shamrock"?