PDA

View Full Version : CC Signings

since90plustwo
07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
To be fair to calderwood, he has brought a few good players to the club, cant think of an horror show of a signing, even though their form is not exactly inspiring.

Thornhill - thought he was a goodd player, kept things tidy, think once he comes back to full fitness could be a decent player
Palsson - great start, fell away a wee bit and had completely lost form, but there is a footballer in there somewhere, hence why he played for liverpool and is part of that talented u-21 iceland squad
Sodje - Think this was one of his better signings, not the greatest footballer but was exactly what we needed last term
Scott - hes not the greatest player, has a few off games but i quite like him, gives it his all, decent squad player
o'connor - nothing needs to be said. 10 goals already.
sproule - still think he has alot to offer us, good coming off the bench
O'hanlon - decent defender, big hardman, what we needed.
agogo - despised him at the start, but hes coming onto a game and looking like a good weapon
griffiths - not been living up to the great expectations, but really enjoy watching him play, hes what we need, a livewire.
ozzy - poor start but has turned into a valuable asset for us

i think the majority of players there could turn out to be good footballers given the right guidance, heres hoping.:flag:

Andy74
07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd look at it more in terms of which players have been better than we had.

For me that comes down to O'Connor and he wasn't really one from CCs list. Maybe Osbourne too could prove to be better than we had.

Divis and Vaz Te came and went with little impact.

Thornhill, Scott, Sodje and Palsson can't establish themselves.

O'Hanlon has been pretty average.

Towell isn't any better than Wotherspoon at right back, might be okay in midfield.

Sproule has been average and Griffiths isn't too bad but not really making the impact I thought he would.

Agogo a poor start but looks not too bad. Better than we had though?

I think it's a bit of a myth he has signed well, the results certainly haven't shown that and a number of them can't get much of a game.

rj hibs
07-11-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd agree with you, Calderwood's signings were decent with the exception of O'Hanlon who is just not a good footballer at all. His ability is reminiscent of somebody such as Ross Tokely

Franck Stanton
07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

For me that comes down to O'Connor and he wasn't really one from CCs list. Maybe Osbourne too could prove to be better than we had.

Towell isn't any better than Wotherspoon at right back, might be okay in midfield.

Sproule has been average and Griffiths isn't too bad but not really making the impact I thought he would.

I think it's a bit of a myth he has signed well, the results certainly haven't shown that and a number of them can't get much of a game.

Have to agree with your assessment Andy, good players don't rely on guidance from managers.

H18sry
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
To be fair to calderwood, he has brought a few good players to the club, cant think of an horror show of a signing, even though their form is not exactly inspiring.

Thornhill - thought he was a goodd player, kept things tidy, think once he comes back to full fitness could be a decent player
Palsson - great start, fell away a wee bit and had completely lost form, but there is a footballer in there somewhere, hence why he played for liverpool and is part of that talented u-21 iceland squad
Sodje - Think this was one of his better signings, not the greatest footballer but was exactly what we needed last term
Scott - hes not the greatest player, has a few off games but i quite like him, gives it his all, decent squad player
agogo - despised him at the start, but hes coming onto a game and looking like a good weapon
griffiths - not been living up to the great expectations, but really enjoy watching him play, hes what we need, a livewire.

i think the majority of players there could turn out to be good footballers given the right guidance, heres hoping.:flag:
:shocked: He ia our answer to Colin Murdoch :faint:

Beefster
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
O'Connor and Osbourne are the only ones that I'd be desperate to keep.

tamig
07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Agree with most of that. Its a shame Thornhill hasn't really stayed fit for any length of time. Think he and Osborne together in the middle could really get things going. Hopefully with the right manager Palsson can get back to somewhere near what he showed in his first few games. Still think O'Hanlon should be showing much more. I'd be expecting more leadership from him but it isn't there yet. Agogo should be up front with GO'C imo. A good partnership was forming then he pulled Agogo back to midfield to accommodate Griffiths - who could be a player but has blown hot and cold so far.

Think these guys are all improvements on what was here before.

Tyler Durden
07-11-2011, 07:03 PM

I think if you take GOC and Riordan out of the equation, Sodje, Griffiths and Agogo are definitely better than Nish, Trakys and Duffy.

In terms of midfielders, I would agree, Osbourne is the only one who seems to have established himself.

Defenders - did Calderwood sign any???? I thought that would've been his main strength when he got the job, it might be dull football but we'd be solid at the back. If only! Surely the new manager will identify that as the main priority.

Albion Hibs
07-11-2011, 07:29 PM

I would agree with you. I think CC had the eye for a good player, especially those he was able to bring in over the summer who have looked very good of late. This adds to the disappointment of the board wetting themselves in advance of tomorrow and getting rid of CC.

What is even more interesting is how several of them stated it was CC that made them chose coming to easter road. I would think we have little to no chance of keeping them following the next window...that will do doubt bring on the brainless sarcastic responses, but it is pretty key in terms of the future of hibs IMO.

However, they have done it now. We have circa 750-1000 more people on here tonight, which says a lot, I wonder if we will have 1000 more for saturdays fixture?

Sammy7nil
07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I would agree with you. I think CC had the eye for a good player, especially those he was able to bring in over the summer who have looked very good of late. This adds to the disappointment of the board wetting themselves in advance of tomorrow and getting rid of CC.

What is even more interesting is how several of them stated it was CC that made them chose coming to easter road. I would think we have little to no chance of keeping them following the next window...that will do doubt bring on the brainless sarcastic responses, but it is pretty key in terms of the future of hibs IMO.

However, they have done it now. We have circa 750-1000 more people on here tonight, which says a lot, I wonder if we will have 1000 more for saturdays fixture?

If you did not have over 1500 posts I would say your comments were a wind up :rolleyes:

SteveHFC
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Thornhill - Decent
Scott - Decent
Palsson - Decent
Towell - Decent
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - Decent

O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - Good
O'Hanlon - Still to prove me
Agogo - Still to prove me
Osbourne - Good
Griffiths - Good

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-11-2011, 08:25 PM
If we lost them all, bar Osbourne, I wouldn't be too fussed. Ozzy has shown signs of genuine quality.

Alfred E Newman
07-11-2011, 08:34 PM

That list underlines why he has just received his jotters. As Pat Stanton said today, too many players have been signed that are quite simply not good enough.

tamig
07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
That list underlines why he has just received his jotters. As Pat Stanton said today, too many players have been signed that are quite simply not good enough.

Aye, Pat did a great job when he was in charge right enough. So what's your assessment of the players on the list then? Do you rate any of them?

MotherSuperior
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Ozzy is quality!

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
If we lost them all, bar Osbourne, I wouldn't be too fussed. Ozzy has shown signs of genuine quality.

I agree, been really disappointed with Griffiths. Sproule is just as headless as his last stint, just a little less quick off the mark, Palsson had obviously succumbed to the glittering Edinburgh nightlife and Garry has scored goals but his first touch is rank rotten, it always has been. I am unsure if his heart is in it as well!!
Must admit, I hated Agogo but he has been looking good, neat touch and looks a clever footballer, i.e. bringing others into play etc.
Whoever comes in needs to address our lack of width... it has given us no shape over the years!! two wingers please!!! or start playing young Booth wide left!!! then that leaves us with a wide right player to find.

Booth Osbourne Spoony A.N Other
Sodje O'Connor

Obviously, i would pick our current defense, maybe another CH to replace O'Headless.

Andy74
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Oh dear.

IWasThere2016
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Thornhill - Decent
Scott - Decent
Palsson - Decent
Towell - Decent
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - Decent

O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - Good
O'Hanlon - Still to prove me
Agogo - Still to prove me
Osbourne - Good
Griffiths - Good

Best assessment so far IMHO.

smurf
07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Best assessment so far IMHO.

You think Scott is "Decent"?

bingo70
07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Thornhill - Poor
Scott - Poor
Palsson - Poor
Towell - average
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - did a job
O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - not impressed
O'Hanlon - awful
Agogo - terrible start but getting better
Osbourne - Good, been impressed
Griffiths - Dissapointed, has potential but nowhere near as good as some making him out to be, would drop him for Sodje, least Sodje scored goals when he played every week.

IMO that's based on their performances in competitive games, likes of Thornhill and Pallson are probably decent players with potential but until they can do it in the first team then they can't be considered 'good'.

sleeping giant
07-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Horses for courses. He's a decent squad player.

Ozbourne , Garry and Griffiths get pass marks. Maybe Sproule too.

O'Hanlon is murder. I agree with the poster earlier , he is PC Murdoch. I still find it hard to believe that this was one of CC's flagship signings. He said he tried to sign him before and had his eye on him for a while !!! He's utter mince

Andy74
07-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Thornhill - Poor
Scott - Poor
Palsson - Poor
Towell - average
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - did a job
O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - not impressed
O'Hanlon - awful
Griffiths - Dissapointed, has potential but nowhere near as good as some making him out to be, would drop him for Sodje, least Sodje scored goals when he played every week.

IMO that's based on their performances in competitive games, likes of Thornhill and Pallson are probably decent players with potential but until they can do it in the first team then they can't be considered 'good'.

Yep.

The Voice Of Reason
07-11-2011, 09:36 PM

Was about to post the same myself ! :agree:

Septimus
08-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I watch Hibs on the rather poor quality broadcast that is Hibernian TV. Maybe there is something I am missing about Ivan but, to me, he has been a sheer waste of time since he returned.

There is far too much harking back to the imagined brilliance of yesterday on this board. The manager we sign must have an ability to bring boys through to fill the first team ranks. I cannot believe that there are no boys wanting to play for Hibs in the surrounding area. We need someone who can channel that want into a disciplined, hard working ethic and to somehow offer proof that this will work in the long run.

There is ample time to be a playboy after the football career is over and the adulation of "legends" does not stop just because they no longer appear on the big stage.

How are we scouting the Edinburgh area? How are we encouraging the local youth set up? Is there a policy of education within the ranks? and lastly Is East Mains a good idea? I assume there that our youth players rub shoulders with the "stars" of yesterday. The night clubbers, the drinkers, the drug addicts, the addicted gamblers. This being the case there is no future for our club.

Nailrod
08-11-2011, 06:19 AM
I would agree with you. I think CC had the eye for a good player, especially those he was able to bring in over the summer who have looked very good of late. I realise that some posters on the board are mates with people around the club and feel the need to defend them no matter what - Andy74's championing of AO'B, the second most useless footballer I've ever seen at ER, being a good example. But are you Calderwood's Maw or something?

Our team 'has looked very good of late'? Has 'looked very good'? We have won precisely one of our last six games, and we've failed to score in four of them. If that looks very good to you, what in the name of Christ would 'bad' look like? Bottom of the First Division? Or would that look 'very good' too, as long as Calderwood was still in charge?

Are you actually a long-term, deep Kickback plant? If so, you're a pretty sad individual. 1500 posts is an awful lot of time wasted for no other purpose than to wind up the neighbours.

Beefster
08-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Oh dear.

I tend to ignore the poster-in-question's posts now or take them as what I think they are - trolling of the highest order. It's better for my blood pressure and means I don't spent all my time on here telling him he's talking ***** and dealing with his thing of making up arguments based on something you didn't say.

Danderhall Hibs
08-11-2011, 07:06 AM
I think Scott’s getting a bit of a hard time on here – he’s not a silky footballer but he’s the type of player we need in the middle of the park. He’ll tackle and chase all day – you can’t have a team of fancy footballers. I don’t think he’s been given enough of a chance in the centre of the park – he was always shunted out wide.

BTW a few folk have said Divis is/was rubbish – how many times did you see him play?

bingo70
08-11-2011, 07:15 AM
I think Scott’s getting a bit of a hard time on here – he’s not a silky footballer but he’s the type of player we need in the middle of the park. He’ll tackle and chase all day – you can’t have a team of fancy footballers. I don’t think he’s been given enough of a chance in the centre of the park – he was always shunted out wide.

BTW a few folk have said Divis is/was rubbish – how many times did you see him play?

I put him down as poor as he's not even been able to break into that first team so he can't be considered a good signing. Same applies to Divis, can't be considered a good signing as he wasn't able to prove he was worth a longer term contract.

Andy74
08-11-2011, 07:16 AM
I realise that some posters on the board are mates with people around the club and feel the need to defend them no matter what - Andy74's championing of AO'B, the second most useless footballer I've ever seen at ER, being a good example. But are you Calderwood's Maw or something?

Our team 'has looked very good of late'? Has 'looked very good'? We have won precisely one of our last six games, and we've failed to score in four of them. If that looks very good to you, what in the name of Christ would 'bad' look like? Bottom of the First Division? Or would that look 'good' too, as long as Calderwood was still in charge?

Are you actually a long-term, deep Kickback plant? If so, you're a pretty sad individual. 1500 posts is an awful lot of time invested for no other purpose than to wind up the neighbours.

Oi! AOB just needed time. :greengrin

IWasThere2016
08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Thornhill - Poor
Scott - Poor
Palsson - Poor
Towell - average
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - did a job
O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - not impressed
O'Hanlon - awful

You should be worried - the Alan O'Brien Fan Club agrees with you :greengrin

Nailrod
08-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Oi! AOB just needed time. :greengrin

How much time? Where is he now, and how's he doing. :wink:

By the way, when Mark McGhee is announced as Hibs' new manager, I'll find myself in a similar position...:worried:

The Sea-gull
08-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Thornhill - Had a couple of decent games after a slow start. Gets injured. People forget about him for a while and then when team is not playing well talk about him as if he is going to come back and be this player we are missing in midfield. Comes back from injury, has good pre-season. Starts season poorly. Gets injured. People forget about him for a while and then when team is not playing well talk about him as if he is going to come back and be this player we are missing in midfield. Pattern emerging here.
Scott - At best committed and capable. At worst a reckless liability.
Palsson - Looked good in first few games but now think that was due to midfield having been so poor previous to his arrival. Been really poor this season.
Towell - Mixed bag.
Divis - Waste of a wage.
Sodje - Awkward player but can cause problems. Hasn't really been given a chance this season.
Vaz Te - Was always going to flatter to deceive but thought he might have been a useful option in the squad.
O'Connor - Done really well at first but as I thought he might, has struggled to keep up his form due to fitness, the dross he is surrounded by and his off-field issues. Not a CC signing IMHO.
Sproule - Same as he always was. His feet work quicker than his brain but he can make things happen. Would benefit from better players in midfield. Still has a poor temprement. Not a CC signing IMHO.
O'Hanlon - Exactly as I thought he might be. Has not brought any stability to the defence.
Agogo - When first saw him thought he was horrific but recently has shown signs he can hold the ball up and pass well. Doesn't look like he'll score many though and would be tempted to give Sodje a run instead of him.
Osbourne - Not really noticed him. Tidy enough but doesn't look like he'll take a game by the scruff.
Griffiths - Shown up well in flashes maybe another who would benefit from a better midfield.

All in all, CC's signings have not been great but no need to clear all of them out just because he has gone.

Albion Hibs
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I realise that some posters on the board are mates with people around the club and feel the need to defend them no matter what - Andy74's championing of AO'B, the second most useless footballer I've ever seen at ER, being a good example. But are you Calderwood's Maw or something?

Our team 'has looked very good of late'? Has 'looked very good'? We have won precisely one of our last six games, and we've failed to score in four of them. If that looks very good to you, what in the name of Christ would 'bad' look like? Bottom of the First Division? Or would that look 'very good' too, as long as Calderwood was still in charge?

Are you actually a long-term, deep Kickback plant? If so, you're a pretty sad individual. 1500 posts is an awful lot of time wasted for no other purpose than to wind up the neighbours.

I have been at every league and cup fixture this season, have you? My view is based on what I have seen, I would be interested to hear what yours is based on.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I have been at every league and cup fixture this season, have you? My view is based on what I have seen, I would be interested to hear what yours is based on.

I have been to or seen most of the games too, and THE TEAM Calderwood has assembled have been far from good. I'd be happy if most of them followed yer dad out the door when their contracts are up, or even January.

There's a reason we are sitting where we are in this league, and it sure as hell aint the fans fault.

Judas Iscariot
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Thornhill - Poor/always injred
Scott - Poor
Palsson - 2 game wonder
Towell - Meh
Divis - Rubbish
Sodje - If he was any good why's he not featuring?

O'Connor - Brilliant
Sproule - Good
O'Hanlon - Very poor mans Rob Jones
Agogo - Poor
Osbourne - Good
Griffiths - Good

Overall a pretty bad record, less than half his signings are any use or better than we had IMO

Cropley10
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I tend to ignore the poster-in-question's posts now or take them as what I think they are - trolling of the highest order. It's better for my blood pressure and means I don't spent all my time on here telling him he's talking ***** and dealing with his thing of making up arguments based on something you didn't say.

Precisely my view too

Albion Hibs
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I have been to or seen most of the games too, and THE TEAM Calderwood has assembled have been far from good. I'd be happy if most of them followed yer dad out the door when their contracts are up, or even January.

There's a reason we are sitting where we are in this league, and it sure as hell aint the fans fault.

The sort of individual you are you could be watching Barca and claiming they are not good enough and should be making there way out of the door.

You were of course the massive promoter for keeping the same back four against Dunfermline, to the extent you were setting up threads for it. Good knowledge and shows a great understanding of the game.

patlowe
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I reckon Osborne has the potential to be star - athletic, confident and no little ability. GOC is obviously a good signing but I don't think CC had to be a managerial genius to work that one out! As for the rest, I honestly think they're all poor but I'd be willing to give another chance to Griffiths and Thornhill (if he ever gets fully fit) . I don't like to criticise specific players but the other guys mentioned are seriously below the level (I hope) we aspire to be at IMO.

GreenPJ
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Divis was effectively an extended trial so see if he would make it and think that was in part because they did not know what Stack was doing at that point in time.
The biggest disappointment has been O'Hanlon, thought he looked decent first game of the season but has gone backwards and is not taking command as we needed him to do.

The rest of the signings would easily be in other SPL squads/first teams and certainly Agogo and Osbourne have an element of technique that some of our other stars(?) lack the problem with Agogo is his brain wants to do things that his legs won't let him anymore.

Palsson needs to remove his head from his posterior and prove if there is something there or not.

hibeedonald
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
If the team played to their full potential, and hopefully they will under our new manager, then I think they will be pretty good.

CC's problem was his selection, tactics and motivation IMO, not his signings.

LALthehibeeGAL
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
If the team played to their full potential, and hopefully they will under our new manager, then I think they will be pretty good.

:agree: 100%

we need someone who will have them working harder not a softie

Lal:wink:

Albion Hibs
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Every person, knowledgeable or not, can have a view on selection and tactics, but out of interest, how do you know he was not a good motivator?

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
The sort of individual you are you could be watching Barca and claiming they are not good enough and should be making there way out of the door.

You were of course the massive promoter for keeping the same back four against Dunfermline, to the extent you were setting up threads for it. Good knowledge and shows a great understanding of the game.

As usual you cant see the wood for the tree's. The back 4 on Saturday were about the only part of the team that might escape any criticism? Ian Murrays replacement probably getting MOM from most fans, not you obviously, but most who open their eyes and actually watch whats happening in front of them.

In fact, Dunfermline had one other chance in the whole 90 minutes, quite decent compared to all the games this season.

KeithTheHibby
08-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Thornhill - I think there is a decent player in there and has looked pretty good when fit.

Scott - been a bit disappointed with him however another one who has played in fits and starts. Is still young and made the jump from SFL to SPL so perhaps struggling to adjust.

Palsson - started extremely well and performs best in central midfield. Perhaps another one who has found first team football more difficult than first anticipated.

Towell - not sure what to make of Towell, average at RB and CM at best.

Divis - pass, I assume he was the keeper who came in and never played.

Sodje - finished the season well and was main striker. He does look very limited though and can understand why he is behind Agogo, GoC and Griffiths for a starting place.

GoC - great start to the season and had it not been for his goals we would have beenb rock bottom. However, has looked off the ball last few games and hasn't looked like scoring at all. Perhaps pending court cases are affecting his performances.

Sproule - has played as often on the left as the right this season. Still an obvious threat as his assists and goals prove. Not sure if he is worthy of a start each week as his defensive game lets him down.

O'Hanlon - thought he may have been the no nonsense CH that we required however is part of a defence that continues to ship easy goals each week. Of course not all the goals are his fault but I am not convinced the defence has improved as a unit with him being part of it.

Agogo - when he first arrived I thought he looked uninterested and unfit however he has probably been one of the better players recently. Has a good touch and vision however needs to be more of a goal threat.

Osbourne - good player and probably CC's best signing. Gets stuck in and doesn't hide.

Griffiths - incredibly hot and cold, more cold though. Was unplayable at Motherwell in the cup yet more often than not doesn't do it when it matters. You can see he is desperate for a goal at ER and perhaps is trying to hard. Young player though and one I would like to see us retain until the end of the season.

Scouse Hibee
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Every person, knowledgeable or not, can have a view on selection and tactics, but out of interest, how do you know he was not a good motivator?

Albion I don't know what you do in life and I don't really care, as a Manager (and no not football before you ask) myself I think I can tell and so can others if my team lacks motivation to perform a certain task!
Would you agree?

Albion Hibs
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
As usual you cant see the wood for the tree's. The back 4 on Saturday were about the only part of the team that might escape any criticism? Ian Murrays replacement probably getting MOM from most fans, not you obviously, but most who open their eyes and actually watch whats happening in front of them.

In fact, Dunfermline had one other chance in the whole 90 minutes, quite decent compared to all the games this season.

Who was at fault for the goal?

Albion Hibs
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Albion I don't know what you do in life and I don't really care, as a Manager (and no not football before you ask) myself I think I can tell and so can others if my team lacks motivation to perform a certain task!
Would you agree?

Thanks for your rather interesting CV, but in your words "I dont really care". I have spoken to more than a few players, all of whom conveyed that he was a very good man manager and motivator. I believe a few of them have come out in the papers over his time at the club and said as much.

So again, I go back to my original point. You dont know. That quite simply is a fact, as a manager you will be focused on assessing the facts and making a decision. You only have one fact to use, and some comments from players in the media and perhaps others on here. I would suggest the "management" decision you have made is based on those facts, is factually incorrect.

MrRobot
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Even though most people seem to want to slate him constantly, I do think Palsson was and will be a good signing. There is deffo talent there, just gotta be managed correctly.

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your rather interesting CV, but in your words "I dont really care". I have spoken to more than a few players, all of whom conveyed that he was a very good man manager and motivator. I believe a few of them have come out in the papers over his time at the club and said as much.

So again, I go back to my original point. You dont know. That quite simply is a fact, as a manager you will be focused on assessing the facts and making a decision. You only have one fact to use, and some comments from players in the media and perhaps others on here. I would suggest the "management" decision you have made is based on those facts, is factually incorrect.

Oh dear, it's not like you to avoid answering a direct question now is it!

If you have been to as many Hibs games as you suggest you would clearly see that motivation is an issue. Perhaps you don't understand motivation, or it's effects?

It's nice to see you have replaced your normal stance of "I've been to every game" or "the OP doesn't understand the game" with "I've spoken to more than a few players" as if to ensure you retain the high ground!

My final point, if that's how our players perform with a very good man manager and motivator then god help us if we ever get a manager without those attributes!!

bingo70
09-11-2011, 08:57 AM

If you have been to as many Hibs games as you suggest you would clearly see that motivation is an issue. Perhaps you don't understand motivation, or it's effects?

It's nice to see you have replaced your normal stance of "I've been to every game" or "the OP doesn't understand the game" with "I've spoken to more than a few players" as if to ensure you retain the high ground!

My final point, if that's how our players perform with a very good man manager and motivator then god help us if we ever get a manager without those attributes!!

Agreed, there's a fine line between being liked and a good man manager. After he was sacked i heard of a story of a current first team player being gutted he was sacked, he knew CC was doing a pish job but he played that player every week.

Another example of this is JC, everyone said he was a 'terrible man manager' yet the likes of Hogg, Stevenson, Mccann, Brown, Fletcher, Benji and Zemmama improved as players under him and have gone backwards since then so hardly the traits of a terrible man manager, although i don't doubt he was an unpopular one.

Sure there's a balance to be had somewhere in the middle but just cos a few players that have been playing pish think he's a dead good man manager it doesn't make it so.

Spike Mandela
09-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Other than the one or two honourable exceptions I don't think there are any positions in the team that a better manager couldn't get better players for.

LincolnshireHib
09-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I have to agree. I think the majority of CC's signings have been decent. If they've tailed off,, many have shown potential that you'd hope a new manager could tap into - Palsson springs to mind, for example. Whoever comes in needs to be willing to work with what there is already there becauseanother overhaul of the squd will be yet another backwoard step before things can move forward. The squad isn't dire, it's just the execution has been lacking.

Albion Hibs
09-11-2011, 11:33 AM

In answering your direct question, no. I had counted on your management / interpretation skills to pick that one up, clearly I was wrong to assume such a thing.

I will move beyond the facts as you are clearly not grassping them.

Let me ask you a question, do you think we are a better team away from home, and if so why?

allezsauzee
09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Even though most people seem to want to slate him constantly, I do think Palsson was and will be a good signing. There is deffo talent there, just gotta be managed correctly.

The fact that he is a much better player than he currently shows is what annoys me most about him! He needs to get over the fact that he's not at Liverpool any longer and get grafting.

superfurryhibby
09-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Aye, Pat did a great job when he was in charge right enough. So what's your assessment of the players on the list then? Do you rate any of them?

Stanton was reduced to signing Graham Harvey from Ormiston juniors and putting him straight into the first team. Another "marquee" signing was Malky Robertson, signed after a chance meeting at Waverley Station.

Calderwood has signed a whole team of players and more. They have largely been journeymen and would be players and the majority have failed to make a great impact. Guys such as McCall, Shields and Lennon have much smaller budgets and seem to be able to build/field teams capable of playing a wee bit football. We are probably as bad as when Hughes left and thus the verdict has to be that Calderwoods signings have largely been failures at Hibs. That's why he was sacked!

Scouse Hibee
09-11-2011, 01:27 PM
In answering your direct question, no. I had counted on your management / interpretation skills to pick that one up, clearly I was wrong to assume such a thing.

I will move beyond the facts as you are clearly not grassping them.

Let me ask you a question, do you think we are a better team away from home, and if so why?

Duh! Yet another one of your posts I haven't grasped eh!!!...............Funny that!

No! Sure you can look at the small difference in points, but my overall opinion is that we've been pretty consistent in our performances this season and not positively consistent!

Oooh I can't wait.

500miles
09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I agree with you regarding Scott. I reckon there's an effective player in him. We push him out wide because of the running he does, but we should be looking to play him in behind the strikers, where he can get shots away, pressurise defenses, as well playing box to box. He's not a player who will be known for his finesse, but he has it in him to cause the opposition lots of problems IMO.

Agogo, who has had a few good performances, would have to be the one to drop out for him. However, if Scott were given the chance, I think he could potentially be more effective.

.Sean.
09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I think Scott’s getting a bit of a hard time on here – he’s not a silky footballer but he’s the type of player we need in the middle of the park. He’ll tackle and chase all day – you can’t have a team of fancy footballers. I don’t think he’s been given enough of a chance in the centre of the park – he was always shunted out wide.BTW a few folk have said Divis is/was rubbish – how many times did you see him play? Quoting a friend who seen him in training each day - 'Divis is pish.' Pointless signing and a waste of a wage when we desperately needed to strengthen in every other department. Good yin Clueless ya dunce.