PDA

View Full Version : Current managers out of work who may be realistic targets

Earl of Currie
06-11-2011, 08:08 PM
A few more experienced names to be chucked into the ring , all out of work and all have had a decent record

Walter Smith
Steve Nicol
Peter Reid
Dave Jones
Kevin Blackwell

Still think Michael O'Neill will be the favourite , but there is a lot of experience in the names above

IberianHibernian
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Not sure if realistic but Brian Kerr is leaving Faroes job .

greenlex
06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Not sure if realistic but Brian Kerr is leaving Faroes job .

Will anyone notice?:greengrin

Greenheart
06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
A few more experienced names to be chucked into the ring , all out of work and all have had a decent record

Walter Smith
Steve Nicol
Peter Reid
Dave Jones
Kevin Blackwell

Still think Michael O'Neill will be the favourite , but there is a lot of experience in the names above

Walter Smith retired he's not out of work. What about Gordon Stachan?

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Walter Smith
Steve Nicol
Peter Reid
Dave Jones
Kevin Blackwell

You seriously think that WS is a realistic target?

Albion Hibs
06-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Walter Smith
Steve Nicol
Peter Reid
Dave Jones
Kevin Blackwell

I dont think any of those are realistic. Ask yourself why would any of them take the hibs job?

RickyS
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I dont think any of those are realistic. Ask yourself why would any of them take the hibs job?

why not? all of them have no job therefore no income, remember Craig Levein took the Raith job to re-prove himself? never done him any harm.

KiddA
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
http://www.leaguemanagers.com/index.html

Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Gary McAlister

To name a few that are available :wink:

I would like http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/history-315.html but I may be living in a world of make believe :agree:

Kaiser1962
06-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Gary McAlister

Paul Ince has applied before.

RickyS
06-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Gary McAlister

Paul Ince? was he not close before?

greenlex
06-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Gary McAlister

I would like http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/history-315.html but I may be living in a world of make believe :agree:

Have any of these guys had decent managerial appointments in the past where you would consider them a success even for a short period of time?

Albion Hibs
06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
why not? all of them have no job therefore no income, remember Craig Levein took the Raith job to re-prove himself? never done him any harm.

So money. The job element wont apply to some of them as they are retired. How many of them are not millionaires / very wealthy wearby they would need the money? Walter, Stachan, Reid come straight out, if not I would suggest they could all get more money in other divisions. In addition they will be getting better money working on TV for none of the hassle. So I dont think money is a driver.Billy Davies has been a successful championship manager that has managed in the premiership, he could get a number of jobs before coming to the SPL - if players would not do it, why would managers?

Levein took the raith job for about 5 mins if my memory served me correctly and he did not even sign a contract. In addition are you happy that our next manager stays for 12 months the uses us to move on?

Lets be honest out with ex players our managers have been aspirational assistants. It is all fair and well to say that is where it has gone wrong, but lets be honest, do you think there is enough money in the bank to be securing a big name, not that they would come in any event IMO.

RickyS
06-11-2011, 10:32 PM
So money. The job element wont apply to some of them as they are retired. How many of them are not millionaires / very wealthy wearby they would need the money? Walter, Stachan, Reid come straight out, if not I would suggest they could all get more money in other divisions. In addition they will be getting better money working on TV for none of the hassle. So I dont think money is a driver.Billy Davies has been a successful championship manager that has managed in the premiership, he could get a number of jobs before coming to the SPL - if players would not do it, why would managers?

Levein took the raith job for about 5 mins if my memory served me correctly and he did not even sign a contract. In addition are you happy that our next manager stays for 12 months the uses us to move on?

Lets be honest out with ex players our managers have been aspirational assistants. It is all fair and well to say that is where it has gone wrong, but lets be honest, do you think there is enough money in the bank to be securing a big name, not that they would come in any event IMO.

was Peter Reid at Plymouth for the love of the game? also surely even CC had amassed a fair few quid in recent years and was probably not worried about the next phone bill. Im reasonably sure that most of the pundits would leave that for a job in football. ie John Robertson who drives from Inverness to Fife most days

Musselbound
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Jim Jeffries and Jimmy calderwood still out of work if anyone needs reminding.:greengrin

How about Sean O'Driscoll?

iwasthere1972
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM

I can only remember him for one thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCHPEwyd9E

47 seconds

Albion Hibs
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
was Peter Reid at Plymouth for the love of the game? also surely even CC had amassed a fair few quid in recent years and was probably not worried about the next phone bill. Im reasonably sure that most of the pundits would leave that for a job in football. ie John Robertson who drives from Inverness to Fife most days

Thanks, you are kind of proving my point, CC was an assistant looking to move into management, something none of the managers quoted are. In addition I think you will find there is a bit of a difference between what 810mw and Sky Sports pays!

You never said whether or not you would be happy for a hypothetical big name to come in for a year then leave?

I think if you want a realistic idea of who will be applying and considered look at the names that were in the frame for the St Johnstone managers post. I did not see Walter, Strach, Reid, Jones being photographed in reception with their CV's laminated and clutched in their hand. It is just not realistic.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks, you are kind of proving my point, CC was an assistant looking to move into management, something none of the managers quoted are. In addition I think you will find there is a bit of a difference between what 810mw and Sky Sports pays!

You never said whether or not you would be happy for a hypothetical big name to come in for a year then leave?

I think if you want a realistic idea of who will be applying and considered look at the names that were in the frame for the St Johnstone managers post. I did not see Walter, Strach, Reid, Jones being photographed in reception with their CV's laminated and clutched in their hand. It is just not realistic.

CC has been a manager since 2003 at Northampton and Forest so hardly only an assistant moving into his first management job now was he!

As for the St J job, you have absolutely no idea who applied or who was considered for the job, I don't recall any club holding a press call for applicants to attend and be photographed!

I don't really see why you're too bothered who it is to be honest, after all it's all down to the fans in your mind.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Csaba Lazslo is out of work and lives in Edinburgh.

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 09:11 AM

If that's the only criteria then so are lots of people. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
07-11-2011, 09:11 AM

Csaba Lazslo should stay out of work

PISTOL1875
07-11-2011, 09:18 AM
None of those targets are pretty realisitic to be honest..

How about names like Jimmy Calderwood or Mark McGhee ?? Those names have a better chance of getting the job..

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM

How about names like Jimmy Calderwood or Mark McGhee ?? Those names have a better chance of getting the job..

You are joking. They would be right at the bottom of my choice of candidates.

PISTOL1875
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
You are joking. They would be right at the bottom of my choice of candidates.

They do have a better chance of getting the job than the names in the opening post...

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
They do have a better chance of getting the job than the names in the opening post...

I agree with you on that but even Rod wouldn't be silly enough to appoint either of them. Would he? Maybe he will take a vote at the AGM tomorrow and let the fans decide. That way if it goes breasts up then he can boo us and make abusive posts on Hibs.net and the Bounce.

PISTOL1875
07-11-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree with you on that but even Rod wouldn't be silly enough to appoint either of them. Would he? Maybe he will take a vote at the AGM tomorrow and let the fans decide. That way if it goes breasts up then he can boo us and make abusive posts on Hibs.net and the Bounce.

Well look at it this way.. Both guys can work on a budget.. JC done well at Dunfermline and at Aberdeen but his last season there wasn't the best though..

McGhee worked miracles at Motherwell but he blew it at Aberdeen due to the fact he publically said that the Celtic job was his preferred option..

Also , both are out of work just now which would be good for RP or whoever appoints him....

Speedway
07-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Can you imagine if Tango or Muttley Magoo got it?

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Well look at it this way.. Both guys can work on a budget.. JC done well at Dunfermline and at Aberdeen but his last season there wasn't the best though..

McGhee worked miracles at Motherwell but he blew it at Aberdeen due to the fact he publically said that the Celtic job was his preferred option..

Also , both are out of work just now which would be good for RP or whoever appoints him....

Budgets are okay when they work but they are having a negative effect on both the product on the pitch and the dwindling attendances. I'm not saying follow the Hearts motto and spend excessively but it's time that the board took a little gamble and signed players who are proven and who will get bums back on seats.

Fed up turning up at Easter Road to watch dross just to balance the books.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Mark McGhee would be a very unpopular choice. Although all appointments are important, the next choice that RP makes is the most critical. Whereas Mowbray looked to be an inspired choice in hindsight, the rest since then, have not worked out long term for a variety of reasons. The support badly need a lift and names like McGhee and Jimmy Calderwood won't do it.

J-C
07-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok so we have

JC
Yogi
Tangoman
Magoo
Strachan
Michael O'Neil ( still to sign a new contract )
Walter Smith
Steve Nicol
Peter Reid
Dave Jones
Kevin Blackwell
Paul Ince
Roy Keane
Gary McAlister

If we can't get a decent manager from that lot, then times are bad, personally wee Gordon or MON for me.

NOLA
07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Shabba Lazlo - any reason why he would be a guest of the directors on saturday? scouting role? :dunno:

CyberSauzee
07-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Jeffries favourite with O'Neill at Stan James. Jim Gannon's quoted at 33/1 with Paddy Power. If he's appointed it will be totally leftfield - no-one would see that coming. Sex Pistols drummer also in there, but could he sort out the Anarchy at East Mains?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/hibernian-specials/next-permanent-manager

Moulin Yarns
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Remember that the two most successful managers (in terms of keeping us moaning gits happy) we have had in recent times had no managerial experience. I give you Tony Mowbray and John Collins, so i would not be surprised if the next manager is in the same mould, young, ambitious and with a willingness to take on a challenge, rather than the experienced but out of work type that is being mentioned on all the various threads.

IMHO of course. :wink:

PISTOL1875
07-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Gary Bollan from 12's to 8s..

Tangoman in from 14s to 8s..

Interesting....

Graham Law
07-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Like you would know ?

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Shabba Lazlo - any reason why he would be a guest of the directors on saturday? scouting role? :dunno:

Directors were having a meeting. Shabby was there to take the minutes.

NYHibby
07-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Last year I posted that I would like to see Steve Nicol come here, but I don't think it is likely. While he is recently unemployed, I'm sure he will be able to get better jobs in either the US or England than ours.

Betty Boop
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Chris Sutton.

iwasthere1972
07-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Interesting....

Father Christmas 25's to 12's (He knows what it takes to get the sack)
Donald Duck 100's to 50's (Already wrote a wee ditty for when he takes a roasting and burns out)
The Tooth Fairy now outright favourite at 2/5 (Extract what you want from that)
Winner of the X Factor 2011 17/2 (Apparently got I Love Hibs tattooed on his bum cheeks)

Updates to follow.

RickyS
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Like you would know ?

do i know you?

Albion Hibs
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
CC has been a manager since 2003 at Northampton and Forest so hardly only an assistant moving into his first management job now was he!

As for the St J job, you have absolutely no idea who applied or who was considered for the job, I don't recall any club holding a press call for applicants to attend and be photographed!

I don't really see why you're too bothered who it is to be honest, after all it's all down to the fans in your mind.

So you think Walter Smith, Peter Reid, Gordon Strachen, and Dave Jones are realistic targets for Hibs?

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
So you think Walter Smith, Peter Reid, Gordon Strachen, and Dave Jones are realistic targets for Hibs?

Yes, let's show some ambition, loosen the purse strings and go for a big name. :agree:

erin go bragh
07-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Interesting....

Pretty sure Jim Gannon`s odds went from 16s to 6/4 the last time we were looking for a manager.

GGTTH

Albion Hibs
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, let's show some ambition, loosen the purse strings and go for a big name. :agree:

Loosen the purse strings for the managers wage, most likely his own assitants, scouts and then of course the type of players and wage that he will look to be offer.....into the millions.

I think we need to remember that even if Rod was chocking on spending as much money as possible, we are a business that will have a debt facility with a lender, they will have a criteria and I am sure if we turned up and asked for millions against a fading revenue they would laugh us out of town....and I dont think the "speculate to accumulate" line will work. We have all had a good laugh at what is going on over the road over the last week, so to suggest following them to any extreme is unwanted IMO.

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Loosen the purse strings for the managers wage, most likely his own assitants, scouts and then of course the type of players and wage that he will look to be offer.....into the millions.

I think we need to remember that even if Rod was chocking on spending as much money as possible, we are a business that will have a debt facility with a lender, they will have a criteria and I am sure if we turned up and asked for millions against a fading revenue they would laugh us out of town....and I dont think the "speculate to accumulate" line will work. We have all had a good laugh at what is going on over the road over the last week, so to suggest following them to any extreme is unwanted IMO.

It's not so much a speculate to accumulate scenario, more like if you buy cheap every time you invaribly buy regularly which is more expensive in the long run. The cycle of doing just that has to be broken in my opinion, I really don't think the current crop of players are that bad collectively.

I do think that a better manager should be able to get the best out of them so need to rush out and change the whole squad again. Admittedly a new manager will want to wheel and deal a bit so let him within certain constraints. Changing managers every 12 months is not cost effective for any business unless of course you headhunt the best available confident their results will justify the decision.

Since90+2
07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Neil Lennon at 14/1? Is someone at Stan James on crack?

Out of the realistic targets its got to be Michael O'Neill for me. If we are talking fantasy land then its Martin O'Neill , might stick a huckleberry hound on at 100/1 for a double celebration just in case it happens :greengrin

HFC 0-7
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM

We wont have a debt facility with a lender apart from the mortgages, if we need cash it will come from the parent company like the cash we received off them last season.

scoopyboy
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Neil Lennon at 14/1? Is someone at Stan James on crack?

Out of the realistic targets its got to be Michael O'Neill for me. If we are talking fantasy land then its Martin O'Neill , might stick a huckleberry hound on at 100/1 for a double celebration just in case it happens :greengrin

Ian McParland at tens could be a good bet.

Pumper would take the job, several others on the list wouldn't.

hibsbollah
07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Have any of these guys had decent managerial appointments in the past where you would consider them a success even for a short period of time? Keane got the mackems promoted to the EPL on a relatively modest budget. It went sour from then on but he was widely touted as fergies obvious succesor for a good while.

Captain Trips
07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I would like it to be Gordon Strachan, not going to quit to go to OF and has good experience. IMO this is route to go down a manger totally in charge of things.

Elephant Stone
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM

There's nothing in the purse though, we lost 900K last year. Take a look around and see what's happening to other clubs who've spent what they didn't have. Hibs have worked hard to stay stable and it would be absolutely ridiculous to waste it now, especially in a climate where it would be even more dangerous to do it. Madness .:shocked:

Elephant Stone
07-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I would like it to be Gordon Strachan, not going to quit to go to OF and has good experience. IMO this is route to go down a manger totally in charge of things.

Plenty experience of not actually doing very well. Doing well at Celtic with all the money and power behind you is a completely different ball game from what it would be like managing Hibs. Look at his record where it's not so easy, it's not very good at all.

Haymaker
07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Keane got the mackems promoted to the EPL on a relatively modest budget. It went sour from then on but he was widely touted as fergies obvious succesor for a good while.

Problem with Keane is that while he did well at the Mackems he has done bugger all since then and was quite poor at Ipswich IIRC? Same with Paul Ince too, he did well at MK Dons, failed at Blackburn (apparently for his "old school" type of training) and then hasnt recreated anything at any other clubs.

Michael O'Neill might be a good shout and I hear Gary Bollan has done well at Livingston on little budget and has them playing good football?

Scouse Hibee
07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
There's nothing in the purse though, we lost 900K last year. Take a look around and see what's happening to other clubs who've spent what they didn't have. Hibs have worked hard to stay stable and it would be absolutely ridiculous to waste it now, especially in a climate where it would be even more dangerous to do it. Madness .:shocked:

It's okay don't worry about 900k, the business plan based on a new top manager will turn that around!

ScottB
07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
It's not so much a speculate to accumulate scenario, more like if you buy cheap every time you invaribly buy regularly which is more expensive in the long run. The cycle of doing just that has to be broken in my opinion, I really don't think the current crop of players are that bad collectively.

I do think that a better manager should be able to get the best out of them so need to rush out and change the whole squad again. Admittedly a new manager will want to wheel and deal a bit so let him within certain constraints. Changing managers every 12 months is not cost effective for any business unless of course you headhunt the best available confident their results will justify the decision.

To be fair, CC was no cheap option, and reportedly cost a 'six figure sum' to get him from Newcastle.

Splashing the cash is no guarantee of success, and as other have stated, probably our two cheapest options of the lot, Mowbray and Collins, were the best.

Albion Hibs
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
We wont have a debt facility with a lender apart from the mortgages, if we need cash it will come from the parent company like the cash we received off them last season.

So let me get this right, the only debt we have is a mortgage the rest comes from this magical parent company? Where does the parent company get its money from, a purpose built vault 10 storeys under the main stand that only Rod has the access code to! I dont think so, if I am not mistaken we have a mortgage but also a debt facility which will be used to run the club from a lender, Lloyds if I am not mistaken. Regardless the point was money does not grow on trees, we dont have a magical pile of cash that the parent company go and withdraw from on the 16th of each month, therefore we will have a lending criteria.

To think that any business (with the exeption of hertz and we all know how that story is about to come to an end) can borrow beyond its means / without proving a return, within a stipultated and managed timescale is simply not possible and not realistic. Alas my point of just pushing out the boat, or speculating is nothing other than Championship Manager thinking.

Kaiser1962
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM

The parent company (I assume you mean HFC Holdings) does not trade. The only company in the group that appears to trade is the football club. The holding company is wholly owned by Farmer and Petrie.

Graham Law
08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
do i know you?

Ye I know you mate :-)

nortonhibby
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Ray Wilkins, Andy Watson ? or what about that guy Stewart Baxter he always gets a mention when there is a Managers Vacancy in Scottish Football.