PDA

View Full Version : Willie McCartney

Jamesie
07-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought this was worthy of a thread of it's own - while I think most people are aware that a Hearts assistant manager thereafter becoming a Hibs assistant isn't particularly ground breaking (Willie Ormond for definite and I think maybe Andy Watson?), it's maybe less well known - indeed it was something I only became aware of in the last five years or so - that a Hearts manager has thereafter taken the reins at Easter Road - Willie McCartney was his name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_McCartney

Jim Jefferies isn't able to lace Mr McCartney's boots IMO but there is a precedent and overall McCartney didn't do a bad job - arguably he was in part responsible for the Famous Five. :thumbsup:

tamig
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I thought this was worthy of a thread of it's own - while I think most people are aware that a Hearts assistant manager thereafter becoming a Hibs assistant isn't particularly ground breaking (Willie Ormond for definite and I think maybe Andy Watson?), it's maybe less well known - indeed it was something I only became aware of in the last five years or so - that a Hearts manager has thereafter taken the reins at Easter Road - Willie McCartney was his name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_McCartney

Jim Jefferies isn't able to lace Mr McCartney's boots IMO but there is a precedent and overall McCartney didn't do a bad job - arguably he was in part responsible for the Famous Five. :thumbsup:

Bit in bold - bit of an understatement.

Jamesie
07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Bit in bold - bit of an understatement.

Indeed. From all I've ready it's widely acknowledged that it was Willie's team that went on to win the league that year and he had done a lot of the hard word in terms of Hugh Shaw's later successes.

tamig
07-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Indeed. From all I've ready it's widely acknowledged that it was Willie's team that went on to win the league that year and he had done a lot of the hard word in terms of Hugh Shaw's later successes.

If you read Lawrie Reilly's book there are some great tales about McCartney.

Jamesie
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
If you read Lawrie Reilly's book there are some great tales about McCartney.

It's in the pile of yet to be read Hibs book - on top of which Andy McVannan's book, which arrived this morning, is about to be placed. Really need to devote a few days over the Xmas holidays to these.

Lucius Apuleius
08-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Different times and different attitudes. McCartney did a great job for us. I really really really do not see that fat jambo prick doing the same.