PDA

View Full Version : HIBS keeper Graham Stack has been arrested

Prawn Sandwich
08-11-2011, 05:40 AM
It just keeps getting better.......
HIBS keeper Graham Stack has been arrested after a fight in London according to the Sun.
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3921354/Hibbie-slapper.html

Nailrod
08-11-2011, 06:01 AM
I wonder how they persuaded him to come out from under the bar and throw a punch... :hmmm:

Bristolhibby
08-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Joy.

However being spat at is the lowest of the low.

IMO that justifies giving someone a burst eyebrow. Disgusting.

J

Beefster
08-11-2011, 07:55 AM
If someone spat at me, Mrs Beefster or a member of my family, I'd be giving the person a slap too. By all accounts, Stack is a bit of a hard man so I wouldn't expect him to take it lightly.

poolman
08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
It just keeps getting better.......
HIBS keeper Graham Stack has been arrested after a fight in London according to the Sun.
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3921354/Hibbie-slapper.html

Dont see the problem here

Spitting on somebody is a complete no-no and a ****in horrible thing to do

If true, the guy deserved his hospital trip :agree:

.Sean.
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree. If I was out with a group of mates having a good time and some grotesque individual gobbed on me, I wouldn't think twice about smashing him in the pus. It's vulgar.

frazeHFC
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM
When i saw the headline i thought FFS but i do have Stacks side here, as spitting is disgusting.

Kaiser1962
08-11-2011, 08:32 AM
If someone spat at me, Mrs Beefster or a member of my family, I'd be giving the person a slap too. By all accounts, Stack is a bit of a hard man so I wouldn't expect him to take it lightly.

Absolutely right. :agree:

Spits on the guy then runs to the Polis when he gets his ass kicked? Pussy.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Three sides to every story but ultimately Stack has put himself into a position where something lke this can happen by having to jump into the first nightclub that'll have him the first day off he gets.

Even if the story is 100% accurate (i've got my doubts) and saint stack was just minding his own business politely asked the guy to vacate the seats before the big bad ruffian spat on him for no reason, this is why football players shouldn't be going out during the season, town is full of ****ing idiots and there's always the possibility something like this could happen.

Football players should be made to work in a real job for two years before starting a football career so they can see how good they've got it, maybe then they'd see that giving up pish nightclubs isn't really that much of a sacrifice

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Three sides to every story but ultimately Stack has put himself into a position where something lke this can happen by having to jump into the first nightclub that'll have him the first day off he gets.

Even if the story is 100% accurate (i've got my doubts) and saint stack was just minding his own business politely asked the guy to vacate the seats before the big bad ruffian spat on him for no reason, this is why football players shouldn't be going out during the season, town is full of ****ing idiots and there's always the possibility something like this could happen.

Football players should be made to work in a real job for two years before starting a football career so they can see how good they've got it, maybe then they'd see that giving up pish nightclubs isn't really that much of a sacrifice

What a load of tosh!

Seriously, the above is a joke, right?

basehibby
Dont see the problem here

Spitting on somebody is a complete no-no and a ****in horrible thing to do

If true, the guy deserved his hospital trip :agree:

:agree: Hopefully this will be reflected in the judge's conclusion.

FastEddieFelson
can somebody please paste the story?

bingo70
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
What a load of tosh!

Seriously, the above is a joke, right?

Nope, Harry Redknapp has tried to ban all his players from going to nightclubs during the season as he thinks the same thing and i agree with him.

We keep hearing it's a short career thats why they have to make obscene amounts of money for playing football so the odd sacrifice shouldn't be too much to ask.

CRAZYHIBBY
08-11-2011, 09:09 AM

If someone spat at me, then I'll just tell stack

hibees59
08-11-2011, 09:30 AM
can somebody please paste the story?

HIBS keeper Graham Stack has been arrested by cops over claims he put a man in hospital following a brawl in a nightclub. The Easter Road ace spent a night in the cells after the bust-up at the trendy Bond venue in London, which left a 20-year-old needing stitches to his eye.
Stack — who jetted down south after the Hibees' disastrous 1-0 defeat to Dunfermline on Saturday — was nicked on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm.
He was bailed and will have to return to the central London police station in mid-January.
Last night a source close to the 30-year-old claimed the bust-up had started when the star was spat on.
The pal said: "Graham was out with his sister and pals for a night out.
"A group of lads had taken the table they were sitting at and the blokes were politely asked to give them their table back.
"There was a bit of a row and Graham was spat on and it all kicked off in the club.
"There was a fight and Graham was arrested when he got outside the club. He is devastated by this."
Another source claimed: "It looked as though there was an argument over something trivial.
"Stack went into a fury. The man had to be taken to hospital. He got stitches to a big cut above his eye."
The 20-year-old clubber was rushed to St Thomas's Hospital in Westminster, while Stack was taken to Marylebone Police Station.
He was put in the cells and then released on Sunday morning.
A police spokesman said: "A 30-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of ABH and taken into custody at a central police station.
"He was bailed pending further inquiries, returning in mid-January 2012.
"The CID in Westminster are investigating."
In March this year, the former Arsenal and Reading keeper was cleared over allegations he hit a 24-year-old man outside an Edinburgh nightclub.
And in September 2005, the English goalkeeper was cleared at Croydon Crown Court of raping a 22-year-old woman at his London flat.
Last night married dad-of-two Stack refused to discuss the nightclub incident.
Hibs — who sacked team boss Colin Calderwood after Saturday's defeat — also declined to comment.

SRHibs
08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
To be fair, if you're in a nightclub and get up and leave a table unoccupied, you've got no right to complain when you come back and someone's sitting there.

Elephant Stone
08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
To be fair, if you're in a nightclub and get up and leave a table unoccupied, you've got no right to complain when you come back and someone's sitting there.

You wouldn't expect to get spat on for complaining though.

Hibs90
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM
A quote from Stack's facebook- Im unable to comment about recent events, but will hopefully have the opportunity to clear things up soon.

jdships
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM

You are having a "laff" surely.?
"............made to work in a real job for two years ............." and exactly what effect would that have on them ?
There are hundreds of thousands of guys who can't understand what life is really about who have been working for years :greengrin.
Many of these can " cause trouble in an empty house " in up market night clubs - they don't earn mega bucks so why is that ?
I have met and been friends with dozens of pro footballers over the past fifty years and can count on one hand ( five fingers) the number who have been in " real" trouble .
OK many have had speeding tickets /involved in VA's etc.
Are you suggesting a pro player should not be trusted to have an evening out to relax ? :confused:

Suggest you don't generalise when criticising a group of people

Greentinted
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Not sure about down south but is spitting (deliberately on another person) not legally considered a form of assault.

Barney McGrew
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Are you suggesting a pro player should not be trusted to have an evening out to relax ?

Maybe banning them entirely is a bit draconian, but we clearly have an issue with it at the club.

How many Hibs players seem to get in bother up George Street and elsewhere when out on the piss? I can think of Stack, Stokes, Riordan, MacCormack and Palsson off the top of my head. That's not acceptable.

Something needs to be done to sort it out.

LancashireHibby
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Not sure about down south but is spitting (deliberately on another person) not legally considered a form of assault.

Think it can be considered as threatening behaviour but not 100%.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Nope, Harry Redknapp has tried to ban all his players from going to nightclubs during the season as he thinks the same thing and i agree with him.

We keep hearing it's a short career thats why they have to make obscene amounts of money for playing football so the odd sacrifice shouldn't be too much to ask.

HA HA> so you are having a joke.

To be fair you are generalizing here, let's say if that particular club had made that table available only for Stack's party that night ( VIP Area let's presume) this would then turn your argument on it's head.

Andy74
08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't think smacking someone is the way to react to anything. Walk away. Especially if you are a public figure. Too many of our players just don't think.

The Voice Of Reason
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
He seems to get into bother regularly......no coincidence surely ?!?

Beefster
08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't think smacking someone is the way to react to anything. Walk away. Especially if you are a public figure. Too many of our players just don't think.

That's one of those things that's easy to say but difficult to do in practice. I can't imagine that being a public figure makes it any easier to let anyone spit in your face without consequences.

These guys probably get wound up or threatened most weeks and walk away from it 99% of the time.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM

ahh, reminds me of Cinderellas nightclub. Tables by the dancefloor....

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
He seems to get into bother regularly......no coincidence surely ?!?

How do you define "Regularly"

Hibbyradge
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Allegedly spat on him.

edinburghhibee
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
That's one of those things that's easy to say but difficult to do in practice. I can't imagine that being a public figure makes it any easier to let anyone spit in your face without consequences.

These guys probably get wound up or threatened most weeks and walk away from it 99% of the time.

:top marks 100% correct.

On the nights I have experienced with now ex hibs players you can't go to any pub or club without hearing stupid comments from people walking past or guys coming up and abusing them to there face. Now if I was up town and someone gave me the same abuse i recon a slap would be the least of their worries. If people think it is right to shout abuse in someones face infront of loads of people in a busy public place they get what they deserve.

Dinkydoo
08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
You wouldn't expect to get spat on for complaining though.

On the contrary, I'd expect a bit of trouble - best thing to do would be to find another table if possible

Spitting on someone is absolutely vile though, I'm not sure that I would be able to wipe myself down and walk away to be honest - especially after a few drinks. It would be silly to suggest that anyone could, without it first having happend to yourself.

The Voice Of Reason
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
How do you define "Regularly"

Fair challenge - it was a loose statement from me.

I don't mind him being a bit of a scrapper, but a scrapper who came for the odd cross would be better ! :greengrin

DarrenSQH
08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Does any team want a goalkeeper that gets spat on and then does nothing?

I thought goalies were meant to be tough/mental.

LancashireHibby
08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
On the nights I have experienced with now ex hibs players you can't go to any pub or club without hearing stupid comments from people walking past or guys coming up and abusing them to there face. Now if I was up town and someone gave me the same abuse i recon a slap would be the least of their worries. If people think it is right to shout abuse in someones face infront of loads of people in a busy public place they get what they deserve.

But considering he was in London, how likely is it that those involved have actually recognised him as a professional footballer? I'd have said the incident will have far more likely been sparked by how nicely or otherwise Stack and friends have asked for this nightclub table to be vacated rather than some numpty wanting to boost his street cred by decking a footballer. And I say that as someone who thinks Stack is well within his rights to smack someone if they gob on him.

silverhibee
08-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe banning them entirely is a bit draconian, but we clearly have an issue with it at the club.

How many Hibs players seem to get in bother up George Street and elsewhere when out on the piss? I can think of Stack, Stokes, Riordan, MacCormack and Palsson off the top of my head. That's not acceptable.

Something needs to be done to sort it out.

Strachan banned his players from Glasgow city centre, mind you they just came through to Edinburgh for there nights out.

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Strachan banned his players from Glasgow city centre, mind you they just came through to Edinburgh for there nights out.

....where certain doormen and owners contacted WGS when that was the case SH (according to one club owner I know well).

I think it will take years to eradicate the drinking culture from Scottish (or British) football. Don't get me wrong, it happens all over the world. Look at the French squad with Ribery and Co.

For me a pro career at this level is short and sweet in some cases, and sacrificing bevvy, fags and the bookies for a couple of years isn't too much of a hardship if you want to succeed and get top dollar in what is potentially a short livelihood.

As I said after Saturday SH, Stacky was straight into a motor, fag in mouth, laughing as the car he was in drove past fans on Albion Road, which I found pretty poor IMO. Of course, folk can smoke, drink and do what they wish in their lives........but if we want a team that achieves, we need to rid this 'let's go out and get bevvied' culture that exists and always has existed for decades.

And I know you like the odd confectionery thread SH......you would have liked the chat I had with someone on Saturday discussing when we played Barcelona. Pep Guardiola bans (or banned) all players from having sweets and chocolates. They were often taken by taxi to shops, late at night, to get sweets.........I have Thierry Henry down as an M&M's man, and Eto'o down as a Twix man myself :greengrin

And I bet Pep was partial to a lemon bon bon :wink:

Sir David Gray
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
There appears to be some mitigating circumstances here but it's still publicity that the club really doesn't need.

If the guy has spat on him then I can understand Stack's reaction but this is just the latest in a long line of stories of Hibs players getting on the wrong side of the law in recent years and I'm getting a bit sick of it.

Future17
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I like Stack, but the regular issues with the lack of discipline amongst the playing staff at Hibs is getting beyond a joke.

The bottom line is he shouldn't have been there and, for me, his actions show a complete lack of professionalism or respect for the Club.

The management, coaching staff, Board and supporters need to be able to trust the players we employ to play for our club. At the moment, I don't think we can.

.Sean.
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Strachan banned his players from Glasgow city centre, mind you they just came through to Edinburgh for there nights out. Yup. Half the squad were regularly spotted melted in Cav, I remember being in the toilet at the top and Loovens beeing slumped in it!

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I like Stack, but the regular issues with the lack of discipline amongst the playing staff at Hibs is getting beyond a joke.

Any chance you can shed some light on the above, as i have never heard such accusations??

The bottom line is he shouldn't have been there and, for me, his actions show a complete lack of professionalism or respect for the Club.

Why should he not be out on a Saturday night with family and friends, bearing in mind the club have given playing and coaching staff time off during the international break??

SkintHibby
08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
It's the 4th most popular item on the UK BBC website at the moment lol!

Jones28
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Wind up?

That is an absolute pile of garbage.

Regardless of your job, title, wealth, race or anything else, spitting on someone is an absolute low. You're suggesting that footballers have a higher chance of being gobbed on during an altercation than any of us? Besides, I wonder if the guy even knew who Stack was.

Never good to see a player arrested obviously, but the guy deserved what he got.

Jim44
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Despite the despicable provocation and the understanding of quite a number on this board, Stack's alleged behaviour could at worst prove to be career threatening. I hope he doesn't have to regret his actions. A magistrate or judge may not be as charitable.

Lago
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
The interesting thing for me is that only 1 person arrested, Stack, so either police very lazy in investigating or Stacky has been a bad boy.

Cropley10
08-11-2011, 05:00 PM
If this is true he shod be sacked immediately.

Andy74
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM

Depends really. I've been in all sorts of arguments and scrapes over the years in clubs, pubs, Sunday league football and other places. Happy to say I've never hooked anyone in my life. You have the choice to do it or not.

hibsbollah
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Its a shame Palsson wasnt there. Victor could have just pished all over the spittng bloke and everyone could have called it quits without the need for Stack to chin him.

Dinkydoo
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Its a shame Palsson wasnt there. Victor could have just pished all over the spittng bloke and everyone could have called it quits without the need for Stack to chin him.

You forgot BigHairyFaeLeith; he could have shat on the windowsill and really put the icing on the cake. :faf:

hibsbollah
08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
You forgot BigHairyFaeLeith; he could have shat on the windowsill and really put the icing on the cake. :faf:

:faf: that was the stuff of legend.

scott7_0(Prague)
08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
If this is true he shod be sacked immediately.

Hope this is a form of sarcasm?

Franck Stanton
08-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Correct, it is an assault and only the lowest of the low carry out this type of action and if truth be told, most would react to someone spitting in their face.

Future17
08-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Any chance you can shed some light on the above, as i have never heard such accusations??

OK - current players:

Stack - investigated by Police before after arguing outside an Edinburgh nightclub in the early hours of the morning.

Scott and Welsh - scrapping on the training pitch resulting in a fractured jaw for Welsh.

Palsson - banned from all nightclubs in Edinburgh after being so drunk he urinated against a wall inside a venue.

O'Connor - arrested for allegedly being in possesion of cocaine and fleeing from Police (awaiting trial), also awaiting trial on charges relating to insurance fraud.

Former players:

McCormack - convicted of assault after a night out in Edinburgh City Centre.

Shields - convicted of breach of the peace after fighting with door staff at a nightclub in Edinburgh City Centre.

Riordan - where do you want to begin?

Why should he not be out on a Saturday night with family and friends, bearing in mind the club have given playing and coaching staff time off during the international break??

To be fair, I'm always in two minds when this issue is raised.

I understand that players have to have a life outside of football and shouldn't be prevented from socialising with family and friends. However, it's possible to socialise without drinking to excess.

In any case, I don't think it's unreasonable for footballers to limit themselves to, at most, four nights out (of the in-town drinking variety) per season. Stack is out almost every weekend and continues to put himself in situations which have the potential to escalate (like this one) in which he obviously can't control his behaviour.

It's also debatable whether being out on the lash on the night your Club's manager has been sacked is a wise course of action. What I don't think is debatable is that Stack's professionalism leaves a lot to be desired and is a bad example to younger players at the Club.

He's an employee of Hibernian Football Club. With that privillege comes certain responsibilities to the Club, to its fans and to his fellow players. He's let himself down and I'd like to hear him come out and say it (after legal issues are dealt with). However, what I'd like more is for him to screw the nut, show some maturity, stop acting like a Playboy and make the most of the talent he's got - for his benefit and ours.

cocopops1875
08-11-2011, 07:11 PM
You forgot in former players pip morris kicking a bouncer and stokes love of a bet(allegedly). On the other hand you have implied stackers was drinking which I'm sure is not stated and it was also in London where he really is not a " Kent face " so no more likely to find bother than anyone.

Future17
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
You forgot in former players pip morris kicking a bouncer and stokes love of a bet(allegedly). On the other hand you have implied stackers was drinking which I'm sure is not stated and it was also in London where he really is not a " Kent face " so no more likely to find bother than anyone.

Good shout.

To be fair, I don't know he was drinking on this occasion but he does when he is out in Edinburgh.

I don't really think it matters where he was. If you can't control your behaviour, don't put yourself in those situations.

Bloody Goalkeepers Union! :grr:

cocopops1875
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
I agreed with you twice on Sunday you have reached your quota. I agree if he was a total loose cannon but assuming he was gobbed on he is unlikely to stay calm

Future17
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I agreed with you twice on Sunday you have reached your quota. I agree if he was a total loose cannon but assuming he was gobbed on he is unlikely to stay calm

For the year? :greengrin

Fair enough, I just think he lacks professionalism in general and this is maybe a symptom of that.

Holmesdale Hibs
08-11-2011, 08:48 PM
If what we've heard is true then the guy probably deserved it purely for being stupid enough to start a fight with Graham Stack. Surely there must have been a smaller person he could steel a table from.

Probably been circulated already but Stack has a good punch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxChycLh3k - looks like this guy deserved it too.

I'm not condoning our plays fighting btw but in this case, IF what we're hearing is true, then I have no sympathy for the victim. Would be interesting to know the truth though.

Beefster
08-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Depends really. I've been in all sorts of arguments and scrapes over the years in clubs, pubs, Sunday league football and other places. Happy to say I've never hooked anyone in my life. You have the choice to do it or not.

I've never hit someone first in my life but I've had scraps, in my much younger days, where I was defending myself. I'd view someone spitting on me as a punch in the face, tbh.