PDA

View Full Version : Truce?

Jim44
09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Good on the guys who took a stand and have vented their feelings in print and through last night's protest but is it productive or counter-productive to keep it going ad infinitum? Calderwood is gone, Petrie appears to have 'taken a cheap seat nearer the back' and Farmer has publicly declared support for Petrie and the board and an unwillingness to sell out to anyone who does not have Hibs' best interests at heart. Nothing else is going to change there now. To persist with protesting and perpetuating negative vibes can only lead to ill-feeling and division within the support at a time when we should be gathering ranks and getting behind those who will make the decisions. Call it 'anything for a quiet life' if that's how you see it but I personally hope that for the good of the club, everyone can begin to pull together and enable us to progress away from the 'black hole' we have been in for far too long.

john18722
09-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Good on the guys who took a stand and have vented their feelings in print and through last night's protest but is it productive or counter-productive to keep it going ad infinitum? Calderwood is gone, Petrie appears to have 'taken a cheap seat nearer the back' and Farmer has publicly declared support for Petrie and the board and an unwillingness to sell out to anyone who does not have Hibs' best interests at heart. Nothing else is going to change there now. To persist with protesting and perpetuating negative vibes can only lead to ill-feeling and division within the support at a time when we should be gathering ranks and getting behind those who will make the decisions. Call it 'anything for a quiet life' if that's how you see it but I personally hope that for the good of the club, everyone can begin to pull together and enable us to progress away from the 'black hole' we have been in for far too long.

Totally agree :agree:

southern hibby
09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
One of the best, thought out and totally correct post on here for a long time. GGTTH

Hibby Mike
09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Here, here! Well said old chap!

:notworthy:

Mary Hinge
09-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Exactly :aok:

Pretty Boy
09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

A lot of common sense here.

The team are really going to need the fans the next few weeks. Last year we were spared a real relegation scrap due to Hamilton being a lot worse than every other team. This year all the teams are capable of beating each other so we could potentially be involved in a real fight.we as fans have a part to play.

This isn't blind loyalty, just a realisation that the new manager will need the backing of the fans every bit as much as he needs the backing of the board.

Top Pans Hibby
09-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Petrie & Farmer would like nothing better. Now is not the time to take the pressure off the board and our "owner". We must keep pressing them on their long term plans for OUR club. The reports from the AGM seem to suggest more of the same with Farmer giving Petrie his unreserved support. I fear for OUR club with that attitude.

Lucius Apuleius
09-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Petrie & Farmer would like nothing better. Now is not the time to take the pressure off the board and our "owner". We must keep pressing them on their long term plans for OUR club. The reports from the AGM seem to suggest more of the same with Farmer giving Petrie his unreserved support. I fear for OUR club with that attitude.

Aye, that sounds good. Lets get a new manager and start screaming at the players how sheicht they are as usual. Really up the old morale. Wonderful thoughts.

lyonhibs
09-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Aye, that sounds good. Lets get a new manager and start screaming at the players how sheicht they are as usual. Really up the old morale. Wonderful thoughts.

Thing is, if the players (or certain thereof) are playing to consistently unacceptable standards, do fans just keep on clapping? There's only so many times one can go "Unlucky XXXXX, chin up" or similar.

And the "the players are really going to need the fans over there next few weeks" mantra sounds depressingly familiar. What is going to be done to break this cycle of mediocrity that we've had more or less constantly since 2007??

God knows, we've changed manager often enough - maybe something else, somewhere else in the organisation needs to change??

Just playing devil's advocate, but to say that the status quo in the boardroom should be maintained beyond question is wide of the mark IMO.

Cropley10
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Let's wait and see how BB does. (btw if the Board DID appoint BB then that's no bad thing).

Let's see who comes in. And let's see who he brings with him too.

Let's get behind the team.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Why is it of late that when people talk about Hibs or our club they feel the need to put our in capitals?

HibsMax
09-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Agreed.

The fans wanted change and they got it. Calderwood is gone. I hope that means that many of the stay away fans will now come back to help support the team. I know there are fans who want still more change but that is not going to happen as far as I can tell so it's pointless hurting the team. Let's see what this new change brings us before judging too harshly. If we bring in another manager who fails to show progress, inspire the fans and make some positive impact then we should revisit the "what next?" question.

Hibs Class
09-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Why is it of late that when people talk about Hibs or our club they feel the need to put our in capitals? UBER FANS ken whit's goin oan.

iwasthere1972
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM

Totally agree. Can't see what purpose any protests have now that we all know to some degree where we stand. None of us have a crystal ball and that includes Farmer, Petrie and everyone else who is associated with the club. Fingers crossed that whoever makes the managerial appointment gets it right and we start to improve both on and off the pitch. The players have got to start pulling their weight as they are every bit as much to blame (and probably more) for our recent failures as the guys who have vacated the hotseat.

Onwards and upwards.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

iwasthere1972
09-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Why is it of late that when people talk about Hibs or our club they feel the need to put our in capitals?

:singing: WE TYPE IN CAPITALS you type in lower case
WE TYPE IN CAPITALS you type in lower case :singing:

Sir David Gray
09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I said months ago that if Calderwood ended up being another management failure then we needed changes at boardroom level. My thoughts have not changed.

I accept what Farmer said last night about Petrie, that is his opinion which is more than entitled to hold.

However, that doesn't mean to say that he is right.

I have very real concerns that nothing serious is going to change at the club any time soon, purely with the dismissal of Colin Calderwood. He had to go, there is no question of that, but as far as I'm concerned, there are further changes required within the club to make Hibernian a success on the pitch.

Whoever comes in to replace Calderwood will receive my support and must be given time to sort things out but we, as supporters, have been enduring utter garbage on the pitch for close to two years now and people are just sick of it. If things don't improve soon then you can't expect people to continue to support the current structure at the club and the personnel at the top of the tree.

There's not many chairmen, chief executives or other board members, of companies in any sector, who would survive with their jobs still intact after consistently making poor managerial appointments in the space of about three or four years.

Hibs should be no different in that respect. People were always prepared to back Petrie due to the fact that we were on a pretty solid financial footing and attractive looking accounts but that was back in the day that we actually had players who were good enough to attract decent transfer fees. Now that we basically have no-one left who is worth selling for any serious amount of money, we are making losses of nearly £1 million.

If, as it is looking to be the case, that the board survives this latest episode largely unscathed then I think it really must be a case of last chance saloon for them and we have to see some tangible improvements on the park, where it really matters, or their positions will simply become untenable.

Lucius Apuleius
09-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Thing is, if the players (or certain thereof) are playing to consistently unacceptable standards, do fans just keep on clapping? There's only so many times one can go "Unlucky XXXXX, chin up" or similar.

And the "the players are really going to need the fans over there next few weeks" mantra sounds depressingly familiar. What is going to be done to break this cycle of mediocrity that we've had more or less constantly since 2007??

God knows, we've changed manager often enough - maybe something else, somewhere else in the organisation needs to change??

Just playing devil's advocate, but to say that the status quo in the boardroom should be maintained beyond question is wide of the mark IMO.

Personally I don't think it is a case of clapping or not. It is a case of abusing. That's what it is, abuse. I personally see no need for it. I know I am only 55 years old but I can honestly say I have never booed a Hibs player in my life. I really do not see the point at all. I don't know what the solution is to Hib's problems, I have never run a football team but I can tell you something, if the reported figure of 75k for RP's salary to do it is correct , neither shall I ever attempt to do so.
I have many thoughts on the subjects and all have been said before. We built the stand, STs were guaranteed to fall as nobody has to have one to see Hibs anymore (never did before either right enough). Unfortunately this has happened at the same time as we are playing sheicht so people who would have bought a ST a couple of years ago but decided this season to pick their games, are picking less than we would like to see. Cannot blame them at all. However, I still do not for one nanosecond believe that players go out to play badly. This is not a bad bunch of players we have. Something was wrong when they crossed that touchline to go and start playing. Were they working to CC's orders? I doubt if his orders were not to make a 5 yard pass. I feel less booing and a bit of support we will start climbing.
STF and RP out? RP has said he is standing back and letting the others get on with it. Lets see if it works. No reason to disbelieve him ergo the status quo is not being maintained. Still think we will rise rapidly.

GGTTH

joebakerforever
09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
As it has been reported that the Chairman (i.e. Petrie) is no "was no longer receiving a salary from the club", I take this as personal recognition that his recent performance does not merit payment.

As the norm for senior executives in loss making enterprises is to continue paying themselves fat salaries & perks, it would be churlish not to acknowledge Rod's decision on this issue.

Now that this has come to light, time to give RP some slack.

Captain Trips
09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
As it has been reported that the Chairman (i.e. Petrie) is no "was no longer receiving a salary from the club", I take this as personal recognition that his recent performance does not merit payment.

As the norm for senior executives in loss making enterprises is to continue paying themselves fat salaries & perks, it would be churlish not to acknowledge Rod's decision on this issue.

Now that this has come to light, time to give RP some slack.

So it doesnt merit payment but he does merit to still be there then?

Jack
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Why is it of late that when people talk about Hibs or our club they feel the need to put our in capitals? Guilty as charged m'lud :-P The only consistent contributers to OUR club has been OUR supporters and that will continue into the future. Its OUR club, current and past owners and directors, like their predecessors, come and go.

BEEJ
09-11-2011, 06:51 PM
If, as it is looking to be the case, that the board survives this latest episode largely unscathed then I think it really must be a case of last chance saloon for them and we have to see some tangible improvements on the park, where it really matters, or their positions will simply become untenable.
Won't happen.

We're in a continual cycle of:

failure ... blame the Manager ...new management appointment ...... failure ... blame the Manager ...new management appointment .... failure ...

Meanwhile our Board appear to remain immune to criticism. We'll give them another shot at it... and another .... and another...