PDA

View Full Version : What is Our 'Why'?

Speedway
07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Believe it or not, this is a serious question for all posters and serious answers would be appreciated if everyone can resist the temptation to do otherwise (as I often don't)

We know why Hibernian Football Club was founded and we know what the aim of the club is in terms of performance now, but 'why' is Hibernian Football Club?

What I mean is:

1. Why do you as an individual support Hibernian Football Club in 2011?

2. Why is the club in existence, what's it's point, what does it matter if it was allowed to die (again)?

3. Why should this club be supported in preference to any other?

4. What is special about Hibernian Football Club?

5. Why is it important that we see it continue on any level in the future?

Once I have everyone's answers, I'll explain 'why' I asked. Looking forward to reading everyone's responses.

Hibercelona
07-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Believe it or not, this is a serious question for all posters and serious answers would be appreciated if everyone can resist the temptation to do otherwise (as I often don't)

We know why Hibernian Football Club was founded and we know what the aim of the club is in terms of performance now, but 'why' is Hibernian Football Club?

What I mean is:

2. Why is the club in existence, what's it's point, what does it matter if it was allowed to die (again)?

Once I have everyone's answers, I'll explain 'why' I asked. Looking forward to reading everyone's responses.

1. If it wasn't Hibs, it would be another team and somebody could ask me "Why them?"

2. Why is anything in existance, what is the point in anything what so ever? :wink:

3. Why shouldn't it be? Why should any other club be supported in preference to Hibs?

4. Its "our" club. We don't choose to care for it, we just do. Even if we find it difficult to come up with any logical reasoning as to why. If you ask me, thats something mighty special.

5. Because we care for the club. If it ceased to exist in the future, then Hibs fans would be no more. Then what would we turn our attention to?

I realize most of these answers arent what you would call "direct answers". But I can't really think of a direct way of answering them.

Dan Sarf
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

What I mean is:

1. I chose it as my team when I was about seven years old. You can't change that kind of thing.
2. It provides us with a brief escape from every-day reality. We live in hope.
3. It has always aspired to play the beautiful game (and sometimes achieves it).
4. See 3.
5. See 2.

Speedway
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Great, 'always aspired to play the beautiful game'. Perfect.

Now, in addition to the original questions, if we chose to support Hibs, why did we choose Hibs?

MartinfaePorty
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
1 - My family have been Hibs supporters for almost, if not over, 100 years, so it comes with the territory and I have been Hibs-daft since i can remember. It's also an opportunity to meet up with mates (this has gradually become more important than the game, as we've got steadily worse).

2 - History/people/community/entertainment(!) - everything that previous generations paid for/put their lives into would be lost. Plus, we've suffered enough, so the younger generation should take their turn!

3 - Like to think part of the previous answer. Personally, I'd like to think the club still has a certain 'uniqueness' that makes us different to other teams, although this has become harder as times change.

4 - See 2 and 3.

5 - For all the supporters who have gone, are still here or will become fans in the future. There is often no rhyme nor reason to supporting a club, you just do!

Future17
07-11-2011, 12:59 PM

I love football and I think it's important to have "your club" who you support so you can understand football from that perspective. I was raised as Hibernian fan by my Dad and, as with anything, if you care about something for long enough you'll probably always care about it.

Good question. I think the answer to this question is constantly evolving.

I think the Club exists to represent its supporters, both on the football pitch and in the community. To compete in competition and to win trophies. To develop excellent young players and retain them at the Club. To varying extents - to represent the culture and history the Club shares with Scotland, Leith and Eire.

I'll come back to the rest later.

littleplum
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
"The Rose is without 'why'; she blooms, because she blooms."

Angelus Silesius

:wink:

zlatan
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Brainwashed at a young age by my father

I hate my father

I hate my father

I hate my father

I hate my father

PatHead
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM

What I mean is:

1. Why do you as an individual support Hibernian Football Club in 2011? Was brought up during Turnbull's Tornadoes in the East Side of Edinburgh, family history of Hibs involvement

2. Why is the club in existence, what's it's point, what does it matter if it was allowed to die (again)? By definition a club is an organization composed of people who voluntarily meet on a regular basis for a mutual purpose. It is the social aspect that attracts me, this involves meeting family and friends. The football whilst the purpose is not the be all and end all. To me it would matter if it was allowed to die again.

3. Why should this club be supported in preference to any other? They were my local team helping me to associate with my local community

4. What is special about Hibernian Football Club? Being surprised and delighted about the occassional highs of the football. Up until a couple of years ago the bond between all supporters

5. Why is it important that we see it continue on any level in the future? To continue to represent the people on the east side of Edinburgh.
To help bond a spirit through like minded people in our community

As above or it's an illness

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I was out with my old man for a few pints on Saturday night and we pretty much ran through the questions in the OP word for word. I'll keep the answers to myself for now, but, although my old man would struggle to find ER these days I've never sat and listened to him put into words how much what is happening to Hibs just now is affecting him, it was quite touching, if not a little concerning to hear it. If the people with any influence/input at the club could've heard him, they would know "why Hibs" for my old man! (Oh aye, and me).

Dan Sarf
07-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Now, in addition to the original questions, if we chose to support Hibs, why did we choose Hibs?

The first game I went to, we beat Falkirk 6-1 (Lawrie Reilly got a hat trick, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond got one each, John Fraser got the other). And you have to ask why I choose Hibs? :greengrin

Speedway
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
The first game I went to, we beat Falkirk 6-1 (Lawrie Reilly got a hat trick, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond got one each, John Fraser got the other). And you have to ask why I choose Hibs? :greengrin

Okay, if we're not first generation supporters and follow Hibs by upbringing, why did our fathers/ancestors support Hibs as opposed to any other club?

southern hibby
07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Believe it or not, this is a serious question for all posters and serious answers would be appreciated if everyone can resist the temptation to do otherwise (as I often don't)We know why Hibernian Football Club was founded and we know what the aim of the club is in terms of performance now, but 'why' is Hibernian Football Club?What I mean is:1. Why do you as an individual support Hibernian Football Club in 2011?2. Why is the club in existence, what's it's point, what does it matter if it was allowed to die (again)?3. Why should this club be supported in preference to any other?4. What is special about Hibernian Football Club?5. Why is it important that we see it continue on any level in the future?Once I have everyone's answers, I'll explain 'why' I asked. Looking forward to reading everyone's responses. 1 Always have, always will. Grandfather was a Celtic Fan took me to my first game of footy and we won, supported them ever since.2 It's like a child ( I ) we the fans have helped mould it into what it is today. Still have a long way to go but it's a work in progress.3 You can always get another wife BUT YOU CAN NEVER EVER GET ANOTHER FOOTBALL TEAM. 4 ITS MY TEAM, LIKE MY KIDS. Will always be a part of me.5 See Above.

Dan Sarf
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Okay, if we're not first generation supporters and follow Hibs by upbringing, why did our fathers/ancestors support Hibs as opposed to any other club?

Wouldn't it be mainly geographical?

They didn't have Sky Sports, etc. in those days - where you can now persuade yourself you're a Chelsea fan or follow the Man City millionaires from 400 miles away. So most people went to watch their local team.

There is also the Irish connection, of course (my Dad came from Dublin).

I confess I also sometimes watched Hearts in those days and thought Jimmy Wardaugh was a wonderful player. But the boys in the green were always my team and there was something about Tynecastle and the Hearts fans and the colour of maroon that made me feel a bit queasy. Still does.

joebakerforever
07-11-2011, 02:04 PM
My dad did not have any affiliation to either Edinburgh Club and took me along to both ER & Tynecastle in 1956 when I was seven.

Three reasons why I choose Hibs over Hearts then :-

1. More entertaining football (Hibs were better in attack, Hearts were better in defence).

2. Preferred the Stadium and it's location.

3. Preferred the team bright team colours to the boring maroon jerseys.

That was the basis for my choice and though we still went to see whoever was at home that week, I still felt Hibs were a more exciting proposition and nailed my colours to the mast.

Sadly if I was a seven year old making the choice today, I would have been phoning Childline to complain about my parents inflicting mental cruelty on me by taking me to ER :paranoid:

fatbloke
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM

What I mean is:

1. Because the club have been in my family for 105 years and I still love being a Hibby - it's what I am best known for.
2. Because many many people care for the club and will do their utmost to see it carry on. A focal point for many. See earlier sentences.
3. For me it is knowing that I have been, am and will be part of it.
4. See all previous answers.

GGTTH

Dan Sarf
07-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I think it's all about identity.

You choose a team that fits the way you see yourself. "I appreciate the beautiful game." "I come from Leith." "I'm proud of my Irish heritage." "I'm not a glory hunter (essential for Hibees)." "I've got a good sense of humour (ditto)." "I'm proud to come from a family of Hibs supporters." Etc.

So, your team becomes part of you. As fatbloke said above, "It's what I am best known for."

And if it died, you would lose some of your identity. That's why it is so important that it survives.

Sorry. Am I taking this question too seriously?

gogsy
07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I think it's all about identity.

You choose a team that fits the way you see yourself. "I appreciate the beautiful game." "I come from Leith." "I'm proud of my Irish heritage." "I'm not a glory hunter (essential for Hibees)." "I've got a good sense of humour (ditto)." "I'm proud to come from a family of Hibs supporters." Etc.

So, your team becomes part of you. As fatbloke said above, "It's what I am best known for."

And if it died, you would lose some of your identity. That's why it is so important that it survives.

Sorry. Am I taking this question too seriously?

No

Viva_Palmeiras
08-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Answers below (btw dunno how the thumbs down got in here blummin iPhone again I didn't type it and can't remove it)

Feel there are common themes to all my answers then again probably misinterpreted the questions.
What I mean is:

My family are Leithers. My mates dad took me along and ws hooked. A common sense of identity with other hibees. Couldn't be any other team. Had mates who
Were yams but I was not for turning. Hibs define a huge part of me. When I pop my clogs they'll say I was a Hibs man and proud of it.

Part of my identity would be gone. It's that common identiy again. Were Long suffering but it binds us together And makes us appreciate the good times persevere is an apt term

Traditions values history my local team that my family would talk about - the famous 5
The love of the way in which we try to play the game
The romance
Despite other distractions they are and will always be the only team for me.
We are hardy and enduring a testament to what we fought to preserve in the face of adversity
To let the club die would destroy the hibernian tradition history and spirit. No more what binds families friends and strangers together with a common purpose. To give up would give Mercer a victory/

Bad Martini
08-11-2011, 12:57 AM
why no? :greengrin

Better to be Hibs and **** than a rangers, herts or sellick, yam or celtic and doing well.

Its the right thing tae dae.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

basehibby
08-11-2011, 01:48 AM

What I mean is:

1. Like many fans I started going with my dad and quickly took to the exciting atmosphere (especially when we won!). As the years went by, the more I learnt about the club the more I fell in love with it. We have a history of being underdogs - triumphing over adversity while doing things the right way - on and off the pitch.

2. The club is in existence today because of the efforts of people like Cannon Hannon, Michael Whelehan, Kenny McLean and Tom Farmer. It's there to excite us, entertain us and to let us dream (and hopefully to make them come true once in a while - somewhat more than once every 20 years would great - cheers Sir Tom :pray:)

3. Quite simply cos we are the Hibs :flag:

4. The history and culture outlined above.

5. Because otherwise the forces of darkness will have won and the galaxy will be doomed!

CmoantheHibs
08-11-2011, 05:34 AM
1. My parents had no interest in footy, even though I loved it, but my aunt worked for Hibs and send me Hibs Christmas cards.That was me hooked.Even at the time (i think i was about 4)I remember knowing it was a lifetime decision but had a real happy feeling about my choice.I wasnt really aware of it at the time as we didnt live close to them but most of my family were Hibs supporters too.

2. It is in existance to entertain its supporters.Its still in existance today due mainly to STF and that is a fact that shouldnt be forgotten.I think the people that went through the attempted takeover realised exactly what the club meant to them

3. Its purely a personal choice as to which team you support and every supporter could give you valid reasons as to why you should support their team.For me its the ethics we have as a club and the poineer spirit we have.We arent afraid to try something different.Our history is splattered with things that were firsts for football.We always try to do things in the correct manner both on and off the park.We all like to win but to do it "the Hibs way",with style and flair is so much better and satisfying.

4. As question 3

5. The club has such a rich history and means so much to so many people.I think most supporters would feel like part of their soul was lost if Hibs were no more.We wouldnt be the same people and I dont think most people would be able to completely fill the huge hole that it would leave.Due to our passion for our club we experience such a variety of emotions, at such high levels, that many people wouldnt normally experience.To lose the catalyst for this outpouring of emotion(both happy and sad) would be a great loss in my eyes.

Speedway
08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you for all these contributions.

I'm going to let the thread run 24 hours before summarising what we've identified so far.

SkintHibby
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm not from Edinburgh and a long time ago I decided I wanted to support the biggest non-sectarian football club in the central belt.
So Hibs it was.:agree:

Dinkydoo
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM

It's the only football club I've ever seriously supported. No matter how bad we are I can't pretend that I don't anxiously check for the result week in week out, since I don't get to many games - that is, if I haven't already spent the past 90 minutes listening to the radio or watching the game on tv.

Because I care for the club, it's part of my identity (good point by the way Dan Sarf), Hibernian FC gives me great enjoyment (and great frustration :greengrin).

It has a rich history, non secternian agenda, is the 3rd biggest club in the SPL ( :na na: :jamboak: ) and has always had a obligation to try to play entertaining football.

See 2 & 3

See 2 & 3

Speedway
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
So, if I have read correctly:

1. It is part of our upbringing, we associate with a sense of community cause or purpose.

2. The 'nature' of Hibs is to entertain and play attacking stylish football

3. It's core values resonate with our own.

4. It's earliest social agenda resonates with us

5. It has a special 'spirit' or 'atmosphere'

Is that about right?

Keith_M
08-11-2011, 01:59 PM
It was only one bus journey from Wallyford to Easter Road and supporting any other team would have cost more in bus fares so...........

:greengrin

Oh and all my family (and a lot of mates at Primary School) were Hibs fans so the question never arose. I grew up thinking that all decent people supported Hibs.

basehibby
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM

1. It is part of our upbringing, we associate with a sense of community cause or purpose.

Is that about right?

Not quite you missed out a V important WHY?

2. Why is the club in existence......A - because of the blood sweat and tears given up for it by those that cared about it - that's one reason why our and subsequent generations will NEVER have an excuse for allowing the club to wither on the vine.

Speedway
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Is that about right?

Not quite you missed out a V important WHY?

2. Why is the club in existence......A - because of the blood sweat and tears given up for it by those that cared about it - that's one reason why our and subsequent generations will NEVER have an excuse for allowing the club to wither on the vine.

The past is dead, BH. Why should we not let it wither on the vine now, regardless of what has happened in the past?

basehibby
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=basehibby;2978380]

The past is dead, BH. Why should we not let it wither on the vine now, regardless of what has happened in the past?

The future is built upon the past mate - so in a sense it lives on in a very real way. We look back on the likes of Hannon, Whelehan and McLean with great admiration and they rightly represent something of the spirit and ethos of Hibernian FC.

Any generation that allowed Hibs to die on the vine would rightly be looked back on by future generations denied a Hibs to follow as a bunch of spineless gutless lowlife - personally I don't see myself that way which is as good a reason as any for not allowing it to happen.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Why ? One word. Community. :thumbsup:

Dan Sarf
08-11-2011, 06:22 PM
They’ll turn into your driveway, not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at your door, as innocent as children, longing for the past. “Of course, we won’t mind if you look around,” you’ll say, “It’s only twenty dollars per person.” And they’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they’ll walk off to the bleachers and sit in their short sleeves on a perfect afternoon. And find they have reserved seats somewhere along the baselines where they sat when they were children. And cheer their heroes. And they’ll watch the game, and it’ll be as they’d dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they’ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray. The one constant through all the years Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.

END OF.

Holmesdale Hibs
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM

I support Hibs because my dad does and his dad before him. That's the case with almost all non-glory-hunting fans I know.

My second team is Millwall because they're local to where I live but supporting them isn't the same and I'd consider picking another second team if I move again.

John_the_angus_hibby
08-11-2011, 08:33 PM

1. I know why I started. Took my young son to games with my best mate, who was a fan over 20 years ago and became hooked. Was never passionate about a team before. Bought season tkts, learnt the history, the ambitions and the culture and became identified with it. Hibs became part of who I am. As real as any other part of my life. And as permanent.

2. To give us fans hope and despair in equal amounts! But, the effect of 'those' wonderful generational moments will live with me and us until I and we depart this earth. The why for me, is encapsulated in the memory of singing sunshine on leith at Hamden. That is why hibs exist.

3. Not preference to any other. With no other teams or fans we would not have hibs. For the reasons above Hibs to me are special. I could move and watch another team in a different country, but no team would replace Hibs.

3. The fans, (believe it or not for a miserable bunch!), the hope, the desire for exciting football more than straight measurable success, the history, the famous five...everything about Hibs makes them special.

5. I believe there is a deep consensus in the core and wider fan base that Hibs are about striving for exciting attacking football first and everything else (cup and league placement) second. There is a style which is the Hibs way. We may actually achieve only it for a single season out of 10, but we know it when we see it and it keeps us warm for the other 9.

I love Hibernian Football Club.

Sent from another universe! (Bremen at the mom)