PDA

View Full Version : What structure do we need to take Hibs forward?

RIP
08-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Rather than constantly analysing the respective roles of Messrs Petrie, Lyndsay, Hyland and Co - should we be looking to our SPL rivals for their Business Operating Model

St Johnstone
Owner/Chairman and son run a successful family business. St Johnstone supporters. No Board or other directors
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15574112.stm

Dundee United
Owner/Chairman (Deceased) and son ran a successful family business. Dundee United supporters. Small board / other family members as directors
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/mar/16/sport.comment3

St Mirren
Majority Shareholder/Chairman a successful businessman. Fitba supporter. Now converting club to community ownership model under new director who is himself a successful businessman
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/spl/st-mirren/meticulous-planning-for-a-brighter-future-case-study-st-mirren-1.1105687

Anyone else care to research Killie, Dons, Well?

What business success outwith Hibs can Petrie, Hyland and Lyndsay point to. Is a big board the right way to run Hibs? Would Community Ownership work at our club?

greenlex
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Are those clubs in any better shape than Hibs?

Barney McGrew
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
St Johnstone No Board or other directors

They do have a board, with four directors currently on it

Dundee United Small board / other family members as directors

Their board has six members, one less than Hibs so it's hardly small in comparison. It should also be noted that they are under extreme financial constraints since Eddie Thomson passed away and the cash injections he was making dried up.

St Mirren Majority Shareholder/Chairman a successful businessman. Fitba supporter. Now converting club to community ownership model under new director who is himself a successful businessman

The parallels with Hibs are pretty big. Both owned by successful local businessmen who took over when they were saddled with huge debts, and sold off the 'family jewels' to get back on an even keel (us players/land, St Mirren their ground). I'm sure some would argue they did that through good business management, while our directors were just lucky :wink:

What business success outwith Hibs can Petrie, Hyland and Lyndsay point to. Is a big board the right way to run Hibs? Would Community Ownership work at our club?

IMO it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how successful they've been and where prior to arriving at ER, it's what they do when they get here that counts.

Community ownership is one of these great ideas, but the wide range of opinions on here on any subject that gets posted shows the difficulties any kind of fan ownership bring.

The other clubs you've mentioned are also screwed, Motherwell have been in administration, Aberdeen are relying on the city council bailing them out with a new ground and Killie are millions of pounds in debt with no way of getting out of it.

RIP
08-11-2011, 10:07 PM
IMO it doesn't make a blind bit of difference how successful they've been and where prior to arriving at ER, it's what they do when they get here that counts.

So we have a board with 3 accountants - none of whom appear to have a track record of running a football business before. But never mind - look what a great job they are doing here at Hibs :thumbsup:

tamig
08-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Rather than constantly analysing the respective roles of Messrs Petrie, Lyndsay, Hyland and Co - should we be looking to our SPL rivals for their Business Operating Model

St Johnstone
Owner/Chairman and son run a successful family business. St Johnstone supporters. No Board or other directors
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15574112.stm

Dundee United
Owner/Chairman (Deceased) and son ran a successful family business. Dundee United supporters. Small board / other family members as directors
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/mar/16/sport.comment3

St Mirren
Majority Shareholder/Chairman a successful businessman. Fitba supporter. Now converting club to community ownership model under new director who is himself a successful businessman
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/spl/st-mirren/meticulous-planning-for-a-brighter-future-case-study-st-mirren-1.1105687

Anyone else care to research Killie, Dons, Well?

So why is the Hibs BOM seen as the envy of many a club the length and breadth of the UK? Does it really have to change?

God Petrie
08-11-2011, 10:21 PM
The only thing that needs to change is slightly tighter controls over what powers the manager has.

At the moment the manager is given complete autonomy leading to little coherence and consistency in what type of players are recruited, how they are treated and how the team is managed. This just makes any managerial changes more jarring and disruptive.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Be interesting to see how clubs fare (or not) in an decent period of "austerity" if the does turn out to be the case.

tamig
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
The only thing that needs to change is slightly tighter controls over what powers the manager has.

At the moment the manager is given complete autonomy leading to little coherence and consistency in what type of players are recruited, how they are treated and how the team is managed. This just makes any managerial changes more jarring and disruptive.

Is that not how most managers work? Unless there was a Director of Football type character in place, who would you expect to authorise the signings? The scenario your painting and suggesting is in place just now is the total opposite to what many on here perceive.

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
So we have a board with 3 accountants - none of whom appear to have a track record of running a football business before. But never mind - look what a great job they are doing here at Hibs :thumbsup:

And there lies the problem - no voice for the football side on the Board. 3 bean counters raking in the cash from talented players over the years and putting the squeeze on our many, short-term Managers, who are only allowed to buy tosh. And we wonder why we have been unable to compete with St Mirren, Inverness & St Johnstone in recent years, clubs who are ~ 1/4 of the size of Hibs in terms of support and turnover.

Sad days indeed that we have put up with this for so long.

tamig
08-11-2011, 10:44 PM
And there lies the problem - no voice for the football side on the Board. 3 bean counters raking in the cash from talented players over the years and putting the squeeze on our many, short-term Managers, who are only allowed to buy tosh. And we wonder why we have been unable to compete with St Mirren, Inverness & St Johnstone in recent years, clubs who are ~ 1/4 of the size of Hibs in terms of support and turnover.

Sad days indeed that we have put up with this for so long.

How the hell can you say that? The budget for players is given to the manager and it's up to him how he spends it. I don't know for a fact but I'm sure the budget is probably the fourth biggest in the SPL. You cannot blame the board for that. The clubs you mention seem to have spent their lower budgets more wisely - in your opinion. So who is to blame for that?

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
How the hell can you say that? The budget for players is given to the manager and it's up to him how he spends it. I don't know for a fact but I'm sure the budget is probably the fourth biggest in the SPL. You cannot blame the board for that. The clubs you mention seem to have spent their lower budgets more wisely - in your opinion. So who is to blame for that?

Well if the Board's not to blame, then it must be each an every Manager we've gone through who's responsible then? Calderwood who had a decent if not spectacular pedigree; Yogi who did a decent job with Falkirk, Mixu who went onto do a great job with Killie and now an International Manager, Collins who IMO would have taken us to much better things if the Board had backed him.

Aye right, they were all crap Managers. Nothing to do with the Board eh?

And by the way, I'm not one for wanting Petrie or any of the Board to go, but they need to stand up and be accountable for their obvious failings over the years. Unless they accept that they have been responsible and need to change, we are going nowhere as a Club. The 3rd/4th biggest Club in Scotland should not be getting turned over consistently by Clubs 1/4 the size of us which has been happening repeatedly for as long as I can rememeber.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
It's a tough call, but I think I'll go for the Manchester City model of having oil-rich Saudi billionaires who appoint a very decent manager and then buy every world-class player he wants.

I'd rather have that the St Johnstone/St Mirren and Dundee United models.

Bad Martini
09-11-2011, 01:17 AM
It's a tough call, but I think I'll go for the Manchester City model of having oil-rich Saudi billionaires who appoint a very decent manager and then buy every world-class player he wants.

I'd rather have that the St Johnstone/St Mirren and Dundee United models.

Radge talk boab. However, ah thinks yer spot on.

Money talks and bull**** walks.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Caversham Green
09-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Bruce Langham was at Fulham and Villa before joining Hibs.

Spike Mandela
09-11-2011, 09:30 AM
The board will continue to run the finances in a sensible fashion as they should.

We need more money to sign better players but we don't have it. The only structure change rquired is someone to invest more money in the team. STF says openly he would welcome this but this is very unlikely to happen.

Therefore things trundle on the same.

greenlex
09-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Bruce Langham was at Fulham and Villa before joining Hibs.

Every time I read the name Bruce Lagham the Batman theme jumps into my head.:grr:

IWasThere2016
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Every time I read the name Bruce Lagham the Batman theme jumps into my head.:grr:

:greengrin