PDA

View Full Version : Man in minority

down-the-slope
06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I for one am sorry the manager has been sacked. While it has been a far from glorious tenure I feel the signs are there of progress (albeit not in the results) in the depth and quality of squad.

I know yesterday was awful (as a ST holder I have endured all the lows) but do we really think another change with dwindling resourses for any new incumbant will make things right?

As I stated on another thread, the players seem to have escaped the responsibility they should be taking in all this.

It is also interesting that its being reported as a sacking and not mutual consent.....this would seem to show the managers comittment was still there....and that Rod is confident of him as a man not to require the the gagging order that has been previous required......:rolleyes:

greenlex
06-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I for one am sorry the manager has been sacked. While it has been a far from glorious tenure I feel the signs are there of progress (albeit not in the results) in the depth and quality of squad.

I know yesterday was awful (as a ST holder I have endured all the lows) but do we really think another change with dwindling resourses for any new incumbant will make things right?

As I stated on another thread, the players seem to have escaped the responsibility they should be taking in all this.

It is also interesting that its being reported as a sacking and not mutual consent.....this would seem to show the managers comittment was still there....and that Rod is confident of him as a man not to require the the gagging order that has been previous required......:rolleyes:
Up until yesterday I was with you. If we can't beat the bottom team whipping boys at home then enough is surely enough. I think there are players that Calderwood has brought in that are good enough and if he can't manage them to perform better than they did yesterday then as I say enough.

Sammy7nil
06-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes you are in a minority of one. :greengrin

There has been NO improvement.

We are a soft touch that other teams can't wait to play, his style of football makes you want to poke your eyes out.

He failed to commit to Hibs when other teams came calling and for me that was the begining of the end,he is not a bad man just a bad manager I wish him well.

I am sure he has been well paid whilst he has failed to deliver time and time again.

duffers
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Up until yesterday I was with you. If we can't beat the bottom team whipping boys at home then enough is surely enough. I think there are players that Calderwood has brought in that are good enough and if he can't manage them to perform better than they did yesterday then as I say enough.

Yip, always wanted him to get going and wanted to give him time but yesterday's result was just awful. They are the games you have to be winning, and quite frankly, 12 wins out of 49 doesn't make great reading.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-11-2011, 08:33 PM
A great deal of this will be opinion, but I actually think we are starting to go backwards and long term we were facing stuffy nil nils and the odd one nil here and there. At the end of his first game at Aberdeen, he said there was a lot of work to do, but I don't see any start to that. The players have a massive part to play, but as the public face of the team, the bridge between the players and fans, he came up short and the main reason for that was self inflicted.

Jonnyboy
06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Never like to see anyone lose their job but it's hardly surprising CC has been emptied. There has been no improvement worth mentioning and no sign of any ever arriving. He had to go before the next window so that the new man gets to spend the £500 in the transfer kitty

Thecat23
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM

12 wins in 49, where was the improvement? Sorry mate but he was a rubbish manager not really much else to add to that. The football under him was terrible.

erskine-hibby
06-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Me too.
:agree:

Thecat23
06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
A great deal of this will be opinion, but I actually think we are starting to go backwards and long term we were facing stuffy nil nils and the odd one nil here and there. At the end of his first game at Aberdeen, he said there was a lot of work to do, but I don't see any start to that. The players have a massive part to play, but as the public face of the team, the bridge between the players and fans, he came up short and the main reason for that was self inflicted.

:top marks

Hibs Class
06-11-2011, 08:47 PM

I'm the same as well. What clinched it for me yesterday was his post-match interview - no fight, no positives, no idea.

coco22
06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
i genuinely believe that a good, no-nonsense manager with a bit of personality and drive can and will get performances out of this squad. the players deserve to be criticised for not being up to scratch on so many occasions but they are definitely under-performing. the new gaffer, whoever he may be, must get in there, rattle their heads together and toughen them up for the rest of a battling season.

Tricla
06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Never like to see anyone lose their job but it's hardly surprising CC has been emptied. There has been no improvement worth mentioning and no sign of any ever arriving. He had to go before the next window so that the new man gets to spend the £500 in the transfer kitty

In regards to your footer. Just been reading some more Einstein quotes here - http://http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/albert_einstein.html

What a guy!

Greentinted
06-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I've pretty much kept my own counsel on Calderwood but he had to go. There was no signs of real improvement and his position had become increasingly untenable. Up until recently I truly felt for the guy on a human level and wanted him to do well, not only for us but for him as well. I thought during the first half in the cup game against Celtic a corner had been turned but alas no, another false dawn and one too many. Better all round he went but the problems remain and we must appoint a manager (or managerial team) who know what's required to get what should be a decent set of players doing what they are payed to do effectively.

coco22
06-11-2011, 08:54 PM
In regards to your footer. Just been reading some more Einstein quotes here - http://http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/albert_einstein.html

What a guy!

despite his lack of spl experience, i think he could do a job for us...:greengrin

Franck Stanton
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Ask youself this - "Are we any better as a team now than we were a year ago?" CC has had 12 months to improve the team/club and IMO hasn't done so. We are actually 1 point worse off now than we were at this time last year. Do we have a better squad ? again just my opinion, but I would have to say , on performances, no we dont. Can you see anything that suggests we will improve soon ? again imo not a chance, CC has shown he cant organise , inspire or even decide on the best 11. As for his replacement - lots of names already being banded about, for me, Michael O'Neil would be worth a shout, Strachan [if he would come, ] and reluctantly JJ as he has a proven record and I think BB 's appointment was to test the water with the support, and is the most likely appointment.

hibsbollah
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Slopey whats your view of Petrie and the rest of the board?

Liberal Hibby
06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I've pretty much kept my own counsel on Calderwood but he had to go. There was no signs of real improvement and his position had become increasingly untenable. Up until recently I truly felt for the guy on a human level and wanted him to do well, not only for us but for him as well. I thought during the first half in the cup game against Celtic a corner had been turned but alas no, another false dawn and one too many. Better all round he went but the problems remain and we must appoint a manager (or managerial team) who know what's required to get what should be a decent set of players doing what they are payed to do effectively.

+1 - I came to this conclusion a few weeks ago when it was clear that despite a basically entirely different team we still could only play for 45 mins in every 180.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
He had to go but, as I've said already in another thread, more people at boardroom level should be announcing their resignation at Tuesday's AGM.

The board have appointed these managers who have consistently failed and they have to take responsibility now for complete and utter failure on the pitch for almost two years now.

Lucius Apuleius
07-11-2011, 05:10 AM

What a guy!

Not read that but did you know he married his cousin aftwer his first marriage ended? Seemingly it was because she was more than amply endowed in the external lung capacity. This is where his theory of relative titty came from.:agree:

hibiedude
07-11-2011, 06:01 AM
All Managers are judged on results and Calderwood had to go but it shouldn't stop just at Him

itchy07
07-11-2011, 06:30 AM

It's ok Colin, just let it go.:wink:

down-the-slope
07-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Slopey whats your view of Petrie and the rest of the board?

They have done miracles with the off field stuff, creating an infastructure and financial model that would have seemed fantasy 20 years ago......

HOWEVER they have also proved that their ability to choose / support / create clear method of operation for sucessive manager/s is flawed in the extreme.

They need outside help in selection and there needs to be transparancy for the fans in exactly where the managers role ends and support staff / Execs begins and the overlap between these.
Issues that have been long running such as player discipline need examining and a code of conduct / club policy in dealing with this put firmly in place (from youth upwards) We have spent more time on the front pages than back pages in recent years and seem to accept behaviour and level of proffesionalism that is out of step with the benefits players receive in return

s.a.m
07-11-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm the same as well. What clinched it for me yesterday was his post-match interview - no fight, no positives, no idea.

While I've never been keen on him, I was of the opinion that stability, and the building of a team, was probably the most important thing and it would be better in the long run to stick with the project. However, as Hibs Class says, that interview was a public admission of inability (or expectation, more worryingly) to get results - now or in the future - and I don't see how Hibs can continue to employ a manager who is telling the fans that he doesn't think he's capable getting results out of the team. Whether he liked it or not (and it looked like he very much didn't), he was the public face of the club as well as its manager, and if doesn't believe the team can do it, why would the team believe they can do it? Or fans buy tickets to watch the team's expected failure?

I'm not saying I thought he was the man for the job before the interview, but I think it made his carrying on as manager completely untenable.He may well be relieved, because he sounded miserable.

The Falcon
07-11-2011, 07:40 AM

The sad thing is the next guy, and the one after him, will not be in post much longer. Year and a half maybe, two seasons tops.

Craig_in_Prague
07-11-2011, 07:47 AM
While I've never been keen on him, I was of the opinion that stability, and the building of a team, was probably the most important thing and it would be better in the long run to stick with the project. However, as Hibs Class says, that interview was a public admission of inability (or expectation, more worryingly) to get results - now or in the future - and I don't see how Hibs can continue to employ a manager who is telling the fans that he doesn't think he's capable getting results out of the team. Whether he liked it or not (and it looked like he very much didn't), he was the public face of the club as well as its manager, and if doesn't believe the team can do it, why would the team believe they can do it? Or fans buy tickets to watch the team's expected failure?

I'm not saying I thought he was the man for the job before the interview, but I think it made his carrying on as manager completely untenable.He may well be relieved, because he sounded miserable.

I think he will be; clearly didn't want to be at the club and was a disastrous appointment from the off.

greenlex
07-11-2011, 08:08 AM
The sad thing is the next guy, and the one after him, will not be in post much longer. Year and a half maybe, two seasons tops.

Let's hope it because they are successful and are off to bigger things.

Baader
07-11-2011, 09:16 AM
The fans cut Calderwood a good deal of slack in my opinion. He lost me in the summer with his antics and I felt he was contemptuous in his treatment of the club and ultimately the fans with his non-committal and his stupid remarks.

Because of this, I don't think I have ever disliked a manager as much as him in the end. Including Duffy.

His appointment and turning down the opportunity to offload him in the summer must rank as two of the worst decisions this club has made in a long, long time.

Andy74
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
When you look at the teams we lost against at home in particular he was on a different planet to previous failures.

Why some still have the opinion that squad has been improved I've no idea, they haven't shown any inkling of that at all.

CCs best result was the 3-0 at Ibrox. He hadn't signed any of them.

Joe Baker II
07-11-2011, 10:32 AM
He had to go but, as I've said already in another thread, more people at boardroom level should be announcing their resignation at Tuesday's AGM.

The board have appointed these managers who have consistently failed and they have to take responsibility now for complete and utter failure on the pitch for almost two years now.

Agree if there are no officials willing to accept culpability (not just Petrie btw) for other problems at hibs changing manager (though he probably had to go after Saturday) an irrelevance.

euro Hibby
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I think Sir Alex Fergusons win rate at Man utd was about 25/27 % in his first seasons at the club.

Obviously they kept him because they saw improvements in other areas of the club........youth
development and cleaning out the slackers. For me calderwood was a bad choice from day 1. If
anyone remembers A regulator denounced him immediately !
Personally, I think he seemed a nice guy, but like others, the last result and the after match interview
just proved he needed to go.

HibsMax
07-11-2011, 11:15 AM

I always wanted to give him until Christmas but I'm not sure that would have made any difference. I wanted him to succeed because I want Hibs to succeed and shake this constant transition. I also agree that the players have escaped since all blame has been aimed at CC one way or another. The loss against Dunfermline was awful but from what I saw it was because many players had shocking games - lots of bad individual performances.

A fresh start is upon us. Let the countdown start now. Good luck to Colin and the next guy.

Dinkydoo
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
I too, like others, wanted to give him until xmas - providing that there was sustained improvement along the way.

We did improve however it was a case of one step forward, two steps back imo.

We'd have a decent game - or one where we'd at least fought back for a draw; almost rectifying the mistakes earlier in the match - and then put in a terrible performance the following weekend; showing that any percieved improvement the week before was simply a misrepresentation of where we as a team were at.

I don't know what the root cause of the problems at ER are; incorrect attitude, lack of leadership/motivation, not a lot of talent throughout the squad (FWIW though, I don't think this is the case) but they have been around for a while now - certainly before CC took up the managerial hotseat.

Simply put, 12 months is too long to spend going nowhere, CC had to go.

IWasThere2016
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
When you look at the teams we lost against at home in particular he was on a different planet to previous failures.

Why some still have the opinion that squad has been improved I've no idea, they haven't shown any inkling of that at all.

CCs best result was the 3-0 at Ibrox. He hadn't signed any of them.

Or Inverness (a) or St Mirren (a)? When did we do that last again?

Personally, I think what is REALLY telling is the away form is better than the home. Too many at ER to launch abuse at the team IMHO.

Stevie Reid
07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I think Sir Alex Fergusons win rate at Man utd was about 25/27 % in his first seasons at the club.

Obviously they kept him because they saw improvements in other areas of the club........youth
development and cleaning out the slackers. For me calderwood was a bad choice from day 1. If
Personally, I think he seemed a nice guy, but like others, the last result and the after match interview

Not even close.

Ferguson's league record up from his appointment in November 1986 to the end of the 1989-90 season when they won their first trophy under him was: -

P 145 W 60 D 43 L 42

That is a win ration of 41%.

Calderwood's loss ratio was 53%

Danderhall Hibs
07-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Personally, I think what is REALLY telling is the away form is better than the home. Too many at ER to launch abuse at the team IMHO.

I agree but I also think it could be that he didn't get his tactics right for the home matches.

I'm sure the players don't look forward to playing at ER though, there are a lot of folk who just go to moan at players no matter what.

Andy74
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Yes, those were decent, isolated results.

Both games we rode our luck and held out or hit late which you can do away from home without the pressure to be on the front foot, which we evidently can't do with any success.

euro Hibby
07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I had said the first two seasons. I saw a graph the other day on BBC football and the figures were different but I could also be mistaken !

Stevie Reid
07-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Not even close.

Ferguson's league record up from his appointment in November 1986 to the end of the 1989-90 season when they won their first trophy under him was: -

P 145 W 60 D 43 L 42

That is a win ration of 41%.

Calderwood's loss ratio was 53%

I had said the first two seasons. I saw a graph the other day on BBC football and the figures were different but I could also be mistaken !

You said 'first seasons' - regardless, if you meant the first two seasons, his win ratio was actually 49%.

Caroline Hibby
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I expected him to be given until Christmas, but given the overall hostility towards him he would needed to have won the next 10 games to have stood a chance of long term survival. A new manager will almost certainly give everyone a lift, but if the first few results don't go our way then we're back on the same ' ........ must go' wheel. The timing stinks. Same as last time, we let the manager create his own squad then empty him. Looking back CC never had a chance after the summer debacle and probably has himself to blame. I for one am only interested in results and performances so if we were improving I'm not really interested in what might have happened re Forest or Birmingham. But there were no real shoots of recovery although I felt we looked better away from home than at home where we panicked all too quickly. I feel for CC in that the squad he inherited was awful. The one he leaves I think is better, although there are a few that I'd be happy to let go. Hart, Hanlon and Galbraith for starters. Anyway, what's done is done, but the Board have a lot to answer for I feel.

down-the-slope
07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
it seems that there is not a huge amount of expectation that things will get beter quickly ..... but most agreeing change was needed.....
:rolleyes:

hardly a great situation....

heretoday
07-11-2011, 08:34 PM
The away form was pretty good! Playing at home Hibs looked scared. The manager looked scared too on occasion. Not a good sign.