PDA

View Full Version : Paul Sturrock

KWJ
08-11-2011, 01:40 AM
In to 3/1 now. Has Southend United sitting top of League 2, did great with St. J & Plymouth. Certainly experienced.

I'd be delighted with Luggy and he's worked with John Blackley throughout his career. According to wiki he suffers from mild Parkinsons disease.

Bring him back up north!

SneakersO'Toole
08-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Massive risk IMO. Has been hit or miss throughout his career plus health would be a major concern.

PaulSmith
08-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Posted earlier this week but Petrie has tried twice previously to get him

cocopops1875
08-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Please no

Steve20
08-11-2011, 07:10 AM
He would be better than alot of names getting chucked around, like Jefferies, Laszlo, Aitken or Brown.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 07:21 AM
I believe Hibs will interview 4 for this post

O'Neil
Jeffries
Brown
J Calderwood

Interviews to start Wednesday but JJ seems to be slight Fav ahead of O'Neil forget the rest, this might go down to money hence the reason JJ is Fav

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3920803/Hibs-will-hand-Brown-his-chance.html

bingo70
08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Why would jj be cheaper? o'neill is out of contract too but has less experience so would likely be the cheaper of the too.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
In to 3/1 now. Has Southend United sitting top of League 2, did great with St. J & Plymouth. Certainly experienced.

I'd be delighted with Luggy and he's worked with John Blackley throughout his career. According to wiki he suffers from mild Parkinsons disease.

Bring him back up north!

Do you know any pilgrims that would back your statement?
Perhaps in his first spell but now 2nd. They had to suffer Williamson also.
Going to hibs would certainly test anyone's health. next

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Why would jj be cheaper? o'neill is out of contract too but has less experience so would likely be the cheaper of the too.

O'Neil would want to bring in his own assistant Billy Brown is already on the books

bingo70
08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
O'Neil would want to bring in his own assistant Billy Brown is already on the books How do you know that, iirc o'neill changed his assistant a few months ago after a pretty public fall out so he's not got one long term right hand man he'd want to bring in. Considering his lack of experience at a bigger club it'd make absolute sense to have an experienced assistant that's already at the club

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 08:14 AM
How do you know that, iirc o'neill changed his assistant a few months ago after a pretty public fall out so he's not got one long term right hand man he'd want to bring in. Considering his lack of experience at a bigger club it'd make absolute sense to have an experienced assistant that's already at the club

Surly his lack of experience at a bigger club “you mention” makes him unsuitable for the Hibs job, and like you I’m guessing O’Neil would want to bring people he has worked with before.

Allant1981
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Cant see them hiring an inexperienced manager this time. They must know that the club needs someone who has been there and done it and wont take any crap. Im probably in the minority but id take FJK

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Surly his lack of experience at a bigger club “you mention” makes him unsuitable for the Hibs job, and like you I’m guessing O’Neil would want to bring people he has worked with before.

Nope as i said on another thread, (or maybe this one) i don't want an experienced manager.

Any experienced manager we go for will have failed somewhere else so what makes everyone think they won't fail again with us the same way CC is experienced but failed? I want us to go for a young enthusiastic ambitious manager that will bring an energy and determination to succeed and has only ever been a success wherever they've been and not someone counting down the days until retirement that doesn't really care if they are a success as even if they fail they've got a previous reputation they can live off.

You stated he would want to bring his own man in as number two, i pointed out that might not be the case.

IWasThere2016
08-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I believe Hibs will interview 4 for this post

O'Neil
Jeffries
Brown
J Calderwood

Interviews to start Wednesday but JJ seems to be slight Fav ahead of O'Neil forget the rest, this might go down to money hence the reason JJ is Fav

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3920803/Hibs-will-hand-Brown-his-chance.html

Is that really the best Rodders puppets could come up with .. heaven help us!

Has to be MON for me from that list. Where's McCall? Bollan? Others from dann saff?

happiehibbie
08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I have spoke to Paul he told me he was approached about the job before Mcliesh got it and sounded out for every other vacancy he told me he could not work with that man !!! i think he meant the Tache

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Cant see them hiring an inexperienced manager this time. They must know that the club needs someone who has been there and done it and wont take any crap. Im probably in the minority but id take FJK

Aye, cos he was a blinding success turning round a struggling Bradford side, or arresting the slide hearts were on when they won something like one game out of his last 20 with hearts and he did a terrific job of turning Killie from bottom six also rands into a team challenging to get into the top six.

Sorry for the sarcy response but this FJK love in on this board is a nonsense, he's an average manager thats only ever done well with hearts for a short period of time when spending way more than his competitors.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM

As said I would have no problem if JJ became the new manager provided he done a good job and got us back up the league playing good football.

It dose'nt bother me one jot he was once the Manager of hearts- there's thread asking when hearts go t1ts up what players would we take so how is it different with JJ ?

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Has to be MON for me from that list. Where's McCall? Bollan? Others from dann saff?

I think we both know thats a guess list and not really the only people we'll be interested in

The Sea-gull
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I know for a fact we tried to get Sturrock when Blobby was the manager around 2003/4 though someone has said he has tried for him twice but dunno when the other time was. Plan was to sack Blobby and install Sturrock so knowing this, it is interesting that though clubs would never admit it, when things aren't going well moves definitely go on behind the scenes for a replacement whilst the current manager is in post.

With this in mind, the board will already have an idea of who their preferred candidate(s) are.

If I am being honest, much as it pains me to say it, given that BB is already at ER JJ would be the obvious choice. I'd go as far to say that if he had done the job he has with Hearts with any other non old firm club and was available in the same circumstances as he is now, no compo etc, he would already have been unveiled as boss. Taking the Hearts thing aside, he is probably the best candidate for us right now.

Not popular either but Jimmy Calderwood's record stands up well. Has a track record of avoiding relegation (useful for us at this momement) and also consistently reaching the top half of the table.

Stuart McCall would maybe be worth a shot but is it worth paying compo for him? Would be a gamble to appoint him on the strength of just one year at Motherwell. I'm not familiar with his track record down south. Do like him though in terms of way he handles the media.

Michael O'Neil may turn out to be a dynamic and forward thinking young manager who we miss the boat on but I'd like to avoid giving him the job as I don't think he is what we need right now. We need experience.

If Derek McInnes has still been at St Johnstone no doubt some would be shouting for him but to be honest what has he really done anyway. Brought a team up from the first division, established them in the SPL and has them challenging for the top 6, has done well in the cup competitions. Sounds all too like a CV of one of our recent managerial appointments....

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM
I know for a fact we tried to get Sturrock when Blobby was the manager around 2003/4 though someone has said he has tried for him twice but dunno when the other time was. Plan was to sack Blobby and install Sturrock so knowing this, it is interesting that though clubs would never admit it, when things aren't going well moves definitely go on behind the scenes for a replacement whilst the current manager is in post.

With this in mind, the board will already have an idea of who their preferred candidate(s) are.

If I am being honest, much as it pains me to say it, given that BB is already at ER JJ would be the obvious choice. I'd go as far to say that if he had done the job he has with Hearts with any other non old firm club and was available in the same circumstances as he is now, no compo etc, he would already have been unveiled as boss. Taking the Hearts thing aside, he is probably the best candidate for us right now.

Not popular either but Jimmy Calderwood's record stands up well. Has a track record of avoiding relegation (useful for us at this momement) and also consistently reaching the top half of the table.

Stuart McCall would maybe be worth a shot but is it worth paying compo for him? Would be a gamble to appoint him on the strength of just one year at Motherwell. I'm not familiar with his track record down south. Do like him though in terms of way he handles the media.

Michael O'Neil may turn out to be a dynamic and forward thinking young manager who we miss the boat on but I'd like to avoid giving him the job as I don't think he is what we need right now. We need experience.

If Derek McInnes has still been at St Johnstone no doubt some would be shouting for him but to be honest what has he really done anyway. Brought a team up from the first division, established them in the SPL and has them challenging for the top 6, has done well in the cup competitions. Sounds all too like a CV of one of our recent managerial appointments....

CC was experienced and Mowbray wasnt but i know who i think was the better manager.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Nope as i said on another thread, (or maybe this one) i don't want an experienced manager.

Any experienced manager we go for will have failed somewhere else so what makes everyone think they won't fail again with us the same way CC is experienced but failed? I want us to go for a young enthusiastic ambitious manager that will bring an energy and determination to succeed and has only ever been a success wherever they've been and not someone counting down the days until retirement that doesn't really care if they are a success as even if they fail they've got a previous reputation they can live off.

You stated he would want to bring his own man in as number two, i pointed out that might not be the case.

I think that’s were we differ because only experience is going to get us out of this mess-if we bring in another dud at this stage and it doesn’t work we’ll almost certainly be playing 1st division football next season.

The assistant you talk about that O’Neil fell out with was 9 weeks ago but Jim Magilton is filling the gap at this moment in time so O’Neil definitely wouldn’t bring him on board?

The Sea-gull
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
CC was experienced and Mowbray wasnt but i know who i think was the better manager.

True, what I really mean and perhaps what my post should have read is experienced in terms of the SPL. Not always requirements and doesn't always work out but I think right now it is what we need.

We have had managers who have SPL experience and it hasn't worked out but I think most of our recent managers have been in their early 40s. In fact all off our managers in the last 15 years have been in or around this age bracket.

Time now to go for someone a bit older, it is worth a shot giving a wise head in his 50s or even early 60s a chance. We have done the younger manager thing to death.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I think that’s were we differ because only experience is going to get us out of this mess-if we bring in another dud at this stage and it doesn’t work we’ll almost certainly be playing 1st division football next season.

The assistant you talk about that O’Neil fell out with was 9 weeks ago but Jim Magilton is filling the gap at this moment in time so O’Neil definitely wouldn’t bring him on board?

I don't think Magilton would see himself as a long term assistant manager to MoN, i don't know that for fact though, your post suggested it was fact that MoN would want his own man, i just pointed out an alternative view as none of us know.

CC was experienced and was a success at at Northanpton, improved Nottingham forest from when he first took them over and was considered one of the better assistant managers down south so what makes you sure an 'experienced manager' would be a success this time?

If you can tell me an experienced manager that would come to us thats been universaly popular wherever he's been i'll hold my hands up and agree with you, however i think what you'll come up with is names of average managers that only have experience of mediocrity or failed elsewhere, therefore just as likely to fail with us as an inexperienced manager that just might potentially be a brilliant manager the way Mowbrey was for the club.

An experienced old fart keeping us in the division is not going to bring the fans back to the club long term, we need someone with an energy that'll capture the imagination of the fans and players.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
True, what I really mean and perhaps what my post should have read is experienced in terms of the SPL. Not always requirements and doesn't always work out but I think right now it is what we need.

We have had managers who have SPL experience and it hasn't worked out but I think most of our recent managers have been in their early 40s. In fact all off our managers in the last 15 years have been in or around this age bracket.

Time now to go for someone a bit older, it is worth a shot giving a wise head in his 50s or even early 60s a chance. We have done the younger manager thing to death.

I'll just agree to disagree with you then.

I think appointing someone for the short term just to keep us in the division would be a long term disaster for the club.

I wouldn't be against the idea of an older head like Alex Miller to oversee the whole football operation but i'd want a younger ambitious manager to take charge of the first team

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I'll just agree to disagree with you then.

I think appointing someone for the short term just to keep us in the division would be a long term disaster for the club.

I wouldn't be against the idea of an older head like Alex Miller to oversee the whole football operation but i'd want a younger ambitious manager to take charge of the first team

Interesting you mention him bingo, I met his boys on Saturday night. Lovely lads, still hold Hibs in high regard. Told me an interesting story about when Alex and Greg were in Japan (Greg went across as an Asst after doing his badges). Owner across there was signing players behind their backs etc and meddling.

Anyway, long story short Alex reckons Hibs are set up absolutely perfectly and it would be a dream job. When I asked tongue in cheek if his dad would apply, there was no tongue in cheek response........it was a very definite 'yes, he'd jump at it'.

Not what we need IMHO, but they were good lads as ever and hoped Hibs improve and get success.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't think Magilton would see himself as a long term assistant manager to MoN, i don't know that for fact though, your post suggested it was fact that MoN would want his own man, i just pointed out an alternative view as none of us know.

CC was experienced and was a success at at Northanpton, improved Nottingham forest from when he first took them over and was considered one of the better assistant managers down south so what makes you sure an 'experienced manager' would be a success this time?

If you can tell me an experienced manager that would come to us thats been universaly popular wherever he's been i'll hold my hands up and agree with you, however i think what you'll come up with is names of average managers that only have experience of mediocrity or failed elsewhere, therefore just as likely to fail with us as an inexperienced manager that just might potentially be a brilliant manager the way Mowbrey was for the club.

An experienced old fart keeping us in the division is not going to bring the fans back to the club long term, we need someone with an energy that'll capture the imagination of the fans and players.

First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

And getting the Fans back isn’t the main priority it’s getting us safe without the threat of relegation

The manager we need should have SPL experience because Hibs don’t play in any other league.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state of the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

And getting the Fans back isn’t the main priority it’s getting us safe without the threat of relegation

The manager we need should have SPL experience because Hibs don’t play in any other league.

The first question proves my point, a young manager that's done well with other clubs and is on their way up.

The two go hand in hand, we start to play well, we'll win games and fans will come back, remember it's only just turned november, lets not get too worried about the threat of relegation just yet, few being a bit dramatic on this subject IMO.

Yogi had SPL experience and he wasnae much cop IMO.

Still not seen my question answered though, any experienced manager we could get will have failed somewher else so what makes them less likely to fail than a young manager thats only ever been a success? (especially considering we've just had an absolute disaster of an appointment of an experienced manager)

Cropley10
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
First off there is only a certain type of manager that Hibs will attract and that’s due to money and the state the club finds itself in. What manager would come to us that has been universally popular knowing he could get 4 times the salary elsewhere and play at a better level?

I think plenty of managers will be attracted to an annual salary of £285k

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Not really true. The Hibs manager position is well paid and will attract huge interest, from experienced heads to rookies. Managers out the game get impatient being away from it, hence it's the job and the profile that will also attract them, not just the salary. I often see people citing Peter Reid as a possible candidate...........he went from managing an EPL club to managing one that was hours from extinction where players went unpaid for months. That is because he has a genuine love, passion and desire for the game and to get on the training pitch. I can't imagine Plymouth being anywhere near Sunderland on salary terms, can you ? He went to Leeds when they were hugely in debt and near administration.........I suppose he is seen as the football Red Adair :greengrin Would you say he is a good candidate ?

I think we would all be pleasantly surprised at the calibre of people who apply for SPL jobs. But we don't decide who is on the shortlist, the Board do.

greenlex
08-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Decent thread without the usual hyper nonsense.
One thing this thread proves is that whoever and I really mean whoever gets the gig it will just be a punt likeany other appointment made anywhere in the game by any club.
Who would like the job of taking that punt? Not I.

offshorehibby
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Totally agree with this. Any experienced managers coming to Hibs have probably been sacked from previous posts. A young hungary manager with fresh ideas is what we need.

Sturrock would have been my choice a few years ago before his illness not so sure now.

MON is my choice, i can't see a number 2 being a problem as he has only just got a new no2 at Shamrock. I hope if BB is passed over for the managers job that he can work with MON. Failing that MON will have enough contacts to find a capable no2 in Scotland.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Decent thread without the usual hyper nonsense.
One thing this thread proves is that whoever and I really mean whoever gets the gig it will just be a punt likeany other appointment made anywhere in the game by any club.
Who would like the job of taking that punt? Not I.

Exactly.

Thats why i think that people that want experience cos it's less of a punt are wrong, i think the only thing you're guaranteed with experience is mediocraty and i think at this stage we're at an important crossroads and we need to be looking for more than that, even if we are less than mediocre just now that shouldn't be the limit of our ambitions.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Totally agree with this. Any experienced managers coming to Hibs have probably been sacked from previous posts. A young hungary manager with fresh ideas is what we need.

Sturrock would have been my choice a few years ago before his illness not so sure now.

MON is my choice, i can't see a number 2 being a problem as he has only just got a new no2 at Shamrock. I hope if BB is passed over for the managers job that he can work with MON. Failing that MON will have enough contacts to find a capable no2 in Scotland.

Any young Hungary manager that does well are always sought after by better and bigger clubs that ours- how do you plan on keeping him if he's a success?

And I’m not saying we shouldn’t employ them for that reason but it’s a fact.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Any young Hungary manager that does well are always sought after by better and bigger clubs that ours- how do you plan on keeping him if he's a success?

I want our next manager to be a success. If he is, he'll be poached and hopefully we'll get compensation.

That's the way it works.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 09:53 AM

No offence but thats a rubbish argument, we shouldnt go for a young manager in case they're really good and someone else wants them? To answer your question though we don't, we make sure we get maximum compensation and then start the process again but by then we'd be in a better position than we are now after a few good seasons under the new guy.

LancashireHibby
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
We have to be realistic and realise that we're probably not too far apart from lower-end League One & higher-end League Two clubs in terms of playing budget, and on that basis I think we could do a LOT worse than Sturrock. Southend have been playing some great football this season apparently and the results speak for themselves.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
No offence but thats a rubbish argument, we shouldnt go for a young manager in case they're really good and someone else wants them? To answer your question though we don't, we make sure we get maximum compensation and then start the process again but by then we'd be in a better position than we are now after a few good seasons under the new guy.

Its not an argument its a FACT and I didnt say we should go for a young manager That’s your interpretation you seem to want run before we can walk.

one point of the bottom with the better teams in the league as our next opponent’s we should address that first dont you think?

bingo70
08-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Its not an argument its a FACT and I didnt say we should go for a young manager That’s your interpretation you seem to want run before we can walk.

one point of the bottom with the better teams in the league as our next opponent’s we should address that first dont you think?

Nope, it's a rubbish argument for not appointing an 'inexperienced manager' though, whether it's a FACT or not.

No, i think appointing a manger with our target being avoiding relegation would be bed wetting to the extreme, despite the fact we're second bottom just now we shouldn't be appointing a manager with the possibility of relegation in mind, we should be thinking much bigger than that.

IMO for all CC's faults, and there are plenty as he was pish, the foundations have been laid for us to improve again, i personally think right now we're in a very similiar situation as a club as we were when Williamson left and Mowbrey took over.

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Not a criticism at you mate so don't take this the wrong way, but for me that comment is one (and there are many) of the reasons we are where we are as a club. Nid is right in a way that us fans, yes due to past bitter experience no doubt, are very very quick to be negative. You say we are one point of bottom. What I want is a revamp of the club so that we have the mindset that we are only 6 points off fourth. The next manager, his assistant, and the club, should be taking stock and really thinking about changing the whole mindset of Hibs. We as fans play a huge part in that too.

Hibs for as long as I have supported them have been psychologically weak. Their heads have never been in the right place collectively. We are a side that runs out the tunnel fearing or playing to not get beat (CC at the weekend acknowledging he'd take a 0-0 is classic example) instead of running out knowing we will win. That characteristic is missing. Mowbray had it due to the impetuousness and slight arrogance of youth. Brown, Thommo, Riordan and GOC all had that 'come on then, give us a game' type attitude, probably down to their youth as I say and their enjoyment of winning big games. Collins took that and added some fitness and organisation to it (and professionalism). His failing for me was that Scottish football is decades behind his ideology and social life in Scotland cannot seem to do without drink and self discipline (another argument I know).

Petrie for me has to step aside fully. The board needs a dynamic, fresh approach to things on and off the pitch. The fans need re-energised. The 'teenage kicks' brand of football for me needs to return. We need to be a club where a cracking young talent, maybe on the fringes of an EPL or Championship club, wants to come to to learn the game, enjoy it, score goals, and be truly supported.

For me the likes of young DW, Booth and Stephens must dread ER at times when they get the ball. And I don't exclude myself from that either. I have found myself being overly critical at games and having to check myself for going OTT.

The club have to listen and they have to act with a positivity that let's fans see they care, listen and take on board our views. The new manager has to have drive, energy and a real positive outlook on the game. Above all, he must be respected by everyone at the club.

PatHead
08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Paul Sturrock would be my ideal choice. I seem to remember him forcing the St Johnstone players (Roddy Grant definately springs to mind) to do a steeplejack's job for a day. The theory was it would make the players appreciate their cushy number. Grant admitted it did. Shows how he thinks outside the box and tries to develop the younger players.

If he wouldn't come I would like to see a Director of Football appointed such as Alex Miller with Michael O'Neill as the manager in charge of the team. Miller would be tasked with sorting out why the facilities are not reaping their rewards.

hibiedude
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Not a criticism at you mate so don't take this the wrong way, but for me that comment is one (and there are many) of the reasons we are where we are as a club. Nid is right in a way that us fans, yes due to past bitter experience no doubt, are very very quick to be negative. You say we are one point of bottom. What I want is a revamp of the club so that we have the mindset that we are only 6 points off fourth. The next manager, his assistant, and the club, should be taking stock and really thinking about changing the whole mindset of Hibs. We as fans play a huge part in that too.

Hibs for as long as I have supported them have been psychologically weak. Their heads have never been in the right place collectively. We are a side that runs out the tunnel fearing or playing to not get beat (CC at the weekend acknowledging he'd take a 0-0 is classic example) instead of running out knowing we will win. That characteristic is missing. Mowbray had it due to the impetuousness and slight arrogance of youth. Brown, Thommo, Riordan and GOC all had that 'come on then, give us a game' type attitude, probably down to their youth as I say and their enjoyment of winning big games. Collins took that and added some fitness and organisation to it (and professionalism). His failing for me was that Scottish football is decades behind his ideology and social life in Scotland cannot seem to do without drink and self discipline (another argument I know).

Petrie for me has to step aside fully. The board needs a dynamic, fresh approach to things on and off the pitch. The fans need re-energised. The 'teenage kicks' brand of football for me needs to return. We need to be a club where a cracking young talent, maybe on the fringes of an EPL or Championship club, wants to come to to learn the game, enjoy it, score goals, and be truly supported.

For me the likes of young DW, Booth and Stephens must dread ER at times when they get the ball. And I don't exclude myself from that either. I have found myself being overly critical at games and having to check myself for going OTT.

The club have to listen and they have to act with a positivity that let's fans see they care, listen and take on board our views. The new manager has to have drive, energy and a real positive outlook on the game. Above all, he must be respected by everyone at the club.

I never rubbish anyone’s opinion on Hibs.net because at the end of the day we are all fans and at the moment we are all frustrated due to the state of the club.

It is my opinion we are one of the worst teams in the league wither that was to do with Calderwood tactics or the lack of it the jury is out on that one.

Agree Petrie time is up 100% but if we get this appointment wrong and we still struggle it really could be 1st division football next.

9000 STH to 4,500 and dropping is a major concern this is not the time to take a punt on a young inexperienced manager to try a cut his teeth at a higher level than he’s managing in at Shamrock Rovers.

Any Manager is going to be risk but lets lessen the risk with bring in someone with experience.

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Paul Sturrock would be my ideal choice. I seem to remember him forcing the St Johnstone players (Roddy Grant definately springs to mind) to do a steeplejack's job for a day. The theory was it would make the players appreciate their cushy number. Grant admitted it did. Shows how he thinks outside the box and tries to develop the younger players.

If he wouldn't come I would like to see a Director of Football appointed such as Alex Miller with Michael O'Neill as the manager in charge of the team. Miller would be tasked with sorting out why the facilities are not reaping their rewards.

It was indeed. It was Roddy Grant and the one and only Alan Preston that were sent up roofing with a roofer who was a Hibee IIRC, who in turn had to train with them for a day. The temptation surely would have crossed the Hibee's mind eh :devil:

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=7ZNlo_px1Ow

I think Sturrock's opening gambit says it all eh.

greenlex
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Down the pit for a day as well IIRC.

truehibernian
08-11-2011, 11:01 AM

The one string to Alex Miller's bow, if Hibs went down to DOF route, is that he was the 'World Scout' for Liverpool when he was there, travelling all over the world and Europe developing contacts and networks. Would be silly not to try and tap into someone like that IMHO, but not as a manager. I like the sound of your partnership though.

The Sea-gull
08-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Not a bad shout but would be costly as two wages required.

I am fairly sure that M O'Neil and Miller fell out towards the end of the former's time at ER. If they did could be water under the bridge now, in fact did Miller not sign O'Neil for Aberdeen for a wee while?

smurf
08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Sturrock should definitely be in contention.

Stevie Reid
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Not a bad shout but would be costly as two wages required.

I am fairly sure that M O'Neil and Miller fell out towards the end of the former's time at ER. If they did could be water under the bridge now, in fact did Miller not sign O'Neil for Aberdeen for a wee while?

Think he did, and prior to that I think O'Neill was at Coventry when Miller was assistant manager to Strachan.

Would definitely be up for Miller being Director of Football, he's ideal for that role.

heretoday
08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Better double the supplies of Kleenex, Mr Storemaster.

That big greetin' Jim Jefferies is a-sailin' in!

Posh Swanny
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Calderwood is about as popular at Forest as he is at Easter Road! His reign at the City Ground was a bit like that of Bobby Williamson at Hibs, did a job but the football was dire and the fans never took to him.

bingo70
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Calderwood is about as popular at Forest as he is at Easter Road! His reign at the City Ground was a bit like that of Bobby Williamson at Hibs, did a job but the football was dire and the fans never took to him. That's why I worded it the way I did, I know he wasn't popular but when he left they were better than when he took over

AlbertK86
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I never rubbish anyone’s opinion on Hibs.net because at the end of the day we are all fans and at the moment we are all frustrated due to the state of the club. It is my opinion we are one of the worst teams in the league wither that was to do with Calderwood tactics or the lack of it the jury is out on that one. Agree Petrie time is up 100% but if we get this appointment wrong and we still struggle it really could be 1st division football next. 9000 STH to 4,500 and dropping is a major concern this is not the time to take a punt on a young inexperienced manager to try a cut his teeth at a higher level than he’s managing in at Shamrock Rovers. Any Manager is going to be risk but lets lessen the risk with bring in someone with experience. He is managing a team playing in europe and a team who beat up pre season either this year or last. The difference in class in the leagues other than the old firm is minimal

Petrie's Tache
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Been advocating a Luggy/Sloop partnership for a while now. That said I would welcome MON equally.

Tom Hart RIP
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Bring him back up north!

I would be happy with a Sturrock / Blackley partnership. I actually suggested JB as manager but was shot down. Apparently taking Hibs to the League Cup Final, beating both Rangers and Celtic twice, Scottish Cup semi, with another golden generation of Collins Weir Kane Hunter Milne May as well as signing Durie and Cowan plus 25 years as a number two in England, including 4 promotions in 6 years and almost getting Plymouth into the Premiership does not make him worth a mention.
I would be concerned about Sturrock's health issues, but JB would be an asset to any new manager. He is primarily a defensive coach and given the state of ours, he would certainly be worth considering.

Petrie's Tache
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I would be happy with a Sturrock / Blackley partnership. I actually suggested JB as manager but was shot down. Apparently taking Hibs to the League Cup Final, beating both Rangers and Celtic twice, Scottish Cup semi, with another golden generation of Collins Weir Kane Hunter Milne May as well as signing Durie and Cowan plus 25 years as a number two in England, including 4 promotions in 6 years and almost getting Plymouth into the Premiership does not make him worth a mention.
I would be concerned about Sturrock's health issues, but JB would be an asset to any new manager. He is primarily a defensive coach and given the state of ours, he would certainly be worth considering.

No real issues there, mild Parkinsons. Sloop wouldn't want a number 1 gig again, however would relish the opportunity to be Liggy's no2 at Hibs.:wink:

Luggy could come back for a while and then leave to retire at D Utd which is his wish I believe.

Hermit Crab
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Calm down mate. The names you quoted are just speculation from the poster. Absolutely no evidence to suggest that is the final shortlist Hibs will draw up for interview. :aok: :coffee::wink:

iwasthere1972
08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
What's the chance of Billy Brown doing a good job for us and landing the position himself. For a bonus point would he bring in JJ as his number 2?

Dashing Bob S
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Aye, cos he was a blinding success turning round a struggling Bradford side, or arresting the slide hearts were on when they won something like one game out of his last 20 with hearts and he did a terrific job of turning Killie from bottom six also rands into a team challenging to get into the top six.

Sorry for the sarcy response but this FJK love in on this board is a nonsense, he's an average manager thats only ever done well with hearts for a short period of time when spending way more than his competitors.

Nutshell. Jeffries would be a disastrous appointment at ER. In his last spell he couldn't buy a win with Vlad's millions and effectively spent the Pieman's business on a Scottish Cup. A failure and Bradford and average at Killie.

He would have to have the management skills of Sir Alex Ferguson or the crowd would turn on him in no time at all.

Clearly he doesn't.

Employing Jeffries would an unmitigated disaster far in excess of any folly the board have previously perpetuated, and you'd actually suspect that somebody was actively trying to ruin the club by such an action.

As for Jeffries - wake up! He's a poor man's Bobby Williamson at the very best. Just because he's good at having a sour pus when the Hibernian ball flies into his net (7-0,6-2,5-1) doesn't mean he'd be a good manager of Hibs. Ridiculous beyond words.

KWJ
08-11-2011, 04:37 PM
I think JJ is okay and his poor run in with Hearts included massive interference from Vlad however I think Sturrock would be the better choice in the experienced stakes and would certainly come without the baggage.

If as a previous poster stated "He'd never work for that man (Petrie)" then it's a non starter but his backing in the market gives me hope.

Somebody questioned what Pilgrims fans think of him after his 2nd spell. From what I can remember he kept them in the Championship and after a slightly poor run he moved upstairs before taking over at Swindon. Since he left as manager of Plymouth they have been in complete freefall so I'd guess he's still loved there, he is there manager of the century or something like that.

Glory Glory.

4's at Stan James now and MON looks like he's backed in to just better than evens.

Lago
08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Massive risk IMO. Has been hit or miss throughout his career plus health would be a major concern.

Yip agree, seems to start off well and fade away don't know why but doesn't seem to last.

KWJ
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Really?

Didn't work out for him at Dundee Utd too well but he did resign rather than get pushed and they were his club so added pressure. Southampton wasn't a fit and the Premier League publicity didn't really suit him. However at St. Johnstone, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and now Southend United I'd say he did very well and left them in a better position than when he joined. Don't know anything about his time at Swindon, can't remember it at all. Let me have a peak, oh he did well there too earning them a promotion.

Want to expand on your comment as it seems the only clubs he hasn't succeeded at were Southampton and Dundee Utd both of which seriously struggled after he left.

The Falcon
08-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Its not is it? Seriously?

iwasthere1972
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Unbelievable. David Cameron only gets half of that for bringing the country to it's knees.

Petrie's Tache
09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
KW Jnr,

Luggy was promoted with Swindon, also and had a good ratio in the league with Southampton, was sacked as his 'face didn't fit' rather than his work. No doubt had he been kept on he would have indeeed kept them in the league that year.:agree:

As a side not he also put Mourinho through his coaching badges and he didn't turn out too bad!!!!:greengrin

Aldo
09-11-2011, 02:05 PM
It was indeed. It was Roddy Grant and the one and only Alan Preston that were sent up roofing with a roofer who was a Hibee IIRC, who in turn had to train with them for a day. The temptation surely would have crossed the Hibee's mind eh :devil:

FWIW I knew Roddy Grant very well. Used to drink in the Tower in Craigshill (livi) with his brother Murray.

He was a stone Mason to trade and was Part time for a bit when he 1st went there. Not scared if hard work. The only thing IMHO that stopped him playing for a bigger club was his lack of pace. Excellent hold up play and could header the ball superbly well.

Green_one
09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Not convinced by Sturrock at all. Past his best and a history of illnesses. I cannot see him turning us around or even sticking around. His illness will only get worse. Missed his opportunity basically.

Davies & Strachan are unlikely to take a Hibs job with no assurances of cash input. Another Clarke type waste of time

Jeffries would be a very risky move for the Board. There is a strong fan base dead against him. Why would he or the Board take that risk.

Its going to be from MON or the middle runners. If we cannot find the right guy, there might be a case for an experienced manager short term, just to get us out this rut. I would certainly hold onto Brown, to help anyone coming in.

I would not fancy making the choice.

Russian Hibs Fan
09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Sturrock is my favorite choice. He done a good job in England (Plymouth and Owls).

Sergey
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Sturrock is my favorite choice. He done a good job in England (Plymouth and Owls).

Have you ever been to Roots Hall?

Russian Hibs Fan
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Have you ever been to Roots Hall?

No. Why?

cabbageandribs1875
10-11-2011, 12:56 AM
FWIW I knew Roddy Grant very well. Used to drink in the Tower in Craigshill (livi) with his brother Murray.

He was a stone Mason to trade and was Part time for a bit when he 1st went there. Not scared if hard work. The only thing IMHO that stopped him playing for a bigger club was his lack of pace. Excellent hold up play and could header the ball superbly well.

had a few pints in there myself :agree: going back 25 years ago right enough :greengrin

Petrie's Tache
10-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Not convinced by Sturrock at all. Past his best and a history of illnesses. I cannot see him turning us around or even sticking around. His illness will only get worse. Missed his opportunity basically.

Davies & Strachan are unlikely to take a Hibs job with no assurances of cash input. Another Clarke type waste of time

Jeffries would be a very risky move for the Board. There is a strong fan base dead against him. Why would he or the Board take that risk.

Its going to be from MON or the middle runners. If we cannot find the right guy, there might be a case for an experienced manager short term, just to get us out this rut. I would certainly hold onto Brown, to help anyone coming in.

I would not fancy making the choice.

Hardly,

Top of the league, +7 goal difference and outplaying big spending Crawley. Considering he only had 5 fully signed playing staff he has done exceptionally well.