PDA

View Full Version : M O Neill

B'Briggs Hibee
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Just want to give my thoughts on this guy. In my opinion it must be Mon as the new manager. Ok I take on everyone's points about no experience but this is no spl experience. This is a guy who has taken shamrock to the uefa cup groups which imo is akin to getting us to the champs league. They played excellent against spurs and looked as they could pull of a shock and I think we would struggle to even get the ball just now at white hart lane.

He still has a home in Edinburgh so no major upheaval. I genuinely believe he would get us playing good football again. I appreciate we may not always win but what a difference that would make.

Again this is just my opinion and respect every who doesn't agree's reservations but this appointment would excite me greatly which is what I ,and I think,everyone of us needs.

bighairyfaeleith
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Just want to give my thoughts on this guy. In my opinion it must be Mon as the new manager. Ok I take on everyone's points about no experience but this is no spl experience. This is a guy who has taken shamrock to the uefa cup groups which imo is akin to getting us to the champs league. They played excellent against spurs and looked as they could pull of a shock and I think we would struggle to even get the ball just now at white hart lane.

He still has a home in Edinburgh so no major upheaval. I genuinely believe he would get us playing good football again. I appreciate we may not always win but what a difference that would make.

Again this is just my opinion and respect every who doesn't agree's reservations but this appointment would excite me greatly which is what I ,and I think,everyone of us needs.

TBH he is probably the only candidate that has been quoted that am excited about, I think strachan would do a great job but don't think he wants it enough, MO though I think does and I would be interested to see what he could achieve.

Leicester Fan
08-11-2011, 04:28 PM
When I saw the title I thought you meant Martin O'Neil.

basehibby
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
TBH he is probably the only candidate that has been quoted that am excited about, I think strachan would do a great job but don't think he wants it enough, MO though I think does and I would be interested to see what he could achieve.

:agree: And we should not underestimate the importance of this factor - as well as displaying ability, the new manager should ideally have the draw to pull the fans together and start filling up our shiney new stadium.

Jeffries is being heavily touted at the mo and, much as I respect his abilities as a manager and wouldn't doubt his motivation, this is a major worry IMO - many fans are already saying they wouldn't be back to watch Hibs under Jeffries and, even if you think they're full of hot air, this definately reflects the short fuse a great many Hibs fans would have for a hibs under FJK - if he didn't get off to a flier he and the board would get crucified by large sections of the support and before you knew it he would be under immense pressure.

Any new manager will come with some degree of risk and potential - for me, MON represents the best balance between these two factors when I weigh it all up.

Speedway
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm not convinced that O'Neill is that fussed about the Hibs job.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
It's incredible that it's seen as a dangerous gamble to go for a young, progressive ex-hibby who has taken a League of Ireland side to the group stages of a major European championship on a shoestring, while a fat Jambo with a record that swithers between mediocrity and abject failure, with a stack of SPL/EPL resources behind him, is seen as a 'safe bet'.

Do people not remember why Jeffries was sacked by Hearts?

smurf
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I remember a very good footballer but a guy with questionable characteristics as he ran down his contract...

Jim44
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't think O'Neil would be anywhere near the gamble that FJK would be. Of all the names being banded about I think he is the one who might help Hibs turn the corner.

Lago
08-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Agree think he has his eyes on bigger things down south.

Golden Bear
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
It's just been announced on the Beeb news that Michael O'Neill has said that he's not been approached by Hibs about the job.

calumb
08-11-2011, 05:11 PM

yip he will looking to get the next championship job that comes up.
But if we could get him and his assistant Jim Magilton to come here i don't we could do any better.

RickyS
08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
It's just been announced on the Beeb news that Michael O'Neill has said that he's not been approached by Hibs about the job.

on the radio? nothing on the website

Golden Bear
08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
on the radio? nothing on the website

:agree:

5 o'clock radio news.

EVENTUALLY
08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Mixu talks up MON.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/oneill-linked-with-hibs-2928208.html

RickyS
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM

5 o'clock radio news.

Thanks I read it wrong first time I thought u said he HAD been !

calumb
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Good man Michael thats the Hibs way deny or say nothing untill the deals signed, petrie will be so happy with you.

stevenhibs
08-11-2011, 05:50 PM

I reckon that he's being very clever though. He's not gonna jump up and down saying he wants it... I mean, only an idiot does that.... :wink:

Franck Stanton
08-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I pray to god that Michael O'Neil gets the job. Would be a great move by the Club as imo , given a bit of time will get us back to where we should be, top4 every season, challenging for the cups and more often in europe than not. Just the tonic we as fans need. Petrie, ya waster, get it sorted.

Speedway
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I think MON will evolve into this year's Steve Clarke, we all pin our hopes on him as he becomes easily the best candidate, a delayed announcement only hightens expectation and then we're all deflated when Rod announces the coup acquisition of Calderwood (Jimmy)

R'Albin
08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I think MON will evolve into this year's Steve Clarke, we all pin our hopes on him as he becomes easily the best candidate, a delayed announcement only hightens expectation and then we're all deflated when Rod announces the coup acquisition of Calderwood (Jimmy)

I was thinking something like that might happen as well!

basehibby
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM

...which is not altogether surprising as the custom appears to have been in the past to chew over things for a wee while before anyone is approached.

Personally, I wouldn't let the grass grow under my feet - if he is to be the man then get him in pronto!

CRAZYHIBBY
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I think this would be a bad appointment. we should stay away from ex players, its never worked before

Rougier45
08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Dashing bob s is spot on the gamble would be by Michael not us jj is not the man he is a dinosaur

Would love it to b Mick but what do I know I was excited by yogi until I heard him speak -we need an intelligent person and mick is that he is also a hibee and was a great Creative player hi

down the slope
08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I think this would be a bad appointment. we should stay away from ex players, its never worked before

Such as Eddie Turnbull !.

IWasThere2016
08-11-2011, 09:10 PM
My money is on MON.

Badge
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Eddie Turnbull???????????

...WentToMowAnSPL
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
It's incredible that it's seen as a dangerous gamble to go for a young, progressive ex-hibby who has taken a League of Ireland side to the group stages of a major European championship on a shoestring, while a fat Jambo with a record that swithers between mediocrity and abject failure, with a stack of SPL/EPL resources behind him, is seen as a 'safe bet'.

This ! :top marks

Bohemian_Hibee
08-11-2011, 10:45 PM

As a Bohs man, Dashing Bob will know how much I despise O'Neill :wink:

That said, I fully agree with what he has said above, as much as it kills me to say it.

O'Neill out! :devil:

Aubenas
08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Was maybe Aristotle or Socrates (philosopher not footy player) who pointed out flawed logic with:
Men are human
Women are human
So men are women.

The idea that managers have failed because they are ex Hibees is nonsense. It has no bearing at all other than perhaps that they get cut a wee bit more slack by the fans.
You'd be as well saying don't employ an ex Spurs player (CC), an ex-Monaco player (JC), or an ex Marseilles player (FS)

Club attachment means all to the supporters, but very little to players or managers. They are doing a job of work and it's irrelevant - other than the fact that they may be familiar with the geography of the town and the layout of the club.

FifeeHibee
08-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I think O'Neill could be a great manager, then he'd piss off after a few months like the others who have done wellish!!

So what to do? Best just take on some fat jambo who nobody wants. Get O'Neill interviewed NOW! SIGN HIM NOW!:flag:

lapsedhibee
08-11-2011, 11:03 PM
we should stay away from ex players, its never worked before
It's never worked, except when it has.

Was maybe Aristotle or Socrates (philosopher not footy player) who pointed out flawed logic with:
Men are human
Women are human
So men are women.

Most people have more than the average number of legs. FACT.

Beefster
08-11-2011, 11:04 PM
My money is on MON.

Seeing as he appears a popular option with the majority, it would be an easy move for the Board and instantly remove some of the pressure and bad feeling.

Personally, I hope they are a wee bit more thorough than that. They've fallen into that trap a few times before with horrible results.

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2011, 11:06 PM
lub

A fair point DBS, but I ask you this - if MON was successful in his first season or so with Hibs, how long do you think he would remain as Hibs Manager? IMO he would be off quicker than Mowbray was, if a a Championship/lower EPL Club came calling and we would be back to square 1. As a previous poster stated, as a player he certainly showed little loyalty to Hibs when he was happy to run down his contract and was then offski. Not much of a crime certainly as most players would do likewise these days, but this tells me that he would probably see Hibs as a stepping stone to better things as a Manager.

What we need is an experienced Manager who is more than likely to see out his contract with Hibs, even if he was successful. I don't think there are many candidates in this category other than Gordon Strachan. Yes, he has had his negatives as a Manager, particularly with Middlesboro but he has also been a success with other Clubs. We need a high profile, experienced Manager with an affinity for Hibs and I think Strachan could fit the bill and bring everyone together and, more importantly, stay the course if successful.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 11:23 PM

So does FJK, and it's in Billy Brown's tracky bottoms. But that's no reason to consider him for the job.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
lub

A fair point DBS, but I ask you this - if MON was successful in his first season or so with Hibs, how long do you think he would remain as Hibs Manager? IMO he would be off quicker than Mowbray was, if a a Championship/lower EPL Club came calling and we would be back to square 1. As a previous poster stated, as a player he certainly showed little loyalty to Hibs when he was happy to run down his contract and was then offski. Not much of a crime certainly as most players would do likewise these days, but this tells me that he would probably see Hibs as a stepping stone to better things as a Manager.

What we need is an experienced Manager who is more than likely to see out his contract with Hibs, even if he was successful. I don't think there are many candidates in this category other than Gordon Strachan. Yes, he has had his negatives as a Manager, particularly with Middlesboro but he has also been a success with other Clubs. We need a high profile, experienced Manager with an affinity for Hibs and I think Strachan could fit the bill and bring everyone together and, more importantly, stay the course if successful.

So what? If he was good and successful, then people would be after him. If we want somebody who is crap and unsuccessful, and will therefore stay, what was the point in sacking any of our last four managers?

Pretty Boy
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Jimmy Calderwood and Michael O'Neill are the 2 candidates that I would be more than happy to see land the gig.

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Jimmy Calderwood and Michael O'Neill are the 2 candidates that I would be more than happy to see land the gig.

Agree with the second, would be massively underwhelmed at the first one.

IWasThere2016
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Seeing as he appears a popular option with the majority, it would be an easy move for the Board and instantly remove some of the pressure and bad feeling.

Personally, I hope they are a wee bit more thorough than that. They've fallen into that trap a few times before with horrible results.

We're not alone in interest in him, and his team's performances at Brechin and more so Shamrock suggest there's something there. I wonder if Magilton is part of the post picture also??? I do not fancy many of the others named - although the list of 40 would be very interesting reading.

Emerald
08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
lub

I agree with all of this. If Strachan was interested in the slightest and affordable, then he has to be the top man, for all of the above reasons. :thumbsup:

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2011, 11:55 PM
So what? If he was good and successful, then people would be after him. If we want somebody who is crap and unsuccessful, and will therefore stay, what was the point in sacking any of our last four managers?

Hibs would pay MON peanuts - it's our way. If he was succesful and had the opportunity to double his salary in a years time he'd be off quicker than snow off a dyke. Where would that leave us? More instability.

I'd be interested why you think Strachan would be crap? In Scottish terms, a succesful player who won a European medal, a player who worked under Fergie for many years at Man U and Aberdeen, and an experienced and relatively succesful Manager. A CV 10 times the magnitude of MON and someone who's been there and done it and more likely to stay with us if succesful.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Hibs would pay MON peanuts - it's our way.

CC was on £285000 peanuts a year.

It's our way.

Emerald
08-11-2011, 11:59 PM

It's our way.

Salted or dry roasted? :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM

It's our way.

A lot less peanuts than most Championship & EPL Clubs which is all that matters. Ask Tony Mowbray. He'd be offski.

jabis
09-11-2011, 12:04 AM
A lot less peanuts than most Championship & EPL Clubs which is all that matters. He'd be offski.

love the way he's been hired and buggered off already :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
09-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Fair point. I just feel that folk are jumping on the MON bandwagon without thinking this through and future loyalty to the Club has to be a major factor. I can see why he's seen as a good candidate but he's only managed Brechin City & Shamrock Rovers so his inexperience is another factor to consider.

Bad Martini
09-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Fair point. I just feel that folk are jumping on the MON bandwagon without thinking this through and future loyalty to the Club has to be a major factor. I can see why he's seen as a good candidate but he's only managed Brechin City & Shamrock Rovers so his inexperience is another factor to consider.

:top marks
:agree: (and that doesny mean I know who we should be employing..luckily, I dont get £75,000 - £88,000 to get it wrong each time tho eh :aok:)

iwasthere1972
09-11-2011, 01:00 AM

I sincerely hope not. We've only just managed to get rid of one Calderwood and another one coming in so fast would be the last straw. The confusion it would bring would be too much.

HibeeMG
09-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I sincerely hope not. We've only just managed to get rid of one Calderwood and another one coming in so fast would be the last straw. The confusion it would bring would be too much.

Yeah, but it would save the techy's bringing out a new smiley! :cgwa

stevenhibs
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM

:greengrin

So who do we get when he leaves? Neil Lennon will be out of a job by then... Fancy him?

Beefster
09-11-2011, 07:32 AM

If Tango Jimmy has been giving opinion in the media about Hibs, as reported on here, then, thankfully, he's already ruled himself out.

Dashing Bob S
09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Hibs would pay MON peanuts - it's our way. If he was succesful and had the opportunity to double his salary in a years time he'd be off quicker than snow off a dyke. Where would that leave us? More instability.

I'd be interested why you think Strachan would be crap? In Scottish terms, a succesful player who won a European medal, a player who worked under Fergie for many years at Man U and Aberdeen, and an experienced and relatively succesful Manager. A CV 10 times the magnitude of MON and someone who's been there and done it and more likely to stay with us if succesful.

I don't recall saying that I think Strachan would be crap - I was thinking of Jeffries.

Strachan's a different matter, I early don't know. But if, as you put it, we were paying him peanuts and he was successful, wouldn't he too be off somewhere quicker than off the proverbial lesbian, a la O'Neill?

Springbank
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Dashing Bob S - Michael O'Neill is atop a lesbian??

Source??

And surely this kind of forward thinking left-of-centre approach is what we need as leader of the capital's intelligentsia club.

seven nowt
09-11-2011, 08:17 PM
when i saw the title i thought you meant martin o'neil.

I never.

frazeHFC
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM

YehButNoBut
09-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Just showing Michael O'Neill in the crowd at the Glentoran v Linfield game currently on SS1.

Maybe looking at players for Hibees. :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't recall saying that I think Strachan would be crap - I was thinking of Jeffries.

Strachan's a different matter, I early don't know. But if, as you put it, we were paying him peanuts and he was successful, wouldn't he too be off somewhere quicker than off the proverbial lesbian, a la O'Neill?

I'm thinking that Strachan is a multi millionare and won't be as motivated by money on offer elsewhere. Of course this is all ifs and buts - we don't even know if he would want the job:dunno:

AlbertK86
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Mikey O is now 6/5 favourite at Skybet

burghhibs
09-11-2011, 10:30 PM
My thoughts on O'Neill.....met him years ago on Holiday in Spain when he was leaving Hibs (http://www.hibs.net/#) to go to Dundee utd (http://www.hibs.net/#) i (http://www.hibs.net/#) think, Ask him to stay but was not really interested in staying at the time and did leave and move on. Think if he had any success he would again be off first chance hope he doesn't come think he bit success in management is a flash in the pan. Leave him to the lower English leagues and reading O'Neill saying he has not been approached by Hibs (http://www.hibs.net/#) if he was interested he should be on the phone to us.
I'll take one of the many other applicants that want the job and want to be a Easter Road. Just Hope one of them is good! :agree:

Sean1875
10-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Aside from the obvious examples (Fergie + Wenger etc.) there doesn't seem to be any loyalty or stability in football management these days. If MO'N comes in, does a brilliant job, gets us into Europe, maybe wins a trophy or two, he will only natuarally get a more lucrative offer which he would probably deserve and will leave us in a much greater shape on and, more than likely, off the park aswell. As its been mentioned before id much rather have a successful manager for a couple years than a boring, unsuccessful one that will hang around whilst we linger down near the bottom of the table competing with the likes of St Johnstone and Inverness.

offshorehibby
10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Mikey O is now 6/5 favourite at Skybet

Willie hill stopped taking bets on this today.

Big Ed
10-11-2011, 09:50 AM
[/B]

I'm thinking that Strachan is a multi millionare and won't be as motivated by money on offer elsewhere. Of course this is all ifs and buts - we don't even know if he would want the job:dunno:

I am a fan of Gordon Strachan, but consider this: his wife, (adult) children and grandchildren are all based in England now. Why would he want to disrupt all of that, to pick up the poisoned chalice of taking over at Hibs? a job he has shown no interest in previously, despite plenty of opportunity.
As you rightly say; it won't be for the money.

Melvin Hibs
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/63014/
Could this be the start of Michael O'Neill plundering the LOI :flag: