PDA

View Full Version : Who do we want as the new manager?

chriswood1401
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Fairly straightforward, I think we all agree that the club needs to unite behind the new manager. The situation will never get any better if we bring in someone who divides the fans from the start.

So who do we want?

sundo1875
08-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Michael o'neil for sure

SkintHibby
08-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't think Michael O'Neill is the right man AT THIS TIME for Hibs. We need a strong experienced person.

We (sorry Rod Petrie) always make the same mistake of going for the popular choice instead of the right choice.:agree:

hibee1994
08-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone for Russell Latapy? Don't know why but seems like he might do a job. Be a punt in the dark though.

SJNB Hibby
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Colin Todd's applying for the Berwick Rangers job?? Wierd And Dave Smith
No bad quality of candidates for a nowheres job

Beefster
08-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Folk are going to have to learn how to spell Jim Jefferies surname before they make the 'Jefferies Out' placards this time next year.

chriswood1401
08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't think Michael O'Neill is the right man AT THIS TIME for Hibs. We need a strong experienced person.

We (sorry Rod Petrie) always make the same mistake of going for the popular choice instead of the right choice.:agree:

Obviously we need to make sure that we don't hire someone for the wrong reasons but I think now, more than ever, it's incredibly important that we find a manager who unites the fans. O'Neill for me seems the most likely candidate to do that.

In addition, I know that the SPL is untried territory but let's face it, the guy still has 5 years managerial experience both at a domestic and European level (limited, I admit).

Looking at the names mentioned, he seems to be the one stand out candidate and I say we give him a shot and get right behind him.

iwasthere1972
08-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Billy Davies.

hibeenicol
08-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Billy Davies.

edwards
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't say Tony Mowbray was a popular choice the word who comes to mind or Colin Calderwood as we all thought it was going to be someone else.

iwasthere1972
08-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't say Tony Mowbray was a popular choice the word who comes to mind or Colin Calderwood as we all thought it was going to be someone else.

Honestly it's too late for me. :confused:

Riordans Boots
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
John Collins

edwards
08-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Billy Davies isn't on the list, would he be interested I am unsure, I gave my vote to O'Neill as I feel Strachan wouldn't be interested but there will be a few mangers who might.
Jim Jeffries I think his best years have passed him buy he was at his peak when he won the scottish wi the yams. Jimmy Calderwood is all washed up now and McGhee done well at Motherwell but not at Aberdeen.
I don't think Petrie will go for Butcher as Inverness have just extended his contract ? but I feel Butcher is a capable manager as he done well with Motherwell and Inverness and butcher makes sense and tells you how it is and would probably sort out our defence.
The reason I go for O'Neill is he won their championship the last two years and took them into europe twice. I feel he is ready to take that step up and prove himself as a manger in the spl.
We can all make sly digs at the irish league but the truth is they could probably compete with the rest of the spl outside the old firm.

Franck is God
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Strachan ticks the most boxes for me.

Experience in the English and Scottish game both playing and managing with a good level of success with all apart from Middlesborough.

He has no previous playing connection with the club.

Fitness and organisation are high on his list of priorities for the team.

Definitely couldn't be considered the cheap option.

He is currently not working, living in Edinburgh and is a Hibs fan.

smurf
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Billy Davies.

Billy Davies.

Captain Trips
09-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Experience in the English and Scottish game both playing and managing with a good level of success with all apart from Middlesborough.

He is whom I would go for and if appointed you could believe the board in saying looking for a leader as I do think he would take any ****, however if we took on M Oneill I have a fear we are just going down the wrong route again.

Cropley10
09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Nebio Scala (anyone but JJ or CL actually).

H18sry
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Strachan is a cheque book manager, every club he has been at he has bought player's, that is no good at Hibs. :agree:

PaulSmith
09-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Michael O'neill, BB to remain as asst with Alex Miller head of the academy coaching with remit to support manager.

I'd also keep James McDonaugh but the rest can go as far as I'm concerned

Franck Stanton
09-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Everyons entitled to their own opinions, but some are so outlandish it beggars belief. Some on this [and other] threads name Michael O'Neil as the best candidate for our manager, others are quoted as stating he is innexperienced, an ex-player, not ready for us, as reasons for not appointing him. Then in the next breath Russell Latapy is being thrown into the mix. Now I thought Russel was a truly fantastic player for us, true genious, but just what does anyone think could he offer as a manager ? He most certainly doesn't have any managerial experience to talk of, again the ex-player arguement comes into play, and as for his off-field antics. need I say any more. Strachan is quoted as a possible, yes to experience, high profile,proven manager, but... and it's a big but, he is most definately a "cheque-book" manager buying success. We as a club don't have the type of budget Strachan would demand. Given all these factors, O'Neil, IMO is head and shoulders above any candidate, [that we currently know of], having worked wonders on a smaller budget in Irish football. Just as importantly at this time, most supporters are quoting him as their choice. Now I know other, recent appointments were also fans favourites at the time of their appointments , [ Yogi, Mixu, Sauzee], but in O'Neil we have a manager with 5 years experience, and is relatively successful and is seen by many outwith ourselves as an up-and-coming manager, [even touted as the next Ireland manager in some circles], and I genuinly believe we will live to regret it if we let him slip through our fingers.

Russian Hibs Fan
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
may be Martin O`Neill? :greengrin

weecounty hibby
09-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Surely this poll is wrong! I heard Jumbo on the radio this morning saying that he was flattered that 50% of Hibs fans would be happy to see him at ER

iwasthere1972
09-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Surely this poll is wrong! I heard Jumbo on the radio this morning saying that he was flattered that 50% of Hibs fans would be happy to see him at ER

Serious? I mean is that what he said on the radio?

Franck is God
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Strachan is a cheque book manager, every club he has been at he has bought player's, that is no good at Hibs. :agree:

Thats not really true.

The previous jobs he has held at Coventry & Southampton he was merely operating in the league he was in and could never have been considered a cheque book manager.

When he took over at Sellick he had to replace O'Neils aging squad with a fraction of the budget yet still took them beyond the group stages of the Champions league twice and won the league three times in four seasons.

Even when he went to Middlesborough he only spent the money received for Johnson and most of his signings still play for them every week over a year later.

Billy Whizz
10-11-2011, 01:04 PM

A strong experienced person. You obviously don't remember him as a player then!

scottp1875
10-11-2011, 02:23 PM

my thoughts exactly

Captain Trips
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Where does CC fit into this then?

Hibbyradge
10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Where does CC fit into this then?

Or Mowbray. Or Williamson. Or McLeish.

Captain Trips
10-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Or Mowbray. Or Williamson. Or McLeish.

Indeed, RP picks who he thinks right not what it says on here or anywhere else.

bighairyfaeleith
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
to be sure it's your man o'neil for me

greenlex
10-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I have thought long and hard about this taking into account where we are. What we need and someone who has contact to young up and coming players from all over. I have voted other.

I think Hibs should pull out all the stops and break the bank for Stuart Pearce. I am being serious. They should be pressganging him up the road to East Mains and Easter Road and not take no for an answer.

Failing that Billy Stark should be second on the list.

Dashing Bob S
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I voted O'Neill, in spite of his Hibs credentials. (I'm being serious here, it seems to a major drawback and ex-players rarely seem to do it for us in the modern age.)

Getting a club like Shamrock Rovers to the group stages of the Europa Cup in two seasons is a momentous achievement, (Pat Fenlon spent ten seasons and bankrupted two clubs trying to attain that dream), and the fact he guided Rovers to back-to-back championship flags shows that he has the goods and it's no fluke.

The ex-Hibs thing concerns me, but I'm heartened by the fact that while MON obviously has great affection for the club, it's nowhere near as incandescent as the evident Hibs fervour of either Collins, Mixu and Yogi, which I think produced a desperation for success that blinded them to the bigger picture.

He seems a measured, smart guy, who knows how to get the best out of players and bring through youngsters.

Northernhibee
10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Mickey Mellon - Scottish born, and doing great things with Fleetwood Town down south.

PatHead
11-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Paul Sturrock please

heretoday
11-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Personally I wouldn't go for an ex-Hib. We can't keep slaughtering our heroes.

macd123
11-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Billy Davies if he'd come here

StokePogesHibs
11-11-2011, 03:23 AM
to be sure it's your man o'neil for me

John Collins

norwayhibs
11-11-2011, 05:11 AM
The latest from Norway is that Henning Berg is one of the hot favourites

http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article214684.ece

Basically he would love to try management in the uk, mentions our fantastic training facilities and stadion etc etc.

Personally I hope he goes nowhere near ER, his last stint at managing Lillestrøm over here ended after the team managed 1 point in 9 games and the football was horrendous.